getting in shape

The hopes I shared several months ago in Health and Weight – to start exercising regularly, stop snacking post 10pm, losing some pounds, and getting back into shape aren’t going too well.  If I had to give myself a grade, it would be a “D+” but it’s only midterms right now. I still have time.

But it doesn’t help that this guy keeps ragging on me and my body.  Yesterday, he called my tummy a kangaroo pouch so I took him to the golf range and spanked him.  I want the whole wide world web to know that crushed him 8-3 on balls closest to the flags.  So, he owes me $5,000 since we were playing $1000/hole.

In all seriousness, I really need and want to start exercising regularly because I know that it is directly related to my holisitic health.  It’s not so much that I need to lose lots of weight but rather, I know that I’m just not where I need to be in general physical health. I want to be a good steward of my body as well.

But to give myself and others inspiration to “get physical” and exercise, here’s a 9 second clip:

Filed under: entertainment, family

1. DK says:

Oh my goodness. That clip is too hilarious. For a second, I thought that was you.

2. Joe says:

that clip has me cracking up! ohh… if you wanna play some b-ball… i try to run at greenalke a couple times a week… so there’s an option…

3. Kacy says:

You did right by spanking him. However it is vital to keep in shape and he may well have had your best interest at heart.

4. riddle says:

one word bro:

crossfit.com

5. brotherterrysimmons says:

I’ve been fighting the “Battle of the Bulge” since late December. I’ve had some success, but every day is pretty tough. My only advice is : Walk, walk walk.

Oh yeah, pray.

6. jason says:

good goals, need to get myself back into playing shape as well…tried to watch video but it said it was no longer available

7. aaron says:

The best way to be a regular at the gym is to get some accountability. Find someone dependable to be a workout partner and set a regular workout schedule…. knowing they will be there waiting for you is great because you do not want to let them down.

Secondly, remember it really does not take a whole lot of time… as far as weight lifting goes a 40-45 minute high intensity workout is best… you really do not need to dedicate two hours a day.

Once it becomes a habit it is enjoyable and rewarding– but it is really tough getting started.

8. warren says:

the video is gone now… what was it?

9. eugenecho says:

hmm. i can see the video. i’ll try to see if i can upload it again.

10. g says:

Don’t ya read the Seattle Times? =)

You QUEST guys should start a running bet.

11. Devin says:

Hey – if you’re giving yourself a D+, then I guess I need some summer school.
    I think (and hope) that I have lost weight since i now walk everywhere. I tracked it one day and measured walking 9 miles. Can you believe that!!! 9 miles just walking doing regular stuff – and Yoon was even with me all day. We weren’t even tired.
    When you come to Korea to visitm, be sure your legs are in shape – those darn subway stairs still get the best of me!
    Good Luck and congrats. You’ll be looking thin soon.

12. minna says:

hiya PE ….
    so i’ve never written a comment on one of these things, but …
    i’m so glad that someone else is on the same page as me when it comes to exercising. that our bodies are temples and that we should be faithful in being good stewards to care for what we are given. not to say it’s not a challenge to get motivated … but it’s a greater motivation to just try to be healthier as well as honour our Creator, than to lose those few final pounds just to fit into that dress … err … or, uh, suit? whatever …
    if you put that clip on repeat, you can also get a decent ab workout from the laughs!
    minna

13. dreamxchaser says:

haha thats right!! glad u owned him at golf. he deserved it. i know how u feel tho. im living in italy now, and i tried excersizing reguarly (hey man all that pasta adds up). never really worked out. and italians like to make jokes about my stomic that i DIDNT have b4 i got here. lol its a pasta baby as far as im concerned.
    nice clip tho. haha. good luck losing some weight.

Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. Thanks for your prayers.
I have numerous stories to share but for now, the following came up in every conversation with Iraqi/Syrian refugees:

1 Have tea with us. Or coffee. Or juice. Or something with lots of sugar in it. Or better yet, all of the above.
2 We want peace. We want security.
3 We hate ISIS.
4 We just want to go home.
5 Please don't forget us.

Please don't forget them... Father, please bless and protect these Iraqi and Syrian "refugee" children that have already endured so much. Protect their hearts and mind from unfathomable trauma. Plant seeds of hope and vision in their lives. And as we pray for them, teach us how to advocate for them. Amen. "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." -  local Iraqi priest whose church has welcomed many "relatives" to their church's property

It's always a privilege to be invited into peoples' home for tea - even if it's a temporary tent. This is an extended Yezidi family that fled the Mosul, Iraq area because of ISIS. It's indeed true that Christians were targeted by ISIS and thatbstory muat be shared but other minority groups like the Yezidis were also targeted. Some of their heartbreaking stories included the kidnapping of their sister. They shared that their father passed away shortly of a "broken heart." The conversation was emotional but afterwards, we asked each other for permission to take photos. Once the selfies came out, the real smiles came out.

So friends: Pray for Iraq. Pray for the persecuted Church. Pray for Christians, minority groups like the Yezidis who fear they will e completely wiped out in the Middle East,, and Muslims alike who are all suffering under ISIS. Friends: I'm traveling in the Middle East this week - Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. (Make sure you follow my pics/stories on IG stories). Specifically, I'm here representing @onedayswages to meet, learn, and listen to pastors, local leaders, NGOs, and of course directly from refugees from within these countries - including many from Syria.

For security purposes, I haven't been able to share at all but I'm now able to start sharing some photos and stories. For now, I'll be sharing numerous photos through my IG stories and will be sharing some longer written pieces in couple months when ODW launches another wave of partnerships to come alongside refugees in these areas. Four of us are traveling together also for the purpose of creating a short documentary that we hope to release early next year.

While I'm on my church sabbatical, it's truly a privilege to be able to come to these countries and to meet local pastors and indigenous leaders that tirelessly pursue peace and justice, and to hear directly from refugees. I've read so many various articles and pieces over the years and I thought I was prepared but it has been jarring, heartbreaking,  and gut wrenching. In the midst of such chaos, there's hope but there's also a lot of questions, too.

I hope you follow along as I share photos, stories, and help release this mini-documentary. Please tag friends that might be interested.

Please pray for safety, for empathy, for humility and integrity, for divine meetings. Pray that we listen well; To be present and not just be a consumer of these vulnerable stories. That's my biggest prayer.

Special thanks to @worldvisionusa and @worldrelief for hosting us on this journey. 9/11
Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.

Today, I had some gut wrenching and heart breaking conversations about war, violence, and peacemaking. Mostly, I listened. Never in my wildest imagination did I envision having these conversations on 9/11 of all days. I wish I could share more now but I hope to later after I process them for a few days.

But indeed: Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.
May it be so. Amen. Mount Rainier is simply epic. There's nothing like flying in and out of Seattle.

#mountrainier
#seattle
#northwestisbest

• Boom. Final fishing trip. Grateful. A nice way to end my 3 month sabbatical. #catchandrelease twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 20 hours ago
  • Christians: May we be guided by the Scriptures that remind us, "Seek first the Kingdom of God" and not, "Seek first the kingdom of America." || 21 hours ago
  • Every convo with Iraqi/Syrian refugees included: 1 Have tea with us 2 We want peace 3 We hate ISIS 4 We want to go home 5 Don't forget us || 3 days ago
  • Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan to assess @OneDaysWages' partnerships & to film mini-documentary on refugee crisis. So many emotions. || 3 days ago
  • Pray for Mexico. For those mourning loved ones. For those fighting for life - even under rubbles. For rescue workers. Lord, in your mercy. || 3 days ago
  • Don't underestimate what God can do through you. God has a very long history of using foolish and broken people for His purposes and glory. || 6 days ago