give hilary a break, but not liz trotta

There’s no way to escape our imperfections.  Why?  Because we’re not perfect.  Bam.  How profound was that?  Thank you.  Thank you.  I’ll be here all week long…

I don’t care who you are.  We all make mistakes.  And anytime someone comes under the scrutiny on any level – but especially the media, it’s pretty much ‘Game Over.’  In today’s digital technology, people can bring up stuff you said, wrote, farted, gossipped, and ate years ago as evidenced by Pastor John Hagee [endorsed John McCain] and his comments about the Holocaust.  And by now, we all know the hoopla with Rev. Jeremiah Wright [ex-pastor of Barack Obama].

So, while I found Hilary Clinton’s recent comment about Bobby Kennedy’s assassination incredibly stupid, I just think we have to give her a break.  Why?  She had a brain fart and it happens to the best and worst of us.  It was a smelly brain fart but an excusable one in my nose because it simply wasn’t what she intended.

So, I’m suggesting we give Hilary Clinton a break but as for this lady, Liz Trotta, she should [insert your answer here].  * no expletives please.

While commenting on Hillary’s RFK gaffe, Liz Trotta on Fox News Channel first referred to Barack Obama as “Osama” and then laughed that they should both be killed.

My answer:  “be fired.”  Forgiven but fired.  Sorry for being so harsh but her comments – in light of the entire debacle this past week – are ridunkulous.

And if I had to cast a vote for one historical Biblical figure for President…it would be Joseph, Daniel, or Esther from the Old Testament.  They were thoroughly examined by their antagonists and they came up with nothing.  I was looking for an Asian candidate but well, it was slim pickings.  I couldn’t vote for Jesus because nothing would be accomplished in his presidency because he’d be flipping tables and cracking the whip all day long.

All day long.

And let me again remind ANYONE at Quest Church:  If you’re thinking about running for mayor, governor, or any other high office, give me at least a year warning so I can erase any controversial sermons, delete certain entries on this blog, and get a decent haircut.  If you have ambitions to run for the President of the United States someday, leave Quest – like yesterday.

Filed under: politics, religion, , , ,

1. Linda says:

Um… Ok, I’ll try to remember to warn you ahead of time. Can’t guarantee a year early though, I’m kind of spontaneous. 🙂

Make sure to leave any clips of you singing and/or playing guitar.

2. Linda says:

And I have no respect for “Faux” news (or CNN) for their consistently biased reporting and disrespectful comments. I don’t need to give examples, do I?

3. Des says:

Give Hilary a break you say “Why” she won`t give us one

4. Sue says:

Shoot, Linda–even Hillary’s campaign manager says Fox News provides more balanced reporting than all the others. And you find stuff on Fox disrespectful? It was Chris Matthews on MSNBC who pulled a pretty big one regarding Hillary, not to mention the unconscionable Keith Olberman, who has been banned from the ESPN campus for life. The truth is NONE OF THEM ARE RESPECTABLE.

5. grassrootsmovement says:

While I don’t think she intended to intimate that someone assassinate Obama (simply because if she had thought it through and realized what she was saying she would know the backlash would be incredible, and she’s all about image) I think ‘Freudian slip’ is more appropriate than ‘brain fart.’ I mean, come on, tell us what you REALLY think, Hillary!

6. wishingwell says:

This woman is disgusting, a filthy aging woman that should know better than this.

7. beattieblog says:

I gotta depart from you Brother E on this one. My first inclination was definitely to give her a break for it; and while I don’t think she would really wish physical harm to Obama – ok well at least not FATAL physical harm – one reason she’s clearly staying in the race is in case something happens to sink the USS Obama. She made this exact same comment back in March and then backed off it by May and left the ‘asassination’ word out, and then went back to using it last Friday. Was it a slip? Maybe – as James Loder used to say, “the secret secretes.” Even if she doesn’t want physical harm to come to Obama, she certainly is lurking in case something happens and this comment reveals that. I need to hear Jesus’ words about forgiving because I’m getting weary of her guffaws which are at best in poor taste and at worse laced with racist and dirty undertones – I’m not saying she’s racist, just that she has no problem getting ‘racial’ about things to hurt Obama. If you haven’t wached Keith Olbermann’s “special comments” video, it’s embedded on my blog – http://beattieblog.wordpress.com/
    He may banned from ESPN but he can bring it – puts some of those fire and brimstone preachers to shame…

8. beattieblog says:

BTW, I agree with you about Miss Trotta. That’s crazy. I love the way the host jokes about it and moves on. I’m sure FOX will have a balanced response on soon………

9. Copley says:

If you use Microsoft Word, hearsay has it that Obama’s name would be recorrected or suggested to be respelled as “Osama”…

10. Clint says:

“Ridunkulous,” I should have had that copywrited….then you’d have to pay me.

11. eugenecho says:

@beattieblog: fair enough. but to defend my stance, it’s a really really stinky brain fart.

12. hmm… I thought it sounded too much like my “ridonkulous” but that may just be me reaching.

I’m glad you hit this, Eugene… my outrage meter is stuck on red, so I’m a little too fatigued to hit it.

but yeah… it’s kinda like the guy on Fox who compared his adopting a monkey to Madonna adopting those monkeys — uhhhhh — children from Africa.

I don’t necessarily think Liz should be fired, but at least suspended… I think it would be a bit disingenious for Christians who drift to the left (or at least not as far to the right) to get too hardcore on somebody like Liz who makes an offhand comment about Obama, considering how much public vitriol there is directed at GWB.

but still… in this day and age, with all the injustices that have been leveled at Blacks (even recently!) you shouldn’t just lump a known terrorist leader and the Democrat frontrunner for the Presidency together just because their names rhyme. And if you do that, even accidentally… you should be punished.

13. Bret says:

Speaking of Obama, how about his opposition to the “Born Alive Infant Protection Act”?

14. Oliver Jen says:

Doesn’t this speak more to the state of journalism as a whole than one person’s guffaw? TV and newspapers compete vigorously against one another (and newly emergent news outlets, i.e. blogs, webcasts, etc) to hold onto shrinking advertising dollars.

As a result, they adapt by pandering to one political side or another, serving up junk food journalism that doesn’t educate or enlighten but satisfies a partisan/political craving. “Journalists” say/do whatever is sensational and will polarize or excite or just keep people watching.

We should want for something better. IMHO, journalism should aspire to a higher standard; a pursuit for truth or knowledge and keeping our politicians and scientists and other leaders accountable and answering hard questions for real issues they would rather avoid altogether or toss a snappy soundbite for.

But as it stands today, I wouldn’t punish Liz Trotta at all. Like pretty much all “journalists”, in reality she’s an entertainer doing a dance and song to shock and awe and keep us watching (and hopefully buying).

Father, please bless and protect these Iraqi and Syrian "refugee" children that have already endured so much. Protect their hearts and mind from unfathomable trauma. Plant seeds of hope and vision in their lives. And as we pray for them, teach us how to advocate for them. Amen. "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." -  local Iraqi priest whose church has welcomed many "relatives" to their church's property

It's always a privilege to be invited into peoples' home for tea - even if it's a temporary tent. This is an extended Yezidi family that fled the Mosul, Iraq area because of ISIS. It's indeed true that Christians were targeted by ISIS and thatbstory muat be shared but other minority groups like the Yezidis were also targeted. Some of their heartbreaking stories included the kidnapping of their sister. They shared that their father passed away shortly of a "broken heart." The conversation was emotional but afterwards, we asked each other for permission to take photos. Once the selfies came out, the real smiles came out.

So friends: Pray for Iraq. Pray for the persecuted Church. Pray for Christians, minority groups like the Yezidis who fear they will e completely wiped out in the Middle East,, and Muslims alike who are all suffering under ISIS. Friends: I'm traveling in the Middle East this week - Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. (Make sure you follow my pics/stories on IG stories). Specifically, I'm here representing @onedayswages to meet, learn, and listen to pastors, local leaders, NGOs, and of course directly from refugees from within these countries - including many from Syria.

For security purposes, I haven't been able to share at all but I'm now able to start sharing some photos and stories. For now, I'll be sharing numerous photos through my IG stories and will be sharing some longer written pieces in couple months when ODW launches another wave of partnerships to come alongside refugees in these areas. Four of us are traveling together also for the purpose of creating a short documentary that we hope to release early next year.

While I'm on my church sabbatical, it's truly a privilege to be able to come to these countries and to meet local pastors and indigenous leaders that tirelessly pursue peace and justice, and to hear directly from refugees. I've read so many various articles and pieces over the years and I thought I was prepared but it has been jarring, heartbreaking,  and gut wrenching. In the midst of such chaos, there's hope but there's also a lot of questions, too.

I hope you follow along as I share photos, stories, and help release this mini-documentary. Please tag friends that might be interested.

Please pray for safety, for empathy, for humility and integrity, for divine meetings. Pray that we listen well; To be present and not just be a consumer of these vulnerable stories. That's my biggest prayer.

Special thanks to @worldvisionusa and @worldrelief for hosting us on this journey. 9/11
Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.

Today, I had some gut wrenching and heart breaking conversations about war, violence, and peacemaking. Mostly, I listened. Never in my wildest imagination did I envision having these conversations on 9/11 of all days. I wish I could share more now but I hope to later after I process them for a few days.

But indeed: Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.
May it be so. Amen. Mount Rainier is simply epic. There's nothing like flying in and out of Seattle.

#mountrainier
#seattle
#northwestisbest Took a train to Busan. Did not encounter any zombies but I was ready just in case.

Busan. First visit to this city (couple weeks ago) and was blown away by its beauty. Also, shocked that it has become the fifth largest containment port city in the world. That's a lot of import and export.

#MyAttemptToBeTheBestSmartphonePhotographer
#Pusan #SouthKorea

• Every convo with Iraqi/Syrian refugees included: 1 Have tea with us 2 We want peace 3 We hate ISIS 4 We want to go home 5 Don't forget us || 6 hours ago
  • Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan to assess @OneDaysWages' partnerships & to film mini-documentary on refugee crisis. So many emotions. || 6 hours ago
  • Pray for Mexico. For those mourning loved ones. For those fighting for life - even under rubbles. For rescue workers. Lord, in your mercy. || 6 hours ago
  • Don't underestimate what God can do through you. God has a very long history of using foolish and broken people for His purposes and glory. || 2 days ago
  • Father, bless these Iraqi and Syrian refugee children that have already endured so much. As we pray, teach us how t… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 4 days ago
  • Pray for Iraq. Pray for persecuted Church, minority groups (Yezidis) and Muslims alike who are suffering under ISIS: instagram.com/p/BZF2j6Ngrna/ || 4 days ago