i thought bill gates was my friend

bill-gates-ad.jpg

All along…I thought Bill Gates was my friend.  But he hasn’t returned any of my requests.  What’s up Bill?

He was generous enough [through the Gates Foundation via the Seattle Foundation] to throw several G’s to help with the vision of Q Cafe in the early years.  However, he hasn’t returned any of my friend requests on Facebook.  I thought we were tight like that but after couple months, I hadn’t heard from him.  I was starting to take it personally but I know he’s been busy with with the transition from Microsoft.  But then again, I figured he’d now have some extra time with retirement.  Or maybe he’s secretly upset that Yahoo has initially spurned Microsoft’s offer?  Or maybe he’s bummed about Starbucks no longer offering sandwiches at their “cafes?”  Or maybe he’s upset about the real estate prices in Seattle?  The Sonics likely move out of Seattle?

What’s up Billy?

But today, I found out why he hasn’t returned my friend request…

[h/t Seattlest] Just months after spending $240 million to own a portion of the company, Bill Gates has removed his personal Facebook profile. Gates had supposedly purchased a small portion of the social-networking company because he’d so enjoyed using the website. However, after Gate’s investment in the company and his personal profile came to light, the Microsoft founder was inundated with friend requests. The London Sun reported that Gates was receiving up to 8,000 friend requests a day and the management of his page simply became too much for him to handle. Beyond the thousands of friend requests, Gates was also disturbed by the group invitations he was getting, including strange fan sites and others using his name in some less-than-flattering ways.

Alright Bill.  I understand.  It’s not easy getting so many friend requests.  I get a few myself as I average 3 every month.  So, just go ahead and give me a call.  We’ll do Pho @ Than Brothers again and this time, it’s on me.

Seriously though, Bill and Melinda are a few of my heroes.  I really do want to have coffee with them someday so if anyone has any connections, let me know.  I’ve got some hookups for some free coffee.

Filed under: entertainment, technology, ,

1. Jerry says:

Umm, 8000 friend requests/day? Add all the stupid facebook requests and who wouldn’t want to delete their account!

2. leochen says:

“Gates was also disturbed by the group invitations he was getting, including strange fan sites and others using his name in some less-than-flattering ways.”

I’m having the same problem on Facebook. Seriously! =)

3. Ben C says:

The son and daughter of the first CFO at Microsoft went to high school with me. The two are pretty tight with Mr. Gates and I sometimes hang out at their house next door to him. I can give them a ring? 😀

4. DK says:

Ok. His number is 206-IAM-RICH.

5. Blake says:

Yeah, but Leo… if I understand correctly, you started it. 😉

6. Dan W says:

I once saw on TV where Bill’s favorite Seattle restaurant is Dick’s Drive-in. I’m not kidding. So maybe offer him a Dick’s Deluxe instead.

7. me says:

Dan,

Dick’s Deluxe? I’m very disappointed that he doesn’t prefer Red Mill Burgers over Dick’s. I don’t know if I can be friends with him anymore.

8. j says:

Eugene

Here we go again…..first you start with who is the best coffee….now you just started which burger is the best Dick’s vs. Red Mill Burgers…….

DICK’S all the way!

9. Blake says:

We HAD to go here, eh? 😉 Then fine… time to play the SoCal trump card: In-‘N -Out

“That’s what a hamburger’s all about!”

10. Iranian Ajax says:

Bill Gates rocks.

Has anyone heard of an article floating around the web that essentially tries to make the case that Macs are for liberals and PCs are for conservatives?

Hmmmm..

Iranian Ajax

11. j says:

Blake,

Good one. Had one yesterday, and boy was it good. However, i am concerned about ethical treatment of those cows. Since we are all so concerned about the humane treatment of coffee bean pickers, i think we should also consider cows treatment as well. For some, they are treated as God…for others, they are treated as Aliens….for others, they are treated no different than bingo the dog.

I stand for Cow Rights!

Make sure those cows are not from Chino, CA. You will know you ate meat from Chino, CA if when others notice foaming in your mouth

12. askbusinesscoach says:

YOU NEED TO SEE IF HIS BUDDY STEVE JOBS WILL TALK WITH YOU. MAKE SURE YOU TELL HIM THAT BILL SENT YOU!

Made it to 47 years old this psst week. Grateful for God's grace and all those who believed in me, prayed for me, encouraged me, invested in me, forgave me, fed me, loved me, and _____ me.

I've come a long way since my first school picture  at the age of 6 - the age I immigrated to the United States. And long way to go. You can do it, sun. Break through the clouds. I love her. Saturday morning date at Pike Market with @minheejcho. Enjoying the final day of sun before 6 months of rain and gray. Not lol'ing. Some of my moat memorable travels have been to Myanmar (otherwise known as Burma). In fact, the vision of @onedayswages began on my first visit to this country in 2006. On a recent visit, I began learning about the Rohingya people. Sadly, it has escalated to horrendous, genocidal proportions.

Thus far, about 500,000 people have been driven out from Myanmar through violence...with most going to Bangledesh...regulated to a massive refugee camp. Stateless. Undocumented. Minority groups. Dehumanized. Homes and villages destroyed. And so much more unspeakable atrocities.

Yes, it's complex and messy. It always is. But the root of this injustice as the case for so much brokeness in the world is the sin of dehumanizing one anotber as..."the other." May we see each person, including the Rohingya people, as one who is created in the image of God. It's the truth and the remedy to the incessant dehumanization that goes on in our world.

Lord, in your mercy. The obedience of discipleship which includes the work of justice is a marathon. It's long, arduous, and emotional. Be tenacious. But also take care of yourself. Create healthy rhythms. Don't burn out. We need you for the marathon. Friends, don't give up. Press on. In the midst of so much chaos in the world, may we continue to cling to the hope of the whole Gospel. May we cling unto Jesus:

Way maker!
Miracle worker!
Promise keeper!
Light in the darkness!
That is who You are!

What an encounter with the Holy Spirit at @seattlequest today. Grateful for our worship team, the gospel choir, and the Audio/Visual team. Thank you Matt, Teresita, and Chris. Please thank all the volunteers for us.