kiss me

I am scared for the day when my three kids will be too cool to kiss me when I say, “Give daddy a kiss.”

Below is a picture of my son [my youngest] when he was a little under one.  Nearing five now and with concern, I count these precious days when I’m still cool enough for him.

n794635576_1431426_84.jpg

Filed under: family

1. Janet says:

So cute.

I was referring to your son – just in case!

2. Don Bryant says:

My dad, all 5 feet 5 of him, would put his arms around me and reach up and kiss me on the cheek until the day he died at 73. And now this 5 feet 9 inches man who is 58 (me) kisses my two sons who are both 6 feet 2 inches. I made a promise to myself (not hard to keep) that all my life long my sons will be kissed, hugged, held. And now that they are 26 and 23 and both in their PhD work and sophisticated and smarter than their dad, I still grab onto to them whenever I can. They love it. Don’t stop.

3. ashu4india says:

sometimes emotion or feeling need to be expressed.
    I appreciate your feelings.

4. jasdye says:

i also hope my daughter never loses wanting (or at least tolerating) being kissed.

5. insipid "g" says:

dude… that ain’t no kiss! you’re swallowing his face! if i was your son, i would be scared too! :O

6. dockin80 says:

hey man, I get that too. My baby daughter is so wonderful. I’m taking classes right now and away from her, and she learned to walk while I was away. The video message my wife sent to my phone made me tear up. Thanks for the post man.

7. gar says:

Call me a nerdy teacher, but this picture made me think of how birds care for their young babies – by regurgitating half-digested food into their little ones’ mouths. Haha.

8. Ben says:

i hope to have a family myself one day, but can’t even begin to imagine what it’d be like to have a kid of your own.

9. Mrs.K. says:

I can totally relate. I can remember when I wanted my dad to stop kissing me and I sincerely hope that my kids won’t ever get to that point. Of course, our kisses will inevitably change from the wet kisses on the mouth that we get now to kisses on the cheek, but I still hope for that. My kids love to give kisses so much that we have to tell them to kiss certain people on the cheek because they so naturally go for the lips. That works for us, Grandparents and aunts, but the married in uncles aren’t so keen on it. I don’t blame them…they can be pretty slobbery. 🙂

10. me says:

gar: actually, i was chewing up some bulgogi and kimchee and feeding my son. you got to do what you got to do.

Window seat. For the win. As leaders, we must not see ministry and family as competing commitments.  We must not sacrifice our marriage and kids for the sake of "ministry." How can we? Loving our families IS ministry & good leadership.

And on a side note, we took this goofy photo for Mother's Day last Sunday at @seattlequest. I was shocked! What in the world happened to our kids? Our 13 year old son blocked four of my shots on the basketball court yesterday. He's since been grounded... I fear that we ask God to move mountains, forgetting that God also wants to move us.

In fact, it's possible that we are that mountain. Time flies. The eldest is wrapping up her 1st year in college and the college tours have begun for the 2nd child. The youngest enters high school in the Fall. Can't say enough about how proud Minhee and I are of the kids - not just of their accomplishments but the people they are and are becoming.

But...man...we can't wait to party it up when we're emptynesters. Party at our house. It's going to be epic. Humbled. Grateful. Mindful of God's grace and faithfulness in my life. It's all grace... It's an unexpected honor to be invited back - even with some mini-drama - to @princetonseminary to receive the 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award - exactly 25 years after starting my journey there as a student in 1992. Wow.

Princeton isn't necessarily for everyone. And to say that I loved everything about my experience would be misleading but it was very formative. Ir challenged me to examine why I believed in what I believed. It reminded me that God could handle my questions. It prepared me for a post-Christian context where I am not entitled to be heard but I had to earn the right to be heard, and of course, it taught me that all is good with a Philly cheese steak at Hoagie Haven.

No one is an island to themselves and I am certainly an example of that. Many people - women and men, young and old, and of many backgrounds - prayed, encouraged, mentored, and loved me along the way. Grateful for my professors at seminary, my many classmates, and the numerous fellow staff and co-laborers I've had the privilege of serving Christ with past and present. And of course, I'm forever inspired by my parents, my children, and my wife, Minhee. Thank you for your faith, hope, and love...and oh, for your patience. Only your family will know and see both the best and worst of you. They've seen my worst...and keep on believing in me.

Thank you again, PTS and President Barnes, for this honor. Then, today, and tomorrow...by God's grace, just striving to be faithful to my Lord and Savior...to preach and live out the convictions of the whole Gospel. Amen. So humbled and grateful to be with @catalystleader in Cincinnati to encourage leaders from all around the country about the invitation to Uncommon Fellowship.

Preached from John 4. We can talk, preach, sing, philsophize, liturgize, and spit rhymes about Samaria...but we still have to talk through Samaria.

• Heartbroken. Praying for Manchester & the UK. For those mourning loved ones. For those injured and fighting for life. Lord, in your mercy. || 1 day ago
  • Window seat. For the win. https://t.co/yG66Sm2bvu || 3 days ago
  • As leaders, we must not sacrifice our family for the sake of ministry because loving our family IS good leadership: instagram.com/p/BUVAGVwg-5z/ || 3 days ago
  • We long for a Gospel that comforts but resist the Gospel that disrupts. Having the former without the latter seduces us into complacency. || 3 days ago
  • Love wins in the end but in the meanwhile,it fights for things that matter. Love isn't sentimental. It's both gentle & fierce. Love endures. || 4 days ago
  • This is what we love to do. Empowering local, indigenous leaders to serve their own communities. Thanks for your su… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 5 days ago