the barista champion

Last week, I was bored and wrote a short post asking people’s feedback about  Zoka’s or Stumptown Coffee as we change coffee roasters for Q Cafe 2.0.  I was lookingn for a few responses but the comments kinda went crazy.  I guess it speaks to the fact that people many people feel strongly about coffee and that Seattle/Northwest truly is the coffee capital of the world.  That or people in the Northwest really are coffee snobs.

One of the posters was someone named Dismas Smith and he also gave his opinion.  He later emailed and invited me to visit him at his cafe in Fremont, Seattle.  Initially, I didn’t even consider it because it seemed sort of random and well, I have a fear of the occasional blogger stalker…

Well, little did I know that Dismas Smith happens to be a superstar in the coffee industry world.  Why?  He was the 2002 North America Barista Champion!  He’s a legend here in Seattle…

Long story short, I trekked my wake to Dismas’ new coffee shop called Stickman Cafe.  He was generous enough to make me a complimentary champion caliber vanilla latte with smooth foam and beautiful artwork.  We had a chance to chat a little and he offered some great advice as we re:boot Q Cafe 2.0.  Thanks Dismas.  I really appreciate it.

If you’re in that part of Seattle, please visit his cafe – for your sake.  You’re really in for a treat.  It’s right next to the Lenin statue in Fremont [For those outside of Seattle…Yes, that Lenin].  Let him know that I sent you…

And for those who are wondering which coffee roaster we’ve chosen to go with…we’ve decided to just go with Folgers.  [NOTE:  This is a joke.  Please don’t freak out.]

folgers.jpg

Filed under: , ,

1. timiekley says:

depressing… Very depressing.

2. chrismarlow says:

dude I’m so jealous. the fruits of blogging 🙂

3. Nathan says:

Why not Sanka? Just curious.

4. Pat says:

My grandma will LOVE Q Cafe 2.0 😉

5. Jeremy says:

I think Stickman would be a good choice… still supporting local. I would like to say my comment on the earlier thread about Stickman and Dismas put you together (would feed my coffee geek ego), but I know that’s pushing it.

I talked with the owner of Zoka’s the other day and told him about your thread. You may get a visit from him as well :). I think you should hold an open competition just to keep the thread alive… but you obvious choice of Folgers has closed the argument I suppose.

It’s gotta feel nice to be loved :).

6. e cho says:

tim: sorry man. the folger’s thing was a joke. we’ve pushed back our open date to the 22nd so that we can visit the local roasters, talk to the owners, and do our due diligence. i would have contacted you but we made up our mind early that we wanted to stay local with folks that could respond to situations within an hour.

7. e cho says:

jeremy: we had a good chat with nathan from zoka’s and also folks from stumptown. many are correct: i think when you get to a certan level of espresso, “great” will be subjective. you really can’t go wrong with either one. but we’re wanting to see what would be the best partnership. if the owner of zoka’s has time to chat with us, that’ll be great. we’re making our decision at the latest by next tuesday.

8. chad says:

maxwell house….it has that, “tastes like it’s been sitting lukewarm in the pot for a week,” taste….

9. Ben says:

i finally had a doppio espresso at stumptown today – for sure the best espresso i’ve had in seattle period. much better than zokas. better than even vivace.

i’ll have to visit stickman cafe.

10. timiekley says:

Its all good man. Glad you aren’t selling out for folgers… I have to admit I was a little bewildered when I saw it… Thanks for all your posts – I am a faithful reader!

11. timiekley says:

P.S. – You know my pastor (Todd Hiestand) – He is an alright guy…

12. Andy says:

Eugene,

I think you initially scared ALOT of people with your weird humor by posting the Folgers thing. I wasn’t sure as well.

#notetoself (and maybe helpful for someone else)

At times, we have to say ‘NO’ to good things to say ‘YES’ to the most important things.

We can't do it all.
Pray and choose wisely.
Then invest deeply. May our compassion not just be limited to the West or to those that look like us. Lifting up the people of Iraq, Iran, and Kurdistan in prayer after the 7.3 earthquake - including the many new friends I met on a recent trip to Iraq.

The death toll rises to over 400 and over 7,000 injured in multiple cities and hundreds of villages along the Western border with Iraq.

Lord, in your mercy... We are reminded again and again...that we are Resurrection People living in a Dark Friday world.

It's been a tough, emotional, and painful week - especially as we lament the horrible tragedy of the church shootings at Sutherland Springs. In the midst of this lament, I've been carried by the hope, beauty, and promise of our baptisms last Sunday and the raw and honest testimonies of God's mercy, love, and grace.

Indeed, God is not yet done. May we take heart for Christ has overcome the world. "Without genuine relationships with the poor, we rob them of their dignity and they become mere projects. And God did not intend for anyone to become our projects." Grateful this quote from my book, Overrated, is resonating with so many folks - individuals and  NGOs. / design by @preemptivelove .
May we keep working
on ourselves
even as we seek
to change the world.
To be about the latter
without the former
is the great temptation
of our times. Minhee and I are filled with gratitude as we reflect on the @onedayswages gala last night. So many friends and guests came to support our work...and of course, our scrappy staff, interns, and board. In 8 years, we've impacted 561,000 people around the world that are living in extreme poverty and vulnerable situations. This year, we are expecting to have our largest investment of grants at $1.3 million! Over the next couple weeks, I'm going to share some of those stories of impact.

But we need your help to keep growing this work. Because our pledge is for 100% of all donations to go directly to our partnerships, we're asking folks from around the world to consider becoming one of core supporters by simply pledging $25/month to support our operations. Go to give.onedayswages.org for more info.

photo: @vinylee