a dream bigger than one man

Today is Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.  Hoping to see many of you at your local MLK march and/or event – whether you are from the city or the suburbs; Asians, African-Americans, Anglos, Hispanics…it really doesn’t matter.  Honoring his legacy is a decision to honor a dream bigger than one man, a dream bigger than one race.  It’s a decision to recommit ourselves to the shalom that God intended for His creation.  It’s God’s dream which is why it didn’t die when MLK was assassinated.  And while it’s a dream that will never be completely fulfilled with our own doing but nevertheless, one that we must pursue “on earth as it is in heaven.”  So, put your jackets, gloves, hats, and scarves and join others at Seattle’s 26th Annual MLK March & Rally – one of the biggest in the nation.

If you’re interested, a growing group of us from Quest will be meeting at Franklin High School at 10:45AM for the rally, followed by the march which begins at 12PM.  There are numerous events going on locally here in Seattle and our children may go to the functions at the Seattle Center.

Dr. King was not a perfect man.  Far from it but he was a great man as he pursued to live out his definition of greatness:  a servant of others.  While many are familiar with his more well known speeches such as “I Have a Dream,” the one that I’m particularly drawn to this year is his last “speech” – delivered the day before his assassination.

“I just want to do God’s will…as a people, we will get to the promised land…I’m not fearing any man as mine eyes have seen the coming of the Lord.”

On MLK’s birthday today, may we acknowledge and celebrate this amazing dreamer but also acknowledge the giver of such dreams…and dare to dream as well.

Filed under: religion, , ,

1. Randall says:

I just ran across this quote recently but it’s the kind of writing that makes half of me want to give up as a writer (thinking I’ll never be good enough) and the other half want to devote myself that much more diligently to the craft (because words can change the world).

“When our days become dreary with low hovering clouds of despair, and when our nights become darker than a thousand midnights, let us remember that there is a creative force in this universe, working to pull down the gigantic mountains of evil, a power that is able to make a way out of no way and transform dark yesterdays into bright tomorrows. Let us realize the arc of the moral universe is long but it bends toward justice.” – Martin Luther King

That last sentence is poetry of the highest order.

2. Jeff Lam says:

nice randall… that is poetry of the highest order.

3. marie says:

Thank you for sharing this! 😀

4. gar says:

“Let us realize the arc of the moral universe is long but it bends toward justice.”

Beautiful words, indeed.

5. Pat says:

I’ve been twittering some of my favorite MLK quotes today. I don’t remember this one Randall, but it’s majestic.

I discovered MLK in college, and have read him for a couple of decades now. I also visited Selma, Alabama once, and had a formative experience there when a truck full of rednecks yelled and threw bottles at me just for reading a sign about the Voting Rights March at the Selma bridge (the march ended in Montgomery). As a white boy who grew up in Montana, this was the first time I’d experienced anything like that. I’m glad it happened.

6. Daniel says:

Well, Eugene, not to kiss your butt but I really liked this quote today from your entry:

“may we acknowledge and celebrate this amazing dreamer but also acknowledge the giver of such dreams…and dare to dream as well.”

Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. Thanks for your prayers.
I have numerous stories to share but for now, the following came up in every conversation with Iraqi/Syrian refugees:

1 Have tea with us. Or coffee. Or juice. Or something with lots of sugar in it. Or better yet, all of the above.
2 We want peace. We want security.
3 We hate ISIS.
4 We just want to go home.
5 Please don't forget us.

Please don't forget them... Father, please bless and protect these Iraqi and Syrian "refugee" children that have already endured so much. Protect their hearts and mind from unfathomable trauma. Plant seeds of hope and vision in their lives. And as we pray for them, teach us how to advocate for them. Amen. "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." -  local Iraqi priest whose church has welcomed many "relatives" to their church's property

It's always a privilege to be invited into peoples' home for tea - even if it's a temporary tent. This is an extended Yezidi family that fled the Mosul, Iraq area because of ISIS. It's indeed true that Christians were targeted by ISIS and thatbstory muat be shared but other minority groups like the Yezidis were also targeted. Some of their heartbreaking stories included the kidnapping of their sister. They shared that their father passed away shortly of a "broken heart." The conversation was emotional but afterwards, we asked each other for permission to take photos. Once the selfies came out, the real smiles came out.

So friends: Pray for Iraq. Pray for the persecuted Church. Pray for Christians, minority groups like the Yezidis who fear they will e completely wiped out in the Middle East,, and Muslims alike who are all suffering under ISIS. Friends: I'm traveling in the Middle East this week - Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. (Make sure you follow my pics/stories on IG stories). Specifically, I'm here representing @onedayswages to meet, learn, and listen to pastors, local leaders, NGOs, and of course directly from refugees from within these countries - including many from Syria.

For security purposes, I haven't been able to share at all but I'm now able to start sharing some photos and stories. For now, I'll be sharing numerous photos through my IG stories and will be sharing some longer written pieces in couple months when ODW launches another wave of partnerships to come alongside refugees in these areas. Four of us are traveling together also for the purpose of creating a short documentary that we hope to release early next year.

While I'm on my church sabbatical, it's truly a privilege to be able to come to these countries and to meet local pastors and indigenous leaders that tirelessly pursue peace and justice, and to hear directly from refugees. I've read so many various articles and pieces over the years and I thought I was prepared but it has been jarring, heartbreaking,  and gut wrenching. In the midst of such chaos, there's hope but there's also a lot of questions, too.

I hope you follow along as I share photos, stories, and help release this mini-documentary. Please tag friends that might be interested.

Please pray for safety, for empathy, for humility and integrity, for divine meetings. Pray that we listen well; To be present and not just be a consumer of these vulnerable stories. That's my biggest prayer.

Special thanks to @worldvisionusa and @worldrelief for hosting us on this journey. 9/11
Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.

Today, I had some gut wrenching and heart breaking conversations about war, violence, and peacemaking. Mostly, I listened. Never in my wildest imagination did I envision having these conversations on 9/11 of all days. I wish I could share more now but I hope to later after I process them for a few days.

But indeed: Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.
May it be so. Amen. Mount Rainier is simply epic. There's nothing like flying in and out of Seattle.

#mountrainier
#seattle
#northwestisbest

• Every convo with Iraqi/Syrian refugees included: 1 Have tea with us 2 We want peace 3 We hate ISIS 4 We want to go home 5 Don't forget us || 2 days ago
  • Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan to assess @OneDaysWages' partnerships & to film mini-documentary on refugee crisis. So many emotions. || 2 days ago
  • Pray for Mexico. For those mourning loved ones. For those fighting for life - even under rubbles. For rescue workers. Lord, in your mercy. || 2 days ago
  • Don't underestimate what God can do through you. God has a very long history of using foolish and broken people for His purposes and glory. || 5 days ago
  • Father, bless these Iraqi and Syrian refugee children that have already endured so much. As we pray, teach us how t… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 6 days ago
  • Pray for Iraq. Pray for persecuted Church, minority groups (Yezidis) and Muslims alike who are suffering under ISIS: instagram.com/p/BZF2j6Ngrna/ || 6 days ago