greatest music video ever?

Let’s have some fun here.  What’s the greatest [your favorite] music video ever?  MJ?  Duran Duran?  The Police?  or Rick Astley?

Maybe it’s because Quest is so “young” but every time I mention a band that enjoyed from the 80s, people look dazed and confused.  For example, on a car ride back from a conference, I could not believe that Jason The Intern had no idea who these folks were.  I nearly fired his arse right there but I’m a compassion, merciful, and gracious pastor and boss. Here’s my vote for Greatest Music Video – ever:

And here’s a-ha’s Take on Me’s resume [from wikipedia]:

The single reached number-one in 36 countries and is one of the world’s best-selling singles of all time with 8-9 million copies sold, hit number one on the Billboard Hot 100 in the U.S. It also hit number two in the UK and number one in a-ha’s native Norway. At the MTV Video Music Awards on September 5, 1986, the video won six awards.

In 2002, the song was ranked at number 8 on VH1’s 100 Greatest One Hit Wonders, although this status is often used incorrectly in the United States when labeling a-ha. Also, in 2006, the song was ranked at number 24 on VH1’s “Greatest Songs of the 1980s”.[3]

The song was the second best-selling single of 1985, the number one being “We Are the World“.

Filed under: entertainment,

1. queltica says:

Hmm… off the top of my head; Art of Noise, Close (To The Edit)
    (yes, another 80s video)

2. regeneratex says:

Not even close. Thriller. Many have tried to outdo the video but I still get chills watching that thing after 25 years.

3. Shaun King says:

Sorry Eugene. This debate has already been settled man – it’s Thriller.

4. Russ says:

Peter Gabriel’s “Sledgehammer” – “I want to be your… sledgehammer”

5. eugenecho says:

regeneratex & shaun: true true. can’t argue that which is why i would have in [ ] – your favorite great music video.

MJ – and i mean several of his videos are in my top favorites.

6. steve says:

Pastor Eugene,

I’m Kate H.’s dad and one time we were discussing 70’s music (my era) and I mentioned “The Eagles”. Kate’s response was “Who?”. I think the best music video I’ve seen is Robert Palmer’s “Simply Irresistible”.

7. Jason Dye says:

i would have to agree with Thriller and Sledgehammer being my faves.

although White and Nerdy takes on a close second (third?) http://youtube.com/watch?v=-xEzGIuY7kw

8. cool dad says:

i’m not saying it’s the greatest ever, but “Money for Nothing” by Dire Straits was very memorable. computer graphics in that time?? wow!

9. Randall says:

My favorite music videos are this one and this one.

Sorry, shameless plugs for my band.

One of my favorite videos of all time has to be the Virtual Insanity video by Jamiroquai.

10. danielktaylor says:

I am totally with you. I’ve been claiming Take on Me for years

11. jimfox says:

it’s a toss up between “whip it” and “stand & deliver”. these videos today, they don’t even make sense anymore with all their fancy graphics and big budget production, grump, grump. Gimme Mark Mothersbaugh with a power dome and a whip any day of the week!

12. eugenecho says:

@steve: what? i hope you grounded her for life!

anyone that mentions a boy band here gets their IP address blocked for a year.

13. rexhamilton says:

The teenage boy in me wants to say “Cradle of Love” by Billy Idol…the grown up in me says “Sledgehammer” by Gabriel.

14. justin says:

you guys are all so old skool…

here are some of the most creative/innovative/awesome videos from the last year or so (from an animation stand point):

justice: d.a.n.c.e.

gnarls barkley: crazy

kap10kurt by the holograms

15. beattieblog says:

Great question. Seems the universal response to this Q is always “Thriller”, but I’m going with either “Where the Streets Have No Names” when the greatest band in the world gets booted off the building roof for stopping traffic (won best video in ’88) . The other one that came to mind was Beastie Boys’ “Sabotage” – great song, great video.

Honorable mention would be Billy Joel and “we didn’t start the fire” – the song annoyed me but the video was cool.

16. eugenecho says:

did i scare all the women off the blog with my post on “truck nutz?”

i know they’re not permitted to speak but they are allowed to watch videos, right?
    sorry, that was bad but i couldn’t help it.

17. beattieblog says:

justin, think of us as above pop culture and for all time. One day Gnarles Barkley will be selling his “Time Life Greatest Hits” album at 2 am. 🙂

18. ruekwondo says:

you could always do worse than “virtual insantiy” by jamiroquai

but for my money, nothing beats “hooked on a feeling” by the hoff.

19. chad says:

i vote for Michael W. Smith’s “secret ambition.” no. wait. no i don’t.

i actually favor classics such as “smells like teen spirit” by Nirvana and “jeremy” by Pearl Jam…i think P. Diddy had some good ones for awhile there didn’t he?

20. bleek says:

sledgehammer and thriller are sweet. so is The Reflex by Duran Duran. the 80s were great. (well…)

21. Pat says:

“Thriller” was fine, but .. I’ll always have burned into my brain this one – Whitesnake, Here I Go Again (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKTiwCez6Zs). That’s the one where (a then-reasonably-sane Tawny Kitaen dancing on the car.

A video so arresting they made a Wikipedia page for it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here_I_Go_Again

🙂

22. Dire Straits, “Money for Nothing”

23. Deanne says:

sadly – my neices know this song because the Jonas Brothers covered it at their concert. So, you’re at least relevant with 8 and 10 year olds. Lucky you!

24. chenster22 says:

i’m gonna have to go with mr. rick roll himself… “never gonna give you up.”

25. Randall says:

finally…a post that didn’t turn into some kind of major debate in the comments section!

26. metamorphallic says:

Thriller may be the ‘best’. It certainly is epic.
    “Take On Me” is great, but my personal favorites as an 80’s toddler were Genesis’ “Land of Confusion” and Dire Straits’ “Money for Nothing”. Loved the Dead’s “Touch of Grey” for similar reasons.

27. Sarah Hammersborg says:

Eugene, I’m with you and cast my vote for Take on Me. Although I might agree with Chad with Michael W. Smith’s Secret Ambition because of the cool faded jeans, white t-shirt, and the vest. Plus the mullet blowing in the wind might just tip the scale.

28. Diddy was a pretender. That he so shamelessly sampled was not his biggest sin, but the fact that he pretty much did NOTHING different with the samples. Ugh.

my favorite old school video was the Run DMC/Aerosmith team-up: “Walk This Way”

the Thriller video definitely set the bar, but I think my favorite videos by MJ were:

1. Smooth Criminal
    2. Remember the Time
    and of course… the one that started the whole phenomenon…

3. Billie Jean

(remember the sidewalk that lit up where he walked?)

Take On Me was an excellent video, though… right up there with Peter Gabriel’s “Big Time” and Dire Straits “Money For Nothing” (early computer animation… eat your heart out, Pixar)

29. eugenecho says:

@randall – the debates will grow intense next week when we discuss our list for Top 5 emcees of all time.

30. o1hc says:

smashing pumpkins – tonight tonight

such creativity

31. Blake says:

Gotta say, I’m a fan of Smitty… but Weird Al’s “White & Nerdy” takes all! 😀

32. Mandy says:

How about Pat Benetar’s “Love is a Battlefield”..never forget that shimmey she does across the floor!

33. m@ says:

i’m torn, but i think “Sell Out” by Reel Big Fish has to be up there. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=I0e6LUTjzX0)

34. dreamxchaser says:

gotta agree with o1hc, smashing pumpkins for sure.
    “tonight tonight” was an awesome video, good song.

35. Donna says:

You and my nine-year-old daughter…A-Ha’s Take On Me video is her all-time favorite as well. Yes, she’s stuck with a mother who’s stuck on 80’s music & videos.

My choice is Michael Jackson’s “Beat It”. After that, everyone seemed to attempt dancing in their videos, often with quite comic results!

36. rebecca(the great) says:

We’re not gonna take it!

Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. Thanks for your prayers.
I have numerous stories to share but for now, the following came up in every conversation with Iraqi/Syrian refugees:

1 Have tea with us. Or coffee. Or juice. Or something with lots of sugar in it. Or better yet, all of the above.
2 We want peace. We want security.
3 We hate ISIS.
4 We just want to go home.
5 Please don't forget us.

Please don't forget them... Father, please bless and protect these Iraqi and Syrian "refugee" children that have already endured so much. Protect their hearts and mind from unfathomable trauma. Plant seeds of hope and vision in their lives. And as we pray for them, teach us how to advocate for them. Amen. "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." -  local Iraqi priest whose church has welcomed many "relatives" to their church's property

It's always a privilege to be invited into peoples' home for tea - even if it's a temporary tent. This is an extended Yezidi family that fled the Mosul, Iraq area because of ISIS. It's indeed true that Christians were targeted by ISIS and thatbstory muat be shared but other minority groups like the Yezidis were also targeted. Some of their heartbreaking stories included the kidnapping of their sister. They shared that their father passed away shortly of a "broken heart." The conversation was emotional but afterwards, we asked each other for permission to take photos. Once the selfies came out, the real smiles came out.

So friends: Pray for Iraq. Pray for the persecuted Church. Pray for Christians, minority groups like the Yezidis who fear they will e completely wiped out in the Middle East,, and Muslims alike who are all suffering under ISIS. Friends: I'm traveling in the Middle East this week - Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. (Make sure you follow my pics/stories on IG stories). Specifically, I'm here representing @onedayswages to meet, learn, and listen to pastors, local leaders, NGOs, and of course directly from refugees from within these countries - including many from Syria.

For security purposes, I haven't been able to share at all but I'm now able to start sharing some photos and stories. For now, I'll be sharing numerous photos through my IG stories and will be sharing some longer written pieces in couple months when ODW launches another wave of partnerships to come alongside refugees in these areas. Four of us are traveling together also for the purpose of creating a short documentary that we hope to release early next year.

While I'm on my church sabbatical, it's truly a privilege to be able to come to these countries and to meet local pastors and indigenous leaders that tirelessly pursue peace and justice, and to hear directly from refugees. I've read so many various articles and pieces over the years and I thought I was prepared but it has been jarring, heartbreaking,  and gut wrenching. In the midst of such chaos, there's hope but there's also a lot of questions, too.

I hope you follow along as I share photos, stories, and help release this mini-documentary. Please tag friends that might be interested.

Please pray for safety, for empathy, for humility and integrity, for divine meetings. Pray that we listen well; To be present and not just be a consumer of these vulnerable stories. That's my biggest prayer.

Special thanks to @worldvisionusa and @worldrelief for hosting us on this journey. 9/11
Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.

Today, I had some gut wrenching and heart breaking conversations about war, violence, and peacemaking. Mostly, I listened. Never in my wildest imagination did I envision having these conversations on 9/11 of all days. I wish I could share more now but I hope to later after I process them for a few days.

But indeed: Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.
May it be so. Amen. Mount Rainier is simply epic. There's nothing like flying in and out of Seattle.

#mountrainier
#seattle
#northwestisbest

• Every convo with Iraqi/Syrian refugees included: 1 Have tea with us 2 We want peace 3 We hate ISIS 4 We want to go home 5 Don't forget us || 2 days ago
  • Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan to assess @OneDaysWages' partnerships & to film mini-documentary on refugee crisis. So many emotions. || 2 days ago
  • Pray for Mexico. For those mourning loved ones. For those fighting for life - even under rubbles. For rescue workers. Lord, in your mercy. || 2 days ago
  • Don't underestimate what God can do through you. God has a very long history of using foolish and broken people for His purposes and glory. || 4 days ago
  • Father, bless these Iraqi and Syrian refugee children that have already endured so much. As we pray, teach us how t… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 6 days ago
  • Pray for Iraq. Pray for persecuted Church, minority groups (Yezidis) and Muslims alike who are suffering under ISIS: instagram.com/p/BZF2j6Ngrna/ || 6 days ago