at the end of the world

I am so envious. Even as I write this entry, this couple is traveling to the ends of the earth.  But tomorrow, I get to go to…Tacoma, Washington.  Holla.

In light of yesterday’s intense post and conversation, here’s a simple question and hopefully, many folks, including the “quiet” blog readers will chime in:

If you could travel to any TWO places in the world, where would you go.  [And sorry for this late edit]…a short sentence to explain “Why.”

Be specific and remember, only two places.  Why two?  Because it’ll make you think.

The picture above:  Patagonia [Chile].

Filed under: travel

1. Randall says:

England
    Japan
    (does it have to be places in the world? because I’d love to see Mars)

2. sholander says:

Iceland
    New Zealand
    (two is really hard: especially in South Georgia during pollen season…)

3. jason says:

Brand new to this blog, good read, though i tend to stay away from heavily commented comment section…just too much for me to sift through…I do have some thoughts…maybe I should just send them through email…sure you get enough of those eh?…I would go first to scotland…second I would go to Alaska

4. Janet says:

Let me think here. Picking just two is really really tough.

New Zealand
    Kenya

5. Tyler says:

bora bora and western europe.

6. Brad says:

Greece and Israel.

This is too easy… a trick question, maybe?

7. Kacie says:

Indonesia (because it’s home but I never get to go there, and I never tire of it)
    Switzerland (lifelong dream… the Alps… European culture…. *sigh*)

8. Dan W says:

Australia
    Ireland

But, alas, I too get to travel across the bridge to lovely Tacoma tomorrow. Ah, well. At least the company will be good.

9. Rachael says:

Chile
    Jerusalem

10. Ben says:

Kŭmgangsan mtns – North Korea

Jerusalem – Israel

11. leahklug says:

mae sot, thailand
    cape town, south africa

12. Capt Ralph says:

Be careful what you wish for: Marilyn and I lived in Anchorage, Alaska for 5 years in the 1970s. A local radio station had a prize for a contest – anywhere Alaska Airlines flew. The excited winner immediately shouted “Fairbanks!” heheheh

13. Teresa says:

Alaska ’cause my husband’s going to be there. Thailand because a lot of people I love and work with are there.

14. eugenecho says:

No trick questions here.

Every couple weeks, I’d like to host an entry like this because it gives us a little more glimpse into a person and I’m excited to see a community – of sorts – forming via this blog.

My two answers:

North Korea – because my parents were born there as well as learning how I can be an advocate for the poverty and oppression in that country.

Phuket, Thailand, – really…any isolated, quiet, and warm beach. Please let me know if you own one.

15. Kacie says:

Jack Danger Canty… Jakarta??? I mean, Indonesia is on my list, but I’m totally shocked to see Jakarta on yours. I’d love to hear your reasons!

16. Jake says:

The Vatican
    Ayers Rock

I’ve always wanted to moon the pope and Ayers Rock seems like the best place to make a quick getaway before that pesky Swiss Army gets their hands on me.

17. Nason says:

Cuba, maybe it’s the rebel in me, but I hear it is amazing to see all of the mint-condition cars.

China, because I would like to go somewhere where things are much different than what I am used to seeing.

18. Capt Ralph says:

ok – cuba and antarctica

cigars and penguins

19. Rose says:

An Island in Southeast Thailand – Koh Phangan
    Italy – travel all through the country

20. Joe says:

Zanzabar… because I hear its way more beautiful then any thai beach that i’ve been too..
    Italy… because i love food and espresso…

21. ryanbd says:

Ireland – back to my roots; my wife went without me 😦
    Trunk Bay, St. John – http://www.stjohnbeachguide.com/Trunk%20Bay%20Overlook.htm

I was there on my honeymoon. It’s my happy place – and it may be that my whole life is geared towards getting back there. Or I’ve been watching too much LOST. But I’m gonna get back there…

22. ryanbd says:

I like Capt. Ralph’s – all I can think of is penguins smoking cigars. I’ll fly to see that.

23. queltica says:

Ecuador – haven’t been back since we moved to the U.S. when I was ten

The Highlands and Islands of Scotland – wild, beautiful, music, Gaelic

Ok- the second choice will change for me daily… only two, in this whole amazing planet? – that’s a tough list!

24. chad says:

Scotland – apparently i my family is (partly) from there

Italy – so much history

25. Linda says:

Hong Kong – see where my parents came from/back to my roots

Baghdad – to be completely out of my element, and get some perspective

It. Still. Hurts.
#TamirRice Incredible news: @onedayswages is projecting to have our most impactful year as we grant out $1.3 million dollars! Thank you so much for your prayers and support...please read on to learn how you can join in our work.

As you gather with family, friends, and loved ones for Thanksgiving and the holidays, I wanted to share an opportunity. Often times, when I speak to people about the privilege of generosity, I remind them, "You don't have to but you get to." It's so true.

My wife and I (and our three kids) started ODW in 2009. We felt the Holy Spirit convicting us to give up our year's salary. It wasn't an easy thing to say "Yes" or "Amen" to but we made the decision to obey. As a result, it took us about three years to save, simplify, and sell off things we didn't need.

It's been an incredible journey as we've learned so much about the heart of God and God's love for the hurting and vulnerable around the world - particularly those living in extreme poverty. ODW is a small, scrappy, grassroots organization (with just 3 full-time employees) but since our launch, we've raised nearly $6 million dollars to help those living in extreme poverty: clean water and sanitation, education, maternal health, human trafficking, refugee crisis, hunger, and the list goes on and on.

So, here's my humble ask: As we do this work, would you consider making a pledge to support our work...so that we can keep doing this work with integrity and excellence?
You can make a one time gift or make monthly pledge of just $25 (or more). Thanks so much for considering this: http://onedayswages.org/give (link in bio, too) Don't just count your blessings. Bless others with your blessings. Here, there, everywhere. Be a blessing for this blesses our Father in Heaven and builds the Kingdom of God.

#ReThinkRegugees #WeWelcomeRefugees
@onedayswages Grateful. Still reflecting on the letters that I've received from classmates and students that have come before me and after me. Never imagined all that God would have in store for me. Lots of humbling things but in the midst of them, there were literally thousands upon thousands of daily decisions and choices to be faithful. That's what matters. Seen or unseen. Noticed or unnoticed. You do your best and sometimes you stumble and fumble along but nevertheless, seeking to be faithful.

Also, you know you're getting old when your school honors you with a Distinguished Alumni Award. Lol. 47 is the new 27. Or something like that. Here's to the next 47. In our culture, we can be so obsessed with the "spectacular" or "glamorous." The Church often engagws in thia language and paradigm...but what if God has called many of us to small, ordinary things?

Will we still be faithful?
Will we still go about such things with great love and joy?

I recently came across this picture taken by @mattylew, one of our church staff...and I started tearing up: This is my mother; in her 70s; with realities of some disabilities that make it difficult for her to stand up and sit down...but here she is on her knees and prostate in prayer. She doesn't have any social media accounts, barely knows how to use her smartphone, doesn't have a platform, hasn't written a book, doesn't have any titles in our church, isn't listed as a leader or an expert or a consultant or a guru. But she simply seeks to do her best - by God's grace - to be faithful to God. She prays for hours every day inteceding for our family, our church, and the larger world.

Even if we're not noticed or celebrated or elevated...let's be faithful. Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant. And not even successful in the eyes of the world.

Be faithful. Amen. #notetoself (and maybe helpful for someone else)

At times, we have to say ‘NO’ to good things to say ‘YES’ to the most important things.

We can't do it all.