man of your dreams

I started blogging for numerous reasons but in short, I wanted to be accessible to folks and also share and add my voice to the larger blogosphere.  I did not anticipate that e-friendships could actually develop through blogging.  I also did not anticipate that the blog would resonate with others in blogosphere.  Thanks for reading, commenting, inquiring, pushing back, and simply, journeying…

But I have to admit, this is a little bizarre.  Yesterday, this dude from Atlanta Nashville – ElderJ at Intersection –  who I’ve never met but is on my blogroll and occasionally comments here had a dream about me – where I’m naked.  Sorry.  Bad joke.  Anyway, anyone want to try to interpret this dream?  Check out his blog and let me know if I need to get some sort of blogo-restraining-order.

Here’s the dream:

Last night, for some reason entirely beyond my cognitive ability to discern, I had a dream about meeting Eugene Cho, the two fisted blogging pastor from somewhere out west where I suspect it rains a lot. I have never had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Cho (Cho Moksanim) except through the blogosphere. So here it is, as best I can recount it.

In the dream, I and Eugene are walking through what appears to be conference center of some kind, but which really looks like a student center on a college campus. As we walk I am explaining to him something about this “event” that we are apparently both a part of and which I am evidently in charge of coordinating. While walking through we pass by a number of rooms in which various student gospel choirs are preparing themselves for a concert. We also passed by one of my current student who I recognized only from the back of his head, as he was busy studying. Then (this is really weird) we passed by Wayne Park, who I have also never met, but who is sitting with his laptop typing something. Eugene greets him, and I am surprised they know each other, but say nothing as I remember that they do indeed know one another. All the time we’re walking, I keep thinking to myself, “Eugene is a lot shorter than I thought he would be,” and “Wow, his hair is really interesting.”

We finally arrive at “the room” where Eugene’s presentation is to take place. It is a very nice room set up amphitheater style with large red very modern sofa type seating arranged in a semi-circle. Eugene comments that it is just like his church, but I am confused because I thought his church met in some other kind of space, but again I say nothing. Of course I’ve never seen his church either. He leaves the room to go get some “equipment,” and I again wonder why he isn’t taller than I thought he would be. My last thought before waking? I really like this room.

And what’s up with the comments about my height and about my beautiful, full, black, curly hair.  Don’t hate what you ain’t.

Filed under: entertainment

1. Eric says:

That picture and that hair = nightmare. 🙂

2. elderj says:

No need for a blog restraining order…. I’m as confused as you are…

3. elderj says:

Oh by the way… I’m in Nashville, not Atlanta. 🙂

4. eugenecho says:

elderj: what would be absolutely cool is to be at a point in the future and the dream comes to fruition and we remember this dream.

5. Dennis says:

This is my interpretation. You erred on the brown chairs for Quest and God wants you to repent and buy red chairs. You will go to Nashville and speak at a conference there. You are short and will remain short. Your hair needs to be controlled by the Holy Spirit and it’s time to get a haircut.

But don’t stone me.

6. Wayne Park says:

Dennis; not to be narcissist but where do I fit in your interpretation?

7. g says:

Dreams about blog stars, eh?

Maybe it’s prophetic of a future meeting.

8. Style Quiz says:

I find your hair attractive and stylish, however don’t worry what people think. I like you for who you are!

9. JB says:

Elder J, here’s my shot:

You see Eugene as a partner (you are both leaders in this “conference”). The conference represents an opportunity come together in community to share learning with others (about faith and God). The rooms are full of people preparing and practicing their faith through song and study. So it’s a big association of seekers, and you and EC are in leadership positions.

EC takes you someplace you don’t expect. More modern (the room and furniture) than you expected, yet here you are. And as he leaves for a moment you reflect on how unexpected it is, the room and that EC would lead you here (after all, wouldn’t someone who brought you to someplace significant and unexpected (in your thinking about faith, maybe?) be much taller and have less interesting hair? 🙂

BTW Elder J, really enjoyed your 4/26 post on politics.

10. elderj says:

Wow so many interesting interpretations… though I would hesitate to stake my next steps in life and ministry on any one of them. It would be quite fun though to look back on this one day as Eugene mentioned and remember this dream. Who knows what God has in store. Of course, we still haven’t figured out why Wayne Park is there…

11. jessica hong says:

ahem… i believe the quote is:
    “don’t hate me cuz you ain’t me!”
    😀

12. Wayne Park says:

no, it’s “don’t hate the playa, hate the game” or “don’t hate the game”… wutever.

13. L.L. Barkat says:

Came over from Jesus Creed. LOVE that pic.

Now, about dreams and the blogosphere, I have had at least three people write to me on my blog and share that they dreamed of me. One of my favorites was someone who dreamed I was a redhead teaching her to write (sure I’m a writer, but definitely not a redhead).

What does it mean that you are an inspirer of dreams? Maybe nothing. But maybe something too.

Window seat. For the win. As leaders, we must not see ministry and family as competing commitments.  We must not sacrifice our marriage and kids for the sake of "ministry." How can we? Loving our families IS ministry & good leadership.

And on a side note, we took this goofy photo for Mother's Day last Sunday at @seattlequest. I was shocked! What in the world happened to our kids? Our 13 year old son blocked four of my shots on the basketball court yesterday. He's since been grounded... I fear that we ask God to move mountains, forgetting that God also wants to move us.

In fact, it's possible that we are that mountain. Time flies. The eldest is wrapping up her 1st year in college and the college tours have begun for the 2nd child. The youngest enters high school in the Fall. Can't say enough about how proud Minhee and I are of the kids - not just of their accomplishments but the people they are and are becoming.

But...man...we can't wait to party it up when we're emptynesters. Party at our house. It's going to be epic. Humbled. Grateful. Mindful of God's grace and faithfulness in my life. It's all grace... It's an unexpected honor to be invited back - even with some mini-drama - to @princetonseminary to receive the 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award - exactly 25 years after starting my journey there as a student in 1992. Wow.

Princeton isn't necessarily for everyone. And to say that I loved everything about my experience would be misleading but it was very formative. Ir challenged me to examine why I believed in what I believed. It reminded me that God could handle my questions. It prepared me for a post-Christian context where I am not entitled to be heard but I had to earn the right to be heard, and of course, it taught me that all is good with a Philly cheese steak at Hoagie Haven.

No one is an island to themselves and I am certainly an example of that. Many people - women and men, young and old, and of many backgrounds - prayed, encouraged, mentored, and loved me along the way. Grateful for my professors at seminary, my many classmates, and the numerous fellow staff and co-laborers I've had the privilege of serving Christ with past and present. And of course, I'm forever inspired by my parents, my children, and my wife, Minhee. Thank you for your faith, hope, and love...and oh, for your patience. Only your family will know and see both the best and worst of you. They've seen my worst...and keep on believing in me.

Thank you again, PTS and President Barnes, for this honor. Then, today, and tomorrow...by God's grace, just striving to be faithful to my Lord and Savior...to preach and live out the convictions of the whole Gospel. Amen. So humbled and grateful to be with @catalystleader in Cincinnati to encourage leaders from all around the country about the invitation to Uncommon Fellowship.

Preached from John 4. We can talk, preach, sing, philsophize, liturgize, and spit rhymes about Samaria...but we still have to talk through Samaria.

• "They got money for wars but can't feed the poor." ~ Tupac #trumpbudget || 2 days ago
  • Heartbroken. Praying for Manchester & the UK. For those mourning loved ones. For those injured and fighting for life. Lord, in your mercy. || 3 days ago
  • Window seat. For the win. https://t.co/yG66Sm2bvu || 5 days ago
  • As leaders, we must not sacrifice our family for the sake of ministry because loving our family IS good leadership: instagram.com/p/BUVAGVwg-5z/ || 5 days ago
  • We long for a Gospel that comforts but resist the Gospel that disrupts. Having the former without the latter seduces us into complacency. || 5 days ago
  • Love wins in the end but in the meanwhile,it fights for things that matter. Love isn't sentimental. It's both gentle & fierce. Love endures. || 1 week ago