a big difference in meaning

Two Sundays ago, I made one of those embarrassing slips during a sermon.  Instead of saying, “Jesus came as a ransom for many…”, this slipped out:

“Jesus came as a ransom for money.”

But it’s not as bad as this:

Anyway, share your verbal slips, typos, errors, youtube clips, etc…entertain us!  Here’s the classic original post that will make you laugh.

[original post]

I sat down on my laptop yesterday to write a heartfelt summary to my church pastors and elders about an important meeting I had with a group of leaders from another church.  We have been discussing, praying and dreaming about a few things that I hope to share more of in the months to come. [Quest/Interbay merger]

Anyway, in writing my summary to my fellow leadership at Quest, I detailed what I shared, how I shared, and the conversations I had with the larger group.  In conclusion, I finished my email by saying that I sensed “there was a shift in momentum” but accidentally wrote,

“there was a shit of momentum.”

Needless to say, I got a couple email responses from my peers asking me to explain what I meant by a “shit of momentum?”  One other pastor messaged me,

“Wow, must have been a serious meeting.”

Oh well, it made for a great laugh in a busy week.

Filed under: entertainment

1. chrismarlow says:

LOL, that is hilarious. I thought Driscoll was the so-called “cussing” pastor?

2. David Park says:

very funny. i once sent an email to a person and ended with the following signature:

Best Retards,

Davdi

What I would give to be able to take that back…

3. joel says:

Once I left out an “o” on an email to a college administrator, so my greeting was “Hell, Debbie” !

4. James says:

I did once write in my blog, “God is outsatanding.” It’s great that we can edit our entries. 🙂

5. Mark says:

of all the things i would wish would NOT have momentum that would be it. I was a reporter for a daily newspaper in Southern Oregon before was a Pastor and on occasion had to do the page layouts and write the headlines for a section of the paper. Any way I wrote one that made it through three editors and got to print “Coach hopes for pubic support”

6. eugenecho says:

mark: ok, you win the prize thus far. that’s too funny. i’m curious. how did the public respond?

7. Mark says:

Surprisingly, “Pubic” and “Public” look enough alike that most people didn’t even notice it. But I got quite a few cut out clippings mailed to the sports desk for a couple weeks.

8. guest says:

you can say that’s some holy shit.

9. ConK says:

My favorite story was one I witnessed while listening to a sermon. The preacher was talking about the Pharisees and their love to be noticed and more important. He was about to talk about the phylactories that they wear on their heads and wrists with Scripture stuck in them. Instead of saying phylactories, he said profolactics – stuffed with Scripture verses hanging from their foreheads and wrists. He did not even know what he said. Half the audience couldn’t control themselves and the other half was looking around wondering what happened.

10. SJ says:

i have a friend who runs a record label, and in a publication that went out to 15,000 readers, it announced they were looking for new acts to put on “MakeShit Records” not “MakeShift Records” don’t know that anyone was anxious to join in on that project…

11. Nic says:

That video was hilarious…and to be captured on YouTube for eternity!

12. Jennifer says:

E,

Have you seen the follow-up prank that was pulled on that pastor after the fact?

13. Jennifer says:

E,

Have you seen the follow-up prank that was pulled on that youth pastor? So funny.

It starts slow (review of the tape of what he said ) you can being at min 2:20

14. eugenecho says:

jennifer, i just saw it. hilarious.

15. beattieblog says:

Oh, wow. I just watched the rapture prank by the same folks Jennifer linked to. So mean, but sooo funny.

16. My pastor one time meant to say, “Resurrection Sunday” and it came out “Erection Sunday.”

Yes, it was Easter Sunday he did this.

It created an awkward moment.

17. cheeseholm says:

HA-
    My home church in rural Nevada would frequently team up with other churches in the valley to do community service events. These more than often crossed denominational lines, including (at the begrudging of many) the local Latter Day Saint’s chapel. Well, after on particular event where the Ministerial Association had gathered and borrowed some of the Mormon church’s equipment, a letter thanking the community and recalling how so much brotherhood was exhibited between congregations was written and published in the local newspaper. Unfortunately, there was no proofreading, as the last line said, ” And, we’d like to extend special thanks to the Moron Church.”
    D’oh!

18. Katie says:

I’m dying!!! Seriously, I’m a little afraid that the laughing I just did will send me into pre-term labour. I thought the video was bad enough, but then started reading the comments…ahhh! I have seen pubic instead of public in a newpaper here once – I think the headline was something like: Seniors seek pubic support. What a riot!

"He Makes All Things New." In other words, Christ is our eternal hope. I'm sitting in my swinging bench on the comforts of my front porch after an exhilarating and exhausting day at church. It never gets tiring, stale, or old to preach and proclaim the good news of the Gospel - not just on Resurrection Sunday but every week as we gather as the body of Christ.

But it was this picture of Coptic Christians in Egypt pouring into churches on Easter Sunday that deeply moved my heart...just a week after two churches were bombed by ISIS terrorists taking 45 lives and injuring hundreds.

Even in the face of persecution and suffering, I'm so grateful for the witness of these sisters and brothers in Christ. May they be comforted and strengthened...and wherever you are reading this post, stay encouraged. Be faithful and steadfast. Don't give up. May we keep running the race set before us as we fix our eyes on Christ.

It's not just there. It's all over the world...God is still at work. The Holy Spirit is still moving. God is not yet done. There's only one explanation:
Christ has risen! He has risen, indeed! Jesus is alive! Hallelujah! #OneChurch Remember, there is no Resurrection without the Crucifixion; No Easter Sunday without Passion Friday; No empty tomb without the Cross.

So, before we move too swiftly to the celebration of the risen Christ, may we sit at the foot of the Cross...and consider the depths of His sacrifice and love. "Oh, what love is this..." Just when we think we get what it means to follow Him, Jesus washes the feet of His disciples including...the one He knew would betray Him,

and the one that would deny him,

and the others that would abandon Him in His greatest need.

What amazing love.
What amazing grace. Oh. What. Amazing. Grace. M(inhee) + E(ugene). Not taking anything for granted. 20 years = 7300 days = 175,200 hours. A flourishing  marriage doesn't just happen. The idea that two Christians who choose to get married will produce a Christ honoring marriage is a gigantic myth. Its also extremely dangerous. The truth is that it takes so much intentionality and work. Intimacy definitely includes physical touch but is not only about physical touch. We have to pray, read, listen, learn, mutually submit, confess, forgive, repent, laugh, dream, rest, play, and the list goes on.

In other words, we have to keep Christ at the center because it's inevitable, there's a lot of messing up. So much messing up. It's both beautiful and painful and without grace, it's impossible.

Grateful. Thank you, Jesus, for your grace. And thank you, Minhee...

• Take heart. Press on. Be encouraged. Christ is still risen. || 1 day ago
  • It's not Easter. Crowds may be smaller. But may we preach the Gospel w/ deep conviction; That we truly believe that the tomb is still empty. || 1 day ago
  • Looking for a church in Seattle? Join us tomorrow to hear a word from this woman of God. The tomb is still empty! twitter.com/LizVerHage/sta… || 1 day ago
  • The degradation of our environment impacts all but the reality is that poor communities suffer most...perpetuating the injustice of poverty. || 1 day ago
  • Caring for God's creation should always be part of our stewardship. In other words, it's not optional but an essential part of discipleship. || 1 day ago
  • Fantastic @CTmagazine piece about @gailsongbantum, Executive Pastor @SeattleQuest. Inspired by her story/leadership: christianitytoday.com/women-leaders/… || 3 days ago