happy new year – korean culture

Happy New Year again. My parents are visiting us for couple weeks from San Francisco. Great to see them spend some quality time with the kids. These are some images from our family’s New Year’s celebration – Korean style.  Enjoy them this week as I’ll remove some of the pics soon.   FYI, we celebrate New Year’s again [Solleol or Lunar New Year] on February 7 this year.

Every Korean family enjoys Duk-Kuk for breakfast on New Year’s Day. Minhee and my mother spent the night before making homemade “mahn doo” [wonton] to make some incredible “duk mahn doo kuk.”

copy-of-img_4599.jpg

We all dressed in our traditional Korean hanboks to pay our respects to our parents. We all bowed to them and received words of wisdom and some gifts. Then our children bowed to us and Minhee and I gave words of encouragement to each of our children. It was emotional.

This is me in my manly Korean pose.  Umm, who says real men can’t wear pink pants?
copy-of-img_4686.jpg

In the evening, we played a scintillating traditional Korean game called “Yuht.”  Here’s a picture of my son using his special mind tricks to control the sticks.  Shalom.  Happy New Year.

Filed under: family, ,

1. Daniel says:

You look like some Korean mafia dude in that picture.

2. nice family..happy new year…

3. Esther says:

se hae bok manee pade sae yo!

4. jadanzzy says:

yo man. it looks like those yut pieces materialized supernaturally out of your son’s hand! did he get moh yut?

5. i played yuht too! it’s the nasty version of Sorry

6. Peter Cho says:

Pastor Eugene,
    I have enjoyed your articles and views enormously this past year. It’s truly refreshing to see a man of God walk the walk. I hope Quest branches out to Orange County, CA. I look forward to the New Year and the challenges that God will bring us. My prayer to you, family and ministry.

God Bless

7. Ryan Roberts says:

Pastor Cho,

Thanks for sharing these great pics and reflections. As an Idahoan now living in South Korea I have a context for the photos and the things you shared. It is great to see the way you are retaining cultural traditions within your lives as Christians in a different country. The Duk-Kuk looks good…we had some the other day as well.

Thanks for you ministry through this blog. Happy New Year.

8. e cho says:

peter: thanks for the kind words. i’m – like many – stumbling along this journey of faith.

ryan: where are you in korea? sae hae bok mahnee bah dew sae yo.

9. Noel says:

We had duk ook, too, and my wife explained to my kids that all around the world Koreans were eating this with us. It was my 4 year old’s first time, and he said “It looks so icky but it smells so good!” and when he finally tried it, he was won over.

10. Angelina says:

Hi,
    I have a 13 yr old Korean exchange student staying with us till the end of February. I would very much like to acknowledge the Lunar New Year on her behalf. We are a hispanic family and I don’t kow any one who is Korean. Do you have any key ideas on how we could celebrate this time with her?

11. […] Fotografia |  eugenecho.wordpress.com […]

We have to remind ourselves of this truth every day lest we forget:

Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant.

Be faithful.

PS: Also, it helps to get some Vitamin D especially if you live in the rainy Northwest Thank you, Brooklyn, for the reminder. Umm, @jlin7 is a Christian but he wasn't very Christlike with me on the basketball court. He muscled me into the paint, dunked on me, mentioned my momma, and then said, "Stick with preaching." Just kidding. Kind of.

If you haven't heard, Jeremy Lin is donating his one games wages (approximately $140,000) and an additional $100 for every 3 pointer made to support Girls' Empowerment and Education through @onedayswages. That game is this Friday vs the Boston Celtics!

Join his campaign as he's inviting his fans to donate just $7. - http://onedayswages.org/jlin

Did you know that 32 million girls of lower secondary school age are not enrolled in school.

Did you know that every year of secondary school increases a girl’s future earning power by 20 percent.

Did you know that if all girls in Sub-Saharan Africa, South and West Asia had a secondary education, child marriage would fall by 64 percent.

We can't change the entire world but we can impact the lives of one, few, and in some cases...many.

#jeremylin #jlin #linsanity #onedayswages Don't be held captive to either praise or criticism.

Know who you are.
Know what you're about.
Know WHO you serve.

The answer to who you serve makes all the difference... It's the day after International Women's Day - and it's still important to celebrate the contribution of women in our lives, society, and world. As we honor women all around the world, I'm also reminded of how women and children are those who are most deeply impacted by injustice - especially poverty.

Sadly, I have witnessed this reality in too many places. ​In 2012, I traveled to a remote area in Eastern Kenya as part of a @onedayswages response to a famine that struck the Horn of Africa region. This famine impacted nearly 13 million people and according to some sources, took the lives of about 250,000 people. During my trip there, I had the chance of meeting many people but the person that still remains in my memory was a Muslim woman named Sahara.

She was so hospitable in inviting us to her small and temporary home. During our conversation, I learned that ​Sahara traveled 300 kilometers (a little under 200 miles) – some by cart and some by foot – as they sought to escape the worst drought that has impacted East Africa (Kenya, Somalia, and Ethiopia) in the past 60 years.

This is not a misprint.
200.

She traveled about 200 miles on cart and foot. ​And all along, she was ill. If you look closely ​at the photo, you might notice the large lump in her throat - likely a large cancerous tumor.​ She did not travel alone. She traveled with her husband who I was not able to meet because he was staying with one of his five other wives in this polygamist community.  She did not travel alone. She also traveled with her six children – the youngest being about 1 and the oldest being around 8. She had just given birth to her sixth child when they began her journey. Her youngest was severely malnourished when they arrived to this new settlement in a town called Benane.
Sahara and her children all survived this journey. They survived because she persisted.
In honor of Sahara...and so many other women who keep...keeping on. I have to remind myself of this every day...because I can forget every day:

Don't be lazy and make assumptions about people. Ask about their story. Then listen. Be humble. Be teachable. Be human. Be a good neighbor.