michael jackson’s thriller

I concur.  Michael Jackson is amongst the greatest entertainers in the world.  And simultaneously, Michael Jackson is one bizarre dude.  Can’t help but feel sorry for this guy.  And now, he’s unable to make his payments on his infamous Neverland and it’s set to foreclose.  But nevertheless, Michael Jackson remains popular today – even to Questers.

I rarely get invited to these parties since everyone knows that pastors are party poopers.  Last weekend, several Quest folks hosted a party in part to celebrate the 25 year anniversary of Michael Jackson’s Thriller which went 27x platinum, had 7 top 10 hits, and sold 104 million copies [making it the best selling album of all time].

copy-of-dsc_0106.jpg

copy-of-dsc_0113.jpg

Who’s been to a live MJ concert?

And I want to know [from the party this weekend]:  Who’s the best dancer?  Who does the best MJ impersonation?

Filed under: entertainment

1. O..My…GOSH!!!!! LOL…I’m 35 and I saw MJ on the Bad tour when I was a freshman in high school. Absolutely the greatest entertainer I have ever paid money to see. And Echo, who’s the dude with the long fro? Is that Off the Wall-era Michael? LOL

2. chrismarlow says:

ask tre about his african butterfly story…also, he can’t dance.

3. Blake says:

That party rocked. There were quite a few good dancers, but I have to say that Darwin and Tina are the best ones I saw. 🙂

4. Capt Ralph says:

So sorry, I am totally out of touch…………………………..oh- you already knew that???

5. Deanne says:

Strangely – it was actually a birthday party for Vanessa and Randall – but MJ seemed to take over. Especially with Tina rocking the house! And what was even more of a hit: dancing shoes – literally. Darwin wore his dancing shoes on our beautiful new hardwood floor, and rocked it. Way to go D-Cruz! But I think my hat goes off to Jamie Peterson who had a dance off with Tina and showed off some serious hip hop skillz (yes, with a Z!)

PE, you can come to our parties as long as you promise to get your groove on!

6. missallaneous says:

Tina rocked the night away!

7. kate says:

yeah, props to tina and darwin for sure.

and, I haven’t been to an MJ concert per se, but one of the cooler/more disturbing experiences of my life has been the day I spent inside the courtroom during his sexual abuse trial…..happened to be the day he wore his pajamas to court, got there late and had a warrant put out for his arrest by the judge until he showed up, and the first day of his accuser’s testimony and cross-examination…..crazy, crazy day. we were seated next to his parents and jermaine, to add to the madness of it all. memorable for sure….

8. Darwin says:

Glad to know that practicing the moonwalk at 4am the night before and spending most of saturday on my costume resulted in amusing a few more people than just myself.

we all know tina’s reputation preceeds her, but she had a few good combo moves with vanessa. and vanessa and randall’s birthday (yes, that’s what we were actually celebrating) dance was pretty awesome as well. i believe i recall miles busting out the robot briefly as well.

and you can’t say that pastors never get invited to parties cuz i invited you to mine, but then got rejected on facebook. haha, it’s cool tho and george got to come and he wasn’t too much of a party pooper 😉

9. Jelani says:

The poofy fro is a reference to Michael as the Tin Man in the Wiz!

“You can’t wiiiiiiiinnnn…”

=)

10. Pat says:

Funny about the whole “pastors are party poopers” thing. Totally true, and it’s not our fault! 🙂 – the party tends to get all self-conscious and stuff. Even if we’re the ones who brought the GOOD beer. Sigh.

This is one of the ways that it’s fun to be bivocational (though I hate that word). I can just tell people I’m a software engineer at a party, and they treat me much differently than if I say I’m a pastor or a student in a doctor of ministry program. Though, telling people that you’re a Celtic monk, that’s becoming more interesting ;-0)

11. g says:

Check out this Asian American dance crew’s performance to “Thriller”:

HOT!

12. Tina Kim says:

LOL need to share this at Tina’s office.

13. Cupid :) says:

There was a blog about meeting potential partners within Quest – about time someone busted a move on Tina Kim 🙂

In our culture, we can be so obsessed with the "spectacular" or "glamorous." The Church often engagws in thia language and paradigm...but what if God has called many of us to small, ordinary things?

Will we still be faithful?
Will we still go about such things with great love and joy?

I recently came across this picture taken by @mattylew, one of our church staff...and I started tearing up: This is my mother; in her 70s; with realities of some disabilities that make it difficult for her to stand up and sit down...but here she is on her knees and prostate in prayer. She doesn't have any social media accounts, barely knows how to use her smartphone, doesn't have a platform, hasn't written a book, doesn't have any titles in our church, isn't listed as a leader or an expert or a consultant or a guru. But she simply seeks to do her best - by God's grace - to be faithful to God. She prays for hours every day inteceding for our family, our church, and the larger world.

Even if we're not noticed or celebrated or elevated...let's be faithful. Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant. And not even successful in the eyes of the world.

Be faithful. Amen. #notetoself (and maybe helpful for someone else)

At times, we have to say ‘NO’ to good things to say ‘YES’ to the most important things.

We can't do it all.
Pray and choose wisely.
Then invest deeply. May our compassion not just be limited to the West or to those that look like us. Lifting up the people of Iraq, Iran, and Kurdistan in prayer after the 7.3 earthquake - including the many new friends I met on a recent trip to Iraq.

The death toll rises to over 400 and over 7,000 injured in multiple cities and hundreds of villages along the Western border with Iraq.

Lord, in your mercy... We are reminded again and again...that we are Resurrection People living in a Dark Friday world.

It's been a tough, emotional, and painful week - especially as we lament the horrible tragedy of the church shootings at Sutherland Springs. In the midst of this lament, I've been carried by the hope, beauty, and promise of our baptisms last Sunday and the raw and honest testimonies of God's mercy, love, and grace.

Indeed, God is not yet done. May we take heart for Christ has overcome the world. "Without genuine relationships with the poor, we rob them of their dignity and they become mere projects. And God did not intend for anyone to become our projects." Grateful this quote from my book, Overrated, is resonating with so many folks - individuals and  NGOs. / design by @preemptivelove .
May we keep working