“once” – a beautiful movie

Wow.  Tonight, Minhee and I rented and watched the film, “Once” and I have to say while it may not be the greatest of films, it was such a delightful and hopeful film.  What’s amazing was that this film was made for only $160,000. [ For comparison, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest was created for $300 million; Troy was created for $180 million].

“Once” – featuring beautiful music – captured our attention, lifted our spirits, and honestly, it made me recommit myself to my guitar and songwriting.  My guitar [11+ years ago before marriage] – used to be my best friend.  I sold it years ago and certainly regretted that decision tonight but with the wife’s permission, I’m ready to be friends again with a guitar.

Seriously, go rent and enjoy this film.  If you’ve seen it already, what did you think?  Question:  What’s been a recent film that has lifted your spirits/hope?

Here’s a brief synopsis of the film [from wikipedia]:

Once is an Academy Award winning 2007 Irish musical film written and directed by John Carney [ex -bassist of The Frames]. Set in Dublin, this naturalistic drama stars musicians Glen Hansard (of popular Irish rock band The Frames) and Markéta Irglováas struggling musicians. Collaborators prior to making the film, Hansard and/or Irglová composed and performed all but one of the original songs in the movie.

Shot for only €130,000 ($160,000), the film was very successful, earning substantial per-screen box office averages in the United States.  It received extremely enthusiastic reviews and awards such as the 2008 Independent Spirit Award for best foreign film. Hansard and Irglová’s song “Falling Slowly” received a 2008 Academy Award and a 2008 Grammy nomination, and the soundtrack as a whole also received a Grammy nomination.

Marketa Irglova’s speech at the 2008 Academy Awards for winning the Best Original Song:

“Hi everyone. I just want to thank you so much. This is such a big deal, not only for us, but for all other independent musicians and artists that spend most of their time struggling, and this, the fact that we’re standing here tonight, the fact that we’re able to hold this, it’s just the proof that no matter how far out your dreams are, it’s possible. And, you know, fair play to those who dare to dream and don’t give up. And this song was written from a perspective of hope, and hope at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are. And so thank you so much, who helped us along way. Thank you.”

406px-onceposter.jpg

Filed under: entertainment, , , , ,

1. Dan Hauge says:

Without giving away much (I hope), I really appreciated the way that the film ended–how it bucked the standard Hollywood expectations of how those situations should play out.

On a completely different note–130,000 pounds is now equivalent to $160,000? Wow, the dollar really is tanking.

Oh, and to answer the question–I’m not sure how this confession will label me, but I LOVED Enchanted. I’m a sucker for Disney movie musicals, and while I knew this was going to be a funny tweak on their formula, I didn’t know how much it’s a sly tribute to just about every Disney animated film, ever. Picking out all the different references is a blast.

2. Jessie says:

I was just going to say Enchanted too! When I came out of the theater my face hurt from grinning the whole time…It was short, sweet and hilarious especially for girls like me who have known those enormous-eyed Disney princesses since childhood. Amy Adams was perfect.

3. DK says:

You know what’s weird is that I can’t think if anything that I’ve seen recently that have been uplifting. They’ve all been pretty dark, intense, etc.

4. Janet says:

Well, my suggestion is pretty obvious: JUNO.

It was so uplifting and hopeful. I’ve seen it nearly ten times and each time, I walk way feeling hopeful. And I LOVE that song.

5. rexhamilton says:

I agree…Juno is one of those films that makes you leave the theater with a grin. It was a refreshing experience after seeing No Country for Old Men a couple times and then There Will be Blood. Two very good films, but very intense.

6. Thanks for the recommendation. “Once” is now in our Blockbuster queue.

As for other uplifting movies, I’d put in another vote for Juno. Also, I recently saw the Darjeeling Limited and, having been to India myself, found it really funny and (subtly) uplifting. (If you see it, note how the characters’ baggage is used as a great visual metaphor.) Every time I see The Motorcycle Diaries I feel both uplifted and challenged, and I loved Eternal Sunshine for the Spotless Mind. And finally, one of my favorite documentaries is Born Into Brothels. It is really inspiring.

Thanks for a great post and a great blog. I’ve listed your site as a link on my blog.

7. Definately going to watch this one brother! Thanks for the recommendation. I rewatched an old favorite and blogged it…. come to my page and read about!

8. teeveebee says:

My husband and I went to see the film “Once” some time ago when it first came out. We had to travel for an hour to a small independent movie theater where it was playing. We loved it. The music continued to haunt me for days afterwards. It’s a beautiful film, well worth renting.

I would recommend this film with one caveat, there is some language in the movie that might not be appropriate for younger viewers to hear, and in my opinion, totally unnecessary to the story being told.

9. Aaron L says:

Oh yea, my wife and I absolutely loved Once. I’ve been rockin the soundtrack ever since.

Another great one that both breaks and warms me is Reign Over Me with Adam Sandler and Don Cheadle. So good.

10. Ron says:

from thefilmconnection.org

Promises follows the journey of one of the filmmakers travels to a Palestinian refugee camp and to an Israeli settlement in the West Bank, and to the more familiar neighborhoods of Jerusalem where he meets seven Palestinian and Israeli children.

Though the children live only 20 minutes apart, they exist in completely separate worlds; the physical, historical and emotional obstacles between them run deep.

Promises explores the nature of these boundaries and tells the story of a few children who dared to cross the lines to meet their neighbors. Rather than focusing on political events, the seven children featured in Promises offers a refreshing, human and sometimes humorous portrait of the Palestinian-Israeli conflict.

11. Joonmo says:

Awesome movie indeed. I liked the movie so much, I bought the soundtrack for my itunes right after. I heard Glen Hansard was only suppose to provide the music for the film but he ended up taking the part because the main actor backed out. I can’t imagine anyone better to play that part. I hear they are a couple in real life.

12. Darwin says:

I saw it a few months back, but The Namesake (based on Jhumpa Lahiri’s book) was a great movie – especially meaningful to those of us from immigrant backgrounds. I’d say that as haunting a particular scene was, The Kite Runner was also an inspiriing movie to me – and very true to the book, which is often too rare.

13. beattieblog says:

Eugene – you missed an amazing show at The Moore lastnight…

14. Mark says:

Why do you need your wife’s permission to play the guitar?

15. sijojamesjohn says:

Gr8 Film..I was happy to see the Marketa getting a chance to come back on stage and give her speech after she was pipped the first time

To support both the equality of women and the dignity of the unborn feels like a very lonely place to be but I know we're not alone. May we press on. And may we lead with hope.

I'm at the Women's March in Seattle to show my solidarity with my wife, my mothers, my daughters, and the female congregants of my church. I'm also here to model for my son what we believe in our home. Many people have already expressed their disappointment, dismay, and disgust with my decision. Such is life. We will always disappoint someone. And that's also a lot of words that begin with "d." I'm here not because I agree or disagree with every single statement or sign at this march (although I really liked this one) but because as a Christian, I believe in the fundamental truth that women are fearfully and wonderfully made in the image of God. They are to be valued, heard, and respected.

And because I believe we can't be a flourishing society without the flourishing of women. And because the Church cannot be the Church without the gifts and voices of women. All the gifts of women.

And in doing so, may we together honor the sanctity of life - from womb to tomb. Collaboration.

col·lab·o·ra·tion
kəˌlabəˈrāSH(ə)n/
noun

the action of working with someone or a group of others  to produce or create something.

May we hold our logos, egos, and tribalism have their place. May we hold them loosely for they too shall pass. May we collaborate for the sake of the greater Kingdom of God ... which endures forever. As we honor Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., don't forget the God behind the man. The one true God who deposited this dream into MLK is still speaking to us today. Are we listening?

Be courageous. Be brave.

Being invited by the King Family to speak at the MLK worship service at Ebenezer Baptist Church in 2016 remains one of the most unexpected honors of my life. On the right is his daughter, Dr. Bernice King and his sister, Dr. Christine King Farris. Walking throughstreet markets in different parts of the world is the best. Soaking in the culture. Listening to the local language and music. Enjoying the amazing cuisine. Meeting new friends. Praying for the Gospel to penetrate. #ChiangRai Blessed be the local, indigenous leaders for it is they who live in the very communities they seek to love. For it is they who understand their context and culture...better than a Westerner ever will. For it is they who will continue to tenaciously pursue a better world with hope, justice and love when visitors like me leave.

Yes, blessed be the local, indigenous leaders. What an honor and privilege to celebrate with the on-the-ground local @thefreedomstory team to celebrate the recent opening of their Education and Resource Center for the local youth in Chiang Rai, Thailanf. This was made possible through a partnership and matching grant by @onedayswages and The Freedom Story.

While it was an honor to be there to cut the cord and say a few words, this is an example of collaboration. Much love to the Freedom Story team including their co-founders Tawee Donchai and @Rachel Goble, to their staff who live in the community, who understand their context and culture, and who tenaciously pursue a better world with hope, justice and love. And of course, much love to the students themselves for they each matter. Finally, to each person that donated to @onedayswages to make this grant possible.

May hundreds and even thousands of youth be impacted, encouraged, and mentored. May they capture a glimpse of God's love for them.

Photo: @benjaminedwards

• Really loved this sign from the women's march from one of our church congregants. Counter cultural. Subversive. L… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 4 hours ago
  • To support both the equality of women & the dignity of the unborn can be lonely but we're not alone. Lead with hope: instagram.com/p/BPjMGTOhMjL/ || 5 hours ago
  • To support both the equality of women & the dignity of the unborn feels like a very lonely place to be but we're not alone. May we press on. || 8 hours ago
  • Going to the Women's March in Seattle bc as a Christian, I believe women are fearfully and wonderfully made and are to be heard & respected. || 11 hours ago
  • Christians: May we be guided by the Scriptures that remind us, "Seek first the Kingdom of God" and not, "Seek first the kingdom of America." || 12 hours ago
  • God bless America...so that we may be a blessing to the hurting, poor, vulnerable, immigrants, oppressed, marginalized. God bless America. || 1 day ago