q cafe 2.0

copy-of-buildingcars.jpg

After a month of closing the Q Cafe to rest and re-examine our identity and purpose, we are very excited to re-open our doors today [redeem your coupon]. As we marked our 5 year anniversary recently, I am thankful for the many things we’ve accomplished over those years.  But, I’ve also learned how unsustainable it was to pursue all that we initially wanted to do.  In a sense, we wanted to change the world.  Now, we’re rebooting with the hope of simply being a great neighborhood cafe.  As I work with our newly forming Q Cafe Advisory Board, I’ve been trying to explain to our potential new customers that our identity is:

“Q Cafe is a neighborhood non-profit cafe featuring espresso and tea, art, live music, and community events.”

Through the generosity of several folks, we’ve also been able to do some remodeling to revitalize the space and presence.  Previously, our options were limited since we had to use the space for the cafe, live music, community center stuff, and church – all in 2500 square feet!  Now, that Quest is meeting next door in our “regular” church building, we can focus on creating a more beautiful cafe, art gallery, and music venue.   We think the changes – countertop tables for laptop users, two new desktops for customers [free internet], benches with outlets, some new furniture, a new kids/parents room, some new lighting, new art hanging system, etc. – will make the space much more useable and enjoyable.

And to top it off, we’ve forged a partnership with a new roaster – Stumptown Coffee.  I’ll share next week why after engaging in much research and conversation, we decided to partner with Stumptown.

We’ve got new artwork on the walls and Live Music shows will be taking place on the majority of Friday nights.  We would love to have you stop by try out the new coffee and space.  Here’s a coupon to encourage you to check us out.

Here are some images of the first five years and I honestly can’t wait to see what will unfold in the next five years.  I haven’t been this excited…well….umm…since we opened five years ago.

copy-of-coreys-pictures-050.jpg twellsatq3.jpg copy-of-_mg_0111.jpg lm6.jpg qhippop002.jpg _mg_4152.jpg nickelcreek3.jpg _c032454.jpg copy-of-_dsc0677.jpg

Filed under: , , , , ,

1. Pat says:

“If you build it, he will come”

It’s time for me to plan a coffee-fi workday! 🙂

2. BK says:

Congratulations to you and your staff. Good luck as you guys enter the next five year!

3. jihunpark says:

sweet sauce

4. johnc says:

speaking as someone who loves the tatse of good coffee, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with being a fantastic place to sip a cup of coffee (esp. stumptown) with a friend while admiring the artwork or music created by local artists. it’s what makes the nw such a special place. congrats on your 5th yr. anniv.!

5. chad says:

Eugene, i want to bring a group of high school students to worship at Quest when Crossing Borders happens in March. is there anyway we can stay at the church?

6. e cho says:

chad: shoot me an email directly. not sure if you’ve been inside our space but we really don’t have too much space but it depends on how many kids you got.

7. Wentina says:

Hi Pastor,

I just saw this article on our website and thought you and the other folks at Q Cafe might be interested in it. http://www.grist.org/advice/products/2008/01/22/index.html

Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. Thanks for your prayers.
I have numerous stories to share but for now, the following came up in every conversation with Iraqi/Syrian refugees:

1 Have tea with us. Or coffee. Or juice. Or something with lots of sugar in it. Or better yet, all of the above.
2 We want peace. We want security.
3 We hate ISIS.
4 We just want to go home.
5 Please don't forget us.

Please don't forget them... Father, please bless and protect these Iraqi and Syrian "refugee" children that have already endured so much. Protect their hearts and mind from unfathomable trauma. Plant seeds of hope and vision in their lives. And as we pray for them, teach us how to advocate for them. Amen. "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." -  local Iraqi priest whose church has welcomed many "relatives" to their church's property

It's always a privilege to be invited into peoples' home for tea - even if it's a temporary tent. This is an extended Yezidi family that fled the Mosul, Iraq area because of ISIS. It's indeed true that Christians were targeted by ISIS and thatbstory muat be shared but other minority groups like the Yezidis were also targeted. Some of their heartbreaking stories included the kidnapping of their sister. They shared that their father passed away shortly of a "broken heart." The conversation was emotional but afterwards, we asked each other for permission to take photos. Once the selfies came out, the real smiles came out.

So friends: Pray for Iraq. Pray for the persecuted Church. Pray for Christians, minority groups like the Yezidis who fear they will e completely wiped out in the Middle East,, and Muslims alike who are all suffering under ISIS. Friends: I'm traveling in the Middle East this week - Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. (Make sure you follow my pics/stories on IG stories). Specifically, I'm here representing @onedayswages to meet, learn, and listen to pastors, local leaders, NGOs, and of course directly from refugees from within these countries - including many from Syria.

For security purposes, I haven't been able to share at all but I'm now able to start sharing some photos and stories. For now, I'll be sharing numerous photos through my IG stories and will be sharing some longer written pieces in couple months when ODW launches another wave of partnerships to come alongside refugees in these areas. Four of us are traveling together also for the purpose of creating a short documentary that we hope to release early next year.

While I'm on my church sabbatical, it's truly a privilege to be able to come to these countries and to meet local pastors and indigenous leaders that tirelessly pursue peace and justice, and to hear directly from refugees. I've read so many various articles and pieces over the years and I thought I was prepared but it has been jarring, heartbreaking,  and gut wrenching. In the midst of such chaos, there's hope but there's also a lot of questions, too.

I hope you follow along as I share photos, stories, and help release this mini-documentary. Please tag friends that might be interested.

Please pray for safety, for empathy, for humility and integrity, for divine meetings. Pray that we listen well; To be present and not just be a consumer of these vulnerable stories. That's my biggest prayer.

Special thanks to @worldvisionusa and @worldrelief for hosting us on this journey. 9/11
Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.

Today, I had some gut wrenching and heart breaking conversations about war, violence, and peacemaking. Mostly, I listened. Never in my wildest imagination did I envision having these conversations on 9/11 of all days. I wish I could share more now but I hope to later after I process them for a few days.

But indeed: Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.
May it be so. Amen. Mount Rainier is simply epic. There's nothing like flying in and out of Seattle.

#mountrainier
#seattle
#northwestisbest

• Boom. Final fishing trip. Grateful. A nice way to end my 3 month sabbatical. #catchandrelease twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 20 hours ago
  • Christians: May we be guided by the Scriptures that remind us, "Seek first the Kingdom of God" and not, "Seek first the kingdom of America." || 21 hours ago
  • Every convo with Iraqi/Syrian refugees included: 1 Have tea with us 2 We want peace 3 We hate ISIS 4 We want to go home 5 Don't forget us || 3 days ago
  • Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan to assess @OneDaysWages' partnerships & to film mini-documentary on refugee crisis. So many emotions. || 3 days ago
  • Pray for Mexico. For those mourning loved ones. For those fighting for life - even under rubbles. For rescue workers. Lord, in your mercy. || 3 days ago
  • Don't underestimate what God can do through you. God has a very long history of using foolish and broken people for His purposes and glory. || 6 days ago