a dream bigger than one man

Today is Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.  Hoping to see many of you at your local MLK march and/or event – whether you are from the city or the suburbs; Asians, African-Americans, Anglos, Hispanics…it really doesn’t matter.  Honoring his legacy is a decision to honor a dream bigger than one man, a dream bigger than one race.  It’s a decision to recommit ourselves to the shalom that God intended for His creation.  It’s God’s dream which is why it didn’t die when MLK was assassinated.  And while it’s a dream that will never be completely fulfilled with our own doing but nevertheless, one that we must pursue “on earth as it is in heaven.”  So, put your jackets, gloves, hats, and scarves and join others at Seattle’s 26th Annual MLK March & Rally – one of the biggest in the nation.

If you’re interested, a growing group of us from Quest will be meeting at Franklin High School at 10:45AM for the rally, followed by the march which begins at 12PM.  There are numerous events going on locally here in Seattle and our children may go to the functions at the Seattle Center.

Dr. King was not a perfect man.  Far from it but he was a great man as he pursued to live out his definition of greatness:  a servant of others.  While many are familiar with his more well known speeches such as “I Have a Dream,” the one that I’m particularly drawn to this year is his last “speech” – delivered the day before his assassination.

“I just want to do God’s will…as a people, we will get to the promised land…I’m not fearing any man as mine eyes have seen the coming of the Lord.”

On MLK’s birthday today, may we acknowledge and celebrate this amazing dreamer but also acknowledge the giver of such dreams…and dare to dream as well.

Filed under: religion, , ,

1. Randall says:

I just ran across this quote recently but it’s the kind of writing that makes half of me want to give up as a writer (thinking I’ll never be good enough) and the other half want to devote myself that much more diligently to the craft (because words can change the world).

“When our days become dreary with low hovering clouds of despair, and when our nights become darker than a thousand midnights, let us remember that there is a creative force in this universe, working to pull down the gigantic mountains of evil, a power that is able to make a way out of no way and transform dark yesterdays into bright tomorrows. Let us realize the arc of the moral universe is long but it bends toward justice.” – Martin Luther King

That last sentence is poetry of the highest order.

2. Jeff Lam says:

nice randall… that is poetry of the highest order.

3. marie says:

Thank you for sharing this!😀

4. gar says:

“Let us realize the arc of the moral universe is long but it bends toward justice.”

Beautiful words, indeed.

5. Pat says:

I’ve been twittering some of my favorite MLK quotes today. I don’t remember this one Randall, but it’s majestic.

I discovered MLK in college, and have read him for a couple of decades now. I also visited Selma, Alabama once, and had a formative experience there when a truck full of rednecks yelled and threw bottles at me just for reading a sign about the Voting Rights March at the Selma bridge (the march ended in Montgomery). As a white boy who grew up in Montana, this was the first time I’d experienced anything like that. I’m glad it happened.

6. Daniel says:

Well, Eugene, not to kiss your butt but I really liked this quote today from your entry:

“may we acknowledge and celebrate this amazing dreamer but also acknowledge the giver of such dreams…and dare to dream as well.”

Grateful for a very full weekend of ministry and preaching in Toronto, Canada (GTA). Such a privilege to partner with @worldvisioncan @wvcollective to advocate for the most vulnerable around the world. God is so gracious. A true honor to meet and encourage local pastors, lecture at Tyndale University & Seminary (photo), and preach at Richmond Hills Community Church, Compass Point Bible Church, and New City Church. Thank you, Lord, that you use broken and imperfect people like me to speak of Your love. Today, Minhee and I dropped off our eldest child at her college. We have been thinking and praying about this day for many years. On some days, we hoped it would never come. On other days, we couldn't wait for it to come. On some days, we prayed for time to stop and other days, we prayed with anticipation.

A flood of thoughts rushed my mind.

Is she ready?
Have we done enough?
Have we taught her enough?
What if this? What if that?

And I came home.
And I wept.
Forget my street cred.
I miss her. I love her.
She will always be my little baby.

Happy life. - Eugenius 3:16

I still remember that time, many years ago, when Minhee was pregnant with our first child. She had left her family and friends in Korea just two years before. Her morning sickness was horrible and when she finally had an appetite, she craved her favorite Korean food from certain restaurants in her neighborhood in Seoul, Korea. I had no way of getting that food from those restaurants so I actually said, "How about a Whopper? Big Mac?" Sorry honey. Eat away. You deserve it. I don't care if it sounds mushy but sunsets are one of my love languages. Seoul, Korea was amazing but WOW...what a breathtaking welcome back sunset by Seattle. Not ready to let go of summer. Seattle. 7:00pm. Desperately holding on to summer. #goldengardenpark #nofilter