hobbies

hob·by [hob-ee] –noun

an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation: Her hobbies include stamp-collecting and woodcarving.

Before the three kids arrived to the Cho household, my two prominent hobbies were fishing and anything related to playing Sports.  Umm, time has posed a challenge to both of those hobbies.

Here’s a simple question as we begin a new week:  What is your favorite hobby and what’s something you hope to pursue in the future?

My answer:  Sports.   The hobby I’m hoping to pursue is Photography.  Had a chance to visit the Tulip Festival at Skagit Valley [which has been extended to this upcoming Sunday] last week and took some photos.  Also hoping to enjoy the outdoors/camping with Minhee and the kids in the upcoming years.

On a side note, my wife and I are hoping to invest in a camera – either a DSLR or point-and-shoot to use for our sabbatical and for future usage when we do some work with the humanitarian organization.   What are your recommendations [max $800]?

Filed under: family

1. Jennifer says:

In the past I have loved photography, especially working in the darkroom. But, that’s a hobby that takes much time and expense…both are hard to come by as a parent.

In the future, I would love to learn to make stained-glass. I keep my eyes open for the community college class in this, but I’ve not been able to do it yet. Someday. Also, I want to learn how to make cheese of all kinds. Neither of these are very likely to happen though since my current hobbies of “keeping the house clean” and “not failing my classes” keep me pretty busy🙂

2. Kacie says:

Canon s3 or s4 or whatever the newest one is a great option. If you need a quick point and shoot, put it on automatic. You can also set it manually, and it is an excellent camera.

3. Brad says:

Guitar (several years) and Photography (no experience whatsoever).

Future? It’d be nice to pursue both, but I’m barely able to afford pursuing one as a grad student….

I echo the Canon recommendation from Kacie. That is an awesome camera for the cash.

4. justin says:

i’m a newbie when it comes to photography… but i recommend spending half of your budget on the camera and the rest on a good lens and accessories (based on what kind of shooting you’ll be doing– a good flash for indoor photos, a tripod for planned/staged shots, etc). i have a nikon d40 (you can probably snag one for about $400 online which comes w/ a 18-55mm zoom lens). it’s 6megapixel which should be plenty (unless you’re hoping to enlarge to poster size).

if you end up getting the d40, lemme know… i have an instructional dvd that will orient you to the camera and shooting a DSLR.

5. justin says:

oh… and to answer your questions:

1. i have too many little hobbies, none of which i’ve quite mastered (which is the point, i guess). a sampling: woodworking, guitar, guitar hero, photography, sewing, crossword puzzles, sneaker collecting.

2. i’d love to (if i had the time/resources) to develop my woodworking skills. it’s been my dream since college to build a hand-crafted foosball table w/ carved players and everything. right now i just build shoe racks (i have alot of shoes).

6. Blake says:

Drumming (several years… but not since HS due to space and noise limitations in my living space) and I need to find one to get back into. I used to really enjoy building plastic models of world war II aircraft as a kid, maybe I can start that again. The only challenge is the amount of workspace plastic modeling takes… hmmm.

7. aaron says:

My current hobby is mountain biking…

For the future, maybe join a boxing gym (not to fight) just for the challenge… oh and it would be pretty cool to climb one of the 7 summits.

8. Josh says:

Hi. I’ve been into photography for many years. I use a 6-year old Sony DSLR that other photographers would scoff at but I absolutely love. I’ve gone hunting for new cameras in the past several years, but nothing compares with the features I’ve come to love on my Sony. I’ve printed 30″ prints from some of the photos that are currently on my blog, and they look stunning (sorry to boast).

My point is not recommending Sony. My point is that you will have your own unique habits in the field of photography, and will like/need certain features, prefer the camera to have a certain texture or have it’s weight in this area or that. I have two recommendations for choosing a camera:

1. If you know of anyone who has a camera that you’re thinking about buying, ask them if you can take it for a test run. It may be that there will be something about the camera while using it that will turn you off or on to it.

2. dpreview.com. Longstanding and trusted. You can choose cameras to compare, search by camera features, and see all the information you want to in their full reviews.

Good luck! Photography is a very rewarding hobby!

9. chad says:

current hobby: being outdoors – however i manage it (usually hiking something local and simple) although i sometimes borrow a friend’s bike

future: rock climbing – done it once or twice and i LOVE IT, now just gotta figure out how to pay for it…

10. Janet says:

Eugene,

That’s a beautiful picture. Looks like you’ve already got a good eye for photos. I’m recommending a Canon G7 or G9 if you go the route of Point and Shoot.

11. queltica says:

i think my current hobby is fantasizing – glorify it and call it “visualizing”, if you like. sometimes a useful tool for forward motion, sometimes a fun escape when nothing else is possible.

future – develop more of the music and other creative hobbies, finding a way to move from fantasy back to hobby and eventually to more of a center

12. Rebecca says:

Dancing is definitely a current hobby, although what I would love to pursue is languages-speaking, reading, and traveling to practice!

13. sarah P says:

What is with all the canon recommendations? =) Actually, I hear good things about both Cannon and Nikon. I just bought my first DSLR and took nearly 2 months to research, read, and ask for recommendations. Everything pointed me to the Nikon D40X and I LOVE it….great for a beginner like myself…

14. justin says:

i second that. i work with alot of directors, designers, artists… and they all seem to skew more towards nikon.

15. daphne says:

Hi there. My favorite hobbies are knitting and reading. I’m pretty much an addict. Something I hope to work on in the future is more abstract textile work. I especially would like to mix different types of mediums and encorporate them into fabric. That kind of stuff really excites me! I’m clueless about cameras. Sorry pastor E.

16. David Park says:

i’ve been getting into digital photography lately and i recently made a purchase that has made me love taking pictures, even to the point that i’m willing to face ridicule for carrying a camera everywhere i go.

pentax k100d super. and you’re in luck, eugene. they just released the k200d. it’s better than the nikon d40, it has more focus points, and is backwards compatible with all pentax lenses ever made. pentax also features a dust removal system, whereas the nikon doesn’t. dust is a killer on digital cameras and a primary reason why digital cameras start to suck after a couple of years. also, it is very user-friendly and has great automatic features, and pentax lenses are legendarily good. at the price range you mentioned, i think you’d be pretty impressed. but be sure to save some money for a low-light lens (the lower the f-stop, the better) and don’t forget batteries, tripod, camera bag, etc.

17. Su says:

I recommend a Canon SLR….I’m taking a digital photography class for ‘work’ at the PCNW near SU. (thanks again for your contribution to my training) Love the class, recommend it if you wanna really utilize a digital SLR. 10 week course. Our instructor recommends Canon, but also says Nikon is great. I’ve been told by some photographic guru-friends that even a Canon Rebel is a good buy. Where you want to spend your money on is the lens. Canon Rebels now about in the price range you mention. I’d recommend looking on Costco online. They have such a good return policy if anything were to go wrong with the camera, but you can get it for cheaper on other sites….

I’ve been told that besides the lens you get with the camera, you should next get a 50mm fixed lens. Good buy and not very expensive.

Book I recommend: Photography by London and some other guy…forgot his name.

18. suann says:

hi there, de-lurking for a moment [have been following your blog for a while] since i’m in the throws of camera research. i have a canon g7 that i looove — to me its the perfect in between of a point and shoot + dslr. however, because i’m now digging photography so much i’m upgrading to dslr and considering the canon xti or d40 [likely going with the d40]. based on your needs + price range, i’d recommend the canon g9 [seriously, i love this camera] or an entry-level slr like the canon rebel xti or nikon 40d and get a good lens. the slr + lens will get you above your price limit but you’ll be set for a while.

hope all is well. -ss