super bowl idolatry

My family and I spent the weekend in Vancouver, British Columbia to mark our wedding anniversary.  It felt foreign but refreshing to not be at church with any responsibilities.  And conveniently, it happened to be Super Bowl Sunday.  Great game, eh?  The kids and the wife weren’t so interested but I enjoyed the game.  By now, you’ve all heard about what may come down as one of the greatest upsets.

As I was watching the game, I mentioned to my wife that it’s been six years since I’ve watched the Super Bowl.  I’ve caught the last few minutes here and there but this was first time I’ve seen the game in its entirety in six years.  I enjoy sports but the reason is because Quest began with a 5pm gathering and has continued to host the 5pm service [along with a 9.15am and 11am].

And every year during Super Bowl Sunday, the church staff gets our share of inquiries, emails, prayer requests, and bribe money to either cancel the 5pm service or reschedule it to another time slot – in lieu of a churchwide party at the church building or warehouse.  And honestly, I was very tempted couple years ago when the Seahawks played the Pittsburgh Stealers in the big game but Minhee was quick to rebuke the living daylights out of me in my moment of weakness.

So, if one chooses to go to an earlier service or altogether miss church that Sunday, it’s no biggie since we’re all adults and can make your own decisions.  Better yet, plan your wedding on that weekend so you can take a trip out of town during your anniversary.  I’m cool with folks hosting their parties; going to neighbors’ homes; partying with co-workers, etc. But won’t cancel “church” because “church” should be seen more than an “event” that we can just cancel or reschedule.  And if you’re a pastor or leader that have wrestled with this and made the “other” decision – more power to you.  I’m sure you have good reasons.

As for me, I’ve come to peace that even if no one shows up to the 5pm service, it just doesn’t matter.  Until the 5pm folds or moves to another permanent time slot, we’re going to hold our time of worship, songs and psalms, teaching, and communion.  And regarding the Super Bowl being a great “outreach” event, gimme a break…   I’d love to hear otherwise if I’m wrong.

But I must say…that was an incredible catch.

Filed under: religion, sports

1. BK says:

I agree with you but it’s just hard for churches if they only hold one service around that time slot. I would assume that it’s easier for you since you have other services for people to attend.

2. Janet says:

I don’t know if I’d go as far as using “idolatry” to describe the event but it’s definitely become some sort of religious or cultura festival/holiday of sorts.

3. awsaufley says:

I almost agree with your “Super Bowl outreach” comment. Our church has done Super Bowl “outreach” in the past (not knowing that the NFL could come after us for putting it on the big screen!), and it was a full-blown failure. However, this year I was invited to a neighbor’s Super Bowl party because my little girl and their girls are friends. They are definitely not “churched”. We watched the game, and spent most of the 4th quarter chatting… about faith, about the church. The conversation was completely started by them. It was really cool, and definitely opened a door for future conversations. It was the coolest Super Bowl ever (and I watch them all).

So the Super Bowl can be outreach… if Christians will make the effort to develop real friendships with their neighbors and trust God to open up doors. Who knows what can happen?

4. josh says:

i missed the game. believe it or not i was with some folks who were in a car wreck. so i got to check my phone for scores sitting on a curb in st. pete. brilliant.

5. e cho says:

awsaufley: meeting with friends, neighbors, and strangers in people’s homes sound great cause it’s natural. the idea of opening up the church to host a super bowl party sound unnatural and forced to me. but then again, i hear how churches draw hundreds to that sort of an event. i don’t oppose the latter but not supportive of canceling a normal worship communal gathering for the super bowl holiday.

6. Brian says:

In the day of Tivo and DVR it is certainly not difficult to remain faithful to the time you have set for “worship, songs and psalms, teaching, and communion.” What I find significant is that your position is that you would miss the Superbowl for these without reservation. I am with you. I can always watch another Superbowl but time spent with God, time in the presence of the Spitit is irreplacable. P.S. You are welcome at my place to watch the Superbowl anytime.

7. Rebecca says:

I’m grateful that we keep the 5 no matter the teams playing-there was a good group of us who came to the five and had great worship and fellowship. We’re not going to fold anytime soon!

8. Ric Wild says:

I totally respect the decision to hold the 5 PM service, even on the Super Bowl. But I work at a church in New England, I didn’t think for a second that I would actually have our normal Sunday night youth group. I literally would have been playing capture the flag alone.

9. Kim says:

But won’t cancel “church” because “church” should be seen more than an “event” that we can just cancel or reschedule.

Wow!! That just really hit me right now, thanks Eugene. So true.

Window seat. For the win. As leaders, we must not see ministry and family as competing commitments.  We must not sacrifice our marriage and kids for the sake of "ministry." How can we? Loving our families IS ministry & good leadership.

And on a side note, we took this goofy photo for Mother's Day last Sunday at @seattlequest. I was shocked! What in the world happened to our kids? Our 13 year old son blocked four of my shots on the basketball court yesterday. He's since been grounded... I fear that we ask God to move mountains, forgetting that God also wants to move us.

In fact, it's possible that we are that mountain. Time flies. The eldest is wrapping up her 1st year in college and the college tours have begun for the 2nd child. The youngest enters high school in the Fall. Can't say enough about how proud Minhee and I are of the kids - not just of their accomplishments but the people they are and are becoming.

But...man...we can't wait to party it up when we're emptynesters. Party at our house. It's going to be epic. Humbled. Grateful. Mindful of God's grace and faithfulness in my life. It's all grace... It's an unexpected honor to be invited back - even with some mini-drama - to @princetonseminary to receive the 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award - exactly 25 years after starting my journey there as a student in 1992. Wow.

Princeton isn't necessarily for everyone. And to say that I loved everything about my experience would be misleading but it was very formative. Ir challenged me to examine why I believed in what I believed. It reminded me that God could handle my questions. It prepared me for a post-Christian context where I am not entitled to be heard but I had to earn the right to be heard, and of course, it taught me that all is good with a Philly cheese steak at Hoagie Haven.

No one is an island to themselves and I am certainly an example of that. Many people - women and men, young and old, and of many backgrounds - prayed, encouraged, mentored, and loved me along the way. Grateful for my professors at seminary, my many classmates, and the numerous fellow staff and co-laborers I've had the privilege of serving Christ with past and present. And of course, I'm forever inspired by my parents, my children, and my wife, Minhee. Thank you for your faith, hope, and love...and oh, for your patience. Only your family will know and see both the best and worst of you. They've seen my worst...and keep on believing in me.

Thank you again, PTS and President Barnes, for this honor. Then, today, and tomorrow...by God's grace, just striving to be faithful to my Lord and Savior...to preach and live out the convictions of the whole Gospel. Amen. So humbled and grateful to be with @catalystleader in Cincinnati to encourage leaders from all around the country about the invitation to Uncommon Fellowship.

Preached from John 4. We can talk, preach, sing, philsophize, liturgize, and spit rhymes about Samaria...but we still have to talk through Samaria.

• "They got money for wars but can't feed the poor." ~ Tupac #trumpbudget || 18 hours ago
  • Heartbroken. Praying for Manchester & the UK. For those mourning loved ones. For those injured and fighting for life. Lord, in your mercy. || 2 days ago
  • Window seat. For the win. https://t.co/yG66Sm2bvu || 4 days ago
  • As leaders, we must not sacrifice our family for the sake of ministry because loving our family IS good leadership: instagram.com/p/BUVAGVwg-5z/ || 4 days ago
  • We long for a Gospel that comforts but resist the Gospel that disrupts. Having the former without the latter seduces us into complacency. || 4 days ago
  • Love wins in the end but in the meanwhile,it fights for things that matter. Love isn't sentimental. It's both gentle & fierce. Love endures. || 5 days ago