super bowl idolatry

My family and I spent the weekend in Vancouver, British Columbia to mark our wedding anniversary.  It felt foreign but refreshing to not be at church with any responsibilities.  And conveniently, it happened to be Super Bowl Sunday.  Great game, eh?  The kids and the wife weren’t so interested but I enjoyed the game.  By now, you’ve all heard about what may come down as one of the greatest upsets.

As I was watching the game, I mentioned to my wife that it’s been six years since I’ve watched the Super Bowl.  I’ve caught the last few minutes here and there but this was first time I’ve seen the game in its entirety in six years.  I enjoy sports but the reason is because Quest began with a 5pm gathering and has continued to host the 5pm service [along with a 9.15am and 11am].

And every year during Super Bowl Sunday, the church staff gets our share of inquiries, emails, prayer requests, and bribe money to either cancel the 5pm service or reschedule it to another time slot – in lieu of a churchwide party at the church building or warehouse.  And honestly, I was very tempted couple years ago when the Seahawks played the Pittsburgh Stealers in the big game but Minhee was quick to rebuke the living daylights out of me in my moment of weakness.

So, if one chooses to go to an earlier service or altogether miss church that Sunday, it’s no biggie since we’re all adults and can make your own decisions.  Better yet, plan your wedding on that weekend so you can take a trip out of town during your anniversary.  I’m cool with folks hosting their parties; going to neighbors’ homes; partying with co-workers, etc. But won’t cancel “church” because “church” should be seen more than an “event” that we can just cancel or reschedule.  And if you’re a pastor or leader that have wrestled with this and made the “other” decision – more power to you.  I’m sure you have good reasons.

As for me, I’ve come to peace that even if no one shows up to the 5pm service, it just doesn’t matter.  Until the 5pm folds or moves to another permanent time slot, we’re going to hold our time of worship, songs and psalms, teaching, and communion.  And regarding the Super Bowl being a great “outreach” event, gimme a break…   I’d love to hear otherwise if I’m wrong.

But I must say…that was an incredible catch.

Filed under: religion, sports

1. BK says:

I agree with you but it’s just hard for churches if they only hold one service around that time slot. I would assume that it’s easier for you since you have other services for people to attend.

2. Janet says:

I don’t know if I’d go as far as using “idolatry” to describe the event but it’s definitely become some sort of religious or cultura festival/holiday of sorts.

3. awsaufley says:

I almost agree with your “Super Bowl outreach” comment. Our church has done Super Bowl “outreach” in the past (not knowing that the NFL could come after us for putting it on the big screen!), and it was a full-blown failure. However, this year I was invited to a neighbor’s Super Bowl party because my little girl and their girls are friends. They are definitely not “churched”. We watched the game, and spent most of the 4th quarter chatting… about faith, about the church. The conversation was completely started by them. It was really cool, and definitely opened a door for future conversations. It was the coolest Super Bowl ever (and I watch them all).

So the Super Bowl can be outreach… if Christians will make the effort to develop real friendships with their neighbors and trust God to open up doors. Who knows what can happen?

4. josh says:

i missed the game. believe it or not i was with some folks who were in a car wreck. so i got to check my phone for scores sitting on a curb in st. pete. brilliant.

5. e cho says:

awsaufley: meeting with friends, neighbors, and strangers in people’s homes sound great cause it’s natural. the idea of opening up the church to host a super bowl party sound unnatural and forced to me. but then again, i hear how churches draw hundreds to that sort of an event. i don’t oppose the latter but not supportive of canceling a normal worship communal gathering for the super bowl holiday.

6. Brian says:

In the day of Tivo and DVR it is certainly not difficult to remain faithful to the time you have set for “worship, songs and psalms, teaching, and communion.” What I find significant is that your position is that you would miss the Superbowl for these without reservation. I am with you. I can always watch another Superbowl but time spent with God, time in the presence of the Spitit is irreplacable. P.S. You are welcome at my place to watch the Superbowl anytime.

7. Rebecca says:

I’m grateful that we keep the 5 no matter the teams playing-there was a good group of us who came to the five and had great worship and fellowship. We’re not going to fold anytime soon!

8. Ric Wild says:

I totally respect the decision to hold the 5 PM service, even on the Super Bowl. But I work at a church in New England, I didn’t think for a second that I would actually have our normal Sunday night youth group. I literally would have been playing capture the flag alone.

9. Kim says:

But won’t cancel “church” because “church” should be seen more than an “event” that we can just cancel or reschedule.

Wow!! That just really hit me right now, thanks Eugene. So true.

"He must become greater; I must become less." - John 3:30 We have to remind ourselves of this truth every day lest we forget:

Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant.

Be faithful.

PS: Also, it helps to get some Vitamin D especially if you live in the rainy Northwest Thank you, Brooklyn, for the reminder. Umm, @jlin7 is a Christian but he wasn't very Christlike with me on the basketball court. He muscled me into the paint, dunked on me, mentioned my momma, and then said, "Stick with preaching." Just kidding. Kind of.

If you haven't heard, Jeremy Lin is donating his one games wages (approximately $140,000) and an additional $100 for every 3 pointer made to support Girls' Empowerment and Education through @onedayswages. That game is this Friday vs the Boston Celtics!

Join his campaign as he's inviting his fans to donate just $7. - http://onedayswages.org/jlin

Did you know that 32 million girls of lower secondary school age are not enrolled in school.

Did you know that every year of secondary school increases a girl’s future earning power by 20 percent.

Did you know that if all girls in Sub-Saharan Africa, South and West Asia had a secondary education, child marriage would fall by 64 percent.

We can't change the entire world but we can impact the lives of one, few, and in some cases...many.

#jeremylin #jlin #linsanity #onedayswages Don't be held captive to either praise or criticism.

Know who you are.
Know what you're about.
Know WHO you serve.

The answer to who you serve makes all the difference... It's the day after International Women's Day - and it's still important to celebrate the contribution of women in our lives, society, and world. As we honor women all around the world, I'm also reminded of how women and children are those who are most deeply impacted by injustice - especially poverty.

Sadly, I have witnessed this reality in too many places. ​In 2012, I traveled to a remote area in Eastern Kenya as part of a @onedayswages response to a famine that struck the Horn of Africa region. This famine impacted nearly 13 million people and according to some sources, took the lives of about 250,000 people. During my trip there, I had the chance of meeting many people but the person that still remains in my memory was a Muslim woman named Sahara.

She was so hospitable in inviting us to her small and temporary home. During our conversation, I learned that ​Sahara traveled 300 kilometers (a little under 200 miles) – some by cart and some by foot – as they sought to escape the worst drought that has impacted East Africa (Kenya, Somalia, and Ethiopia) in the past 60 years.

This is not a misprint.
200.

She traveled about 200 miles on cart and foot. ​And all along, she was ill. If you look closely ​at the photo, you might notice the large lump in her throat - likely a large cancerous tumor.​ She did not travel alone. She traveled with her husband who I was not able to meet because he was staying with one of his five other wives in this polygamist community.  She did not travel alone. She also traveled with her six children – the youngest being about 1 and the oldest being around 8. She had just given birth to her sixth child when they began her journey. Her youngest was severely malnourished when they arrived to this new settlement in a town called Benane.
Sahara and her children all survived this journey. They survived because she persisted.
In honor of Sahara...and so many other women who keep...keeping on.