getting in shape

The hopes I shared several months ago in Health and Weight – to start exercising regularly, stop snacking post 10pm, losing some pounds, and getting back into shape aren’t going too well.  If I had to give myself a grade, it would be a “D+” but it’s only midterms right now. I still have time.

But it doesn’t help that this guy keeps ragging on me and my body.  Yesterday, he called my tummy a kangaroo pouch so I took him to the golf range and spanked him.  I want the whole wide world web to know that crushed him 8-3 on balls closest to the flags.  So, he owes me $5,000 since we were playing $1000/hole.

In all seriousness, I really need and want to start exercising regularly because I know that it is directly related to my holisitic health.  It’s not so much that I need to lose lots of weight but rather, I know that I’m just not where I need to be in general physical health. I want to be a good steward of my body as well.

But to give myself and others inspiration to “get physical” and exercise, here’s a 9 second clip:

Filed under: entertainment, family

1. DK says:

Oh my goodness. That clip is too hilarious. For a second, I thought that was you.

2. Joe says:

that clip has me cracking up! ohh… if you wanna play some b-ball… i try to run at greenalke a couple times a week… so there’s an option…

3. Kacy says:

You did right by spanking him. However it is vital to keep in shape and he may well have had your best interest at heart.

4. riddle says:

one word bro:

crossfit.com

5. brotherterrysimmons says:

I’ve been fighting the “Battle of the Bulge” since late December. I’ve had some success, but every day is pretty tough. My only advice is : Walk, walk walk.

Oh yeah, pray.

6. jason says:

good goals, need to get myself back into playing shape as well…tried to watch video but it said it was no longer available

7. aaron says:

The best way to be a regular at the gym is to get some accountability. Find someone dependable to be a workout partner and set a regular workout schedule…. knowing they will be there waiting for you is great because you do not want to let them down.

Secondly, remember it really does not take a whole lot of time… as far as weight lifting goes a 40-45 minute high intensity workout is best… you really do not need to dedicate two hours a day.

Once it becomes a habit it is enjoyable and rewarding– but it is really tough getting started.

8. warren says:

the video is gone now… what was it?

9. eugenecho says:

hmm. i can see the video. i’ll try to see if i can upload it again.

10. g says:

Don’t ya read the Seattle Times? =)

You QUEST guys should start a running bet.

11. Devin says:

Hey – if you’re giving yourself a D+, then I guess I need some summer school.
    I think (and hope) that I have lost weight since i now walk everywhere. I tracked it one day and measured walking 9 miles. Can you believe that!!! 9 miles just walking doing regular stuff – and Yoon was even with me all day. We weren’t even tired.
    When you come to Korea to visitm, be sure your legs are in shape – those darn subway stairs still get the best of me!
    Good Luck and congrats. You’ll be looking thin soon.

12. minna says:

hiya PE ….
    so i’ve never written a comment on one of these things, but …
    i’m so glad that someone else is on the same page as me when it comes to exercising. that our bodies are temples and that we should be faithful in being good stewards to care for what we are given. not to say it’s not a challenge to get motivated … but it’s a greater motivation to just try to be healthier as well as honour our Creator, than to lose those few final pounds just to fit into that dress … err … or, uh, suit? whatever …
    if you put that clip on repeat, you can also get a decent ab workout from the laughs!
    minna

13. dreamxchaser says:

haha thats right!! glad u owned him at golf. he deserved it. i know how u feel tho. im living in italy now, and i tried excersizing reguarly (hey man all that pasta adds up). never really worked out. and italians like to make jokes about my stomic that i DIDNT have b4 i got here. lol its a pasta baby as far as im concerned.
    nice clip tho. haha. good luck losing some weight.

"He must become greater; I must become less." - John 3:30 We have to remind ourselves of this truth every day lest we forget:

Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant.

Be faithful.

PS: Also, it helps to get some Vitamin D especially if you live in the rainy Northwest Thank you, Brooklyn, for the reminder. Umm, @jlin7 is a Christian but he wasn't very Christlike with me on the basketball court. He muscled me into the paint, dunked on me, mentioned my momma, and then said, "Stick with preaching." Just kidding. Kind of.

If you haven't heard, Jeremy Lin is donating his one games wages (approximately $140,000) and an additional $100 for every 3 pointer made to support Girls' Empowerment and Education through @onedayswages. That game is this Friday vs the Boston Celtics!

Join his campaign as he's inviting his fans to donate just $7. - http://onedayswages.org/jlin

Did you know that 32 million girls of lower secondary school age are not enrolled in school.

Did you know that every year of secondary school increases a girl’s future earning power by 20 percent.

Did you know that if all girls in Sub-Saharan Africa, South and West Asia had a secondary education, child marriage would fall by 64 percent.

We can't change the entire world but we can impact the lives of one, few, and in some cases...many.

#jeremylin #jlin #linsanity #onedayswages Don't be held captive to either praise or criticism.

Know who you are.
Know what you're about.
Know WHO you serve.

The answer to who you serve makes all the difference... It's the day after International Women's Day - and it's still important to celebrate the contribution of women in our lives, society, and world. As we honor women all around the world, I'm also reminded of how women and children are those who are most deeply impacted by injustice - especially poverty.

Sadly, I have witnessed this reality in too many places. ​In 2012, I traveled to a remote area in Eastern Kenya as part of a @onedayswages response to a famine that struck the Horn of Africa region. This famine impacted nearly 13 million people and according to some sources, took the lives of about 250,000 people. During my trip there, I had the chance of meeting many people but the person that still remains in my memory was a Muslim woman named Sahara.

She was so hospitable in inviting us to her small and temporary home. During our conversation, I learned that ​Sahara traveled 300 kilometers (a little under 200 miles) – some by cart and some by foot – as they sought to escape the worst drought that has impacted East Africa (Kenya, Somalia, and Ethiopia) in the past 60 years.

This is not a misprint.
200.

She traveled about 200 miles on cart and foot. ​And all along, she was ill. If you look closely ​at the photo, you might notice the large lump in her throat - likely a large cancerous tumor.​ She did not travel alone. She traveled with her husband who I was not able to meet because he was staying with one of his five other wives in this polygamist community.  She did not travel alone. She also traveled with her six children – the youngest being about 1 and the oldest being around 8. She had just given birth to her sixth child when they began her journey. Her youngest was severely malnourished when they arrived to this new settlement in a town called Benane.
Sahara and her children all survived this journey. They survived because she persisted.
In honor of Sahara...and so many other women who keep...keeping on.