freezing chicago

I’m currently in Chicago for a quick visit to the Covenant Midwinter Conference  and to re-connect with some pastor colleagues around North America and will be returning to Seattle later today.  It snowed yesterday [again] in Seattle and I know folks have been complaining about the cold.  Well, toughen up…it’s nothing compared to how others have it…

This is the the forecast for Chicago today [Tuesday]:

Feels Like
5°F

9pm

17°F

Feels Like
7°F

And let’s not even talk about eastern Canada where the temp [w/ wind chill factor] will be between 26-38 degrees celsius!  Honestly, I know that Chicago is a wonderful city but I don’t know how people put up with the freezing winters and muggy summers.  I choose dark, gray, and rain – and the beautiful topography and luscious green forestry of Seattle and the Pacific Northwest – any day!  Drinking coffee and eating pho just feels better in Seattle than anywhere else in my opinion.

In a rush, I came with my typical Seattle wardrobe – jeans, two shirts, and my Goodwill blazer.  Nice.  Stay warm everyone and be safe.

Filed under: travel

1. Kris says:

I’m not sure where you got this Tuesday morning forecast, but it was in the 40’s this morning in Chicagoland. It is supposed to take a big dip in temps this afternoon and snow is predicted for this afternoon with blizzard like conditions with wind, etc. Ahh, never a dull moment.

2. David says:

I’m meeting my folks this evening at the Hilton where the Midwinter Conference is taking place. They’re from California… so this weather is even more of a shock to them. Some Caribou Coffee, Lou Malnati’s deep dish pizza, or just about any brew from Goose Island will help take the edge off.

Enjoy the windy city.

3. danielktaylor says:

In Edmonton today its -43 with windchill. At minus 30 celsius and fahrenheit become the same. Enjoy balmy chicao

4. e cho says:

kris: got the forecast from weather.com. but, yes, i’m curious to see what a quick drop in temp feels like.

daniel: -43? that’s wrong.

5. Kacie says:

hah! So true. After six years in Chicago, this is my first winter in Dallas. Can’t say I like Dallas as a city, but I am still SOAKING up the nearly-70 degree days in the middle of January.

So, as a Chicago-lover, I begrudgingly concede that you’re right, Chicago sucks in the winter. All the rest of the year, though, is amazing. If you’ve got any extra time to take in some Chicago highlights, then hit Devon street for amazing Indian food, and be sure to try an Intelligensia mocha or latte… to die for. There’s also better Mexican food in Chicago then in Dallas, ironically.

Chicago is lacking in good eastern Asian food, though. Not an Indonesian restaurant in the metroplex? Ridiculous.

6. djchuang says:

great to see you here at the Hyatt for Mid-winter, thanks for allowing me to crash your breakfast time, though I don’t think you had a choice in the matter 🙂 🙂 love what you’re becoming there in the midst of the parish of Seattle, and the beauty and goodness of God that you’re seeking to live out, and inspiring others to do likewise

7. m@ says:

suck it up, west-coaster. 😉 (P.S. I’m coming back soon, thank God. “soon” is open-ended though. 😉 )

8. Ric Wild says:

I was in freezing Chicago for the Youth Workers Connection part of Midwinter. Two days before I was there they recorded -4. Not even New England gets that bad. I prefer the rain and sunless winter days of the Pacific Northwest as well. I went to the Connection alone and didn’t know many people there so I tried to do a lot of name dropping to make up for it. I think I’ll like these kinds of gatherings more when I’ve been around for a while. Enjoy the rest of your time at Midwinter.

9. e cho says:

it was about 46 degrees around Noon on Tuesday. and by 8pm, it was 3 degrees and about -15 with wind chill. it was unreal. haven’t seen snow go sidways for such a long time.

10. Jason D says:

we live in chicago because we like excitement in our weather.

and we don’t like avalanches, mudslides, sink holes, tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, monsoons, suicidal depression that comes with overwhelming rainy days, nor the threat that our entire state is going to fall into the ocean. so, in return, we have the moodiest weather outside of desserts ever.

btw, i’ve been reading your blog for awhile and today is the first time i realized that you’re in the Covenant Church. my wife and i just became members of New Community Covenant Church here in the north side of Chicago. small crazy’ world, indeed.

11. e cho says:

Jason,

Touche! Chicago suddenly sounds wonderful.

Is NCCC pastored by P. Hong?

12. Jason D says:

yes. peter hong. associate pastor is michael washington. great guys.

13. […] the whole time, b/c there are so many next gen Asian American pastors here in this mix, including Eugene Cho, Ed Lee, Walton Yuen, Ted Law, Peter Ahn, Abe Han, Dave Chae, Greg Yee, John Lee, and more. Locals […]

Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. Thanks for your prayers.
I have numerous stories to share but for now, the following came up in every conversation with Iraqi/Syrian refugees:

1 Have tea with us. Or coffee. Or juice. Or something with lots of sugar in it. Or better yet, all of the above.
2 We want peace. We want security.
3 We hate ISIS.
4 We just want to go home.
5 Please don't forget us.

Please don't forget them... Father, please bless and protect these Iraqi and Syrian "refugee" children that have already endured so much. Protect their hearts and mind from unfathomable trauma. Plant seeds of hope and vision in their lives. And as we pray for them, teach us how to advocate for them. Amen. "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." -  local Iraqi priest whose church has welcomed many "relatives" to their church's property

It's always a privilege to be invited into peoples' home for tea - even if it's a temporary tent. This is an extended Yezidi family that fled the Mosul, Iraq area because of ISIS. It's indeed true that Christians were targeted by ISIS and thatbstory muat be shared but other minority groups like the Yezidis were also targeted. Some of their heartbreaking stories included the kidnapping of their sister. They shared that their father passed away shortly of a "broken heart." The conversation was emotional but afterwards, we asked each other for permission to take photos. Once the selfies came out, the real smiles came out.

So friends: Pray for Iraq. Pray for the persecuted Church. Pray for Christians, minority groups like the Yezidis who fear they will e completely wiped out in the Middle East,, and Muslims alike who are all suffering under ISIS. Friends: I'm traveling in the Middle East this week - Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. (Make sure you follow my pics/stories on IG stories). Specifically, I'm here representing @onedayswages to meet, learn, and listen to pastors, local leaders, NGOs, and of course directly from refugees from within these countries - including many from Syria.

For security purposes, I haven't been able to share at all but I'm now able to start sharing some photos and stories. For now, I'll be sharing numerous photos through my IG stories and will be sharing some longer written pieces in couple months when ODW launches another wave of partnerships to come alongside refugees in these areas. Four of us are traveling together also for the purpose of creating a short documentary that we hope to release early next year.

While I'm on my church sabbatical, it's truly a privilege to be able to come to these countries and to meet local pastors and indigenous leaders that tirelessly pursue peace and justice, and to hear directly from refugees. I've read so many various articles and pieces over the years and I thought I was prepared but it has been jarring, heartbreaking,  and gut wrenching. In the midst of such chaos, there's hope but there's also a lot of questions, too.

I hope you follow along as I share photos, stories, and help release this mini-documentary. Please tag friends that might be interested.

Please pray for safety, for empathy, for humility and integrity, for divine meetings. Pray that we listen well; To be present and not just be a consumer of these vulnerable stories. That's my biggest prayer.

Special thanks to @worldvisionusa and @worldrelief for hosting us on this journey. 9/11
Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.

Today, I had some gut wrenching and heart breaking conversations about war, violence, and peacemaking. Mostly, I listened. Never in my wildest imagination did I envision having these conversations on 9/11 of all days. I wish I could share more now but I hope to later after I process them for a few days.

But indeed: Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.
May it be so. Amen. Mount Rainier is simply epic. There's nothing like flying in and out of Seattle.

#mountrainier
#seattle
#northwestisbest

• Boom. Final fishing trip. Grateful. A nice way to end my 3 month sabbatical. #catchandrelease twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 1 day ago
  • Christians: May we be guided by the Scriptures that remind us, "Seek first the Kingdom of God" and not, "Seek first the kingdom of America." || 1 day ago
  • Every convo with Iraqi/Syrian refugees included: 1 Have tea with us 2 We want peace 3 We hate ISIS 4 We want to go home 5 Don't forget us || 4 days ago
  • Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan to assess @OneDaysWages' partnerships & to film mini-documentary on refugee crisis. So many emotions. || 4 days ago
  • Pray for Mexico. For those mourning loved ones. For those fighting for life - even under rubbles. For rescue workers. Lord, in your mercy. || 4 days ago
  • Don't underestimate what God can do through you. God has a very long history of using foolish and broken people for His purposes and glory. || 6 days ago