happy new year – korean culture

Happy New Year again. My parents are visiting us for couple weeks from San Francisco. Great to see them spend some quality time with the kids. These are some images from our family’s New Year’s celebration – Korean style.  Enjoy them this week as I’ll remove some of the pics soon.   FYI, we celebrate New Year’s again [Solleol or Lunar New Year] on February 7 this year.

Every Korean family enjoys Duk-Kuk for breakfast on New Year’s Day. Minhee and my mother spent the night before making homemade “mahn doo” [wonton] to make some incredible “duk mahn doo kuk.”

copy-of-img_4599.jpg

We all dressed in our traditional Korean hanboks to pay our respects to our parents. We all bowed to them and received words of wisdom and some gifts. Then our children bowed to us and Minhee and I gave words of encouragement to each of our children. It was emotional.

This is me in my manly Korean pose.  Umm, who says real men can’t wear pink pants?
copy-of-img_4686.jpg

In the evening, we played a scintillating traditional Korean game called “Yuht.”  Here’s a picture of my son using his special mind tricks to control the sticks.  Shalom.  Happy New Year.

Filed under: family, ,

1. Daniel says:

You look like some Korean mafia dude in that picture.

2. nice family..happy new year…

3. Esther says:

se hae bok manee pade sae yo!

4. jadanzzy says:

yo man. it looks like those yut pieces materialized supernaturally out of your son’s hand! did he get moh yut?

5. i played yuht too! it’s the nasty version of Sorry

6. Peter Cho says:

Pastor Eugene,
    I have enjoyed your articles and views enormously this past year. It’s truly refreshing to see a man of God walk the walk. I hope Quest branches out to Orange County, CA. I look forward to the New Year and the challenges that God will bring us. My prayer to you, family and ministry.

God Bless

7. Ryan Roberts says:

Pastor Cho,

Thanks for sharing these great pics and reflections. As an Idahoan now living in South Korea I have a context for the photos and the things you shared. It is great to see the way you are retaining cultural traditions within your lives as Christians in a different country. The Duk-Kuk looks good…we had some the other day as well.

Thanks for you ministry through this blog. Happy New Year.

8. e cho says:

peter: thanks for the kind words. i’m – like many – stumbling along this journey of faith.

ryan: where are you in korea? sae hae bok mahnee bah dew sae yo.

9. Noel says:

We had duk ook, too, and my wife explained to my kids that all around the world Koreans were eating this with us. It was my 4 year old’s first time, and he said “It looks so icky but it smells so good!” and when he finally tried it, he was won over.

10. Angelina says:

Hi,
    I have a 13 yr old Korean exchange student staying with us till the end of February. I would very much like to acknowledge the Lunar New Year on her behalf. We are a hispanic family and I don’t kow any one who is Korean. Do you have any key ideas on how we could celebrate this time with her?

11. […] Fotografia |  eugenecho.wordpress.com […]

It. Still. Hurts.
#TamirRice Incredible news: @onedayswages is projecting to have our most impactful year as we grant out $1.3 million dollars! Thank you so much for your prayers and support...please read on to learn how you can join in our work.

As you gather with family, friends, and loved ones for Thanksgiving and the holidays, I wanted to share an opportunity. Often times, when I speak to people about the privilege of generosity, I remind them, "You don't have to but you get to." It's so true.

My wife and I (and our three kids) started ODW in 2009. We felt the Holy Spirit convicting us to give up our year's salary. It wasn't an easy thing to say "Yes" or "Amen" to but we made the decision to obey. As a result, it took us about three years to save, simplify, and sell off things we didn't need.

It's been an incredible journey as we've learned so much about the heart of God and God's love for the hurting and vulnerable around the world - particularly those living in extreme poverty. ODW is a small, scrappy, grassroots organization (with just 3 full-time employees) but since our launch, we've raised nearly $6 million dollars to help those living in extreme poverty: clean water and sanitation, education, maternal health, human trafficking, refugee crisis, hunger, and the list goes on and on.

So, here's my humble ask: As we do this work, would you consider making a pledge to support our work...so that we can keep doing this work with integrity and excellence?
You can make a one time gift or make monthly pledge of just $25 (or more). Thanks so much for considering this: http://onedayswages.org/give (link in bio, too) Don't just count your blessings. Bless others with your blessings. Here, there, everywhere. Be a blessing for this blesses our Father in Heaven and builds the Kingdom of God.

#ReThinkRegugees #WeWelcomeRefugees
@onedayswages Grateful. Still reflecting on the letters that I've received from classmates and students that have come before me and after me. Never imagined all that God would have in store for me. Lots of humbling things but in the midst of them, there were literally thousands upon thousands of daily decisions and choices to be faithful. That's what matters. Seen or unseen. Noticed or unnoticed. You do your best and sometimes you stumble and fumble along but nevertheless, seeking to be faithful.

Also, you know you're getting old when your school honors you with a Distinguished Alumni Award. Lol. 47 is the new 27. Or something like that. Here's to the next 47. In our culture, we can be so obsessed with the "spectacular" or "glamorous." The Church often engagws in thia language and paradigm...but what if God has called many of us to small, ordinary things?

Will we still be faithful?
Will we still go about such things with great love and joy?

I recently came across this picture taken by @mattylew, one of our church staff...and I started tearing up: This is my mother; in her 70s; with realities of some disabilities that make it difficult for her to stand up and sit down...but here she is on her knees and prostate in prayer. She doesn't have any social media accounts, barely knows how to use her smartphone, doesn't have a platform, hasn't written a book, doesn't have any titles in our church, isn't listed as a leader or an expert or a consultant or a guru. But she simply seeks to do her best - by God's grace - to be faithful to God. She prays for hours every day inteceding for our family, our church, and the larger world.

Even if we're not noticed or celebrated or elevated...let's be faithful. Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant. And not even successful in the eyes of the world.

Be faithful. Amen. #notetoself (and maybe helpful for someone else)

At times, we have to say ‘NO’ to good things to say ‘YES’ to the most important things.

We can't do it all.