i thought bill gates was my friend

bill-gates-ad.jpg

All along…I thought Bill Gates was my friend.  But he hasn’t returned any of my requests.  What’s up Bill?

He was generous enough [through the Gates Foundation via the Seattle Foundation] to throw several G’s to help with the vision of Q Cafe in the early years.  However, he hasn’t returned any of my friend requests on Facebook.  I thought we were tight like that but after couple months, I hadn’t heard from him.  I was starting to take it personally but I know he’s been busy with with the transition from Microsoft.  But then again, I figured he’d now have some extra time with retirement.  Or maybe he’s secretly upset that Yahoo has initially spurned Microsoft’s offer?  Or maybe he’s bummed about Starbucks no longer offering sandwiches at their “cafes?”  Or maybe he’s upset about the real estate prices in Seattle?  The Sonics likely move out of Seattle?

What’s up Billy?

But today, I found out why he hasn’t returned my friend request…

[h/t Seattlest] Just months after spending $240 million to own a portion of the company, Bill Gates has removed his personal Facebook profile. Gates had supposedly purchased a small portion of the social-networking company because he’d so enjoyed using the website. However, after Gate’s investment in the company and his personal profile came to light, the Microsoft founder was inundated with friend requests. The London Sun reported that Gates was receiving up to 8,000 friend requests a day and the management of his page simply became too much for him to handle. Beyond the thousands of friend requests, Gates was also disturbed by the group invitations he was getting, including strange fan sites and others using his name in some less-than-flattering ways.

Alright Bill.  I understand.  It’s not easy getting so many friend requests.  I get a few myself as I average 3 every month.  So, just go ahead and give me a call.  We’ll do Pho @ Than Brothers again and this time, it’s on me.

Seriously though, Bill and Melinda are a few of my heroes.  I really do want to have coffee with them someday so if anyone has any connections, let me know.  I’ve got some hookups for some free coffee.

Filed under: entertainment, technology, ,

1. Jerry says:

Umm, 8000 friend requests/day? Add all the stupid facebook requests and who wouldn’t want to delete their account!

2. leochen says:

“Gates was also disturbed by the group invitations he was getting, including strange fan sites and others using his name in some less-than-flattering ways.”

I’m having the same problem on Facebook. Seriously! =)

3. Ben C says:

The son and daughter of the first CFO at Microsoft went to high school with me. The two are pretty tight with Mr. Gates and I sometimes hang out at their house next door to him. I can give them a ring? 😀

4. DK says:

Ok. His number is 206-IAM-RICH.

5. Blake says:

Yeah, but Leo… if I understand correctly, you started it. 😉

6. Dan W says:

I once saw on TV where Bill’s favorite Seattle restaurant is Dick’s Drive-in. I’m not kidding. So maybe offer him a Dick’s Deluxe instead.

7. me says:

Dan,

Dick’s Deluxe? I’m very disappointed that he doesn’t prefer Red Mill Burgers over Dick’s. I don’t know if I can be friends with him anymore.

8. j says:

Eugene

Here we go again…..first you start with who is the best coffee….now you just started which burger is the best Dick’s vs. Red Mill Burgers…….

DICK’S all the way!

9. Blake says:

We HAD to go here, eh? 😉 Then fine… time to play the SoCal trump card: In-‘N -Out

“That’s what a hamburger’s all about!”

10. Iranian Ajax says:

Bill Gates rocks.

Has anyone heard of an article floating around the web that essentially tries to make the case that Macs are for liberals and PCs are for conservatives?

Hmmmm..

Iranian Ajax

11. j says:

Blake,

Good one. Had one yesterday, and boy was it good. However, i am concerned about ethical treatment of those cows. Since we are all so concerned about the humane treatment of coffee bean pickers, i think we should also consider cows treatment as well. For some, they are treated as God…for others, they are treated as Aliens….for others, they are treated no different than bingo the dog.

I stand for Cow Rights!

Make sure those cows are not from Chino, CA. You will know you ate meat from Chino, CA if when others notice foaming in your mouth

12. askbusinesscoach says:

YOU NEED TO SEE IF HIS BUDDY STEVE JOBS WILL TALK WITH YOU. MAKE SURE YOU TELL HIM THAT BILL SENT YOU!

This was 10 years ago. I dominated my son in wrestling and I know what you're thinking, "How could you employ a rear chokehold armbar kimura on your own son?" Hey, a competition is a competition.

I love you, son. The world is broken. This ia a sad truth. But the story of redemption is not yet finished. God is not yet done. This is the ultimate Truth. Have hope. Press on. Ten years ago, I witnessed one of those "God things" when a church called Interbay Covenant Church gave itself, its legacy, and a building property worth $7 million dollars to @seattlequest. We were then only 5 years old.

Quest is an urban, multiethnic churchplant that started in 2001. We rented the facilities at Interbay Covenant Church - a predominantly older, mostly Anglo congregation with a rich 65 years history. After some time, Pastor Ray Bartel (senior pastor, Interbay) approached me with a "crazy idea" of Interbay "dying to itself and giving itself to Quest" for the sake of the greater Kingdom and the coming generations.

This eventually led to three years of many conversations and prayers. On June 3, 2007, the two churches officially came together to become one church. In giving itself, Interbay also shared their leadership, legacy, and stories. They also gave all of their assets without any strings and without any debt.

Their radical generosity and courage is what enabled Quest to grow - not just numerically - but deeper in discipleship, and deeper in missions - to the city of Seattle and beyond. On the occasion of the 10th anniversary of this merger, we created a short film (check my FB page to see the video) to tell the story - so that our church and the next generations may never forget and that the larger Church may be stirred and encouraged by a greater Kingdom vision.

Thank you, Interbay! The NBA season is over but the hustle and grind continues for my daughter. We argue sometimes but I love training my daughter. She's working hard for her senior year next year. Starting point guard. She's improved a lot. She's one of the quickest players on the floor and has a great midrange jumper. But trying to get her to keep working on her handles, using her off hand and shoulder to protect the ball,  staying and dribbling the ball lower to the ground, and playing aggressive and downhill while remaining in control. That's what we're working on this week. #hoopdreams #ChovarBall Reunited with my favorite elephant, Buh'loom. We bonded earlier this year and I'd like to think that she recognized my voice. Also, appreciate learning about ethical and sustainable eco-tourism. Anywhere. Everywhere. Night markets are the best.