going back to school

One of the reasons why my wife, Minhee, and I decided to come to Seattle in 1997 was not only for ministry but her desire to re-do her Masters degree in the Northwest.  Her undergraduate and grad school degrees in Korea were focused on Psychology and Counseling and she worked couple years in those areas.  But after getting married, she was excited to study again and enter into the Marriage and Family Therapy [MFT] program at Seattle Pacific University.

In 1997, she applied and received admission.  She still has her student ID card from that year but was never able to begin her studies.  Couple weeks later, we found out great news that we were pregnant with our first child.  After some lengthy conversation, we made a decision that one of our priorities was to have one of the parents home with our child [and future children] for the first five or so years until they entered the public school system.  That was a nice way of saying that our decision was to have Minhee home to be with our children.

She made an important sacrifice and I respect her immensely for her decision to put aside those personal hopes in our joint commitment to place our children as a priority.  We made significant family and financial decisions to be present in their lives these early formative years.  In the Fall, our three children will be in the same public school – 5th grade, 3rd grade, and kindergarten.

Because of this transition, Minhee recently re-applied to the MFT program at SPU and this past Friday, she participated in the full day interview at their campus.  We received word this weekend that she officially received admission to the MFT program for the Fall of 2008.  So, yes, Minhee is going back to school this Fall.

I’m so very proud of Minhee and excited that she will pursue her convictions and dreams to be a source of encouragement and hope to others – particularly the Korean-American immigrant community.  I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t scared.  This upcoming  year will likely be one of the biggest seasons of change for our family.  In many ways, it resembles the year 2000 all over again when we took a big leap of faith to plant Quest Church.  This upcoming year, we are: launching the humanitarian organization, Minhee is going back to grad school, Quest hopes to plant a church/campus in the Eastside, and our youngest kid will enter the public school system joining his older sisters.  Whew.

How will it all work?  Only God knows but it will.

For now, I just want to commend Minhee for her faithfulness these past eleven years – both in her beauty and depravity.  She has been so supportive of everything I have dreamt about.  She has called me to follow and honor Christ.  She has loved and encouraged me.  She has been a wonderful mother to our three children.  And now, it’s time for her to honor her dreams and for her family to support her.

Filed under: family, marriage

1. christine says:

Congratulations Minhee! Very exciting and thank you for the faithful example you have been to so many of us.

2. Jennifer says:

Minhee – I am so excited for you. I know that you will love studying again, and will be able to do amazing things for the Lord when you are done!

PE – it will be a distrupting year, but at least she’s not going to MHGS, where disruption is an art form (and people like it!) 😉 Also, I think its awesome that you are supporting her in this since I know how important it has been for my own husband to support me in grad school. You guys will figure it all out and even thrive, I’m sure.

3. 3mily says:

Thank you Minhee for providing us with an example of someone who made the sacrifice to stay home, while still being a vibrant part of the world around her. Especially, I think, around here many women are dismissive of that choice. Thanks for showing us an alternative. — Ethan’s Mother🙂

4. Andrea says:

Very excited for you Minhee! Congratulations!

5. JB says:

This is awesome news! Congratulations Minhee!

6. jim says:

very much admire the courage for wife to pick up where she left off and study for a greater good for the community. also, very much admire the courage of husband to pick up areas to support. Best of luck!