holy godtube raises 30 million

Show me the money.

I was a little stunned yesterday when I received word via my news feeds that GodTube – the Christian version of YouTube raised 30 million dollars in funding.

Here’s a story that is either the sign of an enormous bubble or an indication that perhaps entrepreneurs need to have a bit more faith (literally and figuratively). GodTube, the YouTube for the religious, has raised $30 million at a $150 million valuation, according to Rafat Ali. The funding comes from GLG Partners, a hedge fund. [via Mashable]

GodTube was only launched last summer by Chris Wyatt, a seminarian from Dallas Theological Seminary and now reportedly has about 2 million users.

I don’t want to sound like a hater or Doubting Thomas here.  I’m happy for the GodTube folks since they must have worked really hard.  But I have to admit that when it came out last year, I rolled by eyes and dry heaved.  To be honest, I still don’t get it but hey, more power to them!  Take over the world. In all seriousness, congratulations to them and I hope they’ll use their company to not only edify the body of Christ but be missional.  There I said it.

But heck. Now, I’m thinking what ideas can we come with that can be knockoffs of the larger pop culture.  Or if you want to be nice, you can say “inspired.”

• How about Faithbook?
  • How about HISSpace [get it?]  or GodSpace?
  • XFriendster?

Am I good or what?  Who wants to give me 30 million dollars?

What are your brilliant ideas?

Filed under: religion, technology

1. David says:

How about Gwitter. God + Twitter

As a side note 30 million would fully fund our current church budget (120,000) for the next 250 years.

2. jason says:

ChristPress: the holier version of wordpress

Godlines: god+bloglines

HolyHoo: for all your email needs….okay that one is lame

fun little game…yet very important point….BE ORIGINAL

3. cool dad says:

i think there’s already a Faithbook. just depends on whether you have a lisp or not (rimshot)

4. Randall says:

I’m all about Jason’s last point.

I know you mean this as a light-hearted post and I’m all for jokes (and Lord knows we’re ripe for it… http://www.larknews.com) but seriously, here’s an idea: How about we stop copying what the world makes and start reclaiming our place as partners with God in ushering in NEW creation?

Large parts of the Body of Christ have neglected (even fought against) the arts for far too long and it shows, embarrassingly so. Walk into any Christian bookstore (as if there is such a thing) and you’ll see row after row, aisle after aisle of derivative, reactionary fluff.

Thankfully, there are growing movements out there trying to mentor and support Christian artists – preparing them and launching them into the world at large.

So while I don’t want to be a party-pooper (keep the jokes coming), how about we also highlight Christian artists/organizations that are truly pushing the boundaries and encouraging leadership, originality, and excellence in the world? (Sorry, PE, don’t mean to hijack your post)

oh, and how about

5. sholander says:

How about

par.us.ia

To document signs of the last days….

click here to “rapture” this article

6. Randall says:

What’s with all the quilt pattern avatars? Did I miss a memo or something?

7. Liz says:

GODCast.

That would trump GodTube.

8. aaron says:

I want to barf every time I get a call from “America’s Christian Credit Union”?

9. aaron says:

Would a GODCast play on IGod – because that seems sac-religious.

@Randall: You missed the memo. He asked us all to choose a piece of our favorite quilt.

10. guest says:

Why don’t you people seriously take a chill pill? The cynicism-meter on this post is off the charts.

11. Janet says:

@quest: it’s called a sense of humor.

12. @ cooldad- that was amazingly funny 🙂

I’ve already launched a donut shop here in Seattle- Christ-y Kremes.

Tagline: Jelly is of the world. Our donuts are filled with the Holy Spirit.

13. A christian friend of mine once saw “Fear Not” on someone’s T-shirt, a Biblical twist on the popular “No Fear” brand T-shirt at the time.

He said he wanted to have nothing to do with Christianity if it was behind that! He was 12 years old at the time.

He turned out to be an artist.

14. Eugene,
    I must confess I had the same reaction when I first came across Godtube but then of course I have a blog GodSpace.wordpress.com so I am not sure if that makes me part of the problem or part of the solution.
    If you really want to see the worst of Christian take offs I suggest you visit shipoffools.com Their gadgets for God have to be seen to be beleived.

15. […] Can you believe it GodTube has just raised $30 million for its site.  Read the story here […]

16. Neal Taylor says:

Sad my comment didn’t appear – was it too cynical?

17. dreamxchaser says:

haha. godspace..i have to admit i laguhed pretty hard at that one. i dont have any ideas, but i do remeber the god tube. i went to it once, and got pretty angry. Havnt gone back since. how it got 30 million dollars i beyond me truly.
    i hope they use that money to make a difference..not more videos.

Window seat. For the win. As leaders, we must not see ministry and family as competing commitments.  We must not sacrifice our marriage and kids for the sake of "ministry." How can we? Loving our families IS ministry & good leadership.

And on a side note, we took this goofy photo for Mother's Day last Sunday at @seattlequest. I was shocked! What in the world happened to our kids? Our 13 year old son blocked four of my shots on the basketball court yesterday. He's since been grounded... I fear that we ask God to move mountains, forgetting that God also wants to move us.

In fact, it's possible that we are that mountain. Time flies. The eldest is wrapping up her 1st year in college and the college tours have begun for the 2nd child. The youngest enters high school in the Fall. Can't say enough about how proud Minhee and I are of the kids - not just of their accomplishments but the people they are and are becoming.

But...man...we can't wait to party it up when we're emptynesters. Party at our house. It's going to be epic. Humbled. Grateful. Mindful of God's grace and faithfulness in my life. It's all grace... It's an unexpected honor to be invited back - even with some mini-drama - to @princetonseminary to receive the 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award - exactly 25 years after starting my journey there as a student in 1992. Wow.

Princeton isn't necessarily for everyone. And to say that I loved everything about my experience would be misleading but it was very formative. Ir challenged me to examine why I believed in what I believed. It reminded me that God could handle my questions. It prepared me for a post-Christian context where I am not entitled to be heard but I had to earn the right to be heard, and of course, it taught me that all is good with a Philly cheese steak at Hoagie Haven.

No one is an island to themselves and I am certainly an example of that. Many people - women and men, young and old, and of many backgrounds - prayed, encouraged, mentored, and loved me along the way. Grateful for my professors at seminary, my many classmates, and the numerous fellow staff and co-laborers I've had the privilege of serving Christ with past and present. And of course, I'm forever inspired by my parents, my children, and my wife, Minhee. Thank you for your faith, hope, and love...and oh, for your patience. Only your family will know and see both the best and worst of you. They've seen my worst...and keep on believing in me.

Thank you again, PTS and President Barnes, for this honor. Then, today, and tomorrow...by God's grace, just striving to be faithful to my Lord and Savior...to preach and live out the convictions of the whole Gospel. Amen. So humbled and grateful to be with @catalystleader in Cincinnati to encourage leaders from all around the country about the invitation to Uncommon Fellowship.

Preached from John 4. We can talk, preach, sing, philsophize, liturgize, and spit rhymes about Samaria...but we still have to talk through Samaria.

• "They got money for wars but can't feed the poor." ~ Tupac #trumpbudget || 18 hours ago
  • Heartbroken. Praying for Manchester & the UK. For those mourning loved ones. For those injured and fighting for life. Lord, in your mercy. || 2 days ago
  • Window seat. For the win. https://t.co/yG66Sm2bvu || 4 days ago
  • As leaders, we must not sacrifice our family for the sake of ministry because loving our family IS good leadership: instagram.com/p/BUVAGVwg-5z/ || 4 days ago
  • We long for a Gospel that comforts but resist the Gospel that disrupts. Having the former without the latter seduces us into complacency. || 4 days ago
  • Love wins in the end but in the meanwhile,it fights for things that matter. Love isn't sentimental. It's both gentle & fierce. Love endures. || 5 days ago