gift exchange disasters

We had our annual church Christmas Dinner and Party this past Saturday evening.  It’s one of my favorite gatherings especially since folks from the larger church gather together in one space.  The craziest part is the White Elephant Gift Exchange or whatever people call them.  The only rule we have is that you can’t buy anything for the exchange.  Rather, you bring something that you’ve enjoyed before.  But why is it that every year, I always get shafted?

Two years ago, I got some hideous Thomas Kinkade clock.  Last year, someone left the entire set of the Left Behind book seriesthe entire set!  And this year, I ended up with this “gift” [photos courtesy of DCruzin Photography]…

stills2.jpg

stills1.jpg

Yup, those are stilts.  Again, I win the prize for the craziest gift disaster!

Filed under: entertainment

1. DJ says:

hah hah. that’s hilarious.

2. Darwin says:

It was definitely an interesting assortment of gifts that night. Minhee almost ended up with the gift I brought as a joke, a CD on the “High-Tech Road to Romance,” but luckily she put it down and picked another. Luckily Miles ended up with that gem!

I hope you know the expectations are “high” to see you wear those around 😉

3. kent says:

Kind of whinny aren’t ya?

4. eliacin says:

I’ll be waiting to see photos of the stilts been used in the next summer solstice parade in Fremont.

Peace.

5. Fighting ….urge…. to …. make…. short…. person…. joke…… rising…rising…. falling…falling…falling…. whew!

6. RyanBD says:

Oh, that’s awesome. I guess we know what you’ll be bringing to next year’s gift exchange. Now you can put the Left Behind books someplace really high the kids can’t reach…

7. Sue says:

Eugene, you can now tell people that God answered your prayers of getting tall to have a shot at the NBA!

#notetoself (and maybe helpful for someone else)

At times, we have to say ‘NO’ to good things to say ‘YES’ to the most important things.

We can't do it all.
Pray and choose wisely.
Then invest deeply. May our compassion not just be limited to the West or to those that look like us. Lifting up the people of Iraq, Iran, and Kurdistan in prayer after the 7.3 earthquake - including the many new friends I met on a recent trip to Iraq.

The death toll rises to over 400 and over 7,000 injured in multiple cities and hundreds of villages along the Western border with Iraq.

Lord, in your mercy... We are reminded again and again...that we are Resurrection People living in a Dark Friday world.

It's been a tough, emotional, and painful week - especially as we lament the horrible tragedy of the church shootings at Sutherland Springs. In the midst of this lament, I've been carried by the hope, beauty, and promise of our baptisms last Sunday and the raw and honest testimonies of God's mercy, love, and grace.

Indeed, God is not yet done. May we take heart for Christ has overcome the world. "Without genuine relationships with the poor, we rob them of their dignity and they become mere projects. And God did not intend for anyone to become our projects." Grateful this quote from my book, Overrated, is resonating with so many folks - individuals and  NGOs. / design by @preemptivelove .
May we keep working
on ourselves
even as we seek
to change the world.
To be about the latter
without the former
is the great temptation
of our times. Minhee and I are filled with gratitude as we reflect on the @onedayswages gala last night. So many friends and guests came to support our work...and of course, our scrappy staff, interns, and board. In 8 years, we've impacted 561,000 people around the world that are living in extreme poverty and vulnerable situations. This year, we are expecting to have our largest investment of grants at $1.3 million! Over the next couple weeks, I'm going to share some of those stories of impact.

But we need your help to keep growing this work. Because our pledge is for 100% of all donations to go directly to our partnerships, we're asking folks from around the world to consider becoming one of core supporters by simply pledging $25/month to support our operations. Go to give.onedayswages.org for more info.

photo: @vinylee