jesus and chuck e. cheese

Here’s why Jesus isn’t a fan of Chuck E. Cheese and another sign of the apocalypse:  Moms Brawl at Chuck E. Cheese

A child’s birthday party at a Chuck E. Cheese restaurant was cut short after a fight broke out between two mothers. Natick police said the mom of the 9-year-old birthday boy apparently became enraged because the other woman’s son was “hogging” an arcade game.

Sgt. Paul Thompson said Catherine Aliaga, 38, and Tarsha Williams, 33, both of Boston, would be summoned into court to answer charges of simple assault and battery stemming from the scuffle…He said what started as a birthday celebration turned into a “birthday melee.”

I know this story if funny but it’s also kinda funny in a not so funny way [How’s that for an overcomplexified sentence?].  I admit that every now and then, our family goes there [on a weekday around 3pm when it’s mostly empty].  The pizza’s mediocre but I like going there to enjoy the arcades games for .25.  I can hog the games and bully the kids around when their moms aren’t watching.  But after attending a kid’s birthday part [on a Saturday afternoon] couple years ago, my wife and I vowed never to go there again for a birthday party.  I am convinced that no matter how gracious Jesus is, He would never attend a birthday party at Chuck E. Cheese.  Here’s why:

• Jesus likes your home.  What ever happened to inviting friends, family, and neighbors to your home?  Some may not have homes that can accomodate all their guests so I understand that but there are better options that Chuck E. Cheese.
  • Jesus like simplicity.  Why do parents always feel like we have to entertain people and kids with stuff?  Enough with keeping up with the Jones’.  I told Minhee I’m busting out my guitar to play an hour of the “Freeze Game” for my son’s upcoming party in June.  That’s as fancy as it gets.
  • Jesus likes conversations and community.  Have you ever been to Chuck E. Cheese during the weekends?  It is utter chaos. I don’t remember a single conversation with any of the parents.  You are so busy trying to get your voice heard that you simply can’t enjoy the children or the conversations that you’re having with other parents.  Simply, Chuck E. Cheese doesn’t = good conversations & community building and the last time I checked, Jesus was about good conversations and community building.  And of course, the Kingdom of God but that’s another post.
  • Jesus likes peace.  Jesus did not come for two moms to fight over hogging etiquettes at Chuck E. Cheese.  But goodness, if this was captured on video, it would be an instant YouTube hit.  Just say no to fighting at Chuck E. Cheese.  This isn’t the only incident at CEC.  Check out this newstory from earlier in the year:

It was jammed packed. Too packed. Like a club,” said witness Margie Waters.

Baker will never look at the mouse the same way again.

“Chuck E. Cheese was singing. And Chuck E. Cheese saw the fight,” she said.

Baker and Chuck E. Cheese weren’t the only ones who saw it. Baker’s uncle did, too.

“You know, it was just crazy,” he said.

In fact, authorities say up to 80 people may have been involved. Several teenagers apparently started it.

Police soon broke out the pepper spray.

“We were, like, ‘Stop, stop. You’re spraying the babies. You’re spraying the babies,‘” Waters said. [read full story]

• Last but not least, Jesus does not like Rats. Who in their right mind likes rats?  Seriously, we’re allowing big Rats to entertain our kids and lead them in the birthday song?
cec_logo.gif

Filed under: entertainment, family, religion,

1. Julie says:

Thanks for a good laugh as we start another week!

2. Daniel says:

I went to a party last year to CEC and let me say, it was the closest experience to a riot. Kids were crazy and parents chasing after kids.

3. jenny says:

oh jesus!! spare him from this.

4. alece says:

“Jesus does not like rats”. Gotta love that.

5. Chad says:

🙂 i’m gonna have to move my bookmark to your blog to my “humor” folder. keep it up, laughing is good for the soul.

6. Dan Hauge says:

“Chuck E. Cheese–worst imaginary corporate birthday party host ever?” Discuss.

7. daniel so says:

Eugene — I’m pretty sure Jesus likes all you can eat salad bars, though😉

Speaking of simplicity, part of the reason we love our daughter’s preschool is their “no elaborate birthday gift bag” rule. Her teachers told us how parents were using their kids’ birthdays as an excuse to outdo one another so they instituted a simplicity rule — just bring a little snack, and no over the top Pokemon/princess/whatever gift packs.

8. rexhamilton says:

I agree with having parties at home. My son turns 4 this summer and we’re going to do some fun pre-school olympic games since the Summer Games will be happening this year in China. Of course, we’ll exclude the medals…podiums…and the whole winners / losers thing. But maybe we can fit national anthems in since my son is half-Chinese…:)

9. びっくり says:

You know, when I was a kid we could invite one guest for each year old we were. That kept the party size small enough to fit in the house. Also, we were encouraged to play outdoor games. I would think Marymoor Park would make a better party than CEC. Maybe a BBQ at Shilshoe? I think Jesus would approve of playing with kids by the seashore or under the trees.🙂 Thanks for the post.

10. Nic says:

I happen to disagree with Jesus “not liking” Chuck or his Cheese. As a kid, CeC was a sort of ‘Mecca’ (pardon the non-biblical religious analogy)…let’s go with temple of Jerusalem to the Jews. Since we know from his own words that Jesus is a huge fan of the kids, and the necessity of we as adults having a childlike faith, I think JC is waiting for the day when Christ-followers rise up and take over the temple of Cheese much like He did with the Jewish temple in his day. Chuck and his band could lead us in worship, we’d have pizza potlucks, give out game tokens for memorizing bible verses, baptismals in the ball pit, change Whack-a-mole to Whack-a-devil, etc… That’s my 2 cents.

11. chenster22 says:

i had some good memories at chuck e cheese. i think every kid had theirs at chuck e cheese’s growing up.

this incident will make me think twice about future birthday parties. haha.

12. Rebecca says:

I still love the sermon story about the little girl why says, “I love Chuck E Cheese!!!”

And I have fond memories of the place, back in the day. It was my favorite place to party when I was three. But I agree that Jesus would not support the fighting, no matter how awesome skeeball is.

13. Capt Ralph says:

We, I confess, went to CEC when it first opened (20 yrs ago) for b-day parties. I always took along aspirin – and the pizza was horrible. Now, for “over-the-top” parties: I was at El Gaucho for dinner last month and the table next to us was about a dozen 9 year-olds for a birthday. They were quiet and polite, but……………….where do you go from there?

14. me says:

Capt Ralph: I don’t know if I should laugh or be appalled. A dozen 9 year olds for a party at the El Gaucho?

For folks that don’t know, El Gaucho is an upscale restaurant here in Seattle. Steaks go from $50-$100.

Crazy.

15. steph says:

oh no.
    we’re heading there in an hour for my son’s 9th. this is the ONLY thing he wanted.

i’ll leave my weapons at home.

🙂

16. me says:

steph: if there is a fight, please capture in on video. we can become youtube sensations overnight.

17. Blake says:

I’m half-joking, but what’s up with this world where 9 year olds want to go to dinner at a nice restaurant where they can’t run around, blow bubbles in their milk, hit their siblings, throw stuff at their friends, and generally cause mayhem… much less cost $50?

When I was 9 I don’t think I even knew it was POSSIBLE for a dinner to cost more than MAYBE $20. I was more concerned with being able to run, play, and cause general mayhem. It was only when I discovered girls that dinner became something that didn’t involve juvenile antics.😉 Oh wait… Kate would disagree; better take that back.

Grateful for a very full weekend of ministry and preaching in Toronto, Canada (GTA). Such a privilege to partner with @worldvisioncan @wvcollective to advocate for the most vulnerable around the world. God is so gracious. A true honor to meet and encourage local pastors, lecture at Tyndale University & Seminary (photo), and preach at Richmond Hills Community Church, Compass Point Bible Church, and New City Church. Thank you, Lord, that you use broken and imperfect people like me to speak of Your love. Today, Minhee and I dropped off our eldest child at her college. We have been thinking and praying about this day for many years. On some days, we hoped it would never come. On other days, we couldn't wait for it to come. On some days, we prayed for time to stop and other days, we prayed with anticipation.

A flood of thoughts rushed my mind.

Is she ready?
Have we done enough?
Have we taught her enough?
What if this? What if that?

And I came home.
And I wept.
Forget my street cred.
I miss her. I love her.
She will always be my little baby.

Happy life. - Eugenius 3:16

I still remember that time, many years ago, when Minhee was pregnant with our first child. She had left her family and friends in Korea just two years before. Her morning sickness was horrible and when she finally had an appetite, she craved her favorite Korean food from certain restaurants in her neighborhood in Seoul, Korea. I had no way of getting that food from those restaurants so I actually said, "How about a Whopper? Big Mac?" Sorry honey. Eat away. You deserve it. I don't care if it sounds mushy but sunsets are one of my love languages. Seoul, Korea was amazing but WOW...what a breathtaking welcome back sunset by Seattle. Not ready to let go of summer. Seattle. 7:00pm. Desperately holding on to summer. #goldengardenpark #nofilter