super bowl idolatry

My family and I spent the weekend in Vancouver, British Columbia to mark our wedding anniversary.  It felt foreign but refreshing to not be at church with any responsibilities.  And conveniently, it happened to be Super Bowl Sunday.  Great game, eh?  The kids and the wife weren’t so interested but I enjoyed the game.  By now, you’ve all heard about what may come down as one of the greatest upsets.

As I was watching the game, I mentioned to my wife that it’s been six years since I’ve watched the Super Bowl.  I’ve caught the last few minutes here and there but this was first time I’ve seen the game in its entirety in six years.  I enjoy sports but the reason is because Quest began with a 5pm gathering and has continued to host the 5pm service [along with a 9.15am and 11am].

And every year during Super Bowl Sunday, the church staff gets our share of inquiries, emails, prayer requests, and bribe money to either cancel the 5pm service or reschedule it to another time slot – in lieu of a churchwide party at the church building or warehouse.  And honestly, I was very tempted couple years ago when the Seahawks played the Pittsburgh Stealers in the big game but Minhee was quick to rebuke the living daylights out of me in my moment of weakness.

So, if one chooses to go to an earlier service or altogether miss church that Sunday, it’s no biggie since we’re all adults and can make your own decisions.  Better yet, plan your wedding on that weekend so you can take a trip out of town during your anniversary.  I’m cool with folks hosting their parties; going to neighbors’ homes; partying with co-workers, etc. But won’t cancel “church” because “church” should be seen more than an “event” that we can just cancel or reschedule.  And if you’re a pastor or leader that have wrestled with this and made the “other” decision – more power to you.  I’m sure you have good reasons.

As for me, I’ve come to peace that even if no one shows up to the 5pm service, it just doesn’t matter.  Until the 5pm folds or moves to another permanent time slot, we’re going to hold our time of worship, songs and psalms, teaching, and communion.  And regarding the Super Bowl being a great “outreach” event, gimme a break…   I’d love to hear otherwise if I’m wrong.

But I must say…that was an incredible catch.

Filed under: religion, sports

1. BK says:

I agree with you but it’s just hard for churches if they only hold one service around that time slot. I would assume that it’s easier for you since you have other services for people to attend.

2. Janet says:

I don’t know if I’d go as far as using “idolatry” to describe the event but it’s definitely become some sort of religious or cultura festival/holiday of sorts.

3. awsaufley says:

I almost agree with your “Super Bowl outreach” comment. Our church has done Super Bowl “outreach” in the past (not knowing that the NFL could come after us for putting it on the big screen!), and it was a full-blown failure. However, this year I was invited to a neighbor’s Super Bowl party because my little girl and their girls are friends. They are definitely not “churched”. We watched the game, and spent most of the 4th quarter chatting… about faith, about the church. The conversation was completely started by them. It was really cool, and definitely opened a door for future conversations. It was the coolest Super Bowl ever (and I watch them all).

So the Super Bowl can be outreach… if Christians will make the effort to develop real friendships with their neighbors and trust God to open up doors. Who knows what can happen?

4. josh says:

i missed the game. believe it or not i was with some folks who were in a car wreck. so i got to check my phone for scores sitting on a curb in st. pete. brilliant.

5. e cho says:

awsaufley: meeting with friends, neighbors, and strangers in people’s homes sound great cause it’s natural. the idea of opening up the church to host a super bowl party sound unnatural and forced to me. but then again, i hear how churches draw hundreds to that sort of an event. i don’t oppose the latter but not supportive of canceling a normal worship communal gathering for the super bowl holiday.

6. Brian says:

In the day of Tivo and DVR it is certainly not difficult to remain faithful to the time you have set for “worship, songs and psalms, teaching, and communion.” What I find significant is that your position is that you would miss the Superbowl for these without reservation. I am with you. I can always watch another Superbowl but time spent with God, time in the presence of the Spitit is irreplacable. P.S. You are welcome at my place to watch the Superbowl anytime.

7. Rebecca says:

I’m grateful that we keep the 5 no matter the teams playing-there was a good group of us who came to the five and had great worship and fellowship. We’re not going to fold anytime soon!

8. Ric Wild says:

I totally respect the decision to hold the 5 PM service, even on the Super Bowl. But I work at a church in New England, I didn’t think for a second that I would actually have our normal Sunday night youth group. I literally would have been playing capture the flag alone.

9. Kim says:

But won’t cancel “church” because “church” should be seen more than an “event” that we can just cancel or reschedule.

Wow!! That just really hit me right now, thanks Eugene. So true.

To support both the equality of women and the dignity of the unborn feels like a very lonely place to be but I know we're not alone. May we press on. And may we lead with hope.

I'm at the Women's March in Seattle to show my solidarity with my wife, my mothers, my daughters, and the female congregants of my church. I'm also here to model for my son what we believe in our home. Many people have already expressed their disappointment, dismay, and disgust with my decision. Such is life. We will always disappoint someone. And that's also a lot of words that begin with "d." I'm here not because I agree or disagree with every single statement or sign at this march (although I really liked this one) but because as a Christian, I believe in the fundamental truth that women are fearfully and wonderfully made in the image of God. They are to be valued, heard, and respected.

And because I believe we can't be a flourishing society without the flourishing of women. And because the Church cannot be the Church without the gifts and voices of women. All the gifts of women.

And in doing so, may we together honor the sanctity of life - from womb to tomb. Collaboration.

col·lab·o·ra·tion
kəˌlabəˈrāSH(ə)n/
noun

the action of working with someone or a group of others  to produce or create something.

May we hold our logos, egos, and tribalism have their place. May we hold them loosely for they too shall pass. May we collaborate for the sake of the greater Kingdom of God ... which endures forever. As we honor Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., don't forget the God behind the man. The one true God who deposited this dream into MLK is still speaking to us today. Are we listening?

Be courageous. Be brave.

Being invited by the King Family to speak at the MLK worship service at Ebenezer Baptist Church in 2016 remains one of the most unexpected honors of my life. On the right is his daughter, Dr. Bernice King and his sister, Dr. Christine King Farris. Walking throughstreet markets in different parts of the world is the best. Soaking in the culture. Listening to the local language and music. Enjoying the amazing cuisine. Meeting new friends. Praying for the Gospel to penetrate. #ChiangRai Blessed be the local, indigenous leaders for it is they who live in the very communities they seek to love. For it is they who understand their context and culture...better than a Westerner ever will. For it is they who will continue to tenaciously pursue a better world with hope, justice and love when visitors like me leave.

Yes, blessed be the local, indigenous leaders. What an honor and privilege to celebrate with the on-the-ground local @thefreedomstory team to celebrate the recent opening of their Education and Resource Center for the local youth in Chiang Rai, Thailanf. This was made possible through a partnership and matching grant by @onedayswages and The Freedom Story.

While it was an honor to be there to cut the cord and say a few words, this is an example of collaboration. Much love to the Freedom Story team including their co-founders Tawee Donchai and @Rachel Goble, to their staff who live in the community, who understand their context and culture, and who tenaciously pursue a better world with hope, justice and love. And of course, much love to the students themselves for they each matter. Finally, to each person that donated to @onedayswages to make this grant possible.

May hundreds and even thousands of youth be impacted, encouraged, and mentored. May they capture a glimpse of God's love for them.

Photo: @benjaminedwards

• Really loved this sign from the women's march from one of our church congregants. Counter cultural. Subversive. L… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 4 hours ago
  • To support both the equality of women & the dignity of the unborn can be lonely but we're not alone. Lead with hope: instagram.com/p/BPjMGTOhMjL/ || 5 hours ago
  • To support both the equality of women & the dignity of the unborn feels like a very lonely place to be but we're not alone. May we press on. || 8 hours ago
  • Going to the Women's March in Seattle bc as a Christian, I believe women are fearfully and wonderfully made and are to be heard & respected. || 11 hours ago
  • Christians: May we be guided by the Scriptures that remind us, "Seek first the Kingdom of God" and not, "Seek first the kingdom of America." || 12 hours ago
  • God bless America...so that we may be a blessing to the hurting, poor, vulnerable, immigrants, oppressed, marginalized. God bless America. || 1 day ago