jazz and live music

I know I’ve been hawking the Q Cafe alot lately but it’s because I’m really excited about Q Cafe 2.0.  Things are still a little slow but the momentum is growing.  Please stop by and enjoy a great cup of coffee or tea.  You will love your cup of coffee – I guarantee it.   If you don’t enjoy your cup of coffee, I’ll either pay off your mortage, college tuition, or remaining car payments!  Jazz – with Victor Puentes and friends – is featured for a special show at Q Cafe tonight [Tuesday, February 12].  Doors open at 7.30pm and cover is ONLY $3.

Quick question:  Are there any local artists in the Northwest that you’d love to see at the Q Cafe?  Give us your ideas, suggestions, and feedback.

You can check QCafe also on MySpace as well. Because our Friday [or Sat] shows are our featured shows, we have to say “no” to many of the requests we get. Please don’t get angry. However, our live music coordinator is scheduling a monthly show featuring both scheduled and spontaneous artists for an Open Mic Showcase. Here are some of the upcoming shows.  You’ll love all of these artists but if there’s one show to catch, my pick would be Andy Davis [this Friday]:

02/12/2008 08:00 PM::JAZZ SHOWCASE, with Victor Puentes and Friends::
 – $3 Q Cafe Presents our first Jazz Showcase of 2008, featuring Victor Puentes and Friends! Doors at 7:30

02/15/2008 08:00 PM::ANDY DAVIS, JOHN VAN DEUSEN (The Lonely Forest) and GARAGE VOICE::
$8 Doors at 7:30

02/22/2008 08:00 PM::CASEY FRAZIER, VAN GROSS (CD Release!), ANDI FRANCOEUR (CD Release!)::
$5 Doors at 7:30 Van Gross and Andi Francoeur CD Release show!!! That, folks, is what we call a double dip.

02/29/2008 08:00 PM::DANIELLE HUNICH (EP Release!) with BGP::
$10 Doors at 7:30 As this is Danielle Hunich’s EP Release show, a CD is included in the admission price!

03/07/2008 08:00 PM::THE YOUNG SPORTSMEN, YOGOMAN BURNING BAND, THE GEESE::

_c032454.jpg

Filed under: entertainment, , , ,

1. Ben C says:

I’m excited to try my first doppio at Q Cafe!

2. Jerry says:

I’d love to see Aaron Sprinkle again at Q Cafe.

3. mike says:

yep and thank for a link on myspace I also love to drink cofee here 🙂

4. j says:

please pay for my mortgage or remaining balance of my car

5. Rebecca says:

I do in fact love the coffee! Gotta love a place that can make a good sugar-free-vanilla-americano-with-an-inch-of-steamed-soy.

Looking forward to Andy Davis…

6. nicholei says:

i always thought it’d be cool to see greg sczebel at the q cafe. he’s an artist from vancouver b.c. http://www.gregsczebel.com

In our culture, we can be so obsessed with the "spectacular" or "glamorous." The Church often engagws in thia language and paradigm...but what if God has called many of us to small, ordinary things?

Will we still be faithful?
Will we still go about such things with great love and joy?

I recently came across this picture taken by @mattylew, one of our church staff...and I started tearing up: This is my mother; in her 70s; with realities of some disabilities that make it difficult for her to stand up and sit down...but here she is on her knees and prostate in prayer. She doesn't have any social media accounts, barely knows how to use her smartphone, doesn't have a platform, hasn't written a book, doesn't have any titles in our church, isn't listed as a leader or an expert or a consultant or a guru. But she simply seeks to do her best - by God's grace - to be faithful to God. She prays for hours every day inteceding for our family, our church, and the larger world.

Even if we're not noticed or celebrated or elevated...let's be faithful. Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant. And not even successful in the eyes of the world.

Be faithful. Amen. #notetoself (and maybe helpful for someone else)

At times, we have to say ‘NO’ to good things to say ‘YES’ to the most important things.

We can't do it all.
Pray and choose wisely.
Then invest deeply. May our compassion not just be limited to the West or to those that look like us. Lifting up the people of Iraq, Iran, and Kurdistan in prayer after the 7.3 earthquake - including the many new friends I met on a recent trip to Iraq.

The death toll rises to over 400 and over 7,000 injured in multiple cities and hundreds of villages along the Western border with Iraq.

Lord, in your mercy... We are reminded again and again...that we are Resurrection People living in a Dark Friday world.

It's been a tough, emotional, and painful week - especially as we lament the horrible tragedy of the church shootings at Sutherland Springs. In the midst of this lament, I've been carried by the hope, beauty, and promise of our baptisms last Sunday and the raw and honest testimonies of God's mercy, love, and grace.

Indeed, God is not yet done. May we take heart for Christ has overcome the world. "Without genuine relationships with the poor, we rob them of their dignity and they become mere projects. And God did not intend for anyone to become our projects." Grateful this quote from my book, Overrated, is resonating with so many folks - individuals and  NGOs. / design by @preemptivelove .
May we keep working