at the end of the world

I am so envious. Even as I write this entry, this couple is traveling to the ends of the earth.  But tomorrow, I get to go to…Tacoma, Washington.  Holla.

In light of yesterday’s intense post and conversation, here’s a simple question and hopefully, many folks, including the “quiet” blog readers will chime in:

If you could travel to any TWO places in the world, where would you go.  [And sorry for this late edit]…a short sentence to explain “Why.”

Be specific and remember, only two places.  Why two?  Because it’ll make you think.

The picture above:  Patagonia [Chile].

Filed under: travel

1. Randall says:

England
    Japan
    (does it have to be places in the world? because I’d love to see Mars)

2. sholander says:

Iceland
    New Zealand
    (two is really hard: especially in South Georgia during pollen season…)

3. jason says:

Brand new to this blog, good read, though i tend to stay away from heavily commented comment section…just too much for me to sift through…I do have some thoughts…maybe I should just send them through email…sure you get enough of those eh?…I would go first to scotland…second I would go to Alaska

4. Janet says:

Let me think here. Picking just two is really really tough.

New Zealand
    Kenya

5. Tyler says:

bora bora and western europe.

6. Brad says:

Greece and Israel.

This is too easy… a trick question, maybe?

7. Kacie says:

Indonesia (because it’s home but I never get to go there, and I never tire of it)
    Switzerland (lifelong dream… the Alps… European culture…. *sigh*)

8. Dan W says:

Australia
    Ireland

But, alas, I too get to travel across the bridge to lovely Tacoma tomorrow. Ah, well. At least the company will be good.

9. Rachael says:

Chile
    Jerusalem

10. Ben says:

Kŭmgangsan mtns – North Korea

Jerusalem – Israel

11. leahklug says:

mae sot, thailand
    cape town, south africa

12. Capt Ralph says:

Be careful what you wish for: Marilyn and I lived in Anchorage, Alaska for 5 years in the 1970s. A local radio station had a prize for a contest – anywhere Alaska Airlines flew. The excited winner immediately shouted “Fairbanks!” heheheh

13. Teresa says:

Alaska ’cause my husband’s going to be there. Thailand because a lot of people I love and work with are there.

14. eugenecho says:

No trick questions here.

Every couple weeks, I’d like to host an entry like this because it gives us a little more glimpse into a person and I’m excited to see a community – of sorts – forming via this blog.

My two answers:

North Korea – because my parents were born there as well as learning how I can be an advocate for the poverty and oppression in that country.

Phuket, Thailand, – really…any isolated, quiet, and warm beach. Please let me know if you own one.

15. Kacie says:

Jack Danger Canty… Jakarta??? I mean, Indonesia is on my list, but I’m totally shocked to see Jakarta on yours. I’d love to hear your reasons!

16. Jake says:

The Vatican
    Ayers Rock

I’ve always wanted to moon the pope and Ayers Rock seems like the best place to make a quick getaway before that pesky Swiss Army gets their hands on me.

17. Nason says:

Cuba, maybe it’s the rebel in me, but I hear it is amazing to see all of the mint-condition cars.

China, because I would like to go somewhere where things are much different than what I am used to seeing.

18. Capt Ralph says:

ok – cuba and antarctica

cigars and penguins

19. Rose says:

An Island in Southeast Thailand – Koh Phangan
    Italy – travel all through the country

20. Joe says:

Zanzabar… because I hear its way more beautiful then any thai beach that i’ve been too..
    Italy… because i love food and espresso…

21. ryanbd says:

Ireland – back to my roots; my wife went without me 😦
    Trunk Bay, St. John – http://www.stjohnbeachguide.com/Trunk%20Bay%20Overlook.htm

I was there on my honeymoon. It’s my happy place – and it may be that my whole life is geared towards getting back there. Or I’ve been watching too much LOST. But I’m gonna get back there…

22. ryanbd says:

I like Capt. Ralph’s – all I can think of is penguins smoking cigars. I’ll fly to see that.

23. queltica says:

Ecuador – haven’t been back since we moved to the U.S. when I was ten

The Highlands and Islands of Scotland – wild, beautiful, music, Gaelic

Ok- the second choice will change for me daily… only two, in this whole amazing planet? – that’s a tough list!

24. chad says:

Scotland – apparently i my family is (partly) from there

Italy – so much history

25. Linda says:

Hong Kong – see where my parents came from/back to my roots

Baghdad – to be completely out of my element, and get some perspective

Nothing grows by itself. If something matters to us, may we be intentional about growing it.

Invest. Pray. Plant. Water. Nurture. Repeat. God sees and knows us. In fact, God knows everything about us.

Not just the good we try so hard to project but even the mess we often seek to hide.

Let this soak in: Not only are we fully known but in Christ, we are fully pursued and loved.

This is grace.
Amazing grace. Hairstyles change. Sideburn fads come and go but may our commitment to love, honor, respect, and be on mission together for Christ never waver.

Thank you, Minhee. I love you so much even if you made fun of my hairstyle and sideburns. I missed you, Seattle. Grateful for a time to pray, rest, retreat, read, reflect, and sabbath. I've spent the last 12 days in the woods alone. Competely alone. It's been both haunting and refreshing. Haunting because of loneliness. Refreshing because through the silence, I am reminded - again - that I'm not alone. Emmanuel.

Also, bought myself a cheap kayak and loving the solitude time in nature. Also, the kayak is paying instant dividends in my bass fishing game. #sabbathrest #bassfishing #catchandrelease There's nothing selfish about rest and self-care. We can't give what we don't have. Experience life and we'll be life-giving to others. Amen.

#NoteToSelf