michael jackson’s thriller

I concur.  Michael Jackson is amongst the greatest entertainers in the world.  And simultaneously, Michael Jackson is one bizarre dude.  Can’t help but feel sorry for this guy.  And now, he’s unable to make his payments on his infamous Neverland and it’s set to foreclose.  But nevertheless, Michael Jackson remains popular today – even to Questers.

I rarely get invited to these parties since everyone knows that pastors are party poopers.  Last weekend, several Quest folks hosted a party in part to celebrate the 25 year anniversary of Michael Jackson’s Thriller which went 27x platinum, had 7 top 10 hits, and sold 104 million copies [making it the best selling album of all time].

copy-of-dsc_0106.jpg

copy-of-dsc_0113.jpg

Who’s been to a live MJ concert?

And I want to know [from the party this weekend]:  Who’s the best dancer?  Who does the best MJ impersonation?

Filed under: entertainment

1. O..My…GOSH!!!!! LOL…I’m 35 and I saw MJ on the Bad tour when I was a freshman in high school. Absolutely the greatest entertainer I have ever paid money to see. And Echo, who’s the dude with the long fro? Is that Off the Wall-era Michael? LOL

2. chrismarlow says:

ask tre about his african butterfly story…also, he can’t dance.

3. Blake says:

That party rocked. There were quite a few good dancers, but I have to say that Darwin and Tina are the best ones I saw.🙂

4. Capt Ralph says:

So sorry, I am totally out of touch…………………………..oh- you already knew that???

5. Deanne says:

Strangely – it was actually a birthday party for Vanessa and Randall – but MJ seemed to take over. Especially with Tina rocking the house! And what was even more of a hit: dancing shoes – literally. Darwin wore his dancing shoes on our beautiful new hardwood floor, and rocked it. Way to go D-Cruz! But I think my hat goes off to Jamie Peterson who had a dance off with Tina and showed off some serious hip hop skillz (yes, with a Z!)

PE, you can come to our parties as long as you promise to get your groove on!

6. missallaneous says:

Tina rocked the night away!

7. kate says:

yeah, props to tina and darwin for sure.

and, I haven’t been to an MJ concert per se, but one of the cooler/more disturbing experiences of my life has been the day I spent inside the courtroom during his sexual abuse trial…..happened to be the day he wore his pajamas to court, got there late and had a warrant put out for his arrest by the judge until he showed up, and the first day of his accuser’s testimony and cross-examination…..crazy, crazy day. we were seated next to his parents and jermaine, to add to the madness of it all. memorable for sure….

8. Darwin says:

Glad to know that practicing the moonwalk at 4am the night before and spending most of saturday on my costume resulted in amusing a few more people than just myself.

we all know tina’s reputation preceeds her, but she had a few good combo moves with vanessa. and vanessa and randall’s birthday (yes, that’s what we were actually celebrating) dance was pretty awesome as well. i believe i recall miles busting out the robot briefly as well.

and you can’t say that pastors never get invited to parties cuz i invited you to mine, but then got rejected on facebook. haha, it’s cool tho and george got to come and he wasn’t too much of a party pooper😉

9. Jelani says:

The poofy fro is a reference to Michael as the Tin Man in the Wiz!

“You can’t wiiiiiiiinnnn…”

=)

10. Pat says:

Funny about the whole “pastors are party poopers” thing. Totally true, and it’s not our fault!🙂 – the party tends to get all self-conscious and stuff. Even if we’re the ones who brought the GOOD beer. Sigh.

This is one of the ways that it’s fun to be bivocational (though I hate that word). I can just tell people I’m a software engineer at a party, and they treat me much differently than if I say I’m a pastor or a student in a doctor of ministry program. Though, telling people that you’re a Celtic monk, that’s becoming more interesting ;-0)

11. g says:

Check out this Asian American dance crew’s performance to “Thriller”:

HOT!

12. Tina Kim says:

LOL need to share this at Tina’s office.

13. Cupid :) says:

There was a blog about meeting potential partners within Quest – about time someone busted a move on Tina Kim🙂

Today, Minhee and I dropped off our eldest child at her college. We have been thinking and praying about this day for many years. On some days, we hoped it would never come. On other days, we couldn't wait for it to come. On some days, we prayed for time to stop and other days, we prayed with anticipation.

A flood of thoughts rushed my mind.

Is she ready?
Have we done enough?
Have we taught her enough?
What if this? What if that?

And I came home.
And I wept.
Forget my street cred.
I miss her. I love her.
She will always be my little baby.

Happy life. - Eugenius 3:16

I still remember that time, many years ago, when Minhee was pregnant with our first child. She had left her family and friends in Korea just two years before. Her morning sickness was horrible and when she finally had an appetite, she craved her favorite Korean food from certain restaurants in her neighborhood in Seoul, Korea. I had no way of getting that food from those restaurants so I actually said, "How about a Whopper? Big Mac?" Sorry honey. Eat away. You deserve it. I don't care if it sounds mushy but sunsets are one of my love languages. Seoul, Korea was amazing but WOW...what a breathtaking welcome back sunset by Seattle. Not ready to let go of summer. Seattle. 7:00pm. Desperately holding on to summer. #goldengardenpark #nofilter Happy Birthday, Minhee! I'm so grateful for you. You radiate faith, hope, and love.  No...you don't complete me. That would be silly and simply humanly impossible but you keep pointing me and our family to Christ who informs and transforms our lives, marriage, family, and ministry. Thanks for being so faithful. I love you so much. (* And what a gift to be in Korea together.)