give hilary a break, but not liz trotta

There’s no way to escape our imperfections.  Why?  Because we’re not perfect.  Bam.  How profound was that?  Thank you.  Thank you.  I’ll be here all week long…

I don’t care who you are.  We all make mistakes.  And anytime someone comes under the scrutiny on any level – but especially the media, it’s pretty much ‘Game Over.’  In today’s digital technology, people can bring up stuff you said, wrote, farted, gossipped, and ate years ago as evidenced by Pastor John Hagee [endorsed John McCain] and his comments about the Holocaust.  And by now, we all know the hoopla with Rev. Jeremiah Wright [ex-pastor of Barack Obama].

So, while I found Hilary Clinton’s recent comment about Bobby Kennedy’s assassination incredibly stupid, I just think we have to give her a break.  Why?  She had a brain fart and it happens to the best and worst of us.  It was a smelly brain fart but an excusable one in my nose because it simply wasn’t what she intended.

So, I’m suggesting we give Hilary Clinton a break but as for this lady, Liz Trotta, she should [insert your answer here].  * no expletives please.

While commenting on Hillary’s RFK gaffe, Liz Trotta on Fox News Channel first referred to Barack Obama as “Osama” and then laughed that they should both be killed.

My answer:  “be fired.”  Forgiven but fired.  Sorry for being so harsh but her comments – in light of the entire debacle this past week – are ridunkulous.

And if I had to cast a vote for one historical Biblical figure for President…it would be Joseph, Daniel, or Esther from the Old Testament.  They were thoroughly examined by their antagonists and they came up with nothing.  I was looking for an Asian candidate but well, it was slim pickings.  I couldn’t vote for Jesus because nothing would be accomplished in his presidency because he’d be flipping tables and cracking the whip all day long.

All day long.

And let me again remind ANYONE at Quest Church:  If you’re thinking about running for mayor, governor, or any other high office, give me at least a year warning so I can erase any controversial sermons, delete certain entries on this blog, and get a decent haircut.  If you have ambitions to run for the President of the United States someday, leave Quest – like yesterday.

Filed under: politics, religion, , , ,

1. Linda says:

Um… Ok, I’ll try to remember to warn you ahead of time. Can’t guarantee a year early though, I’m kind of spontaneous.🙂

Make sure to leave any clips of you singing and/or playing guitar.

2. Linda says:

And I have no respect for “Faux” news (or CNN) for their consistently biased reporting and disrespectful comments. I don’t need to give examples, do I?

3. Des says:

Give Hilary a break you say “Why” she won`t give us one

4. Sue says:

Shoot, Linda–even Hillary’s campaign manager says Fox News provides more balanced reporting than all the others. And you find stuff on Fox disrespectful? It was Chris Matthews on MSNBC who pulled a pretty big one regarding Hillary, not to mention the unconscionable Keith Olberman, who has been banned from the ESPN campus for life. The truth is NONE OF THEM ARE RESPECTABLE.

5. grassrootsmovement says:

While I don’t think she intended to intimate that someone assassinate Obama (simply because if she had thought it through and realized what she was saying she would know the backlash would be incredible, and she’s all about image) I think ‘Freudian slip’ is more appropriate than ‘brain fart.’ I mean, come on, tell us what you REALLY think, Hillary!

6. wishingwell says:

This woman is disgusting, a filthy aging woman that should know better than this.

7. beattieblog says:

I gotta depart from you Brother E on this one. My first inclination was definitely to give her a break for it; and while I don’t think she would really wish physical harm to Obama – ok well at least not FATAL physical harm – one reason she’s clearly staying in the race is in case something happens to sink the USS Obama. She made this exact same comment back in March and then backed off it by May and left the ‘asassination’ word out, and then went back to using it last Friday. Was it a slip? Maybe – as James Loder used to say, “the secret secretes.” Even if she doesn’t want physical harm to come to Obama, she certainly is lurking in case something happens and this comment reveals that. I need to hear Jesus’ words about forgiving because I’m getting weary of her guffaws which are at best in poor taste and at worse laced with racist and dirty undertones – I’m not saying she’s racist, just that she has no problem getting ‘racial’ about things to hurt Obama. If you haven’t wached Keith Olbermann’s “special comments” video, it’s embedded on my blog – http://beattieblog.wordpress.com/
    He may banned from ESPN but he can bring it – puts some of those fire and brimstone preachers to shame…

8. beattieblog says:

BTW, I agree with you about Miss Trotta. That’s crazy. I love the way the host jokes about it and moves on. I’m sure FOX will have a balanced response on soon………

9. Copley says:

If you use Microsoft Word, hearsay has it that Obama’s name would be recorrected or suggested to be respelled as “Osama”…

10. Clint says:

“Ridunkulous,” I should have had that copywrited….then you’d have to pay me.

11. eugenecho says:

@beattieblog: fair enough. but to defend my stance, it’s a really really stinky brain fart.

12. hmm… I thought it sounded too much like my “ridonkulous” but that may just be me reaching.

I’m glad you hit this, Eugene… my outrage meter is stuck on red, so I’m a little too fatigued to hit it.

but yeah… it’s kinda like the guy on Fox who compared his adopting a monkey to Madonna adopting those monkeys — uhhhhh — children from Africa.

I don’t necessarily think Liz should be fired, but at least suspended… I think it would be a bit disingenious for Christians who drift to the left (or at least not as far to the right) to get too hardcore on somebody like Liz who makes an offhand comment about Obama, considering how much public vitriol there is directed at GWB.

but still… in this day and age, with all the injustices that have been leveled at Blacks (even recently!) you shouldn’t just lump a known terrorist leader and the Democrat frontrunner for the Presidency together just because their names rhyme. And if you do that, even accidentally… you should be punished.

13. Bret says:

Speaking of Obama, how about his opposition to the “Born Alive Infant Protection Act”?

14. Oliver Jen says:

Doesn’t this speak more to the state of journalism as a whole than one person’s guffaw? TV and newspapers compete vigorously against one another (and newly emergent news outlets, i.e. blogs, webcasts, etc) to hold onto shrinking advertising dollars.

As a result, they adapt by pandering to one political side or another, serving up junk food journalism that doesn’t educate or enlighten but satisfies a partisan/political craving. “Journalists” say/do whatever is sensational and will polarize or excite or just keep people watching.

We should want for something better. IMHO, journalism should aspire to a higher standard; a pursuit for truth or knowledge and keeping our politicians and scientists and other leaders accountable and answering hard questions for real issues they would rather avoid altogether or toss a snappy soundbite for.

But as it stands today, I wouldn’t punish Liz Trotta at all. Like pretty much all “journalists”, in reality she’s an entertainer doing a dance and song to shock and awe and keep us watching (and hopefully buying).

Today, Minhee and I dropped off our eldest child at her college. We have been thinking and praying about this day for many years. On some days, we hoped it would never come. On other days, we couldn't wait for it to come. On some days, we prayed for time to stop and other days, we prayed with anticipation.

A flood of thoughts rushed my mind.

Is she ready?
Have we done enough?
Have we taught her enough?
What if this? What if that?

And I came home.
And I wept.
Forget my street cred.
I miss her. I love her.
She will always be my little baby.

Happy life. - Eugenius 3:16

I still remember that time, many years ago, when Minhee was pregnant with our first child. She had left her family and friends in Korea just two years before. Her morning sickness was horrible and when she finally had an appetite, she craved her favorite Korean food from certain restaurants in her neighborhood in Seoul, Korea. I had no way of getting that food from those restaurants so I actually said, "How about a Whopper? Big Mac?" Sorry honey. Eat away. You deserve it. I don't care if it sounds mushy but sunsets are one of my love languages. Seoul, Korea was amazing but WOW...what a breathtaking welcome back sunset by Seattle. Not ready to let go of summer. Seattle. 7:00pm. Desperately holding on to summer. #goldengardenpark #nofilter Happy Birthday, Minhee! I'm so grateful for you. You radiate faith, hope, and love.  No...you don't complete me. That would be silly and simply humanly impossible but you keep pointing me and our family to Christ who informs and transforms our lives, marriage, family, and ministry. Thanks for being so faithful. I love you so much. (* And what a gift to be in Korea together.)