child [car wash] abuse?

As a parent, I believe in the commitment and importance of [lovingly but firmly disciplining your children.  As a parent of three, what you believe in your heart and on paper doesn’t always translate in real life.  And I confess that it’s easy to lose control of your emotions.  I absolutely hate when I allow myself to be in that situation.  There is no excuse.

So, I do understand when other parents get frustrated but there are certain lines you cannot cross and this is one of them.  No matter how frustrated you get, you cannot hose down your child with a high pressure car washer hose.  The mother said she did it because the child was throwing a tantrum and that the hose wasn’t on full blast and that “it isn’t as bad as it looks.”  Umm, it looks really bad.

You can view the entire surveillance footage here.

Security cameras caught a strange case of child abuse in a car wash bay at the Magical Car Wash in Orlando. They show a woman spraying a toddler with a high pressure hose while another woman watches. The footage shows the toddler attempt to run away, but she is grabbed and pinned to the wall as she is prayed on the legs, back and even her face. The manager of the car wash didn’t see the abuse until she watched the footage, but she did hear the little girl crying after the incident. She also heard the woman state, “You’re going to learn to respect me. You don’t treat me bad. You don’t mistreat me; I’m your mother.” Footage also shows the girl being stripped naked, while the two women grabbed a towel and put her back in the car. Once investigators locate the women, they said the mother will likely face child abuse charges.

Is this child abuse? Clearly.  What would Judge Judy say?  I don’t know but I don’t want to crucify the mother.  She’s already received plenty of ‘shame’ with this video so my suggestions would be: No jail time but in depth counseling and care for both the child and mother [and father] to ensure that nothing like this ever happens again.  Mother is currently pregnant with 2nd child.

Last week, the visual parenting advice seemed funny.  Now, not so funny.

baby2.jpg

Filed under: family

1. Capt Ralph says:

Please, I can only hope and assume it was NOT on high. There are multliple settings. Things aren’t always as they seem, and I want to think best.

2. Andrea says:

Sadly this does not shock me anymore. Parents very rarely face any criminal charges for child abuse. Maybe if they did it would occur less frequently.

3. Leah says:

Oh – by the title, I feared you may be referring to me: my three-year-old breaks down in tears every time I go through the car wash. He has finally compensated by throwing a blanket over his head, closing his eyes, holding his stuffed puppy, and holding his big brother’s hand….but sometimes one of the above is unavailable and unsatisfactory.

Sometimes the only time to get my van washed is when I have the kids…so I do it. My son recovers quickly, but I still feel a bit guilty.

…I couldn’t even watch the video. Stuff like that is so piercing. Because of the cruelty of it, and also because I know deep down, the line dividing me from that mom is so very very thin.

4. dennis says:

I actually think the person should spend time in jail. Why? What if something happened to the little girl? That would be a crime, right? While it wasn’t her intent to hurt her daughter, the possibility was there.

This is an example. No one shakes their infant/child to hurt them but it nevertheless is possible and there should be consequences.

5. Melissa says:

A problem with ‘consequences’ for child abuse is what to do with children when you incarcerate their parents. Foster care is often severely lacking, sometimes even worse than the original situation. Taking a child out of their birth family is the worst, last option possible. This case may be bad enough to warrant that, but if it is, the threat of jail time wouldn’t have prevented it. Child abuse happens when families are sick, and parents with those kinds of issues aren’t able to stop just because someone threatens to send them to jail.

A family showing behavior like that is a family in trouble. The mother needs counseling, and the girl needs a mother who is healthy and whole.

6. Ben says:

i can’t get myself to watch it

7. Ryanbd says:

Yeah, I’m with Ben. I can’t watch this garbage. My experience in working with kids who’ve been abused and their parents is that if this is what happens in public, worse stuff happens when no one can see. I pray that woman is shocked by seeing herself like this and realizes she needs help. I also am always a little disturbed when television news decides to air the actual footage. Maybe I’m cynical about motives but I always remember the newsroom quote, “If it bleeds, it leads.”

8. MJ says:

I think this is a case where it looks much worse than it probably is. Anybody who has been to one of those car washes, know how powerful the high pressure is. I can’t even hold the hose steady with one arm. But I also know that they have a very low pressure mist function. The women’s arm doesn’t move, the spray is extremely dispersed, and of course her own account backs up that she was using the low pressure (and checks it on her hand first to make sure before spraying her child). While I don’t think spraying a child is a good discipline technique, that low pressure mist isn’t going to cause any physical harm, so I don’t think it is child abuse. Just bad judgment.

9. darrell williams says:

Child abuse or not?
    This is not the way to teach a child how to mind.It is however how to teach it to become a abuser .
    She said “you will not treat me bad” what is spraying a child with a car wash hose called,good treatment.
    Most likely not the first time the child has been disciplined in the wrong manner.
    It is a case of child abuse,what happens when this child is at home?
    If we were able to use our own method of calming someone out of control, some one walking by seeing a woman spraying a child with a car wash hose and say they are out of control.Well I use a open hand slap to the face and then I choke them until I decide they are no longer out of control.
    She said she was using the hose to gain control—fair is fair.

10. Meghan says:

To the mom’s credit, she called the police after she saw the footage on TV so that’s a good thing. But regardless, while we’re arguing the technicalities if this was child abuse or not, this SHOULD NOT have happened. Period.

11. Meghan says:

Here’s the article that states that she was charged for child abuse and released on $1000 bail.

"He must become greater; I must become less." - John 3:30 We have to remind ourselves of this truth every day lest we forget:

Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant.

Be faithful.

PS: Also, it helps to get some Vitamin D especially if you live in the rainy Northwest Thank you, Brooklyn, for the reminder. Umm, @jlin7 is a Christian but he wasn't very Christlike with me on the basketball court. He muscled me into the paint, dunked on me, mentioned my momma, and then said, "Stick with preaching." Just kidding. Kind of.

If you haven't heard, Jeremy Lin is donating his one games wages (approximately $140,000) and an additional $100 for every 3 pointer made to support Girls' Empowerment and Education through @onedayswages. That game is this Friday vs the Boston Celtics!

Join his campaign as he's inviting his fans to donate just $7. - http://onedayswages.org/jlin

Did you know that 32 million girls of lower secondary school age are not enrolled in school.

Did you know that every year of secondary school increases a girl’s future earning power by 20 percent.

Did you know that if all girls in Sub-Saharan Africa, South and West Asia had a secondary education, child marriage would fall by 64 percent.

We can't change the entire world but we can impact the lives of one, few, and in some cases...many.

#jeremylin #jlin #linsanity #onedayswages Don't be held captive to either praise or criticism.

Know who you are.
Know what you're about.
Know WHO you serve.

The answer to who you serve makes all the difference... It's the day after International Women's Day - and it's still important to celebrate the contribution of women in our lives, society, and world. As we honor women all around the world, I'm also reminded of how women and children are those who are most deeply impacted by injustice - especially poverty.

Sadly, I have witnessed this reality in too many places. ​In 2012, I traveled to a remote area in Eastern Kenya as part of a @onedayswages response to a famine that struck the Horn of Africa region. This famine impacted nearly 13 million people and according to some sources, took the lives of about 250,000 people. During my trip there, I had the chance of meeting many people but the person that still remains in my memory was a Muslim woman named Sahara.

She was so hospitable in inviting us to her small and temporary home. During our conversation, I learned that ​Sahara traveled 300 kilometers (a little under 200 miles) – some by cart and some by foot – as they sought to escape the worst drought that has impacted East Africa (Kenya, Somalia, and Ethiopia) in the past 60 years.

This is not a misprint.
200.

She traveled about 200 miles on cart and foot. ​And all along, she was ill. If you look closely ​at the photo, you might notice the large lump in her throat - likely a large cancerous tumor.​ She did not travel alone. She traveled with her husband who I was not able to meet because he was staying with one of his five other wives in this polygamist community.  She did not travel alone. She also traveled with her six children – the youngest being about 1 and the oldest being around 8. She had just given birth to her sixth child when they began her journey. Her youngest was severely malnourished when they arrived to this new settlement in a town called Benane.
Sahara and her children all survived this journey. They survived because she persisted.
In honor of Sahara...and so many other women who keep...keeping on.