michael jackson’s thriller

I concur.  Michael Jackson is amongst the greatest entertainers in the world.  And simultaneously, Michael Jackson is one bizarre dude.  Can’t help but feel sorry for this guy.  And now, he’s unable to make his payments on his infamous Neverland and it’s set to foreclose.  But nevertheless, Michael Jackson remains popular today – even to Questers.

I rarely get invited to these parties since everyone knows that pastors are party poopers.  Last weekend, several Quest folks hosted a party in part to celebrate the 25 year anniversary of Michael Jackson’s Thriller which went 27x platinum, had 7 top 10 hits, and sold 104 million copies [making it the best selling album of all time].

copy-of-dsc_0106.jpg

copy-of-dsc_0113.jpg

Who’s been to a live MJ concert?

And I want to know [from the party this weekend]:  Who’s the best dancer?  Who does the best MJ impersonation?

Filed under: entertainment

1. O..My…GOSH!!!!! LOL…I’m 35 and I saw MJ on the Bad tour when I was a freshman in high school. Absolutely the greatest entertainer I have ever paid money to see. And Echo, who’s the dude with the long fro? Is that Off the Wall-era Michael? LOL

2. chrismarlow says:

ask tre about his african butterfly story…also, he can’t dance.

3. Blake says:

That party rocked. There were quite a few good dancers, but I have to say that Darwin and Tina are the best ones I saw. 🙂

4. Capt Ralph says:

So sorry, I am totally out of touch…………………………..oh- you already knew that???

5. Deanne says:

Strangely – it was actually a birthday party for Vanessa and Randall – but MJ seemed to take over. Especially with Tina rocking the house! And what was even more of a hit: dancing shoes – literally. Darwin wore his dancing shoes on our beautiful new hardwood floor, and rocked it. Way to go D-Cruz! But I think my hat goes off to Jamie Peterson who had a dance off with Tina and showed off some serious hip hop skillz (yes, with a Z!)

PE, you can come to our parties as long as you promise to get your groove on!

6. missallaneous says:

Tina rocked the night away!

7. kate says:

yeah, props to tina and darwin for sure.

and, I haven’t been to an MJ concert per se, but one of the cooler/more disturbing experiences of my life has been the day I spent inside the courtroom during his sexual abuse trial…..happened to be the day he wore his pajamas to court, got there late and had a warrant put out for his arrest by the judge until he showed up, and the first day of his accuser’s testimony and cross-examination…..crazy, crazy day. we were seated next to his parents and jermaine, to add to the madness of it all. memorable for sure….

8. Darwin says:

Glad to know that practicing the moonwalk at 4am the night before and spending most of saturday on my costume resulted in amusing a few more people than just myself.

we all know tina’s reputation preceeds her, but she had a few good combo moves with vanessa. and vanessa and randall’s birthday (yes, that’s what we were actually celebrating) dance was pretty awesome as well. i believe i recall miles busting out the robot briefly as well.

and you can’t say that pastors never get invited to parties cuz i invited you to mine, but then got rejected on facebook. haha, it’s cool tho and george got to come and he wasn’t too much of a party pooper 😉

9. Jelani says:

The poofy fro is a reference to Michael as the Tin Man in the Wiz!

“You can’t wiiiiiiiinnnn…”

=)

10. Pat says:

Funny about the whole “pastors are party poopers” thing. Totally true, and it’s not our fault! 🙂 – the party tends to get all self-conscious and stuff. Even if we’re the ones who brought the GOOD beer. Sigh.

This is one of the ways that it’s fun to be bivocational (though I hate that word). I can just tell people I’m a software engineer at a party, and they treat me much differently than if I say I’m a pastor or a student in a doctor of ministry program. Though, telling people that you’re a Celtic monk, that’s becoming more interesting ;-0)

11. g says:

Check out this Asian American dance crew’s performance to “Thriller”:

HOT!

12. Tina Kim says:

LOL need to share this at Tina’s office.

13. Cupid :) says:

There was a blog about meeting potential partners within Quest – about time someone busted a move on Tina Kim 🙂

Nothing grows by itself. If something matters to us, may we be intentional about growing it.

Invest. Pray. Plant. Water. Nurture. Repeat. God sees and knows us. In fact, God knows everything about us.

Not just the good we try so hard to project but even the mess we often seek to hide.

Let this soak in: Not only are we fully known but in Christ, we are fully pursued and loved.

This is grace.
Amazing grace. Hairstyles change. Sideburn fads come and go but may our commitment to love, honor, respect, and be on mission together for Christ never waver.

Thank you, Minhee. I love you so much even if you made fun of my hairstyle and sideburns. I missed you, Seattle. Grateful for a time to pray, rest, retreat, read, reflect, and sabbath. I've spent the last 12 days in the woods alone. Competely alone. It's been both haunting and refreshing. Haunting because of loneliness. Refreshing because through the silence, I am reminded - again - that I'm not alone. Emmanuel.

Also, bought myself a cheap kayak and loving the solitude time in nature. Also, the kayak is paying instant dividends in my bass fishing game. #sabbathrest #bassfishing #catchandrelease There's nothing selfish about rest and self-care. We can't give what we don't have. Experience life and we'll be life-giving to others. Amen.

#NoteToSelf