holy godtube raises 30 million

Show me the money.

I was a little stunned yesterday when I received word via my news feeds that GodTube – the Christian version of YouTube raised 30 million dollars in funding.

Here’s a story that is either the sign of an enormous bubble or an indication that perhaps entrepreneurs need to have a bit more faith (literally and figuratively). GodTube, the YouTube for the religious, has raised $30 million at a $150 million valuation, according to Rafat Ali. The funding comes from GLG Partners, a hedge fund. [via Mashable]

GodTube was only launched last summer by Chris Wyatt, a seminarian from Dallas Theological Seminary and now reportedly has about 2 million users.

I don’t want to sound like a hater or Doubting Thomas here.  I’m happy for the GodTube folks since they must have worked really hard.  But I have to admit that when it came out last year, I rolled by eyes and dry heaved.  To be honest, I still don’t get it but hey, more power to them!  Take over the world. In all seriousness, congratulations to them and I hope they’ll use their company to not only edify the body of Christ but be missional.  There I said it.

But heck. Now, I’m thinking what ideas can we come with that can be knockoffs of the larger pop culture.  Or if you want to be nice, you can say “inspired.”

• How about Faithbook?
  • How about HISSpace [get it?]  or GodSpace?
  • XFriendster?

Am I good or what?  Who wants to give me 30 million dollars?

What are your brilliant ideas?

Filed under: religion, technology

1. David says:

How about Gwitter. God + Twitter

As a side note 30 million would fully fund our current church budget (120,000) for the next 250 years.

2. jason says:

ChristPress: the holier version of wordpress

Godlines: god+bloglines

HolyHoo: for all your email needs….okay that one is lame

fun little game…yet very important point….BE ORIGINAL

3. cool dad says:

i think there’s already a Faithbook. just depends on whether you have a lisp or not (rimshot)

4. Randall says:

I’m all about Jason’s last point.

I know you mean this as a light-hearted post and I’m all for jokes (and Lord knows we’re ripe for it… http://www.larknews.com) but seriously, here’s an idea: How about we stop copying what the world makes and start reclaiming our place as partners with God in ushering in NEW creation?

Large parts of the Body of Christ have neglected (even fought against) the arts for far too long and it shows, embarrassingly so. Walk into any Christian bookstore (as if there is such a thing) and you’ll see row after row, aisle after aisle of derivative, reactionary fluff.

Thankfully, there are growing movements out there trying to mentor and support Christian artists – preparing them and launching them into the world at large.

So while I don’t want to be a party-pooper (keep the jokes coming), how about we also highlight Christian artists/organizations that are truly pushing the boundaries and encouraging leadership, originality, and excellence in the world? (Sorry, PE, don’t mean to hijack your post)

oh, and how about

5. sholander says:

How about

par.us.ia

To document signs of the last days….

click here to “rapture” this article

6. Randall says:

What’s with all the quilt pattern avatars? Did I miss a memo or something?

7. Liz says:

GODCast.

That would trump GodTube.

8. aaron says:

I want to barf every time I get a call from “America’s Christian Credit Union”?

9. aaron says:

Would a GODCast play on IGod – because that seems sac-religious.

@Randall: You missed the memo. He asked us all to choose a piece of our favorite quilt.

10. guest says:

Why don’t you people seriously take a chill pill? The cynicism-meter on this post is off the charts.

11. Janet says:

@quest: it’s called a sense of humor.

12. @ cooldad- that was amazingly funny 🙂

I’ve already launched a donut shop here in Seattle- Christ-y Kremes.

Tagline: Jelly is of the world. Our donuts are filled with the Holy Spirit.

13. A christian friend of mine once saw “Fear Not” on someone’s T-shirt, a Biblical twist on the popular “No Fear” brand T-shirt at the time.

He said he wanted to have nothing to do with Christianity if it was behind that! He was 12 years old at the time.

He turned out to be an artist.

14. Eugene,
    I must confess I had the same reaction when I first came across Godtube but then of course I have a blog GodSpace.wordpress.com so I am not sure if that makes me part of the problem or part of the solution.
    If you really want to see the worst of Christian take offs I suggest you visit shipoffools.com Their gadgets for God have to be seen to be beleived.

15. […] Can you believe it GodTube has just raised $30 million for its site.  Read the story here […]

16. Neal Taylor says:

Sad my comment didn’t appear – was it too cynical?

17. dreamxchaser says:

haha. godspace..i have to admit i laguhed pretty hard at that one. i dont have any ideas, but i do remeber the god tube. i went to it once, and got pretty angry. Havnt gone back since. how it got 30 million dollars i beyond me truly.
    i hope they use that money to make a difference..not more videos.

"He must become greater; I must become less." - John 3:30 We have to remind ourselves of this truth every day lest we forget:

Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant.

Be faithful.

PS: Also, it helps to get some Vitamin D especially if you live in the rainy Northwest Thank you, Brooklyn, for the reminder. Umm, @jlin7 is a Christian but he wasn't very Christlike with me on the basketball court. He muscled me into the paint, dunked on me, mentioned my momma, and then said, "Stick with preaching." Just kidding. Kind of.

If you haven't heard, Jeremy Lin is donating his one games wages (approximately $140,000) and an additional $100 for every 3 pointer made to support Girls' Empowerment and Education through @onedayswages. That game is this Friday vs the Boston Celtics!

Join his campaign as he's inviting his fans to donate just $7. - http://onedayswages.org/jlin

Did you know that 32 million girls of lower secondary school age are not enrolled in school.

Did you know that every year of secondary school increases a girl’s future earning power by 20 percent.

Did you know that if all girls in Sub-Saharan Africa, South and West Asia had a secondary education, child marriage would fall by 64 percent.

We can't change the entire world but we can impact the lives of one, few, and in some cases...many.

#jeremylin #jlin #linsanity #onedayswages Don't be held captive to either praise or criticism.

Know who you are.
Know what you're about.
Know WHO you serve.

The answer to who you serve makes all the difference... It's the day after International Women's Day - and it's still important to celebrate the contribution of women in our lives, society, and world. As we honor women all around the world, I'm also reminded of how women and children are those who are most deeply impacted by injustice - especially poverty.

Sadly, I have witnessed this reality in too many places. ​In 2012, I traveled to a remote area in Eastern Kenya as part of a @onedayswages response to a famine that struck the Horn of Africa region. This famine impacted nearly 13 million people and according to some sources, took the lives of about 250,000 people. During my trip there, I had the chance of meeting many people but the person that still remains in my memory was a Muslim woman named Sahara.

She was so hospitable in inviting us to her small and temporary home. During our conversation, I learned that ​Sahara traveled 300 kilometers (a little under 200 miles) – some by cart and some by foot – as they sought to escape the worst drought that has impacted East Africa (Kenya, Somalia, and Ethiopia) in the past 60 years.

This is not a misprint.
200.

She traveled about 200 miles on cart and foot. ​And all along, she was ill. If you look closely ​at the photo, you might notice the large lump in her throat - likely a large cancerous tumor.​ She did not travel alone. She traveled with her husband who I was not able to meet because he was staying with one of his five other wives in this polygamist community.  She did not travel alone. She also traveled with her six children – the youngest being about 1 and the oldest being around 8. She had just given birth to her sixth child when they began her journey. Her youngest was severely malnourished when they arrived to this new settlement in a town called Benane.
Sahara and her children all survived this journey. They survived because she persisted.
In honor of Sahara...and so many other women who keep...keeping on.