the next president?

Alright folks, let’s do it.  It’s time for the Beauty & Depravity’s Presidential caucus.  The election process is moving to the State of Washington this weekend.  While the results WILL matter this weekend, the Democratic nomination is going to be long time coming.

But I’d love to hear from you about who you’re leaning towards/supporting and why?  Don’t be shy about commenting.  Let’s try to have a healthy and engaging dialogue here.  It doesn’t matter if you’re from the States or not.  Please share:

1. Your current residence [state or country].
  2. Couple reasons why you’re voting or supporting a particular candidate for president.  Please don’t mention something fluffy like “hope.”   What are some of the bigger issues you’re wrestling through?

Feel free to post anonymously if you feel inclined.  We’ll tally up the votes by the end of next week and I’m certain that the winner of this blog’s caucus will ultimately be elected.

From the get go, I’ve had my sight on three candidates:  Clinton, McCain, and Obama.  I am still undecided how I’ll cast my vote this weekend but here’s some random thoughts I have of some of the remaining candidates:

John McCain  |  If it was any other election, I think he may have a legitimate chance but apparently, this is the election of “change.”  Hope he doesn’t change his stance on immigration to appease the “conservatives.”

Huckabee |  I may be guilty of name-ism but asides from his name, he’s surprised many including me.  Surprised he’s still here.

Ron Paul |  Do you vote for him for principle sake even if you know he has absolutely no chance?  I don’t agree with him on several fronts but he’s been the most honest and forthright conversationalist in my opinion.

Mitt Romney | Just once – I want to see his hair not perfect.

Hilary Clinton | Keep her husband from being in the spotlight.  Ask Bill to do what he does best – raise money.  I’ve been more and more impressed with her as weeks go by.

Barack Obama | I want to like him so much but I was growing tired of the “yes we can” and “hope” political rhetoric.  Finally beginning to hear substance about his vision and platform as he and Clinton go at it in recent weeks…

Filed under: pastors, religion

1. DK says:

1. California. 2. Well, I voted for Clinton. I very much like her experience and while change will be necessary, we’re being naive if we think radical change is going to happen in our government.

2. shaunking79 says:

1. Georgia. 2. I just voted for Barack on Super Tuesday and have never felt better about a vote in my entire life. My family has given to his campaign and this is something I never imagined doing. Let me give you three primary reasons why I am such a passionate supporter of the Obama campaign:

a. The excitement that Barack is bringing about in an amazing cross-section of people across this nation (and across the world – google it) is absolutely amazing. His perspective on the need to build national momentum to accomplish shared goals is fresh and is bringing people into the fold (like me) that are normally very cynical about the whole process.

b. I actually really like Barack’s experience and am very, very glad that he is not the typical career politician/Washington DC insider. I love his real life experience of coming from a single parent home, being born to a teenage mother, having a white mother and active white grandparents, an African father and a family in Kenya, having lived in Indonesia and Hawaii, etc. etc. Barack has a BA in International Relations from Columbia, his JD from Harvard (where he was the first African American editor of the Harvard Law Review), and was a Constitutional Law Professor @ University of Chicago for over 10 years.

His 8 years in the IL state senate, his time as a community organizer, a Civil Rights attorney, and more all make me very confident in his judgment and intellectual capacity to do well as President.

3. Lastly – Barack Obama can win the presidency. He is raising money at a greater pace than every other candidate combined, he has built enormous momentum across the entire country, polls well against all other candidates, and is not the divisive figure that Hillary is.

3. Nathan says:

Buchanan County, Missouri. I just voted for Ron Paul. As Joel Salatin said:

“I’ve never felt as comfortable with a Presidential candidate as I do this year with Ron Paul. Generally the conservatives worship Wall Street, the military industrial complex, and American empire building around the world. The liberals worship government agencies, government solutions, and never saw a tax they didn’t like or a baby worth saving. So where does a guy turn who wants small government, no subsidies, pro-life, no corporate welfare, and a hoe-your-own-garden military? Finally we have a candidate: Ron Paul.

Cheers.

4. worinld says:

MD

I’m up in the air. I’m a recovering republican, and am tired of what politics has become in this country. I’ve been looking at this outside of individual issues, but rather the way that the country is operating.

I love McCain for his willingness to work across party lines and I think his presidency can really go a long way in bringing a working relationship between the president’s office and both the democrats and republicans of the senate and house. of course, the Republicans might not be so friendly with McCain… (go figure).

My other choice is Barack. He’s hope and yes we can rhetoric has drawn me in. And, honestly, I really think that he has the ability to help unite a nation. what I’m worried about is his ability to unite the lawmakers that he has to work with.

hillary seems like the other frontrunner, but yeah, she’s a clinton, and the last clinton in office was impeached. I don’t see her uniting anything…

5. Dan Ra says:

Eugene,

Barack Obama. Bar None. Hillary Clinton will very well bring change to Washington. But that change will be regarding who’s president. The same Karl Rove-ian, divisive, money-driven politics will now plague the Democratic Party under her presidency.

Barack Obama is not running to get into the White House so much as he’s running to change the whole climate of America. This is the inspirational leader of our generation. No one questioned JFK, who was initially viewed as a young inexperienced playboy, or MLK, who rose up out of nowhere to start a civil revolution. Barack Obama is that person for our generation. I do not buy ANY of the Clintonian argument of experience or specificity. Specific policy will be thrown out the window when she sits in the Oval Office because she does not know everything that she will know if she becomes president. Many things will have to change. Barack Obama is running on the basis of PRINCIPLE and INTEGRITY of office. Things may change in his policies. But what will not change is his fervor for peace and unity in America of all citizens.

Also, Barack Obama is loved by the world. They see in him
    The last argument against Hillary. The Clinton name is a steak dinner for the Republicans. They’re waiting like a pack of starved vicious dogs to devour that name with all they have. Barack Obama is a stumbling block to their party. More Republicans are switching to vote for him. This is a confounding issue for the Republican establishment. They do not know how to deal with him. If Hillary becomes the nominee, look for a war-mongering, racist John McCain to become our president.

If you’re still not convinced, watch this video by Professor Lawrence Lessig of Stanford Law: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdDzvmY1XPo

Oh and one more thing. I feel very betrayed by Cali Asians for choosing Hillary. I sincerely believe they’ve made the biggest principled mistake by doing so. Barack Obama understands the Asian-American narrative MUCH more than Hillary Clinton. And that is a guarantee.

6. Dan Ra says:

Oops I meant to say the world actually sees a progressive America with Barack Obama. He IS an example of our global village. Kenyan Father, Kansan mother, Hawaii and Indonesia, Columbia and Harvard, south side of Chicago.

Eugene. Please do the right thing on the 9th. Please…

7. Ric Wild says:

1. New Hampshire. 2. Barack Obama. I almost wish I could say that my choice of one candidate over another was because I took a step back, “objectively” evaluated all the issues and then made an dispassionate decsion. But this is simply not the case. I find Obama’s personality (his tone, presence, attitude) very likeable, and, to be honest, likeability is a big factor for me. However, I also take very seriously his work as a community organizer, his senate ethics reform, and his Christian commitment that looks nothing like the commitments of conservative evangelicalism (a.k.a Religious Right). I also think he can actually do what everyone knows they need to do which is work across party lines. I would like to think Hilary could do this but I find her just as polarizing as George Bush.

8. James says:

Dan,

I think the post asked for “healthy” dialogue rather than your bantering and name slinging. This is what I hate about politics. People get deluded when they hear the same stuff over and over again either from the camp or from the media. Much of what you shared is straight from the mouth of spin. And your comment that Senator McCain is a racist is simply uncalled for.

As to the original question, I am CHOOSING not to vote.

9. Dennis says:

For the reasons that Nathan mentioned, I am voting for Ron Paul. It’s a very corrupted and broken system and it will take a long to remedy but we need to destroy the current political system. It is broken…and no one wants to admit it because they are all part of this matrix.

10. rexhamilton says:

Kirkland, Washington. My gut is going with Obama at this point. I don’t consider myself to be too loyal to either side and while I find Mcain likeable and capable, it’s his stance on Homeland Security that has me worried. The fact that this has been his number one issue and to see his immense rise to the top of the republican candidates tells me just how fearful the people of America are. The politicians and media help fuel those fears which will then only lead to more ane more spending on war and defense. I do feel it is an issue…I only wish we had a healthier approach to it.

In the long run, what I believe is that no matter who becomes president, what really matters are the people they choose to surround themselves with. We’ve seen this big time with Bush. He simply chose poorly in who would work along side him and influence his decisions. This is what I pray for…a president who will surround him/herself with those who have integrity, wisdom, and our people’s best interests at heart.

11. Dan Ra says:

James,

The McCain comment wasn’t spin. It was passion-driven. I apologize for the tone. I’m an Asian-American so when I heard that he still uses the word ‘gook’ I was pretty mad. And with regard to spin, I believe it. Selling Obama is a by-product of something I believe deep down inside.

12. chad says:

1. Washington 2. voting for Obama. i too wish i could get a little more subtance; a little more than telling me we need “change.” anyone can see things need to change. how will he do it? however, i don’t hear anyone else talking about what they actually plan on doing, just proming they’ll do good stuff…too many empty promises. give me some details…

13. James says:

Dan,

I can appreciate your passion and belief in Obama to a certain extent. I don’t know what your background is but I’m concerned at the way that some are portraying him as some sort of Messiah figure for the American political landscape. For me as a Christian, I wrestle with the balance in which I engage politics and my pursuit as a believer.

As for McCain, I’d appreciate if you can link some links for reference that he continues to use that term regularly today.

14. anonymous says:

washington
    barack the vote

why?

mccain has made many comments, including his racial slurs, that l find extraordinarily offensive. I also question various aspects of his policy, and just plain don’t want him as my president.
    i can’t vote for clinton’s plan for withdrawal from iraq as it currently stands. I also think she’s too polarizing to have as much of a chance to succeed and be effective as obama.
    ron paul has so little popular support that while he might sound good in some regards (also have serious questions about some of his policies), voting for him is like flushing your vote…
    while i freely admit he’s not perfect, at least there’s hope that between obama’s policy, his optimism, and his experience, he will be able to bring change to the white house.
    romney? don’t get me started on that one…

15. Cristine says:

Eugene,
    As I’ve enjoyed your blog this past year or so, I know you’ve stated that you don’t have a particular political affiliation, but I think it’s safe to assume that you’re more “progressive” that “conservative.” Is that safe to say? And as you’re considerig Obama or Clinton, I’m curious to hear how you respond to the issue of abortion and the sanctity of life.

16. asimptote says:

1. I’m a second-generation Korean American Christian from Queens, New York City and Atlanta, GA is my current home.

2. On Super Tuesday I proudly and very emotionally (a flood of tears completely took me by surprise just as I was about to vote) voted for Barack Obama.

I know I probably lost stock by revealing that moment with you, but it simply was a moment that I’d been waiting for since 2004, and more intensely so for the past year or so.

There is only one issue at hand in this election:
    “Is it possible to fundamentally change the way politics is done? Can we fundamentally alter the course of America in how Americans feel about their president and how America is viewed by the world?”

As for the difference between the Dems and McCain, I simply do not agree that the mindset that allows the possibility of a 100-year stay in Iraq is in the best interest of America and our standing and safety in the world. I do NOT hate McCain. I think he is a great candidate, but as much as he is a “straight-talker” he is still, by no fault of his own, more of the same. He is still part of the same entity that led to a decision for preemptive war/invasion of another country. He is still “politics as usual” although clearly less so than Bush. And although I do not believe that he is a “racist” in the very simple sense that Dan Ra is labeling him, I do believe that in his heart the word “gook” simply is not nearly as problematic as it might be for a Vietnamese/Korean American. And once again I do not hate him for it, I just recognize that he is that less encompassing in his personal worldview.

His policies are solid. They are readily available for study/dissection. Substantively, there is a negligible difference in policy between Obama and Clinton. Also, no matter what platforms that any presidential candidate is running on, those platforms will automatically be gutted/changed/reworked once they become president. It is more important to me to choose judgment. And if you simply get to know both Obama and Clinton there simply is a world of difference. And once again, I sincerely believe that Clinton is a good candidate.

Also, if you allow yourself to dissect and think critically about what kind of “Hope” that Obama is espousing I really believe that you will understand how unfluffy and serious is the brand of “hope” he is talking about. It is not a coincidence that voter turnout is at an all-time high.

17. ek_duniyaa says:

1. Seattle, WA 2. Will be @ the “Stand for Change” rally tomorrow morning (11am @ Key Arena) and will be caucusing on Sat. where I will proudly vote for Barack Obama

I never thought I would be so moved and inspired by anything political – this coming from someone who did not even vote in the last 2 Prez. elections, much less caucus in a primary!

18. Rick L in Tx says:

I live in Texas, an Evangelical Covenant pastor serving on the staff of a Lutheran Church. I was born and raised in CA and moved here after 5 years in Seattle, where I was close friends with and pastoring with your friend Ray B.

My history is Republican. I believe Reagan was the greatest President of my lifetime. He drew together social, economic, and national security conservatives, all of which are issues that concern me.

I can’t see myself voting for a D in this race because of what I perceive as a) their invasive intent with regard to health policy, b) their likely judicial activist nominees to the Supremes, c) their lack of vision regarding successfully dealing with the international scene and national security (meaning Iraq and terrorism threat respectively), and d) their tendency to view government spending as the solution to domestic issues.

Though I am not in their camp, I would prefer to see Obama win the D nomination. Many conservatives wish to see Hillary win because they believe her negatives would make her easier to defeat. And they may be right. But I reason that the D nominee stands a better than 50% chance of winning in November, and I would rather not see another Clinton administration.

No one in the R camp really calls forth my passion – Romney came closest but has now suspended his campaign. I thought about not voting in November, but was reminded by a respected friend that I have this right to vote which has been paid for by the blood of patriots; and that “not to decide is to decide”, or at least to yield a greater voice to those who do, and potentially, a misleadingly larger mandate to the winner. So I will, as they say, hold my nose and vote for McCain in November – not because I find him a compelling candidate, but because I find him the more satisfactory of the two alternatives with which I will be presented. We after all have the option of voting not between two ideal candidates, but two real ones. I find him more acceptable.

19. me says:

The vote turnout is certainly very refreshing and a good sign for this country. To lose the interest and voice of the young demographic of this country will signal the death of so much that is important.

Never in my thoughts did I imagine that in my lifetime, I would experience the legitimate candidacy of the following three individuals: a candidate at the age of 72 [if voted] and 80 and he’s in for 2 terms; a woman, and an African-American.

Truly amazing.

Cristine: Thank for your comment; I’ll try to respond to that later today.

20. Kacie says:

I am currently in Texas, which is truly die-hard Republican.
    I am still a swing vote, but leaning towards Obama.

The most important issue to me is foreign policy, because on all domestic issues the president is always balanced by congress and often has his hands tied. In our dealings overseas, though, he has the most influence. And that is why I lean towards Obama. He’s a man who understands multi-culturalism, who I believe can look beyond our dated positions in the Middle east and everywhere, and truly engage with the EU and China. He is a leader, he’s a good communicator, and those are two truly important things. He would change the way the world looks at the US because of his experience living in an Islamic nation. Even his name helps – it just helps bridge the gulf of understanding.

In addition to that, my priorities are immigration, health care, and education, all of which all three of the candidates you mentioned (McCain, Obama, and Hillary), have at least some hope in.

21. Dan Hauge says:

I live here in Seattle, and I support Obama.

I actually think that Obama is as substantive as any candidate out there–we just haven’t heard it as much on the TV because his public face has focused more on the sweeping, inspiring speeches. It’s kind of funny–about half a year ago people were remarking on how ‘boring’ Obama was because he was having more low-key discussions, talking about policy in nuanced ways. That didn’t play as well in jump-starting his campaign; the speeches did. I do appreciate Obama’s ability to inspire people, and I think that ability is important in trying to get the whole country behind some things that he wants to accomplish. So that’s one reason I support him.

But I also like the ‘boring’ Obama–the one who really thinks policy through (and as has been mentioned–all of his policies are available for examination and discussion, they are basically core Democratic policies). I actually prefer his health plan to Clinton’s plan. I think it is more realistic, and has a better chance of being passed and moving our country in a more equitable direction. I don’t think our country is ready to go straight into universal health care–maybe in a another decade or two. And I agree with Obama’s basic point–that making health care available to all is the most basic point–making it mandatory is not.

I prefer Obama to Clinton because, while he does accept some money and support from corporate interests, he is not nearly as beholden to them as Clinton is, who takes support directly from lobbyists. I’m not totally opposed to Clinton, and I would vote for her in a general election. But I feel she is more compromised with the way that D.C. does business, and that Obama, in part because he does have such talent to inspire the general population, has a better chance of pushing policies that do not bend to special interests. I don’t think he would be perfect at this, just a bit better than Clinton.

Finally, on a basic strategic level, it looks like he would have a better chance of beating John McCain. There are enough conservatives with distaste for McCain (as has been well-reported in the news cycles lately), who are thinking of staying home–they are much more likely to get roused from their chairs to keep Hillary out than to keep Barack out. On a purely anecdotal level, I’ve heard a few times from more independent-minded peeople say that they would choose Obama over McCain, but would choose McCain over Clinton. I don’t think ‘electability’ should be the top priority, but it is a factor.

There are some things I admire about John McCain, and I appreciate his more realistic stances on immigration and fiscal policy. But I cannot support him because his foreign policy stance is identical to, or even a bit worse than, Bush’s. He shares Bush’s absolute commitment to stay in Iraq indefinitely, and has been pretty vocal about his passion for America’s role as sole superpower, which then means projecting our military power wherever we feel it necessary to keep economic and political dominance. And this is just a gut feeling, but I honestly think he would be the most likely to get us into a war with Iran.

And Romney just bowed out, so looks like we’re basically down to three, with Huckabee as a possible veep? If nothing else, this has been the most interesting and exciting primary election season I’ve ever seen.

22. Joseon says:

(1) New Jersey

(2) I voted for ‘Bam. I like his post-partisan, post-racial appeal. He seems to be the most ‘self-made’ person in the race, also. There are a lot of other reasons for my vote, but I’ll leave it at that.

23. franksabunch says:

I’ve traditionally voted republican, but I need to look more into the incident where McCain said “I hated the gooks. I will hate them as long as I live.”

24. kate says:

1. seattle
    2. obama

–not taking money from corporate interests was probably the first thing that really impressed me. and THEN out-fundraising clinton, still? awesome. shows his willingness to fight against the deep pockets whose influence drive most campaigns.

–i was in east africa when he went to kenya 2 years ago, and it was all anyone could talk about….that a senator from the US would come take a public AIDS test, to help fight the stigma of knowing one’s HIV status? he cares about the world outside of the US. huge props.

–enormously better chances at winning the presidency over clinton, and I may have to move to Canada if we’re facing another 4 to 8 years of a conservative in the white house. I like seattle and want to stay here…..:)

–above respect for stances on issues and all else–he’s the only candidate that makes me believe that in the future, I may not be as ashamed with our country as I am today. i guess that falls under the reasoning of “hope.”

25. Blake says:

1. Seattle
    2. Obama — because I don’t want Kate to move to Canada

Seriously though, I’m kind of torn. I like bits and pieces of all of them (Obama, Clinton, McCain). Like I told Kate earlier today, I like a lot of what Hillary has to say but I can’t see myself voting for her partially because she’s another in the bush/clinton/bush/clinton presidential dynasty trade we seem to have going on, but mostly because I don’t have any faith that she’ll actually maintain any of her standpoints moving forward.

26. asimptote says:

First, I want to clarify that might be clear enough, but obviously in my first post when I start my penultimate paragraph by saying “His policies are solid” I am referring to Obama’s policies. And I must echo Dan Hauge’s sentiments about Obama’s substance, because obviously I agree that Obama is substantial.

In fact, the reason that he has done worse than Hillary in the debates is because he prefers to answer the question with nuance whereas Hillary has no qualms about spouting a carefully scripted answers (most, not all, of the time).

James, I too have struggled with the tension of how much stock I as a Christian ought to put into politics and government. Although I absolutely believe that we are in the midst of a watershed moment in history, I have a corollary fear/realization that in the end, politics and government is simply limited and inherently unable to affect reality in the way we would all want. With all the hoopla, things might not be all too different with an Obama presidency after all. And we will be reminded that the Church is the true “hope” of the world.

But what if we as Christians really could infiltrate public offices and simultaneously not push people towards atheism. When Obama talks about his faith, he resonates with me and I’m an evangelical Christian.

And Obama is very aware of the messianic status that some are overinflating him with. I felt personal shame about my excitement for “evangelizing” Obama compared to how strongly I feel about evangelizing Jesus Christ on any given day. I’ve even googled around what is undoubtedly an extremely popular search combination of two words: “obama” and “antichrist”. But I’m taking a chance and allowing my cynicism to take a back seat just this one time.

27. 1.) Seattle
    2.) Clinton

I know I’m in the minority as Obama-rama has dominated this blog. But I think I just want to advocate for Hillary Clinton.

-Hillary Clinton has the experience to bring change to the White House. There has been a false choice created pitting change vs experience. Hillary Clinton integrates both and she has the experience and gravitas to make change. She just doesn’t just hope for change, but she will actually fight for it. She has specific policies to solve America’s problems. Obama might have the rhetoric and may make you feel good, but where’s the beef? She has a proven track record and know where she stands on the issues. With Obama, you are taking a leap of faith not knowing where he stands except that he likes change. In these uncertain times, we need someone with the competence to lead. We saw in the current administration what happens when we have someone who needs on the job training. Hillary Clinton will be ready to lead on Day 1.

-Hillary Clinton is the only candidate that offers a truly universal health care plan. She has a bold plan that will give every American affordable, comprehensive health care. Obama and his supporters have attacked Clinton for triangulating and lacking boldness to lead. However, Obama has stated that he doesn’t want to put out a universal health care because he wants to put out a watered down plan (which leaves over 15 million people uninsured) that would be able to pass. It’s nice to compromise so that you make people feel good, but that does no good to the 50 million people without health insurance. Hillary Clinton will fight for univeral health care. Obama has used the same arguments that the Republicans used to defeat universal health care in the 90s. Obama will not and cowtow to the Republicans and the health care insurance companies. Obama and his supporters like to spout, “YES WE CAN!” But when it comes to universal health care, Obama is “NO, WE CAN’T!”

-The experience gap will be very stark if it’s an Obama vs McCain race. McCain will pound him on the experience on the national security debate. Clinton has the gravitas and experience to blunt any McCain advantage.

-There is this false choice created that Clinton is for corporations and Obama is pure as snow. I’ve already stated that Obama’s health care plan is much more favorable to the health insurance companies. Also, there are alot of articles out there with Obama’s connection with the indicted builder Tony Rezko along with his deep connections to Exelon and the nuclear power industry. This is not to say Obama is a horrible person. This is to say that Obama is not a total angel who isn’t tainted by corporate money. Hillary Clinton has been fully vetted and everything has come out about her as she has been under the microscope for the last 16 years. However, we still do not know much about Obama’s record and any potential skeletons in his closet. He is gonna be fresh meat for the Republicans. Hillary Clinton has survived all the attacks from every side and she’s still standing.

-I believe Hillary Clinton is actually the more electable candidate. Obama and the media continue to propose that he is the most electable Democrat. However, when you look at the exit polls, they tell a different story. Obama did better in red states. However, in the general election, that is pretty meaningless. Does anyone think that Obama is actually gonna with Utah, Idaho, North Dakota, Kansas or Alabama in the general election? Of course not. Obama gets the credit for bringing in all the new voters. However, Hillary Clinton has also brought in new voters. Single women and working class women who have not vote in high numbers in the past have come out in large numbers for Hillary Clinton. This is a large segment that has come out not because of Obama but because of Clinton. Clinton has clobbered Obama among Latinos and Asian American voters. Even in his home state of Illinois, Obama has not been able to connect with the Latino community and there is a good chance that many of these voters will go with John McCain because of his support for comprehensive health care and as a senator of a border state. The same can be said with Asian American voters that might vote for John McCain over Barack Obama. Clinton heavily attracts the working class, union members, and older voters. Many of these people are Reagan Democrats who are conservative on social issues and liberal on economic issues. These are the voters that helped to create a Republican majority that brought into office Ronald Reagan and George W Bush. They are coming out in large numbers for Hillary Clinton. Obama does well among affluent college educated liberals, but has yet to really attract blue collar, working class people. Clinton attracts the beer drinkers, while Obama attracts the wine connoisseurs. If Obama is the Democratic nominee there is a question of whether he could actually attract working class Reagan Democrats, women, Latinos, Asian Americans, and seniors, which he has been unable to do up to this point. Clinton has the more stable majority coalition as she unleashes the power of working class and single women in the electorate.

So there’s some, but not all of the reasons for my support for Hillary Clinton. I know I’ll probably be in the minority when I caucus for her this Saturday. But I proudly caucus for her nonetheless.

28. Ryan says:

I’m impressed by the volume of responses and passion here. I’m in Seattle and am supporting Obama – just made my first ever political donation last night to him. As a Christian I’m drawn to Obama’s progressive-flavored Christianity. Though I’m also sure we would disagree on some issues of theology and Biblical ethics. However, I’m not electing him to be President of the church. For me, I was greatly convinced by Andrew Sullivan’s article / treatise in the Atlantic on why Obama is our contry’s greatest hope to get past the stale but ever-present culture / political war that’s been going on since Vietnam. I’m ready for some real change. Here’s a quote and the link:

“Is Iraq Vietnam? Who really won in 2000? Which side are you on in the culture wars? These questions have divided the Baby Boomers and distorted our politics. One candidate could transcend them.”

29. Ben C says:

Kirkland, WA

My mind is for Clinton; my heart is for Obama.

30. Jason Dye says:

from the great state of Chicago, just northeast of Downstate Illinois.
    Obama.

Because his style is actually substantial. Because his hope isn’t fluff (although it’s not the type of sure thing that the hope of the Bible is). Because his hope is about bringing heaven to earth.

He is for transparency in government, with actual, bonafide ways of being transparent in government. He is also for the downtrodden, the oppressed, the forgotten – in the US and beyond. I believe that he will continue to be their voice.

But, also, yes I believe that he is a person who can hold his own against formidable obstacles. That he is a person of conviction and integrity (despite the connection with Rezko).

This from an article in the Chicago Reader ten years ago (when he was first running for political office):
    Obama, whose political vision was nurtured by his work in the 80s as an organizer in the far-south-side communities of Roseland and Altgeld Gardens, proposes a third alternative. Not new to Chicago–which is the birthplace of community organizing–but unusual in electoral politics, his proposal calls for organizing ordinary citizens into bottom-up democracies that create their own strategies, programs, and campaigns and that forge alliances with other disaffected Americans… What makes Obama different from other progressive politicians is that he doesn’t just want to create and support progressive programs; he wants to mobilize the people to create their own. He wants to stand politics on its head, empowering citizens by bringing together the churches and businesses and banks, scornful grandmothers and angry young.

more at http://www.chicagoreader.com/obama/951208/

His distaste for running for political office for the sake of running for political office (when ‘politicians are more concerned about how they should run then why they should run’) was palpable back then. And, more importantly, I believe that he is the same person now that he was then.

31. JB says:

Seattle
    I will caucus for Obama

Reasons:
    1. McCain??? He’s likable and smart, but he is very, very conservative. And a big Iraq supporter, saying only the execution was wrong, when strategically it was wrong too. A horrible error that is bleeding our country dry of dollars, soldiers, influence in the world and moral authority.

2. I want to see a dem in the white House. The religious right represents 30% of republicans and a disproportionate portion of the grassroots efforts of that party. And they hate McCain. This will be a huge problem for him, unless Hillary is the nominee. They hate her with so much passion that they will move mountains and turn out in force to avoid the specter of the Clintons moving back into 1600 Pennsylvania.

3. If Hill gets elected and reelected (and I really don’t think she can win) that’ll be 28 years of Bush or Clinton presidents. I’ll bet there are a number of people on this blog that have no recollection of any other president. 20 years is too much already, by about 8 years. Do we really want to sign up for 8 more?

4.I did support Edwards, but now it’s Obama all the way, man. He’s inspiring a nation that desperately needs it. And while I don’t know how much international experience he has, he’s smart and I guarantee you that if America is attacked he won’t sit in a tiny chair reading My Pet Goat to a bunch of school kids till someone tells him what to do.

I have no illusions about how much change any candidate can effect when the serious money (multinational corporations) have so much influence, and when so much of government seems so corrupt beyond redemption, but I think it’s fair to say that no one could be as bad as we’ve had for the last 8 years.

32. me says:

Who went to see Hillary tonight? Who’s going to see Obama tomorrow? McCain is also in at 6pm @ Westin.

33. frank hong says:

1. Washington.

2. Johnny Mac! Why? A few of my reasons – (i) he is in favor of expanding embryonic stem cell research; (ii) he is anti-pork; (iii)pro balanced budget; (iv) prosecute youth thugs as adults; (v) he has voted no on restricting class action lawsuits; (vi) he realizes that the AMT is eating Americans alive.

Finally, this is a guy that survived a VC prison camp for over five years, enough said.

-fsh

34. Karen Joy says:

I’ve never been to this blog before today, and only clicked because my stats page keeps telling me that a link from this blog is sending a few folks my way. (Thanks, Christine!)

I have *really* enjoyed reading everyone’s thoughts and reasons for supporting one candidate or the other. Koreanpower999, I especially enjoyed your explanation of your support for Clinton. If I were a Democrat, your reasons are exactly why I’d choose her over Obama (though I’m not at all for socialized healthcare, but, then, if I were a Democrat, perhaps I’d feel differently about that, too).

Just thought, though, that I’d underwhelm all of you with my support of McCain. I’m from the Phoenix area. (I’m, apparently, a major trend-bucker. I’m a homeschooling evangelical Christian woman, who is “supposed” to vote for Huckabee. No thanks. I’ve supported McCain as President since the 2000 primaries.)

35. […] about this election…  I am encouraged by the many who “casted” their votes in yesterday’s post about “the next president.”   As I’ve alluded to this in conversation with folks, let me share some basic simple […]

36. Jay says:

Go Hillary! Obama needs to get out of the election before he loses it for the Democrats. He can’t win the Latino and Asian vote. He needs to see the writing on the wall. He will lose all the swing states where he needs those groups to show up.

37. Jess says:

I know folks will roll their eyes here but I will be caucusing for Ron Paul this Saturday for most of the reasons that Paul supporters have mentioned above. I dream of the day when the political scene isn’t dominated by two players.

38. Blake says:

Jay: I politely disagree. If she gets the nomination I really think that you can expect to see McCain as our next president. She’ll galvanize the republican party (and many dems) into action; getting people out to vote just to keep her out of office. If a democratic administration is what our country wants for itself, then Obama needs to get the nomination. Right now, I’d vote for Obama if he gets the nomination. But I personally would have a really hard time swallowing a vote for Clinton because as a friend so eloquently put it last night, “I don’t trust Hillary any farther than I can throw her.”

39. Ryan says:

I’ll have to side with Blake here as well. A McCain vs. Clinton elelction would be a pretty polarizing experience. She simply doesn’t seem to garner the independent / young vote. I think McCain would attract a lot of independents and moderates who would’ve voted for Obama.

But, I am curious, at the sake of exposing my palen-ness more than is already obvious, why Jay or other Aisan & Latinos think Barack doesn’t connect more with them enough to get their vote? Do others think this is true? It certainly seems so in California based on exit polls.

40. Clinton from the beginning has outreached to both to the Latino and Asian American community. She has been involved with Latino unions and migrant farm workers including the United Farm Workers Union. She got early endorsements from Dorothy Huerta and the grandson of Cesar Chavez. Those were bigger than any endorsement from Ted Kennedy for Latinos. Latinos and Asian Americans also have goodwill from the previous Clinton administration. Bill Clinton also appointed multiple Hispanic cabinet members and the first ever Asian American cabinet member. Obama, on the other hand, never really did much outreach in those communities until Super Tuesday. He was way behind. Many articles have been written about how his campaign staff are from Chicago. In Chicago much of the politics deal with reaching out to whites and blacks. The Obama staff have never had experience reaching out to Latinos and Asian Americans. For Asian Americans, he offended many because of his refusal to sign onto 80-20 (an Asian American political organization) pledge of equality for Asian Americans. He eventually did right before Super Tuesday, but by then the damage was done as many Asian Americans felt snubbed by the Obama campaign. There’s already buzz out there that if Obama gets the nomination, many Latinos and Asian Americans who voted for Clinton will switch their vote for John McCain. So I don’t buy that Obama is more electable if he’s unable to win Latino and Asian American votes that could easily go to John McCain if Obama gets the nomination. So many are already saying that Hillary Clinton will do very well in the Texas primary on March 4th because 1/3 of the Democratic electorate is Latino. She is already putting up ads there. Texas has the second most delegates available behind California.

41. asimptote says:

1. Obama’s “beef” is readily available for scrutiny. We DO KNOW where Obama “stands on the issues”. If anyone is serious about finding out they can read his book “The Audacity of Hope” or download the following 64 summary pdf here:
    You can also go to the following websites:

Also, I’m not saying that she’s inexperienced, but I still am not sure what experience Hillary is claiming. Is she claiming that she knows how to play the Washington, D.C. game better? Is she more experienced in being attacked by the Republicans and surviving? I will concede on both of those fronts. I fully concede also that she is a more experienced “politician”. But do you really believe that Obama wouldn’t be competent to similarly be flexible and effective within the confines of Washingtonian institution? He’s proven to be a pretty active senator thus far. And has quickly gained the trust of many individuals of the opposition party.

But I believe that Obama’s experience is purer and more appropriate for what is needed in this country right now. Obama’s experience is rooted in his days as a community organizer. Community organizing is incredibly unglamorous, but to be effective you must inspire people to want to talk to each other and provide an opening for people on opposing sides to give each other the benefit of the doubt. THAT is the experience that might make him a more effective fighter for change.

-Universal Health Care. The main disagreement has been about having a mandate or not. Clinton’s plan includes a total mandate. Obama’s plan includes a mandate for children only.

Well the question is, do we have actual real-world evidence as to whether a full mandate works? Yes we do.

Massachussetts has had state-wide Universal Health Care in place for just about a year and a half. That plan DOES include a mandate. And guess what? So far, a mandate has not been effective. Why? Because the penalties for shirking the mandate have not been enough of a deterrent.

How are we going to penalize an entire nation of 300 million people for ignoring a federal mandate? Hillary Clinton has not made that clear because she does not yet know (which is very reasonable) or does not want to say because she knows that people don’t want to hear about a potential expansion of the IRS to take even more money out of their paycheck as a penalty for refusing to buy health insurance.

BUT, I am NOT saying that a mandate is BAD. It is debateable at best and both sides think they are right. The bottom line is that WE SIMPLY DO NOT KNOW. Clinton and Obama disagree on the implementation of universal health care but that does NOT mean that Obama’s commitment to universal health care is any less than Clinton’s. Democrats are united in their goal of universal health care. To say that Obama is less committed is unfair and misleading.

-The experience gap will indeed be very stark. But the case will be made to the American people to choose what combination of experience and judgment they want. Experience does not necessitate good judgment. The voters will be able to choose whether they believe the Iraq War makes us more safe or less safe.

-Obama has never claimed that he was a total angel. He readily admits that he has no delusions about being a “perfect” president. But Obama purported connections with Rezko as an attack on his character are simply false. When they are saying that Clinton is for corporations moreso than Obama there is no major conspiracy to spin their differences. The truth is that Clinton has been around and has more relationships with sundry corporations and businesses. But all the more she “owes” them a lot more than Obama does because of her “experience”. And here is where Obama’s freshness is a clear strength. Obama is simply less beholden to them than Clinton is.

-And finally, ELECTABILITY. And I think this is where the case for Obama is hands down stronger than Hillary.

First:

Obama does better than Clinton in head-to-head matchups with McCain.

Now I know that polls don’t tell the whole story, but you cannot dismiss the fact that Obama does have appeal to disaffected moderate Republicans. Republicans for Obama, aka “Obamacans”, are a real breed and I’m sorry, but there is simply no such thing has a “Hillary-can”.

About 40% of the country will vote for the democratic candidate no matter what. The fight between McCain and Obama will be a battle for the Independent vote.

There is general concensus that when independents are given a choice between McCain or Clinton, they lean towards McCain. When given a choice between Obama or McCain, they lean towards Obama.

So, the flip-side of your listing of “red states” is that does anyone doubt that Obama will win the “blue states” of New York, California, Massachussetts, New Jersey. Of course he will win them in a general election. But do you really believe that Clinton has a better chance than Obama in the so-called “purple states”? I personally do not.

As for the Latino vote and Asian American vote.

That is an EXCELLENT article breaking down what might have happened in California. Thus, there is reason to believe that this was a result of organization. Clinton won New Hampshire and Massachussetts because she had better organizations in place there, and I believe that is what happened in California.

I personally believe that California went the way it did because there wasn’t enough time to effectively introduce Obama to the voters and not because the voters examined him and then rejected him.

As for your argument about “beer drinkers, Reagan Democrats, working class, single women and seniors” and how Reagan Democrats are what enabled a Reagan and Bush presidency, I think I would worry a lot more if the incumbent was a Democratic president.

But George W. Bush has hand-delivered this 2008 election to the Democraticy Party in a major way and even though the groups you mentioned may be breaking towards Clinton during the primaries, given a choice between Obama and McCain in the general election do you really believe that they won’t ultimately choose Obama? I believe they will.

Wow, that was a marathon, but I want to thank you, koreanpower999, for forcing me to sharpen and hone my thoughts on Obama. I am really glad to have this dialogue with you.

42. asimptote says:

koreanpower999, as for your reference to Obama’s “snub” of the questionnaire put forth by the 80-20 Initiative. Obama’s refusal to answer their questionnaire was a matter of integrity.

The questionnaire was asking Obama to make promises that he knew in his heart he couldn’t make because the wording of two of the questions was problematic. Not because he didn’t want to answer them.

It doesn’t matter that the other white candidates just said “yes”. As far as I know they were afraid to say anything but “yes” unequivocally. Obama’s mistake is that he actually thought critically about the implications of the questionnaire when indeed the easy political thing to do would have been just to say yes, yes, yes, yes, yes – ok please endorse me thanks.

In this one instance, the 80-20 Initiative seemed more concerned about having influence and punishing Obama than about presenting candidates fairly to Asian Americans.

43. asimptote says:

I want to offer one last challenge to step back and switch the very lens through which we are making our decision and why Obama may be a better candidate than Clinton.

I agree with you that there has totally been a false narrative of “Clinton = experience (only)” and “Obama = change (only)”.

I believe that Clinton believes that she brings change from the “status quo”. But what is the definition of “status quo”?

When Edwards and Obama accused her of being the “status quo” herself, she obviously resented the label and responded with this statement, “I think there’s no doubt that any of the candidates on this stage would represent significant change from George Bush. And we’ve seen a disaster, in both foreign policy and domestic policy, over the last seven years.”

This is a telling statement. The key phrases are: “significant change from George Bush” and “last seven years”. I could be wrong, but I really do get the sense that in her mind, the status quo is merely the current Bush administration. And that America was doing just fine during her husband’s administration and Bush was the one who messed it up.

Bush/Rove have successfully held onto the presidency with the support of about half of the country. While I also am not pleased with George W. Bush as my president, I take NO PLEASURE in seeing him vilified by an overwhelming number of my fellow Americans. I think it’s horrible and sad that our president is hated by so many.

When Obama talks about “change” we are talking about more than a mere change of party.

For example, Clinton PROUDLY accepts money from special interest groups and lobbyists because she argues that those lobbyists represent real Americans. (Check her out at the YearlyKos) Fair enough. But might there not be a better way? Isn’t she still “more of the same”?

That is an important argument. I believe that Hillary Clinton is an exceptional presidential candidate. But she CANNOT escape the fact that – WHAT BUSH IS TO NON-BUSH SUPPORTERS – HILLARY IS TO NON-HILLARY SUPPORTERS (to a lesser degree of course).

Her negativity/unfavorability ratings are a reality. And I wish she didn’t have such high negativity ratings because otherwise I believe that we would already have a Clinton/Obama – Pres/VP ticket by now. Obama would NOT be running for president if he didn’t truly believe that he was better positioned to make a clean break and a fresh start in the majority of this country’s conscience that we are fundamentally changing course.

The lessig video on YouTube on why he supports Obama makes this point compellingly with specific examples.

In the end, I like Obama because I’ve never so naturally trusted a presidential candidate as I trust him and also he’s the first presidential candidate that I can say is MY candidate. He simply knows who I am. Call me naive and idealistic but I believe it with all my heart.

44. Jay says:

Ryan and Blake,

You both make good points but I think you don’t realize the ground realities. Caucuses where a few hundred people showed up are not a great predictor of general election viability. California meanwhile was a true show of mass appeal. Obama who won in the red states will not be able to win those in November. That is a guarantee and we all know it. Overwhelmingly Republican electorates, racist sentiments, and a majority of conservatives will ensure that. This doesn’t bode well for a black, “most liberal rated senator”, with a true blue Muslim background, who only has 2 years of Senate experience of which one has been spent on the campaign trail. Add to that the fact that McCain who is a westerner with liberal immigration policies will be very alluring. His war hero history will draw many Latinos and Asians. He will draw enough to swing purple states to the red column if Obama is the nominee.

On the other hand, if Hillary is the nominee she carries Florida based on her strong Latino support. And the western states of Nevada, New Mexico are in play as is Ohio. Obama cannot garner enough of the Latino populace to show up to the polls for him to get him over the top. I don’t know why people don’t want to admit this. Obama is simply unimpressive and full of fluff for many who have heard and read about him. This is especially true for Latinos and Asians who don’t want the “change” message but a message of economic stability and experience that knows how to get that done. So you see McCain once again trumps Obama based on experience. This is where Hillary has an edge with Bill Clinton seen as her chief advisor.

Obama meanwhile, being a new politician on the scene has already estranged Asians with his campaigns “Democrat from Punjab” attack on Hillary. The words in his later apology letter to many was patronizing. To be new to the game and already have enemies is not a good sign. He ripped off the “Yes we can or Si Se Puede” slogan from the United Farm Workers’ founder Cesar Chavez which many Latinos see as an arrogant attempt to equate himself with the legend of Cesar Chavez. Maybe Obama doesn’t know how to communicate with other groups and it isn’t intentional but people don’t trust him. Some already hate him. The longer he stays in this race riding on the back of 80%+ of blacks voting for him, the more people believe that his candidacy is fueled by racism. He is a galvanizing and divisive figure to our communities.

Hillary on the other hand is seen as a brilliant woman, the star front row student, the valedictorian with an encyclopedic memory, a great mother, a merciful wife, a compassionate lady, and a very strong resilient leader who refuses to quit and fights for the people.

She is a tremendous inspiration for these communities. In her, they see the promise of their gradmothers, mothers, sisters, wives, and daughter. That is more inspirational than any lofty rhetoric for me personally.

The negatives that you note about her are seen by Asians and Latinos as a necessity of political life. On the same token Obamas near refusal to talk about issues in favor of grandiose idealism are seen as being disingenuous and disguised. His refusal to give a clear “yes” answer to an Asian groups questionaire about affirmative action being extended to Asians struck him to be politically expedient and dismissive.

I think practicality and pragmatism would serve everyone better when it comes to picking who to give their vote. It is time that white collar white men and blacks join the the Latinos, Indians, Chinese, Japanese, Filipinos, Vietnamese, other Asians, working class whites, and Women to elect Hillary. She’s the only one that can deliver the goods against McCain. You can clearly see the diversity of people that are backing her. In California she also won the 18-29 youth vote. And if you know anything about California you know that it is like a nation unto itself.

I can also tell you that any polls showing Obama being a better nominee against McCain are just plain wrong. They are done nationwide and often only a snapshot. Like how when Hillary was trailing by 15% in New Hampshire and won or when Kerry led Bush by 20 points and ended up losing the election. A lot will happen between now and November. One thing I am certain of though is that Obama will not be able to foster the sort of relationship with Latinos and Asians that Hillary has by then. And these are key constituents that must be won over in the general election against McCain who is also very popular amongst these groups.

45. daniel so says:

Jay — “with a true blue Muslim background” — Please stop perpetuating the “Barack Obama is a secret Muslim” myth.

46. Jay says:

Daniel,

I think we do ourselves a disservice if we fail to recognize potential weaknesses in a general election.

Many people in Obamas family are Muslims including his brother. This is true. I’m not a religious person, but don’t think that the Republicans won’t take this and run with it. Especially with a current war against islamic terrorism, this will be the issue that brings his demise. This alone would deliver the knockout punch. America is not as left wing liberal as some in the Democratic party.

I want the election to be about issues and substance. With Obama the Republicans will quickly turn this issue into the main event. The question of whether you could trust him against terrorists and our nuclear arsenal will be the chatter heard all through America. I frankly want to see solutions to our problems, not distractions.

47. daniel so says:

Jay — I can appreciate the thought and passion that you’ve poured into this. And I would tend to agree with the idea that, if Senator Obama were to win the Democratic candidacy, that there are some Republicans would not hesitate to attack him based on perceived Muslim affiliations (despite the factual reality that Senator Obama has publicly stated that he is indeed a Christian — he tells the story of his journey of faith on his site: http://www.barackobama.com/2007/06/23/a_politics_of_conscience_1.php).

However, I would argue that the political attack machine would be turned against *anyone* who ran against their candidate. If you want this election to be about issues and substance, it would be better to direct your efforts toward stopping those who rely on slander, insinuation and outright lies.

I remain thoroughly unconvinced that a candidate’s qualifications should be based on his or her family. If that were the case, then we could easily dismiss some of the leading Republican contenders as well (and, I would argue, with more solid ground — some of these issues deal with how they raised their kids). Part of being an informed voter is sorting through the inevitable nonsense with which people try to cloud the atmosphere.

It’s one thing to state that you think the Republicans would turn this perceived Muslim affiliation into a mud-slinging circus; it is entirely another thing to perpetuate it.

48. Obama supporters keep bringing up these polls showing him beating McCain. However, those polls are worthless as of now because so much can change until November. John Kerry was up by 17% over George W Bush during the primaries and that was his basis as the most electable candidate. And guess what? He lost! In 2000, George W Bush was up by 17% over Al Gore during the primary season. People said Gore represented the status core and Clinton baggage. People in 2000 were saying how much they had Clinton fatigue and in the end, Gore changed people’s minds and won the popular vote. So those polls are absolutely worthless. So many things can happen until November and Obama is only up by 3% over McCain now even with a weakened McCain. Clinton is totally vetted, while Obama is not. There is still not much investigative reporting about Obama. The media has given him a pass. So many things will happen until November that will affect the polls. Also, the idea that Obama will attract so many Republicans in the general is ridiculous. They will go back home to McCain. Also, many Republicans are motivated in defeating and humiliating Hillary Clinton so they vote for Obama in these open caucuses and primaries. So these polls are totally worthless now.

Obama is unable to win the traditional base of the Democratic Party. He continually loses among women, working class people, union members, Latinos, and Asian Americans. There’s no guarantee that he’ll get these voters if he becomes the nominee. Many working class people or even some Reagan Democrats would switch to McCain. Also, there’s already talk in the ethnic media that Latinos and Asian American voters would vote for McCain if Obama is the nominee because of his lack of outreach and snubs in these communities. This is not reported in the white mainstream media becuase they want Obama to win and also they minimize the importance of ethnic media.

When Hillary Clinton enters the White House after having 43 straight men as President, she will be a big change from status quo. She it’s ridiculous to say that she represents the status quo.

Barack Obama is tainted with potential scandals and other things the media fails to bring attention to. Tony Rezko is just the tip of the iceburg. The New York Times had a recent article about how Obama has close connections to the CEO of Exelon and his advocacy of nuclear power. There is this cult of Obama that he is so above everything and he’s not a politician. Let’s just wait and see once the media wakes up and does their homework. Politicians make political decision. That’s no different if you’re Clinton or Obama.

It’s funny how the media continues to focus on this supposed wave of Obama, when it never materialized to overtake Clinton on Super Tuesday. The media continues to overlook that Gallup Poll which shows Clinton beating Obama 51%-40%. It also overlooks Clinton catching up to Obama in fundraising just in the last two days. If you watch tv, you would think Obama has this all wrapped up and they’re just waiting for the coronation.

If Obama wins the nomination, I will support him in the general election. However, I refuse to be sucked into the media swooning, cliche driven, and cult following of Barack Obama. It’ll be interesting to see what happens from now on.

God Bless. =)

49. Jay says:

Daniel,

When you say Muslim affiliations it sounds like he’s acquainted with some Muslims. Obama IS a Muslim from his paternal heritage and his brother is a practicing Muslim. This will be a bigger issue for voters than any distraction they could create with Hillary.

If you read what Koreanpower99 said he pretty much breaks down how the media has given him a free pass so far. That will not remain that way for long, and there goes the election if he’s nominated.

It is human nature that when you have doubt about one thing you go with the safe bet. Doubts have already been created about Obama. If he now wins with the backing of blacks and some liberal whites people will take the safe bet=McCain. To accenuate that he will probably lose the Asian and Latino votes to begin with. So this guy has no chance. Just saying “Yes we can” doesn’t mean it happens. Trust me I’ve been saying “Yes I can” for years when I bought my lotto tickets, but I still haven’t hit the jackpot.

Side note: Isn’t it strange that Dolores Huerta and Cesar Chavez Family along with the United Farm Workers have endorsed Hillary but Obama seems to arrogantly act like the heir to a throne. I bet most of his devotees don’t even know the origin of “Yes We Can.” Dolores Huerta recently said of Hillary, “Yes She Can”.

50. chad says:

let’s see…where does one start?
    first. are we really fighting against “Islamic” terrorism? i’m getting sick of that empty rhetoric. it is nothing less than fear mongering. it goes right up there with the “fight em over there so we don’t have to fight em here” babble. do we ever consider our Muslim Americans when we way this bull crap?

“Obama IS a Muslim.”
    what?
    seriously?
    because he has family that is Muslim, he is automatically Muslim?
    seriously?

51. Jay says:

Chad,

I think you are being idealistic. Yes, I wish it was wonderful fantasy world too, but it isn’t. We most definitely have enemies that just don’t like our way of life and yes the ones waging an undeclared war on us are Muslims. By saying that no one should think that Muslims are all bad. I think because of our narrow perspectives we seem to paint everybody with one broad stroke. That would be absolutely wrong, but ignoring the fact would not be just either.

And this is not fear mongering, it’s legit and real. There are some people who want to dominate the world and fuse it under their religion by force. These people also have a lot of funding and resources to make it possible. I hope you are not one of those “it was and inside job” guys.

Also in the Muslim religion apostasy is not allowed. So in the eyes of many of his relatives I am certain they believe he is Muslim. His middle name Hussein is the name of the son of Ali, who was the second or fifth caliph of Islam depending upon whether you are Shia or Sunni. He is the martyr of Islam who died in war against the Sunnis.

So Obama wasn’t just given a religious name because it sounded cool. There is certainly significant to it. I am not a religious person but my point is that this will be an issue in the election. To ignore it means you will be hit blindsided.

52. daniel so says:

Jay — I think you’ve made your opinions very clear. However, you are still perpetuating outright lies. Senator Barack Obama is not a Muslim. Please read the following article from Christianity Today if you have any questions about his personal faith:

Unless you are suggesting that Senator Obama is lying, I think you need to back off of those statements. In saying that, I am not attempting to give him, or any other politician, a “free pass.” However, if you truly want this to be about the “issues” then you must have your facts straight. Wild conspiracy theories and insinuation only undermine your credibility.

I believe it is the responsibility of each voter to sort out truth from fiction, to weigh the positives against the negatives and to make a reasoned conclusion. It seems like you have put some thought into these platforms — if you want to sway other people’s opinions, I would suggest that you focus less on calling Obama “arrogant” and more time promoting the politician’s platform you think is a better choice.

Anyways, thanks Eugene for hosting a lively (as always) discussion over here. I won’t take up any more comment space on this thread…

53. me says:

folks,

i’m on a staff retreat now so will comment tomorrow. keep the dialogue going.

54. Jay says:

Daniel,

Can you deny that Obamas paternal grandfather is a Muslim from Kenya? No.

Can you deny that apostasy from Islam is not allowed under Islamic law and that all children of a Muslim must remain Muslims and conversion of any Muslim is forbidden, which can be punished by death? No.

Can you deny that Obamas father and step father were both Muslims? No.

Can you deny that neither his father nor step father were ever punished for anything meaning they were not apostates? No.

Can you deny that Obamas brother in the US is a Muslim? No.

Can you deny that it is recommended in Islam that one may conceal his true faith from non-believers under duress or for the ultimate progress of Islam? No.

Could his pro-Muslim sentiments be used by Obamas opponents to make him seem weak and unable to act against terrorists from his family religion? Yes.

Regardless of what Obama says his personal faith may be, there is something here that the Republicans will exploit. You can bet on it. And there are enough arguments above to knock Obama out by creating doubt. One TV advertisement, one mass email, some discussions on radio and television and he loses the election by losing independent voters, and even many Democrats. He’s already lost Latinos and Asians, from whom I hear buzz about backing McCain if Obama is the candidate.

This is what Hillary means when she says he has not been vetted. He has no clue how bad this could get for him. Obama is much worse off than John Kerry ever was. Forget swift boating, Obama will be even easier to destroy. There are just too many questions about him and he talks in poetry without substance which can’t help his cause. Hillary is not only a brilliant fantastic candidate but she is the only one with a chance. We all need to wake up to the reality and give the democratic nomination to Hillary so that McCain doesn’t get too far ahead.

55. 1. Minnesota, or Illinois (depends on the way my umbrella blows)

2. I’m voting for Obama.Hands down. I don’t care about the technical details because you never know who is actually going to win you can just cast your vote and pray for the best.

As for the whole Obama’s people being Muslims…. on the American homefront (strictly Nation osf Islam rules not the same thing I know) Obama’s dad married a white woman, who could have been Jewish and then that would make him such and since some sect of Judaism belive that Jesus is Son of God more than just prophet so the fact that his church (which incedentally is down the street from my aunt’s house) is a Christian church, I think it works.

I don’t know I try to keep it light I know this is a major desicion, but honestly if we had made some of the smaller decisions better the whole president thing might work out better in our favor. I think we will be surprised who turns out to be the winner (think JFK it’s possible).

Plus Obama is cuter (Kidding bad Nixon/Kennedy Debate Joke, but you must admit John McCain sort of has a Watergate Flavor about his looks)

56. gar says:

Jay,

I’m sorry to disagree, but if your entire reason for supporting Hillary Clinton over Obama is to cater to other people’s Islamophobia, it doesn’t give me much reason to support Clinton either.

The whole argument of “Obama has Muslims in his family so the Republicans will exploit that” is a false argument and fails to address the real issues. You could make the same argument about Hillary Clinton and the actions of Bill Clinton in the White House – their past history with Whitewater and (of course) Monica Lewinsky is a stain on the Clinton presidency.

I could just as easily change your argument to:

“Can you deny that Bill Clinton had an affair in the White House? No.

Can you deny that Bill Clinton lied about his affair in the White House? No.

Can you deny that Bill Clinton, a known adulterer, is married to Hillary Clinton? No.

Can you deny that a large number of Americans dislike Bill Clinton, and by extension Hillary? No.

Can you deny that because of the previous Clinton administration, Hillary Clinton is hated by Republicans and many independents? No.

Regardless of what Clinton says her personal life, there is something here that the Republicans will exploit. You can bet on it. And there are enough arguments above to knock Obama out by creating doubt. One TV advertisement, one mass email, some discussions on radio and television and she loses the election by losing independent voters, and even many Democrats. She’s already lost Blacks and independents, from whom I hear buzz about backing McCain if Clinton is the candidate.”

See how easy it is?

I don’t mind that you’re a support of Hillary Clinton. But like Daniel So said, these anti-Muslim arguments leveled at Obama aren’t valid proof that Clinton is the better candidate. I’m sure you wouldn’t be surprised to know that smears concerning Obama’s religious background have come from the Clinton campaign itself:

57. gar says:

The last paragraph should read:

“I don’t mind that you’re a supporter of Hillary Clinton. But like Daniel So said, these anti-Muslim arguments leveled at Obama aren’t valid proof that Clinton is the better candidate. I’m sure you wouldn’t be surprised to know that smears concerning Obama’s religious background have come from the Clinton campaign itself:”

Forgive the typos. I was typing rather fast.

58. Jay says:

Gar,

I don’t know if you live in some liberal city in the United States, you are a extreme left winger, from another country, black or Kenyan.

I respect your views.

The arguments you make are 10 years old. We all know everything about Hillary her family.

When is the last time the media actually went after Obama about his relationship with Islam. He certainly has a strong one. Oh, they will!

And you saying Islamophobia or the some saying Islamofascists won’t change the truth. Whether it being Christian world’s war on muslim terror, Jewish war against Muslim Hamas terrorists, and Hindu war against Muslim terrorists, these are all realities right now. And someone with such a strong Muslim background like Obama will scare a lot of people.

In regard to Hillary she is the best candidate. She would have won the nomination already had it not been for the left wing liberals and blacks that support Obama. Also all the white people who are scared to look racist if they don’t support him. It’s a bunch non sense. Caucuses where Asians are intimidated of coming. How would Asians feel standing and supporting Hillary so strongly. It’s sad. Yet no one says anything about Obamas 80%+ black suppport. It’s as though that is not racist.

Every time I see that figure it brings resentment that so many black just vote on race. That is plain and simple racism. Hillary had to concede Louisiana because 50% of the voters are black. That is sad. Obama is showing us how racist blacks can be also.

Asian Americans overwhelmingly do not like this message of change. The majority of us favor an experienced administrator who has had success. In this case the success has been with Bill and Hillary. Hillary can be considered Bills protege and Bill to most of us is the best President the United States has ever seen. Why? Because he reached out to everyone. He was the first one. Basically he had the guts and opened the door for many. Obama will never be loved like Clintons.

Todays caucuses were disappointing. I am sure most Asians didn’t go out to vote due to the caucus format. It’s very intimidating just thinking about it. Voting shouldn’t be that way. We all know that our old and frail grandparents could certainly not go out and they vote mostly for Hillary. They need to rid of the caucuses. It is what has truly disenfranchised voters.

I hope Obama drops out or the Democratic party is sure to lose. Once Latinos and Asians go to the Republicans Democrats will never win the White House again.

Hillary inspires me when I see all the women and girls in my family being so excited about her. She makes them feel empowered. I support the women this time around.

True change my friend, is Chromosome XX, and finally giving the back seat to XY.

Gar, there is nothing wrong with being pragmatic and yet excited and happy about your candidate. The inspirational and logical choice is Hillary.

59. This is a message for Democrats. I appreciate all the passion by the supporters of Clinton and Obma. However, we can’t let the Clinton/Obama battle lead to lingering bitterness that takes us away from the larger picture of putting a Democrat in the White House. We can’t let petty infighting bring about a McCain presidency. So let’s remember the big picture. What we should celebrate is that the Democratic Party has two great candidates that have brought out record turnout. So let’s remember in the end, we’re on the same team.

60. Janet says:

Jay,

I nearly choked on my food with your last post.

So, you’re telling me that White folks that vote for Clinton are racist because she’s white. You keep digging yourself a bigger hole. I’m a supporter of Hilary’s nomination but do us [Clinton supporters] a favor and stop campaigning for her. You’re starting to make her look bad.

61. Jay says:

Janet,

I don’t think you have seen the exit polls. The white vote has been pretty evenly distributed in most states, while the black vote has gone 80%+ for Obama in EVERY STATE. This is despite the fact that Hillary has been one of the most outspoken supporters of Civil Rights through out her life. What exactly has Obama done for Civil Rights. So you can’t tell me that race is not a factor. We shouldn’t be afraid to call it like it is.

And though I come from a minority community I don’t appreciate minorities thinking they can be racist with white people knowing there will be no consequences and not be called racists. I don’t know why Mr. Obama doesn’t have to explain this. If this was the other way around where a white candidate was getting 80% of the white vote, their would be a media circus and marches all over America calling whites racists.

62. Ryan says:

Jay, I appreciate your enthusiasm for Sen. Clinton but I don’t quite follow your thinking on race here. It’s my understanding that initially, many older, long-time democrat black voters were not going with Obama becaause of their skepticism over his ability to get the white vote. He showed a never-before-seen ability to get out us palef-faces in Iowa, NH, etc. early on. The reality is he would not be winning without the white vote. Also, although clearly the chance to finally have a legitimate black candidate for the white house is galvenizing for the black community, if you look at previous statistics there has always been an overwhelmingly large majority of black voters going to the Dems. John Kerry garnered about 90% of black voters. 90%! This to me points to an overwhelming feeling of disenfranchisement from a Republican platoform. Until W came along, I had been a strong “socially progressive conservative” who always voted Republican – if there is such a thing. One of the things that began to propel me away from the Republican party were statistics like 90% of black voters going to democrats. I think this should disturb more Republicans than it should stimulate accusations of “racism”. I do not think Clinton is the best candidate. I think she’s brilliant, tough, well-informed on the issues and a totally polarizing figure. Again, I’m ready to take a chance on getting past this stale divide that I see continuing to persevere primarily at the baby-boomer level. Sorry BB’s, but something’s gotta give.

63. Jay says:

This just in: In the US Virgin Islands, where the black population is 78% of the vote, they elected Obama with a 90% majority! 90%! Absolutely ridiculous that no one wants to talk about his. This is despicable racism. How can one vote for a candidate that says nothing about this. If Hillary can come out and speak against racist whites why is this man having trouble speaking up against racist blacks.

64. Janet says:

Jay,
    When blacks have 90% of the power, influence, and wealth…we’ll talk about it then. Until that point, you’re talking to the mirror. When Alan Keyes runs for President, no one votes for him. Why? Because he has no weight. When Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton ran for President, what happened? When Gary Coleman, your favorite actor, “ran” for governor of California, check out who voted for him? It was White folks who thought it was funny.

Why are African-Americans voting for Obama? It’s because they believe in his candidacy.

65. Archie says:

I am somewhat of a foreign policy wonk and wanted to know the opinion of bloggers here about Bark Obamas willingness to unilaterally attack Pakistan, an asian country. Would that not equate our attack on Iraq in terms of sparking a civil war in a volatile country? If so, then would it be our responsibility to send American troops to protect our allies in the current Pakistani establishment from religious extremist insurgents?

66. […] This blog’s presidential ”caucus” has produced some great conversations and support for respective candidates.  Since the majority of the support appeared to be for Obama, I thought I’d share couple links that will be worth your time to consider the other two candidates: […]

67. jacksmith says:

Bottom Line:

It looks like you got some vote fraud hanky-panky, and selling of votes going on in the democratic caucuses. Obama seems to be doing disproportionately well in the caucuses where it is easier to commit vote fraud, and sell votes. Obama has not been doing as well in the non caucus primary’s where you can’t cheat the vote as easily.

I smell a pole cat. I smell the Karl Rove vote fraud machine at work. This looks like past presidential elections where most voters leaving the poles said they voted for the other guy. But Bush still won. No wonder Obama thinks the republicans have some good ideas. Apparently a lot of republicans are voting for Obama in the democratic caucuses.

The insurance companies, and medical industry that have been ripping you off, and killing you are determined to keep you, the American people from having good universal health care. So it seems they are supporting Obama. Along with the republican vote fraud machine.

This looks like a great story for a team of aggressive investigative reporters. Or maybe some good documentary film makers like Michael Moore, or Oliver Stone.

If I were the Clinton’s, I would focus like a laser bean on what has been going on in the democratic caucuses. No wonder the Republicans like Obama so much. Looks like he’s their man in the democratic caucuses. http://prorev.com/2008/02/in-search-of-obama.html

I’m absolutely convinced now that Hillary Clinton is your best choice for good universal health care coverage. And HR 676 (Medicare For All). “Single payer, Tax Supported, Not For Profit, True Universal Health Care” free for all as a right. Like every other developed country in the world has. See: http://www.house.gov/conyers/news_hr676.htm

“HR 676:
    For church goers: less money to insur. companies and more to the church- lots more.
    Srs on Medicare: save way over $100/wk. Because no more medigap, long term care & dental insur. needed. No more drug bills.”

They really think you are all stupid, inattentive cash cows… It may be time to bring back Bad Bill, Good Bill.

68. […] our ultimate Hope in our worldly leaders, we are nevertheless invited to lift them in prayer.  So, whoever the next president may be, may we hold him or her in prayer and accountability for the great and burdensome work […]

69. […] blog’s unofficial caucus several month ago were accurate on both the Democratic and Republican nominees.  Without getting […]