child [car wash] abuse?

As a parent, I believe in the commitment and importance of [lovingly but firmly disciplining your children.  As a parent of three, what you believe in your heart and on paper doesn’t always translate in real life.  And I confess that it’s easy to lose control of your emotions.  I absolutely hate when I allow myself to be in that situation.  There is no excuse.

So, I do understand when other parents get frustrated but there are certain lines you cannot cross and this is one of them.  No matter how frustrated you get, you cannot hose down your child with a high pressure car washer hose.  The mother said she did it because the child was throwing a tantrum and that the hose wasn’t on full blast and that “it isn’t as bad as it looks.”  Umm, it looks really bad.

You can view the entire surveillance footage here.

Security cameras caught a strange case of child abuse in a car wash bay at the Magical Car Wash in Orlando. They show a woman spraying a toddler with a high pressure hose while another woman watches. The footage shows the toddler attempt to run away, but she is grabbed and pinned to the wall as she is prayed on the legs, back and even her face. The manager of the car wash didn’t see the abuse until she watched the footage, but she did hear the little girl crying after the incident. She also heard the woman state, “You’re going to learn to respect me. You don’t treat me bad. You don’t mistreat me; I’m your mother.” Footage also shows the girl being stripped naked, while the two women grabbed a towel and put her back in the car. Once investigators locate the women, they said the mother will likely face child abuse charges.

Is this child abuse? Clearly.  What would Judge Judy say?  I don’t know but I don’t want to crucify the mother.  She’s already received plenty of ‘shame’ with this video so my suggestions would be: No jail time but in depth counseling and care for both the child and mother [and father] to ensure that nothing like this ever happens again.  Mother is currently pregnant with 2nd child.

Last week, the visual parenting advice seemed funny.  Now, not so funny.

baby2.jpg

Filed under: family

1. Capt Ralph says:

Please, I can only hope and assume it was NOT on high. There are multliple settings. Things aren’t always as they seem, and I want to think best.

2. Andrea says:

Sadly this does not shock me anymore. Parents very rarely face any criminal charges for child abuse. Maybe if they did it would occur less frequently.

3. Leah says:

Oh – by the title, I feared you may be referring to me: my three-year-old breaks down in tears every time I go through the car wash. He has finally compensated by throwing a blanket over his head, closing his eyes, holding his stuffed puppy, and holding his big brother’s hand….but sometimes one of the above is unavailable and unsatisfactory.

Sometimes the only time to get my van washed is when I have the kids…so I do it. My son recovers quickly, but I still feel a bit guilty.

…I couldn’t even watch the video. Stuff like that is so piercing. Because of the cruelty of it, and also because I know deep down, the line dividing me from that mom is so very very thin.

4. dennis says:

I actually think the person should spend time in jail. Why? What if something happened to the little girl? That would be a crime, right? While it wasn’t her intent to hurt her daughter, the possibility was there.

This is an example. No one shakes their infant/child to hurt them but it nevertheless is possible and there should be consequences.

5. Melissa says:

A problem with ‘consequences’ for child abuse is what to do with children when you incarcerate their parents. Foster care is often severely lacking, sometimes even worse than the original situation. Taking a child out of their birth family is the worst, last option possible. This case may be bad enough to warrant that, but if it is, the threat of jail time wouldn’t have prevented it. Child abuse happens when families are sick, and parents with those kinds of issues aren’t able to stop just because someone threatens to send them to jail.

A family showing behavior like that is a family in trouble. The mother needs counseling, and the girl needs a mother who is healthy and whole.

6. Ben says:

i can’t get myself to watch it

7. Ryanbd says:

Yeah, I’m with Ben. I can’t watch this garbage. My experience in working with kids who’ve been abused and their parents is that if this is what happens in public, worse stuff happens when no one can see. I pray that woman is shocked by seeing herself like this and realizes she needs help. I also am always a little disturbed when television news decides to air the actual footage. Maybe I’m cynical about motives but I always remember the newsroom quote, “If it bleeds, it leads.”

8. MJ says:

I think this is a case where it looks much worse than it probably is. Anybody who has been to one of those car washes, know how powerful the high pressure is. I can’t even hold the hose steady with one arm. But I also know that they have a very low pressure mist function. The women’s arm doesn’t move, the spray is extremely dispersed, and of course her own account backs up that she was using the low pressure (and checks it on her hand first to make sure before spraying her child). While I don’t think spraying a child is a good discipline technique, that low pressure mist isn’t going to cause any physical harm, so I don’t think it is child abuse. Just bad judgment.

9. darrell williams says:

Child abuse or not?
    This is not the way to teach a child how to mind.It is however how to teach it to become a abuser .
    She said “you will not treat me bad” what is spraying a child with a car wash hose called,good treatment.
    Most likely not the first time the child has been disciplined in the wrong manner.
    It is a case of child abuse,what happens when this child is at home?
    If we were able to use our own method of calming someone out of control, some one walking by seeing a woman spraying a child with a car wash hose and say they are out of control.Well I use a open hand slap to the face and then I choke them until I decide they are no longer out of control.
    She said she was using the hose to gain control—fair is fair.

10. Meghan says:

To the mom’s credit, she called the police after she saw the footage on TV so that’s a good thing. But regardless, while we’re arguing the technicalities if this was child abuse or not, this SHOULD NOT have happened. Period.

11. Meghan says:

Here’s the article that states that she was charged for child abuse and released on $1000 bail.

Window seat. For the win. As leaders, we must not see ministry and family as competing commitments.  We must not sacrifice our marriage and kids for the sake of "ministry." How can we? Loving our families IS ministry & good leadership.

And on a side note, we took this goofy photo for Mother's Day last Sunday at @seattlequest. I was shocked! What in the world happened to our kids? Our 13 year old son blocked four of my shots on the basketball court yesterday. He's since been grounded... I fear that we ask God to move mountains, forgetting that God also wants to move us.

In fact, it's possible that we are that mountain. Time flies. The eldest is wrapping up her 1st year in college and the college tours have begun for the 2nd child. The youngest enters high school in the Fall. Can't say enough about how proud Minhee and I are of the kids - not just of their accomplishments but the people they are and are becoming.

But...man...we can't wait to party it up when we're emptynesters. Party at our house. It's going to be epic. Humbled. Grateful. Mindful of God's grace and faithfulness in my life. It's all grace... It's an unexpected honor to be invited back - even with some mini-drama - to @princetonseminary to receive the 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award - exactly 25 years after starting my journey there as a student in 1992. Wow.

Princeton isn't necessarily for everyone. And to say that I loved everything about my experience would be misleading but it was very formative. Ir challenged me to examine why I believed in what I believed. It reminded me that God could handle my questions. It prepared me for a post-Christian context where I am not entitled to be heard but I had to earn the right to be heard, and of course, it taught me that all is good with a Philly cheese steak at Hoagie Haven.

No one is an island to themselves and I am certainly an example of that. Many people - women and men, young and old, and of many backgrounds - prayed, encouraged, mentored, and loved me along the way. Grateful for my professors at seminary, my many classmates, and the numerous fellow staff and co-laborers I've had the privilege of serving Christ with past and present. And of course, I'm forever inspired by my parents, my children, and my wife, Minhee. Thank you for your faith, hope, and love...and oh, for your patience. Only your family will know and see both the best and worst of you. They've seen my worst...and keep on believing in me.

Thank you again, PTS and President Barnes, for this honor. Then, today, and tomorrow...by God's grace, just striving to be faithful to my Lord and Savior...to preach and live out the convictions of the whole Gospel. Amen. So humbled and grateful to be with @catalystleader in Cincinnati to encourage leaders from all around the country about the invitation to Uncommon Fellowship.

Preached from John 4. We can talk, preach, sing, philsophize, liturgize, and spit rhymes about Samaria...but we still have to talk through Samaria.

• "They got money for wars but can't feed the poor." ~ Tupac #trumpbudget || 2 days ago
  • Heartbroken. Praying for Manchester & the UK. For those mourning loved ones. For those injured and fighting for life. Lord, in your mercy. || 3 days ago
  • Window seat. For the win. https://t.co/yG66Sm2bvu || 5 days ago
  • As leaders, we must not sacrifice our family for the sake of ministry because loving our family IS good leadership: instagram.com/p/BUVAGVwg-5z/ || 5 days ago
  • We long for a Gospel that comforts but resist the Gospel that disrupts. Having the former without the latter seduces us into complacency. || 5 days ago
  • Love wins in the end but in the meanwhile,it fights for things that matter. Love isn't sentimental. It's both gentle & fierce. Love endures. || 1 week ago