michael jackson’s thriller

I concur.  Michael Jackson is amongst the greatest entertainers in the world.  And simultaneously, Michael Jackson is one bizarre dude.  Can’t help but feel sorry for this guy.  And now, he’s unable to make his payments on his infamous Neverland and it’s set to foreclose.  But nevertheless, Michael Jackson remains popular today – even to Questers.

I rarely get invited to these parties since everyone knows that pastors are party poopers.  Last weekend, several Quest folks hosted a party in part to celebrate the 25 year anniversary of Michael Jackson’s Thriller which went 27x platinum, had 7 top 10 hits, and sold 104 million copies [making it the best selling album of all time].

copy-of-dsc_0106.jpg

copy-of-dsc_0113.jpg

Who’s been to a live MJ concert?

And I want to know [from the party this weekend]:  Who’s the best dancer?  Who does the best MJ impersonation?

Filed under: entertainment

1. O..My…GOSH!!!!! LOL…I’m 35 and I saw MJ on the Bad tour when I was a freshman in high school. Absolutely the greatest entertainer I have ever paid money to see. And Echo, who’s the dude with the long fro? Is that Off the Wall-era Michael? LOL

2. chrismarlow says:

ask tre about his african butterfly story…also, he can’t dance.

3. Blake says:

That party rocked. There were quite a few good dancers, but I have to say that Darwin and Tina are the best ones I saw. 🙂

4. Capt Ralph says:

So sorry, I am totally out of touch…………………………..oh- you already knew that???

5. Deanne says:

Strangely – it was actually a birthday party for Vanessa and Randall – but MJ seemed to take over. Especially with Tina rocking the house! And what was even more of a hit: dancing shoes – literally. Darwin wore his dancing shoes on our beautiful new hardwood floor, and rocked it. Way to go D-Cruz! But I think my hat goes off to Jamie Peterson who had a dance off with Tina and showed off some serious hip hop skillz (yes, with a Z!)

PE, you can come to our parties as long as you promise to get your groove on!

6. missallaneous says:

Tina rocked the night away!

7. kate says:

yeah, props to tina and darwin for sure.

and, I haven’t been to an MJ concert per se, but one of the cooler/more disturbing experiences of my life has been the day I spent inside the courtroom during his sexual abuse trial…..happened to be the day he wore his pajamas to court, got there late and had a warrant put out for his arrest by the judge until he showed up, and the first day of his accuser’s testimony and cross-examination…..crazy, crazy day. we were seated next to his parents and jermaine, to add to the madness of it all. memorable for sure….

8. Darwin says:

Glad to know that practicing the moonwalk at 4am the night before and spending most of saturday on my costume resulted in amusing a few more people than just myself.

we all know tina’s reputation preceeds her, but she had a few good combo moves with vanessa. and vanessa and randall’s birthday (yes, that’s what we were actually celebrating) dance was pretty awesome as well. i believe i recall miles busting out the robot briefly as well.

and you can’t say that pastors never get invited to parties cuz i invited you to mine, but then got rejected on facebook. haha, it’s cool tho and george got to come and he wasn’t too much of a party pooper 😉

9. Jelani says:

The poofy fro is a reference to Michael as the Tin Man in the Wiz!

“You can’t wiiiiiiiinnnn…”

=)

10. Pat says:

Funny about the whole “pastors are party poopers” thing. Totally true, and it’s not our fault! 🙂 – the party tends to get all self-conscious and stuff. Even if we’re the ones who brought the GOOD beer. Sigh.

This is one of the ways that it’s fun to be bivocational (though I hate that word). I can just tell people I’m a software engineer at a party, and they treat me much differently than if I say I’m a pastor or a student in a doctor of ministry program. Though, telling people that you’re a Celtic monk, that’s becoming more interesting ;-0)

11. g says:

Check out this Asian American dance crew’s performance to “Thriller”:

HOT!

12. Tina Kim says:

LOL need to share this at Tina’s office.

13. Cupid :) says:

There was a blog about meeting potential partners within Quest – about time someone busted a move on Tina Kim 🙂

Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. Thanks for your prayers.
I have numerous stories to share but for now, the following came up in every conversation with Iraqi/Syrian refugees:

1 Have tea with us. Or coffee. Or juice. Or something with lots of sugar in it. Or better yet, all of the above.
2 We want peace. We want security.
3 We hate ISIS.
4 We just want to go home.
5 Please don't forget us.

Please don't forget them... Father, please bless and protect these Iraqi and Syrian "refugee" children that have already endured so much. Protect their hearts and mind from unfathomable trauma. Plant seeds of hope and vision in their lives. And as we pray for them, teach us how to advocate for them. Amen. "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." -  local Iraqi priest whose church has welcomed many "relatives" to their church's property

It's always a privilege to be invited into peoples' home for tea - even if it's a temporary tent. This is an extended Yezidi family that fled the Mosul, Iraq area because of ISIS. It's indeed true that Christians were targeted by ISIS and thatbstory muat be shared but other minority groups like the Yezidis were also targeted. Some of their heartbreaking stories included the kidnapping of their sister. They shared that their father passed away shortly of a "broken heart." The conversation was emotional but afterwards, we asked each other for permission to take photos. Once the selfies came out, the real smiles came out.

So friends: Pray for Iraq. Pray for the persecuted Church. Pray for Christians, minority groups like the Yezidis who fear they will e completely wiped out in the Middle East,, and Muslims alike who are all suffering under ISIS. Friends: I'm traveling in the Middle East this week - Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. (Make sure you follow my pics/stories on IG stories). Specifically, I'm here representing @onedayswages to meet, learn, and listen to pastors, local leaders, NGOs, and of course directly from refugees from within these countries - including many from Syria.

For security purposes, I haven't been able to share at all but I'm now able to start sharing some photos and stories. For now, I'll be sharing numerous photos through my IG stories and will be sharing some longer written pieces in couple months when ODW launches another wave of partnerships to come alongside refugees in these areas. Four of us are traveling together also for the purpose of creating a short documentary that we hope to release early next year.

While I'm on my church sabbatical, it's truly a privilege to be able to come to these countries and to meet local pastors and indigenous leaders that tirelessly pursue peace and justice, and to hear directly from refugees. I've read so many various articles and pieces over the years and I thought I was prepared but it has been jarring, heartbreaking,  and gut wrenching. In the midst of such chaos, there's hope but there's also a lot of questions, too.

I hope you follow along as I share photos, stories, and help release this mini-documentary. Please tag friends that might be interested.

Please pray for safety, for empathy, for humility and integrity, for divine meetings. Pray that we listen well; To be present and not just be a consumer of these vulnerable stories. That's my biggest prayer.

Special thanks to @worldvisionusa and @worldrelief for hosting us on this journey. 9/11
Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.

Today, I had some gut wrenching and heart breaking conversations about war, violence, and peacemaking. Mostly, I listened. Never in my wildest imagination did I envision having these conversations on 9/11 of all days. I wish I could share more now but I hope to later after I process them for a few days.

But indeed: Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.
May it be so. Amen. Mount Rainier is simply epic. There's nothing like flying in and out of Seattle.

#mountrainier
#seattle
#northwestisbest

• Every convo with Iraqi/Syrian refugees included: 1 Have tea with us 2 We want peace 3 We hate ISIS 4 We want to go home 5 Don't forget us || 2 days ago
  • Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan to assess @OneDaysWages' partnerships & to film mini-documentary on refugee crisis. So many emotions. || 2 days ago
  • Pray for Mexico. For those mourning loved ones. For those fighting for life - even under rubbles. For rescue workers. Lord, in your mercy. || 2 days ago
  • Don't underestimate what God can do through you. God has a very long history of using foolish and broken people for His purposes and glory. || 5 days ago
  • Father, bless these Iraqi and Syrian refugee children that have already endured so much. As we pray, teach us how t… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 6 days ago
  • Pray for Iraq. Pray for persecuted Church, minority groups (Yezidis) and Muslims alike who are suffering under ISIS: instagram.com/p/BZF2j6Ngrna/ || 6 days ago