a dream bigger than one man

Today is Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.  Hoping to see many of you at your local MLK march and/or event – whether you are from the city or the suburbs; Asians, African-Americans, Anglos, Hispanics…it really doesn’t matter.  Honoring his legacy is a decision to honor a dream bigger than one man, a dream bigger than one race.  It’s a decision to recommit ourselves to the shalom that God intended for His creation.  It’s God’s dream which is why it didn’t die when MLK was assassinated.  And while it’s a dream that will never be completely fulfilled with our own doing but nevertheless, one that we must pursue “on earth as it is in heaven.”  So, put your jackets, gloves, hats, and scarves and join others at Seattle’s 26th Annual MLK March & Rally – one of the biggest in the nation.

If you’re interested, a growing group of us from Quest will be meeting at Franklin High School at 10:45AM for the rally, followed by the march which begins at 12PM.  There are numerous events going on locally here in Seattle and our children may go to the functions at the Seattle Center.

Dr. King was not a perfect man.  Far from it but he was a great man as he pursued to live out his definition of greatness:  a servant of others.  While many are familiar with his more well known speeches such as “I Have a Dream,” the one that I’m particularly drawn to this year is his last “speech” – delivered the day before his assassination.

“I just want to do God’s will…as a people, we will get to the promised land…I’m not fearing any man as mine eyes have seen the coming of the Lord.”

On MLK’s birthday today, may we acknowledge and celebrate this amazing dreamer but also acknowledge the giver of such dreams…and dare to dream as well.

Filed under: religion, , ,

1. Randall says:

I just ran across this quote recently but it’s the kind of writing that makes half of me want to give up as a writer (thinking I’ll never be good enough) and the other half want to devote myself that much more diligently to the craft (because words can change the world).

“When our days become dreary with low hovering clouds of despair, and when our nights become darker than a thousand midnights, let us remember that there is a creative force in this universe, working to pull down the gigantic mountains of evil, a power that is able to make a way out of no way and transform dark yesterdays into bright tomorrows. Let us realize the arc of the moral universe is long but it bends toward justice.” – Martin Luther King

That last sentence is poetry of the highest order.

2. Jeff Lam says:

nice randall… that is poetry of the highest order.

3. marie says:

Thank you for sharing this! 😀

4. gar says:

“Let us realize the arc of the moral universe is long but it bends toward justice.”

Beautiful words, indeed.

5. Pat says:

I’ve been twittering some of my favorite MLK quotes today. I don’t remember this one Randall, but it’s majestic.

I discovered MLK in college, and have read him for a couple of decades now. I also visited Selma, Alabama once, and had a formative experience there when a truck full of rednecks yelled and threw bottles at me just for reading a sign about the Voting Rights March at the Selma bridge (the march ended in Montgomery). As a white boy who grew up in Montana, this was the first time I’d experienced anything like that. I’m glad it happened.

6. Daniel says:

Well, Eugene, not to kiss your butt but I really liked this quote today from your entry:

“may we acknowledge and celebrate this amazing dreamer but also acknowledge the giver of such dreams…and dare to dream as well.”

Preach the Gospel at all times and sometimes...use signs.

Really loved this sign from one of our church congregants at the women's march.

Counter cultural. Subversive.
Life giving. Good news. To support both the equality of women and the dignity of the unborn feels like a very lonely place to be but I know we're not alone. May we press on. And may we lead with hope.

I'm at the Women's March in Seattle to show my solidarity with my wife, my mothers, my daughters, and the female congregants of my church. I'm also here to model for my son what we believe in our home. Many people have already expressed their disappointment, dismay, and disgust with my decision. Such is life. We will always disappoint someone. And that's also a lot of words that begin with "d." I'm here not because I agree or disagree with every single statement or sign at this march (although I really liked this one) but because as a Christian, I believe in the fundamental truth that women are fearfully and wonderfully made in the image of God. They are to be valued, heard, and respected.

And because I believe we can't be a flourishing society without the flourishing of women. And because the Church cannot be the Church without the gifts and voices of women. All the gifts of women.

And in doing so, may we together honor the sanctity of life - from womb to tomb. Collaboration.

col·lab·o·ra·tion
kəˌlabəˈrāSH(ə)n/
noun

the action of working with someone or a group of others  to produce or create something.

May we hold our logos, egos, and tribalism have their place. May we hold them loosely for they too shall pass. May we collaborate for the sake of the greater Kingdom of God ... which endures forever. As we honor Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., don't forget the God behind the man. The one true God who deposited this dream into MLK is still speaking to us today. Are we listening?

Be courageous. Be brave.

Being invited by the King Family to speak at the MLK worship service at Ebenezer Baptist Church in 2016 remains one of the most unexpected honors of my life. On the right is his daughter, Dr. Bernice King and his sister, Dr. Christine King Farris. Walking throughstreet markets in different parts of the world is the best. Soaking in the culture. Listening to the local language and music. Enjoying the amazing cuisine. Meeting new friends. Praying for the Gospel to penetrate. #ChiangRai Blessed be the local, indigenous leaders for it is they who live in the very communities they seek to love. For it is they who understand their context and culture...better than a Westerner ever will. For it is they who will continue to tenaciously pursue a better world with hope, justice and love when visitors like me leave.

Yes, blessed be the local, indigenous leaders.

• Preach the Gospel at all times and sometimes...use signs. Countercultural. Subversive. Life giving. Truth. - instagram.com/p/BPlwJneBSiW/ || 4 hours ago
  • Really loved this sign from the women's march from one of our church congregants. Counter cultural. Subversive. L… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 1 day ago
  • To support both the equality of women & the dignity of the unborn can be lonely but we're not alone. Lead with hope: instagram.com/p/BPjMGTOhMjL/ || 1 day ago
  • To support both the equality of women & the dignity of the unborn feels like a very lonely place to be but we're not alone. May we press on. || 1 day ago
  • Going to the Women's March in Seattle bc as a Christian, I believe women are fearfully and wonderfully made and are to be heard & respected. || 1 day ago
  • Christians: May we be guided by the Scriptures that remind us, "Seek first the Kingdom of God" and not, "Seek first the kingdom of America." || 1 day ago