“once” – a beautiful movie

Wow.  Tonight, Minhee and I rented and watched the film, “Once” and I have to say while it may not be the greatest of films, it was such a delightful and hopeful film.  What’s amazing was that this film was made for only $160,000. [ For comparison, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest was created for $300 million; Troy was created for $180 million].

“Once” – featuring beautiful music – captured our attention, lifted our spirits, and honestly, it made me recommit myself to my guitar and songwriting.  My guitar [11+ years ago before marriage] – used to be my best friend.  I sold it years ago and certainly regretted that decision tonight but with the wife’s permission, I’m ready to be friends again with a guitar.

Seriously, go rent and enjoy this film.  If you’ve seen it already, what did you think?  Question:  What’s been a recent film that has lifted your spirits/hope?

Here’s a brief synopsis of the film [from wikipedia]:

Once is an Academy Award winning 2007 Irish musical film written and directed by John Carney [ex -bassist of The Frames]. Set in Dublin, this naturalistic drama stars musicians Glen Hansard (of popular Irish rock band The Frames) and Markéta Irglováas struggling musicians. Collaborators prior to making the film, Hansard and/or Irglová composed and performed all but one of the original songs in the movie.

Shot for only €130,000 ($160,000), the film was very successful, earning substantial per-screen box office averages in the United States.  It received extremely enthusiastic reviews and awards such as the 2008 Independent Spirit Award for best foreign film. Hansard and Irglová’s song “Falling Slowly” received a 2008 Academy Award and a 2008 Grammy nomination, and the soundtrack as a whole also received a Grammy nomination.

Marketa Irglova’s speech at the 2008 Academy Awards for winning the Best Original Song:

“Hi everyone. I just want to thank you so much. This is such a big deal, not only for us, but for all other independent musicians and artists that spend most of their time struggling, and this, the fact that we’re standing here tonight, the fact that we’re able to hold this, it’s just the proof that no matter how far out your dreams are, it’s possible. And, you know, fair play to those who dare to dream and don’t give up. And this song was written from a perspective of hope, and hope at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are. And so thank you so much, who helped us along way. Thank you.”

406px-onceposter.jpg

Filed under: entertainment, , , , ,

1. Dan Hauge says:

Without giving away much (I hope), I really appreciated the way that the film ended–how it bucked the standard Hollywood expectations of how those situations should play out.

On a completely different note–130,000 pounds is now equivalent to $160,000? Wow, the dollar really is tanking.

Oh, and to answer the question–I’m not sure how this confession will label me, but I LOVED Enchanted. I’m a sucker for Disney movie musicals, and while I knew this was going to be a funny tweak on their formula, I didn’t know how much it’s a sly tribute to just about every Disney animated film, ever. Picking out all the different references is a blast.

2. Jessie says:

I was just going to say Enchanted too! When I came out of the theater my face hurt from grinning the whole time…It was short, sweet and hilarious especially for girls like me who have known those enormous-eyed Disney princesses since childhood. Amy Adams was perfect.

3. DK says:

You know what’s weird is that I can’t think if anything that I’ve seen recently that have been uplifting. They’ve all been pretty dark, intense, etc.

4. Janet says:

Well, my suggestion is pretty obvious: JUNO.

It was so uplifting and hopeful. I’ve seen it nearly ten times and each time, I walk way feeling hopeful. And I LOVE that song.

5. rexhamilton says:

I agree…Juno is one of those films that makes you leave the theater with a grin. It was a refreshing experience after seeing No Country for Old Men a couple times and then There Will be Blood. Two very good films, but very intense.

6. Thanks for the recommendation. “Once” is now in our Blockbuster queue.

As for other uplifting movies, I’d put in another vote for Juno. Also, I recently saw the Darjeeling Limited and, having been to India myself, found it really funny and (subtly) uplifting. (If you see it, note how the characters’ baggage is used as a great visual metaphor.) Every time I see The Motorcycle Diaries I feel both uplifted and challenged, and I loved Eternal Sunshine for the Spotless Mind. And finally, one of my favorite documentaries is Born Into Brothels. It is really inspiring.

Thanks for a great post and a great blog. I’ve listed your site as a link on my blog.

7. Definately going to watch this one brother! Thanks for the recommendation. I rewatched an old favorite and blogged it…. come to my page and read about!

8. teeveebee says:

My husband and I went to see the film “Once” some time ago when it first came out. We had to travel for an hour to a small independent movie theater where it was playing. We loved it. The music continued to haunt me for days afterwards. It’s a beautiful film, well worth renting.

I would recommend this film with one caveat, there is some language in the movie that might not be appropriate for younger viewers to hear, and in my opinion, totally unnecessary to the story being told.

9. Aaron L says:

Oh yea, my wife and I absolutely loved Once. I’ve been rockin the soundtrack ever since.

Another great one that both breaks and warms me is Reign Over Me with Adam Sandler and Don Cheadle. So good.

10. Ron says:

from thefilmconnection.org

Promises follows the journey of one of the filmmakers travels to a Palestinian refugee camp and to an Israeli settlement in the West Bank, and to the more familiar neighborhoods of Jerusalem where he meets seven Palestinian and Israeli children.

Though the children live only 20 minutes apart, they exist in completely separate worlds; the physical, historical and emotional obstacles between them run deep.

Promises explores the nature of these boundaries and tells the story of a few children who dared to cross the lines to meet their neighbors. Rather than focusing on political events, the seven children featured in Promises offers a refreshing, human and sometimes humorous portrait of the Palestinian-Israeli conflict.

11. Joonmo says:

Awesome movie indeed. I liked the movie so much, I bought the soundtrack for my itunes right after. I heard Glen Hansard was only suppose to provide the music for the film but he ended up taking the part because the main actor backed out. I can’t imagine anyone better to play that part. I hear they are a couple in real life.

12. Darwin says:

I saw it a few months back, but The Namesake (based on Jhumpa Lahiri’s book) was a great movie – especially meaningful to those of us from immigrant backgrounds. I’d say that as haunting a particular scene was, The Kite Runner was also an inspiriing movie to me – and very true to the book, which is often too rare.

13. beattieblog says:

Eugene – you missed an amazing show at The Moore lastnight…

14. Mark says:

Why do you need your wife’s permission to play the guitar?

15. sijojamesjohn says:

Gr8 Film..I was happy to see the Marketa getting a chance to come back on stage and give her speech after she was pipped the first time

"He must become greater; I must become less." - John 3:30 We have to remind ourselves of this truth every day lest we forget:

Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant.

Be faithful.

PS: Also, it helps to get some Vitamin D especially if you live in the rainy Northwest Thank you, Brooklyn, for the reminder. Umm, @jlin7 is a Christian but he wasn't very Christlike with me on the basketball court. He muscled me into the paint, dunked on me, mentioned my momma, and then said, "Stick with preaching." Just kidding. Kind of.

If you haven't heard, Jeremy Lin is donating his one games wages (approximately $140,000) and an additional $100 for every 3 pointer made to support Girls' Empowerment and Education through @onedayswages. That game is this Friday vs the Boston Celtics!

Join his campaign as he's inviting his fans to donate just $7. - http://onedayswages.org/jlin

Did you know that 32 million girls of lower secondary school age are not enrolled in school.

Did you know that every year of secondary school increases a girl’s future earning power by 20 percent.

Did you know that if all girls in Sub-Saharan Africa, South and West Asia had a secondary education, child marriage would fall by 64 percent.

We can't change the entire world but we can impact the lives of one, few, and in some cases...many.

#jeremylin #jlin #linsanity #onedayswages Don't be held captive to either praise or criticism.

Know who you are.
Know what you're about.
Know WHO you serve.

The answer to who you serve makes all the difference... It's the day after International Women's Day - and it's still important to celebrate the contribution of women in our lives, society, and world. As we honor women all around the world, I'm also reminded of how women and children are those who are most deeply impacted by injustice - especially poverty.

Sadly, I have witnessed this reality in too many places. ​In 2012, I traveled to a remote area in Eastern Kenya as part of a @onedayswages response to a famine that struck the Horn of Africa region. This famine impacted nearly 13 million people and according to some sources, took the lives of about 250,000 people. During my trip there, I had the chance of meeting many people but the person that still remains in my memory was a Muslim woman named Sahara.

She was so hospitable in inviting us to her small and temporary home. During our conversation, I learned that ​Sahara traveled 300 kilometers (a little under 200 miles) – some by cart and some by foot – as they sought to escape the worst drought that has impacted East Africa (Kenya, Somalia, and Ethiopia) in the past 60 years.

This is not a misprint.
200.

She traveled about 200 miles on cart and foot. ​And all along, she was ill. If you look closely ​at the photo, you might notice the large lump in her throat - likely a large cancerous tumor.​ She did not travel alone. She traveled with her husband who I was not able to meet because he was staying with one of his five other wives in this polygamist community.  She did not travel alone. She also traveled with her six children – the youngest being about 1 and the oldest being around 8. She had just given birth to her sixth child when they began her journey. Her youngest was severely malnourished when they arrived to this new settlement in a town called Benane.
Sahara and her children all survived this journey. They survived because she persisted.
In honor of Sahara...and so many other women who keep...keeping on.