myers-briggs personality type

During the Q/A at the workshop I co-led last week in Los Angeles, someone asked me what my Myers-Briggs personality type was and honestly, I don’t remember.  I do have to admit that I’m not a real big fan of these tests but I do know of folks that place much weight on them – particularly the Myers-Briggs.

Several years ago, I did take the test for an official assessment and have it on file somewhere but it’ll take me some time to find it.

Anyone want to take a guess about my MB type?  What are you?  What do you think about the MB?

For those that aren’t familiar with the Myers Briggs, you can visit their website here:

The purpose of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator® (MBTI) personality inventory is to make the theory of psychological types described by C. G. Jung understandable and useful in people’s lives. The essence of the theory is that much seemingly random variation in the behavior is actually quite orderly and consistent, being due to basic differences in the ways individuals prefer to use their perception and judgment

Favorite world: Do you prefer to focus on the outer world or on your own inner world? This is called Extraversion (E) or Introversion (I).

Information: Do you prefer to focus on the basic information you take in or do you prefer to interpret and add meaning? This is called Sensing (S) or Intuition (N).

Decisions: When making decisions, do you prefer to first look at logic and consistency or first look at the people and special circumstances? This is called Thinking (T) or Feeling (F).

Structure: In dealing with the outside world, do you prefer to get things decided or do you prefer to stay open to new information and options? This is called Judging (J) or Perceiving (P).

Your Personality Type: When you decide on your preference in each category, you have your own personality type, which can be expressed as a code with four letters.

The 16 personality types of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator® instrument are listed here as they are often shown in what is called a “type table.”

Quiet, serious, earn success by thoroughness and dependability. Practical, matter-of-fact, realistic, and responsible. Decide logically what should be done and work toward it steadily, regardless of distractions. Take pleasure in making everything orderly and organized – their work, their home, their life. Value traditions and loyalty.
Quiet, friendly, responsible, and conscientious. Committed and steady in meeting their obligations. Thorough, painstaking, and accurate. Loyal, considerate, notice and remember specifics about people who are important to them, concerned with how others feel. Strive to create an orderly and harmonious environment at work and at home.
Seek meaning and connection in ideas, relationships, and material possessions. Want to understand what motivates people and are insightful about others. Conscientious and committed to their firm values. Develop a clear vision about how best to serve the common good. Organized and decisive in implementing their vision.
Have original minds and great drive for implementing their ideas and achieving their goals. Quickly see patterns in external events and develop long-range explanatory perspectives. When committed, organize a job and carry it through. Skeptical and independent, have high standards of competence and performance – for themselves and others.
Tolerant and flexible, quiet observers until a problem appears, then act quickly to find workable solutions. Analyze what makes things work and readily get through large amounts of data to isolate the core of practical problems. Interested in cause and effect, organize facts using logical principles, value efficiency.
Quiet, friendly, sensitive, and kind. Enjoy the present moment, what’s going on around them. Like to have their own space and to work within their own time frame. Loyal and committed to their values and to people who are important to them. Dislike disagreements and conflicts, do not force their opinions or values on others.
Idealistic, loyal to their values and to people who are important to them. Want an external life that is congruent with their values. Curious, quick to see possibilities, can be catalysts for implementing ideas. Seek to understand people and to help them fulfill their potential. Adaptable, flexible, and accepting unless a value is threatened.
Seek to develop logical explanations for everything that interests them. Theoretical and abstract, interested more in ideas than in social interaction. Quiet, contained, flexible, and adaptable. Have unusual ability to focus in depth to solve problems in their area of interest. Skeptical, sometimes critical, always analytical.
Flexible and tolerant, they take a pragmatic approach focused immediate results. Theories and conceptual explanations bore them – they want to act energetically to solve the problem. Focus o n the here-and-now, spontaneous, enjoy each moment that they can be active with others. Enjoy material comforts and style. Learn best through doing.
Outgoing, friendly, and accepting. Exuberant lovers of life, people, and material comforts. Enjoy working with others to make things happen. Bring common sense and a realistic approach to their work, and make work fun. Flexible and spontaneous, adapt readily to new people and environments. Learn best by trying a new skill with other people.
Warmly enthusiastic and imaginative. See life as full of possibilities. Make connections between events and information very quickly, and confidently proceed based on the patterns they see. Want a lot of affirmation from others, and readily give appreciation and spanport. Spontaneous and flexible, often rely on their ability to improvise and their verbal fluency.
Quick, ingenious, stimulating, alert, and outspoken. Resourceful in solving new and challenging problems. Adept at generating conceptual possibilities and then analyzing them strategically. Good at reading other people. Bored by routine, will seldom do the same thing the same way, apt to turn to one new interest after another.
Practical, realistic, matter-of-fact. Decisive, quickly move to implement decisions. Organize projects and people to get things done, focus on getting results in the most efficient way possible. Take care of routine details. Have a clear set of logical standards, systematically follow them and want others to also. Forceful in implementing their plans.
Warmhearted, conscientious, and cooperative. Want harmony in their environment, work with determination to establish it. Like to work with others to complete tasks accurately and on time. Loyal, follow through even in small matters. Notice what others need in their day-by-day lives and try to provide it. Want to be appreciated for who they are and for what they contribute.
Warm, empathetic, responsive, and responsible. Highly attuned to the emotions, needs, and motivations of others. Find potential in everyone, want to help others fulfill their potential. May act as catalysts for individual and group growth. Loyal, responsive to praise and criticism. Sociable, facilitate others in a group, and provide inspiring leadership.
Frank, decisive, assume leadership readily. Quickly see illogical and inefficient procedures and policies, develop and implement comprehensive systems to solve organizational problems. Enjoy long-term planning and goal setting. Usually well informed, well read, enjoy expanding their knowledge and passing it on to others. Forceful in presenting their ideas.

Filed under: health,

1. Sam says:

I’m going to guess you are ENTP.
    I am an ESTP.
    And I think there are too many categories.

2. Ben C says:

I actually took this on Facebook which was free and pretty comprehensive. I am an ESFP.

It was pretty accurate. I was somewhat blown away by the results.

3. danielktaylor says:

ENFP. while it’s interesting and somewhat helpful to know this stuff, we still work with people as people, not as personality types.

4. I’m an ISFP

I would guess you’re an INFJ

5. g says:

I took this during grad school. I’m an INTP, which apparently is only about 1% of the population… confirming my suspicions, that yes, I’m weird.

6. Jeff Roach says:

When I did full time ministry/social work I was an ENFP, now that I’m an IT Trainer I’m ENFJ (my P and J have always been really close usually seperated by a point or two) Jen is INFP, so apparently niether one of us likes to think through things : )

One thing about “E vs. I” it was explained that it is also how you process your thoughts, internally or externally and how you recharge through quiteness and being alone, or through being in social situations…

Jen jokles that evry male in her life is an external procesor (including the cat) and she is an internal processor…

If I had to guess what you are PE I would say an INFP

7. jadanzzy says:

I am an INFP. we rule.

8. insipid "g" says:

i would guess you are ESPN…

9. beattieblog says:

Eugene is, I’m guessing, INFP for you as well.
    ENFP here – where’s the party?

10. aaron says:

I was an INTJ last time I took it

11. aaron says:

I would guess that you are an ISTP

12. young c-m says:

My guess is ENTJ.

13. Dan Hauge says:

You’re getting quite a variety of guesses here–I guess it’s a testament to your multi-faceted Jedi knight mysteriousness . . .

14. Jennifer says:

I think you’re an INFP.

15. david says:

i’m also going with INFP (dreamer) for you, but strangely, i think your work life sometimes resembles an INTJ (strategist).

i’m an I/E NTJ and i like this site: http://www.mypersonality.info/personality-types/

16. kara says:

if you go to http://typelogic.com/ and read the description for your type, you can find a list of famous people for each type. i have no idea how they figure this out, but it’s pretty fun!

slate.com had this analysis of the myers-briggs types of the presidential candidates:

i’m happy to join CS Lewis, Lance Armstrong, Donald Rumsfeld (hmm…maybe not so happy), Gandalf, and both Hannibals (the military leader and the fictional serial killer) as an INTJ.

17. dootz says:

I’m an INTJ, and I learned that at least three other leaders in our church are as well. One point of disagreement: I’ve heard that I’s don’t focus on an “inner world” but rather that they refresh themselves when they’re alone, while E’s refresh themselves with others. Though an introvert, I totally get charged up by the outer world, but need downtime to refresh.

18. JB says:

I’d put my money on INFJ. Maybe P instead of J, but I’d go with J. The other three letters are beyond question for me: INF. Introverts are tricky to peg. Also, anyone with drama in childhood may be hard to peg: who do I need to be today to get by in the chaos that is my world? I’d say immigrating at age 5 would qualify!

I’m a authorized trainer for MBTI and can order administer tests, if you ever want to do a thing at Quest.

I strongly recommend Motherstyles by Janet Penley for moms and dads who are interested in how your type and your kids’ type influence your relationship and life together. It can be tough to be the only one of a type in a family, unless the family is aware and values the different type.

G, whoever you are, I’m also INTP. The few, the proud….

19. me says:

Now, I’m really curious so I’m going to look for those files tomorrow.

But since JB has put her money down, we’ll have to see what my MB type is.

So, here’s another question, how often does a person change their personality type? I’m assuming that the E or I wouldn’t change but the other things can and do? What determines the frequency of that change?

20. Pat says:

I’m wagering that you’re INFJ also. I’m an INFP. Oddly, I’ve found that over the years, as I’ve learned to compensate for my weaknesses (especailly the high-I part), My personality type hasn’t changed – in fact, I’m more I, more N, more F, more P. Just when I thought I was getting balanced, too🙂.

I’ve taken the test a dozen or more times over the years – sometimes trying to fool it even. Like, take it in my “work mode” – “how would i answer this as a software engineer?” vs “how would i answer this as a pastor?”.

I’m always INFP. And the more I’ve read about that type, the more I trust the system, and let my family and coworkers use that typing system to understand me better.

21. Jennifer says:

Eugene,

I think of the MB more as a snapshot, than as a defination for all time. It gives you some idea of how you are processing right now. But, your experiences can still change you in the future. But, I dont know that the test would necessarily measure that well…the more you take the test (or any test) the more you get in a habbit of answering questions a certain way, even if you dont really act that way any more. You might be measuring an older “version” of your personality, just because of test-retest issues.

22. For a long time I was testing as a J. However, I noticed that I was responding in the ways that I wished I was, instead what I actually was. So when I finally answered honestly, I was actually a P, which made more sense. A professor who gave this test to me once that results fluctuate because many people answer what they want to be instead of what they actually are.

23. secondlady says:

In general terms this may be so, human personality is more complicated than we think.

24. JB says:

RE: changing, Type theory says you don’t. It’s like handedness: you are left or right-handed, that’s that.

The test isn’t your type, its just an indicator (the “I” in MBTI). I think something like 90% of the time it gets a person’s true type on three or more margins. The final test is you reading the descriptions and figuring out what fits.

At different times of our lives we may need to use different skills, which might influence even our own understanding of our true type. (People who know me at work think I’m a “J”, but I’m not.) But underneath it all, the theory says, is your true type, which doesn’t change.

You view of your won type might also be muddied by the fact that you may have some strengths associated with another “letter”. For instance, we have quiet extroverts and noisy introverts. There is an instrument called the Step 2 that breaks each of the 4 factors into subgroups, and you may find that you are on the E side in 2 and the I side in 3. You are still one or the other. Think of dogs and cats: we all know some cats that are warm and friendly like dogs. But they are still cats, not dogats!

You can tell I like this stuff. At MBTI classes and events, N’s dramatically outnumber S’s. We love theory!

25. Jelani says:

Human personality IS, in fact, MUCH more complicated than we think.

For years I’ve tested as an E, and my overall behavior and life experience testifies to my being an ENTP, but the truth is I tend to have a lot of I characteristics as well. My I/E dichotomy is pretty evenly balanced. I really, REALLY value my time alone and in thought… but if I don’t get out and start interacting with people after awhile, I get really crazy. I get recharged by being with people, but not a LOT of people… more like a few people at a time.

as for my official guess… I’m just shooting in the dark because I barely know you, E, but I’d say that you’re:

INTP

26. me says:

I hope none of you guys are going to charge me for your assessments. FWIW, we do have a fair number of counselors and counselors-in-training at Quest…

27. Blake says:

I’m in the exact same boat as Jelani. To a ‘T’. I think it’s called being a “performing ‘I’.”

28. Rebecca says:

I am currently an ESFJ, but when I was younger, I was an ISTJ. I guess as I have become more comfortable with myself I have allowed myself to be more extroverted.

You are for sure an I, perhaps an INTJ.

29. Linda says:

I remember taking this test a couple times, too, in my high school psych class and then in college. I always get frustrated with these types of tests because I can’t help but say “well, it depends!” … then I answer based on whatever circumstances I create in my head that I assume the test creators were considering. It always took forever and concluded in frustration and results I felt were unreliable.

All in all, I’m going to agree with “insipid ‘g'” and vote you an ESPN.

30. cho mama says:

ESFP….party girl…did you know?

31. […] Since I was surprised, I retook the tests twice this past week and both times, I tested as an INFJ which makes more sense.   It appears a few folks have got me pegged pretty good. […]

32. ESTJ – I’ve done a lot of the ‘free’ versions, this is what
    I usually get.

48-ESTJ, 6-ENTJ, 1-INTJ

33. Everything is very open with a precise description of the issues.
    It was definitely informative. Your site is very helpful.

Many thanks for sharing!

34. Tim Almond says:

My type would depend on context… I can justify and find evidence in how I am and behave for either choice in all four categories. But that should not surprise: Myers-Briggs, like most psychometric tests, is questioned for the rigor and validity of the original research upon which the model is founded. Many psychologists dismiss MBTI as hokus pokus – of no more accurate relevance than a horoscope in a typical tabloid newspaper… I suspect they may be right: too often, an assertion of ‘type’ is used to justify a refusal to learn and change…