jesus and chuck e. cheese

Here’s why Jesus isn’t a fan of Chuck E. Cheese and another sign of the apocalypse:  Moms Brawl at Chuck E. Cheese

A child’s birthday party at a Chuck E. Cheese restaurant was cut short after a fight broke out between two mothers. Natick police said the mom of the 9-year-old birthday boy apparently became enraged because the other woman’s son was “hogging” an arcade game.

Sgt. Paul Thompson said Catherine Aliaga, 38, and Tarsha Williams, 33, both of Boston, would be summoned into court to answer charges of simple assault and battery stemming from the scuffle…He said what started as a birthday celebration turned into a “birthday melee.”

I know this story if funny but it’s also kinda funny in a not so funny way [How’s that for an overcomplexified sentence?].  I admit that every now and then, our family goes there [on a weekday around 3pm when it’s mostly empty].  The pizza’s mediocre but I like going there to enjoy the arcades games for .25.  I can hog the games and bully the kids around when their moms aren’t watching.  But after attending a kid’s birthday part [on a Saturday afternoon] couple years ago, my wife and I vowed never to go there again for a birthday party.  I am convinced that no matter how gracious Jesus is, He would never attend a birthday party at Chuck E. Cheese.  Here’s why:

• Jesus likes your home.  What ever happened to inviting friends, family, and neighbors to your home?  Some may not have homes that can accomodate all their guests so I understand that but there are better options that Chuck E. Cheese.
  • Jesus like simplicity.  Why do parents always feel like we have to entertain people and kids with stuff?  Enough with keeping up with the Jones’.  I told Minhee I’m busting out my guitar to play an hour of the “Freeze Game” for my son’s upcoming party in June.  That’s as fancy as it gets.
  • Jesus likes conversations and community.  Have you ever been to Chuck E. Cheese during the weekends?  It is utter chaos. I don’t remember a single conversation with any of the parents.  You are so busy trying to get your voice heard that you simply can’t enjoy the children or the conversations that you’re having with other parents.  Simply, Chuck E. Cheese doesn’t = good conversations & community building and the last time I checked, Jesus was about good conversations and community building.  And of course, the Kingdom of God but that’s another post.
  • Jesus likes peace.  Jesus did not come for two moms to fight over hogging etiquettes at Chuck E. Cheese.  But goodness, if this was captured on video, it would be an instant YouTube hit.  Just say no to fighting at Chuck E. Cheese.  This isn’t the only incident at CEC.  Check out this newstory from earlier in the year:

It was jammed packed. Too packed. Like a club,” said witness Margie Waters.

Baker will never look at the mouse the same way again.

“Chuck E. Cheese was singing. And Chuck E. Cheese saw the fight,” she said.

Baker and Chuck E. Cheese weren’t the only ones who saw it. Baker’s uncle did, too.

“You know, it was just crazy,” he said.

In fact, authorities say up to 80 people may have been involved. Several teenagers apparently started it.

Police soon broke out the pepper spray.

“We were, like, ‘Stop, stop. You’re spraying the babies. You’re spraying the babies,‘” Waters said. [read full story]

• Last but not least, Jesus does not like Rats. Who in their right mind likes rats?  Seriously, we’re allowing big Rats to entertain our kids and lead them in the birthday song?
cec_logo.gif

Filed under: entertainment, family, religion,

1. Julie says:

Thanks for a good laugh as we start another week!

2. Daniel says:

I went to a party last year to CEC and let me say, it was the closest experience to a riot. Kids were crazy and parents chasing after kids.

3. jenny says:

oh jesus!! spare him from this.

4. alece says:

“Jesus does not like rats”. Gotta love that.

5. Chad says:

🙂 i’m gonna have to move my bookmark to your blog to my “humor” folder. keep it up, laughing is good for the soul.

6. Dan Hauge says:

“Chuck E. Cheese–worst imaginary corporate birthday party host ever?” Discuss.

7. daniel so says:

Eugene — I’m pretty sure Jesus likes all you can eat salad bars, though 😉

Speaking of simplicity, part of the reason we love our daughter’s preschool is their “no elaborate birthday gift bag” rule. Her teachers told us how parents were using their kids’ birthdays as an excuse to outdo one another so they instituted a simplicity rule — just bring a little snack, and no over the top Pokemon/princess/whatever gift packs.

8. rexhamilton says:

I agree with having parties at home. My son turns 4 this summer and we’re going to do some fun pre-school olympic games since the Summer Games will be happening this year in China. Of course, we’ll exclude the medals…podiums…and the whole winners / losers thing. But maybe we can fit national anthems in since my son is half-Chinese…:)

9. びっくり says:

You know, when I was a kid we could invite one guest for each year old we were. That kept the party size small enough to fit in the house. Also, we were encouraged to play outdoor games. I would think Marymoor Park would make a better party than CEC. Maybe a BBQ at Shilshoe? I think Jesus would approve of playing with kids by the seashore or under the trees. 🙂 Thanks for the post.

10. Nic says:

I happen to disagree with Jesus “not liking” Chuck or his Cheese. As a kid, CeC was a sort of ‘Mecca’ (pardon the non-biblical religious analogy)…let’s go with temple of Jerusalem to the Jews. Since we know from his own words that Jesus is a huge fan of the kids, and the necessity of we as adults having a childlike faith, I think JC is waiting for the day when Christ-followers rise up and take over the temple of Cheese much like He did with the Jewish temple in his day. Chuck and his band could lead us in worship, we’d have pizza potlucks, give out game tokens for memorizing bible verses, baptismals in the ball pit, change Whack-a-mole to Whack-a-devil, etc… That’s my 2 cents.

11. chenster22 says:

i had some good memories at chuck e cheese. i think every kid had theirs at chuck e cheese’s growing up.

this incident will make me think twice about future birthday parties. haha.

12. Rebecca says:

I still love the sermon story about the little girl why says, “I love Chuck E Cheese!!!”

And I have fond memories of the place, back in the day. It was my favorite place to party when I was three. But I agree that Jesus would not support the fighting, no matter how awesome skeeball is.

13. Capt Ralph says:

We, I confess, went to CEC when it first opened (20 yrs ago) for b-day parties. I always took along aspirin – and the pizza was horrible. Now, for “over-the-top” parties: I was at El Gaucho for dinner last month and the table next to us was about a dozen 9 year-olds for a birthday. They were quiet and polite, but……………….where do you go from there?

14. me says:

Capt Ralph: I don’t know if I should laugh or be appalled. A dozen 9 year olds for a party at the El Gaucho?

For folks that don’t know, El Gaucho is an upscale restaurant here in Seattle. Steaks go from $50-$100.

Crazy.

15. steph says:

oh no.
    we’re heading there in an hour for my son’s 9th. this is the ONLY thing he wanted.

i’ll leave my weapons at home.

🙂

16. me says:

steph: if there is a fight, please capture in on video. we can become youtube sensations overnight.

17. Blake says:

I’m half-joking, but what’s up with this world where 9 year olds want to go to dinner at a nice restaurant where they can’t run around, blow bubbles in their milk, hit their siblings, throw stuff at their friends, and generally cause mayhem… much less cost $50?

When I was 9 I don’t think I even knew it was POSSIBLE for a dinner to cost more than MAYBE $20. I was more concerned with being able to run, play, and cause general mayhem. It was only when I discovered girls that dinner became something that didn’t involve juvenile antics. 😉 Oh wait… Kate would disagree; better take that back.

Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. Thanks for your prayers.
I have numerous stories to share but for now, the following came up in every conversation with Iraqi/Syrian refugees:

1 Have tea with us. Or coffee. Or juice. Or something with lots of sugar in it. Or better yet, all of the above.
2 We want peace. We want security.
3 We hate ISIS.
4 We just want to go home.
5 Please don't forget us.

Please don't forget them... Father, please bless and protect these Iraqi and Syrian "refugee" children that have already endured so much. Protect their hearts and mind from unfathomable trauma. Plant seeds of hope and vision in their lives. And as we pray for them, teach us how to advocate for them. Amen. "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." -  local Iraqi priest whose church has welcomed many "relatives" to their church's property

It's always a privilege to be invited into peoples' home for tea - even if it's a temporary tent. This is an extended Yezidi family that fled the Mosul, Iraq area because of ISIS. It's indeed true that Christians were targeted by ISIS and thatbstory muat be shared but other minority groups like the Yezidis were also targeted. Some of their heartbreaking stories included the kidnapping of their sister. They shared that their father passed away shortly of a "broken heart." The conversation was emotional but afterwards, we asked each other for permission to take photos. Once the selfies came out, the real smiles came out.

So friends: Pray for Iraq. Pray for the persecuted Church. Pray for Christians, minority groups like the Yezidis who fear they will e completely wiped out in the Middle East,, and Muslims alike who are all suffering under ISIS. Friends: I'm traveling in the Middle East this week - Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. (Make sure you follow my pics/stories on IG stories). Specifically, I'm here representing @onedayswages to meet, learn, and listen to pastors, local leaders, NGOs, and of course directly from refugees from within these countries - including many from Syria.

For security purposes, I haven't been able to share at all but I'm now able to start sharing some photos and stories. For now, I'll be sharing numerous photos through my IG stories and will be sharing some longer written pieces in couple months when ODW launches another wave of partnerships to come alongside refugees in these areas. Four of us are traveling together also for the purpose of creating a short documentary that we hope to release early next year.

While I'm on my church sabbatical, it's truly a privilege to be able to come to these countries and to meet local pastors and indigenous leaders that tirelessly pursue peace and justice, and to hear directly from refugees. I've read so many various articles and pieces over the years and I thought I was prepared but it has been jarring, heartbreaking,  and gut wrenching. In the midst of such chaos, there's hope but there's also a lot of questions, too.

I hope you follow along as I share photos, stories, and help release this mini-documentary. Please tag friends that might be interested.

Please pray for safety, for empathy, for humility and integrity, for divine meetings. Pray that we listen well; To be present and not just be a consumer of these vulnerable stories. That's my biggest prayer.

Special thanks to @worldvisionusa and @worldrelief for hosting us on this journey. 9/11
Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.

Today, I had some gut wrenching and heart breaking conversations about war, violence, and peacemaking. Mostly, I listened. Never in my wildest imagination did I envision having these conversations on 9/11 of all days. I wish I could share more now but I hope to later after I process them for a few days.

But indeed: Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.
May it be so. Amen. Mount Rainier is simply epic. There's nothing like flying in and out of Seattle.

#mountrainier
#seattle
#northwestisbest

• Boom. Final fishing trip. Grateful. A nice way to end my 3 month sabbatical. #catchandrelease twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 1 day ago
  • Christians: May we be guided by the Scriptures that remind us, "Seek first the Kingdom of God" and not, "Seek first the kingdom of America." || 1 day ago
  • Every convo with Iraqi/Syrian refugees included: 1 Have tea with us 2 We want peace 3 We hate ISIS 4 We want to go home 5 Don't forget us || 4 days ago
  • Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan to assess @OneDaysWages' partnerships & to film mini-documentary on refugee crisis. So many emotions. || 4 days ago
  • Pray for Mexico. For those mourning loved ones. For those fighting for life - even under rubbles. For rescue workers. Lord, in your mercy. || 4 days ago
  • Don't underestimate what God can do through you. God has a very long history of using foolish and broken people for His purposes and glory. || 6 days ago