give hilary a break, but not liz trotta

There’s no way to escape our imperfections.  Why?  Because we’re not perfect.  Bam.  How profound was that?  Thank you.  Thank you.  I’ll be here all week long…

I don’t care who you are.  We all make mistakes.  And anytime someone comes under the scrutiny on any level – but especially the media, it’s pretty much ‘Game Over.’  In today’s digital technology, people can bring up stuff you said, wrote, farted, gossipped, and ate years ago as evidenced by Pastor John Hagee [endorsed John McCain] and his comments about the Holocaust.  And by now, we all know the hoopla with Rev. Jeremiah Wright [ex-pastor of Barack Obama].

So, while I found Hilary Clinton’s recent comment about Bobby Kennedy’s assassination incredibly stupid, I just think we have to give her a break.  Why?  She had a brain fart and it happens to the best and worst of us.  It was a smelly brain fart but an excusable one in my nose because it simply wasn’t what she intended.

So, I’m suggesting we give Hilary Clinton a break but as for this lady, Liz Trotta, she should [insert your answer here].  * no expletives please.

While commenting on Hillary’s RFK gaffe, Liz Trotta on Fox News Channel first referred to Barack Obama as “Osama” and then laughed that they should both be killed.

My answer:  “be fired.”  Forgiven but fired.  Sorry for being so harsh but her comments – in light of the entire debacle this past week – are ridunkulous.

And if I had to cast a vote for one historical Biblical figure for President…it would be Joseph, Daniel, or Esther from the Old Testament.  They were thoroughly examined by their antagonists and they came up with nothing.  I was looking for an Asian candidate but well, it was slim pickings.  I couldn’t vote for Jesus because nothing would be accomplished in his presidency because he’d be flipping tables and cracking the whip all day long.

All day long.

And let me again remind ANYONE at Quest Church:  If you’re thinking about running for mayor, governor, or any other high office, give me at least a year warning so I can erase any controversial sermons, delete certain entries on this blog, and get a decent haircut.  If you have ambitions to run for the President of the United States someday, leave Quest – like yesterday.

Filed under: politics, religion, , , ,

1. Linda says:

Um… Ok, I’ll try to remember to warn you ahead of time. Can’t guarantee a year early though, I’m kind of spontaneous. 🙂

Make sure to leave any clips of you singing and/or playing guitar.

2. Linda says:

And I have no respect for “Faux” news (or CNN) for their consistently biased reporting and disrespectful comments. I don’t need to give examples, do I?

3. Des says:

Give Hilary a break you say “Why” she won`t give us one

4. Sue says:

Shoot, Linda–even Hillary’s campaign manager says Fox News provides more balanced reporting than all the others. And you find stuff on Fox disrespectful? It was Chris Matthews on MSNBC who pulled a pretty big one regarding Hillary, not to mention the unconscionable Keith Olberman, who has been banned from the ESPN campus for life. The truth is NONE OF THEM ARE RESPECTABLE.

5. grassrootsmovement says:

While I don’t think she intended to intimate that someone assassinate Obama (simply because if she had thought it through and realized what she was saying she would know the backlash would be incredible, and she’s all about image) I think ‘Freudian slip’ is more appropriate than ‘brain fart.’ I mean, come on, tell us what you REALLY think, Hillary!

6. wishingwell says:

This woman is disgusting, a filthy aging woman that should know better than this.

7. beattieblog says:

I gotta depart from you Brother E on this one. My first inclination was definitely to give her a break for it; and while I don’t think she would really wish physical harm to Obama – ok well at least not FATAL physical harm – one reason she’s clearly staying in the race is in case something happens to sink the USS Obama. She made this exact same comment back in March and then backed off it by May and left the ‘asassination’ word out, and then went back to using it last Friday. Was it a slip? Maybe – as James Loder used to say, “the secret secretes.” Even if she doesn’t want physical harm to come to Obama, she certainly is lurking in case something happens and this comment reveals that. I need to hear Jesus’ words about forgiving because I’m getting weary of her guffaws which are at best in poor taste and at worse laced with racist and dirty undertones – I’m not saying she’s racist, just that she has no problem getting ‘racial’ about things to hurt Obama. If you haven’t wached Keith Olbermann’s “special comments” video, it’s embedded on my blog – http://beattieblog.wordpress.com/
    He may banned from ESPN but he can bring it – puts some of those fire and brimstone preachers to shame…

8. beattieblog says:

BTW, I agree with you about Miss Trotta. That’s crazy. I love the way the host jokes about it and moves on. I’m sure FOX will have a balanced response on soon………

9. Copley says:

If you use Microsoft Word, hearsay has it that Obama’s name would be recorrected or suggested to be respelled as “Osama”…

10. Clint says:

“Ridunkulous,” I should have had that copywrited….then you’d have to pay me.

11. eugenecho says:

@beattieblog: fair enough. but to defend my stance, it’s a really really stinky brain fart.

12. hmm… I thought it sounded too much like my “ridonkulous” but that may just be me reaching.

I’m glad you hit this, Eugene… my outrage meter is stuck on red, so I’m a little too fatigued to hit it.

but yeah… it’s kinda like the guy on Fox who compared his adopting a monkey to Madonna adopting those monkeys — uhhhhh — children from Africa.

I don’t necessarily think Liz should be fired, but at least suspended… I think it would be a bit disingenious for Christians who drift to the left (or at least not as far to the right) to get too hardcore on somebody like Liz who makes an offhand comment about Obama, considering how much public vitriol there is directed at GWB.

but still… in this day and age, with all the injustices that have been leveled at Blacks (even recently!) you shouldn’t just lump a known terrorist leader and the Democrat frontrunner for the Presidency together just because their names rhyme. And if you do that, even accidentally… you should be punished.

13. Bret says:

Speaking of Obama, how about his opposition to the “Born Alive Infant Protection Act”?

14. Oliver Jen says:

Doesn’t this speak more to the state of journalism as a whole than one person’s guffaw? TV and newspapers compete vigorously against one another (and newly emergent news outlets, i.e. blogs, webcasts, etc) to hold onto shrinking advertising dollars.

As a result, they adapt by pandering to one political side or another, serving up junk food journalism that doesn’t educate or enlighten but satisfies a partisan/political craving. “Journalists” say/do whatever is sensational and will polarize or excite or just keep people watching.

We should want for something better. IMHO, journalism should aspire to a higher standard; a pursuit for truth or knowledge and keeping our politicians and scientists and other leaders accountable and answering hard questions for real issues they would rather avoid altogether or toss a snappy soundbite for.

But as it stands today, I wouldn’t punish Liz Trotta at all. Like pretty much all “journalists”, in reality she’s an entertainer doing a dance and song to shock and awe and keep us watching (and hopefully buying).

In our culture, we can be so obsessed with the "spectacular" or "glamorous." The Church often engagws in thia language and paradigm...but what if God has called many of us to small, ordinary things?

Will we still be faithful?
Will we still go about such things with great love and joy?

I recently came across this picture taken by @mattylew, one of our church staff...and I started tearing up: This is my mother; in her 70s; with realities of some disabilities that make it difficult for her to stand up and sit down...but here she is on her knees and prostate in prayer. She doesn't have any social media accounts, barely knows how to use her smartphone, doesn't have a platform, hasn't written a book, doesn't have any titles in our church, isn't listed as a leader or an expert or a consultant or a guru. But she simply seeks to do her best - by God's grace - to be faithful to God. She prays for hours every day inteceding for our family, our church, and the larger world.

Even if we're not noticed or celebrated or elevated...let's be faithful. Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant. And not even successful in the eyes of the world.

Be faithful. Amen. #notetoself (and maybe helpful for someone else)

At times, we have to say ‘NO’ to good things to say ‘YES’ to the most important things.

We can't do it all.
Pray and choose wisely.
Then invest deeply. May our compassion not just be limited to the West or to those that look like us. Lifting up the people of Iraq, Iran, and Kurdistan in prayer after the 7.3 earthquake - including the many new friends I met on a recent trip to Iraq.

The death toll rises to over 400 and over 7,000 injured in multiple cities and hundreds of villages along the Western border with Iraq.

Lord, in your mercy... We are reminded again and again...that we are Resurrection People living in a Dark Friday world.

It's been a tough, emotional, and painful week - especially as we lament the horrible tragedy of the church shootings at Sutherland Springs. In the midst of this lament, I've been carried by the hope, beauty, and promise of our baptisms last Sunday and the raw and honest testimonies of God's mercy, love, and grace.

Indeed, God is not yet done. May we take heart for Christ has overcome the world. "Without genuine relationships with the poor, we rob them of their dignity and they become mere projects. And God did not intend for anyone to become our projects." Grateful this quote from my book, Overrated, is resonating with so many folks - individuals and  NGOs. / design by @preemptivelove .
May we keep working