holy godtube raises 30 million

Show me the money.

I was a little stunned yesterday when I received word via my news feeds that GodTube – the Christian version of YouTube raised 30 million dollars in funding.

Here’s a story that is either the sign of an enormous bubble or an indication that perhaps entrepreneurs need to have a bit more faith (literally and figuratively). GodTube, the YouTube for the religious, has raised $30 million at a $150 million valuation, according to Rafat Ali. The funding comes from GLG Partners, a hedge fund. [via Mashable]

GodTube was only launched last summer by Chris Wyatt, a seminarian from Dallas Theological Seminary and now reportedly has about 2 million users.

I don’t want to sound like a hater or Doubting Thomas here.  I’m happy for the GodTube folks since they must have worked really hard.  But I have to admit that when it came out last year, I rolled by eyes and dry heaved.  To be honest, I still don’t get it but hey, more power to them!  Take over the world. In all seriousness, congratulations to them and I hope they’ll use their company to not only edify the body of Christ but be missional.  There I said it.

But heck. Now, I’m thinking what ideas can we come with that can be knockoffs of the larger pop culture.  Or if you want to be nice, you can say “inspired.”

• How about Faithbook?
  • How about HISSpace [get it?]  or GodSpace?
  • XFriendster?

Am I good or what?  Who wants to give me 30 million dollars?

What are your brilliant ideas?

Filed under: religion, technology

1. David says:

How about Gwitter. God + Twitter

As a side note 30 million would fully fund our current church budget (120,000) for the next 250 years.

2. jason says:

ChristPress: the holier version of wordpress

Godlines: god+bloglines

HolyHoo: for all your email needs….okay that one is lame

fun little game…yet very important point….BE ORIGINAL

3. cool dad says:

i think there’s already a Faithbook. just depends on whether you have a lisp or not (rimshot)

4. Randall says:

I’m all about Jason’s last point.

I know you mean this as a light-hearted post and I’m all for jokes (and Lord knows we’re ripe for it… http://www.larknews.com) but seriously, here’s an idea: How about we stop copying what the world makes and start reclaiming our place as partners with God in ushering in NEW creation?

Large parts of the Body of Christ have neglected (even fought against) the arts for far too long and it shows, embarrassingly so. Walk into any Christian bookstore (as if there is such a thing) and you’ll see row after row, aisle after aisle of derivative, reactionary fluff.

Thankfully, there are growing movements out there trying to mentor and support Christian artists – preparing them and launching them into the world at large.

So while I don’t want to be a party-pooper (keep the jokes coming), how about we also highlight Christian artists/organizations that are truly pushing the boundaries and encouraging leadership, originality, and excellence in the world? (Sorry, PE, don’t mean to hijack your post)

oh, and how about

5. sholander says:

How about

par.us.ia

To document signs of the last days….

click here to “rapture” this article

6. Randall says:

What’s with all the quilt pattern avatars? Did I miss a memo or something?

7. Liz says:

GODCast.

That would trump GodTube.

8. aaron says:

I want to barf every time I get a call from “America’s Christian Credit Union”?

9. aaron says:

Would a GODCast play on IGod – because that seems sac-religious.

@Randall: You missed the memo. He asked us all to choose a piece of our favorite quilt.

10. guest says:

Why don’t you people seriously take a chill pill? The cynicism-meter on this post is off the charts.

11. Janet says:

@quest: it’s called a sense of humor.

12. @ cooldad- that was amazingly funny 🙂

I’ve already launched a donut shop here in Seattle- Christ-y Kremes.

Tagline: Jelly is of the world. Our donuts are filled with the Holy Spirit.

13. A christian friend of mine once saw “Fear Not” on someone’s T-shirt, a Biblical twist on the popular “No Fear” brand T-shirt at the time.

He said he wanted to have nothing to do with Christianity if it was behind that! He was 12 years old at the time.

He turned out to be an artist.

14. Eugene,
    I must confess I had the same reaction when I first came across Godtube but then of course I have a blog GodSpace.wordpress.com so I am not sure if that makes me part of the problem or part of the solution.
    If you really want to see the worst of Christian take offs I suggest you visit shipoffools.com Their gadgets for God have to be seen to be beleived.

15. […] Can you believe it GodTube has just raised $30 million for its site.  Read the story here […]

16. Neal Taylor says:

Sad my comment didn’t appear – was it too cynical?

17. dreamxchaser says:

haha. godspace..i have to admit i laguhed pretty hard at that one. i dont have any ideas, but i do remeber the god tube. i went to it once, and got pretty angry. Havnt gone back since. how it got 30 million dollars i beyond me truly.
    i hope they use that money to make a difference..not more videos.

It. Still. Hurts.
#TamirRice Incredible news: @onedayswages is projecting to have our most impactful year as we grant out $1.3 million dollars! Thank you so much for your prayers and support...please read on to learn how you can join in our work.

As you gather with family, friends, and loved ones for Thanksgiving and the holidays, I wanted to share an opportunity. Often times, when I speak to people about the privilege of generosity, I remind them, "You don't have to but you get to." It's so true.

My wife and I (and our three kids) started ODW in 2009. We felt the Holy Spirit convicting us to give up our year's salary. It wasn't an easy thing to say "Yes" or "Amen" to but we made the decision to obey. As a result, it took us about three years to save, simplify, and sell off things we didn't need.

It's been an incredible journey as we've learned so much about the heart of God and God's love for the hurting and vulnerable around the world - particularly those living in extreme poverty. ODW is a small, scrappy, grassroots organization (with just 3 full-time employees) but since our launch, we've raised nearly $6 million dollars to help those living in extreme poverty: clean water and sanitation, education, maternal health, human trafficking, refugee crisis, hunger, and the list goes on and on.

So, here's my humble ask: As we do this work, would you consider making a pledge to support our work...so that we can keep doing this work with integrity and excellence?
You can make a one time gift or make monthly pledge of just $25 (or more). Thanks so much for considering this: http://onedayswages.org/give (link in bio, too) Don't just count your blessings. Bless others with your blessings. Here, there, everywhere. Be a blessing for this blesses our Father in Heaven and builds the Kingdom of God.

#ReThinkRegugees #WeWelcomeRefugees
@onedayswages Grateful. Still reflecting on the letters that I've received from classmates and students that have come before me and after me. Never imagined all that God would have in store for me. Lots of humbling things but in the midst of them, there were literally thousands upon thousands of daily decisions and choices to be faithful. That's what matters. Seen or unseen. Noticed or unnoticed. You do your best and sometimes you stumble and fumble along but nevertheless, seeking to be faithful.

Also, you know you're getting old when your school honors you with a Distinguished Alumni Award. Lol. 47 is the new 27. Or something like that. Here's to the next 47. In our culture, we can be so obsessed with the "spectacular" or "glamorous." The Church often engagws in thia language and paradigm...but what if God has called many of us to small, ordinary things?

Will we still be faithful?
Will we still go about such things with great love and joy?

I recently came across this picture taken by @mattylew, one of our church staff...and I started tearing up: This is my mother; in her 70s; with realities of some disabilities that make it difficult for her to stand up and sit down...but here she is on her knees and prostate in prayer. She doesn't have any social media accounts, barely knows how to use her smartphone, doesn't have a platform, hasn't written a book, doesn't have any titles in our church, isn't listed as a leader or an expert or a consultant or a guru. But she simply seeks to do her best - by God's grace - to be faithful to God. She prays for hours every day inteceding for our family, our church, and the larger world.

Even if we're not noticed or celebrated or elevated...let's be faithful. Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant. And not even successful in the eyes of the world.

Be faithful. Amen. #notetoself (and maybe helpful for someone else)

At times, we have to say ‘NO’ to good things to say ‘YES’ to the most important things.

We can't do it all.