jesus and chuck e. cheese

Here’s why Jesus isn’t a fan of Chuck E. Cheese and another sign of the apocalypse:  Moms Brawl at Chuck E. Cheese

A child’s birthday party at a Chuck E. Cheese restaurant was cut short after a fight broke out between two mothers. Natick police said the mom of the 9-year-old birthday boy apparently became enraged because the other woman’s son was “hogging” an arcade game.

Sgt. Paul Thompson said Catherine Aliaga, 38, and Tarsha Williams, 33, both of Boston, would be summoned into court to answer charges of simple assault and battery stemming from the scuffle…He said what started as a birthday celebration turned into a “birthday melee.”

I know this story if funny but it’s also kinda funny in a not so funny way [How’s that for an overcomplexified sentence?].  I admit that every now and then, our family goes there [on a weekday around 3pm when it’s mostly empty].  The pizza’s mediocre but I like going there to enjoy the arcades games for .25.  I can hog the games and bully the kids around when their moms aren’t watching.  But after attending a kid’s birthday part [on a Saturday afternoon] couple years ago, my wife and I vowed never to go there again for a birthday party.  I am convinced that no matter how gracious Jesus is, He would never attend a birthday party at Chuck E. Cheese.  Here’s why:

• Jesus likes your home.  What ever happened to inviting friends, family, and neighbors to your home?  Some may not have homes that can accomodate all their guests so I understand that but there are better options that Chuck E. Cheese.
  • Jesus like simplicity.  Why do parents always feel like we have to entertain people and kids with stuff?  Enough with keeping up with the Jones’.  I told Minhee I’m busting out my guitar to play an hour of the “Freeze Game” for my son’s upcoming party in June.  That’s as fancy as it gets.
  • Jesus likes conversations and community.  Have you ever been to Chuck E. Cheese during the weekends?  It is utter chaos. I don’t remember a single conversation with any of the parents.  You are so busy trying to get your voice heard that you simply can’t enjoy the children or the conversations that you’re having with other parents.  Simply, Chuck E. Cheese doesn’t = good conversations & community building and the last time I checked, Jesus was about good conversations and community building.  And of course, the Kingdom of God but that’s another post.
  • Jesus likes peace.  Jesus did not come for two moms to fight over hogging etiquettes at Chuck E. Cheese.  But goodness, if this was captured on video, it would be an instant YouTube hit.  Just say no to fighting at Chuck E. Cheese.  This isn’t the only incident at CEC.  Check out this newstory from earlier in the year:

It was jammed packed. Too packed. Like a club,” said witness Margie Waters.

Baker will never look at the mouse the same way again.

“Chuck E. Cheese was singing. And Chuck E. Cheese saw the fight,” she said.

Baker and Chuck E. Cheese weren’t the only ones who saw it. Baker’s uncle did, too.

“You know, it was just crazy,” he said.

In fact, authorities say up to 80 people may have been involved. Several teenagers apparently started it.

Police soon broke out the pepper spray.

“We were, like, ‘Stop, stop. You’re spraying the babies. You’re spraying the babies,‘” Waters said. [read full story]

• Last but not least, Jesus does not like Rats. Who in their right mind likes rats?  Seriously, we’re allowing big Rats to entertain our kids and lead them in the birthday song?
cec_logo.gif

Filed under: entertainment, family, religion,

1. Julie says:

Thanks for a good laugh as we start another week!

2. Daniel says:

I went to a party last year to CEC and let me say, it was the closest experience to a riot. Kids were crazy and parents chasing after kids.

3. jenny says:

oh jesus!! spare him from this.

4. alece says:

“Jesus does not like rats”. Gotta love that.

5. Chad says:

🙂 i’m gonna have to move my bookmark to your blog to my “humor” folder. keep it up, laughing is good for the soul.

6. Dan Hauge says:

“Chuck E. Cheese–worst imaginary corporate birthday party host ever?” Discuss.

7. daniel so says:

Eugene — I’m pretty sure Jesus likes all you can eat salad bars, though 😉

Speaking of simplicity, part of the reason we love our daughter’s preschool is their “no elaborate birthday gift bag” rule. Her teachers told us how parents were using their kids’ birthdays as an excuse to outdo one another so they instituted a simplicity rule — just bring a little snack, and no over the top Pokemon/princess/whatever gift packs.

8. rexhamilton says:

I agree with having parties at home. My son turns 4 this summer and we’re going to do some fun pre-school olympic games since the Summer Games will be happening this year in China. Of course, we’ll exclude the medals…podiums…and the whole winners / losers thing. But maybe we can fit national anthems in since my son is half-Chinese…:)

9. びっくり says:

You know, when I was a kid we could invite one guest for each year old we were. That kept the party size small enough to fit in the house. Also, we were encouraged to play outdoor games. I would think Marymoor Park would make a better party than CEC. Maybe a BBQ at Shilshoe? I think Jesus would approve of playing with kids by the seashore or under the trees. 🙂 Thanks for the post.

10. Nic says:

I happen to disagree with Jesus “not liking” Chuck or his Cheese. As a kid, CeC was a sort of ‘Mecca’ (pardon the non-biblical religious analogy)…let’s go with temple of Jerusalem to the Jews. Since we know from his own words that Jesus is a huge fan of the kids, and the necessity of we as adults having a childlike faith, I think JC is waiting for the day when Christ-followers rise up and take over the temple of Cheese much like He did with the Jewish temple in his day. Chuck and his band could lead us in worship, we’d have pizza potlucks, give out game tokens for memorizing bible verses, baptismals in the ball pit, change Whack-a-mole to Whack-a-devil, etc… That’s my 2 cents.

11. chenster22 says:

i had some good memories at chuck e cheese. i think every kid had theirs at chuck e cheese’s growing up.

this incident will make me think twice about future birthday parties. haha.

12. Rebecca says:

I still love the sermon story about the little girl why says, “I love Chuck E Cheese!!!”

And I have fond memories of the place, back in the day. It was my favorite place to party when I was three. But I agree that Jesus would not support the fighting, no matter how awesome skeeball is.

13. Capt Ralph says:

We, I confess, went to CEC when it first opened (20 yrs ago) for b-day parties. I always took along aspirin – and the pizza was horrible. Now, for “over-the-top” parties: I was at El Gaucho for dinner last month and the table next to us was about a dozen 9 year-olds for a birthday. They were quiet and polite, but……………….where do you go from there?

14. me says:

Capt Ralph: I don’t know if I should laugh or be appalled. A dozen 9 year olds for a party at the El Gaucho?

For folks that don’t know, El Gaucho is an upscale restaurant here in Seattle. Steaks go from $50-$100.

Crazy.

15. steph says:

oh no.
    we’re heading there in an hour for my son’s 9th. this is the ONLY thing he wanted.

i’ll leave my weapons at home.

🙂

16. me says:

steph: if there is a fight, please capture in on video. we can become youtube sensations overnight.

17. Blake says:

I’m half-joking, but what’s up with this world where 9 year olds want to go to dinner at a nice restaurant where they can’t run around, blow bubbles in their milk, hit their siblings, throw stuff at their friends, and generally cause mayhem… much less cost $50?

When I was 9 I don’t think I even knew it was POSSIBLE for a dinner to cost more than MAYBE $20. I was more concerned with being able to run, play, and cause general mayhem. It was only when I discovered girls that dinner became something that didn’t involve juvenile antics. 😉 Oh wait… Kate would disagree; better take that back.

#notetoself (and maybe helpful for someone else)

At times, we have to say ‘NO’ to good things to say ‘YES’ to the most important things.

We can't do it all.
Pray and choose wisely.
Then invest deeply. May our compassion not just be limited to the West or to those that look like us. Lifting up the people of Iraq, Iran, and Kurdistan in prayer after the 7.3 earthquake - including the many new friends I met on a recent trip to Iraq.

The death toll rises to over 400 and over 7,000 injured in multiple cities and hundreds of villages along the Western border with Iraq.

Lord, in your mercy... We are reminded again and again...that we are Resurrection People living in a Dark Friday world.

It's been a tough, emotional, and painful week - especially as we lament the horrible tragedy of the church shootings at Sutherland Springs. In the midst of this lament, I've been carried by the hope, beauty, and promise of our baptisms last Sunday and the raw and honest testimonies of God's mercy, love, and grace.

Indeed, God is not yet done. May we take heart for Christ has overcome the world. "Without genuine relationships with the poor, we rob them of their dignity and they become mere projects. And God did not intend for anyone to become our projects." Grateful this quote from my book, Overrated, is resonating with so many folks - individuals and  NGOs. / design by @preemptivelove .
May we keep working
on ourselves
even as we seek
to change the world.
To be about the latter
without the former
is the great temptation
of our times. Minhee and I are filled with gratitude as we reflect on the @onedayswages gala last night. So many friends and guests came to support our work...and of course, our scrappy staff, interns, and board. In 8 years, we've impacted 561,000 people around the world that are living in extreme poverty and vulnerable situations. This year, we are expecting to have our largest investment of grants at $1.3 million! Over the next couple weeks, I'm going to share some of those stories of impact.

But we need your help to keep growing this work. Because our pledge is for 100% of all donations to go directly to our partnerships, we're asking folks from around the world to consider becoming one of core supporters by simply pledging $25/month to support our operations. Go to give.onedayswages.org for more info.

photo: @vinylee