kiss me

I am scared for the day when my three kids will be too cool to kiss me when I say, “Give daddy a kiss.”

Below is a picture of my son [my youngest] when he was a little under one.  Nearing five now and with concern, I count these precious days when I’m still cool enough for him.

n794635576_1431426_84.jpg

Filed under: family

1. Janet says:

So cute.

I was referring to your son – just in case!

2. Don Bryant says:

My dad, all 5 feet 5 of him, would put his arms around me and reach up and kiss me on the cheek until the day he died at 73. And now this 5 feet 9 inches man who is 58 (me) kisses my two sons who are both 6 feet 2 inches. I made a promise to myself (not hard to keep) that all my life long my sons will be kissed, hugged, held. And now that they are 26 and 23 and both in their PhD work and sophisticated and smarter than their dad, I still grab onto to them whenever I can. They love it. Don’t stop.

3. ashu4india says:

sometimes emotion or feeling need to be expressed.
    I appreciate your feelings.

4. jasdye says:

i also hope my daughter never loses wanting (or at least tolerating) being kissed.

5. insipid "g" says:

dude… that ain’t no kiss! you’re swallowing his face! if i was your son, i would be scared too! :O

6. dockin80 says:

hey man, I get that too. My baby daughter is so wonderful. I’m taking classes right now and away from her, and she learned to walk while I was away. The video message my wife sent to my phone made me tear up. Thanks for the post man.

7. gar says:

Call me a nerdy teacher, but this picture made me think of how birds care for their young babies – by regurgitating half-digested food into their little ones’ mouths. Haha.

8. Ben says:

i hope to have a family myself one day, but can’t even begin to imagine what it’d be like to have a kid of your own.

9. Mrs.K. says:

I can totally relate. I can remember when I wanted my dad to stop kissing me and I sincerely hope that my kids won’t ever get to that point. Of course, our kisses will inevitably change from the wet kisses on the mouth that we get now to kisses on the cheek, but I still hope for that. My kids love to give kisses so much that we have to tell them to kiss certain people on the cheek because they so naturally go for the lips. That works for us, Grandparents and aunts, but the married in uncles aren’t so keen on it. I don’t blame them…they can be pretty slobbery. 🙂

10. me says:

gar: actually, i was chewing up some bulgogi and kimchee and feeding my son. you got to do what you got to do.

Nothing grows by itself. If something matters to us, may we be intentional about growing it.

Invest. Pray. Plant. Water. Nurture. Repeat. God sees and knows us. In fact, God knows everything about us.

Not just the good we try so hard to project but even the mess we often seek to hide.

Let this soak in: Not only are we fully known but in Christ, we are fully pursued and loved.

This is grace.
Amazing grace. Hairstyles change. Sideburn fads come and go but may our commitment to love, honor, respect, and be on mission together for Christ never waver.

Thank you, Minhee. I love you so much even if you made fun of my hairstyle and sideburns. I missed you, Seattle. Grateful for a time to pray, rest, retreat, read, reflect, and sabbath. I've spent the last 12 days in the woods alone. Competely alone. It's been both haunting and refreshing. Haunting because of loneliness. Refreshing because through the silence, I am reminded - again - that I'm not alone. Emmanuel.

Also, bought myself a cheap kayak and loving the solitude time in nature. Also, the kayak is paying instant dividends in my bass fishing game. #sabbathrest #bassfishing #catchandrelease There's nothing selfish about rest and self-care. We can't give what we don't have. Experience life and we'll be life-giving to others. Amen.

#NoteToSelf