life update

An entry to just share some life stuff to keep folks updated and for those who are compelled in some way – to keep my family and me in thought and prayer.

• Humanitarian Organization or Bust.  My heart is still there but I’ve been struggling and intimidated by the work that needs to go into starting the humanitarian organizationI shared about couple months ago.  But Minhee and I promised we’d focused some time, prayer, and energy on the conviction post Easter and well, it’s post Easter and it’s time to go.  Scared but need to move forward with our goals so will be writing a post or two in the coming weeks.  Still dreaming…
  • Sleepless in Los Angeles.  I just returned from a 2 night trip to Los Angeles to speak at the Asian-American Leadership Conference.  This past Easter weekend – while wonderful – was incredibly taxing on the mind and body.  By the third service on Sunday, I had nearly lost my voice.  Flew down to LA and while the weather was 90 degrees and beautiful, I was too pooped. But, it was a good trip nevertheless.  As usual when I go to these conferences, I enjoyed re-connecting with old friends and meeting new folks.  I also enjoyed shacking a room with Gideon Tsang, pastor at Vox Veniae in Austin, Texas.  We led a workshop together on our ecclesiologies and expressions of our church community.  His facial hair is average but his chat was great.  But glad to be back to Seattle and the 39 degree weather.  What!  Snow and rain in late March?
  • Seattle to Korea.  I have about 3 months left in Seattle before we trek off for our 3 month sabbatical.  We’ll be traveling to Korea and parking there for couple months to use that as our base for some of our reading, research, and reflection.  I am such an idiot.  I discovered recently that I misread the instructions of a sabbatical grant [via the Lilly Foundation] that I was hoping and praying would take care of all our expenses this summer as we traveled for the humanitarian foundation.  Deadline has passed and we are praying through other options but will likely not be able to travel extensively.  I am still praying about the possibility of a trip to Africa in the next few months and a trip to India in September.
  • Exercise and Health.   Aarrgh – not going too well but I did score a 289 in Wii Bowling.  That must count for something.
  • LifeGiving Stuff.  I’m looking forward to couple opportunities to teach in Bellingham and another small conference here in Seattle in couple weeks.  But the aspects that are most life giving has been teaching through the Book of Acts at Quest on Sundays [podcast here] and conversing, conspiring, and dreaming over coffee and tea with folks from both the church and larger city of Seattle.  This Sunday at Quest, we get the joy of hearing the stories of several who will be baptized at either the 2nd and 3rd services.

I want to thank those who are tracking with my journey via this blog.  My hope for this blog was not simply to create space for my vomitaceous reflections but to somehow see this medium serve as a connection, conversation, and encouragement to others.

Shalom.

Filed under: family

1. johnnie says:

Hey Eugene. Thanks for sharing some of the stuff that’s going on with your life. It’s true. This blog is a source of good humor, conversations, and encouragement. Keep it up.

2. aaron says:

“vomitaceous”? c’mon, your posts aren’t that bad! 🙂

Thanks for sharing these updates…

3. chrismarlow says:

Eugene,

July 10-12 I will be in Cape Town, SA. We are helping put on a theological think tank with African pastors who are trying to understand culture/church/theology from an African perspective.

Most of these pastors are young 20/30’s and trying to find their way in the midst of traditional denominational structures. If you want more info let me know and I can shoot you an email.

I’m hoping John Chandler will also attend. But I’m not sure.

chris@helpendlocalpoverty.com

4. Matt says:

289 is awesome. just go and do the fitness test on wii. you’ll have a svelte bod in no time.

5. Chad says:

hey man, hang in there. it will all work out (and no, that is not me being cliché)

6. Pete Wilson says:

Praying like crazy for you and your church Eugene.

7. karyn g. says:

hi eugene, we met briefly at aalc, i’m the one from the exodus. i just wanted to drop a line to say ‘hey’ – i usually blog on xanga under karysmania. (but yes, 90% of my posts are ‘protected’) our exodus blog is on xanga too, under exodusla. and then we have this really random blog which is just all the funny and goofy things we say, which is on blogspot. if you just need to laugh.

it’s good to hear what other people are doing, i’m glad the aalc provided that forum. blessings,
    – karyn.

Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. Thanks for your prayers.
I have numerous stories to share but for now, the following came up in every conversation with Iraqi/Syrian refugees:

1 Have tea with us. Or coffee. Or juice. Or something with lots of sugar in it. Or better yet, all of the above.
2 We want peace. We want security.
3 We hate ISIS.
4 We just want to go home.
5 Please don't forget us.

Please don't forget them... Father, please bless and protect these Iraqi and Syrian "refugee" children that have already endured so much. Protect their hearts and mind from unfathomable trauma. Plant seeds of hope and vision in their lives. And as we pray for them, teach us how to advocate for them. Amen. "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." -  local Iraqi priest whose church has welcomed many "relatives" to their church's property

It's always a privilege to be invited into peoples' home for tea - even if it's a temporary tent. This is an extended Yezidi family that fled the Mosul, Iraq area because of ISIS. It's indeed true that Christians were targeted by ISIS and thatbstory muat be shared but other minority groups like the Yezidis were also targeted. Some of their heartbreaking stories included the kidnapping of their sister. They shared that their father passed away shortly of a "broken heart." The conversation was emotional but afterwards, we asked each other for permission to take photos. Once the selfies came out, the real smiles came out.

So friends: Pray for Iraq. Pray for the persecuted Church. Pray for Christians, minority groups like the Yezidis who fear they will e completely wiped out in the Middle East,, and Muslims alike who are all suffering under ISIS. Friends: I'm traveling in the Middle East this week - Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. (Make sure you follow my pics/stories on IG stories). Specifically, I'm here representing @onedayswages to meet, learn, and listen to pastors, local leaders, NGOs, and of course directly from refugees from within these countries - including many from Syria.

For security purposes, I haven't been able to share at all but I'm now able to start sharing some photos and stories. For now, I'll be sharing numerous photos through my IG stories and will be sharing some longer written pieces in couple months when ODW launches another wave of partnerships to come alongside refugees in these areas. Four of us are traveling together also for the purpose of creating a short documentary that we hope to release early next year.

While I'm on my church sabbatical, it's truly a privilege to be able to come to these countries and to meet local pastors and indigenous leaders that tirelessly pursue peace and justice, and to hear directly from refugees. I've read so many various articles and pieces over the years and I thought I was prepared but it has been jarring, heartbreaking,  and gut wrenching. In the midst of such chaos, there's hope but there's also a lot of questions, too.

I hope you follow along as I share photos, stories, and help release this mini-documentary. Please tag friends that might be interested.

Please pray for safety, for empathy, for humility and integrity, for divine meetings. Pray that we listen well; To be present and not just be a consumer of these vulnerable stories. That's my biggest prayer.

Special thanks to @worldvisionusa and @worldrelief for hosting us on this journey. 9/11
Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.

Today, I had some gut wrenching and heart breaking conversations about war, violence, and peacemaking. Mostly, I listened. Never in my wildest imagination did I envision having these conversations on 9/11 of all days. I wish I could share more now but I hope to later after I process them for a few days.

But indeed: Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.
May it be so. Amen. Mount Rainier is simply epic. There's nothing like flying in and out of Seattle.

#mountrainier
#seattle
#northwestisbest

• Boom. Final fishing trip. Grateful. A nice way to end my 3 month sabbatical. #catchandrelease twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 20 hours ago
  • Christians: May we be guided by the Scriptures that remind us, "Seek first the Kingdom of God" and not, "Seek first the kingdom of America." || 21 hours ago
  • Every convo with Iraqi/Syrian refugees included: 1 Have tea with us 2 We want peace 3 We hate ISIS 4 We want to go home 5 Don't forget us || 3 days ago
  • Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan to assess @OneDaysWages' partnerships & to film mini-documentary on refugee crisis. So many emotions. || 3 days ago
  • Pray for Mexico. For those mourning loved ones. For those fighting for life - even under rubbles. For rescue workers. Lord, in your mercy. || 3 days ago
  • Don't underestimate what God can do through you. God has a very long history of using foolish and broken people for His purposes and glory. || 6 days ago