dream travel destination

09places600_1.jpg

I love traveling.  Prior to marriage and parenthood, I traveled to nearly every state and about a dozen countries.  While having children is a great blessing, it impacts our ability to travel for various reasons.  Traveling is wonderful for many reasons but it’s also important in helping shape our worldviews.  It’s refreshing and vital to know that the world is a bigger place than what we know.

The New York Times last Sunday had an INCREDIBLE article entitled, 53 Places to Go in 2008…

What’s on your travel itinerary in the new year? From a new luxury hotel in Laos (where you can take in the view of ancient temples from a chaise lounge by the infinity pool) to the waterfront night clubs of Hvar (the St. Tropez of Croatia) to Death Valley (where recent heavy rains have some flower bloggers speculating on a dazzling spring bloom next year), the travel choices for global nomads have never been more varied.

You must read the entire piece and a glimpse of all 53 places.  Click HERE for the text article and HERE for the interactive graphic version.

So, let’s pretend finances and time isn’t an issue.  Share your answer to this question:

If you could travel anywhere in the world for one month, where would you go and why?

As some of you know, it’s my hope to be traveling next summer during my sabbatical.  The family and I are committed to one place thus far.  We’ll be visiting Korea to spend some time with Minhee’s mother.

Our other travel plans are very contingent on a grant I am applying for.  This grant is specifically designed for pastors and their sabbaticals.  As you can assume, it’s also highly competitive as they only extend about 30 grants/year.  If we get this grant, we are hoping to travel to about 10 countries – in hopes of visiting people and organizations that are working and building sustainable ways to fight global poverty…Folks tackling issues of hunger and nutrition, disease, AIDS, water, education, amongst other areas.  Are there places and/or organizations you personally know [or you’ve visited yourself] you’d recommend?

Filed under: travel

1. andrew says:

I’d love to take a month and tour around Australia and New Zealand. No particular reason except that I’ve never been remotely close to that part of the world.

2. leochen says:

Visited Malang and Bali of Indonesia a few years ago. Beautiful country! And cheap once you get there. Not the safest place in the world, but there’s always the Canadian-flag-on-the-back-pack thing you can do for the whole family. =)

3. rexhamilton says:

There are two places that come to mind: One would be Greece for the best food in the world and the ancient ruins. Second would be Swaziland, Africa where I just spent 2 weeks working with some local pastors. The friendliest people I’ve ever encountered and so much opportunity for hope and healing there.

4. Dan says:

Eugene,

I had a chance to visit South Africa a few years ago and visited the work at the orphanages in God’s Acre. Truly amazing stuff.

I’d recommend visiting South Africa…

5. capt Ralph says:

I have been blessed with visiting about 10 of the 53. I support and wish your family all the best in that sabbatical and important travel. I want to be the first (I am sure others will as well) to suggest visiting the Reghettas in St Petersburg. WOW

6. Kacie says:

have you looked into the Blood Water mission that Jars of Clay is involved with? I’ve heard good things.

If you’re interested in microlending, I can point you towards one that a pastor at my church from Chicago has joined with.

I would always like to go “home” to Indonesia, but other then that I have always wanted to travel through the Alps… Northern Italy, Switzerland, Germany…. One day. 🙂

7. pdxWoman says:

Pastor Cho:

I know a Christian Congolese naturopathic doctor (trained here in the NW), who returned to Africa to start a clinic. He felt naturopathic care would provide the same level of medical assistance, but was more culturally appropriate for his people. If that’s the sort of thing you’re looking into, let me know and I’ll get his contact info for you.

pdxwoman [{AT}] gmail [{DOHT}] com

8. Ben C says:

I just took about a month traveling to Barcelona (Spain), Roma (Italy), and Mykonos & Athens (Greece) recently. I could live in Barcelona which says a lot.

The next place I’d like to visit is Brazil (Sao Paulo, Rio), head back to Seoul, and then go someplace crazy remote in Africa.

Love talking about traveling! Might like it just as much as actually doing it!

9. dcruzin says:

I would love to go to Europe. I’ve been talking to a friend about going to Spain sometime this year, we’ll see where we end up going. I’ve never been to Europe, so ideally I’d spend a month there with some friends and tour around a ton of different countries like Spain, Italy, Greece, France, England, Germany, Switzerland, and more :).

Realistically, this year I’ll probably go to Japan once to visit Nick, and hopefully either somewhere in South America (Argentina?) or Europe as well. I wish the US dollar wasn’t so weak right now..

There are so many places in the US I haven’t been to (like all of the Northeast) so I hope to at least go to NYC next year, too. I totally have a similar dream of wanting to roadtrip around the US, though probably not in an RV and instead with a tent/sleeping bag to camp in all the National Parks.

I love Seattle, PE, but I love travelling, too. Always great to have new places to take photos. Then I could really beef up my current photo collection at my new site I was telling you about: http://dcruzinphotography.com

10. tayloramiles says:

There is no doubt I would got and do annother trek in Nepal. Nepal has amazing culture, Natural beauty, People, food. Its very difficult to describe.

11. Rebecca says:

Currently I am super excited to go back to Europe. I would start in France or Spain and work my way across southern Europe and the Mediterranean. I’ve always wanted to go see Italy and Greece. And if I made it over to Eastern Europe and put my fading Russian skills to use, that would be cool too.

Another great trip would be a road trip up (or down) the east coast. Especially in fall, with the great colors.

I agree with Darwin-I LOVE Seattle but love travelling as well. But this will always be home. I always feel a sense of satisfaction when the plane touches down at SeaTac. 🙂

Grateful. Still reflecting on the letters that I've received from classmates and students that have come before me and after me. Never imagined all that God would have in store for me. Lots of humbling things but in the midst of them, there were literally thousands upon thousands of daily decisions and choices to be faithful. That's what matters. Seen or unseen. Noticed or unnoticed. You do your best and sometimes you stumble and fumble along but nevertheless, seeking to be faithful.

Also, you know you're getting old when your school honors you with a Distinguished Alumni Award. Lol. 47 is the new 27. Or something like that. Here's to the next 47. In our culture, we can be so obsessed with the "spectacular" or "glamorous." The Church often engagws in thia language and paradigm...but what if God has called many of us to small, ordinary things?

Will we still be faithful?
Will we still go about such things with great love and joy?

I recently came across this picture taken by @mattylew, one of our church staff...and I started tearing up: This is my mother; in her 70s; with realities of some disabilities that make it difficult for her to stand up and sit down...but here she is on her knees and prostate in prayer. She doesn't have any social media accounts, barely knows how to use her smartphone, doesn't have a platform, hasn't written a book, doesn't have any titles in our church, isn't listed as a leader or an expert or a consultant or a guru. But she simply seeks to do her best - by God's grace - to be faithful to God. She prays for hours every day inteceding for our family, our church, and the larger world.

Even if we're not noticed or celebrated or elevated...let's be faithful. Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant. And not even successful in the eyes of the world.

Be faithful. Amen. #notetoself (and maybe helpful for someone else)

At times, we have to say ‘NO’ to good things to say ‘YES’ to the most important things.

We can't do it all.
Pray and choose wisely.
Then invest deeply. May our compassion not just be limited to the West or to those that look like us. Lifting up the people of Iraq, Iran, and Kurdistan in prayer after the 7.3 earthquake - including the many new friends I met on a recent trip to Iraq.

The death toll rises to over 400 and over 7,000 injured in multiple cities and hundreds of villages along the Western border with Iraq.

Lord, in your mercy... We are reminded again and again...that we are Resurrection People living in a Dark Friday world.

It's been a tough, emotional, and painful week - especially as we lament the horrible tragedy of the church shootings at Sutherland Springs. In the midst of this lament, I've been carried by the hope, beauty, and promise of our baptisms last Sunday and the raw and honest testimonies of God's mercy, love, and grace.

Indeed, God is not yet done. May we take heart for Christ has overcome the world. "Without genuine relationships with the poor, we rob them of their dignity and they become mere projects. And God did not intend for anyone to become our projects." Grateful this quote from my book, Overrated, is resonating with so many folks - individuals and  NGOs. / design by @preemptivelove