indiana jones, 12th cylon, and must see video

An amazing story about sportsmanship in a college women’s softball game last Saturday in Ellensburg, Washington.  Do yourself a favor and WATCH THE VIDEO.  [I’ll try to imbed it later.]

Western Oregon’s Sara Tucholsky is carried around the bases by Central Washington’s Liz Wallace, left, and Mallory Holtman after injuring her knee following her home run during their softball game Saturday April 26, 2008, in Ellensburg, Wash. With two runners on base and a strike against her, Tucholsky uncorked her best swing and did something she had never done, in high school or college. Her first home run cleared the center-field fence

**********************************************************************************************

As some of you know, while I’m curious about TV shows, I simply can’t stand watching them because of something called COMMERCIALS.  I hate commercials but thanks to Blockbuster, I’ve been enjoying some shows on DVD.  Last year, I went through Heroes and enjoyed it.  And after the blog readers recommended I check out Battlestar Galactica, I finally made it through Season 3.

Wow – great and intense show.  Took me a while to get used to the fact that it’s verydifferent from the original BSG. But it leads me to ask the question:  Who’s the 12th cylon?

Any new recommendations?  I’m not into comedies but am looking for a show in the Sci-Fi/Drama genre.

*****************************************************************************

I feel like a little kid all over again.  Minhee and I don’t get to go out too often to see movies but I can’t wait to see the 3rd 4th installment of Indiana Jones.  As much as I enjoyed Star Wars in the 70s and 80s, I think I may have enjoyed these movies even more.

Paramount Pictures\' Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - 2008

Filed under: entertainment, ,

1. edward says:

Ahhh! Indiana Jones…I’m very eager to see the movie as well but seriously, isn’t Harrison Ford in his 60s?

2. David says:

One of my favorite sci-fi series was the short lived Firefly.

3. jason says:

this is the 4th Indiana Jone series dude:

temple of doom

raiders of lost ark

the one which had sean connery as his dad and took place in nazi germany

now this one…think i messed up the order but still, its 4

4. Randall says:

One of my favorite TV shows is available online at the excellent hulu.com website (see David’s reply). It’s called Picket Fences and it’s about a small town dealing with very big problems. Thing I loved about the show is even though they dealt with very controversial, hot button topics (separation of church and state, gay rights, racism, and euthanasia, just to name a few), they did so in a very fair, even-handed way – they had characters who would make great cases for both sides of the debate.

An amazing show.

5. gar says:

According to rumors started by the director, none of the characters pictured in the “Last Supper” photo above are the 12th Cylon. So if I were to guess… maybe Doc Coddle? (the chain smoking doctor)

Indiana Jones order:

-raiders of the lost ark
    -temple of doom
    -the last crusade

*kingdom of the crystal skull

6. William Woo says:

-Jason beat me to it. Yeah, this is the 4th one. I really liked the 1st and 3rd, they had some Christian themes/overtones…the 2nd was supposed to be a pre-quel, and this one I really don’t know much about. I wonder if there will be any allusions to “the Lost Ark” or “The Holy Grail”.

Your profile pic caught my eye. I heard a story associated with it, about the photographer (won the Pulitzer?).

And I was thinking, Do you mean Cylon?

7. eugenecho says:

sorry guys,

this is what happens when you write a post at 1am after a long sunday.

8. justin says:

very eclectic post…

1. the espn story choked me up. this stuff needs to happen more than coaches choking players, players assaulting fans and people fighting over money.

2. what is it about commercials that you hate so much? even during the super bowl? i definitely think that they’re annoying, but there are some humorous, well-shot and/or beautifully designed/animated ones out there. plus, making commercials pays my bills. i have a family to support. =)

3. tv recos: lost. it’s not a traditional sci-fi series, but it’s good. and there’s always star trek the next generation.

9. eugenecho says:

justin, I only enjoy your commercials.

I saw the first season of lost and really enjoyed it. but for whatever reason, the beginning if the 2nd season disappointed but I might try it again. hearing good things again.

10. cool dad says:

i’m thinking that the 12th Cylon has to be someone significant. I might feel a little let down if there was a HUGE build-up to reveal that the final model is Hot Dog.

Lee Adama would be an amazing move, but do Cylons age? If not, I don’t know how they could’ve stuck him under the Admiral’s nose.

11. kent says:

I would second David’s sggestion – Firefly. Great but too short lived series.

12. beattieblog says:

ok, the softball video made me tear up in Zoka. You couldn’t script that – I loved the quote from the Western Washington coach, Pam Knox: “It’s a great moment when someone has character to step up and do the right thing at the right time.”

Eugene – what is your problem? You need to watch “30 Rock”. It’s the funniest show in the history of television. Jenna on love being hard: “It’s hiding who you are at all times. It’s wearing make up to bed and going downstairs to the Burger King to poop.”

Tina Fey’s character dates a loser guy who still sells beepers (convinced they’re going to make a comeback). Jack, Alec Baldwin’s character mocks him and buys a beeper:

Liz: Okay, very funny. You bought a pager from Dennis. Will you take it off now, please?
    Jack: Oh, I can’t. I’m expecting a call from 1983.

C’mon, Eugene!

13. beattieblog says:

BTW, the last Indiana Jones is in my top…12 movies of all time. I wasn’t allowed to watch the first 2 as a kid but they’re good. I got goosebumbs when I saw the trailer for the new one recently…

14. chenster22 says:

i guess i’ll be the third to mention firefly. fox has a great history of cancelling great shows (arrested development, firefly).

i can’t wait for indiana jones… so many memories of watching it growing up and closing my eyes during one specific scene in each movie. can you guess which ones?

15. Jason Dye says:

i’ll fourth (again) Firefly and its movie, Serenity.

and, if you’re going to go for comedy, 30 Rock is ok. but Arrested Development is(was) the best comedy series since since Seinfeld and the Simpsons hit their zeitgeist.

16. Rebecca says:

When I saw this post, I immediately thought Firefly, but couldn’t comment right away (darn work). And now I see that everybody else wants you to watch Firefly too.

I grew up on Star Trek (TNG is awesome and I own all seven seasons of Voyager), but we have also watched a lot of Babylon 5 and Stargate in my house. We’re big sci-fi nerds around here.

Another awesome, short-lived show was Wonderfalls. Not exactly sci-fi, unless you call talking inanimate animal objects sci-fi. But quirky and poignant at the same time.

And Indiana Jones is the MAN!

17. eugenecho says:

I tried to watch Serenity and couldn’t get past the first half hour. Hmm. Must be me.

does anyone else watch BSG?

18. Janet says:

@edward:

Harrison is turning 66 in July! From Wikipedia:

“He was ranked #1 in Empire’s “The Top 100 Movie Stars of All Time” list. As of May 2007, the domestic box office grosses of Ford’s films total about US$3.10 billion,[1] with worldwide grosses approaching $6 billion, making Ford the No. 4 domestic box-office star behind Samuel L. Jackson,[2] Eddie Murphy and Tom Hanks.”

19. Jason Dye says:

eugene,

maybe you should watch Firefly first. it’s the series that the movie’s based off of.

the movie does, however, pick up steam. like a locomotive.

just watch out for the reevers.

20. Dan Hauge says:

Does anyone else think that BSG picture looks eerily like DaVinci’s Last Supper? The poses are not exact, so it’s a stretch, but still . . . kind of cool. Maybe.

21. gaius says:

i recommend the wire; it gives good and realistic perspective into issues involving the inner-city…

22. cheeseholm says:

big big BIG BSG fan since recording the original miniseries several years ago on a crusty old VHS in 2003. The show has been an unparalleled success in my book- even if we drifted in space there for a bit in at the end of Season 3… The best sci fi, as with the best fiction in general, focuses not on fantastical technological achievements or wonderous settings (although these can be bits involved) but rather on characters, on the human condition. BSG is phenomenal because it’s scope IS the human condition- what’s left of it anyway…
    My guess on the Final Cylon? Zac Adama- Leoben, although accused of being a liar and a sower of dissent, hasn’t really lied at all throughout the series- he just speaks in riddles…
    Anyway… In a fight, Adama could totally whoop pretty much all the Star Trek captains at once. Except for Kirk- he’s got that flying kick, two-handed chop thing…But then again, Adama has the Frakking Death Stair…

23. cool dad says:

why not just combine the two beautiful worlds of comedy and sci-fi? Futurama!!

if you liked the Simpsons at all during their heyday, then Futurama may be for you. there’s actually some very human drama entwined in their silly stories of the future, space travel, and aliens.

These are crazy, turbulent times. Fight the good fight. Run the race set before us.

But we also need you for the long haul. Don't burn out. Discipleship and justice work is a marathon. Learn to take care of yourself. Don't play the victim. It's far too tempting to blame others. Be rooted in prayer, Scripture, and community. It's okay to pause, critical to rest and retreat, and godly to practice Sabbath.

#NoteToSelf Everyone loves the idea of  reconciliation...until it involves truthtelling, confessing, repenting, dismantling, forgiving, and peacemaking. Charlottesville. So heartbreaking and infuriating. We weep and mourn over the hatred in the hearts of these white nationalists. We weep and mourn but we can't be defeated.

As I stare at this photo that's making its round on the internet, I'm reminded of the utter importance of showing up. I'm grateful for the news media, law enforcement, clergy, and peaceful protesters that are currently there to report, protect, pray, and protest.

And this is an invitation to us. May we not be mere bystanders. May we keep pressing forward. Seek justice. Love mercy. Walk humbly. Commit to truth-telling, justice, reconciliation, peacemaking. Follow the ways of Christ. Every day. And it's important to note that we don't have to go to Charlottesville to do this. In fact, it's more important that we do this exactly where we're at. May we live out the call to reconciliation in our churches, workplaces, neighborhoods, schools, and around our dining tables. Lord, may it be so... We don't have to go to Charlottesville to do this. We have to do this wherever were called to be.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” ~ Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. /// Thanks to those who let me know that the photo wasn't actually from today but rather from last month in Charlottesville. - https://www.facebook.com/FrankSomervilleKTVU/posts/1551137301616258:0 Grateful for a spontaneous, last minute trip with Minhee to my old stomping grounds - San Francisco. 48 hours of visiting this special city that I called home for so many years.

Pic 1: Went to the Cliff House restaurant where we got engaged about 21 years ago to make out. Oops, sorry, I meant...to reflect on God's faithfulness over these many years.

Pic 2: Walked across the Golden Gate Bridge because it's such an iconic place - with some of the most incredible views.

Pic 3: Enjoyed a glass of some Cabernet Sauvignon and pretended to be wine connoisseurs at a vineyard.

Pic 4: Had lunch at my favorite Chinese restaurant, Sam Tung, which boasts some of the best chicken in the country. And of course, we ate at In-n-out.

Pic 5: And finally, celebrated with the good folks at @thefreedomstory where @onedayswages received their annual Freedom Award. What an honor.

Grateful. Thankful for this sabbatical. Breathe.

Show yourself some grace.

We can't do everything for everyone in every situation. Do what you can and do it with a joyful heart.

Amen A family that eats sushi together stays together.

Seriously, I don't ever remember eating so much as a teenager but these kids eat and eat and eat. Perhaps, the reason why this kid is pushing 6 feet tall. Grateful for a special treat with the family at @JaponessaSeattle.