My daughters – ages 9 and 7 – are very disappointed that Hillary Clinton will not be the next President of the United States.  Today, Hillary officially “suspended” her candidacy and threw her full support behind Barack Obama [cnn].

As I’ve shared before, I’ve been appalled at the numerous times our daughters return home from school upset because some boys tell them what girls can’t do.  So with that in mind, I want to sincerely thank Senator Hillary Clinton for her courage and leadership and for exemplifying to my girls and to so many that they can pursue whatever they want to do.  My daughters can dance soulfully as they did last week in their school’s Talent Show [they rocked!] and some day, if they wanted and felt convicted, they can run for the President of the United States.

Whether you like or dislike Hillary Clinton, it’s [past] time to acknowledge her amazing historical candidacy as a female candidate and simply, her leadership and service to this country.  I thought her speech today was phenomenal. [Full Transcript]

Question: What did you think?

I was particularly moved by her “personal” reflections about running as a woman:

Now, on a personal note – when I was asked what it means to be a woman running for President, I always gave the same answer: that I was proud to be running as a woman but I was running because I thought I’d be the best President. But I am a woman, and like millions of women, I know there are still barriers and biases out there, often unconscious.

I want to build an America that respects and embraces the potential of every last one of us.

I ran as a daughter who benefited from opportunities my mother never dreamed of. I ran as a mother who worries about my daughter’s future and a mother who wants to lead all children to brighter tomorrows. To build that future I see, we must make sure that women and men alike understand the struggles of their grandmothers and mothers, and that women enjoy equal opportunities, equal pay, and equal respect. Let us resolve and work toward achieving some very simple propositions: There are no acceptable limits and there are no acceptable prejudices in the twenty-first century.

You can be so proud that, from now on, it will be unremarkable for a woman to win primary state victories, unremarkable to have a woman in a close race to be our nominee, unremarkable to think that a woman can be the President of the United States. And that is truly remarkable.

As we gather here today in this historic magnificent building, the 50th woman to leave this Earth is orbiting overhead. If we can blast 50 women into space, we will someday launch a woman into the White House.

Although we weren’t able to shatter that highest, hardest glass ceiling this time, thanks to you, it’s got about 18 million cracks in it. And the light is shining through like never before, filling us all with the hope and the sure knowledge that the path will be a little easier next time. That has always been the history of progress in America.

Think of the suffragists who gathered at Seneca Falls in 1848 and those who kept fighting until women could cast their votes. Think of the abolitionists who struggled and died to see the end of slavery. Think of the civil rights heroes and foot-soldiers who marched, protested and risked their lives to bring about the end to segregation and Jim Crow.

Because of them, I grew up taking for granted that women could vote. Because of them, my daughter grew up taking for granted that children of all colors could go to school together. Because of them, Barack Obama and I could wage a hard fought campaign for the Democratic nomination. Because of them, and because of you, children today will grow up taking for granted that an African American or a woman can yes, become President of the United States.

When that day arrives and a woman takes the oath of office as our President, we will all stand taller, proud of the values of our nation, proud that every little girl can dream and that her dreams can come true in America. And all of you will know that because of your passion and hard work you helped pave the way for that day.

So I want to say to my supporters, when you hear people saying – or think to yourself – “if only” or “what if,” I say, “please don’t go there.” Every moment wasted looking back keeps us from moving forward.

Down but not out. Hillary Clinton gave her concession speech on Saturday and lent her support to former rival Barack Obama.

Filed under: family, politics, ,

1. Jeff Lam says:

i particularly liked this line:

“Let us resolve and work toward achieving some very simple propositions: There are no acceptable limits and there are no acceptable prejudices in the twenty-first century.”

very cool.

2. Janet says:

I’ve been incensed how there have been so many sexist comments and jabs that have been thrown at Hillary through the media and yet, no one seems to care. It tells you how far we have yet to go!

3. gaius says:

from my viewpoint, people focus in on gender and race as proxies for the actual reasons to dislike someone… hillary, like all of us, has admirable and despicable qualities… she was certainly tough-minded and tenacious… however, i felt that the race she ran was many times unnecessarily ungracious and divisive… that being said, there are many good lessons that we can teach our daughters about their unlimited potential from her example…

4. DK says:

She should be praised for her service to this country but simultaneously, there are lessons to be learned. For one, she had way too many cooks in her kitchen and was way too overconfident which led to her demise.

5. mistiquesbest says:

You’ve all said what was needed. Even though I’m not an American citizen or even living in America I watched the speech live on CNN and was moved just because I’m a woman. That was sufficient for me to feel, what I believe to have been, her pain, not at having lost the nomination, but actually at what she may think, was disappointing the ones she represented. Still, I shed no tears, because for a woman like her it isn’t the end, but merely the beginning of an even more adventurous future. She’s not done yet.

6. beattieblog says:

I concur – it really was a fantastic speech. I’ve been hard on her and really was suspicious of what her campaign might do next. But it was easy to set that all aside yesterday and admire her toughness, committment to our country and for showing all little girls they can achieve more than previous generations of women could. I look forward to when we do elect the first woman president – we remain the only major Western country to not have had a woman head our government. Ironically, we may become the first to have a non-anglo in that role. In some way, I do think if Obama wins it will make it easier for the next woman. Fun time to be of voting age, eh?

7. sonycentric says:

Thank you Hillary! I was a die-hard volunteer and supporter from the beginning. I have followed her life since she was First Lady, when she became the Junior Senator from New York, when she wrote ‘Living History’, and when she announced her historic bid. I was drawn to tears when her bid ended yesterday (and even more last Tuesday, when I finally realized it was over).

I am not reluctant to jump on the Obama train. I have already signed up as a volunteer and I will commit myself to his campaign until the end–regardless of whether Hillary is VP or secures a special spot in his campaign. I realize, like Hillary does, that we have way too many problems to put that all on the line.

It was the best bowing-out speech I’ve ever seen; elegant, crisp, and to the point. Even though she’s 60 and has been at the forefront of politics for a while, I think it is the beginning of a new point for her. I think she has really “found her voice” and her calling through the election season, and I think she understands now who she must fight for.

She definitely has 30 more years to establish herself as the lioness of the Democratic Party–I think that’s bound to happen.

8. dmowen says:

As a white male coming from a privileged and conservative background I never really “got” Hillary or what made her so appealing to so many people, but I am glad so many women have been inspired by her effort and that she has demonstrated to young girls that there are no limits to what they can achieve and that they too can grow up to be president.

9. unnikuttan says:

she was really great. hillary, we miss you.

10. gar says:

What Mr. Lam said… I like that line, and as well as this one:

“To those who are disappointed that we couldn’t go all the way – especially the young people who put so much into this campaign – it would break my heart if, in falling short of my goal, I in any way discouraged any of you from pursuing yours. Always aim high, work hard, and care deeply about what you believe in. When you stumble, keep faith. When you’re knocked down, get right back up. And never listen to anyone who says you can’t or shouldn’t go on.”

Despite all the bumps of this campaign, I think it can be argued that HRC is now a much more influential person than before. Whether she becomes the VP nominee or continues her position in the Senate, she’ll continue be a force to be reckoned with.

11. Danielle says:

It’s a little off topic but I love that picture of your girls.

12. Diandra says:

Thank you Hilary Clinton for showing us that a woman can run for the highest office in the land. Some men generalize us as good enough to dress up and wear the clothes, makeup, jewelry and hair but have absolutely nothing consequential to say, you proved them all wrong.

13. Clint says:

The same person who tore Obama apart with words was “great”? Let’s remember that words are only as valuable as the heart behind it.

Diandra:

“Some men” are not the enemy, sin is. Don’t let your worldview be reactionary to people who don’t know the heart of God and his love for the crown of creation (women). Racism, sexism, elitism are all bad but as long as there is sin in the world, only the gospel is the powerful enough to diffuse all of it.

14. Bret says:

Just curious, how do you justify the liberal agendas of either candidate, from abortion and LIVE BIRTH abortion, to earth worship via environmentalism, to gay marriage.

All of which are direct attacks upon God, HIS word and His law, attacking His Holiness, sanctity of life and His institution of family.

Minhee and I met these college boys when we first arrived in Seattle in 1997. They were part of our bible study that we led in our apartment for college students. They were also among the group of 7 people that helped start @seattlequest.

Much has changed in the world...but not their friendship and love. Thank you Jin and George. We love and honor you. These are crazy times in our country and larger world but nevertheless, we're going to keep pursuing the things that God has placed upon our hearts. We're pressing forward...doing our part to reflect mercy, compassion, and justice - locally and globally.

Wednesdays are my @onedayswages office day and I especially love the culmination of hard work for our interns, volunteers, 2 full-time staff, and board as we collaborate with our NGO partners. This week, we signed these checks as we granted out over $75,000 to provide better health care for mothers and their families in Mali and Nepal.

THANK YOU for making this possible Your classic play it cool because you're visiting your old stomping grounds at Princeton and pretend you're not cold but in actuality, you're freezing picture. 20 years, 2 weeks, and counting. What a journey with this woman. I love her...and I want to keep growing in love, honor, and respect. Great to catch up with @jlin7 in Brooklyn at the Nets game. Grateful for his partnership with @onedayswages to support our Girls' Empowerment Fund. The season hasn't been what he hoped for with major injuries...but we can't wait to see you back on the court soon and do what you do. Stay encouraged, brother. Thanks for your faithful witness for Christ. Playoffs! Let's go #11. Point Guard. Living my hoop dreams through my girl.

pc: ed tanaka

• Don't underestimate what God can do through you. God has a very long history of using foolish and broken people for His purposes and glory. || 10 hours ago
  • The statement,"Theology doesn't matter.I just want to love Jesus!" is in itself a theological statement & proof why theology really matters. || 21 hours ago
  • Never forget. 75 years ago today (2/19/42), the USA govt issued Executive Order 9066 to send 120,000 Japanese Ameri… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 2 days ago
  • Seeking justice is part of our discipleship. In other words, seek justice not just to change the world...but to be changed more like Christ. || 3 days ago
  • Honored to have @efremsmith at Quest Church tomorrow as we continue in our annual Faith and Race series. Join us. -… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 3 days ago
  • I rarely pray for the press but lately, praying 4 their honesty & courage. Whatever our political views, we need th… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 4 days ago