i thought bill gates was my friend

bill-gates-ad.jpg

All along…I thought Bill Gates was my friend.  But he hasn’t returned any of my requests.  What’s up Bill?

He was generous enough [through the Gates Foundation via the Seattle Foundation] to throw several G’s to help with the vision of Q Cafe in the early years.  However, he hasn’t returned any of my friend requests on Facebook.  I thought we were tight like that but after couple months, I hadn’t heard from him.  I was starting to take it personally but I know he’s been busy with with the transition from Microsoft.  But then again, I figured he’d now have some extra time with retirement.  Or maybe he’s secretly upset that Yahoo has initially spurned Microsoft’s offer?  Or maybe he’s bummed about Starbucks no longer offering sandwiches at their “cafes?”  Or maybe he’s upset about the real estate prices in Seattle?  The Sonics likely move out of Seattle?

What’s up Billy?

But today, I found out why he hasn’t returned my friend request…

[h/t Seattlest] Just months after spending $240 million to own a portion of the company, Bill Gates has removed his personal Facebook profile. Gates had supposedly purchased a small portion of the social-networking company because he’d so enjoyed using the website. However, after Gate’s investment in the company and his personal profile came to light, the Microsoft founder was inundated with friend requests. The London Sun reported that Gates was receiving up to 8,000 friend requests a day and the management of his page simply became too much for him to handle. Beyond the thousands of friend requests, Gates was also disturbed by the group invitations he was getting, including strange fan sites and others using his name in some less-than-flattering ways.

Alright Bill.  I understand.  It’s not easy getting so many friend requests.  I get a few myself as I average 3 every month.  So, just go ahead and give me a call.  We’ll do Pho @ Than Brothers again and this time, it’s on me.

Seriously though, Bill and Melinda are a few of my heroes.  I really do want to have coffee with them someday so if anyone has any connections, let me know.  I’ve got some hookups for some free coffee.

Filed under: entertainment, technology, ,

1. Jerry says:

Umm, 8000 friend requests/day? Add all the stupid facebook requests and who wouldn’t want to delete their account!

2. leochen says:

“Gates was also disturbed by the group invitations he was getting, including strange fan sites and others using his name in some less-than-flattering ways.”

I’m having the same problem on Facebook. Seriously! =)

3. Ben C says:

The son and daughter of the first CFO at Microsoft went to high school with me. The two are pretty tight with Mr. Gates and I sometimes hang out at their house next door to him. I can give them a ring? 😀

4. DK says:

Ok. His number is 206-IAM-RICH.

5. Blake says:

Yeah, but Leo… if I understand correctly, you started it. 😉

6. Dan W says:

I once saw on TV where Bill’s favorite Seattle restaurant is Dick’s Drive-in. I’m not kidding. So maybe offer him a Dick’s Deluxe instead.

7. me says:

Dan,

Dick’s Deluxe? I’m very disappointed that he doesn’t prefer Red Mill Burgers over Dick’s. I don’t know if I can be friends with him anymore.

8. j says:

Eugene

Here we go again…..first you start with who is the best coffee….now you just started which burger is the best Dick’s vs. Red Mill Burgers…….

DICK’S all the way!

9. Blake says:

We HAD to go here, eh? 😉 Then fine… time to play the SoCal trump card: In-‘N -Out

“That’s what a hamburger’s all about!”

10. Iranian Ajax says:

Bill Gates rocks.

Has anyone heard of an article floating around the web that essentially tries to make the case that Macs are for liberals and PCs are for conservatives?

Hmmmm..

Iranian Ajax

11. j says:

Blake,

Good one. Had one yesterday, and boy was it good. However, i am concerned about ethical treatment of those cows. Since we are all so concerned about the humane treatment of coffee bean pickers, i think we should also consider cows treatment as well. For some, they are treated as God…for others, they are treated as Aliens….for others, they are treated no different than bingo the dog.

I stand for Cow Rights!

Make sure those cows are not from Chino, CA. You will know you ate meat from Chino, CA if when others notice foaming in your mouth

12. askbusinesscoach says:

YOU NEED TO SEE IF HIS BUDDY STEVE JOBS WILL TALK WITH YOU. MAKE SURE YOU TELL HIM THAT BILL SENT YOU!

These are crazy, turbulent times. Fight the good fight. Run the race set before us.

But we also need you for the long haul. Don't burn out. Discipleship and justice work is a marathon. Learn to take care of yourself. Don't play the victim. It's far too tempting to blame others. Be rooted in prayer, Scripture, and community. It's okay to pause, critical to rest and retreat, and godly to practice Sabbath.

#NoteToSelf Everyone loves the idea of  reconciliation...until it involves truthtelling, confessing, repenting, dismantling, forgiving, and peacemaking. Charlottesville. So heartbreaking and infuriating. We weep and mourn over the hatred in the hearts of these white nationalists. We weep and mourn but we can't be defeated.

As I stare at this photo that's making its round on the internet, I'm reminded of the utter importance of showing up. I'm grateful for the news media, law enforcement, clergy, and peaceful protesters that are currently there to report, protect, pray, and protest.

And this is an invitation to us. May we not be mere bystanders. May we keep pressing forward. Seek justice. Love mercy. Walk humbly. Commit to truth-telling, justice, reconciliation, peacemaking. Follow the ways of Christ. Every day. And it's important to note that we don't have to go to Charlottesville to do this. In fact, it's more important that we do this exactly where we're at. May we live out the call to reconciliation in our churches, workplaces, neighborhoods, schools, and around our dining tables. Lord, may it be so... We don't have to go to Charlottesville to do this. We have to do this wherever were called to be.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” ~ Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. /// Thanks to those who let me know that the photo wasn't actually from today but rather from last month in Charlottesville. - https://www.facebook.com/FrankSomervilleKTVU/posts/1551137301616258:0 Grateful for a spontaneous, last minute trip with Minhee to my old stomping grounds - San Francisco. 48 hours of visiting this special city that I called home for so many years.

Pic 1: Went to the Cliff House restaurant where we got engaged about 21 years ago to make out. Oops, sorry, I meant...to reflect on God's faithfulness over these many years.

Pic 2: Walked across the Golden Gate Bridge because it's such an iconic place - with some of the most incredible views.

Pic 3: Enjoyed a glass of some Cabernet Sauvignon and pretended to be wine connoisseurs at a vineyard.

Pic 4: Had lunch at my favorite Chinese restaurant, Sam Tung, which boasts some of the best chicken in the country. And of course, we ate at In-n-out.

Pic 5: And finally, celebrated with the good folks at @thefreedomstory where @onedayswages received their annual Freedom Award. What an honor.

Grateful. Thankful for this sabbatical. Breathe.

Show yourself some grace.

We can't do everything for everyone in every situation. Do what you can and do it with a joyful heart.

Amen A family that eats sushi together stays together.

Seriously, I don't ever remember eating so much as a teenager but these kids eat and eat and eat. Perhaps, the reason why this kid is pushing 6 feet tall. Grateful for a special treat with the family at @JaponessaSeattle.