kiss me

I am scared for the day when my three kids will be too cool to kiss me when I say, “Give daddy a kiss.”

Below is a picture of my son [my youngest] when he was a little under one.  Nearing five now and with concern, I count these precious days when I’m still cool enough for him.

n794635576_1431426_84.jpg

Filed under: family

1. Janet says:

So cute.

I was referring to your son – just in case!

2. Don Bryant says:

My dad, all 5 feet 5 of him, would put his arms around me and reach up and kiss me on the cheek until the day he died at 73. And now this 5 feet 9 inches man who is 58 (me) kisses my two sons who are both 6 feet 2 inches. I made a promise to myself (not hard to keep) that all my life long my sons will be kissed, hugged, held. And now that they are 26 and 23 and both in their PhD work and sophisticated and smarter than their dad, I still grab onto to them whenever I can. They love it. Don’t stop.

3. ashu4india says:

sometimes emotion or feeling need to be expressed.
    I appreciate your feelings.

4. jasdye says:

i also hope my daughter never loses wanting (or at least tolerating) being kissed.

5. insipid "g" says:

dude… that ain’t no kiss! you’re swallowing his face! if i was your son, i would be scared too! :O

6. dockin80 says:

hey man, I get that too. My baby daughter is so wonderful. I’m taking classes right now and away from her, and she learned to walk while I was away. The video message my wife sent to my phone made me tear up. Thanks for the post man.

7. gar says:

Call me a nerdy teacher, but this picture made me think of how birds care for their young babies – by regurgitating half-digested food into their little ones’ mouths. Haha.

8. Ben says:

i hope to have a family myself one day, but can’t even begin to imagine what it’d be like to have a kid of your own.

9. Mrs.K. says:

I can totally relate. I can remember when I wanted my dad to stop kissing me and I sincerely hope that my kids won’t ever get to that point. Of course, our kisses will inevitably change from the wet kisses on the mouth that we get now to kisses on the cheek, but I still hope for that. My kids love to give kisses so much that we have to tell them to kiss certain people on the cheek because they so naturally go for the lips. That works for us, Grandparents and aunts, but the married in uncles aren’t so keen on it. I don’t blame them…they can be pretty slobbery. 🙂

10. me says:

gar: actually, i was chewing up some bulgogi and kimchee and feeding my son. you got to do what you got to do.

#notetoself (and maybe helpful for someone else)

At times, we have to say ‘NO’ to good things to say ‘YES’ to the most important things.

We can't do it all.
Pray and choose wisely.
Then invest deeply. May our compassion not just be limited to the West or to those that look like us. Lifting up the people of Iraq, Iran, and Kurdistan in prayer after the 7.3 earthquake - including the many new friends I met on a recent trip to Iraq.

The death toll rises to over 400 and over 7,000 injured in multiple cities and hundreds of villages along the Western border with Iraq.

Lord, in your mercy... We are reminded again and again...that we are Resurrection People living in a Dark Friday world.

It's been a tough, emotional, and painful week - especially as we lament the horrible tragedy of the church shootings at Sutherland Springs. In the midst of this lament, I've been carried by the hope, beauty, and promise of our baptisms last Sunday and the raw and honest testimonies of God's mercy, love, and grace.

Indeed, God is not yet done. May we take heart for Christ has overcome the world. "Without genuine relationships with the poor, we rob them of their dignity and they become mere projects. And God did not intend for anyone to become our projects." Grateful this quote from my book, Overrated, is resonating with so many folks - individuals and  NGOs. / design by @preemptivelove .
May we keep working
on ourselves
even as we seek
to change the world.
To be about the latter
without the former
is the great temptation
of our times. Minhee and I are filled with gratitude as we reflect on the @onedayswages gala last night. So many friends and guests came to support our work...and of course, our scrappy staff, interns, and board. In 8 years, we've impacted 561,000 people around the world that are living in extreme poverty and vulnerable situations. This year, we are expecting to have our largest investment of grants at $1.3 million! Over the next couple weeks, I'm going to share some of those stories of impact.

But we need your help to keep growing this work. Because our pledge is for 100% of all donations to go directly to our partnerships, we're asking folks from around the world to consider becoming one of core supporters by simply pledging $25/month to support our operations. Go to give.onedayswages.org for more info.

photo: @vinylee