a dream bigger than one man

Today is Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.  Hoping to see many of you at your local MLK march and/or event – whether you are from the city or the suburbs; Asians, African-Americans, Anglos, Hispanics…it really doesn’t matter.  Honoring his legacy is a decision to honor a dream bigger than one man, a dream bigger than one race.  It’s a decision to recommit ourselves to the shalom that God intended for His creation.  It’s God’s dream which is why it didn’t die when MLK was assassinated.  And while it’s a dream that will never be completely fulfilled with our own doing but nevertheless, one that we must pursue “on earth as it is in heaven.”  So, put your jackets, gloves, hats, and scarves and join others at Seattle’s 26th Annual MLK March & Rally – one of the biggest in the nation.

If you’re interested, a growing group of us from Quest will be meeting at Franklin High School at 10:45AM for the rally, followed by the march which begins at 12PM.  There are numerous events going on locally here in Seattle and our children may go to the functions at the Seattle Center.

Dr. King was not a perfect man.  Far from it but he was a great man as he pursued to live out his definition of greatness:  a servant of others.  While many are familiar with his more well known speeches such as “I Have a Dream,” the one that I’m particularly drawn to this year is his last “speech” – delivered the day before his assassination.

“I just want to do God’s will…as a people, we will get to the promised land…I’m not fearing any man as mine eyes have seen the coming of the Lord.”

On MLK’s birthday today, may we acknowledge and celebrate this amazing dreamer but also acknowledge the giver of such dreams…and dare to dream as well.

Filed under: religion, , ,

1. Randall says:

I just ran across this quote recently but it’s the kind of writing that makes half of me want to give up as a writer (thinking I’ll never be good enough) and the other half want to devote myself that much more diligently to the craft (because words can change the world).

“When our days become dreary with low hovering clouds of despair, and when our nights become darker than a thousand midnights, let us remember that there is a creative force in this universe, working to pull down the gigantic mountains of evil, a power that is able to make a way out of no way and transform dark yesterdays into bright tomorrows. Let us realize the arc of the moral universe is long but it bends toward justice.” – Martin Luther King

That last sentence is poetry of the highest order.

2. Jeff Lam says:

nice randall… that is poetry of the highest order.

3. marie says:

Thank you for sharing this! 😀

4. gar says:

“Let us realize the arc of the moral universe is long but it bends toward justice.”

Beautiful words, indeed.

5. Pat says:

I’ve been twittering some of my favorite MLK quotes today. I don’t remember this one Randall, but it’s majestic.

I discovered MLK in college, and have read him for a couple of decades now. I also visited Selma, Alabama once, and had a formative experience there when a truck full of rednecks yelled and threw bottles at me just for reading a sign about the Voting Rights March at the Selma bridge (the march ended in Montgomery). As a white boy who grew up in Montana, this was the first time I’d experienced anything like that. I’m glad it happened.

6. Daniel says:

Well, Eugene, not to kiss your butt but I really liked this quote today from your entry:

“may we acknowledge and celebrate this amazing dreamer but also acknowledge the giver of such dreams…and dare to dream as well.”

Window seat. For the win. As leaders, we must not see ministry and family as competing commitments.  We must not sacrifice our marriage and kids for the sake of "ministry." How can we? Loving our families IS ministry & good leadership.

And on a side note, we took this goofy photo for Mother's Day last Sunday at @seattlequest. I was shocked! What in the world happened to our kids? Our 13 year old son blocked four of my shots on the basketball court yesterday. He's since been grounded... I fear that we ask God to move mountains, forgetting that God also wants to move us.

In fact, it's possible that we are that mountain. Time flies. The eldest is wrapping up her 1st year in college and the college tours have begun for the 2nd child. The youngest enters high school in the Fall. Can't say enough about how proud Minhee and I are of the kids - not just of their accomplishments but the people they are and are becoming.

But...man...we can't wait to party it up when we're emptynesters. Party at our house. It's going to be epic. Humbled. Grateful. Mindful of God's grace and faithfulness in my life. It's all grace... It's an unexpected honor to be invited back - even with some mini-drama - to @princetonseminary to receive the 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award - exactly 25 years after starting my journey there as a student in 1992. Wow.

Princeton isn't necessarily for everyone. And to say that I loved everything about my experience would be misleading but it was very formative. Ir challenged me to examine why I believed in what I believed. It reminded me that God could handle my questions. It prepared me for a post-Christian context where I am not entitled to be heard but I had to earn the right to be heard, and of course, it taught me that all is good with a Philly cheese steak at Hoagie Haven.

No one is an island to themselves and I am certainly an example of that. Many people - women and men, young and old, and of many backgrounds - prayed, encouraged, mentored, and loved me along the way. Grateful for my professors at seminary, my many classmates, and the numerous fellow staff and co-laborers I've had the privilege of serving Christ with past and present. And of course, I'm forever inspired by my parents, my children, and my wife, Minhee. Thank you for your faith, hope, and love...and oh, for your patience. Only your family will know and see both the best and worst of you. They've seen my worst...and keep on believing in me.

Thank you again, PTS and President Barnes, for this honor. Then, today, and tomorrow...by God's grace, just striving to be faithful to my Lord and Savior...to preach and live out the convictions of the whole Gospel. Amen. So humbled and grateful to be with @catalystleader in Cincinnati to encourage leaders from all around the country about the invitation to Uncommon Fellowship.

Preached from John 4. We can talk, preach, sing, philsophize, liturgize, and spit rhymes about Samaria...but we still have to talk through Samaria.

• "They got money for wars but can't feed the poor." ~ Tupac #trumpbudget || 18 hours ago
  • Heartbroken. Praying for Manchester & the UK. For those mourning loved ones. For those injured and fighting for life. Lord, in your mercy. || 2 days ago
  • Window seat. For the win. https://t.co/yG66Sm2bvu || 4 days ago
  • As leaders, we must not sacrifice our family for the sake of ministry because loving our family IS good leadership: instagram.com/p/BUVAGVwg-5z/ || 4 days ago
  • We long for a Gospel that comforts but resist the Gospel that disrupts. Having the former without the latter seduces us into complacency. || 4 days ago
  • Love wins in the end but in the meanwhile,it fights for things that matter. Love isn't sentimental. It's both gentle & fierce. Love endures. || 5 days ago