q cafe 2.0

copy-of-buildingcars.jpg

After a month of closing the Q Cafe to rest and re-examine our identity and purpose, we are very excited to re-open our doors today [redeem your coupon]. As we marked our 5 year anniversary recently, I am thankful for the many things we’ve accomplished over those years.  But, I’ve also learned how unsustainable it was to pursue all that we initially wanted to do.  In a sense, we wanted to change the world.  Now, we’re rebooting with the hope of simply being a great neighborhood cafe.  As I work with our newly forming Q Cafe Advisory Board, I’ve been trying to explain to our potential new customers that our identity is:

“Q Cafe is a neighborhood non-profit cafe featuring espresso and tea, art, live music, and community events.”

Through the generosity of several folks, we’ve also been able to do some remodeling to revitalize the space and presence.  Previously, our options were limited since we had to use the space for the cafe, live music, community center stuff, and church – all in 2500 square feet!  Now, that Quest is meeting next door in our “regular” church building, we can focus on creating a more beautiful cafe, art gallery, and music venue.   We think the changes – countertop tables for laptop users, two new desktops for customers [free internet], benches with outlets, some new furniture, a new kids/parents room, some new lighting, new art hanging system, etc. – will make the space much more useable and enjoyable.

And to top it off, we’ve forged a partnership with a new roaster – Stumptown Coffee.  I’ll share next week why after engaging in much research and conversation, we decided to partner with Stumptown.

We’ve got new artwork on the walls and Live Music shows will be taking place on the majority of Friday nights.  We would love to have you stop by try out the new coffee and space.  Here’s a coupon to encourage you to check us out.

Here are some images of the first five years and I honestly can’t wait to see what will unfold in the next five years.  I haven’t been this excited…well….umm…since we opened five years ago.

copy-of-coreys-pictures-050.jpg twellsatq3.jpg copy-of-_mg_0111.jpg lm6.jpg qhippop002.jpg _mg_4152.jpg nickelcreek3.jpg _c032454.jpg copy-of-_dsc0677.jpg

Filed under: , , , , ,

1. Pat says:

“If you build it, he will come”

It’s time for me to plan a coffee-fi workday! 🙂

2. BK says:

Congratulations to you and your staff. Good luck as you guys enter the next five year!

3. jihunpark says:

sweet sauce

4. johnc says:

speaking as someone who loves the tatse of good coffee, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with being a fantastic place to sip a cup of coffee (esp. stumptown) with a friend while admiring the artwork or music created by local artists. it’s what makes the nw such a special place. congrats on your 5th yr. anniv.!

5. chad says:

Eugene, i want to bring a group of high school students to worship at Quest when Crossing Borders happens in March. is there anyway we can stay at the church?

6. e cho says:

chad: shoot me an email directly. not sure if you’ve been inside our space but we really don’t have too much space but it depends on how many kids you got.

7. Wentina says:

Hi Pastor,

I just saw this article on our website and thought you and the other folks at Q Cafe might be interested in it. http://www.grist.org/advice/products/2008/01/22/index.html

Window seat. For the win. As leaders, we must not see ministry and family as competing commitments.  We must not sacrifice our marriage and kids for the sake of "ministry." How can we? Loving our families IS ministry & good leadership.

And on a side note, we took this goofy photo for Mother's Day last Sunday at @seattlequest. I was shocked! What in the world happened to our kids? Our 13 year old son blocked four of my shots on the basketball court yesterday. He's since been grounded... I fear that we ask God to move mountains, forgetting that God also wants to move us.

In fact, it's possible that we are that mountain. Time flies. The eldest is wrapping up her 1st year in college and the college tours have begun for the 2nd child. The youngest enters high school in the Fall. Can't say enough about how proud Minhee and I are of the kids - not just of their accomplishments but the people they are and are becoming.

But...man...we can't wait to party it up when we're emptynesters. Party at our house. It's going to be epic. Humbled. Grateful. Mindful of God's grace and faithfulness in my life. It's all grace... It's an unexpected honor to be invited back - even with some mini-drama - to @princetonseminary to receive the 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award - exactly 25 years after starting my journey there as a student in 1992. Wow.

Princeton isn't necessarily for everyone. And to say that I loved everything about my experience would be misleading but it was very formative. Ir challenged me to examine why I believed in what I believed. It reminded me that God could handle my questions. It prepared me for a post-Christian context where I am not entitled to be heard but I had to earn the right to be heard, and of course, it taught me that all is good with a Philly cheese steak at Hoagie Haven.

No one is an island to themselves and I am certainly an example of that. Many people - women and men, young and old, and of many backgrounds - prayed, encouraged, mentored, and loved me along the way. Grateful for my professors at seminary, my many classmates, and the numerous fellow staff and co-laborers I've had the privilege of serving Christ with past and present. And of course, I'm forever inspired by my parents, my children, and my wife, Minhee. Thank you for your faith, hope, and love...and oh, for your patience. Only your family will know and see both the best and worst of you. They've seen my worst...and keep on believing in me.

Thank you again, PTS and President Barnes, for this honor. Then, today, and tomorrow...by God's grace, just striving to be faithful to my Lord and Savior...to preach and live out the convictions of the whole Gospel. Amen. So humbled and grateful to be with @catalystleader in Cincinnati to encourage leaders from all around the country about the invitation to Uncommon Fellowship.

Preached from John 4. We can talk, preach, sing, philsophize, liturgize, and spit rhymes about Samaria...but we still have to talk through Samaria.

• Heartbroken. Praying for Manchester & the UK. For those mourning loved ones. For those injured and fighting for life. Lord, in your mercy. || 10 hours ago
  • Window seat. For the win. https://t.co/yG66Sm2bvu || 2 days ago
  • As leaders, we must not sacrifice our family for the sake of ministry because loving our family IS good leadership: instagram.com/p/BUVAGVwg-5z/ || 2 days ago
  • We long for a Gospel that comforts but resist the Gospel that disrupts. Having the former without the latter seduces us into complacency. || 2 days ago
  • Love wins in the end but in the meanwhile,it fights for things that matter. Love isn't sentimental. It's both gentle & fierce. Love endures. || 3 days ago
  • This is what we love to do. Empowering local, indigenous leaders to serve their own communities. Thanks for your su… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 3 days ago