obama, clinton, and mccain

During the Lent season, I’ve been thinking that one of the things I should considering letting go is “politics.”  I’ve been spending a bit too much time on the internet and tube but it’s been difficult to resist as there’s definitely something different…  As I’ve shared before:  Never in my thoughts did I imagine that in my lifetime, I would experience the legitimate candidacy of the following three individuals:  a candidate [John McCain] at the age of 72 [if voted] and 80 if he completes 2 terms; a woman [Hilary Clinton], and an African-American [Barack Obama].

Again, while I do not believe policies, politics, and politicians are THE answer, Christ followers ought to be involved in the process to work with others in using the system to DO GOOD.  I intend to vote in the February 19 primary and will do more due diligence in voting for a presidential candidate between the two party representatives on November 4.  I have no party affiliation but will seek to support the candidate “who will give us the greatest freedom to proclaim the gospel, live it out, and provide the system closest to what we think is gospel-like.” [Scot McKnight]  FYI, Quest Church will be a voting location on February 19 as well.

This blog’s presidential “caucus” has produced some great conversations and support for respective candidates.  Since the majority of the support appeared to be for Obama, I thought I’d share couple links that will be worth your time to consider the other two candidates:

What I Want Rabid Obama Supporters to Understand by An Angry Asian Mans Supporting Hilary Clinton for President.

I’ve also been reflecting on this comment from the Jesus Creed and some dialogue about McCain

…I guess what i am trying to say is that we know we are living in a broken world. Bad things happen to good people. Bad things happen to bad people. There are rich people who are bad, as well as rich people who are good. God sends rain on the rightous and the wicked.

People seem to be trying to fix this broken world through the government, they have good intentions. It is tough to see poverty and suffering and injustice. But man did this when we sinned, the world is broken. We can not fix it through organizations run by man.

The good news is that Jesus came to mend it, through his Church pain and suffering are eased but not removed. Jesus told us life would be hard and painful, but there is a better place. We should do the best while we are here to help those in need while sharing the Gospel with them. I think we should pray to God for help and guidance on the best way to do this. I have trouble trusting a government that does not believe in a higher power than itself, and that seems to be where we are heading. If and when government gets too much power they think they are god and do not have to answer for anything it does, that is a real danger. It has happened before and will probably happen again…”

Filed under: politics, religion, , ,

1. Tim D. says:

I hear you. It’s been very exciting to start caring again about politics and with technology, just seems to be all around me. Thanks for sharing some of your thoughts. I agree that your blog is one of the best blogs.

2. godfactauthor says:

HI Eugene

As our priest said in the sermon on Sunday. Lent is a time to sacrifice those things that have a hold on you. But does that mean giving up on speaking out for justice and a government that will uphold the sacredness of life? Of course not. I’m a Catholic author from New Zealand who has two books available in the US. I’ve sent a request to add you on Facebook.

God bless

3. Tess says:

Would you explain how the Washington delegate system works?
    In other words, how can you hold both caucuses and primary?
    And how, then, is it decided what number of delegates candidates get from each??

Totally confused!

4. How come Huckabee is not an option. He is the only christian candidate. We have seen our country without GOD. Isn’t it time to bring GOD back?

5. me says:

teri from texas: he’s certainly still an option since he hasn’t removed himself from the primaries. but, you have to admit he has a very long, long, long shot.

as for your question about “isn’t it time to bring GOD back?” – wasn’t george w. bush supposed to do that? and while huckabee might be more similar to your christian spirituality, i think we’d be wrong in thinking or believing that clinton, mccain, and obama aren’t christians.

6. uenomurakami says:

If you want to figure out the delegate system and all that you should check out CNN’s website – It is really comprehensive and really easy to understand. I used it to explain the system to a room full of Japanese. They got it (to some degree). I think you will find it helpful.

7. me says:

yes, you can do both here – technically.

for the democratic party, all the delegates were used during the caucus this past weekend. for the republican party, they split up the half of the delegates for the caucus and the other half for the primary coming up on the 19th.

confused? read the following for more clarification:

8. BEW says:

I hope this doesn’t come across as just a plug, but have you heard or read much of Greg Boyd’s thinking on the subject? He was interviewed by Charlie Rose a while back. The Myth of a Christian Nation is *really* good, as are his sermons and blog posts.

Here’s the Charlie Rose interview:

9. me says:

I’m a fan of Greg Boyd and have enjoyed watching that clip before. I haven’t read the book yet but check out his blog every now and then. Wished he opened up comments…

10. BEW says:

I also wish his blog was open to comments, but I can understand why it’s not.. he says a lot of things that could (unfortunately) be considered offensive to some. Opening his posts to comments could be Pandora’s Box for people who want to attack him in a public forum.

On the other hand, his church is taking a poll of their website users to get a feel for exactly how many people are out there listening to him (IIRC, they’ve got something like 9000 podcast subcribers) and how they can expand their presence online. One question asks if things like discussion boards, web chats, and online classes would be useful. So hopefully there will be an opportunity soon to engage with his ideas like that.

I will say this, though. I emailed him about a blog posting not too long ago and he took the time to respond thoughtfully. I think it’s pretty astonishing that someone as busy as he is would take the time to do that.

More directly to your original post, I found this comment interesting:

“Christ followers ought to be involved in the process to work with others in using the system to DO GOOD”

While I totally agree with you, I think I’ve given up on the hope that our system will ever be a consistent agent of good. It’s the nature of our democratic system entangled with our society’s continuing shift towards greed and self-interest. Slowly, the “stars and stripes” is being replaced with a flag straight out of Richie Rich. A white banner with a big gold dollar sign. We’re a nation of flat-out rich people.. yet our education system, our transportation infrastructure, our outreach to the poor both home and abroad are all crumbling. Why? Because apparently no one wants to pay for them. Even if some do, it would be political suicide for a candidate to stand up and say “You know what? We *really* need to raise taxes. A lot.” We can (and I will) continue to vote for the candidates that will work towards enacting good, but I’m learning not to place my hope in our government’s capacity to actually follow through.

PS – visited Q for the first time today and you’ve really done a great job there!

11. me says:

BEW: having comments open doesn’t necessarily mean you need to respond to stuff. i just let things play themselves out unless someone goes overboard. the issue is time since he must be pretty busy.

as for your comment, i agree but we need to keep trying. we need to keep our hope ultimately in the force of the GOOD, MERCY, and JUSTICE [the triune God] and work within the systems of this world.

in some way, when i read your comment, i almost thought you were describing the “C”hurch. we have must to repent and work towards as well.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Let's fully welcome refugees. Remember, refugees aren't terrorists...they're the ones fleeing away from violence, war, and terrorism.
Afraid? Me too. It's ok to acknowledge we're afraid since it confirms we're all...just...human. We're all afraid on some level especially when our culture seems to run on the currency of fear but as we live out our faith in Christ and more deeply embody compassion and love, fear begins to dissipate. It's also incredibly critical to know that agencies are implementing some of the most rigorous and thorough vetting ever.
My family hosted a Somalian Muslim family from a refugee camp years ago through @WorldRelief. It was eye opening, challenging (especially with language realities), and yet, encouraging...and we hope to host families again in the future as they resettle in a completely new and foreign city and country. It's a terrifying experience. And while not a refugee, I remember the first few months as an immigrant when I was six years old. To this day, I remember the kindness of folks that helped us through that transition. Lift a prayer for me as I'm privileged to collaborate in ministry here in Melbourne, Australia. Meeting with local pastors, teaching at the Justice Conference (10/21-22). Then, preaching at the Bridge Church on Sunday  Pray that in preaching the whole Gospel from the Scriptures, I may honor God, point people to Jesus, and be sensitive to the presence and power of the Holy Spirit. Amen. Interesting. The holy bench. Wow. And in a blink of an eye, this happened. The nights might be long but the years go by fast. #ParentProverbs #WhatHappenedToMy13YearOldSon This past week, @seattlequest celebrated its 15th Anniversary. In many ways, it feels like forever and in other ways, it just seemed like we just started yesterday.

Around May 2000, Minhee and I found out we were expecting a 2nd child. Then, we got another surprise. We felt a calling and stirring to plant a church. We told God, "This is horrible timing!" We left a thriving ministry that we started in the Seattle surburbs and felt compelled to move into the city to plant a new multiethnic church called Quest. To be honest, we were so scared. Minhee was pregnant. Our insurance was about to run out. But we ventured forth. Once I resigned from this church, I had plans, goals, strategies...and none of them materialized. Only bills and payments. I quickly found out that a Masters of Divinity degree - as cool as it may sound - is actually useless in society. No one wanted to hire me. I was unemployed for months. We were eventually on food stamps and DSHS insurance.

In December 2000, we welcomed our 2nd child to the world. When "T" was born, we cried more than the baby. Couple days later, I finally landed a job as the janitor at a Barnes & Noble store. It wasn't quite what I was envisioning but God really worked through this "valley season." And we finally felt peace about starting Quest. Seven people gathered in our living room and several months later on October 2001, Quest Church was officially launched.
It has not been easy. We've been hurt and worse, we learned we hurt people. More accurately, I hurt people. We've heard our share of criticisms and sometimes, even worse. I've been called my share of names. Too many to list. I've been too liberal, too conservative, too edgy, too rigid, too blunt, too passive. We spent many nights crying out to the Lord...for direction, for peace, for answers. We usually never got the answers we were wanting...but we always felt His presence - even during our valleys. To be honest, we still have many restless nights. In fact, I think we have had more restless nights these past two years than we did in the first two years.
But through it all. God has been so faithful and gracious. Thank you, Lord. The good ol' days when I just wanted to make music. My kids have no idea how coooooooool I was. #OriginalMacPowell

• It's my birthday today. Grateful for family/friends. Above all, Jesus: Grateful for life, gift of salvation & the privilege of serving You. || 1 day ago
  • Let's fully welcome refugees. Remember, refugees aren't terrorists...they're fleeing from violence, war, terrorism:…… || 1 day ago
  • Lift a prayer for me as I preach in Melbourne, Australia. That I may honor God, point to Jesus, be sensitive to HS: || 1 day ago
  • Political inclinations aside, you discover much about a person in defeat. Finish well. This is leadership, too. || 2 days ago
  • Left. Right. Liberal. Conservative. Whatever your adjective, followers of Christ ought to be for the sanctity of life - from womb to tomb. || 2 days ago
  • Politics and politicians frustrate me. However, we must engage politics b/c politics create policy & policy affects people & people matter. || 2 days ago