i thought bill gates was my friend

bill-gates-ad.jpg

All along…I thought Bill Gates was my friend.  But he hasn’t returned any of my requests.  What’s up Bill?

He was generous enough [through the Gates Foundation via the Seattle Foundation] to throw several G’s to help with the vision of Q Cafe in the early years.  However, he hasn’t returned any of my friend requests on Facebook.  I thought we were tight like that but after couple months, I hadn’t heard from him.  I was starting to take it personally but I know he’s been busy with with the transition from Microsoft.  But then again, I figured he’d now have some extra time with retirement.  Or maybe he’s secretly upset that Yahoo has initially spurned Microsoft’s offer?  Or maybe he’s bummed about Starbucks no longer offering sandwiches at their “cafes?”  Or maybe he’s upset about the real estate prices in Seattle?  The Sonics likely move out of Seattle?

What’s up Billy?

But today, I found out why he hasn’t returned my friend request…

[h/t Seattlest] Just months after spending $240 million to own a portion of the company, Bill Gates has removed his personal Facebook profile. Gates had supposedly purchased a small portion of the social-networking company because he’d so enjoyed using the website. However, after Gate’s investment in the company and his personal profile came to light, the Microsoft founder was inundated with friend requests. The London Sun reported that Gates was receiving up to 8,000 friend requests a day and the management of his page simply became too much for him to handle. Beyond the thousands of friend requests, Gates was also disturbed by the group invitations he was getting, including strange fan sites and others using his name in some less-than-flattering ways.

Alright Bill.  I understand.  It’s not easy getting so many friend requests.  I get a few myself as I average 3 every month.  So, just go ahead and give me a call.  We’ll do Pho @ Than Brothers again and this time, it’s on me.

Seriously though, Bill and Melinda are a few of my heroes.  I really do want to have coffee with them someday so if anyone has any connections, let me know.  I’ve got some hookups for some free coffee.

Filed under: entertainment, technology, ,

1. Jerry says:

Umm, 8000 friend requests/day? Add all the stupid facebook requests and who wouldn’t want to delete their account!

2. leochen says:

“Gates was also disturbed by the group invitations he was getting, including strange fan sites and others using his name in some less-than-flattering ways.”

I’m having the same problem on Facebook. Seriously! =)

3. Ben C says:

The son and daughter of the first CFO at Microsoft went to high school with me. The two are pretty tight with Mr. Gates and I sometimes hang out at their house next door to him. I can give them a ring? 😀

4. DK says:

Ok. His number is 206-IAM-RICH.

5. Blake says:

Yeah, but Leo… if I understand correctly, you started it. 😉

6. Dan W says:

I once saw on TV where Bill’s favorite Seattle restaurant is Dick’s Drive-in. I’m not kidding. So maybe offer him a Dick’s Deluxe instead.

7. me says:

Dan,

Dick’s Deluxe? I’m very disappointed that he doesn’t prefer Red Mill Burgers over Dick’s. I don’t know if I can be friends with him anymore.

8. j says:

Eugene

Here we go again…..first you start with who is the best coffee….now you just started which burger is the best Dick’s vs. Red Mill Burgers…….

DICK’S all the way!

9. Blake says:

We HAD to go here, eh? 😉 Then fine… time to play the SoCal trump card: In-‘N -Out

“That’s what a hamburger’s all about!”

10. Iranian Ajax says:

Bill Gates rocks.

Has anyone heard of an article floating around the web that essentially tries to make the case that Macs are for liberals and PCs are for conservatives?

Hmmmm..

Iranian Ajax

11. j says:

Blake,

Good one. Had one yesterday, and boy was it good. However, i am concerned about ethical treatment of those cows. Since we are all so concerned about the humane treatment of coffee bean pickers, i think we should also consider cows treatment as well. For some, they are treated as God…for others, they are treated as Aliens….for others, they are treated no different than bingo the dog.

I stand for Cow Rights!

Make sure those cows are not from Chino, CA. You will know you ate meat from Chino, CA if when others notice foaming in your mouth

12. askbusinesscoach says:

YOU NEED TO SEE IF HIS BUDDY STEVE JOBS WILL TALK WITH YOU. MAKE SURE YOU TELL HIM THAT BILL SENT YOU!

"He Makes All Things New." In other words, Christ is our eternal hope. I'm sitting in my swinging bench on the comforts of my front porch after an exhilarating and exhausting day at church. It never gets tiring, stale, or old to preach and proclaim the good news of the Gospel - not just on Resurrection Sunday but every week as we gather as the body of Christ.

But it was this picture of Coptic Christians in Egypt pouring into churches on Easter Sunday that deeply moved my heart...just a week after two churches were bombed by ISIS terrorists taking 45 lives and injuring hundreds.

Even in the face of persecution and suffering, I'm so grateful for the witness of these sisters and brothers in Christ. May they be comforted and strengthened...and wherever you are reading this post, stay encouraged. Be faithful and steadfast. Don't give up. May we keep running the race set before us as we fix our eyes on Christ.

It's not just there. It's all over the world...God is still at work. The Holy Spirit is still moving. God is not yet done. There's only one explanation:
Christ has risen! He has risen, indeed! Jesus is alive! Hallelujah! #OneChurch Remember, there is no Resurrection without the Crucifixion; No Easter Sunday without Passion Friday; No empty tomb without the Cross.

So, before we move too swiftly to the celebration of the risen Christ, may we sit at the foot of the Cross...and consider the depths of His sacrifice and love. "Oh, what love is this..." Just when we think we get what it means to follow Him, Jesus washes the feet of His disciples including...the one He knew would betray Him,

and the one that would deny him,

and the others that would abandon Him in His greatest need.

What amazing love.
What amazing grace. Oh. What. Amazing. Grace. M(inhee) + E(ugene). Not taking anything for granted. 20 years = 7300 days = 175,200 hours. A flourishing  marriage doesn't just happen. The idea that two Christians who choose to get married will produce a Christ honoring marriage is a gigantic myth. Its also extremely dangerous. The truth is that it takes so much intentionality and work. Intimacy definitely includes physical touch but is not only about physical touch. We have to pray, read, listen, learn, mutually submit, confess, forgive, repent, laugh, dream, rest, play, and the list goes on.

In other words, we have to keep Christ at the center because it's inevitable, there's a lot of messing up. So much messing up. It's both beautiful and painful and without grace, it's impossible.

Grateful. Thank you, Jesus, for your grace. And thank you, Minhee...

• Take heart. Press on. Be encouraged. Christ is still risen. || 1 day ago
  • It's not Easter. Crowds may be smaller. But may we preach the Gospel w/ deep conviction; That we truly believe that the tomb is still empty. || 1 day ago
  • Looking for a church in Seattle? Join us tomorrow to hear a word from this woman of God. The tomb is still empty! twitter.com/LizVerHage/sta… || 1 day ago
  • The degradation of our environment impacts all but the reality is that poor communities suffer most...perpetuating the injustice of poverty. || 1 day ago
  • Caring for God's creation should always be part of our stewardship. In other words, it's not optional but an essential part of discipleship. || 1 day ago
  • Fantastic @CTmagazine piece about @gailsongbantum, Executive Pastor @SeattleQuest. Inspired by her story/leadership: christianitytoday.com/women-leaders/… || 3 days ago