rejoice:reconcile:reflect

Since this past Sunday was the first Sunday of 2008, I chose to preach a ‘Heart to Heart’ message entitled, Rejoice, Reconcile, Reflect, to the community at Quest. I preached from Philippians 4:2-9 and am especially captivated by vv 8-9:

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.

After each of the services, I felt so personally encouraged and convicted.  There’s a great joy and satisfaction when you’ve read, studied, prayed, and prepared — and the sermon just comes together and you sense the Holy Spirit has ministered through you.  I particularly enjoy preaching at the 5pm service because it’s my ‘no holds barred’ version of that week’s message.  I don’t have to worry about time, usage of certain words, and can just let it rip.

The tech/audio folks are working to format podcasts into the new website soon but you can listen to the message focused on these three themes:  Rejoice.  Reconcile.  Reflect.  [Warning: it’s over an hour.]  But I do hope that it might be a source of encouragement to those who choose to listen.

Honestly, I think I was feeling a little too proud on Sunday night after I arrived home.  Later that night, I noticed that someone had linked to my blog.  WordPress has this feature that lists others that link to your blog.  Anyway, when I clicked on it, it was a post about his thought on the churches he’s recently visited which included stuff about Quest and me:

…probably the worst speaker I’ve ever heard.

We checked it out again…he was OK…But, it still didn’t really engage us toward Christ- so we decided to keep looking.

God has a funny way of humbling me…

Filed under: religion, ,

1. Randall says:

This sermon and Pastor Wayne’s a few weeks ago are some of the most amazing sermons I’ve heard in a long time – not just here at Quest, but anywhere.

…and I’m not the devil.

2. daniel so says:

Eugene — I like that this person linked to you despite feeling so negatively. At least you made some progress from one message to the next (from worst speaker ever to OK). If this person had stuck around for a year or so, you might be perceived as the best speaker ever.

The reception of a sermon is such a strange, subjective thing. That’s why I love, but also fear, preaching to children. If it stinks, their frowns & their groaning will let you know: “Are you done yet? Ugh!”

3. j says:

rejoice: on the success and accomplishment
    reconcile: with those who are the original members of Q when they were sitting in your living room as many have gone to the waste side…still questioning their faith
    reflect: what was done and what has not been done during your ministery to support these lost one, as they have been there when you were down and begining this long journey

as a shepard, please go out to those little lambs who have wondered off from your ministry and carry them back to the house of our Lord.

from: not an original member

4. Pat says:

It’s funny to me, but some of the best sermons I think I’ve preached fell flat with no response; and some of my worst nightmares made deep impact.

If that’s not proof that God is speaking though an ass (oh, sorry, donkey), I don’t know what is 🙂

Separate note – but Eugene, could you ask your webmaster to provide an RSS feed for your sermons, so that I can subscribe in iTunes? I’d love to have them handy.

5. northpointcc says:

I keep reminding myself that there is really only One opinion that counts. When He says, “well done,” it doesn’t matter what the rest of the church or the world thinks. Though I remind myself that only His opinion counts, I also know that the opinions of others hurt and humble us.

6. Jennifer says:

I found the blog you referenced…and I dont acutally think he’s saying YOU are are the worst speaker ever, but someone else that he heard at Quest.

I thought Sunday’s sermon was one of the top 5 sermons I have heard at Quest.

But honestly…to me, a sermon is just a small part of worship. Singing, prayer, eucharist, hugging friends, meeting new people, the benediction, quiet reflection, community – all of those make up worship too. I would hate for any pastor to feel they their part (the sermon) determins if people are being engaged toward Christ. Sermons are great, and important, but that is just a portion of what it means to engage Christ in worship.

7. j says:

what is this…a pitty session….”oh…it’s ok…..it is not your fault….they are ignorant…..they were not listening to your sermon but someone else”….

come on…wake up…..each person takes in a message differently. you can’t please all. some good…some bad. shake it off like a dead bee that was stuck on the winshield of your NEON BLUE MAZDA MIATA CONVERTIBLE.

pick yourself up and march on. meanwhile, ask for constructive criticism. Not all speakers are created equal, and you being no exception. However, the real difference between a good speaker vs you is that you truely believe in GOD, your own conviction, and striving to achieve what no other believer have done. it is up to your congregation, your family, to point out where are the deficiencies are and improve upon. you are only 37 (although with the beard, superman curls, you look like 50 yr old hobo) and got long ways to go….it is not just a humbling experience but GOD is chieseling the edges that you still have.

8. j says:

jennifer,

thanks for highlighting what i have read already. And again, my comment stands. Including my “NEON BLUE MAZDA MIATA” comment.

🙂

9. e cho says:

J: Please listen. While it’s an open forum, I’m politely asking you to be careful with the “tone” of your comments. It’s hard to discern accurately but you don’t need to sound so abrasive.

10. j says:

i guess jennifer deleted her entry before you read my latest.

if my mere intention of pointing out the facts and historicals appears to be abrasive, i do apologize. that is my cynical nature but will try to tone it down.

11. Rebecca says:

Eugene-

It was a fantastic sermon and I was definitely encouraged and convicted by it. It didn’t feel as long as it was (mark of a good sermon, in my opinion) but based on the actual recording time I guess it was a good thing I only had two songs for post-service worship!

12. Andy Larsen says:

Eugene,

As is often the case for me, I was very encouraged and a bit convicted by your sermon. The HS did some wonderful work in my heart. Same with me wife. The Lord really used the metaphor especially about the garden and the weeds.

For some reason I had my small Message version of my bible with me last Sunday and really took to heart Eugene Peterson’s rendition of Phil. 4:4,5…”Celebrate God all day, every day. I mean, revel in him! Make it as clear as you can to all you meet that you’re on their side, working with them and not against them. Help them see that the Master is about to arrive. He could show up any minute!”

Thanks for being an instrument in the hands of the HS.

Preach the Gospel at all times and sometimes...use signs.

Really loved this sign from one of our church congregants at the women's march.

Counter cultural. Subversive.
Life giving. Good news. To support both the equality of women and the dignity of the unborn feels like a very lonely place to be but I know we're not alone. May we press on. And may we lead with hope.

I'm at the Women's March in Seattle to show my solidarity with my wife, my mothers, my daughters, and the female congregants of my church. I'm also here to model for my son what we believe in our home. Many people have already expressed their disappointment, dismay, and disgust with my decision. Such is life. We will always disappoint someone. And that's also a lot of words that begin with "d." I'm here not because I agree or disagree with every single statement or sign at this march (although I really liked this one) but because as a Christian, I believe in the fundamental truth that women are fearfully and wonderfully made in the image of God. They are to be valued, heard, and respected.

And because I believe we can't be a flourishing society without the flourishing of women. And because the Church cannot be the Church without the gifts and voices of women. All the gifts of women.

And in doing so, may we together honor the sanctity of life - from womb to tomb. Collaboration.

col·lab·o·ra·tion
kəˌlabəˈrāSH(ə)n/
noun

the action of working with someone or a group of others  to produce or create something.

May we hold our logos, egos, and tribalism have their place. May we hold them loosely for they too shall pass. May we collaborate for the sake of the greater Kingdom of God ... which endures forever. As we honor Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., don't forget the God behind the man. The one true God who deposited this dream into MLK is still speaking to us today. Are we listening?

Be courageous. Be brave.

Being invited by the King Family to speak at the MLK worship service at Ebenezer Baptist Church in 2016 remains one of the most unexpected honors of my life. On the right is his daughter, Dr. Bernice King and his sister, Dr. Christine King Farris. Walking throughstreet markets in different parts of the world is the best. Soaking in the culture. Listening to the local language and music. Enjoying the amazing cuisine. Meeting new friends. Praying for the Gospel to penetrate. #ChiangRai Blessed be the local, indigenous leaders for it is they who live in the very communities they seek to love. For it is they who understand their context and culture...better than a Westerner ever will. For it is they who will continue to tenaciously pursue a better world with hope, justice and love when visitors like me leave.

Yes, blessed be the local, indigenous leaders.

• Preach the Gospel at all times and sometimes...use signs. Countercultural. Subversive. Life giving. Truth. - instagram.com/p/BPlwJneBSiW/ || 4 hours ago
  • Really loved this sign from the women's march from one of our church congregants. Counter cultural. Subversive. L… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 1 day ago
  • To support both the equality of women & the dignity of the unborn can be lonely but we're not alone. Lead with hope: instagram.com/p/BPjMGTOhMjL/ || 1 day ago
  • To support both the equality of women & the dignity of the unborn feels like a very lonely place to be but we're not alone. May we press on. || 1 day ago
  • Going to the Women's March in Seattle bc as a Christian, I believe women are fearfully and wonderfully made and are to be heard & respected. || 1 day ago
  • Christians: May we be guided by the Scriptures that remind us, "Seek first the Kingdom of God" and not, "Seek first the kingdom of America." || 1 day ago