“all i need” by radiohead

Check out this music video for “All I Need” by Radiohead.  Haunting and compelling as it highlights exploitation and trafficking.  And before some of you freak out, I am not insituating that the global economy is about slavery.  Of course not.  But, it’s possible to make a case for a level of exploitation.   Exploitation and enablement/empowerment looks different, no?.

“All I Need”, quite possibly the sexiest song Radiohead has ever written, just became a hell of a lot less sexy…and a lot more important. For the video for the In Rainbows standout, Radiohead has partnered with MTV’s EXIT (end exploitation and trafficking) campaign to create a clip that raises awareness of issues of forced labor and abuse around the world. [read article]

And if you think human slavery and trafficking is an afterthought, you’re dead wrong.  This is one of the informative articles about the grave situation of human trafficking and slavery [LA Times].

Many people are surprised to learn that there are still slaves. Many imagined that slavery died along with the 360,000 Union soldiers whose blood fertilized the Emancipation Proclamation and the 13th Amendment. Many thought that slavery was brought to an end around the world when most countries outlawed it in the 19th century.

But, in fact, there are more slaves today than at any point in history. Although a precise census is impossible, as most masters keep their slaves hidden, baseline estimates from United Nations and other international researchers range from 12 million to 27 million slaves worldwide. The U.S. State Department estimates that from 600,000 to 800,000 people — primarily women and children — are trafficked across national borders each year, and that doesn’t count the millions of slaves who are held in bondage within their own countries. [read full article]

And these folks are all doing substantive work in the area [h/t charles lee]:

• Free the Slaves (Free the Slaves liberates slaves around the world, helps them rebuild their lives and researches real world solutions to eradicate slavery forever.)
  • International Justice Mission (Legal Advocates for Justice Around the World)
  • JustOne (Foundation for Relief & Development on Issues of Poverty, Orphans, and Human Trafficking)
  • Stop the Traffik (Abolitionists Coalition of Over 900 Organizations)
  • Not For Sale – Campaign to End Slavery
  • Love 146 – Love146 works toward the abolition of child sex trafficking and exploitation through aftercare, prevention and advocacy.

Filed under: entertainment, , , ,

1. Deborah says:

I love Radiohead! This is an incredible video. Can’t stop watching it actually.

2. dreamxchaser says:

radio head is awesome. but the fact that there is still salves…thats just disturbing.

3. Kim says:

I’m just in tears right now.

4. Eugene,

You’ve been tagged.

Grace and Peace.

5. Kacie says:

I clicked on the link nonchalantly, ready to watch an intentionally heart tugging video. It hit home when the woman was speaking Indo-Malay that I can understand. Just that much closer to home for me.

6. Jeff Lam says:

i’m very conflicted over the issue of sweatshop labor because — let’s face it — the vast majority of everything i own is linked to the exploitation exposed in that video. i can’t get dressed in the morning or but a pair of decent tennis shoes without contributing to the problem.

but then… there’s jeffrey sachs (the end of poverty) and nicholas kristoff (uber liberal at the ny times) telling me that sweatshops are the key to jumpstarting economic growth in poor countries. so does that mean i should, or shouldn’t buy nikes?

7. […] and Human Trafficking 14 05 2008 I just read a great blog entry by Eugene Cho about Radiohead’s new video (”All I Need”), in collaboration with MTV’s […]

8. charlestlee says:

thanks eugene for writing this entry!

orgs like us (www.just4one.org) really appreciate people like you who take time to communicate the reality of such social injustices.

thanks friend.

9. katie says:

i was listening to this cd on the way into work today…
    i’m always happy when folks use their celebrity for good/change…in a strange way, it gives me hope.

slavery is very much still alive in all parts of the world. even the US. 12,000 people a year trafficked into the states. scary. enraging.

i just went to a conference on the global slave trade in April at Multnomah Bible College (through New Wine, New Wineskins), which opened my eyes further to the atrocities going on in the world today and the best ways to help.

Check out:
    Shared Hope International (http://www.sharedhope.org/)
    The Daywalka Foundation (http://www.daywalka.org/)
    Transitions Cambodia, Inc (http://www.transitionscambodia.org/)

10. Melanie says:

Wow.

I think I’ll stick it on my blog. Thanks for sharing.

11. o1hc says:

this is a powerful video. i’ve never been much a radiohead fan, merely because i just never found myself that much interested in their music. this video has definitely made me a fan.

on topic: it’s heartfelt to see those who advocate for social justice, especially those who are in the spotlight like famous celebs or artist, they give many of us a voice in a world that seems like no one is listening.

thanks

12. aaron says:

Thanks for posting this!

This video sure makes me think. It is so hard to know what products to buy… what is good for our brothers and sisters across the globe and what is good for our environment.

Along similar lines I recommend the Flobots… sort of an interesting mix of hip hop/ rock/ violin. Anyways, they have a couple of songs about injustice… “Rise” and “Stand Up” are good songs. The intro to their most recent CD is good too, titled “There’s A War Going On For Your Mind.” I could not find an official music video of either on YouTube.

13. spinachflame says:

You’ve got to love Radiohead. I really like the tracking shot in one of the first sequences where you’ve got the people who awake to a living prison in one shot and there’s a depiction of a cartoon character in a cartoon jail cell in the affluent person’s house. Totally awesome juxtaposition! Says volumes about the level of awareness in the affluent community about those folks who their wealth crushes.

New cartoons here: http://spinachflame.wordpress.com/

14. […] campaign.  The cost of what we consume goes a little deeper than amount of money we pay.  Visit Eugene Cho’s blog for more information and for ways you can […]

15. chad says:

wow, what a strange mix of emotions – from looking at the programming schedule for MTV last night to watching this video backed by a branch of MTV, how confusing. i feel first like just hanging my head in shame (after reading the article article) that we can’t seem to get anything right here in our country and nothing seems to make any coherent sense and yet, in the same breath we have two media powerhouses producing this heart-wrenching window into the brutal truth of our consumer supply-chain. i want to cry, i want to go fix it. and then i realize i have no idea where to even start.

16. david k says:

thanks for posting this – the videos really powerful, but the links to the LA Times article and the various organisations are particularly good.

cheers,
    d

17. […] just read a great blog entry by Eugene Cho about Radiohead’s new video (”All I Need”), in collaboration with MTV’s […]

Made it to 47 years old this psst week. Grateful for God's grace and all those who believed in me, prayed for me, encouraged me, invested in me, forgave me, fed me, loved me, and _____ me.

I've come a long way since my first school picture  at the age of 6 - the age I immigrated to the United States. And long way to go. You can do it, sun. Break through the clouds. I love her. Saturday morning date at Pike Market with @minheejcho. Enjoying the final day of sun before 6 months of rain and gray. Not lol'ing. Some of my moat memorable travels have been to Myanmar (otherwise known as Burma). In fact, the vision of @onedayswages began on my first visit to this country in 2006. On a recent visit, I began learning about the Rohingya people. Sadly, it has escalated to horrendous, genocidal proportions.

Thus far, about 500,000 people have been driven out from Myanmar through violence...with most going to Bangledesh...regulated to a massive refugee camp. Stateless. Undocumented. Minority groups. Dehumanized. Homes and villages destroyed. And so much more unspeakable atrocities.

Yes, it's complex and messy. It always is. But the root of this injustice as the case for so much brokeness in the world is the sin of dehumanizing one anotber as..."the other." May we see each person, including the Rohingya people, as one who is created in the image of God. It's the truth and the remedy to the incessant dehumanization that goes on in our world.

Lord, in your mercy. The obedience of discipleship which includes the work of justice is a marathon. It's long, arduous, and emotional. Be tenacious. But also take care of yourself. Create healthy rhythms. Don't burn out. We need you for the marathon. Friends, don't give up. Press on. In the midst of so much chaos in the world, may we continue to cling to the hope of the whole Gospel. May we cling unto Jesus:

Way maker!
Miracle worker!
Promise keeper!
Light in the darkness!
That is who You are!

What an encounter with the Holy Spirit at @seattlequest today. Grateful for our worship team, the gospel choir, and the Audio/Visual team. Thank you Matt, Teresita, and Chris. Please thank all the volunteers for us.