holy godtube raises 30 million

Show me the money.

I was a little stunned yesterday when I received word via my news feeds that GodTube – the Christian version of YouTube raised 30 million dollars in funding.

Here’s a story that is either the sign of an enormous bubble or an indication that perhaps entrepreneurs need to have a bit more faith (literally and figuratively). GodTube, the YouTube for the religious, has raised $30 million at a $150 million valuation, according to Rafat Ali. The funding comes from GLG Partners, a hedge fund. [via Mashable]

GodTube was only launched last summer by Chris Wyatt, a seminarian from Dallas Theological Seminary and now reportedly has about 2 million users.

I don’t want to sound like a hater or Doubting Thomas here.  I’m happy for the GodTube folks since they must have worked really hard.  But I have to admit that when it came out last year, I rolled by eyes and dry heaved.  To be honest, I still don’t get it but hey, more power to them!  Take over the world. In all seriousness, congratulations to them and I hope they’ll use their company to not only edify the body of Christ but be missional.  There I said it.

But heck. Now, I’m thinking what ideas can we come with that can be knockoffs of the larger pop culture.  Or if you want to be nice, you can say “inspired.”

• How about Faithbook?
  • How about HISSpace [get it?]  or GodSpace?
  • XFriendster?

Am I good or what?  Who wants to give me 30 million dollars?

What are your brilliant ideas?

Filed under: religion, technology

1. David says:

How about Gwitter. God + Twitter

As a side note 30 million would fully fund our current church budget (120,000) for the next 250 years.

2. jason says:

ChristPress: the holier version of wordpress

Godlines: god+bloglines

HolyHoo: for all your email needs….okay that one is lame

fun little game…yet very important point….BE ORIGINAL

3. cool dad says:

i think there’s already a Faithbook. just depends on whether you have a lisp or not (rimshot)

4. Randall says:

I’m all about Jason’s last point.

I know you mean this as a light-hearted post and I’m all for jokes (and Lord knows we’re ripe for it… http://www.larknews.com) but seriously, here’s an idea: How about we stop copying what the world makes and start reclaiming our place as partners with God in ushering in NEW creation?

Large parts of the Body of Christ have neglected (even fought against) the arts for far too long and it shows, embarrassingly so. Walk into any Christian bookstore (as if there is such a thing) and you’ll see row after row, aisle after aisle of derivative, reactionary fluff.

Thankfully, there are growing movements out there trying to mentor and support Christian artists – preparing them and launching them into the world at large.

So while I don’t want to be a party-pooper (keep the jokes coming), how about we also highlight Christian artists/organizations that are truly pushing the boundaries and encouraging leadership, originality, and excellence in the world? (Sorry, PE, don’t mean to hijack your post)

oh, and how about

5. sholander says:

How about

par.us.ia

To document signs of the last days….

click here to “rapture” this article

6. Randall says:

What’s with all the quilt pattern avatars? Did I miss a memo or something?

7. Liz says:

GODCast.

That would trump GodTube.

8. aaron says:

I want to barf every time I get a call from “America’s Christian Credit Union”?

9. aaron says:

Would a GODCast play on IGod – because that seems sac-religious.

@Randall: You missed the memo. He asked us all to choose a piece of our favorite quilt.

10. guest says:

Why don’t you people seriously take a chill pill? The cynicism-meter on this post is off the charts.

11. Janet says:

@quest: it’s called a sense of humor.

12. @ cooldad- that was amazingly funny 🙂

I’ve already launched a donut shop here in Seattle- Christ-y Kremes.

Tagline: Jelly is of the world. Our donuts are filled with the Holy Spirit.

13. A christian friend of mine once saw “Fear Not” on someone’s T-shirt, a Biblical twist on the popular “No Fear” brand T-shirt at the time.

He said he wanted to have nothing to do with Christianity if it was behind that! He was 12 years old at the time.

He turned out to be an artist.

14. Eugene,
    I must confess I had the same reaction when I first came across Godtube but then of course I have a blog GodSpace.wordpress.com so I am not sure if that makes me part of the problem or part of the solution.
    If you really want to see the worst of Christian take offs I suggest you visit shipoffools.com Their gadgets for God have to be seen to be beleived.

15. […] Can you believe it GodTube has just raised $30 million for its site.  Read the story here […]

16. Neal Taylor says:

Sad my comment didn’t appear – was it too cynical?

17. dreamxchaser says:

haha. godspace..i have to admit i laguhed pretty hard at that one. i dont have any ideas, but i do remeber the god tube. i went to it once, and got pretty angry. Havnt gone back since. how it got 30 million dollars i beyond me truly.
    i hope they use that money to make a difference..not more videos.

Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. Thanks for your prayers.
I have numerous stories to share but for now, the following came up in every conversation with Iraqi/Syrian refugees:

1 Have tea with us. Or coffee. Or juice. Or something with lots of sugar in it. Or better yet, all of the above.
2 We want peace. We want security.
3 We hate ISIS.
4 We just want to go home.
5 Please don't forget us.

Please don't forget them... Father, please bless and protect these Iraqi and Syrian "refugee" children that have already endured so much. Protect their hearts and mind from unfathomable trauma. Plant seeds of hope and vision in their lives. And as we pray for them, teach us how to advocate for them. Amen. "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." -  local Iraqi priest whose church has welcomed many "relatives" to their church's property

It's always a privilege to be invited into peoples' home for tea - even if it's a temporary tent. This is an extended Yezidi family that fled the Mosul, Iraq area because of ISIS. It's indeed true that Christians were targeted by ISIS and thatbstory muat be shared but other minority groups like the Yezidis were also targeted. Some of their heartbreaking stories included the kidnapping of their sister. They shared that their father passed away shortly of a "broken heart." The conversation was emotional but afterwards, we asked each other for permission to take photos. Once the selfies came out, the real smiles came out.

So friends: Pray for Iraq. Pray for the persecuted Church. Pray for Christians, minority groups like the Yezidis who fear they will e completely wiped out in the Middle East,, and Muslims alike who are all suffering under ISIS. Friends: I'm traveling in the Middle East this week - Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. (Make sure you follow my pics/stories on IG stories). Specifically, I'm here representing @onedayswages to meet, learn, and listen to pastors, local leaders, NGOs, and of course directly from refugees from within these countries - including many from Syria.

For security purposes, I haven't been able to share at all but I'm now able to start sharing some photos and stories. For now, I'll be sharing numerous photos through my IG stories and will be sharing some longer written pieces in couple months when ODW launches another wave of partnerships to come alongside refugees in these areas. Four of us are traveling together also for the purpose of creating a short documentary that we hope to release early next year.

While I'm on my church sabbatical, it's truly a privilege to be able to come to these countries and to meet local pastors and indigenous leaders that tirelessly pursue peace and justice, and to hear directly from refugees. I've read so many various articles and pieces over the years and I thought I was prepared but it has been jarring, heartbreaking,  and gut wrenching. In the midst of such chaos, there's hope but there's also a lot of questions, too.

I hope you follow along as I share photos, stories, and help release this mini-documentary. Please tag friends that might be interested.

Please pray for safety, for empathy, for humility and integrity, for divine meetings. Pray that we listen well; To be present and not just be a consumer of these vulnerable stories. That's my biggest prayer.

Special thanks to @worldvisionusa and @worldrelief for hosting us on this journey. 9/11
Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.

Today, I had some gut wrenching and heart breaking conversations about war, violence, and peacemaking. Mostly, I listened. Never in my wildest imagination did I envision having these conversations on 9/11 of all days. I wish I could share more now but I hope to later after I process them for a few days.

But indeed: Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.
May it be so. Amen. Mount Rainier is simply epic. There's nothing like flying in and out of Seattle.

#mountrainier
#seattle
#northwestisbest

• Boom. Final fishing trip. Grateful. A nice way to end my 3 month sabbatical. #catchandrelease twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 20 hours ago
  • Christians: May we be guided by the Scriptures that remind us, "Seek first the Kingdom of God" and not, "Seek first the kingdom of America." || 21 hours ago
  • Every convo with Iraqi/Syrian refugees included: 1 Have tea with us 2 We want peace 3 We hate ISIS 4 We want to go home 5 Don't forget us || 3 days ago
  • Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan to assess @OneDaysWages' partnerships & to film mini-documentary on refugee crisis. So many emotions. || 3 days ago
  • Pray for Mexico. For those mourning loved ones. For those fighting for life - even under rubbles. For rescue workers. Lord, in your mercy. || 3 days ago
  • Don't underestimate what God can do through you. God has a very long history of using foolish and broken people for His purposes and glory. || 6 days ago