rick warren is my homeboy

Rick Warren’s  Purpose Driven Network Summit conference begins today.  It’s also being referred by several as the “Stealth Conference” since this was an unadvertised invitation-only pastors conference.  They are expecting 1500 or so pastors and again, I didn’t make the cut.  It’s possible that Pastor Rick may have gotten hold of the rumor that I was trying to publish a book entitled 39 Days of Purpose Driven Life [ref:  There’s Something About Mary – either you get it or you don’t].

I haven’t read much of Pastor Rick’s stuff but I respect [and like] him immensely as he and his wife are exhorting the larger church to think beyond themselves via the P.E.A.C.E. Plan.  They are doing some great stuff.

But having said that, not everyone likes Rick.  Check out this invitation to and brutal rejection from Ingrid “Slice of Laodicea” Schlueter.  Seriously, if you want to get some serious traffic to your blog, just piss off one of these watchdog folks.  I was stunned how much traffic I got from one of these folks last year.

Hi Ingrid,

On behalf of Pastor Rick Warren, I would like to personally invite you to attend this years Purpose Driven Church Gathering (May 20-22) at our wonderful campus in Lake Forest, California. Pastor Rick would not only like to invite you, but pay for you to come out and spend three days with this group of national and global leaders. We are anticipating close to 2,000 leaders will gather to learn from our guest speakers. The only request we have is that you please wait to share your thoughts until the conference has completed. This will give you the best chance to listen and learn before responding. Lastly, I would like to include you in an open discussion time with Pastor Rick and a few other leaders on Thursday, May 22nd.

I truly hope you will accept this wonderful offer to come and learn. Please let me know by Monday, May 12th if we can count on you joining us. If you can, I will have our travel agent connect with you to take care of your travel needs. To learn more about this great gathering please click here PDC Gathering.

Sincerely,

Erik Rees
Saddleback Church
1 Saddleback Parkway
Lake Forest, CA 92630

Dear Erik,

I am in receipt of your invitation offering an all-expenses paid trip to Saddleback’s worship conference. I cannot accept your invitation. In the world of live church webcasts, book publishers, websites and so on, it is no longer necessary to travel to see a church to understand what it is all about. Your pastor’s copious writings, speeches and sermons are online and available for everyone to see and analyze in the light of God’s Word.

No amount of time spent with Rick Warren or the worship conference leaders at Saddleback can change basic facts. One of your speakers, Pastor Mark Batterson, recently referred readers on his website to the writings of New Age teacher, Eckhart Tolle, featured by Oprah Winfrey. He said that Tolle’s book, Practicing the Power of Now, was instrumental in the way he thought about life. I could not sit and listen to someone with that lack of discernment. Also featured at your worship conference is Pastor Jentezen Franklin, of the Free Chapel in Gainesville, Georgia. This is the pastor who featured a Michael Jackson Thriller dance on his church platform at a Halloween-themed service, complete with a haunted house set-up on stage. Again, how could I sit under that kind of pastor to learn about worship of the Most High God? Additionally, you have Pastor Mark Driscoll as a speaker. Mark’s filthy language and vulgarity is not fit for any woman’s ears, and I’m not about to subject myself to his disobedient use of coarse jesting in the name of ministry. It does not comport with the Scripture’s requirements for conduct in the office of the ministry. Pastor Mark Beeson of Granger Community Church will also be there to speak on the subject of worship. I cannot listen to a “pastor” who claims personal responsibility for the sex-sermon-campaigns by churches across the nation. These campaigns have brought complaints even from the unregenerate who are sick of their children getting hit with lewd materials in public places. Any pastor who is responsible for this kind of filth has nothing to share on the subject of worshiping our holy God.

Pastor Rick Warren has had vast financial resources to share with the world his solution to mankind’s problems. He, unfortunately, has chosen to introduce an entirely new generation to a social gospel, rather than the exclusive message of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It is telling that none of the E’s in his P.E.A.C.E. plan stand for “evangelism”. This is wrong.

I cannot agree to Rick Warren’s invitation. He has been biblically confronted repeatedly by those far more able than I regarding his numerous unbiblical teachings and the damage they have done to churches nationwide. We are to worship the Lord both in spirit and in truth. The mixture of truth and error is a dangerous combination spiritually, and that is why I will not be coming to Saddleback.

Sincerely,

Ingrid Schlueter
VCY America Radio Network

(HT: MMI)

Filed under: religion,

1. Daniel says:

That Ingrid is one scary lady. Wow, I thought I disliked Rick Warren. 🙂

2. Linda says:

Oh my — It’s extremely encouraging to know that there are people who stand up for their beliefs. I didn’t know any of those other pastors or what they’ve done, but it again taught me to be discerning in the future before blindly following the popularity.

PE I can’t believe I’ve learned so much about churches and the people who involved in it in the few months I’ve started reading your blog. Always thought-provoking. For the past several years, I’d still been considering myself new to Christianity, still learning the rules and history of the game… but under your leadership and encouragement to question common practices, challenge myself to grow spiritually and spread the Word fearlessly, I can finally start to turn the mentality from “guest” to “host” in the unwalled church.

3. John Scott says:

And to think, I’m sure she toned down the letter from what she really wanted to say! I wonder how that letter would have read…

4. cool dad says:

I, like Linda, am unfamiliar with most of pastors’ names that Ingrid pointed out. However, I’m not new to Christianity.

I’m glad that I don’t know the “big names” in American Christendom. The only name I want to idolize is Christ. I frequently do a poor job of it, but I want to live to do it nonetheless.

5. rizzo says:

Awesome, another elitist, judgmental, Christian “leader.” You may not agree with the techniques of the above pastors but at least they’re trying to get different leadership styles together to talk. If she wants to be heard she SHOULD attend and then voice her concerns and at least let the “assailants” speak to those concerns. When I read things like this I begin to realize why the Christian community (particularly the Protestant community) is and will always remain splintered. So sad.

6. danielktaylor says:

I find it interesting that she bashed him for his lack of evangelism in PEACE. How much good news sharing goes on at slice?

7. ryanbd says:

Well, I think it would be interesting for her to go and have a chance to express her feelings. I can understand her frustrations with some of the names listed. It’s impressive that her opposition was so broad (not in neccessarily a cool way, just wild she’s got throws her net that wide). I think Rick does deserve some props for not always playing it safe. Plus, he and Obama are buddies . 🙂

8. ryanbd says:

oops – meant also to say that Rick’s willingness to gather a variety of voices that aren’t unified on every issue reminds me of Jesus. It seems JC was always willing to piss folks off by hanging with them and then crossing the street to have dinnner with their rivals. Eugene, my invite must have gotten filtered out of my email too.

9. eugenecho says:

fwiw, i changed the title of this post. got couple emails from folks that perceived i was knocking rick warren.

he’s my homeboy.

10. Alan Klug says:

It makes me sad that we spend so much time tearing people down, and so much less time building people up. Although I respect him, I’m not a big Rick Warren fan, per se, but the tone and content of this letter seem to undermine the intent. However, PE, instead of googling for articles that mention Driscoll negatively and then insisting that you’re not trying to beef, come out and (to include some humor) be a man about it.

11. ryanbd says:

Alan, quit beating around the bush. 🙂

12. Joe Louthan says:

I totally understand Ingrid’s point of view. I am very familiar with most of the pastors that Ingrid had mentioned.

The holy discontent couldn’t take it. When she got the invite from Rick, she flipped.

I bet she had to rewrite that response at least 20 times. You can tell she was holding back.

I have always seen that the gap between believers and non-believers will widen. Part of that is when the rubber meets the road, who left among us will adamantly declare that Jesus Christ is Lord.

The time has come to stop asking “Do you go to church?” but rather “Tell me about who Christ is?”.

13. aaron says:

I think what concerns me is when Churches and programs become so commercial/capitalistic/marketed. The idea that we have to package and sell the Gospel really turns me off.

14. Bret says:

Aaron

I concur wholeheartedly…socially acceptable gospel is a turn off.

I also am not in favor of Pastor Warrens past history of turning his pulpit over to politicians who continually vote in favor of partial birth abortion, as he has in the past.

15. BEW says:

What I don’t like is having to explain to non-believers that people like Ingrid don’t speak for me. It’s sad that when most people think of Christianity they automatically think of people like her, John Hagee, Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, Benny Hinn.. anyone but Jesus!

Is this a failure of the church as a whole (can the church be a whole?) to live like Christ, or a failure of those around us to see with blinders on?

Perhaps it is something cultural (though we haven’t helped), because we do the same thing with Islam. There are a zillion peace-loving moderate imams out there, but we apparently only have eyes to see the fundamentalist strand as speaking for the whole faith.

16. jim says:

looks like she only took the plank out of her eye long enough to beat the sh*t out of Rick and his buddies with it. I have not read anything by Rick and think Mark Driscoll is… well… probably has some daddy issues or something, but come on! enough of the b**ch slaps. let’s start loving people!!Didn’t Someone once say… “they will know you by your love for one another.”

with so much division in the american church, it is encouraging to see some unifying voices like Dan Merchant emerging. check out http://lordsaveusthemovie.com/

17. Clint says:

I’m not sure I’m in full favor of her or her site, but she does bring up some good points that I don’t think should be discarded. Sometimes its okay to be divisive over doctrine, especially when doctrine leans more man-centered than Christ-centered.

18. djchuang says:

Having been at the PD Network Summit, my sense of it was that Rick Warren really does want to help pastors and does want to make a difference in the world. His PEACE plan is a way to do that, and now that it’s become a PEACE Coalition, many others can get involved too. For those who want to hear it straight from Rick, his press conference about PEACE is online at http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/432145

Thank you, Brooklyn, for the reminder. Umm, @jlin7 is a Christian but he wasn't very Christlike with me on the basketball court. He muscled me into the paint, dunked on me, mentioned my momma, and then said, "Stick with preaching." Just kidding. Kind of.

If you haven't heard, Jeremy Lin is donating his one games wages (approximately $140,000) and an additional $100 for every 3 pointer made to support Girls' Empowerment and Education through @onedayswages. That game is this Friday vs the Boston Celtics!

Join his campaign as he's inviting his fans to donate just $7. - http://onedayswages.org/jlin

Did you know that 32 million girls of lower secondary school age are not enrolled in school.

Did you know that every year of secondary school increases a girl’s future earning power by 20 percent.

Did you know that if all girls in Sub-Saharan Africa, South and West Asia had a secondary education, child marriage would fall by 64 percent.

We can't change the entire world but we can impact the lives of one, few, and in some cases...many.

#jeremylin #jlin #linsanity #onedayswages Don't be held captive to either praise or criticism.

Know who you are.
Know what you're about.
Know WHO you serve.

The answer to who you serve makes all the difference... It's the day after International Women's Day - and it's still important to celebrate the contribution of women in our lives, society, and world. As we honor women all around the world, I'm also reminded of how women and children are those who are most deeply impacted by injustice - especially poverty.

Sadly, I have witnessed this reality in too many places. ​In 2012, I traveled to a remote area in Eastern Kenya as part of a @onedayswages response to a famine that struck the Horn of Africa region. This famine impacted nearly 13 million people and according to some sources, took the lives of about 250,000 people. During my trip there, I had the chance of meeting many people but the person that still remains in my memory was a Muslim woman named Sahara.

She was so hospitable in inviting us to her small and temporary home. During our conversation, I learned that ​Sahara traveled 300 kilometers (a little under 200 miles) – some by cart and some by foot – as they sought to escape the worst drought that has impacted East Africa (Kenya, Somalia, and Ethiopia) in the past 60 years.

This is not a misprint.
200.

She traveled about 200 miles on cart and foot. ​And all along, she was ill. If you look closely ​at the photo, you might notice the large lump in her throat - likely a large cancerous tumor.​ She did not travel alone. She traveled with her husband who I was not able to meet because he was staying with one of his five other wives in this polygamist community.  She did not travel alone. She also traveled with her six children – the youngest being about 1 and the oldest being around 8. She had just given birth to her sixth child when they began her journey. Her youngest was severely malnourished when they arrived to this new settlement in a town called Benane.
Sahara and her children all survived this journey. They survived because she persisted.
In honor of Sahara...and so many other women who keep...keeping on. I have to remind myself of this every day...because I can forget every day:

Don't be lazy and make assumptions about people. Ask about their story. Then listen. Be humble. Be teachable. Be human. Be a good neighbor. It's a sad reality but our society runs on the currency of fear. Don't feed into this frenzy.

Rather, invest in faith, hope, and love.