life is short

One of our church members, CW, had some persistent headaches several months ago and went in see his doctor for what he thought would be a routine check-up.  This is what I shared in an earlier entry [near the end of October 07]:

CW is only in his 30s and a wonderful guy.  In the past couple weeks, CW was experiencing some discomfort, dizziness, headaches, and general illness.  I actually remember chatting with his wife about it couple Sundays ago – it wasn’t that big of a deal.

After couple visits to the doctors, CW went once more just this past Friday for an MRI for some clarity to his illness.  And on Friday, he was told the reason why he was feeling so much discomfort and it was the absolute last thing he could have imagined.  He was told that there was a tumor in his brain and that he needed to consult a neurosurgeon ASAP.  And just like that, he is scheduled for surgery to remove that tumor in his brain this morning [Monday].

They removed three golf sizes worth of cancer from his brain.  What was initially diagnosed to be benign cancer was erroneous…it was cancerous.  It’s a rare form of cancer with a survival rate of 3%.

After couple months of treatments and endless visits to see doctors and specialists, CW continues to hope and persevere.  Minhee and I had a chance to visit him, his wife, and their precious two children couple weeks ago.  We went there to encourage him but walked away encouraged and ministered to through his honesty and courage.

Through his online journal, CW shared these words and they moved me to tears.

I really hope that my crazy ordeal can be a wakeup call to each of you to take a good look at your own lives. Don’t just see my situation as a sad situation and continue on with your own lives. Make sure that you are living the life you want.

I think that we all know that “life is short” and to “live every day to the fullest” – but none of us really understand the concept that until it is too late. No one makes changes to their lives until something drastic happens to their own lives or to someone very close to them. I hope that you can consider me as someone close to you and that my ordeal can cause you to reassess and make changes in your own life. Don’t put things off till tomorrow. Don’t always look toward tomorrow. Live in the moment. Don’t be afraid to live. We only get one shot at this life. Don’t screw it up. It’s not too late to make changes. Are you working too much? Are you spending enough time with your kids? Your parents? Your friends? Have you been putting off the family vacation too many years in a row? I want you all to take an honest look at your life – and ask the question: “Am I living my life the way I want it?”

As you feel led or prompted, pray for CW and his family. Additionally, I’d like to simply use his words to encourage us to live the life we want and are called to live as followers of Christ.

Filed under: family, health

1. jonathan says:

absolutely right.. 🙂 life is too short and make the best out of it.. be happy at all times:)

2. Michael says:

It’s sad to see painful circumstances wake us up. I think you shared several Sundays ago that one of the greatest dangers of our modern world is the issue of Time, OverWork, and Busyness. This is certainly a fresh reminder.

3. Ray says:

Although I got a rather scientific point of view, I don’t think that life is short. I’d like to say: life is as long as it can be.

Also, I’d like to think it’s not about thinking or not thinking about tomorrow; doing or not doing crazy things in your life. Rather, it’s about being able to say: I don’t regret what I’ve done and I liked it!
    That’s what should stand behind our decisions.

Best wishes for CW.

4. jim says:

CW, our prayers are with you & your family.
    May GOD be with you and your family!

5. Linda says:

Thak you for this reminder! It is always needed and appreciated.

6. rachel says:

that was really powerful. thanks for sharing. praying for cw and family…

7. bcuzicare says:

Yes, life indeed is too short. We need to reassess what is important. I feel that my health challenge placed me in a “mandate” to now “spread the word” of preventive nutrition. Until I fell prey to death’s door…it didn’t make any sense to me either. However, when my back was truly against the wall, I dropped on my knees with much humility…and asked God to give me another chance. God deposits into our spirits, “concepts, ideas, insights”. I for a change….”LISTENED”..and gave God something to work with. Did a bolt of lightening flash down on me…and heal me??…ABSOLUTELY NOT!! I used common wisdom. My body was loaded with excess waste and toxins. I consumed foods that were non-nutritional. I researched that my cellular structure could only have a chance of healing with proper nutrients. I started with a vengeance….and followed basic nutritional guidelines….in my research I found a study conducted by John Hopkins that stated that cancer is a result of multiple nutritional deficiencies in the body. It make sense!! Diseases starts at the cellular level. At the time the problem is diagnosed and symptoms are displayed….normally the disease is at the chronic stage. When I found this tidbit of information about my health….this is what I did: 1) I immediately changed my dietary habits…fresh fruit, nuts, veggies, etc. 2) started a cleansing regimen, (whole body) 3) started a full line of nutritional supplements, i.e. digestive enzymes, vitamins, minerals, a product called ThreeLac, (a probiotic with friendly bacteria) 4) Oxygenated my cellular level .

I GIVE GOD GLORY…HONOR…AND PRAISE!! Again, I gave God….”something to work with”.

I share my story……bcuzicare!!

8. James Lee says:

My heart and prayer goes to CW and his family. I myself was fighting for life a year and half ago from cancer, and I was only 35. I didn’t have anyone to turn to except for God. No hope could be found except in God’s Word. Palmists prayers and cries became my cry. Their testimony and God’s promises given to them became mine. I have listed some scripture passages I found particularly encouraging in my website. Remember there is no form of cancer that hasn’t been overcome by someone. You are not mere statistic. You are a child of God. Whether we live or die, we belong to Him. Nothing will separate us from the love of God. Even in the deepest valley of life God will keep you with His rod and staff. “If I say, ‘Surely the darkness will hide me, the light become night around me,’ even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you (Psalm 139:11-12).” Don’t lose hope.

9. me says:

james,
    thanks for dropping by and leaving a note. i never got a chance to contact you but have remembered you in thought and prayer when i hear about your cancer. glad to hear that you are doing well.

10. JB says:

Thank you CW. We want nothing more than to help you and B, J and K. But you are helping us.

11. rhosie says:

i agree.. life is too short , so we must make the best out of it…but sometimes we intend to forget it, because we are too busy thinking other things which in reality much less important…we must lived by today, spent quality time and love for those people you loved and around you before it become too late…nice post.. thanks for sharing

Everyone loves the idea of  reconciliation...until it involves truthtelling, confessing, repenting, dismantling, forgiving, and peacemaking. Charlottesville. So heartbreaking and infuriating. We weep and mourn over the hatred in the hearts of these white nationalists. We weep and mourn but we can't be defeated.

As I stare at this photo that's making its round on the internet, I'm reminded of the utter importance of showing up. I'm grateful for the news media, law enforcement, clergy, and peaceful protesters that are currently there to report, protect, pray, and protest.

And this is an invitation to us. May we not be mere bystanders. May we keep pressing forward. Seek justice. Love mercy. Walk humbly. Commit to truth-telling, justice, reconciliation, peacemaking. Follow the ways of Christ. Every day. And it's important to note that we don't have to go to Charlottesville to do this. In fact, it's more important that we do this exactly where we're at. May we live out the call to reconciliation in our churches, workplaces, neighborhoods, schools, and around our dining tables. Lord, may it be so... We don't have to go to Charlottesville to do this. We have to do this wherever were called to be.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” ~ Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. /// Thanks to those who let me know that the photo wasn't actually from today but rather from last month in Charlottesville. - https://www.facebook.com/FrankSomervilleKTVU/posts/1551137301616258:0 Grateful for a spontaneous, last minute trip with Minhee to my old stomping grounds - San Francisco. 48 hours of visiting this special city that I called home for so many years.

Pic 1: Went to the Cliff House restaurant where we got engaged about 21 years ago to make out. Oops, sorry, I meant...to reflect on God's faithfulness over these many years.

Pic 2: Walked across the Golden Gate Bridge because it's such an iconic place - with some of the most incredible views.

Pic 3: Enjoyed a glass of some Cabernet Sauvignon and pretended to be wine connoisseurs at a vineyard.

Pic 4: Had lunch at my favorite Chinese restaurant, Sam Tung, which boasts some of the best chicken in the country. And of course, we ate at In-n-out.

Pic 5: And finally, celebrated with the good folks at @thefreedomstory where @onedayswages received their annual Freedom Award. What an honor.

Grateful. Thankful for this sabbatical. Breathe.

Show yourself some grace.

We can't do everything for everyone in every situation. Do what you can and do it with a joyful heart.

Amen A family that eats sushi together stays together.

Seriously, I don't ever remember eating so much as a teenager but these kids eat and eat and eat. Perhaps, the reason why this kid is pushing 6 feet tall. Grateful for a special treat with the family at @JaponessaSeattle. I'm sharing an obligatory, "I love and appreciate my wife, she's amazing" photo. Also...because I did something naughty...or brilliant. ;) Seattle is in the midst of a crazy heatwave. Near 100 degrees, hazy, and humid. An excessive heat advisory warning has also been issued.

So, Minhee and I needed to run some errands. It waa horrible but sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do. It's also known as adulting.

So, I'm driving and the air conditioning seems to have minimal effect. Minhee is in the passenger's seat and umm, when she's not paying attention, I turn on her seat heater to 5 - the highest level. All along, she's complaining about how hot she is...for nearly an hour...until she finally realizes what I did.

Bam. Boom. Gotcha.

Minhee, I love you!

• RT @mrmedina: When Bryan Stevenson speaks, we do well to listen. https://t.co/o5GJD0KWR2 || 12 hours ago
  • "Mourn with those who mourn." Lifting up the people of Sierra Leone in prayers. Hundreds dead and many more missing… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 14 hours ago
  • Dear Barcelona: We are so sorry. We mourn the violence and tragedy in your beautiful city. We pray for healing and yearn for peace. Amen. || 1 day ago
  • Love wins in the end but meanwhile, it fights for things that matter. Love isn't sentimental. It's both gentle & fierce. Seek God's Kingdom. || 2 days ago
  • In response to racism, folks often say, "It's a sin issue." Yes...but don't be naive. Sin creates sinful systems: youtube.com/watch?v=LEbUa0… || 3 days ago
  • Everyone loves the idea of reconciliation...until it involves truthtelling, confessing, repenting, dismantling, forgiving, and peacemaking. || 5 days ago