a big difference in meaning

Two Sundays ago, I made one of those embarrassing slips during a sermon.  Instead of saying, “Jesus came as a ransom for many…”, this slipped out:

“Jesus came as a ransom for money.”

But it’s not as bad as this:

Anyway, share your verbal slips, typos, errors, youtube clips, etc…entertain us!  Here’s the classic original post that will make you laugh.

[original post]

I sat down on my laptop yesterday to write a heartfelt summary to my church pastors and elders about an important meeting I had with a group of leaders from another church.  We have been discussing, praying and dreaming about a few things that I hope to share more of in the months to come. [Quest/Interbay merger]

Anyway, in writing my summary to my fellow leadership at Quest, I detailed what I shared, how I shared, and the conversations I had with the larger group.  In conclusion, I finished my email by saying that I sensed “there was a shift in momentum” but accidentally wrote,

“there was a shit of momentum.”

Needless to say, I got a couple email responses from my peers asking me to explain what I meant by a “shit of momentum?”  One other pastor messaged me,

“Wow, must have been a serious meeting.”

Oh well, it made for a great laugh in a busy week.

Filed under: entertainment

1. chrismarlow says:

LOL, that is hilarious. I thought Driscoll was the so-called “cussing” pastor?

2. David Park says:

very funny. i once sent an email to a person and ended with the following signature:

Best Retards,

Davdi

What I would give to be able to take that back…

3. joel says:

Once I left out an “o” on an email to a college administrator, so my greeting was “Hell, Debbie” !

4. James says:

I did once write in my blog, “God is outsatanding.” It’s great that we can edit our entries. 🙂

5. Mark says:

of all the things i would wish would NOT have momentum that would be it. I was a reporter for a daily newspaper in Southern Oregon before was a Pastor and on occasion had to do the page layouts and write the headlines for a section of the paper. Any way I wrote one that made it through three editors and got to print “Coach hopes for pubic support”

6. eugenecho says:

mark: ok, you win the prize thus far. that’s too funny. i’m curious. how did the public respond?

7. Mark says:

Surprisingly, “Pubic” and “Public” look enough alike that most people didn’t even notice it. But I got quite a few cut out clippings mailed to the sports desk for a couple weeks.

8. guest says:

you can say that’s some holy shit.

9. ConK says:

My favorite story was one I witnessed while listening to a sermon. The preacher was talking about the Pharisees and their love to be noticed and more important. He was about to talk about the phylactories that they wear on their heads and wrists with Scripture stuck in them. Instead of saying phylactories, he said profolactics – stuffed with Scripture verses hanging from their foreheads and wrists. He did not even know what he said. Half the audience couldn’t control themselves and the other half was looking around wondering what happened.

10. SJ says:

i have a friend who runs a record label, and in a publication that went out to 15,000 readers, it announced they were looking for new acts to put on “MakeShit Records” not “MakeShift Records” don’t know that anyone was anxious to join in on that project…

11. Nic says:

That video was hilarious…and to be captured on YouTube for eternity!

12. Jennifer says:

E,

Have you seen the follow-up prank that was pulled on that pastor after the fact?

13. Jennifer says:

E,

Have you seen the follow-up prank that was pulled on that youth pastor? So funny.

It starts slow (review of the tape of what he said ) you can being at min 2:20

14. eugenecho says:

jennifer, i just saw it. hilarious.

15. beattieblog says:

Oh, wow. I just watched the rapture prank by the same folks Jennifer linked to. So mean, but sooo funny.

16. My pastor one time meant to say, “Resurrection Sunday” and it came out “Erection Sunday.”

Yes, it was Easter Sunday he did this.

It created an awkward moment.

17. cheeseholm says:

HA-
    My home church in rural Nevada would frequently team up with other churches in the valley to do community service events. These more than often crossed denominational lines, including (at the begrudging of many) the local Latter Day Saint’s chapel. Well, after on particular event where the Ministerial Association had gathered and borrowed some of the Mormon church’s equipment, a letter thanking the community and recalling how so much brotherhood was exhibited between congregations was written and published in the local newspaper. Unfortunately, there was no proofreading, as the last line said, ” And, we’d like to extend special thanks to the Moron Church.”
    D’oh!

18. Katie says:

I’m dying!!! Seriously, I’m a little afraid that the laughing I just did will send me into pre-term labour. I thought the video was bad enough, but then started reading the comments…ahhh! I have seen pubic instead of public in a newpaper here once – I think the headline was something like: Seniors seek pubic support. What a riot!

Junior high - Check
14th birthday - Check
Tallest in family - Check
Selfie Master - Check

Still my baby son! This was 10 years ago. I dominated my son in wrestling and I know what you're thinking, "How could you employ a rear chokehold armbar kimura on your own son?" Hey, a competition is a competition.

I love you, son. The world is broken. This ia a sad truth. But the story of redemption is not yet finished. God is not yet done. This is the ultimate Truth. Have hope. Press on. Ten years ago, I witnessed one of those "God things" when a church called Interbay Covenant Church gave itself, its legacy, and a building property worth $7 million dollars to @seattlequest. We were then only 5 years old.

Quest is an urban, multiethnic churchplant that started in 2001. We rented the facilities at Interbay Covenant Church - a predominantly older, mostly Anglo congregation with a rich 65 years history. After some time, Pastor Ray Bartel (senior pastor, Interbay) approached me with a "crazy idea" of Interbay "dying to itself and giving itself to Quest" for the sake of the greater Kingdom and the coming generations.

This eventually led to three years of many conversations and prayers. On June 3, 2007, the two churches officially came together to become one church. In giving itself, Interbay also shared their leadership, legacy, and stories. They also gave all of their assets without any strings and without any debt.

Their radical generosity and courage is what enabled Quest to grow - not just numerically - but deeper in discipleship, and deeper in missions - to the city of Seattle and beyond. On the occasion of the 10th anniversary of this merger, we created a short film (check my FB page to see the video) to tell the story - so that our church and the next generations may never forget and that the larger Church may be stirred and encouraged by a greater Kingdom vision.

Thank you, Interbay! The NBA season is over but the hustle and grind continues for my daughter. We argue sometimes but I love training my daughter. She's working hard for her senior year next year. Starting point guard. She's improved a lot. She's one of the quickest players on the floor and has a great midrange jumper. But trying to get her to keep working on her handles, using her off hand and shoulder to protect the ball,  staying and dribbling the ball lower to the ground, and playing aggressive and downhill while remaining in control. That's what we're working on this week. #hoopdreams #ChovarBall Reunited with my favorite elephant, Buh'loom. We bonded earlier this year and I'd like to think that she recognized my voice. Also, appreciate learning about ethical and sustainable eco-tourism.