q cafe 2.0

copy-of-buildingcars.jpg

After a month of closing the Q Cafe to rest and re-examine our identity and purpose, we are very excited to re-open our doors today [redeem your coupon]. As we marked our 5 year anniversary recently, I am thankful for the many things we’ve accomplished over those years.  But, I’ve also learned how unsustainable it was to pursue all that we initially wanted to do.  In a sense, we wanted to change the world.  Now, we’re rebooting with the hope of simply being a great neighborhood cafe.  As I work with our newly forming Q Cafe Advisory Board, I’ve been trying to explain to our potential new customers that our identity is:

“Q Cafe is a neighborhood non-profit cafe featuring espresso and tea, art, live music, and community events.”

Through the generosity of several folks, we’ve also been able to do some remodeling to revitalize the space and presence.  Previously, our options were limited since we had to use the space for the cafe, live music, community center stuff, and church – all in 2500 square feet!  Now, that Quest is meeting next door in our “regular” church building, we can focus on creating a more beautiful cafe, art gallery, and music venue.   We think the changes – countertop tables for laptop users, two new desktops for customers [free internet], benches with outlets, some new furniture, a new kids/parents room, some new lighting, new art hanging system, etc. – will make the space much more useable and enjoyable.

And to top it off, we’ve forged a partnership with a new roaster – Stumptown Coffee.  I’ll share next week why after engaging in much research and conversation, we decided to partner with Stumptown.

We’ve got new artwork on the walls and Live Music shows will be taking place on the majority of Friday nights.  We would love to have you stop by try out the new coffee and space.  Here’s a coupon to encourage you to check us out.

Here are some images of the first five years and I honestly can’t wait to see what will unfold in the next five years.  I haven’t been this excited…well….umm…since we opened five years ago.

copy-of-coreys-pictures-050.jpg twellsatq3.jpg copy-of-_mg_0111.jpg lm6.jpg qhippop002.jpg _mg_4152.jpg nickelcreek3.jpg _c032454.jpg copy-of-_dsc0677.jpg

Filed under: , , , , ,

1. Pat says:

“If you build it, he will come”

It’s time for me to plan a coffee-fi workday!🙂

2. BK says:

Congratulations to you and your staff. Good luck as you guys enter the next five year!

3. jihunpark says:

sweet sauce

4. johnc says:

speaking as someone who loves the tatse of good coffee, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with being a fantastic place to sip a cup of coffee (esp. stumptown) with a friend while admiring the artwork or music created by local artists. it’s what makes the nw such a special place. congrats on your 5th yr. anniv.!

5. chad says:

Eugene, i want to bring a group of high school students to worship at Quest when Crossing Borders happens in March. is there anyway we can stay at the church?

6. e cho says:

chad: shoot me an email directly. not sure if you’ve been inside our space but we really don’t have too much space but it depends on how many kids you got.

7. Wentina says:

Hi Pastor,

I just saw this article on our website and thought you and the other folks at Q Cafe might be interested in it. http://www.grist.org/advice/products/2008/01/22/index.html

First day of our daughter's college years at this great school. We love you. We're so proud of you.We believe in you. Go Huskies. Go Dawgs. And also, beat Stanford this Friday. As I soaked in this breathtaking sunrise this morning above the clouds, I felt compelled to pray for so my places in America and around the world that are experiencing such pain, heartache, injustice, and violence. At times, it feels so overwhelming but in prayer, I was reminded of these words from John 16:33. As we keep striving, working, hoping, preaching, loving, truthtelling, reconciling, repenting, forgiving, dismantling, peacemaking, Kingdom building...may we fix our eyes on Christ: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” - John 16:33 Grateful for a very full weekend of ministry and preaching in Toronto, Canada (GTA). Such a privilege to partner with @worldvisioncan @wvcollective to advocate for the most vulnerable around the world. God is so gracious. A true honor to meet and encourage local pastors, lecture at Tyndale University & Seminary (photo), and preach at Richmond Hills Community Church, Compass Point Bible Church, and New City Church. Thank you, Lord, that you use broken and imperfect people like me to speak of Your love. Today, Minhee and I dropped off our eldest child at her college. We have been thinking and praying about this day for many years. On some days, we hoped it would never come. On other days, we couldn't wait for it to come. On some days, we prayed for time to stop and other days, we prayed with anticipation.

A flood of thoughts rushed my mind.

Is she ready?
Have we done enough?
Have we taught her enough?
What if this? What if that?

And I came home.
And I wept.
Forget my street cred.
I miss her. I love her.
She will always be my little baby.

Happy life. - Eugenius 3:16

I still remember that time, many years ago, when Minhee was pregnant with our first child. She had left her family and friends in Korea just two years before. Her morning sickness was horrible and when she finally had an appetite, she craved her favorite Korean food from certain restaurants in her neighborhood in Seoul, Korea. I had no way of getting that food from those restaurants so I actually said, "How about a Whopper? Big Mac?" Sorry honey. Eat away. You deserve it.