kool aid at the microsoft empire

Calling all Microsofters: I’m headed over to the Eastside to join y’all tomorrow for the monthly lunch fellowship for Questers that work for the Man called Microsoft.  It’s at Noon @ Cafe 9 [March 7].  If you want to join, let me know and I’ll send you the contact person and his email address at gmail.com.  Just kidding.  I am excited to share in some fellowship but not as excited as this man:

Seriously, I’m encouraged because this is another venue for connection for people within our church community.  It may not be a “deep” fellowship but still allows for connections and fellowship.  This began last year when we realized that we had numerous folks working at Microsoft that had no idea that they were working in the same company.  Granted, Microsoft has about a billion employees.

Because there’s critical mass [6+ people] I’d be happy to make connections and send out the initial emails but would love to see monthly gatherings take place at the following places:

Starbucks – If this gets started, I’ll be there the first meeting with my Starbucks mug and shirt.  I think we have at least 5 folks @ headquarters and about 20 baristas.  No joke.

Mars Hill Graduate School – we have MHGS wanna be therapists all over the place at Quest.  Don’t look at them directly in the eyes.  They’ll probe and make you cry.  At least a dozen students – in both counseling and the MDiv program.  At least.

Seattle Pacific University – There’s about 10 of you that work there as administrators and professors.  We’ve tried to meet before but really think it’ll be good for folks to get together once/month.

Social Justice/Non-Profits – Not a specific organization but this is probably the largest group at Quest.  Many folks are working at various non-profits and might be great if you can get together once/month to chat, dream, and encourage one another.  It’s also possible that this might be what DeAnza [one of our quest pastors] is planning on doing at the first Quest Justice Compassion focus group.

Web 2.0/Entrepreneurs – I know you’re out there trying to create the next big social networking site.  I have a few ideas myself:  Q Harmony, YourSpace, MeTube, and BodyBook.  Once/month meeting during a weekday morning at Q Cafe to share ideas, dreams, and networking?

Artists, painters, musicians, poets, etc.  It’s Seattle…everyone is an artist.

Are there other possible groups?  My hope for such meetings isn’t simply for networking but also to build and encourage the body of Christ.  If you’re interested in being the primary contact person for any of the groups above or you have other ideas, let me know.

Filed under: religion,

1. leochen says:

Dude! Q Harmony is taken! =) Kidding.

How about medical related folks? RN, OT, PT, Pre-RN/MD, MD, DD. I think there are a whole bunch of us at Q.

2. David says:

Yeah, I would meet up with medical related folks. Or UW folks. It seems like there would be a bunch, but maybe there’s not as many UW students/staff.

3. Jennifer says:

It would be a blast to meet up with you and the MHGS students.

4. djecclesia says:

PE, redmond campus?

5. me says:

yup, redmond campus.

6. Joe says:

i’m all about meeting up with the web and design geeks! 🙂

7. Jeff Lam says:

there’s also a good number of folks in the field of education… i can think of quite a few off the top of my head..

8. Jessie says:

Yes! Let’s have a Starbucks group please!!

9. me says:

Jeff: Absolutley right. There are lots of teachers and educators at Quest. That would be a sweet meeting.

Jessie: You willing to be the contact person?

10. Capt Ralph says:

This is an exciting connection! I am all for it. Where do the boat captains meet? Seriously, you are going to hear me “harp” on this. I would like to see connections with other Covenanters – and Starbucks would be an easy start. My cousin from 1st Cov downtown works at headquarters. Is that a possibility?

11. Nathan says:

Hey – looking forward to lunch.

And as far as the video goes…I hope you don’t start emulating Ballmer’s motivational style. That might be a bit much, especially for the 5:00. On the other hand, he just may save the Sonics:

12. me says:

nathan: you lurker!

i think the 5pm needs a little ballmer.

13. Rebecca says:

Um, I think the 5pm will be just fine. Thanks.

We have to remind ourselves of this truth every day lest we forget:

Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant.

Be faithful.

PS: Also, it helps to get some Vitamin D especially if you live in the rainy Northwest Thank you, Brooklyn, for the reminder. Umm, @jlin7 is a Christian but he wasn't very Christlike with me on the basketball court. He muscled me into the paint, dunked on me, mentioned my momma, and then said, "Stick with preaching." Just kidding. Kind of.

If you haven't heard, Jeremy Lin is donating his one games wages (approximately $140,000) and an additional $100 for every 3 pointer made to support Girls' Empowerment and Education through @onedayswages. That game is this Friday vs the Boston Celtics!

Join his campaign as he's inviting his fans to donate just $7. - http://onedayswages.org/jlin

Did you know that 32 million girls of lower secondary school age are not enrolled in school.

Did you know that every year of secondary school increases a girl’s future earning power by 20 percent.

Did you know that if all girls in Sub-Saharan Africa, South and West Asia had a secondary education, child marriage would fall by 64 percent.

We can't change the entire world but we can impact the lives of one, few, and in some cases...many.

#jeremylin #jlin #linsanity #onedayswages Don't be held captive to either praise or criticism.

Know who you are.
Know what you're about.
Know WHO you serve.

The answer to who you serve makes all the difference... It's the day after International Women's Day - and it's still important to celebrate the contribution of women in our lives, society, and world. As we honor women all around the world, I'm also reminded of how women and children are those who are most deeply impacted by injustice - especially poverty.

Sadly, I have witnessed this reality in too many places. ​In 2012, I traveled to a remote area in Eastern Kenya as part of a @onedayswages response to a famine that struck the Horn of Africa region. This famine impacted nearly 13 million people and according to some sources, took the lives of about 250,000 people. During my trip there, I had the chance of meeting many people but the person that still remains in my memory was a Muslim woman named Sahara.

She was so hospitable in inviting us to her small and temporary home. During our conversation, I learned that ​Sahara traveled 300 kilometers (a little under 200 miles) – some by cart and some by foot – as they sought to escape the worst drought that has impacted East Africa (Kenya, Somalia, and Ethiopia) in the past 60 years.

This is not a misprint.
200.

She traveled about 200 miles on cart and foot. ​And all along, she was ill. If you look closely ​at the photo, you might notice the large lump in her throat - likely a large cancerous tumor.​ She did not travel alone. She traveled with her husband who I was not able to meet because he was staying with one of his five other wives in this polygamist community.  She did not travel alone. She also traveled with her six children – the youngest being about 1 and the oldest being around 8. She had just given birth to her sixth child when they began her journey. Her youngest was severely malnourished when they arrived to this new settlement in a town called Benane.
Sahara and her children all survived this journey. They survived because she persisted.
In honor of Sahara...and so many other women who keep...keeping on. I have to remind myself of this every day...because I can forget every day:

Don't be lazy and make assumptions about people. Ask about their story. Then listen. Be humble. Be teachable. Be human. Be a good neighbor.