happy new year – korean culture

Happy New Year again. My parents are visiting us for couple weeks from San Francisco. Great to see them spend some quality time with the kids. These are some images from our family’s New Year’s celebration – Korean style.  Enjoy them this week as I’ll remove some of the pics soon.   FYI, we celebrate New Year’s again [Solleol or Lunar New Year] on February 7 this year.

Every Korean family enjoys Duk-Kuk for breakfast on New Year’s Day. Minhee and my mother spent the night before making homemade “mahn doo” [wonton] to make some incredible “duk mahn doo kuk.”

copy-of-img_4599.jpg

We all dressed in our traditional Korean hanboks to pay our respects to our parents. We all bowed to them and received words of wisdom and some gifts. Then our children bowed to us and Minhee and I gave words of encouragement to each of our children. It was emotional.

This is me in my manly Korean pose.  Umm, who says real men can’t wear pink pants?
copy-of-img_4686.jpg

In the evening, we played a scintillating traditional Korean game called “Yuht.”  Here’s a picture of my son using his special mind tricks to control the sticks.  Shalom.  Happy New Year.

Filed under: family, ,

1. Daniel says:

You look like some Korean mafia dude in that picture.

2. nice family..happy new year…

3. Esther says:

se hae bok manee pade sae yo!

4. jadanzzy says:

yo man. it looks like those yut pieces materialized supernaturally out of your son’s hand! did he get moh yut?

5. i played yuht too! it’s the nasty version of Sorry

6. Peter Cho says:

Pastor Eugene,
    I have enjoyed your articles and views enormously this past year. It’s truly refreshing to see a man of God walk the walk. I hope Quest branches out to Orange County, CA. I look forward to the New Year and the challenges that God will bring us. My prayer to you, family and ministry.

God Bless

7. Ryan Roberts says:

Pastor Cho,

Thanks for sharing these great pics and reflections. As an Idahoan now living in South Korea I have a context for the photos and the things you shared. It is great to see the way you are retaining cultural traditions within your lives as Christians in a different country. The Duk-Kuk looks good…we had some the other day as well.

Thanks for you ministry through this blog. Happy New Year.

8. e cho says:

peter: thanks for the kind words. i’m – like many – stumbling along this journey of faith.

ryan: where are you in korea? sae hae bok mahnee bah dew sae yo.

9. Noel says:

We had duk ook, too, and my wife explained to my kids that all around the world Koreans were eating this with us. It was my 4 year old’s first time, and he said “It looks so icky but it smells so good!” and when he finally tried it, he was won over.

10. Angelina says:

Hi,
    I have a 13 yr old Korean exchange student staying with us till the end of February. I would very much like to acknowledge the Lunar New Year on her behalf. We are a hispanic family and I don’t kow any one who is Korean. Do you have any key ideas on how we could celebrate this time with her?

11. […] Fotografia |  eugenecho.wordpress.com […]

Window seat. For the win. As leaders, we must not see ministry and family as competing commitments.  We must not sacrifice our marriage and kids for the sake of "ministry." How can we? Loving our families IS ministry & good leadership.

And on a side note, we took this goofy photo for Mother's Day last Sunday at @seattlequest. I was shocked! What in the world happened to our kids? Our 13 year old son blocked four of my shots on the basketball court yesterday. He's since been grounded... I fear that we ask God to move mountains, forgetting that God also wants to move us.

In fact, it's possible that we are that mountain. Time flies. The eldest is wrapping up her 1st year in college and the college tours have begun for the 2nd child. The youngest enters high school in the Fall. Can't say enough about how proud Minhee and I are of the kids - not just of their accomplishments but the people they are and are becoming.

But...man...we can't wait to party it up when we're emptynesters. Party at our house. It's going to be epic. Humbled. Grateful. Mindful of God's grace and faithfulness in my life. It's all grace... It's an unexpected honor to be invited back - even with some mini-drama - to @princetonseminary to receive the 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award - exactly 25 years after starting my journey there as a student in 1992. Wow.

Princeton isn't necessarily for everyone. And to say that I loved everything about my experience would be misleading but it was very formative. Ir challenged me to examine why I believed in what I believed. It reminded me that God could handle my questions. It prepared me for a post-Christian context where I am not entitled to be heard but I had to earn the right to be heard, and of course, it taught me that all is good with a Philly cheese steak at Hoagie Haven.

No one is an island to themselves and I am certainly an example of that. Many people - women and men, young and old, and of many backgrounds - prayed, encouraged, mentored, and loved me along the way. Grateful for my professors at seminary, my many classmates, and the numerous fellow staff and co-laborers I've had the privilege of serving Christ with past and present. And of course, I'm forever inspired by my parents, my children, and my wife, Minhee. Thank you for your faith, hope, and love...and oh, for your patience. Only your family will know and see both the best and worst of you. They've seen my worst...and keep on believing in me.

Thank you again, PTS and President Barnes, for this honor. Then, today, and tomorrow...by God's grace, just striving to be faithful to my Lord and Savior...to preach and live out the convictions of the whole Gospel. Amen. So humbled and grateful to be with @catalystleader in Cincinnati to encourage leaders from all around the country about the invitation to Uncommon Fellowship.

Preached from John 4. We can talk, preach, sing, philsophize, liturgize, and spit rhymes about Samaria...but we still have to talk through Samaria.

• Heartbroken. Praying for Manchester & the UK. For those mourning loved ones. For those injured and fighting for life. Lord, in your mercy. || 1 day ago
  • Window seat. For the win. https://t.co/yG66Sm2bvu || 3 days ago
  • As leaders, we must not sacrifice our family for the sake of ministry because loving our family IS good leadership: instagram.com/p/BUVAGVwg-5z/ || 3 days ago
  • We long for a Gospel that comforts but resist the Gospel that disrupts. Having the former without the latter seduces us into complacency. || 3 days ago
  • Love wins in the end but in the meanwhile,it fights for things that matter. Love isn't sentimental. It's both gentle & fierce. Love endures. || 4 days ago
  • This is what we love to do. Empowering local, indigenous leaders to serve their own communities. Thanks for your su… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 5 days ago