a big difference in meaning

Two Sundays ago, I made one of those embarrassing slips during a sermon.  Instead of saying, “Jesus came as a ransom for many…”, this slipped out:

“Jesus came as a ransom for money.”

But it’s not as bad as this:

Anyway, share your verbal slips, typos, errors, youtube clips, etc…entertain us!  Here’s the classic original post that will make you laugh.

[original post]

I sat down on my laptop yesterday to write a heartfelt summary to my church pastors and elders about an important meeting I had with a group of leaders from another church.  We have been discussing, praying and dreaming about a few things that I hope to share more of in the months to come. [Quest/Interbay merger]

Anyway, in writing my summary to my fellow leadership at Quest, I detailed what I shared, how I shared, and the conversations I had with the larger group.  In conclusion, I finished my email by saying that I sensed “there was a shift in momentum” but accidentally wrote,

“there was a shit of momentum.”

Needless to say, I got a couple email responses from my peers asking me to explain what I meant by a “shit of momentum?”  One other pastor messaged me,

“Wow, must have been a serious meeting.”

Oh well, it made for a great laugh in a busy week.

Filed under: entertainment

1. chrismarlow says:

LOL, that is hilarious. I thought Driscoll was the so-called “cussing” pastor?

2. David Park says:

very funny. i once sent an email to a person and ended with the following signature:

Best Retards,

Davdi

What I would give to be able to take that back…

3. joel says:

Once I left out an “o” on an email to a college administrator, so my greeting was “Hell, Debbie” !

4. James says:

I did once write in my blog, “God is outsatanding.” It’s great that we can edit our entries. 🙂

5. Mark says:

of all the things i would wish would NOT have momentum that would be it. I was a reporter for a daily newspaper in Southern Oregon before was a Pastor and on occasion had to do the page layouts and write the headlines for a section of the paper. Any way I wrote one that made it through three editors and got to print “Coach hopes for pubic support”

6. eugenecho says:

mark: ok, you win the prize thus far. that’s too funny. i’m curious. how did the public respond?

7. Mark says:

Surprisingly, “Pubic” and “Public” look enough alike that most people didn’t even notice it. But I got quite a few cut out clippings mailed to the sports desk for a couple weeks.

8. guest says:

you can say that’s some holy shit.

9. ConK says:

My favorite story was one I witnessed while listening to a sermon. The preacher was talking about the Pharisees and their love to be noticed and more important. He was about to talk about the phylactories that they wear on their heads and wrists with Scripture stuck in them. Instead of saying phylactories, he said profolactics – stuffed with Scripture verses hanging from their foreheads and wrists. He did not even know what he said. Half the audience couldn’t control themselves and the other half was looking around wondering what happened.

10. SJ says:

i have a friend who runs a record label, and in a publication that went out to 15,000 readers, it announced they were looking for new acts to put on “MakeShit Records” not “MakeShift Records” don’t know that anyone was anxious to join in on that project…

11. Nic says:

That video was hilarious…and to be captured on YouTube for eternity!

12. Jennifer says:

E,

Have you seen the follow-up prank that was pulled on that pastor after the fact?

13. Jennifer says:

E,

Have you seen the follow-up prank that was pulled on that youth pastor? So funny.

It starts slow (review of the tape of what he said ) you can being at min 2:20

14. eugenecho says:

jennifer, i just saw it. hilarious.

15. beattieblog says:

Oh, wow. I just watched the rapture prank by the same folks Jennifer linked to. So mean, but sooo funny.

16. My pastor one time meant to say, “Resurrection Sunday” and it came out “Erection Sunday.”

Yes, it was Easter Sunday he did this.

It created an awkward moment.

17. cheeseholm says:

HA-
    My home church in rural Nevada would frequently team up with other churches in the valley to do community service events. These more than often crossed denominational lines, including (at the begrudging of many) the local Latter Day Saint’s chapel. Well, after on particular event where the Ministerial Association had gathered and borrowed some of the Mormon church’s equipment, a letter thanking the community and recalling how so much brotherhood was exhibited between congregations was written and published in the local newspaper. Unfortunately, there was no proofreading, as the last line said, ” And, we’d like to extend special thanks to the Moron Church.”
    D’oh!

18. Katie says:

I’m dying!!! Seriously, I’m a little afraid that the laughing I just did will send me into pre-term labour. I thought the video was bad enough, but then started reading the comments…ahhh! I have seen pubic instead of public in a newpaper here once – I think the headline was something like: Seniors seek pubic support. What a riot!

You can do it, sun. Break through the clouds. I love her. Saturday morning date at Pike Market with @minheejcho. Enjoying the final day of sun before 6 months of rain and gray. Not lol'ing. Some of my moat memorable travels have been to Myanmar (otherwise known as Burma). In fact, the vision of @onedayswages began on my first visit to this country in 2006. On a recent visit, I began learning about the Rohingya people. Sadly, it has escalated to horrendous, genocidal proportions.

Thus far, about 500,000 people have been driven out from Myanmar through violence...with most going to Bangledesh...regulated to a massive refugee camp. Stateless. Undocumented. Minority groups. Dehumanized. Homes and villages destroyed. And so much more unspeakable atrocities.

Yes, it's complex and messy. It always is. But the root of this injustice as the case for so much brokeness in the world is the sin of dehumanizing one anotber as..."the other." May we see each person, including the Rohingya people, as one who is created in the image of God. It's the truth and the remedy to the incessant dehumanization that goes on in our world.

Lord, in your mercy. The obedience of discipleship which includes the work of justice is a marathon. It's long, arduous, and emotional. Be tenacious. But also take care of yourself. Create healthy rhythms. Don't burn out. We need you for the marathon. Friends, don't give up. Press on. In the midst of so much chaos in the world, may we continue to cling to the hope of the whole Gospel. May we cling unto Jesus:

Way maker!
Miracle worker!
Promise keeper!
Light in the darkness!
That is who You are!

What an encounter with the Holy Spirit at @seattlequest today. Grateful for our worship team, the gospel choir, and the Audio/Visual team. Thank you Matt, Teresita, and Chris. Please thank all the volunteers for us. .
The world is broken.
But God is not yet done.
God's work of restoration