an amazing gift: dying in order to give life

This past weekend, Quest Church celebrated the one year anniversary of Interbay Covenant Church merging into Quest Church.  For those that are new to this blog or not familiar with this story, carefully read and enjoy this story. It still continues to amaze me.

Interbay Church – a 65 year old, traditional, urban, older, and mostly Anglo church  – decided to “close” down and join Quest Church – a 6 year old, emerging, urban, and multiethnic churchplant.  In closing their church and merging with Quest, Interbay gave to Quest ALL of their assets which includes a church building and small warehouse valued around $7-8 million dollars.  Many of the 50 or so folks from Interbay continue to be a part of the larger Quest community. A year ago this time, I wrote an entry sharing three things [amongst several] that amazed me about this “merger”:

1. An amazing commitment to the Larger Kingdom.  The average size church in Seattle is about 80 people.  Interbay is averaging about 60 adults and 10 children.  They basically had no debt and were financially stable; While the long term future of Interbay was uncertain, it was very obvious that they could have been around for several more years.  Who knows?  There are many churches that can’t fully grasp that even churches (small ‘c’) have a life cycle as well; they try hanging on till the very end and are usually forced to make decisions with their backs against the wall.  Developers are often hawking for the opportunity to pummel down church buildings to build up condos, high-rises, retail shops, and such.  Once the larger Kingdom loses property and building, it’ll never come back. Folks at Interbay have said on numerous occasions: “What we want is to see, above all,  is a vibrant and thriving church presence in this area and to Seattle…That’s what matters to us.”  This is Kingdom vision.
  2. An amazing step of faith.  Like all works of God, there are stories of amazing faith in the history of Interbay.  The ministry at Interbay began about 65 years ago.  A man named Henry Isaacson purchased the land and handed it over to First Covenant Church Seattle.  FCC eventually deeded the property to Interbay  – a churchplant of FCC that was ‘officially’ established on Easter Sunday, 1954.  53 years of amazing history.  People like Carl and Inga Hagstrom have literally used their very hands to build the church – physically and metaphorically.  I had the pleasure of speaking with Inga recently and was moved to near tears to hear her love for Jesus and the church.  There are stories like Elsa Olson who was given a ‘temporary’ Sunday School class of 2 and 3 year olds.  That temporary job lasted 24 years and the current [and future] nursery, Elsa’s Garden, is named after Elsa.  During the early years, the children’s ministry grew to about 200 children; in the 1970s-80s, Interbay was the hub for a vibrant youth ministry.  We still have occasional customers at our non-profit Q Cafe reminiscing how their lives were impacted by their youth ministry in the same space many years ago.  Nobody likes change. It is difficult; it takes courage; it takes faith.   This is an amazing story of faith.
  3. An amazing example of generosity.  While this is a ‘merger,’ Interbay is giving a great deal as they have chosen to join Quest.  In this merger, they will relinquish their church institution – their name, their leadership team, their constitution, and simply, their ‘ways of doing things.’  A well discussed ‘Transition Plan’ will be implemented to ensure that the most important asset in any church community – the people – will not be forgotten or hurt.   All of their assets and stuff will also be given to the unifed Quest.  While their church building isn’t large, the value of the land and building is astronomical as is everything in Seattle. The building/land – valued at approximately 8 million – will also be passed on to Quest.  This is amazing generosity.

This story still convicts me, humbles me, compels me and reminds me that truly…we are called to the work of the Kingdom of God and not the kingdom of one man, one woman, one denomination, and not certainly, one church.

I’d be lying if I shared that everything was perfect and easy but the reason why this has been such a cause for celebration is because God has been clearly evident and glorified through this story.  I want to take a few words to again thank each person of the former Interbay Covenant Church – especially Pastor Ray Bartel and their leadership team – to have the courage and faith to let go of everything comfortable and familiar to join Quest.  And while the adjustments have been different, I am so proud of Quest as well for their faith, courage, and patience.

Since so many folks around the country contact me about info regarding this “merger,” here are some relevant links and reads in some sort of systematic order:

• A Letter to Interbay.  The letter I wrote on behalf of our church’s leadership team to Interbay asking them to prayerfully consider the possibilities and opportunities.
  • Wow.  Reflections after an affirming official vote for Interbay merging into Quest to become ONE church
  • We are ONE Church.  Some thoughts after our first official service together on June 3, 2007
  • The Building Renovation which we undertook over 28 intense days in August/September of 2007.  Whew.  It was intense but amazing what you can do for about $56,000.
  • The Honeymoon is Over– a report on how things were going 3 months after the official merger.
  • Media ArticlesSeattle PI article on this story | Covenant Companion article entitled, Companions in Seattle.

Filed under: religion,

1. Ann says:

Yesterday’s service was incredibly moving. Very much enjoyed hearing from different voices and from the missionaries.

2. Tyler says:

Thanks for sharing this story Eugene. I hadn’t heard it before. Clearly God had something at work long ago in the hearts of the members of Interbay. Couldn’t agree more with your 3 assessments. Awesome.

3. Pamela says:

Wow. I had no idea. This really is an amazing story!

4. Ben says:

Great service this past Sunday – The Shims are very cool.

5. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of something like this happening before. It’s a higher level of courage and clearly God-driven. Experiencing a slice of that result yesterday knocked me off my pedestal. Man that was humbling.

Yesterday’s service was incredibly emotional. So many examples of faithfulness under pressure. Hard to put into words, really. I can’t remember the last time I actively watched God at work. It seems to always be a word of mouth thing or bit of news but it was in front of my eyes at Quest yesterday.

-ian

6. bleek says:

so THIS is what he meant when he said, “They’ll know you’re my disciples when…”

7. John Scott says:

Fantastic! Our church is looking at doing something similar in the near future, so it’s great to be able to learn through your process…Thanks!

8. […] Eugene Cho reflecting on their church merger, cool story.   […]

9. […] Two years ago, the average age at Quest was 24 for women and 26 for dudes.  Thanks to the gifting of Interbay Church to Quest about 1.5 years ago, Quest is now a multi-generational church.  We’ve gone through some […]

Preach the Gospel at all times and sometimes...use signs.

Really loved this sign from one of our church congregants at the women's march.

Counter cultural. Subversive.
Life giving. Good news. To support both the equality of women and the dignity of the unborn feels like a very lonely place to be but I know we're not alone. May we press on. And may we lead with hope.

I'm at the Women's March in Seattle to show my solidarity with my wife, my mothers, my daughters, and the female congregants of my church. I'm also here to model for my son what we believe in our home. Many people have already expressed their disappointment, dismay, and disgust with my decision. Such is life. We will always disappoint someone. And that's also a lot of words that begin with "d." I'm here not because I agree or disagree with every single statement or sign at this march (although I really liked this one) but because as a Christian, I believe in the fundamental truth that women are fearfully and wonderfully made in the image of God. They are to be valued, heard, and respected.

And because I believe we can't be a flourishing society without the flourishing of women. And because the Church cannot be the Church without the gifts and voices of women. All the gifts of women.

And in doing so, may we together honor the sanctity of life - from womb to tomb. Collaboration.

col·lab·o·ra·tion
kəˌlabəˈrāSH(ə)n/
noun

the action of working with someone or a group of others  to produce or create something.

May we hold our logos, egos, and tribalism have their place. May we hold them loosely for they too shall pass. May we collaborate for the sake of the greater Kingdom of God ... which endures forever. As we honor Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., don't forget the God behind the man. The one true God who deposited this dream into MLK is still speaking to us today. Are we listening?

Be courageous. Be brave.

Being invited by the King Family to speak at the MLK worship service at Ebenezer Baptist Church in 2016 remains one of the most unexpected honors of my life. On the right is his daughter, Dr. Bernice King and his sister, Dr. Christine King Farris. Walking throughstreet markets in different parts of the world is the best. Soaking in the culture. Listening to the local language and music. Enjoying the amazing cuisine. Meeting new friends. Praying for the Gospel to penetrate. #ChiangRai Blessed be the local, indigenous leaders for it is they who live in the very communities they seek to love. For it is they who understand their context and culture...better than a Westerner ever will. For it is they who will continue to tenaciously pursue a better world with hope, justice and love when visitors like me leave.

Yes, blessed be the local, indigenous leaders.

• Preach the Gospel at all times and sometimes...use signs. Countercultural. Subversive. Life giving. Truth. - instagram.com/p/BPlwJneBSiW/ || 4 hours ago
  • Really loved this sign from the women's march from one of our church congregants. Counter cultural. Subversive. L… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 1 day ago
  • To support both the equality of women & the dignity of the unborn can be lonely but we're not alone. Lead with hope: instagram.com/p/BPjMGTOhMjL/ || 1 day ago
  • To support both the equality of women & the dignity of the unborn feels like a very lonely place to be but we're not alone. May we press on. || 1 day ago
  • Going to the Women's March in Seattle bc as a Christian, I believe women are fearfully and wonderfully made and are to be heard & respected. || 1 day ago
  • Christians: May we be guided by the Scriptures that remind us, "Seek first the Kingdom of God" and not, "Seek first the kingdom of America." || 1 day ago