gift exchange disasters

We had our annual church Christmas Dinner and Party this past Saturday evening.  It’s one of my favorite gatherings especially since folks from the larger church gather together in one space.  The craziest part is the White Elephant Gift Exchange or whatever people call them.  The only rule we have is that you can’t buy anything for the exchange.  Rather, you bring something that you’ve enjoyed before.  But why is it that every year, I always get shafted?

Two years ago, I got some hideous Thomas Kinkade clock.  Last year, someone left the entire set of the Left Behind book seriesthe entire set!  And this year, I ended up with this “gift” [photos courtesy of DCruzin Photography]…

stills2.jpg

stills1.jpg

Yup, those are stilts.  Again, I win the prize for the craziest gift disaster!

Filed under: entertainment

1. DJ says:

hah hah. that’s hilarious.

2. Darwin says:

It was definitely an interesting assortment of gifts that night. Minhee almost ended up with the gift I brought as a joke, a CD on the “High-Tech Road to Romance,” but luckily she put it down and picked another. Luckily Miles ended up with that gem!

I hope you know the expectations are “high” to see you wear those around 😉

3. kent says:

Kind of whinny aren’t ya?

4. eliacin says:

I’ll be waiting to see photos of the stilts been used in the next summer solstice parade in Fremont.

Peace.

5. Fighting ….urge…. to …. make…. short…. person…. joke…… rising…rising…. falling…falling…falling…. whew!

6. RyanBD says:

Oh, that’s awesome. I guess we know what you’ll be bringing to next year’s gift exchange. Now you can put the Left Behind books someplace really high the kids can’t reach…

7. Sue says:

Eugene, you can now tell people that God answered your prayers of getting tall to have a shot at the NBA!

Window seat. For the win. As leaders, we must not see ministry and family as competing commitments.  We must not sacrifice our marriage and kids for the sake of "ministry." How can we? Loving our families IS ministry & good leadership.

And on a side note, we took this goofy photo for Mother's Day last Sunday at @seattlequest. I was shocked! What in the world happened to our kids? Our 13 year old son blocked four of my shots on the basketball court yesterday. He's since been grounded... I fear that we ask God to move mountains, forgetting that God also wants to move us.

In fact, it's possible that we are that mountain. Time flies. The eldest is wrapping up her 1st year in college and the college tours have begun for the 2nd child. The youngest enters high school in the Fall. Can't say enough about how proud Minhee and I are of the kids - not just of their accomplishments but the people they are and are becoming.

But...man...we can't wait to party it up when we're emptynesters. Party at our house. It's going to be epic. Humbled. Grateful. Mindful of God's grace and faithfulness in my life. It's all grace... It's an unexpected honor to be invited back - even with some mini-drama - to @princetonseminary to receive the 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award - exactly 25 years after starting my journey there as a student in 1992. Wow.

Princeton isn't necessarily for everyone. And to say that I loved everything about my experience would be misleading but it was very formative. Ir challenged me to examine why I believed in what I believed. It reminded me that God could handle my questions. It prepared me for a post-Christian context where I am not entitled to be heard but I had to earn the right to be heard, and of course, it taught me that all is good with a Philly cheese steak at Hoagie Haven.

No one is an island to themselves and I am certainly an example of that. Many people - women and men, young and old, and of many backgrounds - prayed, encouraged, mentored, and loved me along the way. Grateful for my professors at seminary, my many classmates, and the numerous fellow staff and co-laborers I've had the privilege of serving Christ with past and present. And of course, I'm forever inspired by my parents, my children, and my wife, Minhee. Thank you for your faith, hope, and love...and oh, for your patience. Only your family will know and see both the best and worst of you. They've seen my worst...and keep on believing in me.

Thank you again, PTS and President Barnes, for this honor. Then, today, and tomorrow...by God's grace, just striving to be faithful to my Lord and Savior...to preach and live out the convictions of the whole Gospel. Amen. So humbled and grateful to be with @catalystleader in Cincinnati to encourage leaders from all around the country about the invitation to Uncommon Fellowship.

Preached from John 4. We can talk, preach, sing, philsophize, liturgize, and spit rhymes about Samaria...but we still have to talk through Samaria.

• "They got money for wars but can't feed the poor." ~ Tupac #trumpbudget || 18 hours ago
  • Heartbroken. Praying for Manchester & the UK. For those mourning loved ones. For those injured and fighting for life. Lord, in your mercy. || 2 days ago
  • Window seat. For the win. https://t.co/yG66Sm2bvu || 4 days ago
  • As leaders, we must not sacrifice our family for the sake of ministry because loving our family IS good leadership: instagram.com/p/BUVAGVwg-5z/ || 4 days ago
  • We long for a Gospel that comforts but resist the Gospel that disrupts. Having the former without the latter seduces us into complacency. || 4 days ago
  • Love wins in the end but in the meanwhile,it fights for things that matter. Love isn't sentimental. It's both gentle & fierce. Love endures. || 5 days ago