the barista champion

Last week, I was bored and wrote a short post asking people’s feedback about  Zoka’s or Stumptown Coffee as we change coffee roasters for Q Cafe 2.0.  I was lookingn for a few responses but the comments kinda went crazy.  I guess it speaks to the fact that people many people feel strongly about coffee and that Seattle/Northwest truly is the coffee capital of the world.  That or people in the Northwest really are coffee snobs.

One of the posters was someone named Dismas Smith and he also gave his opinion.  He later emailed and invited me to visit him at his cafe in Fremont, Seattle.  Initially, I didn’t even consider it because it seemed sort of random and well, I have a fear of the occasional blogger stalker…

Well, little did I know that Dismas Smith happens to be a superstar in the coffee industry world.  Why?  He was the 2002 North America Barista Champion!  He’s a legend here in Seattle…

Long story short, I trekked my wake to Dismas’ new coffee shop called Stickman Cafe.  He was generous enough to make me a complimentary champion caliber vanilla latte with smooth foam and beautiful artwork.  We had a chance to chat a little and he offered some great advice as we re:boot Q Cafe 2.0.  Thanks Dismas.  I really appreciate it.

If you’re in that part of Seattle, please visit his cafe – for your sake.  You’re really in for a treat.  It’s right next to the Lenin statue in Fremont [For those outside of Seattle…Yes, that Lenin].  Let him know that I sent you…

And for those who are wondering which coffee roaster we’ve chosen to go with…we’ve decided to just go with Folgers.  [NOTE:  This is a joke.  Please don’t freak out.]

folgers.jpg

Filed under: , ,

1. timiekley says:

depressing… Very depressing.

2. chrismarlow says:

dude I’m so jealous. the fruits of blogging 🙂

3. Nathan says:

Why not Sanka? Just curious.

4. Pat says:

My grandma will LOVE Q Cafe 2.0 😉

5. Jeremy says:

I think Stickman would be a good choice… still supporting local. I would like to say my comment on the earlier thread about Stickman and Dismas put you together (would feed my coffee geek ego), but I know that’s pushing it.

I talked with the owner of Zoka’s the other day and told him about your thread. You may get a visit from him as well :). I think you should hold an open competition just to keep the thread alive… but you obvious choice of Folgers has closed the argument I suppose.

It’s gotta feel nice to be loved :).

6. e cho says:

tim: sorry man. the folger’s thing was a joke. we’ve pushed back our open date to the 22nd so that we can visit the local roasters, talk to the owners, and do our due diligence. i would have contacted you but we made up our mind early that we wanted to stay local with folks that could respond to situations within an hour.

7. e cho says:

jeremy: we had a good chat with nathan from zoka’s and also folks from stumptown. many are correct: i think when you get to a certan level of espresso, “great” will be subjective. you really can’t go wrong with either one. but we’re wanting to see what would be the best partnership. if the owner of zoka’s has time to chat with us, that’ll be great. we’re making our decision at the latest by next tuesday.

8. chad says:

maxwell house….it has that, “tastes like it’s been sitting lukewarm in the pot for a week,” taste….

9. Ben says:

i finally had a doppio espresso at stumptown today – for sure the best espresso i’ve had in seattle period. much better than zokas. better than even vivace.

i’ll have to visit stickman cafe.

10. timiekley says:

Its all good man. Glad you aren’t selling out for folgers… I have to admit I was a little bewildered when I saw it… Thanks for all your posts – I am a faithful reader!

11. timiekley says:

P.S. – You know my pastor (Todd Hiestand) – He is an alright guy…

12. Andy says:

Eugene,

I think you initially scared ALOT of people with your weird humor by posting the Folgers thing. I wasn’t sure as well.

There's no such thing as a self-made person. Someone believed, encouraged, and invested in you. Be grateful and be that someone for others.

Taking a break from the sabbatical...to partner in ministry in Denver at Cherry Hills Church and at the CRU staff conference. It was such a gift to be able to encourage a handful of folks one-to-one, a small group of Asian-American leaders from EPIC, and the larger group of 5000 staff during one of the sessions.

I've been personally blessed, challenged, encouraged, exhorted, and convicted by so many who have poured into my life - friends, acquaintances, and even strangers - and I hope to do that for others as I seek to be faithful to Christ.

Thank you, Lord.
#cru17 Nothing grows by itself. If something matters to us, may we be intentional about growing it.

Invest. Pray. Plant. Water. Nurture. Repeat. God sees and knows us. In fact, God knows everything about us.

Not just the good we try so hard to project but even the mess we often seek to hide.

Let this soak in: Not only are we fully known but in Christ, we are fully pursued and loved.

This is grace.
Amazing grace. Hairstyles change. Sideburn fads come and go but may our commitment to love, honor, respect, and be on mission together for Christ never waver.

Thank you, Minhee. I love you so much even if you made fun of my hairstyle and sideburns. I missed you, Seattle. Grateful for a time to pray, rest, retreat, read, reflect, and sabbath. I've spent the last 12 days in the woods alone. Competely alone. It's been both haunting and refreshing. Haunting because of loneliness. Refreshing because through the silence, I am reminded - again - that I'm not alone. Emmanuel.

Also, bought myself a cheap kayak and loving the solitude time in nature. Also, the kayak is paying instant dividends in my bass fishing game. #sabbathrest #bassfishing #catchandrelease