life update

An entry to just share some life stuff to keep folks updated and for those who are compelled in some way – to keep my family and me in thought and prayer.

• Humanitarian Organization or Bust.  My heart is still there but I’ve been struggling and intimidated by the work that needs to go into starting the humanitarian organizationI shared about couple months ago.  But Minhee and I promised we’d focused some time, prayer, and energy on the conviction post Easter and well, it’s post Easter and it’s time to go.  Scared but need to move forward with our goals so will be writing a post or two in the coming weeks.  Still dreaming…
  • Sleepless in Los Angeles.  I just returned from a 2 night trip to Los Angeles to speak at the Asian-American Leadership Conference.  This past Easter weekend – while wonderful – was incredibly taxing on the mind and body.  By the third service on Sunday, I had nearly lost my voice.  Flew down to LA and while the weather was 90 degrees and beautiful, I was too pooped. But, it was a good trip nevertheless.  As usual when I go to these conferences, I enjoyed re-connecting with old friends and meeting new folks.  I also enjoyed shacking a room with Gideon Tsang, pastor at Vox Veniae in Austin, Texas.  We led a workshop together on our ecclesiologies and expressions of our church community.  His facial hair is average but his chat was great.  But glad to be back to Seattle and the 39 degree weather.  What!  Snow and rain in late March?
  • Seattle to Korea.  I have about 3 months left in Seattle before we trek off for our 3 month sabbatical.  We’ll be traveling to Korea and parking there for couple months to use that as our base for some of our reading, research, and reflection.  I am such an idiot.  I discovered recently that I misread the instructions of a sabbatical grant [via the Lilly Foundation] that I was hoping and praying would take care of all our expenses this summer as we traveled for the humanitarian foundation.  Deadline has passed and we are praying through other options but will likely not be able to travel extensively.  I am still praying about the possibility of a trip to Africa in the next few months and a trip to India in September.
  • Exercise and Health.   Aarrgh – not going too well but I did score a 289 in Wii Bowling.  That must count for something.
  • LifeGiving Stuff.  I’m looking forward to couple opportunities to teach in Bellingham and another small conference here in Seattle in couple weeks.  But the aspects that are most life giving has been teaching through the Book of Acts at Quest on Sundays [podcast here] and conversing, conspiring, and dreaming over coffee and tea with folks from both the church and larger city of Seattle.  This Sunday at Quest, we get the joy of hearing the stories of several who will be baptized at either the 2nd and 3rd services.

I want to thank those who are tracking with my journey via this blog.  My hope for this blog was not simply to create space for my vomitaceous reflections but to somehow see this medium serve as a connection, conversation, and encouragement to others.

Shalom.

Filed under: family

1. johnnie says:

Hey Eugene. Thanks for sharing some of the stuff that’s going on with your life. It’s true. This blog is a source of good humor, conversations, and encouragement. Keep it up.

2. aaron says:

“vomitaceous”? c’mon, your posts aren’t that bad! 🙂

Thanks for sharing these updates…

3. chrismarlow says:

Eugene,

July 10-12 I will be in Cape Town, SA. We are helping put on a theological think tank with African pastors who are trying to understand culture/church/theology from an African perspective.

Most of these pastors are young 20/30’s and trying to find their way in the midst of traditional denominational structures. If you want more info let me know and I can shoot you an email.

I’m hoping John Chandler will also attend. But I’m not sure.

chris@helpendlocalpoverty.com

4. Matt says:

289 is awesome. just go and do the fitness test on wii. you’ll have a svelte bod in no time.

5. Chad says:

hey man, hang in there. it will all work out (and no, that is not me being cliché)

6. Pete Wilson says:

Praying like crazy for you and your church Eugene.

7. karyn g. says:

hi eugene, we met briefly at aalc, i’m the one from the exodus. i just wanted to drop a line to say ‘hey’ – i usually blog on xanga under karysmania. (but yes, 90% of my posts are ‘protected’) our exodus blog is on xanga too, under exodusla. and then we have this really random blog which is just all the funny and goofy things we say, which is on blogspot. if you just need to laugh.

it’s good to hear what other people are doing, i’m glad the aalc provided that forum. blessings,
    – karyn.

Preach the Gospel at all times and sometimes...use signs.

Really loved this sign from one of our church congregants at the women's march.

Counter cultural. Subversive.
Life giving. Good news. To support both the equality of women and the dignity of the unborn feels like a very lonely place to be but I know we're not alone. May we press on. And may we lead with hope.

I'm at the Women's March in Seattle to show my solidarity with my wife, my mothers, my daughters, and the female congregants of my church. I'm also here to model for my son what we believe in our home. Many people have already expressed their disappointment, dismay, and disgust with my decision. Such is life. We will always disappoint someone. And that's also a lot of words that begin with "d." I'm here not because I agree or disagree with every single statement or sign at this march (although I really liked this one) but because as a Christian, I believe in the fundamental truth that women are fearfully and wonderfully made in the image of God. They are to be valued, heard, and respected.

And because I believe we can't be a flourishing society without the flourishing of women. And because the Church cannot be the Church without the gifts and voices of women. All the gifts of women.

And in doing so, may we together honor the sanctity of life - from womb to tomb. Collaboration.

col·lab·o·ra·tion
kəˌlabəˈrāSH(ə)n/
noun

the action of working with someone or a group of others  to produce or create something.

May we hold our logos, egos, and tribalism have their place. May we hold them loosely for they too shall pass. May we collaborate for the sake of the greater Kingdom of God ... which endures forever. As we honor Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., don't forget the God behind the man. The one true God who deposited this dream into MLK is still speaking to us today. Are we listening?

Be courageous. Be brave.

Being invited by the King Family to speak at the MLK worship service at Ebenezer Baptist Church in 2016 remains one of the most unexpected honors of my life. On the right is his daughter, Dr. Bernice King and his sister, Dr. Christine King Farris. Walking throughstreet markets in different parts of the world is the best. Soaking in the culture. Listening to the local language and music. Enjoying the amazing cuisine. Meeting new friends. Praying for the Gospel to penetrate. #ChiangRai Blessed be the local, indigenous leaders for it is they who live in the very communities they seek to love. For it is they who understand their context and culture...better than a Westerner ever will. For it is they who will continue to tenaciously pursue a better world with hope, justice and love when visitors like me leave.

Yes, blessed be the local, indigenous leaders.

• Preach the Gospel at all times and sometimes...use signs. Countercultural. Subversive. Life giving. Truth. - instagram.com/p/BPlwJneBSiW/ || 4 hours ago
  • Really loved this sign from the women's march from one of our church congregants. Counter cultural. Subversive. L… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 1 day ago
  • To support both the equality of women & the dignity of the unborn can be lonely but we're not alone. Lead with hope: instagram.com/p/BPjMGTOhMjL/ || 1 day ago
  • To support both the equality of women & the dignity of the unborn feels like a very lonely place to be but we're not alone. May we press on. || 1 day ago
  • Going to the Women's March in Seattle bc as a Christian, I believe women are fearfully and wonderfully made and are to be heard & respected. || 1 day ago
  • Christians: May we be guided by the Scriptures that remind us, "Seek first the Kingdom of God" and not, "Seek first the kingdom of America." || 1 day ago