man of your dreams

I started blogging for numerous reasons but in short, I wanted to be accessible to folks and also share and add my voice to the larger blogosphere.  I did not anticipate that e-friendships could actually develop through blogging.  I also did not anticipate that the blog would resonate with others in blogosphere.  Thanks for reading, commenting, inquiring, pushing back, and simply, journeying…

But I have to admit, this is a little bizarre.  Yesterday, this dude from Atlanta Nashville – ElderJ at Intersection –  who I’ve never met but is on my blogroll and occasionally comments here had a dream about me – where I’m naked.  Sorry.  Bad joke.  Anyway, anyone want to try to interpret this dream?  Check out his blog and let me know if I need to get some sort of blogo-restraining-order.

Here’s the dream:

Last night, for some reason entirely beyond my cognitive ability to discern, I had a dream about meeting Eugene Cho, the two fisted blogging pastor from somewhere out west where I suspect it rains a lot. I have never had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Cho (Cho Moksanim) except through the blogosphere. So here it is, as best I can recount it.

In the dream, I and Eugene are walking through what appears to be conference center of some kind, but which really looks like a student center on a college campus. As we walk I am explaining to him something about this “event” that we are apparently both a part of and which I am evidently in charge of coordinating. While walking through we pass by a number of rooms in which various student gospel choirs are preparing themselves for a concert. We also passed by one of my current student who I recognized only from the back of his head, as he was busy studying. Then (this is really weird) we passed by Wayne Park, who I have also never met, but who is sitting with his laptop typing something. Eugene greets him, and I am surprised they know each other, but say nothing as I remember that they do indeed know one another. All the time we’re walking, I keep thinking to myself, “Eugene is a lot shorter than I thought he would be,” and “Wow, his hair is really interesting.”

We finally arrive at “the room” where Eugene’s presentation is to take place. It is a very nice room set up amphitheater style with large red very modern sofa type seating arranged in a semi-circle. Eugene comments that it is just like his church, but I am confused because I thought his church met in some other kind of space, but again I say nothing. Of course I’ve never seen his church either. He leaves the room to go get some “equipment,” and I again wonder why he isn’t taller than I thought he would be. My last thought before waking? I really like this room.

And what’s up with the comments about my height and about my beautiful, full, black, curly hair.  Don’t hate what you ain’t.

Filed under: entertainment

1. Eric says:

That picture and that hair = nightmare. 🙂

2. elderj says:

No need for a blog restraining order…. I’m as confused as you are…

3. elderj says:

Oh by the way… I’m in Nashville, not Atlanta.🙂

4. eugenecho says:

elderj: what would be absolutely cool is to be at a point in the future and the dream comes to fruition and we remember this dream.

5. Dennis says:

This is my interpretation. You erred on the brown chairs for Quest and God wants you to repent and buy red chairs. You will go to Nashville and speak at a conference there. You are short and will remain short. Your hair needs to be controlled by the Holy Spirit and it’s time to get a haircut.

But don’t stone me.

6. Wayne Park says:

Dennis; not to be narcissist but where do I fit in your interpretation?

7. g says:

Dreams about blog stars, eh?

Maybe it’s prophetic of a future meeting.

8. Style Quiz says:

I find your hair attractive and stylish, however don’t worry what people think. I like you for who you are!

9. JB says:

Elder J, here’s my shot:

You see Eugene as a partner (you are both leaders in this “conference”). The conference represents an opportunity come together in community to share learning with others (about faith and God). The rooms are full of people preparing and practicing their faith through song and study. So it’s a big association of seekers, and you and EC are in leadership positions.

EC takes you someplace you don’t expect. More modern (the room and furniture) than you expected, yet here you are. And as he leaves for a moment you reflect on how unexpected it is, the room and that EC would lead you here (after all, wouldn’t someone who brought you to someplace significant and unexpected (in your thinking about faith, maybe?) be much taller and have less interesting hair?🙂

BTW Elder J, really enjoyed your 4/26 post on politics.

10. elderj says:

Wow so many interesting interpretations… though I would hesitate to stake my next steps in life and ministry on any one of them. It would be quite fun though to look back on this one day as Eugene mentioned and remember this dream. Who knows what God has in store. Of course, we still haven’t figured out why Wayne Park is there…

11. jessica hong says:

ahem… i believe the quote is:
    “don’t hate me cuz you ain’t me!”😀

12. Wayne Park says:

no, it’s “don’t hate the playa, hate the game” or “don’t hate the game”… wutever.

13. L.L. Barkat says:

Came over from Jesus Creed. LOVE that pic.

Now, about dreams and the blogosphere, I have had at least three people write to me on my blog and share that they dreamed of me. One of my favorites was someone who dreamed I was a redhead teaching her to write (sure I’m a writer, but definitely not a redhead).

What does it mean that you are an inspirer of dreams? Maybe nothing. But maybe something too.

It appears I brought a little Seattle to the NYC. Drizzle fest. 24 hour gathering with a small group of leaders from around the country. Learning. Listening. Asking hard questions. Head exploding. Heart trying to have hope. As I soaked in this breathtaking sunrise this morning above the clouds, I felt compelled to pray for so my places in America and around the world that are experiencing such pain, heartache, injustice, and violence. At times, it feels so overwhelming but in prayer, I was reminded of these words from John 16:33. As we keep striving, working, hoping, preaching, loving, truthtelling, reconciling, repenting, forgiving, dismantling, peacemaking, Kingdom building...may we fix our eyes on Christ: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” - John 16:33 Grateful for a very full weekend of ministry and preaching in Toronto, Canada (GTA). Such a privilege to partner with @worldvisioncan @wvcollective to advocate for the most vulnerable around the world. God is so gracious. A true honor to meet and encourage local pastors, lecture at Tyndale University & Seminary (photo), and preach at Richmond Hills Community Church, Compass Point Bible Church, and New City Church. Thank you, Lord, that you use broken and imperfect people like me to speak of Your love. Today, Minhee and I dropped off our eldest child at her college. We have been thinking and praying about this day for many years. On some days, we hoped it would never come. On other days, we couldn't wait for it to come. On some days, we prayed for time to stop and other days, we prayed with anticipation.

A flood of thoughts rushed my mind.

Is she ready?
Have we done enough?
Have we taught her enough?
What if this? What if that?

And I came home.
And I wept.
Forget my street cred.
I miss her. I love her.
She will always be my little baby.

Happy life. - Eugenius 3:16

I still remember that time, many years ago, when Minhee was pregnant with our first child. She had left her family and friends in Korea just two years before. Her morning sickness was horrible and when she finally had an appetite, she craved her favorite Korean food from certain restaurants in her neighborhood in Seoul, Korea. I had no way of getting that food from those restaurants so I actually said, "How about a Whopper? Big Mac?" Sorry honey. Eat away. You deserve it.

• Wow. Go Huskies. We're. Officially. Back. Go Dawgs. Pac 12 Football. || 16 hours ago
  • It appears I brought a little Seattle to the NYC. Drizzle fest. 24 hour gathering with a small… instagram.com/p/BK_409Ohzr1/ || 22 hours ago
  • Life has its share of pain but don't get down and cynical. Stay engaged. Self-care. Keep learning and growing. Remain hopeful. Be steadfast. || 1 day ago
  • The Gospel, not social justice, is our identity as believers but the Gospel compels us to love God/love people incl. work 4 the common good. || 3 days ago
  • Folks often ask me, "What is social justice?" "Social justice" are fancier words for "Give a Damn". || 3 days ago
  • RT @EugeneCho: Just met Edna, a sister-in-Christ. She's 90 years old. She met Jesus when she was 85. You're never too young or too old to f… || 3 days ago