child [car wash] abuse?

As a parent, I believe in the commitment and importance of [lovingly but firmly disciplining your children.  As a parent of three, what you believe in your heart and on paper doesn’t always translate in real life.  And I confess that it’s easy to lose control of your emotions.  I absolutely hate when I allow myself to be in that situation.  There is no excuse.

So, I do understand when other parents get frustrated but there are certain lines you cannot cross and this is one of them.  No matter how frustrated you get, you cannot hose down your child with a high pressure car washer hose.  The mother said she did it because the child was throwing a tantrum and that the hose wasn’t on full blast and that “it isn’t as bad as it looks.”  Umm, it looks really bad.

You can view the entire surveillance footage here.

Security cameras caught a strange case of child abuse in a car wash bay at the Magical Car Wash in Orlando. They show a woman spraying a toddler with a high pressure hose while another woman watches. The footage shows the toddler attempt to run away, but she is grabbed and pinned to the wall as she is prayed on the legs, back and even her face. The manager of the car wash didn’t see the abuse until she watched the footage, but she did hear the little girl crying after the incident. She also heard the woman state, “You’re going to learn to respect me. You don’t treat me bad. You don’t mistreat me; I’m your mother.” Footage also shows the girl being stripped naked, while the two women grabbed a towel and put her back in the car. Once investigators locate the women, they said the mother will likely face child abuse charges.

Is this child abuse? Clearly.  What would Judge Judy say?  I don’t know but I don’t want to crucify the mother.  She’s already received plenty of ‘shame’ with this video so my suggestions would be: No jail time but in depth counseling and care for both the child and mother [and father] to ensure that nothing like this ever happens again.  Mother is currently pregnant with 2nd child.

Last week, the visual parenting advice seemed funny.  Now, not so funny.

baby2.jpg

Filed under: family

1. Capt Ralph says:

Please, I can only hope and assume it was NOT on high. There are multliple settings. Things aren’t always as they seem, and I want to think best.

2. Andrea says:

Sadly this does not shock me anymore. Parents very rarely face any criminal charges for child abuse. Maybe if they did it would occur less frequently.

3. Leah says:

Oh – by the title, I feared you may be referring to me: my three-year-old breaks down in tears every time I go through the car wash. He has finally compensated by throwing a blanket over his head, closing his eyes, holding his stuffed puppy, and holding his big brother’s hand….but sometimes one of the above is unavailable and unsatisfactory.

Sometimes the only time to get my van washed is when I have the kids…so I do it. My son recovers quickly, but I still feel a bit guilty.

…I couldn’t even watch the video. Stuff like that is so piercing. Because of the cruelty of it, and also because I know deep down, the line dividing me from that mom is so very very thin.

4. dennis says:

I actually think the person should spend time in jail. Why? What if something happened to the little girl? That would be a crime, right? While it wasn’t her intent to hurt her daughter, the possibility was there.

This is an example. No one shakes their infant/child to hurt them but it nevertheless is possible and there should be consequences.

5. Melissa says:

A problem with ‘consequences’ for child abuse is what to do with children when you incarcerate their parents. Foster care is often severely lacking, sometimes even worse than the original situation. Taking a child out of their birth family is the worst, last option possible. This case may be bad enough to warrant that, but if it is, the threat of jail time wouldn’t have prevented it. Child abuse happens when families are sick, and parents with those kinds of issues aren’t able to stop just because someone threatens to send them to jail.

A family showing behavior like that is a family in trouble. The mother needs counseling, and the girl needs a mother who is healthy and whole.

6. Ben says:

i can’t get myself to watch it

7. Ryanbd says:

Yeah, I’m with Ben. I can’t watch this garbage. My experience in working with kids who’ve been abused and their parents is that if this is what happens in public, worse stuff happens when no one can see. I pray that woman is shocked by seeing herself like this and realizes she needs help. I also am always a little disturbed when television news decides to air the actual footage. Maybe I’m cynical about motives but I always remember the newsroom quote, “If it bleeds, it leads.”

8. MJ says:

I think this is a case where it looks much worse than it probably is. Anybody who has been to one of those car washes, know how powerful the high pressure is. I can’t even hold the hose steady with one arm. But I also know that they have a very low pressure mist function. The women’s arm doesn’t move, the spray is extremely dispersed, and of course her own account backs up that she was using the low pressure (and checks it on her hand first to make sure before spraying her child). While I don’t think spraying a child is a good discipline technique, that low pressure mist isn’t going to cause any physical harm, so I don’t think it is child abuse. Just bad judgment.

9. darrell williams says:

Child abuse or not?
    This is not the way to teach a child how to mind.It is however how to teach it to become a abuser .
    She said “you will not treat me bad” what is spraying a child with a car wash hose called,good treatment.
    Most likely not the first time the child has been disciplined in the wrong manner.
    It is a case of child abuse,what happens when this child is at home?
    If we were able to use our own method of calming someone out of control, some one walking by seeing a woman spraying a child with a car wash hose and say they are out of control.Well I use a open hand slap to the face and then I choke them until I decide they are no longer out of control.
    She said she was using the hose to gain control—fair is fair.

10. Meghan says:

To the mom’s credit, she called the police after she saw the footage on TV so that’s a good thing. But regardless, while we’re arguing the technicalities if this was child abuse or not, this SHOULD NOT have happened. Period.

11. Meghan says:

Here’s the article that states that she was charged for child abuse and released on $1000 bail.

#notetoself (and maybe helpful for someone else)

At times, we have to say ‘NO’ to good things to say ‘YES’ to the most important things.

We can't do it all.
Pray and choose wisely.
Then invest deeply. May our compassion not just be limited to the West or to those that look like us. Lifting up the people of Iraq, Iran, and Kurdistan in prayer after the 7.3 earthquake - including the many new friends I met on a recent trip to Iraq.

The death toll rises to over 400 and over 7,000 injured in multiple cities and hundreds of villages along the Western border with Iraq.

Lord, in your mercy... We are reminded again and again...that we are Resurrection People living in a Dark Friday world.

It's been a tough, emotional, and painful week - especially as we lament the horrible tragedy of the church shootings at Sutherland Springs. In the midst of this lament, I've been carried by the hope, beauty, and promise of our baptisms last Sunday and the raw and honest testimonies of God's mercy, love, and grace.

Indeed, God is not yet done. May we take heart for Christ has overcome the world. "Without genuine relationships with the poor, we rob them of their dignity and they become mere projects. And God did not intend for anyone to become our projects." Grateful this quote from my book, Overrated, is resonating with so many folks - individuals and  NGOs. / design by @preemptivelove .
May we keep working
on ourselves
even as we seek
to change the world.
To be about the latter
without the former
is the great temptation
of our times. Minhee and I are filled with gratitude as we reflect on the @onedayswages gala last night. So many friends and guests came to support our work...and of course, our scrappy staff, interns, and board. In 8 years, we've impacted 561,000 people around the world that are living in extreme poverty and vulnerable situations. This year, we are expecting to have our largest investment of grants at $1.3 million! Over the next couple weeks, I'm going to share some of those stories of impact.

But we need your help to keep growing this work. Because our pledge is for 100% of all donations to go directly to our partnerships, we're asking folks from around the world to consider becoming one of core supporters by simply pledging $25/month to support our operations. Go to give.onedayswages.org for more info.

photo: @vinylee