life update

An entry to just share some life stuff to keep folks updated and for those who are compelled in some way – to keep my family and me in thought and prayer.

• Humanitarian Organization or Bust.  My heart is still there but I’ve been struggling and intimidated by the work that needs to go into starting the humanitarian organizationI shared about couple months ago.  But Minhee and I promised we’d focused some time, prayer, and energy on the conviction post Easter and well, it’s post Easter and it’s time to go.  Scared but need to move forward with our goals so will be writing a post or two in the coming weeks.  Still dreaming…
  • Sleepless in Los Angeles.  I just returned from a 2 night trip to Los Angeles to speak at the Asian-American Leadership Conference.  This past Easter weekend – while wonderful – was incredibly taxing on the mind and body.  By the third service on Sunday, I had nearly lost my voice.  Flew down to LA and while the weather was 90 degrees and beautiful, I was too pooped. But, it was a good trip nevertheless.  As usual when I go to these conferences, I enjoyed re-connecting with old friends and meeting new folks.  I also enjoyed shacking a room with Gideon Tsang, pastor at Vox Veniae in Austin, Texas.  We led a workshop together on our ecclesiologies and expressions of our church community.  His facial hair is average but his chat was great.  But glad to be back to Seattle and the 39 degree weather.  What!  Snow and rain in late March?
  • Seattle to Korea.  I have about 3 months left in Seattle before we trek off for our 3 month sabbatical.  We’ll be traveling to Korea and parking there for couple months to use that as our base for some of our reading, research, and reflection.  I am such an idiot.  I discovered recently that I misread the instructions of a sabbatical grant [via the Lilly Foundation] that I was hoping and praying would take care of all our expenses this summer as we traveled for the humanitarian foundation.  Deadline has passed and we are praying through other options but will likely not be able to travel extensively.  I am still praying about the possibility of a trip to Africa in the next few months and a trip to India in September.
  • Exercise and Health.   Aarrgh – not going too well but I did score a 289 in Wii Bowling.  That must count for something.
  • LifeGiving Stuff.  I’m looking forward to couple opportunities to teach in Bellingham and another small conference here in Seattle in couple weeks.  But the aspects that are most life giving has been teaching through the Book of Acts at Quest on Sundays [podcast here] and conversing, conspiring, and dreaming over coffee and tea with folks from both the church and larger city of Seattle.  This Sunday at Quest, we get the joy of hearing the stories of several who will be baptized at either the 2nd and 3rd services.

I want to thank those who are tracking with my journey via this blog.  My hope for this blog was not simply to create space for my vomitaceous reflections but to somehow see this medium serve as a connection, conversation, and encouragement to others.

Shalom.

Filed under: family

1. johnnie says:

Hey Eugene. Thanks for sharing some of the stuff that’s going on with your life. It’s true. This blog is a source of good humor, conversations, and encouragement. Keep it up.

2. aaron says:

“vomitaceous”? c’mon, your posts aren’t that bad! 🙂

Thanks for sharing these updates…

3. chrismarlow says:

Eugene,

July 10-12 I will be in Cape Town, SA. We are helping put on a theological think tank with African pastors who are trying to understand culture/church/theology from an African perspective.

Most of these pastors are young 20/30’s and trying to find their way in the midst of traditional denominational structures. If you want more info let me know and I can shoot you an email.

I’m hoping John Chandler will also attend. But I’m not sure.

chris@helpendlocalpoverty.com

4. Matt says:

289 is awesome. just go and do the fitness test on wii. you’ll have a svelte bod in no time.

5. Chad says:

hey man, hang in there. it will all work out (and no, that is not me being cliché)

6. Pete Wilson says:

Praying like crazy for you and your church Eugene.

7. karyn g. says:

hi eugene, we met briefly at aalc, i’m the one from the exodus. i just wanted to drop a line to say ‘hey’ – i usually blog on xanga under karysmania. (but yes, 90% of my posts are ‘protected’) our exodus blog is on xanga too, under exodusla. and then we have this really random blog which is just all the funny and goofy things we say, which is on blogspot. if you just need to laugh.

it’s good to hear what other people are doing, i’m glad the aalc provided that forum. blessings,
    – karyn.

Window seat. For the win. As leaders, we must not see ministry and family as competing commitments.  We must not sacrifice our marriage and kids for the sake of "ministry." How can we? Loving our families IS ministry & good leadership.

And on a side note, we took this goofy photo for Mother's Day last Sunday at @seattlequest. I was shocked! What in the world happened to our kids? Our 13 year old son blocked four of my shots on the basketball court yesterday. He's since been grounded... I fear that we ask God to move mountains, forgetting that God also wants to move us.

In fact, it's possible that we are that mountain. Time flies. The eldest is wrapping up her 1st year in college and the college tours have begun for the 2nd child. The youngest enters high school in the Fall. Can't say enough about how proud Minhee and I are of the kids - not just of their accomplishments but the people they are and are becoming.

But...man...we can't wait to party it up when we're emptynesters. Party at our house. It's going to be epic. Humbled. Grateful. Mindful of God's grace and faithfulness in my life. It's all grace... It's an unexpected honor to be invited back - even with some mini-drama - to @princetonseminary to receive the 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award - exactly 25 years after starting my journey there as a student in 1992. Wow.

Princeton isn't necessarily for everyone. And to say that I loved everything about my experience would be misleading but it was very formative. Ir challenged me to examine why I believed in what I believed. It reminded me that God could handle my questions. It prepared me for a post-Christian context where I am not entitled to be heard but I had to earn the right to be heard, and of course, it taught me that all is good with a Philly cheese steak at Hoagie Haven.

No one is an island to themselves and I am certainly an example of that. Many people - women and men, young and old, and of many backgrounds - prayed, encouraged, mentored, and loved me along the way. Grateful for my professors at seminary, my many classmates, and the numerous fellow staff and co-laborers I've had the privilege of serving Christ with past and present. And of course, I'm forever inspired by my parents, my children, and my wife, Minhee. Thank you for your faith, hope, and love...and oh, for your patience. Only your family will know and see both the best and worst of you. They've seen my worst...and keep on believing in me.

Thank you again, PTS and President Barnes, for this honor. Then, today, and tomorrow...by God's grace, just striving to be faithful to my Lord and Savior...to preach and live out the convictions of the whole Gospel. Amen. So humbled and grateful to be with @catalystleader in Cincinnati to encourage leaders from all around the country about the invitation to Uncommon Fellowship.

Preached from John 4. We can talk, preach, sing, philsophize, liturgize, and spit rhymes about Samaria...but we still have to talk through Samaria.

• "They got money for wars but can't feed the poor." ~ Tupac #trumpbudget || 18 hours ago
  • Heartbroken. Praying for Manchester & the UK. For those mourning loved ones. For those injured and fighting for life. Lord, in your mercy. || 2 days ago
  • Window seat. For the win. https://t.co/yG66Sm2bvu || 4 days ago
  • As leaders, we must not sacrifice our family for the sake of ministry because loving our family IS good leadership: instagram.com/p/BUVAGVwg-5z/ || 4 days ago
  • We long for a Gospel that comforts but resist the Gospel that disrupts. Having the former without the latter seduces us into complacency. || 4 days ago
  • Love wins in the end but in the meanwhile,it fights for things that matter. Love isn't sentimental. It's both gentle & fierce. Love endures. || 5 days ago