heroes the tv show

Okay, I get it.  I’ve been rolling my eyes every time someone mentions how much they enjoy the TV series called Heroes.  I own a TV but dislike watching  shows.  In fact, I don’t watch any TV shows with the exception of ESPN Sports Center and the local news.  Yet, I enjoy my TV because I’m a voracious consumer of DVDS – foreign films [particularly Asian cinema], new releases, and documentaries galore.  While I’m curious about the shows on TV, I simply can’t stand watching them because of something called COMMERCIALS.  I hate commercials.

But the past two weeks, I’ve been renting the first season of Heroes on DVD and I’m mesmerized.  Wow!  Things have changed since my fixation of the 80s show called Greatest American Hero.  Anyone remember that?

If you’re a fan of TV shows, visit BuddyTV.  This company, based in Seattle, know and love their TV.  So, for future DVD rentals, what TV shows should I be renting?  What’s worth my time and WHY?

logo.gif

Filed under: entertainment,

1. Lost, my friend, Lost. Other than Heroes, its my only other weekly show.

2. pdxWoman says:

i am a dvd freak. i own more than 40 seasons of tv shows and over 250 movies. i never watch a commercial; i don’t even get tv reception.

taste in entertainment (tv / movies / music) is so personal it is nearly impossible to make a recommendation. especially since we don’t know each other. but, i was excited to be FIRST, so here’s my list…

watch: firefly (great pastor in this one); dead like me; west wing
    over rated: lost; boondocks

take it or leave it: if you like greg grunberg (of heroes) and mindless tv, alias is okay (except the last season).

3. pdxWoman says:

well, i spent too long replying and john beat me to 1st…

and we clearly disagree on lost…

4. Dexter is worth watching – it’s a show about a serial killer who works in a police forensics lab – however he’s been trained by his adoptive father only to harm other killers. The humour’s sharp, and like a lot of the better TV shows these days, each episode builds toward a tense finale full of surprises. Highly recommended.

5. Ragamuffin280 says:

I have to agree that Lost is overrated. West Wing is definitely a show to check out, as well as the 13-episode series Firefly and accompanying movie Serenity (watch the series first). Also, try Boston Legal and Prison Break.

6. Ben C says:

ENTOURAGE ON HBO – Game over

7. alex oh says:

I would go with Ragamuffin’s recommendation for Firefly. Although short and cancelled before being completed, it was a great show.

Jericho is another good one.

8. yung says:

THE OFFICE!

“Would I rather be feared or loved? Um… Easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me” – Michael Scott

9. JB says:

Heros is the only show both Vince and I like. We watch it from the NBC website on a laptop after the kids are down. Very cozy. Just a few ads and we hit the mute button. Free and no late fees.

PE, I know you didn’t like the fact that one of the only asian male characters on prime time tv couldn’t speak English (at first), but you’ve got to admit that Hiro is a great character! YATTA!

My other two shows are Ugly Betty (also watched when convenient from the ABC website) and Project Runway, but something tells me you wouldn’t enjoy them!

Joani

10. rexhamilton says:

“Believe it or not, I’m walking on air…” -I remember many times being in elemetary school, watching Great American Hero!

Rent the Fox series-Arrested Development…should never have been pulled so quickly from tv!

11. e cho says:

JB: Hiro is a great character. I’m really speechless about Heroes. It’s so well done. But I’m thinking that you’re missing out a little on the visual impact by watching Heroes on the laptop. Well, you gotta do what you gotta do.

John: I did catch the first season of Lost [a weekly later via someone’s recording] – mainly because I was so intrigued by Daniel Dae Kim and YunJin Kim as part of primary cast. That was simply unheard of. But after that first season, I just couldn’t follow it anymore. They “lost” me…

12. young chang says:

Would agree on the recommendation for West Wing. We have seasons 1-5 if you’d like to borrow. =) Great writing, comedic timing all in a drama format that actually makes you hopeful about politics, my first love.

13. Ryanbd says:

Maybe it’s not as good as I think it is ‘cuz nobody has mentioned it, but I love “30 Rock”. It’s such a collection of great caricatures of the characters. I think it might finally be the successor to Seinfeld…big words, I know.

I’m disappointed to hear you didn’t hang with Lost. Especially on DVD. I’m down the rabbit hole on that one and anxiously awaiting its return. The Office is the other of the three we’re committed to. Dwight Shrute (Seattle actor plays him) is The Man:

Dwight Schrute: In the wild, there is no health care. In the wild, health care is, ‘Ow, I hurt my leg. I can’t run. A lion eats me. I’m dead.’ Well, I’m not dead. I’m the lion. You’re dead.

Dwight Schrute: The problem, Jim, is that people who are really suffering from a medical condition won’t receive the care they need because someone in this office is coming up with ridiculous stuff. Count Choculitis….Why did you write that down, Jim? Is it because you know I love Count Chocula?

14. Ryanbd says:

Ok, one more from Dwight:

Mr. Brown: At Diversity Today, we believe it’s very easy to be a hero. All you need are honesty, empathy, respect, and open-mindedness.
    Dwight Schrute: Ah, excuse me? I’m sorry, but that’s not all it takes to be a hero.
    Mr. Brown: Great, well, what is a hero to you?
    Dwight Schrute: A hero kills people, people that wish him harm. A hero is part human and part supernatural. A hero is born out of a childhood trauma, or out of a disaster, that must be avenged.
    Mr. Brown: Uh, you’re thinking of a superhero.
    Dwight Schrute: We all have a hero in our heart.

15. Brad VW says:

Hey from Illinois, enjoy the site!
    or some good crime drama that hasn’t been ruined like extra CSI’s and Law and Orders, I would go for Bones (great character interaction and relationships), Numbers (good stories, good math, and good family dynamics), and some criminal minds (although it can be a little extreme, it also has good characters)
    Don’t forget about the Simpsons either.
    After Home starts the church on fire with a model rocket he and Bart built, Marge comes out and says, “Homer this is the worst thing you have ever done!”
    Homer replies, “Marge, you say that so often, it has lost all meaning.”

16. david says:

down with the TV industry! sorry, buddytv… 🙂

every year around this time i feel the pressure to buy a tv, but then i watch some and i remember why we got rid of ours 3.5 years ago. i’m still tempted by the technology, and think i might cave within the next 2 years, but we’ll see…

until these statistics change, i sleep better at night knowing i’m resisting the matrix…

17. jack says:

dude, greatest american hero is one of the coolest tv shows ever made. i love that theme song. thanks for reviving that memory…

18. jessica hong says:

first of all, amazing that the tv blog warranted so many comments. 🙂

i have TWO essentials: freaks & geeks and flight of the concord. they’ll change your life. quotable quotes out the yin-yang.

19. worinld says:

tivo/dvr. man’s best friend, tv execs/advertiser’s worst nightmare. but why rent, when you can just dvr and watch?

20. Matt Chism says:

Wouldn’t be right if I didn’t throw in Battlestar Galactica into the mix- at least the new revisioned version. It’s truly epic, especially the first and second season; Nevermind the robots, its main concern is humanity and our continual repetitions of sin. It’s actually had some of the most poignant writing I’ve ever seen on a tv drama- they won a Peabody Award last year for excellence in fictional writing. Plus, if you watch it on DVD, there are no commercials or pesky cable fees. It’s my “other” show (other than Heroes).

21. SolShine7 says:

“Friday Night Lights” (NBC) – The tales of smalltown Texas through the eyes of a high school football team and its coach will make you think about the simple things like love, friendship and hope…but then it’s never really that simple at all.

“Lincoln Heights” (ABC Family) – On the streets of L.A. life isn’t as always glamourous. Lincoln Heights tells the story of a black cop who decides to give up his comfy life in the suburbs and moves his family back to the ‘hood of his youth giving them all a chance to make make a postive difference. This show SHOULD have gotten a Golden Globe nod…shame on them!

“Chuck” (NBC) – Somehow, Chuck makes a computer geek look really, really cool. There’s plenty of cheesy spy action going on, but like magic…it just works.

And then there’s my PBS favorites: Tavis Smiley, Charlie Rose and [i]ndependent Lens.

22. Blake says:

Gotta agree with Chism on BSG. It’s an awesomly epic show. Those Psylons are tricky little buggers.

23. e cho says:

Some very interesting suggestions.

But, I’m surprised no one’s mentioned “24.” Maybe folks are getting tired of Jack Bauer.

24. Dan H says:

All the above suggestions are good stuff. But for those with patience for detail, and willingness to be challenged with the ambiguities of real life, The Wire is the best thing to come on television in maybe forever. Start renting DVDs now.

25. insipid "g" says:

i would have to vote w/ Gerard McGarry above… DEXTER on showtime RULES!

26. pdxWoman says:

never watched 24 — never sounded interesting to me; in fact, it sounded dumb.

thought you might appreciate the humor of this website, which you may already know about… http://www.holyobserver.com … written by Christians with a sense of humor about the Christian religion. this month’s issue contains an article about James Kim, a Korean-American pastor who *gasp* speaks only english and doesn’t know any martial arts…

27. Rebecca says:

Ooh, Firefly is a definite favorite, as is Wonderfalls, another short-lived but fantabulous show.

I’ve never liked 24 or Lost, and so far I have resisted Heroes, although I might get sucked in as well. I did get hooked on Ugly Betty recently.

Personally, I have rented so many Korean TV drams over the past year it’s scary. Minhee and I should compare notes.

28. gar says:

Big echoes on Firefly (it ended too soon…) and (the new) Battlestar Galactica. Watch the BSG miniseries and the first episode of the first season, “33”… if you’re not hooked after seeing “33” (arguably one of the greatest episodes of the series), then you probably won’t like BSG.

For sitcom / comedy, the wifey has made me a fan of “How I Met Your Mother”. The episodes are short (~20minutes) and NPH’s character is hilarious.

29. e cho says:

ok, i’m sold. who’s got the Battle Star Balactica on DVD i can borrow?

30. psyche says:

I like Heroes!!! I like the story and the twist…The power that every heroes possess is absolutely amazing…I like the Cheer Leader more than anyone there…

31. […] got responses:  Please Stop Dancing [Glad to know that we have some readers from the ’80s!]; Heroes the TV show [Who knew people loved their TV so […]

32. Alison W says:

A new batch of Heroes is coming to NBC in summer 2015 called Heroes: Reborn. I hope it’s as good as season 1!

Everyone loves the idea of  reconciliation...until it involves truthtelling, confessing, repenting, dismantling, forgiving, and peacemaking. Charlottesville. So heartbreaking and infuriating. We weep and mourn over the hatred in the hearts of these white nationalists. We weep and mourn but we can't be defeated.

As I stare at this photo that's making its round on the internet, I'm reminded of the utter importance of showing up. I'm grateful for the news media, law enforcement, clergy, and peaceful protesters that are currently there to report, protect, pray, and protest.

And this is an invitation to us. May we not be mere bystanders. May we keep pressing forward. Seek justice. Love mercy. Walk humbly. Commit to truth-telling, justice, reconciliation, peacemaking. Follow the ways of Christ. Every day. And it's important to note that we don't have to go to Charlottesville to do this. In fact, it's more important that we do this exactly where we're at. May we live out the call to reconciliation in our churches, workplaces, neighborhoods, schools, and around our dining tables. Lord, may it be so... We don't have to go to Charlottesville to do this. We have to do this wherever were called to be.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” ~ Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. /// Thanks to those who let me know that the photo wasn't actually from today but rather from last month in Charlottesville. - https://www.facebook.com/FrankSomervilleKTVU/posts/1551137301616258:0 Grateful for a spontaneous, last minute trip with Minhee to my old stomping grounds - San Francisco. 48 hours of visiting this special city that I called home for so many years.

Pic 1: Went to the Cliff House restaurant where we got engaged about 21 years ago to make out. Oops, sorry, I meant...to reflect on God's faithfulness over these many years.

Pic 2: Walked across the Golden Gate Bridge because it's such an iconic place - with some of the most incredible views.

Pic 3: Enjoyed a glass of some Cabernet Sauvignon and pretended to be wine connoisseurs at a vineyard.

Pic 4: Had lunch at my favorite Chinese restaurant, Sam Tung, which boasts some of the best chicken in the country. And of course, we ate at In-n-out.

Pic 5: And finally, celebrated with the good folks at @thefreedomstory where @onedayswages received their annual Freedom Award. What an honor.

Grateful. Thankful for this sabbatical. Breathe.

Show yourself some grace.

We can't do everything for everyone in every situation. Do what you can and do it with a joyful heart.

Amen A family that eats sushi together stays together.

Seriously, I don't ever remember eating so much as a teenager but these kids eat and eat and eat. Perhaps, the reason why this kid is pushing 6 feet tall. Grateful for a special treat with the family at @JaponessaSeattle. I'm sharing an obligatory, "I love and appreciate my wife, she's amazing" photo. Also...because I did something naughty...or brilliant. ;) Seattle is in the midst of a crazy heatwave. Near 100 degrees, hazy, and humid. An excessive heat advisory warning has also been issued.

So, Minhee and I needed to run some errands. It waa horrible but sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do. It's also known as adulting.

So, I'm driving and the air conditioning seems to have minimal effect. Minhee is in the passenger's seat and umm, when she's not paying attention, I turn on her seat heater to 5 - the highest level. All along, she's complaining about how hot she is...for nearly an hour...until she finally realizes what I did.

Bam. Boom. Gotcha.

Minhee, I love you!

• RT @mrmedina: When Bryan Stevenson speaks, we do well to listen. https://t.co/o5GJD0KWR2 || 12 hours ago
  • "Mourn with those who mourn." Lifting up the people of Sierra Leone in prayers. Hundreds dead and many more missing… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 14 hours ago
  • Dear Barcelona: We are so sorry. We mourn the violence and tragedy in your beautiful city. We pray for healing and yearn for peace. Amen. || 1 day ago
  • Love wins in the end but meanwhile, it fights for things that matter. Love isn't sentimental. It's both gentle & fierce. Seek God's Kingdom. || 2 days ago
  • In response to racism, folks often say, "It's a sin issue." Yes...but don't be naive. Sin creates sinful systems: youtube.com/watch?v=LEbUa0… || 3 days ago
  • Everyone loves the idea of reconciliation...until it involves truthtelling, confessing, repenting, dismantling, forgiving, and peacemaking. || 5 days ago