banner presence feedback

We’re in the process of redesigning a new banner for the Q Cafe for the huge side wall of the Warehouse and we need your feedback about the designs below!  We’re very excited about the initial responses we’ve been getting from folks to the changes in the cafe but after five years, there are many who still don’t quite know who we are.  Here’s an example of what I’m talking about:

We both wondered what the Q was when it first showed up. It didn’t look like a regular cafe. Was it part of a church? Would we be beset by evangelists if we dared to stop in for coffee? Was it a place to stop in for coffee, or was it something else? Was it like a VFW hall, a gathering place for a specific group of people that happened to serve beer (coffee)? Its warehouse size was cuing that it was something other than a cafe. Whatever it was, neither of us felt compelled to stop and check it out. A place needs to be clear about what it is to inspire “triers”.

Thinking about what it is, what do you say it is? There should be a one-sentence answer.

So, here are are our possible banners thanks to the work of Angela and Hage Creative Design with our simple one sentence answer.  Note that the sizes of the banners will be 180 x 40 = huge.

qcafe1.jpg

qcafe2.jpg

qcafe3.jpg

Questions:

1. What do you think about the sentence description?  Is it simple but clear enough?
  2. What do you think about the general banner design?  What changes would you propose?  Which of those 3 would you choose?  [Note:  the exterior cafe/warehouse color is blue]

Filed under:

1. Phil says:

I think it is great. I like #3 the best, the black brings it out. I think it is simple and shows the community aspect, people are looking for community.

2. Aaron says:

Looks good…
    What about #3, with the color around the “Q” from #1?

3. BK says:

The short description is perfect. Straight to the point but still conveys the uniqueness of Q Cafe. Of the designs, #3 gets my vote.

4. 1) it is simple and good
    2) i like #2 more because #3’s black saucer/plate under the cup takes away from the light orange which brings out the Q, #1 is nice but lacks the oomph of #2.

5. Randall says:

I think adding “free trade” to Espresso and Tea would say a lot about the values of the cafe.

And I like #3.

6. jpkang says:

My comments are about the byline on the right. To paraphrase emperor Joseph in Amadeus, “there are simply too many notes words!”

Taking into consideration the sunlight/shadows during the day, I’d choose dark lettering for maximal legibility (black or maybe a blue to match the exterior). Also, “café” is already prominent in the name, so I wonder if you need to repeat it or even the word “neighborhood.” And what café doesn’t serve espresso and tea?

So, my suggestion:

Q Café | Featuring Art, Live Music, and Community Events

7. Jennifer says:

I like 2 or 3. I thin the orange would really pop agianst the blue building.

The sentence is good….as long as the text will be big enough for people to read as they drive past.

8. I’m with JPKang in that I think it has far too many words. The left of the banner already tells the reader that it’s a cafe so there’s no need to say that again. I think the verbiage as it stands is good for a mission statement but a banner would do better with JPKang’s byline or even a little simpler:

left side:
    Q Cafe (logo)
    right side first line:
    Community Espresso and Tea
    right side second line:
    with Art and Live Music

9. Andrea says:

I vote for leaving off the first line. I also think darker lettering is better than white, which can be difficult to read sometimes. Are you going to have Stumptown somewhere on the outside of the building as well? You might add that…

10. leochen says:

I vote for keeping it really simple too. Catchy and to the point… Big huge bold words like

“Arts, Music, Event Rental”

Then in a different font, perhaps some kind of hand-writing font to give it a punctuated feel and says “Caffeinated”

or something like that

11. m@ says:

I can’t really tell what that watermarked thing is under the Q…

Anyway, I agree with a couple of points here. Less words, emphasize fair trade (attracts a new market segment), maybe add something that confirms you as the “anti-Starbucks” (a little competition never hurt anyone!)

12. queltica says:

I like #3, with black lettering:

Q Cafe –
    Fair Trade Coffee and Tea
    Art, Live Music, Community Events

13. djchuang says:

I like #2 the most, like warjian commented.. with any sign, whether smallish or huge, contrast is important, and fewer words is important. The slogan has way too many words; if you can reduce it down to 5 words or less, that’d be much easier to scan read when driving by, and boils down (pun intended) the message to its essence, cf. the Verizon billboard with one big word, “RELIABLE.”

one idea: try to put a faint horizontal line on the right half of the banner, to split up the 2 line slogan, or, 2 horizontal bars with white on orange + black on grey (play around with color schemes, see if this concept can work), and on the top bar, put “fair trade coffee, espresso, & tea”, on the bottom bar, put “art, live music & events for the neighborhood”

14. Blake says:

I like #3, but I’m with M@… I couldn’t initially tell that the swirl beneath the Q was a coffee mug.

Though I do think that the banner has lots of words, I think it is the best way to communicate what the cafe is… a community cafe.

It might be cool to throw the Stumptown coffee logo up somewhere on the outside too.

15. Blake says:

Oh yeah, I think djchuang may have hit the sweet spot… potentially substituting “fair traide” with “direct trade.”

16. JB says:

you’ve gotten some good feedback here: short and readable. The reversed out white letters look cool but are hard to read. A tag line that embodies the spirit of the place would be great. Can any of the creative minds here come up with one?

It’d be cool if the idea of conversation could be incorporated too. The idea that you can interact with people here.

Unsolicited idea # 82: In addition to a banner use some of that great street-facing real estate on the north wall for a weekly calendar. I don’t know how to execute it, but I imagine driving by there and each week looking to see what’s “fresh”. Because it changes all the time, I wouldn’t tune it out and stop seeing it (to mix a metaphor). So maybe it’s got a few fixed items “Music” “Gallery” “???” and “Fair trade or Stumptown coffee have kind of fixed places on the graphic, with a place to write in or a readerboard type thing for what day and who/what is on. So you get “Music: the rocking whoevers FRI” Gallery: “Phtography by Annie Liebowitz Thru 1/31” “Community: QA Peace Activist Netowrk THURS @7” and “Stumptown Coffee and Free WiFi: EVERY DAY”.

So you train people a) to look as they drive by; b) where the Q is, c)what kind of stuff goes on there and you get people talking about it.

17. 3mily says:

I agree with JPKang about the lettering… this design has a little too much word-age & some of it’s vaguely redundant. It’s not necessary to put the mission/vision on a large outside sign. “Neighbourhood” is central to the mission, but way too much information for a sign. Save that for brochures! I like JP’s suggestion: Q Café | Featuring Art, Live Music, and Community Events

I’d go with #2 or #3 in terms of colours.

Thank you, Brooklyn, for the reminder. Umm, @jlin7 is a Christian but he wasn't very Christlike with me on the basketball court. He muscled me into the paint, dunked on me, mentioned my momma, and then said, "Stick with preaching." Just kidding. Kind of.

If you haven't heard, Jeremy Lin is donating his one games wages (approximately $140,000) and an additional $100 for every 3 pointer made to support Girls' Empowerment and Education through @onedayswages. That game is this Friday vs the Boston Celtics!

Join his campaign as he's inviting his fans to donate just $7. - http://onedayswages.org/jlin

Did you know that 32 million girls of lower secondary school age are not enrolled in school.

Did you know that every year of secondary school increases a girl’s future earning power by 20 percent.

Did you know that if all girls in Sub-Saharan Africa, South and West Asia had a secondary education, child marriage would fall by 64 percent.

We can't change the entire world but we can impact the lives of one, few, and in some cases...many.

#jeremylin #jlin #linsanity #onedayswages Don't be held captive to either praise or criticism.

Know who you are.
Know what you're about.
Know WHO you serve.

The answer to who you serve makes all the difference... It's the day after International Women's Day - and it's still important to celebrate the contribution of women in our lives, society, and world. As we honor women all around the world, I'm also reminded of how women and children are those who are most deeply impacted by injustice - especially poverty.

Sadly, I have witnessed this reality in too many places. ​In 2012, I traveled to a remote area in Eastern Kenya as part of a @onedayswages response to a famine that struck the Horn of Africa region. This famine impacted nearly 13 million people and according to some sources, took the lives of about 250,000 people. During my trip there, I had the chance of meeting many people but the person that still remains in my memory was a Muslim woman named Sahara.

She was so hospitable in inviting us to her small and temporary home. During our conversation, I learned that ​Sahara traveled 300 kilometers (a little under 200 miles) – some by cart and some by foot – as they sought to escape the worst drought that has impacted East Africa (Kenya, Somalia, and Ethiopia) in the past 60 years.

This is not a misprint.
200.

She traveled about 200 miles on cart and foot. ​And all along, she was ill. If you look closely ​at the photo, you might notice the large lump in her throat - likely a large cancerous tumor.​ She did not travel alone. She traveled with her husband who I was not able to meet because he was staying with one of his five other wives in this polygamist community.  She did not travel alone. She also traveled with her six children – the youngest being about 1 and the oldest being around 8. She had just given birth to her sixth child when they began her journey. Her youngest was severely malnourished when they arrived to this new settlement in a town called Benane.
Sahara and her children all survived this journey. They survived because she persisted.
In honor of Sahara...and so many other women who keep...keeping on. I have to remind myself of this every day...because I can forget every day:

Don't be lazy and make assumptions about people. Ask about their story. Then listen. Be humble. Be teachable. Be human. Be a good neighbor. It's a sad reality but our society runs on the currency of fear. Don't feed into this frenzy.

Rather, invest in faith, hope, and love.