michael jackson’s thriller

I concur.  Michael Jackson is amongst the greatest entertainers in the world.  And simultaneously, Michael Jackson is one bizarre dude.  Can’t help but feel sorry for this guy.  And now, he’s unable to make his payments on his infamous Neverland and it’s set to foreclose.  But nevertheless, Michael Jackson remains popular today – even to Questers.

I rarely get invited to these parties since everyone knows that pastors are party poopers.  Last weekend, several Quest folks hosted a party in part to celebrate the 25 year anniversary of Michael Jackson’s Thriller which went 27x platinum, had 7 top 10 hits, and sold 104 million copies [making it the best selling album of all time].

copy-of-dsc_0106.jpg

copy-of-dsc_0113.jpg

Who’s been to a live MJ concert?

And I want to know [from the party this weekend]:  Who’s the best dancer?  Who does the best MJ impersonation?

Filed under: entertainment

1. O..My…GOSH!!!!! LOL…I’m 35 and I saw MJ on the Bad tour when I was a freshman in high school. Absolutely the greatest entertainer I have ever paid money to see. And Echo, who’s the dude with the long fro? Is that Off the Wall-era Michael? LOL

2. chrismarlow says:

ask tre about his african butterfly story…also, he can’t dance.

3. Blake says:

That party rocked. There were quite a few good dancers, but I have to say that Darwin and Tina are the best ones I saw. 🙂

4. Capt Ralph says:

So sorry, I am totally out of touch…………………………..oh- you already knew that???

5. Deanne says:

Strangely – it was actually a birthday party for Vanessa and Randall – but MJ seemed to take over. Especially with Tina rocking the house! And what was even more of a hit: dancing shoes – literally. Darwin wore his dancing shoes on our beautiful new hardwood floor, and rocked it. Way to go D-Cruz! But I think my hat goes off to Jamie Peterson who had a dance off with Tina and showed off some serious hip hop skillz (yes, with a Z!)

PE, you can come to our parties as long as you promise to get your groove on!

6. missallaneous says:

Tina rocked the night away!

7. kate says:

yeah, props to tina and darwin for sure.

and, I haven’t been to an MJ concert per se, but one of the cooler/more disturbing experiences of my life has been the day I spent inside the courtroom during his sexual abuse trial…..happened to be the day he wore his pajamas to court, got there late and had a warrant put out for his arrest by the judge until he showed up, and the first day of his accuser’s testimony and cross-examination…..crazy, crazy day. we were seated next to his parents and jermaine, to add to the madness of it all. memorable for sure….

8. Darwin says:

Glad to know that practicing the moonwalk at 4am the night before and spending most of saturday on my costume resulted in amusing a few more people than just myself.

we all know tina’s reputation preceeds her, but she had a few good combo moves with vanessa. and vanessa and randall’s birthday (yes, that’s what we were actually celebrating) dance was pretty awesome as well. i believe i recall miles busting out the robot briefly as well.

and you can’t say that pastors never get invited to parties cuz i invited you to mine, but then got rejected on facebook. haha, it’s cool tho and george got to come and he wasn’t too much of a party pooper 😉

9. Jelani says:

The poofy fro is a reference to Michael as the Tin Man in the Wiz!

“You can’t wiiiiiiiinnnn…”

=)

10. Pat says:

Funny about the whole “pastors are party poopers” thing. Totally true, and it’s not our fault! 🙂 – the party tends to get all self-conscious and stuff. Even if we’re the ones who brought the GOOD beer. Sigh.

This is one of the ways that it’s fun to be bivocational (though I hate that word). I can just tell people I’m a software engineer at a party, and they treat me much differently than if I say I’m a pastor or a student in a doctor of ministry program. Though, telling people that you’re a Celtic monk, that’s becoming more interesting ;-0)

11. g says:

Check out this Asian American dance crew’s performance to “Thriller”:

HOT!

12. Tina Kim says:

LOL need to share this at Tina’s office.

13. Cupid :) says:

There was a blog about meeting potential partners within Quest – about time someone busted a move on Tina Kim 🙂

"He must become greater; I must become less." - John 3:30 We have to remind ourselves of this truth every day lest we forget:

Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant.

Be faithful.

PS: Also, it helps to get some Vitamin D especially if you live in the rainy Northwest Thank you, Brooklyn, for the reminder. Umm, @jlin7 is a Christian but he wasn't very Christlike with me on the basketball court. He muscled me into the paint, dunked on me, mentioned my momma, and then said, "Stick with preaching." Just kidding. Kind of.

If you haven't heard, Jeremy Lin is donating his one games wages (approximately $140,000) and an additional $100 for every 3 pointer made to support Girls' Empowerment and Education through @onedayswages. That game is this Friday vs the Boston Celtics!

Join his campaign as he's inviting his fans to donate just $7. - http://onedayswages.org/jlin

Did you know that 32 million girls of lower secondary school age are not enrolled in school.

Did you know that every year of secondary school increases a girl’s future earning power by 20 percent.

Did you know that if all girls in Sub-Saharan Africa, South and West Asia had a secondary education, child marriage would fall by 64 percent.

We can't change the entire world but we can impact the lives of one, few, and in some cases...many.

#jeremylin #jlin #linsanity #onedayswages Don't be held captive to either praise or criticism.

Know who you are.
Know what you're about.
Know WHO you serve.

The answer to who you serve makes all the difference... It's the day after International Women's Day - and it's still important to celebrate the contribution of women in our lives, society, and world. As we honor women all around the world, I'm also reminded of how women and children are those who are most deeply impacted by injustice - especially poverty.

Sadly, I have witnessed this reality in too many places. ​In 2012, I traveled to a remote area in Eastern Kenya as part of a @onedayswages response to a famine that struck the Horn of Africa region. This famine impacted nearly 13 million people and according to some sources, took the lives of about 250,000 people. During my trip there, I had the chance of meeting many people but the person that still remains in my memory was a Muslim woman named Sahara.

She was so hospitable in inviting us to her small and temporary home. During our conversation, I learned that ​Sahara traveled 300 kilometers (a little under 200 miles) – some by cart and some by foot – as they sought to escape the worst drought that has impacted East Africa (Kenya, Somalia, and Ethiopia) in the past 60 years.

This is not a misprint.
200.

She traveled about 200 miles on cart and foot. ​And all along, she was ill. If you look closely ​at the photo, you might notice the large lump in her throat - likely a large cancerous tumor.​ She did not travel alone. She traveled with her husband who I was not able to meet because he was staying with one of his five other wives in this polygamist community.  She did not travel alone. She also traveled with her six children – the youngest being about 1 and the oldest being around 8. She had just given birth to her sixth child when they began her journey. Her youngest was severely malnourished when they arrived to this new settlement in a town called Benane.
Sahara and her children all survived this journey. They survived because she persisted.
In honor of Sahara...and so many other women who keep...keeping on.