a big difference in meaning

Two Sundays ago, I made one of those embarrassing slips during a sermon.  Instead of saying, “Jesus came as a ransom for many…”, this slipped out:

“Jesus came as a ransom for money.”

But it’s not as bad as this:

Anyway, share your verbal slips, typos, errors, youtube clips, etc…entertain us!  Here’s the classic original post that will make you laugh.

[original post]

I sat down on my laptop yesterday to write a heartfelt summary to my church pastors and elders about an important meeting I had with a group of leaders from another church.  We have been discussing, praying and dreaming about a few things that I hope to share more of in the months to come. [Quest/Interbay merger]

Anyway, in writing my summary to my fellow leadership at Quest, I detailed what I shared, how I shared, and the conversations I had with the larger group.  In conclusion, I finished my email by saying that I sensed “there was a shift in momentum” but accidentally wrote,

“there was a shit of momentum.”

Needless to say, I got a couple email responses from my peers asking me to explain what I meant by a “shit of momentum?”  One other pastor messaged me,

“Wow, must have been a serious meeting.”

Oh well, it made for a great laugh in a busy week.

Filed under: entertainment

1. chrismarlow says:

LOL, that is hilarious. I thought Driscoll was the so-called “cussing” pastor?

2. David Park says:

very funny. i once sent an email to a person and ended with the following signature:

Best Retards,

Davdi

What I would give to be able to take that back…

3. joel says:

Once I left out an “o” on an email to a college administrator, so my greeting was “Hell, Debbie” !

4. James says:

I did once write in my blog, “God is outsatanding.” It’s great that we can edit our entries. 🙂

5. Mark says:

of all the things i would wish would NOT have momentum that would be it. I was a reporter for a daily newspaper in Southern Oregon before was a Pastor and on occasion had to do the page layouts and write the headlines for a section of the paper. Any way I wrote one that made it through three editors and got to print “Coach hopes for pubic support”

6. eugenecho says:

mark: ok, you win the prize thus far. that’s too funny. i’m curious. how did the public respond?

7. Mark says:

Surprisingly, “Pubic” and “Public” look enough alike that most people didn’t even notice it. But I got quite a few cut out clippings mailed to the sports desk for a couple weeks.

8. guest says:

you can say that’s some holy shit.

9. ConK says:

My favorite story was one I witnessed while listening to a sermon. The preacher was talking about the Pharisees and their love to be noticed and more important. He was about to talk about the phylactories that they wear on their heads and wrists with Scripture stuck in them. Instead of saying phylactories, he said profolactics – stuffed with Scripture verses hanging from their foreheads and wrists. He did not even know what he said. Half the audience couldn’t control themselves and the other half was looking around wondering what happened.

10. SJ says:

i have a friend who runs a record label, and in a publication that went out to 15,000 readers, it announced they were looking for new acts to put on “MakeShit Records” not “MakeShift Records” don’t know that anyone was anxious to join in on that project…

11. Nic says:

That video was hilarious…and to be captured on YouTube for eternity!

12. Jennifer says:

E,

Have you seen the follow-up prank that was pulled on that pastor after the fact?

13. Jennifer says:

E,

Have you seen the follow-up prank that was pulled on that youth pastor? So funny.

It starts slow (review of the tape of what he said ) you can being at min 2:20

14. eugenecho says:

jennifer, i just saw it. hilarious.

15. beattieblog says:

Oh, wow. I just watched the rapture prank by the same folks Jennifer linked to. So mean, but sooo funny.

16. My pastor one time meant to say, “Resurrection Sunday” and it came out “Erection Sunday.”

Yes, it was Easter Sunday he did this.

It created an awkward moment.

17. cheeseholm says:

HA-
    My home church in rural Nevada would frequently team up with other churches in the valley to do community service events. These more than often crossed denominational lines, including (at the begrudging of many) the local Latter Day Saint’s chapel. Well, after on particular event where the Ministerial Association had gathered and borrowed some of the Mormon church’s equipment, a letter thanking the community and recalling how so much brotherhood was exhibited between congregations was written and published in the local newspaper. Unfortunately, there was no proofreading, as the last line said, ” And, we’d like to extend special thanks to the Moron Church.”
    D’oh!

18. Katie says:

I’m dying!!! Seriously, I’m a little afraid that the laughing I just did will send me into pre-term labour. I thought the video was bad enough, but then started reading the comments…ahhh! I have seen pubic instead of public in a newpaper here once – I think the headline was something like: Seniors seek pubic support. What a riot!

Everyone loves the idea of  reconciliation...until it involves truthtelling, confessing, repenting, dismantling, forgiving, and peacemaking. Charlottesville. So heartbreaking and infuriating. We weep and mourn over the hatred in the hearts of these white nationalists. We weep and mourn but we can't be defeated.

As I stare at this photo that's making its round on the internet, I'm reminded of the utter importance of showing up. I'm grateful for the news media, law enforcement, clergy, and peaceful protesters that are currently there to report, protect, pray, and protest.

And this is an invitation to us. May we not be mere bystanders. May we keep pressing forward. Seek justice. Love mercy. Walk humbly. Commit to truth-telling, justice, reconciliation, peacemaking. Follow the ways of Christ. Every day. And it's important to note that we don't have to go to Charlottesville to do this. In fact, it's more important that we do this exactly where we're at. May we live out the call to reconciliation in our churches, workplaces, neighborhoods, schools, and around our dining tables. Lord, may it be so... We don't have to go to Charlottesville to do this. We have to do this wherever were called to be.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” ~ Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. /// Thanks to those who let me know that the photo wasn't actually from today but rather from last month in Charlottesville. - https://www.facebook.com/FrankSomervilleKTVU/posts/1551137301616258:0 Grateful for a spontaneous, last minute trip with Minhee to my old stomping grounds - San Francisco. 48 hours of visiting this special city that I called home for so many years.

Pic 1: Went to the Cliff House restaurant where we got engaged about 21 years ago to make out. Oops, sorry, I meant...to reflect on God's faithfulness over these many years.

Pic 2: Walked across the Golden Gate Bridge because it's such an iconic place - with some of the most incredible views.

Pic 3: Enjoyed a glass of some Cabernet Sauvignon and pretended to be wine connoisseurs at a vineyard.

Pic 4: Had lunch at my favorite Chinese restaurant, Sam Tung, which boasts some of the best chicken in the country. And of course, we ate at In-n-out.

Pic 5: And finally, celebrated with the good folks at @thefreedomstory where @onedayswages received their annual Freedom Award. What an honor.

Grateful. Thankful for this sabbatical. Breathe.

Show yourself some grace.

We can't do everything for everyone in every situation. Do what you can and do it with a joyful heart.

Amen A family that eats sushi together stays together.

Seriously, I don't ever remember eating so much as a teenager but these kids eat and eat and eat. Perhaps, the reason why this kid is pushing 6 feet tall. Grateful for a special treat with the family at @JaponessaSeattle. I'm sharing an obligatory, "I love and appreciate my wife, she's amazing" photo. Also...because I did something naughty...or brilliant. ;) Seattle is in the midst of a crazy heatwave. Near 100 degrees, hazy, and humid. An excessive heat advisory warning has also been issued.

So, Minhee and I needed to run some errands. It waa horrible but sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do. It's also known as adulting.

So, I'm driving and the air conditioning seems to have minimal effect. Minhee is in the passenger's seat and umm, when she's not paying attention, I turn on her seat heater to 5 - the highest level. All along, she's complaining about how hot she is...for nearly an hour...until she finally realizes what I did.

Bam. Boom. Gotcha.

Minhee, I love you!

• RT @mrmedina: When Bryan Stevenson speaks, we do well to listen. https://t.co/o5GJD0KWR2 || 12 hours ago
  • "Mourn with those who mourn." Lifting up the people of Sierra Leone in prayers. Hundreds dead and many more missing… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 14 hours ago
  • Dear Barcelona: We are so sorry. We mourn the violence and tragedy in your beautiful city. We pray for healing and yearn for peace. Amen. || 1 day ago
  • Love wins in the end but meanwhile, it fights for things that matter. Love isn't sentimental. It's both gentle & fierce. Seek God's Kingdom. || 2 days ago
  • In response to racism, folks often say, "It's a sin issue." Yes...but don't be naive. Sin creates sinful systems: youtube.com/watch?v=LEbUa0… || 3 days ago
  • Everyone loves the idea of reconciliation...until it involves truthtelling, confessing, repenting, dismantling, forgiving, and peacemaking. || 5 days ago