kiss me

I am scared for the day when my three kids will be too cool to kiss me when I say, “Give daddy a kiss.”

Below is a picture of my son [my youngest] when he was a little under one.  Nearing five now and with concern, I count these precious days when I’m still cool enough for him.

n794635576_1431426_84.jpg

Filed under: family

1. Janet says:

So cute.

I was referring to your son – just in case!

2. Don Bryant says:

My dad, all 5 feet 5 of him, would put his arms around me and reach up and kiss me on the cheek until the day he died at 73. And now this 5 feet 9 inches man who is 58 (me) kisses my two sons who are both 6 feet 2 inches. I made a promise to myself (not hard to keep) that all my life long my sons will be kissed, hugged, held. And now that they are 26 and 23 and both in their PhD work and sophisticated and smarter than their dad, I still grab onto to them whenever I can. They love it. Don’t stop.

3. ashu4india says:

sometimes emotion or feeling need to be expressed.
    I appreciate your feelings.

4. jasdye says:

i also hope my daughter never loses wanting (or at least tolerating) being kissed.

5. insipid "g" says:

dude… that ain’t no kiss! you’re swallowing his face! if i was your son, i would be scared too! :O

6. dockin80 says:

hey man, I get that too. My baby daughter is so wonderful. I’m taking classes right now and away from her, and she learned to walk while I was away. The video message my wife sent to my phone made me tear up. Thanks for the post man.

7. gar says:

Call me a nerdy teacher, but this picture made me think of how birds care for their young babies – by regurgitating half-digested food into their little ones’ mouths. Haha.

8. Ben says:

i hope to have a family myself one day, but can’t even begin to imagine what it’d be like to have a kid of your own.

9. Mrs.K. says:

I can totally relate. I can remember when I wanted my dad to stop kissing me and I sincerely hope that my kids won’t ever get to that point. Of course, our kisses will inevitably change from the wet kisses on the mouth that we get now to kisses on the cheek, but I still hope for that. My kids love to give kisses so much that we have to tell them to kiss certain people on the cheek because they so naturally go for the lips. That works for us, Grandparents and aunts, but the married in uncles aren’t so keen on it. I don’t blame them…they can be pretty slobbery. 🙂

10. me says:

gar: actually, i was chewing up some bulgogi and kimchee and feeding my son. you got to do what you got to do.

We have to remind ourselves of this truth every day lest we forget:

Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant.

Be faithful.

PS: Also, it helps to get some Vitamin D especially if you live in the rainy Northwest Thank you, Brooklyn, for the reminder. Umm, @jlin7 is a Christian but he wasn't very Christlike with me on the basketball court. He muscled me into the paint, dunked on me, mentioned my momma, and then said, "Stick with preaching." Just kidding. Kind of.

If you haven't heard, Jeremy Lin is donating his one games wages (approximately $140,000) and an additional $100 for every 3 pointer made to support Girls' Empowerment and Education through @onedayswages. That game is this Friday vs the Boston Celtics!

Join his campaign as he's inviting his fans to donate just $7. - http://onedayswages.org/jlin

Did you know that 32 million girls of lower secondary school age are not enrolled in school.

Did you know that every year of secondary school increases a girl’s future earning power by 20 percent.

Did you know that if all girls in Sub-Saharan Africa, South and West Asia had a secondary education, child marriage would fall by 64 percent.

We can't change the entire world but we can impact the lives of one, few, and in some cases...many.

#jeremylin #jlin #linsanity #onedayswages Don't be held captive to either praise or criticism.

Know who you are.
Know what you're about.
Know WHO you serve.

The answer to who you serve makes all the difference... It's the day after International Women's Day - and it's still important to celebrate the contribution of women in our lives, society, and world. As we honor women all around the world, I'm also reminded of how women and children are those who are most deeply impacted by injustice - especially poverty.

Sadly, I have witnessed this reality in too many places. ​In 2012, I traveled to a remote area in Eastern Kenya as part of a @onedayswages response to a famine that struck the Horn of Africa region. This famine impacted nearly 13 million people and according to some sources, took the lives of about 250,000 people. During my trip there, I had the chance of meeting many people but the person that still remains in my memory was a Muslim woman named Sahara.

She was so hospitable in inviting us to her small and temporary home. During our conversation, I learned that ​Sahara traveled 300 kilometers (a little under 200 miles) – some by cart and some by foot – as they sought to escape the worst drought that has impacted East Africa (Kenya, Somalia, and Ethiopia) in the past 60 years.

This is not a misprint.
200.

She traveled about 200 miles on cart and foot. ​And all along, she was ill. If you look closely ​at the photo, you might notice the large lump in her throat - likely a large cancerous tumor.​ She did not travel alone. She traveled with her husband who I was not able to meet because he was staying with one of his five other wives in this polygamist community.  She did not travel alone. She also traveled with her six children – the youngest being about 1 and the oldest being around 8. She had just given birth to her sixth child when they began her journey. Her youngest was severely malnourished when they arrived to this new settlement in a town called Benane.
Sahara and her children all survived this journey. They survived because she persisted.
In honor of Sahara...and so many other women who keep...keeping on. I have to remind myself of this every day...because I can forget every day:

Don't be lazy and make assumptions about people. Ask about their story. Then listen. Be humble. Be teachable. Be human. Be a good neighbor.