i thought bill gates was my friend

bill-gates-ad.jpg

All along…I thought Bill Gates was my friend.  But he hasn’t returned any of my requests.  What’s up Bill?

He was generous enough [through the Gates Foundation via the Seattle Foundation] to throw several G’s to help with the vision of Q Cafe in the early years.  However, he hasn’t returned any of my friend requests on Facebook.  I thought we were tight like that but after couple months, I hadn’t heard from him.  I was starting to take it personally but I know he’s been busy with with the transition from Microsoft.  But then again, I figured he’d now have some extra time with retirement.  Or maybe he’s secretly upset that Yahoo has initially spurned Microsoft’s offer?  Or maybe he’s bummed about Starbucks no longer offering sandwiches at their “cafes?”  Or maybe he’s upset about the real estate prices in Seattle?  The Sonics likely move out of Seattle?

What’s up Billy?

But today, I found out why he hasn’t returned my friend request…

[h/t Seattlest] Just months after spending $240 million to own a portion of the company, Bill Gates has removed his personal Facebook profile. Gates had supposedly purchased a small portion of the social-networking company because he’d so enjoyed using the website. However, after Gate’s investment in the company and his personal profile came to light, the Microsoft founder was inundated with friend requests. The London Sun reported that Gates was receiving up to 8,000 friend requests a day and the management of his page simply became too much for him to handle. Beyond the thousands of friend requests, Gates was also disturbed by the group invitations he was getting, including strange fan sites and others using his name in some less-than-flattering ways.

Alright Bill.  I understand.  It’s not easy getting so many friend requests.  I get a few myself as I average 3 every month.  So, just go ahead and give me a call.  We’ll do Pho @ Than Brothers again and this time, it’s on me.

Seriously though, Bill and Melinda are a few of my heroes.  I really do want to have coffee with them someday so if anyone has any connections, let me know.  I’ve got some hookups for some free coffee.

Filed under: entertainment, technology, ,

1. Jerry says:

Umm, 8000 friend requests/day? Add all the stupid facebook requests and who wouldn’t want to delete their account!

2. leochen says:

“Gates was also disturbed by the group invitations he was getting, including strange fan sites and others using his name in some less-than-flattering ways.”

I’m having the same problem on Facebook. Seriously! =)

3. Ben C says:

The son and daughter of the first CFO at Microsoft went to high school with me. The two are pretty tight with Mr. Gates and I sometimes hang out at their house next door to him. I can give them a ring? 😀

4. DK says:

Ok. His number is 206-IAM-RICH.

5. Blake says:

Yeah, but Leo… if I understand correctly, you started it. 😉

6. Dan W says:

I once saw on TV where Bill’s favorite Seattle restaurant is Dick’s Drive-in. I’m not kidding. So maybe offer him a Dick’s Deluxe instead.

7. me says:

Dan,

Dick’s Deluxe? I’m very disappointed that he doesn’t prefer Red Mill Burgers over Dick’s. I don’t know if I can be friends with him anymore.

8. j says:

Eugene

Here we go again…..first you start with who is the best coffee….now you just started which burger is the best Dick’s vs. Red Mill Burgers…….

DICK’S all the way!

9. Blake says:

We HAD to go here, eh? 😉 Then fine… time to play the SoCal trump card: In-‘N -Out

“That’s what a hamburger’s all about!”

10. Iranian Ajax says:

Bill Gates rocks.

Has anyone heard of an article floating around the web that essentially tries to make the case that Macs are for liberals and PCs are for conservatives?

Hmmmm..

Iranian Ajax

11. j says:

Blake,

Good one. Had one yesterday, and boy was it good. However, i am concerned about ethical treatment of those cows. Since we are all so concerned about the humane treatment of coffee bean pickers, i think we should also consider cows treatment as well. For some, they are treated as God…for others, they are treated as Aliens….for others, they are treated no different than bingo the dog.

I stand for Cow Rights!

Make sure those cows are not from Chino, CA. You will know you ate meat from Chino, CA if when others notice foaming in your mouth

12. askbusinesscoach says:

YOU NEED TO SEE IF HIS BUDDY STEVE JOBS WILL TALK WITH YOU. MAKE SURE YOU TELL HIM THAT BILL SENT YOU!

My Padawan. My son. My youngest. Encouraging him to not just hit the hoop courts but also the books. Minhee and I met these college boys when we first arrived in Seattle in 1997. They were part of our bible study that we led in our apartment for college students. They were also among the group of 7 people that helped start @seattlequest.

Much has changed in the world...but not their friendship and love. Thank you Jin and George. We love and honor you. These are crazy times in our country and larger world but nevertheless, we're going to keep pursuing the things that God has placed upon our hearts. We're pressing forward...doing our part to reflect mercy, compassion, and justice - locally and globally.

Wednesdays are my @onedayswages office day and I especially love the culmination of hard work for our interns, volunteers, 2 full-time staff, and board as we collaborate with our NGO partners. This week, we signed these checks as we granted out over $75,000 to provide better health care for mothers and their families in Mali and Nepal.

THANK YOU for making this possible Your classic play it cool because you're visiting your old stomping grounds at Princeton and pretend you're not cold but in actuality, you're freezing picture. 20 years, 2 weeks, and counting. What a journey with this woman. I love her...and I want to keep growing in love, honor, and respect. Great to catch up with @jlin7 in Brooklyn at the Nets game. Grateful for his partnership with @onedayswages to support our Girls' Empowerment Fund. The season hasn't been what he hoped for with major injuries...but we can't wait to see you back on the court soon and do what you do. Stay encouraged, brother. Thanks for your faithful witness for Christ.