at the end of the world

I am so envious. Even as I write this entry, this couple is traveling to the ends of the earth.  But tomorrow, I get to go to…Tacoma, Washington.  Holla.

In light of yesterday’s intense post and conversation, here’s a simple question and hopefully, many folks, including the “quiet” blog readers will chime in:

If you could travel to any TWO places in the world, where would you go.  [And sorry for this late edit]…a short sentence to explain “Why.”

Be specific and remember, only two places.  Why two?  Because it’ll make you think.

The picture above:  Patagonia [Chile].

Filed under: travel

1. Randall says:

England
    Japan
    (does it have to be places in the world? because I’d love to see Mars)

2. sholander says:

Iceland
    New Zealand
    (two is really hard: especially in South Georgia during pollen season…)

3. jason says:

Brand new to this blog, good read, though i tend to stay away from heavily commented comment section…just too much for me to sift through…I do have some thoughts…maybe I should just send them through email…sure you get enough of those eh?…I would go first to scotland…second I would go to Alaska

4. Janet says:

Let me think here. Picking just two is really really tough.

New Zealand
    Kenya

5. Tyler says:

bora bora and western europe.

6. Brad says:

Greece and Israel.

This is too easy… a trick question, maybe?

7. Kacie says:

Indonesia (because it’s home but I never get to go there, and I never tire of it)
    Switzerland (lifelong dream… the Alps… European culture…. *sigh*)

8. Dan W says:

Australia
    Ireland

But, alas, I too get to travel across the bridge to lovely Tacoma tomorrow. Ah, well. At least the company will be good.

9. Rachael says:

Chile
    Jerusalem

10. Ben says:

Kŭmgangsan mtns – North Korea

Jerusalem – Israel

11. leahklug says:

mae sot, thailand
    cape town, south africa

12. Capt Ralph says:

Be careful what you wish for: Marilyn and I lived in Anchorage, Alaska for 5 years in the 1970s. A local radio station had a prize for a contest – anywhere Alaska Airlines flew. The excited winner immediately shouted “Fairbanks!” heheheh

13. Teresa says:

Alaska ’cause my husband’s going to be there. Thailand because a lot of people I love and work with are there.

14. eugenecho says:

No trick questions here.

Every couple weeks, I’d like to host an entry like this because it gives us a little more glimpse into a person and I’m excited to see a community – of sorts – forming via this blog.

My two answers:

North Korea – because my parents were born there as well as learning how I can be an advocate for the poverty and oppression in that country.

Phuket, Thailand, – really…any isolated, quiet, and warm beach. Please let me know if you own one.

15. Kacie says:

Jack Danger Canty… Jakarta??? I mean, Indonesia is on my list, but I’m totally shocked to see Jakarta on yours. I’d love to hear your reasons!

16. Jake says:

The Vatican
    Ayers Rock

I’ve always wanted to moon the pope and Ayers Rock seems like the best place to make a quick getaway before that pesky Swiss Army gets their hands on me.

17. Nason says:

Cuba, maybe it’s the rebel in me, but I hear it is amazing to see all of the mint-condition cars.

China, because I would like to go somewhere where things are much different than what I am used to seeing.

18. Capt Ralph says:

ok – cuba and antarctica

cigars and penguins

19. Rose says:

An Island in Southeast Thailand – Koh Phangan
    Italy – travel all through the country

20. Joe says:

Zanzabar… because I hear its way more beautiful then any thai beach that i’ve been too..
    Italy… because i love food and espresso…

21. ryanbd says:

Ireland – back to my roots; my wife went without me 😦
    Trunk Bay, St. John – http://www.stjohnbeachguide.com/Trunk%20Bay%20Overlook.htm

I was there on my honeymoon. It’s my happy place – and it may be that my whole life is geared towards getting back there. Or I’ve been watching too much LOST. But I’m gonna get back there…

22. ryanbd says:

I like Capt. Ralph’s – all I can think of is penguins smoking cigars. I’ll fly to see that.

23. queltica says:

Ecuador – haven’t been back since we moved to the U.S. when I was ten

The Highlands and Islands of Scotland – wild, beautiful, music, Gaelic

Ok- the second choice will change for me daily… only two, in this whole amazing planet? – that’s a tough list!

24. chad says:

Scotland – apparently i my family is (partly) from there

Italy – so much history

25. Linda says:

Hong Kong – see where my parents came from/back to my roots

Baghdad – to be completely out of my element, and get some perspective

Window seat. For the win. As leaders, we must not see ministry and family as competing commitments.  We must not sacrifice our marriage and kids for the sake of "ministry." How can we? Loving our families IS ministry & good leadership.

And on a side note, we took this goofy photo for Mother's Day last Sunday at @seattlequest. I was shocked! What in the world happened to our kids? Our 13 year old son blocked four of my shots on the basketball court yesterday. He's since been grounded... I fear that we ask God to move mountains, forgetting that God also wants to move us.

In fact, it's possible that we are that mountain. Time flies. The eldest is wrapping up her 1st year in college and the college tours have begun for the 2nd child. The youngest enters high school in the Fall. Can't say enough about how proud Minhee and I are of the kids - not just of their accomplishments but the people they are and are becoming.

But...man...we can't wait to party it up when we're emptynesters. Party at our house. It's going to be epic. Humbled. Grateful. Mindful of God's grace and faithfulness in my life. It's all grace... It's an unexpected honor to be invited back - even with some mini-drama - to @princetonseminary to receive the 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award - exactly 25 years after starting my journey there as a student in 1992. Wow.

Princeton isn't necessarily for everyone. And to say that I loved everything about my experience would be misleading but it was very formative. Ir challenged me to examine why I believed in what I believed. It reminded me that God could handle my questions. It prepared me for a post-Christian context where I am not entitled to be heard but I had to earn the right to be heard, and of course, it taught me that all is good with a Philly cheese steak at Hoagie Haven.

No one is an island to themselves and I am certainly an example of that. Many people - women and men, young and old, and of many backgrounds - prayed, encouraged, mentored, and loved me along the way. Grateful for my professors at seminary, my many classmates, and the numerous fellow staff and co-laborers I've had the privilege of serving Christ with past and present. And of course, I'm forever inspired by my parents, my children, and my wife, Minhee. Thank you for your faith, hope, and love...and oh, for your patience. Only your family will know and see both the best and worst of you. They've seen my worst...and keep on believing in me.

Thank you again, PTS and President Barnes, for this honor. Then, today, and tomorrow...by God's grace, just striving to be faithful to my Lord and Savior...to preach and live out the convictions of the whole Gospel. Amen. So humbled and grateful to be with @catalystleader in Cincinnati to encourage leaders from all around the country about the invitation to Uncommon Fellowship.

Preached from John 4. We can talk, preach, sing, philsophize, liturgize, and spit rhymes about Samaria...but we still have to talk through Samaria.

• "They got money for wars but can't feed the poor." ~ Tupac #trumpbudget || 18 hours ago
  • Heartbroken. Praying for Manchester & the UK. For those mourning loved ones. For those injured and fighting for life. Lord, in your mercy. || 2 days ago
  • Window seat. For the win. https://t.co/yG66Sm2bvu || 4 days ago
  • As leaders, we must not sacrifice our family for the sake of ministry because loving our family IS good leadership: instagram.com/p/BUVAGVwg-5z/ || 4 days ago
  • We long for a Gospel that comforts but resist the Gospel that disrupts. Having the former without the latter seduces us into complacency. || 4 days ago
  • Love wins in the end but in the meanwhile,it fights for things that matter. Love isn't sentimental. It's both gentle & fierce. Love endures. || 5 days ago