man of your dreams

I started blogging for numerous reasons but in short, I wanted to be accessible to folks and also share and add my voice to the larger blogosphere.  I did not anticipate that e-friendships could actually develop through blogging.  I also did not anticipate that the blog would resonate with others in blogosphere.  Thanks for reading, commenting, inquiring, pushing back, and simply, journeying…

But I have to admit, this is a little bizarre.  Yesterday, this dude from Atlanta Nashville – ElderJ at Intersection –  who I’ve never met but is on my blogroll and occasionally comments here had a dream about me – where I’m naked.  Sorry.  Bad joke.  Anyway, anyone want to try to interpret this dream?  Check out his blog and let me know if I need to get some sort of blogo-restraining-order.

Here’s the dream:

Last night, for some reason entirely beyond my cognitive ability to discern, I had a dream about meeting Eugene Cho, the two fisted blogging pastor from somewhere out west where I suspect it rains a lot. I have never had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Cho (Cho Moksanim) except through the blogosphere. So here it is, as best I can recount it.

In the dream, I and Eugene are walking through what appears to be conference center of some kind, but which really looks like a student center on a college campus. As we walk I am explaining to him something about this “event” that we are apparently both a part of and which I am evidently in charge of coordinating. While walking through we pass by a number of rooms in which various student gospel choirs are preparing themselves for a concert. We also passed by one of my current student who I recognized only from the back of his head, as he was busy studying. Then (this is really weird) we passed by Wayne Park, who I have also never met, but who is sitting with his laptop typing something. Eugene greets him, and I am surprised they know each other, but say nothing as I remember that they do indeed know one another. All the time we’re walking, I keep thinking to myself, “Eugene is a lot shorter than I thought he would be,” and “Wow, his hair is really interesting.”

We finally arrive at “the room” where Eugene’s presentation is to take place. It is a very nice room set up amphitheater style with large red very modern sofa type seating arranged in a semi-circle. Eugene comments that it is just like his church, but I am confused because I thought his church met in some other kind of space, but again I say nothing. Of course I’ve never seen his church either. He leaves the room to go get some “equipment,” and I again wonder why he isn’t taller than I thought he would be. My last thought before waking? I really like this room.

And what’s up with the comments about my height and about my beautiful, full, black, curly hair.  Don’t hate what you ain’t.

Filed under: entertainment

1. Eric says:

That picture and that hair = nightmare. 🙂

2. elderj says:

No need for a blog restraining order…. I’m as confused as you are…

3. elderj says:

Oh by the way… I’m in Nashville, not Atlanta. 🙂

4. eugenecho says:

elderj: what would be absolutely cool is to be at a point in the future and the dream comes to fruition and we remember this dream.

5. Dennis says:

This is my interpretation. You erred on the brown chairs for Quest and God wants you to repent and buy red chairs. You will go to Nashville and speak at a conference there. You are short and will remain short. Your hair needs to be controlled by the Holy Spirit and it’s time to get a haircut.

But don’t stone me.

6. Wayne Park says:

Dennis; not to be narcissist but where do I fit in your interpretation?

7. g says:

Dreams about blog stars, eh?

Maybe it’s prophetic of a future meeting.

8. Style Quiz says:

I find your hair attractive and stylish, however don’t worry what people think. I like you for who you are!

9. JB says:

Elder J, here’s my shot:

You see Eugene as a partner (you are both leaders in this “conference”). The conference represents an opportunity come together in community to share learning with others (about faith and God). The rooms are full of people preparing and practicing their faith through song and study. So it’s a big association of seekers, and you and EC are in leadership positions.

EC takes you someplace you don’t expect. More modern (the room and furniture) than you expected, yet here you are. And as he leaves for a moment you reflect on how unexpected it is, the room and that EC would lead you here (after all, wouldn’t someone who brought you to someplace significant and unexpected (in your thinking about faith, maybe?) be much taller and have less interesting hair? 🙂

BTW Elder J, really enjoyed your 4/26 post on politics.

10. elderj says:

Wow so many interesting interpretations… though I would hesitate to stake my next steps in life and ministry on any one of them. It would be quite fun though to look back on this one day as Eugene mentioned and remember this dream. Who knows what God has in store. Of course, we still haven’t figured out why Wayne Park is there…

11. jessica hong says:

ahem… i believe the quote is:
    “don’t hate me cuz you ain’t me!”
    😀

12. Wayne Park says:

no, it’s “don’t hate the playa, hate the game” or “don’t hate the game”… wutever.

13. L.L. Barkat says:

Came over from Jesus Creed. LOVE that pic.

Now, about dreams and the blogosphere, I have had at least three people write to me on my blog and share that they dreamed of me. One of my favorites was someone who dreamed I was a redhead teaching her to write (sure I’m a writer, but definitely not a redhead).

What does it mean that you are an inspirer of dreams? Maybe nothing. But maybe something too.

Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. Thanks for your prayers.
I have numerous stories to share but for now, the following came up in every conversation with Iraqi/Syrian refugees:

1 Have tea with us. Or coffee. Or juice. Or something with lots of sugar in it. Or better yet, all of the above.
2 We want peace. We want security.
3 We hate ISIS.
4 We just want to go home.
5 Please don't forget us.

Please don't forget them... Father, please bless and protect these Iraqi and Syrian "refugee" children that have already endured so much. Protect their hearts and mind from unfathomable trauma. Plant seeds of hope and vision in their lives. And as we pray for them, teach us how to advocate for them. Amen. "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." -  local Iraqi priest whose church has welcomed many "relatives" to their church's property

It's always a privilege to be invited into peoples' home for tea - even if it's a temporary tent. This is an extended Yezidi family that fled the Mosul, Iraq area because of ISIS. It's indeed true that Christians were targeted by ISIS and thatbstory muat be shared but other minority groups like the Yezidis were also targeted. Some of their heartbreaking stories included the kidnapping of their sister. They shared that their father passed away shortly of a "broken heart." The conversation was emotional but afterwards, we asked each other for permission to take photos. Once the selfies came out, the real smiles came out.

So friends: Pray for Iraq. Pray for the persecuted Church. Pray for Christians, minority groups like the Yezidis who fear they will e completely wiped out in the Middle East,, and Muslims alike who are all suffering under ISIS. Friends: I'm traveling in the Middle East this week - Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. (Make sure you follow my pics/stories on IG stories). Specifically, I'm here representing @onedayswages to meet, learn, and listen to pastors, local leaders, NGOs, and of course directly from refugees from within these countries - including many from Syria.

For security purposes, I haven't been able to share at all but I'm now able to start sharing some photos and stories. For now, I'll be sharing numerous photos through my IG stories and will be sharing some longer written pieces in couple months when ODW launches another wave of partnerships to come alongside refugees in these areas. Four of us are traveling together also for the purpose of creating a short documentary that we hope to release early next year.

While I'm on my church sabbatical, it's truly a privilege to be able to come to these countries and to meet local pastors and indigenous leaders that tirelessly pursue peace and justice, and to hear directly from refugees. I've read so many various articles and pieces over the years and I thought I was prepared but it has been jarring, heartbreaking,  and gut wrenching. In the midst of such chaos, there's hope but there's also a lot of questions, too.

I hope you follow along as I share photos, stories, and help release this mini-documentary. Please tag friends that might be interested.

Please pray for safety, for empathy, for humility and integrity, for divine meetings. Pray that we listen well; To be present and not just be a consumer of these vulnerable stories. That's my biggest prayer.

Special thanks to @worldvisionusa and @worldrelief for hosting us on this journey. 9/11
Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.

Today, I had some gut wrenching and heart breaking conversations about war, violence, and peacemaking. Mostly, I listened. Never in my wildest imagination did I envision having these conversations on 9/11 of all days. I wish I could share more now but I hope to later after I process them for a few days.

But indeed: Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.
May it be so. Amen. Mount Rainier is simply epic. There's nothing like flying in and out of Seattle.

#mountrainier
#seattle
#northwestisbest

• Boom. Final fishing trip. Grateful. A nice way to end my 3 month sabbatical. #catchandrelease twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 1 day ago
  • Christians: May we be guided by the Scriptures that remind us, "Seek first the Kingdom of God" and not, "Seek first the kingdom of America." || 1 day ago
  • Every convo with Iraqi/Syrian refugees included: 1 Have tea with us 2 We want peace 3 We hate ISIS 4 We want to go home 5 Don't forget us || 4 days ago
  • Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan to assess @OneDaysWages' partnerships & to film mini-documentary on refugee crisis. So many emotions. || 4 days ago
  • Pray for Mexico. For those mourning loved ones. For those fighting for life - even under rubbles. For rescue workers. Lord, in your mercy. || 4 days ago
  • Don't underestimate what God can do through you. God has a very long history of using foolish and broken people for His purposes and glory. || 6 days ago