life update

An entry to just share some life stuff to keep folks updated and for those who are compelled in some way – to keep my family and me in thought and prayer.

• Humanitarian Organization or Bust.  My heart is still there but I’ve been struggling and intimidated by the work that needs to go into starting the humanitarian organizationI shared about couple months ago.  But Minhee and I promised we’d focused some time, prayer, and energy on the conviction post Easter and well, it’s post Easter and it’s time to go.  Scared but need to move forward with our goals so will be writing a post or two in the coming weeks.  Still dreaming…
  • Sleepless in Los Angeles.  I just returned from a 2 night trip to Los Angeles to speak at the Asian-American Leadership Conference.  This past Easter weekend – while wonderful – was incredibly taxing on the mind and body.  By the third service on Sunday, I had nearly lost my voice.  Flew down to LA and while the weather was 90 degrees and beautiful, I was too pooped. But, it was a good trip nevertheless.  As usual when I go to these conferences, I enjoyed re-connecting with old friends and meeting new folks.  I also enjoyed shacking a room with Gideon Tsang, pastor at Vox Veniae in Austin, Texas.  We led a workshop together on our ecclesiologies and expressions of our church community.  His facial hair is average but his chat was great.  But glad to be back to Seattle and the 39 degree weather.  What!  Snow and rain in late March?
  • Seattle to Korea.  I have about 3 months left in Seattle before we trek off for our 3 month sabbatical.  We’ll be traveling to Korea and parking there for couple months to use that as our base for some of our reading, research, and reflection.  I am such an idiot.  I discovered recently that I misread the instructions of a sabbatical grant [via the Lilly Foundation] that I was hoping and praying would take care of all our expenses this summer as we traveled for the humanitarian foundation.  Deadline has passed and we are praying through other options but will likely not be able to travel extensively.  I am still praying about the possibility of a trip to Africa in the next few months and a trip to India in September.
  • Exercise and Health.   Aarrgh – not going too well but I did score a 289 in Wii Bowling.  That must count for something.
  • LifeGiving Stuff.  I’m looking forward to couple opportunities to teach in Bellingham and another small conference here in Seattle in couple weeks.  But the aspects that are most life giving has been teaching through the Book of Acts at Quest on Sundays [podcast here] and conversing, conspiring, and dreaming over coffee and tea with folks from both the church and larger city of Seattle.  This Sunday at Quest, we get the joy of hearing the stories of several who will be baptized at either the 2nd and 3rd services.

I want to thank those who are tracking with my journey via this blog.  My hope for this blog was not simply to create space for my vomitaceous reflections but to somehow see this medium serve as a connection, conversation, and encouragement to others.

Shalom.

Filed under: family

1. johnnie says:

Hey Eugene. Thanks for sharing some of the stuff that’s going on with your life. It’s true. This blog is a source of good humor, conversations, and encouragement. Keep it up.

2. aaron says:

“vomitaceous”? c’mon, your posts aren’t that bad! 🙂

Thanks for sharing these updates…

3. chrismarlow says:

Eugene,

July 10-12 I will be in Cape Town, SA. We are helping put on a theological think tank with African pastors who are trying to understand culture/church/theology from an African perspective.

Most of these pastors are young 20/30’s and trying to find their way in the midst of traditional denominational structures. If you want more info let me know and I can shoot you an email.

I’m hoping John Chandler will also attend. But I’m not sure.

chris@helpendlocalpoverty.com

4. Matt says:

289 is awesome. just go and do the fitness test on wii. you’ll have a svelte bod in no time.

5. Chad says:

hey man, hang in there. it will all work out (and no, that is not me being cliché)

6. Pete Wilson says:

Praying like crazy for you and your church Eugene.

7. karyn g. says:

hi eugene, we met briefly at aalc, i’m the one from the exodus. i just wanted to drop a line to say ‘hey’ – i usually blog on xanga under karysmania. (but yes, 90% of my posts are ‘protected’) our exodus blog is on xanga too, under exodusla. and then we have this really random blog which is just all the funny and goofy things we say, which is on blogspot. if you just need to laugh.

it’s good to hear what other people are doing, i’m glad the aalc provided that forum. blessings,
    – karyn.

"He must become greater; I must become less." - John 3:30 We have to remind ourselves of this truth every day lest we forget:

Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant.

Be faithful.

PS: Also, it helps to get some Vitamin D especially if you live in the rainy Northwest Thank you, Brooklyn, for the reminder. Umm, @jlin7 is a Christian but he wasn't very Christlike with me on the basketball court. He muscled me into the paint, dunked on me, mentioned my momma, and then said, "Stick with preaching." Just kidding. Kind of.

If you haven't heard, Jeremy Lin is donating his one games wages (approximately $140,000) and an additional $100 for every 3 pointer made to support Girls' Empowerment and Education through @onedayswages. That game is this Friday vs the Boston Celtics!

Join his campaign as he's inviting his fans to donate just $7. - http://onedayswages.org/jlin

Did you know that 32 million girls of lower secondary school age are not enrolled in school.

Did you know that every year of secondary school increases a girl’s future earning power by 20 percent.

Did you know that if all girls in Sub-Saharan Africa, South and West Asia had a secondary education, child marriage would fall by 64 percent.

We can't change the entire world but we can impact the lives of one, few, and in some cases...many.

#jeremylin #jlin #linsanity #onedayswages Don't be held captive to either praise or criticism.

Know who you are.
Know what you're about.
Know WHO you serve.

The answer to who you serve makes all the difference... It's the day after International Women's Day - and it's still important to celebrate the contribution of women in our lives, society, and world. As we honor women all around the world, I'm also reminded of how women and children are those who are most deeply impacted by injustice - especially poverty.

Sadly, I have witnessed this reality in too many places. ​In 2012, I traveled to a remote area in Eastern Kenya as part of a @onedayswages response to a famine that struck the Horn of Africa region. This famine impacted nearly 13 million people and according to some sources, took the lives of about 250,000 people. During my trip there, I had the chance of meeting many people but the person that still remains in my memory was a Muslim woman named Sahara.

She was so hospitable in inviting us to her small and temporary home. During our conversation, I learned that ​Sahara traveled 300 kilometers (a little under 200 miles) – some by cart and some by foot – as they sought to escape the worst drought that has impacted East Africa (Kenya, Somalia, and Ethiopia) in the past 60 years.

This is not a misprint.
200.

She traveled about 200 miles on cart and foot. ​And all along, she was ill. If you look closely ​at the photo, you might notice the large lump in her throat - likely a large cancerous tumor.​ She did not travel alone. She traveled with her husband who I was not able to meet because he was staying with one of his five other wives in this polygamist community.  She did not travel alone. She also traveled with her six children – the youngest being about 1 and the oldest being around 8. She had just given birth to her sixth child when they began her journey. Her youngest was severely malnourished when they arrived to this new settlement in a town called Benane.
Sahara and her children all survived this journey. They survived because she persisted.
In honor of Sahara...and so many other women who keep...keeping on.