at the end of the world

I am so envious. Even as I write this entry, this couple is traveling to the ends of the earth.  But tomorrow, I get to go to…Tacoma, Washington.  Holla.

In light of yesterday’s intense post and conversation, here’s a simple question and hopefully, many folks, including the “quiet” blog readers will chime in:

If you could travel to any TWO places in the world, where would you go.  [And sorry for this late edit]…a short sentence to explain “Why.”

Be specific and remember, only two places.  Why two?  Because it’ll make you think.

The picture above:  Patagonia [Chile].

Filed under: travel

1. Randall says:

England
    Japan
    (does it have to be places in the world? because I’d love to see Mars)

2. sholander says:

Iceland
    New Zealand
    (two is really hard: especially in South Georgia during pollen season…)

3. jason says:

Brand new to this blog, good read, though i tend to stay away from heavily commented comment section…just too much for me to sift through…I do have some thoughts…maybe I should just send them through email…sure you get enough of those eh?…I would go first to scotland…second I would go to Alaska

4. Janet says:

Let me think here. Picking just two is really really tough.

New Zealand
    Kenya

5. Tyler says:

bora bora and western europe.

6. Brad says:

Greece and Israel.

This is too easy… a trick question, maybe?

7. Kacie says:

Indonesia (because it’s home but I never get to go there, and I never tire of it)
    Switzerland (lifelong dream… the Alps… European culture…. *sigh*)

8. Dan W says:

Australia
    Ireland

But, alas, I too get to travel across the bridge to lovely Tacoma tomorrow. Ah, well. At least the company will be good.

9. Rachael says:

Chile
    Jerusalem

10. Ben says:

Kŭmgangsan mtns – North Korea

Jerusalem – Israel

11. leahklug says:

mae sot, thailand
    cape town, south africa

12. Capt Ralph says:

Be careful what you wish for: Marilyn and I lived in Anchorage, Alaska for 5 years in the 1970s. A local radio station had a prize for a contest – anywhere Alaska Airlines flew. The excited winner immediately shouted “Fairbanks!” heheheh

13. Teresa says:

Alaska ’cause my husband’s going to be there. Thailand because a lot of people I love and work with are there.

14. eugenecho says:

No trick questions here.

Every couple weeks, I’d like to host an entry like this because it gives us a little more glimpse into a person and I’m excited to see a community – of sorts – forming via this blog.

My two answers:

North Korea – because my parents were born there as well as learning how I can be an advocate for the poverty and oppression in that country.

Phuket, Thailand, – really…any isolated, quiet, and warm beach. Please let me know if you own one.

15. Kacie says:

Jack Danger Canty… Jakarta??? I mean, Indonesia is on my list, but I’m totally shocked to see Jakarta on yours. I’d love to hear your reasons!

16. Jake says:

The Vatican
    Ayers Rock

I’ve always wanted to moon the pope and Ayers Rock seems like the best place to make a quick getaway before that pesky Swiss Army gets their hands on me.

17. Nason says:

Cuba, maybe it’s the rebel in me, but I hear it is amazing to see all of the mint-condition cars.

China, because I would like to go somewhere where things are much different than what I am used to seeing.

18. Capt Ralph says:

ok – cuba and antarctica

cigars and penguins

19. Rose says:

An Island in Southeast Thailand – Koh Phangan
    Italy – travel all through the country

20. Joe says:

Zanzabar… because I hear its way more beautiful then any thai beach that i’ve been too..
    Italy… because i love food and espresso…

21. ryanbd says:

Ireland – back to my roots; my wife went without me 😦
    Trunk Bay, St. John – http://www.stjohnbeachguide.com/Trunk%20Bay%20Overlook.htm

I was there on my honeymoon. It’s my happy place – and it may be that my whole life is geared towards getting back there. Or I’ve been watching too much LOST. But I’m gonna get back there…

22. ryanbd says:

I like Capt. Ralph’s – all I can think of is penguins smoking cigars. I’ll fly to see that.

23. queltica says:

Ecuador – haven’t been back since we moved to the U.S. when I was ten

The Highlands and Islands of Scotland – wild, beautiful, music, Gaelic

Ok- the second choice will change for me daily… only two, in this whole amazing planet? – that’s a tough list!

24. chad says:

Scotland – apparently i my family is (partly) from there

Italy – so much history

25. Linda says:

Hong Kong – see where my parents came from/back to my roots

Baghdad – to be completely out of my element, and get some perspective

Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. Thanks for your prayers.
I have numerous stories to share but for now, the following came up in every conversation with Iraqi/Syrian refugees:

1 Have tea with us. Or coffee. Or juice. Or something with lots of sugar in it. Or better yet, all of the above.
2 We want peace. We want security.
3 We hate ISIS.
4 We just want to go home.
5 Please don't forget us.

Please don't forget them... Father, please bless and protect these Iraqi and Syrian "refugee" children that have already endured so much. Protect their hearts and mind from unfathomable trauma. Plant seeds of hope and vision in their lives. And as we pray for them, teach us how to advocate for them. Amen. "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." -  local Iraqi priest whose church has welcomed many "relatives" to their church's property

It's always a privilege to be invited into peoples' home for tea - even if it's a temporary tent. This is an extended Yezidi family that fled the Mosul, Iraq area because of ISIS. It's indeed true that Christians were targeted by ISIS and thatbstory muat be shared but other minority groups like the Yezidis were also targeted. Some of their heartbreaking stories included the kidnapping of their sister. They shared that their father passed away shortly of a "broken heart." The conversation was emotional but afterwards, we asked each other for permission to take photos. Once the selfies came out, the real smiles came out.

So friends: Pray for Iraq. Pray for the persecuted Church. Pray for Christians, minority groups like the Yezidis who fear they will e completely wiped out in the Middle East,, and Muslims alike who are all suffering under ISIS. Friends: I'm traveling in the Middle East this week - Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. (Make sure you follow my pics/stories on IG stories). Specifically, I'm here representing @onedayswages to meet, learn, and listen to pastors, local leaders, NGOs, and of course directly from refugees from within these countries - including many from Syria.

For security purposes, I haven't been able to share at all but I'm now able to start sharing some photos and stories. For now, I'll be sharing numerous photos through my IG stories and will be sharing some longer written pieces in couple months when ODW launches another wave of partnerships to come alongside refugees in these areas. Four of us are traveling together also for the purpose of creating a short documentary that we hope to release early next year.

While I'm on my church sabbatical, it's truly a privilege to be able to come to these countries and to meet local pastors and indigenous leaders that tirelessly pursue peace and justice, and to hear directly from refugees. I've read so many various articles and pieces over the years and I thought I was prepared but it has been jarring, heartbreaking,  and gut wrenching. In the midst of such chaos, there's hope but there's also a lot of questions, too.

I hope you follow along as I share photos, stories, and help release this mini-documentary. Please tag friends that might be interested.

Please pray for safety, for empathy, for humility and integrity, for divine meetings. Pray that we listen well; To be present and not just be a consumer of these vulnerable stories. That's my biggest prayer.

Special thanks to @worldvisionusa and @worldrelief for hosting us on this journey. 9/11
Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.

Today, I had some gut wrenching and heart breaking conversations about war, violence, and peacemaking. Mostly, I listened. Never in my wildest imagination did I envision having these conversations on 9/11 of all days. I wish I could share more now but I hope to later after I process them for a few days.

But indeed: Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.
May it be so. Amen. Mount Rainier is simply epic. There's nothing like flying in and out of Seattle.

#mountrainier
#seattle
#northwestisbest

• Boom. Final fishing trip. Grateful. A nice way to end my 3 month sabbatical. #catchandrelease twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 20 hours ago
  • Christians: May we be guided by the Scriptures that remind us, "Seek first the Kingdom of God" and not, "Seek first the kingdom of America." || 21 hours ago
  • Every convo with Iraqi/Syrian refugees included: 1 Have tea with us 2 We want peace 3 We hate ISIS 4 We want to go home 5 Don't forget us || 3 days ago
  • Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan to assess @OneDaysWages' partnerships & to film mini-documentary on refugee crisis. So many emotions. || 3 days ago
  • Pray for Mexico. For those mourning loved ones. For those fighting for life - even under rubbles. For rescue workers. Lord, in your mercy. || 3 days ago
  • Don't underestimate what God can do through you. God has a very long history of using foolish and broken people for His purposes and glory. || 6 days ago