give hilary a break, but not liz trotta

There’s no way to escape our imperfections.  Why?  Because we’re not perfect.  Bam.  How profound was that?  Thank you.  Thank you.  I’ll be here all week long…

I don’t care who you are.  We all make mistakes.  And anytime someone comes under the scrutiny on any level – but especially the media, it’s pretty much ‘Game Over.’  In today’s digital technology, people can bring up stuff you said, wrote, farted, gossipped, and ate years ago as evidenced by Pastor John Hagee [endorsed John McCain] and his comments about the Holocaust.  And by now, we all know the hoopla with Rev. Jeremiah Wright [ex-pastor of Barack Obama].

So, while I found Hilary Clinton’s recent comment about Bobby Kennedy’s assassination incredibly stupid, I just think we have to give her a break.  Why?  She had a brain fart and it happens to the best and worst of us.  It was a smelly brain fart but an excusable one in my nose because it simply wasn’t what she intended.

So, I’m suggesting we give Hilary Clinton a break but as for this lady, Liz Trotta, she should [insert your answer here].  * no expletives please.

While commenting on Hillary’s RFK gaffe, Liz Trotta on Fox News Channel first referred to Barack Obama as “Osama” and then laughed that they should both be killed.

My answer:  “be fired.”  Forgiven but fired.  Sorry for being so harsh but her comments – in light of the entire debacle this past week – are ridunkulous.

And if I had to cast a vote for one historical Biblical figure for President…it would be Joseph, Daniel, or Esther from the Old Testament.  They were thoroughly examined by their antagonists and they came up with nothing.  I was looking for an Asian candidate but well, it was slim pickings.  I couldn’t vote for Jesus because nothing would be accomplished in his presidency because he’d be flipping tables and cracking the whip all day long.

All day long.

And let me again remind ANYONE at Quest Church:  If you’re thinking about running for mayor, governor, or any other high office, give me at least a year warning so I can erase any controversial sermons, delete certain entries on this blog, and get a decent haircut.  If you have ambitions to run for the President of the United States someday, leave Quest – like yesterday.

Filed under: politics, religion, , , ,

1. Linda says:

Um… Ok, I’ll try to remember to warn you ahead of time. Can’t guarantee a year early though, I’m kind of spontaneous. 🙂

Make sure to leave any clips of you singing and/or playing guitar.

2. Linda says:

And I have no respect for “Faux” news (or CNN) for their consistently biased reporting and disrespectful comments. I don’t need to give examples, do I?

3. Des says:

Give Hilary a break you say “Why” she won`t give us one

4. Sue says:

Shoot, Linda–even Hillary’s campaign manager says Fox News provides more balanced reporting than all the others. And you find stuff on Fox disrespectful? It was Chris Matthews on MSNBC who pulled a pretty big one regarding Hillary, not to mention the unconscionable Keith Olberman, who has been banned from the ESPN campus for life. The truth is NONE OF THEM ARE RESPECTABLE.

5. grassrootsmovement says:

While I don’t think she intended to intimate that someone assassinate Obama (simply because if she had thought it through and realized what she was saying she would know the backlash would be incredible, and she’s all about image) I think ‘Freudian slip’ is more appropriate than ‘brain fart.’ I mean, come on, tell us what you REALLY think, Hillary!

6. wishingwell says:

This woman is disgusting, a filthy aging woman that should know better than this.

7. beattieblog says:

I gotta depart from you Brother E on this one. My first inclination was definitely to give her a break for it; and while I don’t think she would really wish physical harm to Obama – ok well at least not FATAL physical harm – one reason she’s clearly staying in the race is in case something happens to sink the USS Obama. She made this exact same comment back in March and then backed off it by May and left the ‘asassination’ word out, and then went back to using it last Friday. Was it a slip? Maybe – as James Loder used to say, “the secret secretes.” Even if she doesn’t want physical harm to come to Obama, she certainly is lurking in case something happens and this comment reveals that. I need to hear Jesus’ words about forgiving because I’m getting weary of her guffaws which are at best in poor taste and at worse laced with racist and dirty undertones – I’m not saying she’s racist, just that she has no problem getting ‘racial’ about things to hurt Obama. If you haven’t wached Keith Olbermann’s “special comments” video, it’s embedded on my blog – http://beattieblog.wordpress.com/
    He may banned from ESPN but he can bring it – puts some of those fire and brimstone preachers to shame…

8. beattieblog says:

BTW, I agree with you about Miss Trotta. That’s crazy. I love the way the host jokes about it and moves on. I’m sure FOX will have a balanced response on soon………

9. Copley says:

If you use Microsoft Word, hearsay has it that Obama’s name would be recorrected or suggested to be respelled as “Osama”…

10. Clint says:

“Ridunkulous,” I should have had that copywrited….then you’d have to pay me.

11. eugenecho says:

@beattieblog: fair enough. but to defend my stance, it’s a really really stinky brain fart.

12. hmm… I thought it sounded too much like my “ridonkulous” but that may just be me reaching.

I’m glad you hit this, Eugene… my outrage meter is stuck on red, so I’m a little too fatigued to hit it.

but yeah… it’s kinda like the guy on Fox who compared his adopting a monkey to Madonna adopting those monkeys — uhhhhh — children from Africa.

I don’t necessarily think Liz should be fired, but at least suspended… I think it would be a bit disingenious for Christians who drift to the left (or at least not as far to the right) to get too hardcore on somebody like Liz who makes an offhand comment about Obama, considering how much public vitriol there is directed at GWB.

but still… in this day and age, with all the injustices that have been leveled at Blacks (even recently!) you shouldn’t just lump a known terrorist leader and the Democrat frontrunner for the Presidency together just because their names rhyme. And if you do that, even accidentally… you should be punished.

13. Bret says:

Speaking of Obama, how about his opposition to the “Born Alive Infant Protection Act”?

14. Oliver Jen says:

Doesn’t this speak more to the state of journalism as a whole than one person’s guffaw? TV and newspapers compete vigorously against one another (and newly emergent news outlets, i.e. blogs, webcasts, etc) to hold onto shrinking advertising dollars.

As a result, they adapt by pandering to one political side or another, serving up junk food journalism that doesn’t educate or enlighten but satisfies a partisan/political craving. “Journalists” say/do whatever is sensational and will polarize or excite or just keep people watching.

We should want for something better. IMHO, journalism should aspire to a higher standard; a pursuit for truth or knowledge and keeping our politicians and scientists and other leaders accountable and answering hard questions for real issues they would rather avoid altogether or toss a snappy soundbite for.

But as it stands today, I wouldn’t punish Liz Trotta at all. Like pretty much all “journalists”, in reality she’s an entertainer doing a dance and song to shock and awe and keep us watching (and hopefully buying).

We have to remind ourselves of this truth every day lest we forget:

Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant.

Be faithful.

PS: Also, it helps to get some Vitamin D especially if you live in the rainy Northwest Thank you, Brooklyn, for the reminder. Umm, @jlin7 is a Christian but he wasn't very Christlike with me on the basketball court. He muscled me into the paint, dunked on me, mentioned my momma, and then said, "Stick with preaching." Just kidding. Kind of.

If you haven't heard, Jeremy Lin is donating his one games wages (approximately $140,000) and an additional $100 for every 3 pointer made to support Girls' Empowerment and Education through @onedayswages. That game is this Friday vs the Boston Celtics!

Join his campaign as he's inviting his fans to donate just $7. - http://onedayswages.org/jlin

Did you know that 32 million girls of lower secondary school age are not enrolled in school.

Did you know that every year of secondary school increases a girl’s future earning power by 20 percent.

Did you know that if all girls in Sub-Saharan Africa, South and West Asia had a secondary education, child marriage would fall by 64 percent.

We can't change the entire world but we can impact the lives of one, few, and in some cases...many.

#jeremylin #jlin #linsanity #onedayswages Don't be held captive to either praise or criticism.

Know who you are.
Know what you're about.
Know WHO you serve.

The answer to who you serve makes all the difference... It's the day after International Women's Day - and it's still important to celebrate the contribution of women in our lives, society, and world. As we honor women all around the world, I'm also reminded of how women and children are those who are most deeply impacted by injustice - especially poverty.

Sadly, I have witnessed this reality in too many places. ​In 2012, I traveled to a remote area in Eastern Kenya as part of a @onedayswages response to a famine that struck the Horn of Africa region. This famine impacted nearly 13 million people and according to some sources, took the lives of about 250,000 people. During my trip there, I had the chance of meeting many people but the person that still remains in my memory was a Muslim woman named Sahara.

She was so hospitable in inviting us to her small and temporary home. During our conversation, I learned that ​Sahara traveled 300 kilometers (a little under 200 miles) – some by cart and some by foot – as they sought to escape the worst drought that has impacted East Africa (Kenya, Somalia, and Ethiopia) in the past 60 years.

This is not a misprint.
200.

She traveled about 200 miles on cart and foot. ​And all along, she was ill. If you look closely ​at the photo, you might notice the large lump in her throat - likely a large cancerous tumor.​ She did not travel alone. She traveled with her husband who I was not able to meet because he was staying with one of his five other wives in this polygamist community.  She did not travel alone. She also traveled with her six children – the youngest being about 1 and the oldest being around 8. She had just given birth to her sixth child when they began her journey. Her youngest was severely malnourished when they arrived to this new settlement in a town called Benane.
Sahara and her children all survived this journey. They survived because she persisted.
In honor of Sahara...and so many other women who keep...keeping on. I have to remind myself of this every day...because I can forget every day:

Don't be lazy and make assumptions about people. Ask about their story. Then listen. Be humble. Be teachable. Be human. Be a good neighbor.