getting in shape

The hopes I shared several months ago in Health and Weight – to start exercising regularly, stop snacking post 10pm, losing some pounds, and getting back into shape aren’t going too well.  If I had to give myself a grade, it would be a “D+” but it’s only midterms right now. I still have time.

But it doesn’t help that this guy keeps ragging on me and my body.  Yesterday, he called my tummy a kangaroo pouch so I took him to the golf range and spanked him.  I want the whole wide world web to know that crushed him 8-3 on balls closest to the flags.  So, he owes me $5,000 since we were playing $1000/hole.

In all seriousness, I really need and want to start exercising regularly because I know that it is directly related to my holisitic health.  It’s not so much that I need to lose lots of weight but rather, I know that I’m just not where I need to be in general physical health. I want to be a good steward of my body as well.

But to give myself and others inspiration to “get physical” and exercise, here’s a 9 second clip:

Filed under: entertainment, family

1. DK says:

Oh my goodness. That clip is too hilarious. For a second, I thought that was you.

2. Joe says:

that clip has me cracking up! ohh… if you wanna play some b-ball… i try to run at greenalke a couple times a week… so there’s an option…

3. Kacy says:

You did right by spanking him. However it is vital to keep in shape and he may well have had your best interest at heart.

4. riddle says:

one word bro:

crossfit.com

5. brotherterrysimmons says:

I’ve been fighting the “Battle of the Bulge” since late December. I’ve had some success, but every day is pretty tough. My only advice is : Walk, walk walk.

Oh yeah, pray.

6. jason says:

good goals, need to get myself back into playing shape as well…tried to watch video but it said it was no longer available

7. aaron says:

The best way to be a regular at the gym is to get some accountability. Find someone dependable to be a workout partner and set a regular workout schedule…. knowing they will be there waiting for you is great because you do not want to let them down.

Secondly, remember it really does not take a whole lot of time… as far as weight lifting goes a 40-45 minute high intensity workout is best… you really do not need to dedicate two hours a day.

Once it becomes a habit it is enjoyable and rewarding– but it is really tough getting started.

8. warren says:

the video is gone now… what was it?

9. eugenecho says:

hmm. i can see the video. i’ll try to see if i can upload it again.

10. g says:

Don’t ya read the Seattle Times? =)

You QUEST guys should start a running bet.

11. Devin says:

Hey – if you’re giving yourself a D+, then I guess I need some summer school.
    I think (and hope) that I have lost weight since i now walk everywhere. I tracked it one day and measured walking 9 miles. Can you believe that!!! 9 miles just walking doing regular stuff – and Yoon was even with me all day. We weren’t even tired.
    When you come to Korea to visitm, be sure your legs are in shape – those darn subway stairs still get the best of me!
    Good Luck and congrats. You’ll be looking thin soon.

12. minna says:

hiya PE ….
    so i’ve never written a comment on one of these things, but …
    i’m so glad that someone else is on the same page as me when it comes to exercising. that our bodies are temples and that we should be faithful in being good stewards to care for what we are given. not to say it’s not a challenge to get motivated … but it’s a greater motivation to just try to be healthier as well as honour our Creator, than to lose those few final pounds just to fit into that dress … err … or, uh, suit? whatever …
    if you put that clip on repeat, you can also get a decent ab workout from the laughs!
    minna

13. dreamxchaser says:

haha thats right!! glad u owned him at golf. he deserved it. i know how u feel tho. im living in italy now, and i tried excersizing reguarly (hey man all that pasta adds up). never really worked out. and italians like to make jokes about my stomic that i DIDNT have b4 i got here. lol its a pasta baby as far as im concerned.
    nice clip tho. haha. good luck losing some weight.

Window seat. For the win. As leaders, we must not see ministry and family as competing commitments.  We must not sacrifice our marriage and kids for the sake of "ministry." How can we? Loving our families IS ministry & good leadership.

And on a side note, we took this goofy photo for Mother's Day last Sunday at @seattlequest. I was shocked! What in the world happened to our kids? Our 13 year old son blocked four of my shots on the basketball court yesterday. He's since been grounded... I fear that we ask God to move mountains, forgetting that God also wants to move us.

In fact, it's possible that we are that mountain. Time flies. The eldest is wrapping up her 1st year in college and the college tours have begun for the 2nd child. The youngest enters high school in the Fall. Can't say enough about how proud Minhee and I are of the kids - not just of their accomplishments but the people they are and are becoming.

But...man...we can't wait to party it up when we're emptynesters. Party at our house. It's going to be epic. Humbled. Grateful. Mindful of God's grace and faithfulness in my life. It's all grace... It's an unexpected honor to be invited back - even with some mini-drama - to @princetonseminary to receive the 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award - exactly 25 years after starting my journey there as a student in 1992. Wow.

Princeton isn't necessarily for everyone. And to say that I loved everything about my experience would be misleading but it was very formative. Ir challenged me to examine why I believed in what I believed. It reminded me that God could handle my questions. It prepared me for a post-Christian context where I am not entitled to be heard but I had to earn the right to be heard, and of course, it taught me that all is good with a Philly cheese steak at Hoagie Haven.

No one is an island to themselves and I am certainly an example of that. Many people - women and men, young and old, and of many backgrounds - prayed, encouraged, mentored, and loved me along the way. Grateful for my professors at seminary, my many classmates, and the numerous fellow staff and co-laborers I've had the privilege of serving Christ with past and present. And of course, I'm forever inspired by my parents, my children, and my wife, Minhee. Thank you for your faith, hope, and love...and oh, for your patience. Only your family will know and see both the best and worst of you. They've seen my worst...and keep on believing in me.

Thank you again, PTS and President Barnes, for this honor. Then, today, and tomorrow...by God's grace, just striving to be faithful to my Lord and Savior...to preach and live out the convictions of the whole Gospel. Amen. So humbled and grateful to be with @catalystleader in Cincinnati to encourage leaders from all around the country about the invitation to Uncommon Fellowship.

Preached from John 4. We can talk, preach, sing, philsophize, liturgize, and spit rhymes about Samaria...but we still have to talk through Samaria.

• "They got money for wars but can't feed the poor." ~ Tupac #trumpbudget || 18 hours ago
  • Heartbroken. Praying for Manchester & the UK. For those mourning loved ones. For those injured and fighting for life. Lord, in your mercy. || 2 days ago
  • Window seat. For the win. https://t.co/yG66Sm2bvu || 4 days ago
  • As leaders, we must not sacrifice our family for the sake of ministry because loving our family IS good leadership: instagram.com/p/BUVAGVwg-5z/ || 4 days ago
  • We long for a Gospel that comforts but resist the Gospel that disrupts. Having the former without the latter seduces us into complacency. || 4 days ago
  • Love wins in the end but in the meanwhile,it fights for things that matter. Love isn't sentimental. It's both gentle & fierce. Love endures. || 5 days ago