happy new year – korean culture

Happy New Year again. My parents are visiting us for couple weeks from San Francisco. Great to see them spend some quality time with the kids. These are some images from our family’s New Year’s celebration – Korean style.  Enjoy them this week as I’ll remove some of the pics soon.   FYI, we celebrate New Year’s again [Solleol or Lunar New Year] on February 7 this year.

Every Korean family enjoys Duk-Kuk for breakfast on New Year’s Day. Minhee and my mother spent the night before making homemade “mahn doo” [wonton] to make some incredible “duk mahn doo kuk.”

copy-of-img_4599.jpg

We all dressed in our traditional Korean hanboks to pay our respects to our parents. We all bowed to them and received words of wisdom and some gifts. Then our children bowed to us and Minhee and I gave words of encouragement to each of our children. It was emotional.

This is me in my manly Korean pose.  Umm, who says real men can’t wear pink pants?
copy-of-img_4686.jpg

In the evening, we played a scintillating traditional Korean game called “Yuht.”  Here’s a picture of my son using his special mind tricks to control the sticks.  Shalom.  Happy New Year.

Filed under: family, ,

1. Daniel says:

You look like some Korean mafia dude in that picture.

2. nice family..happy new year…

3. Esther says:

se hae bok manee pade sae yo!

4. jadanzzy says:

yo man. it looks like those yut pieces materialized supernaturally out of your son’s hand! did he get moh yut?

5. i played yuht too! it’s the nasty version of Sorry

6. Peter Cho says:

Pastor Eugene,
    I have enjoyed your articles and views enormously this past year. It’s truly refreshing to see a man of God walk the walk. I hope Quest branches out to Orange County, CA. I look forward to the New Year and the challenges that God will bring us. My prayer to you, family and ministry.

God Bless

7. Ryan Roberts says:

Pastor Cho,

Thanks for sharing these great pics and reflections. As an Idahoan now living in South Korea I have a context for the photos and the things you shared. It is great to see the way you are retaining cultural traditions within your lives as Christians in a different country. The Duk-Kuk looks good…we had some the other day as well.

Thanks for you ministry through this blog. Happy New Year.

8. e cho says:

peter: thanks for the kind words. i’m – like many – stumbling along this journey of faith.

ryan: where are you in korea? sae hae bok mahnee bah dew sae yo.

9. Noel says:

We had duk ook, too, and my wife explained to my kids that all around the world Koreans were eating this with us. It was my 4 year old’s first time, and he said “It looks so icky but it smells so good!” and when he finally tried it, he was won over.

10. Angelina says:

Hi,
    I have a 13 yr old Korean exchange student staying with us till the end of February. I would very much like to acknowledge the Lunar New Year on her behalf. We are a hispanic family and I don’t kow any one who is Korean. Do you have any key ideas on how we could celebrate this time with her?

11. […] Fotografia |  eugenecho.wordpress.com […]

Country living.
I like. The secret to being grateful is no secret. You choose to be grateful. Then you do it again and again. Every day. If you forget, start again. Back to fishing...I mean, umm...back to writing a book. There's no such thing as a self-made person. Someone believed, encouraged, and invested in you. Be grateful and be that someone for others.

Taking a break from the sabbatical...to partner in ministry in Denver at Cherry Hills Church and at the CRU staff conference. It was such a gift to be able to encourage a handful of folks one-to-one, a small group of Asian-American leaders from EPIC, and the larger group of 5000 staff during one of the sessions.

I've been personally blessed, challenged, encouraged, exhorted, and convicted by so many who have poured into my life - friends, acquaintances, and even strangers - and I hope to do that for others as I seek to be faithful to Christ.

Thank you, Lord.
#cru17 Nothing grows by itself. If something matters to us, may we be intentional about growing it.

Invest. Pray. Plant. Water. Nurture. Repeat. God sees and knows us. In fact, God knows everything about us.

Not just the good we try so hard to project but even the mess we often seek to hide.

Let this soak in: Not only are we fully known but in Christ, we are fully pursued and loved.

This is grace.