freezing chicago

I’m currently in Chicago for a quick visit to the Covenant Midwinter Conference  and to re-connect with some pastor colleagues around North America and will be returning to Seattle later today.  It snowed yesterday [again] in Seattle and I know folks have been complaining about the cold.  Well, toughen up…it’s nothing compared to how others have it…

This is the the forecast for Chicago today [Tuesday]:

Feels Like
5°F

9pm

17°F

Feels Like
7°F

And let’s not even talk about eastern Canada where the temp [w/ wind chill factor] will be between 26-38 degrees celsius!  Honestly, I know that Chicago is a wonderful city but I don’t know how people put up with the freezing winters and muggy summers.  I choose dark, gray, and rain – and the beautiful topography and luscious green forestry of Seattle and the Pacific Northwest – any day!  Drinking coffee and eating pho just feels better in Seattle than anywhere else in my opinion.

In a rush, I came with my typical Seattle wardrobe – jeans, two shirts, and my Goodwill blazer.  Nice.  Stay warm everyone and be safe.

Filed under: travel

1. Kris says:

I’m not sure where you got this Tuesday morning forecast, but it was in the 40’s this morning in Chicagoland. It is supposed to take a big dip in temps this afternoon and snow is predicted for this afternoon with blizzard like conditions with wind, etc. Ahh, never a dull moment.

2. David says:

I’m meeting my folks this evening at the Hilton where the Midwinter Conference is taking place. They’re from California… so this weather is even more of a shock to them. Some Caribou Coffee, Lou Malnati’s deep dish pizza, or just about any brew from Goose Island will help take the edge off.

Enjoy the windy city.

3. danielktaylor says:

In Edmonton today its -43 with windchill. At minus 30 celsius and fahrenheit become the same. Enjoy balmy chicao

4. e cho says:

kris: got the forecast from weather.com. but, yes, i’m curious to see what a quick drop in temp feels like.

daniel: -43? that’s wrong.

5. Kacie says:

hah! So true. After six years in Chicago, this is my first winter in Dallas. Can’t say I like Dallas as a city, but I am still SOAKING up the nearly-70 degree days in the middle of January.

So, as a Chicago-lover, I begrudgingly concede that you’re right, Chicago sucks in the winter. All the rest of the year, though, is amazing. If you’ve got any extra time to take in some Chicago highlights, then hit Devon street for amazing Indian food, and be sure to try an Intelligensia mocha or latte… to die for. There’s also better Mexican food in Chicago then in Dallas, ironically.

Chicago is lacking in good eastern Asian food, though. Not an Indonesian restaurant in the metroplex? Ridiculous.

6. djchuang says:

great to see you here at the Hyatt for Mid-winter, thanks for allowing me to crash your breakfast time, though I don’t think you had a choice in the matter🙂🙂 love what you’re becoming there in the midst of the parish of Seattle, and the beauty and goodness of God that you’re seeking to live out, and inspiring others to do likewise

7. m@ says:

suck it up, west-coaster.😉 (P.S. I’m coming back soon, thank God. “soon” is open-ended though.😉 )

8. Ric Wild says:

I was in freezing Chicago for the Youth Workers Connection part of Midwinter. Two days before I was there they recorded -4. Not even New England gets that bad. I prefer the rain and sunless winter days of the Pacific Northwest as well. I went to the Connection alone and didn’t know many people there so I tried to do a lot of name dropping to make up for it. I think I’ll like these kinds of gatherings more when I’ve been around for a while. Enjoy the rest of your time at Midwinter.

9. e cho says:

it was about 46 degrees around Noon on Tuesday. and by 8pm, it was 3 degrees and about -15 with wind chill. it was unreal. haven’t seen snow go sidways for such a long time.

10. Jason D says:

we live in chicago because we like excitement in our weather.

and we don’t like avalanches, mudslides, sink holes, tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, monsoons, suicidal depression that comes with overwhelming rainy days, nor the threat that our entire state is going to fall into the ocean. so, in return, we have the moodiest weather outside of desserts ever.

btw, i’ve been reading your blog for awhile and today is the first time i realized that you’re in the Covenant Church. my wife and i just became members of New Community Covenant Church here in the north side of Chicago. small crazy’ world, indeed.

11. e cho says:

Jason,

Touche! Chicago suddenly sounds wonderful.

Is NCCC pastored by P. Hong?

12. Jason D says:

yes. peter hong. associate pastor is michael washington. great guys.

13. […] the whole time, b/c there are so many next gen Asian American pastors here in this mix, including Eugene Cho, Ed Lee, Walton Yuen, Ted Law, Peter Ahn, Abe Han, Dave Chae, Greg Yee, John Lee, and more. Locals […]