gift exchange disasters

We had our annual church Christmas Dinner and Party this past Saturday evening.  It’s one of my favorite gatherings especially since folks from the larger church gather together in one space.  The craziest part is the White Elephant Gift Exchange or whatever people call them.  The only rule we have is that you can’t buy anything for the exchange.  Rather, you bring something that you’ve enjoyed before.  But why is it that every year, I always get shafted?

Two years ago, I got some hideous Thomas Kinkade clock.  Last year, someone left the entire set of the Left Behind book seriesthe entire set!  And this year, I ended up with this “gift” [photos courtesy of DCruzin Photography]…

stills2.jpg

stills1.jpg

Yup, those are stilts.  Again, I win the prize for the craziest gift disaster!

Filed under: entertainment

1. DJ says:

hah hah. that’s hilarious.

2. Darwin says:

It was definitely an interesting assortment of gifts that night. Minhee almost ended up with the gift I brought as a joke, a CD on the “High-Tech Road to Romance,” but luckily she put it down and picked another. Luckily Miles ended up with that gem!

I hope you know the expectations are “high” to see you wear those around 😉

3. kent says:

Kind of whinny aren’t ya?

4. eliacin says:

I’ll be waiting to see photos of the stilts been used in the next summer solstice parade in Fremont.

Peace.

5. Fighting ….urge…. to …. make…. short…. person…. joke…… rising…rising…. falling…falling…falling…. whew!

6. RyanBD says:

Oh, that’s awesome. I guess we know what you’ll be bringing to next year’s gift exchange. Now you can put the Left Behind books someplace really high the kids can’t reach…

7. Sue says:

Eugene, you can now tell people that God answered your prayers of getting tall to have a shot at the NBA!

These are crazy times in our country and larger world but nevertheless, we're going to keep pursuing the things that God has placed upon our hearts. We're pressing forward...doing our part to reflect mercy, compassion, and justice - locally and globally.

Wednesdays are my @onedayswages office day and I especially love the culmination of hard work for our interns, volunteers, 2 full-time staff, and board as we collaborate with our NGO partners. This week, we signed these checks as we granted out over $75,000 to provide better health care for mothers and their families in Mali and Nepal.

THANK YOU for making this possible Your classic play it cool because you're visiting your old stomping grounds at Princeton and pretend you're not cold but in actuality, you're freezing picture. 20 years, 2 weeks, and counting. What a journey with this woman. I love her...and I want to keep growing in love, honor, and respect. Great to catch up with @jlin7 in Brooklyn at the Nets game. Grateful for his partnership with @onedayswages to support our Girls' Empowerment Fund. The season hasn't been what he hoped for with major injuries...but we can't wait to see you back on the court soon and do what you do. Stay encouraged, brother. Thanks for your faithful witness for Christ. Playoffs! Let's go #11. Point Guard. Living my hoop dreams through my girl.

pc: ed tanaka Following Jesus is not just about going to church. It also involves repenting, seeking justice, loving kindness, walking humbly, feeding the poor, clothing the naked, speaking up for the voiceless, welcoming the refugee, and fighting for the rights of vulnerable. Sometimes, it's scary but Jesus nevertheless commands, "Follow me." Be brave.