kool aid at the microsoft empire

Calling all Microsofters: I’m headed over to the Eastside to join y’all tomorrow for the monthly lunch fellowship for Questers that work for the Man called Microsoft.  It’s at Noon @ Cafe 9 [March 7].  If you want to join, let me know and I’ll send you the contact person and his email address at gmail.com.  Just kidding.  I am excited to share in some fellowship but not as excited as this man:

Seriously, I’m encouraged because this is another venue for connection for people within our church community.  It may not be a “deep” fellowship but still allows for connections and fellowship.  This began last year when we realized that we had numerous folks working at Microsoft that had no idea that they were working in the same company.  Granted, Microsoft has about a billion employees.

Because there’s critical mass [6+ people] I’d be happy to make connections and send out the initial emails but would love to see monthly gatherings take place at the following places:

Starbucks – If this gets started, I’ll be there the first meeting with my Starbucks mug and shirt.  I think we have at least 5 folks @ headquarters and about 20 baristas.  No joke.

Mars Hill Graduate School – we have MHGS wanna be therapists all over the place at Quest.  Don’t look at them directly in the eyes.  They’ll probe and make you cry.  At least a dozen students – in both counseling and the MDiv program.  At least.

Seattle Pacific University – There’s about 10 of you that work there as administrators and professors.  We’ve tried to meet before but really think it’ll be good for folks to get together once/month.

Social Justice/Non-Profits – Not a specific organization but this is probably the largest group at Quest.  Many folks are working at various non-profits and might be great if you can get together once/month to chat, dream, and encourage one another.  It’s also possible that this might be what DeAnza [one of our quest pastors] is planning on doing at the first Quest Justice Compassion focus group.

Web 2.0/Entrepreneurs – I know you’re out there trying to create the next big social networking site.  I have a few ideas myself:  Q Harmony, YourSpace, MeTube, and BodyBook.  Once/month meeting during a weekday morning at Q Cafe to share ideas, dreams, and networking?

Artists, painters, musicians, poets, etc.  It’s Seattle…everyone is an artist.

Are there other possible groups?  My hope for such meetings isn’t simply for networking but also to build and encourage the body of Christ.  If you’re interested in being the primary contact person for any of the groups above or you have other ideas, let me know.

Filed under: religion,

1. leochen says:

Dude! Q Harmony is taken! =) Kidding.

How about medical related folks? RN, OT, PT, Pre-RN/MD, MD, DD. I think there are a whole bunch of us at Q.

2. David says:

Yeah, I would meet up with medical related folks. Or UW folks. It seems like there would be a bunch, but maybe there’s not as many UW students/staff.

3. Jennifer says:

It would be a blast to meet up with you and the MHGS students.

4. djecclesia says:

PE, redmond campus?

5. me says:

yup, redmond campus.

6. Joe says:

i’m all about meeting up with the web and design geeks! 🙂

7. Jeff Lam says:

there’s also a good number of folks in the field of education… i can think of quite a few off the top of my head..

8. Jessie says:

Yes! Let’s have a Starbucks group please!!

9. me says:

Jeff: Absolutley right. There are lots of teachers and educators at Quest. That would be a sweet meeting.

Jessie: You willing to be the contact person?

10. Capt Ralph says:

This is an exciting connection! I am all for it. Where do the boat captains meet? Seriously, you are going to hear me “harp” on this. I would like to see connections with other Covenanters – and Starbucks would be an easy start. My cousin from 1st Cov downtown works at headquarters. Is that a possibility?

11. Nathan says:

Hey – looking forward to lunch.

And as far as the video goes…I hope you don’t start emulating Ballmer’s motivational style. That might be a bit much, especially for the 5:00. On the other hand, he just may save the Sonics:

12. me says:

nathan: you lurker!

i think the 5pm needs a little ballmer.

13. Rebecca says:

Um, I think the 5pm will be just fine. Thanks.

Window seat. For the win. As leaders, we must not see ministry and family as competing commitments.  We must not sacrifice our marriage and kids for the sake of "ministry." How can we? Loving our families IS ministry & good leadership.

And on a side note, we took this goofy photo for Mother's Day last Sunday at @seattlequest. I was shocked! What in the world happened to our kids? Our 13 year old son blocked four of my shots on the basketball court yesterday. He's since been grounded... I fear that we ask God to move mountains, forgetting that God also wants to move us.

In fact, it's possible that we are that mountain. Time flies. The eldest is wrapping up her 1st year in college and the college tours have begun for the 2nd child. The youngest enters high school in the Fall. Can't say enough about how proud Minhee and I are of the kids - not just of their accomplishments but the people they are and are becoming.

But...man...we can't wait to party it up when we're emptynesters. Party at our house. It's going to be epic. Humbled. Grateful. Mindful of God's grace and faithfulness in my life. It's all grace... It's an unexpected honor to be invited back - even with some mini-drama - to @princetonseminary to receive the 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award - exactly 25 years after starting my journey there as a student in 1992. Wow.

Princeton isn't necessarily for everyone. And to say that I loved everything about my experience would be misleading but it was very formative. Ir challenged me to examine why I believed in what I believed. It reminded me that God could handle my questions. It prepared me for a post-Christian context where I am not entitled to be heard but I had to earn the right to be heard, and of course, it taught me that all is good with a Philly cheese steak at Hoagie Haven.

No one is an island to themselves and I am certainly an example of that. Many people - women and men, young and old, and of many backgrounds - prayed, encouraged, mentored, and loved me along the way. Grateful for my professors at seminary, my many classmates, and the numerous fellow staff and co-laborers I've had the privilege of serving Christ with past and present. And of course, I'm forever inspired by my parents, my children, and my wife, Minhee. Thank you for your faith, hope, and love...and oh, for your patience. Only your family will know and see both the best and worst of you. They've seen my worst...and keep on believing in me.

Thank you again, PTS and President Barnes, for this honor. Then, today, and tomorrow...by God's grace, just striving to be faithful to my Lord and Savior...to preach and live out the convictions of the whole Gospel. Amen. So humbled and grateful to be with @catalystleader in Cincinnati to encourage leaders from all around the country about the invitation to Uncommon Fellowship.

Preached from John 4. We can talk, preach, sing, philsophize, liturgize, and spit rhymes about Samaria...but we still have to talk through Samaria.

• Heartbroken. Praying for Manchester & the UK. For those mourning loved ones. For those injured and fighting for life. Lord, in your mercy. || 1 day ago
  • Window seat. For the win. https://t.co/yG66Sm2bvu || 3 days ago
  • As leaders, we must not sacrifice our family for the sake of ministry because loving our family IS good leadership: instagram.com/p/BUVAGVwg-5z/ || 3 days ago
  • We long for a Gospel that comforts but resist the Gospel that disrupts. Having the former without the latter seduces us into complacency. || 3 days ago
  • Love wins in the end but in the meanwhile,it fights for things that matter. Love isn't sentimental. It's both gentle & fierce. Love endures. || 4 days ago
  • This is what we love to do. Empowering local, indigenous leaders to serve their own communities. Thanks for your su… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 5 days ago