gift exchange disasters

We had our annual church Christmas Dinner and Party this past Saturday evening.  It’s one of my favorite gatherings especially since folks from the larger church gather together in one space.  The craziest part is the White Elephant Gift Exchange or whatever people call them.  The only rule we have is that you can’t buy anything for the exchange.  Rather, you bring something that you’ve enjoyed before.  But why is it that every year, I always get shafted?

Two years ago, I got some hideous Thomas Kinkade clock.  Last year, someone left the entire set of the Left Behind book seriesthe entire set!  And this year, I ended up with this “gift” [photos courtesy of DCruzin Photography]…

stills2.jpg

stills1.jpg

Yup, those are stilts.  Again, I win the prize for the craziest gift disaster!

Filed under: entertainment

1. DJ says:

hah hah. that’s hilarious.

2. Darwin says:

It was definitely an interesting assortment of gifts that night. Minhee almost ended up with the gift I brought as a joke, a CD on the “High-Tech Road to Romance,” but luckily she put it down and picked another. Luckily Miles ended up with that gem!

I hope you know the expectations are “high” to see you wear those around 😉

3. kent says:

Kind of whinny aren’t ya?

4. eliacin says:

I’ll be waiting to see photos of the stilts been used in the next summer solstice parade in Fremont.

Peace.

5. Fighting ….urge…. to …. make…. short…. person…. joke…… rising…rising…. falling…falling…falling…. whew!

6. RyanBD says:

Oh, that’s awesome. I guess we know what you’ll be bringing to next year’s gift exchange. Now you can put the Left Behind books someplace really high the kids can’t reach…

7. Sue says:

Eugene, you can now tell people that God answered your prayers of getting tall to have a shot at the NBA!

Nothing grows by itself. If something matters to us, may we be intentional about growing it.

Invest. Pray. Plant. Water. Nurture. Repeat. God sees and knows us. In fact, God knows everything about us.

Not just the good we try so hard to project but even the mess we often seek to hide.

Let this soak in: Not only are we fully known but in Christ, we are fully pursued and loved.

This is grace.
Amazing grace. Hairstyles change. Sideburn fads come and go but may our commitment to love, honor, respect, and be on mission together for Christ never waver.

Thank you, Minhee. I love you so much even if you made fun of my hairstyle and sideburns. I missed you, Seattle. Grateful for a time to pray, rest, retreat, read, reflect, and sabbath. I've spent the last 12 days in the woods alone. Competely alone. It's been both haunting and refreshing. Haunting because of loneliness. Refreshing because through the silence, I am reminded - again - that I'm not alone. Emmanuel.

Also, bought myself a cheap kayak and loving the solitude time in nature. Also, the kayak is paying instant dividends in my bass fishing game. #sabbathrest #bassfishing #catchandrelease There's nothing selfish about rest and self-care. We can't give what we don't have. Experience life and we'll be life-giving to others. Amen.

#NoteToSelf