dream travel destination

09places600_1.jpg

I love traveling.  Prior to marriage and parenthood, I traveled to nearly every state and about a dozen countries.  While having children is a great blessing, it impacts our ability to travel for various reasons.  Traveling is wonderful for many reasons but it’s also important in helping shape our worldviews.  It’s refreshing and vital to know that the world is a bigger place than what we know.

The New York Times last Sunday had an INCREDIBLE article entitled, 53 Places to Go in 2008…

What’s on your travel itinerary in the new year? From a new luxury hotel in Laos (where you can take in the view of ancient temples from a chaise lounge by the infinity pool) to the waterfront night clubs of Hvar (the St. Tropez of Croatia) to Death Valley (where recent heavy rains have some flower bloggers speculating on a dazzling spring bloom next year), the travel choices for global nomads have never been more varied.

You must read the entire piece and a glimpse of all 53 places.  Click HERE for the text article and HERE for the interactive graphic version.

So, let’s pretend finances and time isn’t an issue.  Share your answer to this question:

If you could travel anywhere in the world for one month, where would you go and why?

As some of you know, it’s my hope to be traveling next summer during my sabbatical.  The family and I are committed to one place thus far.  We’ll be visiting Korea to spend some time with Minhee’s mother.

Our other travel plans are very contingent on a grant I am applying for.  This grant is specifically designed for pastors and their sabbaticals.  As you can assume, it’s also highly competitive as they only extend about 30 grants/year.  If we get this grant, we are hoping to travel to about 10 countries – in hopes of visiting people and organizations that are working and building sustainable ways to fight global poverty…Folks tackling issues of hunger and nutrition, disease, AIDS, water, education, amongst other areas.  Are there places and/or organizations you personally know [or you’ve visited yourself] you’d recommend?

Filed under: travel

1. andrew says:

I’d love to take a month and tour around Australia and New Zealand. No particular reason except that I’ve never been remotely close to that part of the world.

2. leochen says:

Visited Malang and Bali of Indonesia a few years ago. Beautiful country! And cheap once you get there. Not the safest place in the world, but there’s always the Canadian-flag-on-the-back-pack thing you can do for the whole family. =)

3. rexhamilton says:

There are two places that come to mind: One would be Greece for the best food in the world and the ancient ruins. Second would be Swaziland, Africa where I just spent 2 weeks working with some local pastors. The friendliest people I’ve ever encountered and so much opportunity for hope and healing there.

4. Dan says:

Eugene,

I had a chance to visit South Africa a few years ago and visited the work at the orphanages in God’s Acre. Truly amazing stuff.

I’d recommend visiting South Africa…

5. capt Ralph says:

I have been blessed with visiting about 10 of the 53. I support and wish your family all the best in that sabbatical and important travel. I want to be the first (I am sure others will as well) to suggest visiting the Reghettas in St Petersburg. WOW

6. Kacie says:

have you looked into the Blood Water mission that Jars of Clay is involved with? I’ve heard good things.

If you’re interested in microlending, I can point you towards one that a pastor at my church from Chicago has joined with.

I would always like to go “home” to Indonesia, but other then that I have always wanted to travel through the Alps… Northern Italy, Switzerland, Germany…. One day. 🙂

7. pdxWoman says:

Pastor Cho:

I know a Christian Congolese naturopathic doctor (trained here in the NW), who returned to Africa to start a clinic. He felt naturopathic care would provide the same level of medical assistance, but was more culturally appropriate for his people. If that’s the sort of thing you’re looking into, let me know and I’ll get his contact info for you.

pdxwoman [{AT}] gmail [{DOHT}] com

8. Ben C says:

I just took about a month traveling to Barcelona (Spain), Roma (Italy), and Mykonos & Athens (Greece) recently. I could live in Barcelona which says a lot.

The next place I’d like to visit is Brazil (Sao Paulo, Rio), head back to Seoul, and then go someplace crazy remote in Africa.

Love talking about traveling! Might like it just as much as actually doing it!

9. dcruzin says:

I would love to go to Europe. I’ve been talking to a friend about going to Spain sometime this year, we’ll see where we end up going. I’ve never been to Europe, so ideally I’d spend a month there with some friends and tour around a ton of different countries like Spain, Italy, Greece, France, England, Germany, Switzerland, and more :).

Realistically, this year I’ll probably go to Japan once to visit Nick, and hopefully either somewhere in South America (Argentina?) or Europe as well. I wish the US dollar wasn’t so weak right now..

There are so many places in the US I haven’t been to (like all of the Northeast) so I hope to at least go to NYC next year, too. I totally have a similar dream of wanting to roadtrip around the US, though probably not in an RV and instead with a tent/sleeping bag to camp in all the National Parks.

I love Seattle, PE, but I love travelling, too. Always great to have new places to take photos. Then I could really beef up my current photo collection at my new site I was telling you about: http://dcruzinphotography.com

10. tayloramiles says:

There is no doubt I would got and do annother trek in Nepal. Nepal has amazing culture, Natural beauty, People, food. Its very difficult to describe.

11. Rebecca says:

Currently I am super excited to go back to Europe. I would start in France or Spain and work my way across southern Europe and the Mediterranean. I’ve always wanted to go see Italy and Greece. And if I made it over to Eastern Europe and put my fading Russian skills to use, that would be cool too.

Another great trip would be a road trip up (or down) the east coast. Especially in fall, with the great colors.

I agree with Darwin-I LOVE Seattle but love travelling as well. But this will always be home. I always feel a sense of satisfaction when the plane touches down at SeaTac. 🙂

Preach the Gospel at all times and sometimes...use signs.

Really loved this sign from one of our church congregants at the women's march.

Counter cultural. Subversive.
Life giving. Good news. To support both the equality of women and the dignity of the unborn feels like a very lonely place to be but I know we're not alone. May we press on. And may we lead with hope.

I'm at the Women's March in Seattle to show my solidarity with my wife, my mothers, my daughters, and the female congregants of my church. I'm also here to model for my son what we believe in our home. Many people have already expressed their disappointment, dismay, and disgust with my decision. Such is life. We will always disappoint someone. And that's also a lot of words that begin with "d." I'm here not because I agree or disagree with every single statement or sign at this march (although I really liked this one) but because as a Christian, I believe in the fundamental truth that women are fearfully and wonderfully made in the image of God. They are to be valued, heard, and respected.

And because I believe we can't be a flourishing society without the flourishing of women. And because the Church cannot be the Church without the gifts and voices of women. All the gifts of women.

And in doing so, may we together honor the sanctity of life - from womb to tomb. Collaboration.

col·lab·o·ra·tion
kəˌlabəˈrāSH(ə)n/
noun

the action of working with someone or a group of others  to produce or create something.

May we hold our logos, egos, and tribalism have their place. May we hold them loosely for they too shall pass. May we collaborate for the sake of the greater Kingdom of God ... which endures forever. As we honor Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., don't forget the God behind the man. The one true God who deposited this dream into MLK is still speaking to us today. Are we listening?

Be courageous. Be brave.

Being invited by the King Family to speak at the MLK worship service at Ebenezer Baptist Church in 2016 remains one of the most unexpected honors of my life. On the right is his daughter, Dr. Bernice King and his sister, Dr. Christine King Farris. Walking throughstreet markets in different parts of the world is the best. Soaking in the culture. Listening to the local language and music. Enjoying the amazing cuisine. Meeting new friends. Praying for the Gospel to penetrate. #ChiangRai Blessed be the local, indigenous leaders for it is they who live in the very communities they seek to love. For it is they who understand their context and culture...better than a Westerner ever will. For it is they who will continue to tenaciously pursue a better world with hope, justice and love when visitors like me leave.

Yes, blessed be the local, indigenous leaders.

• Preach the Gospel at all times and sometimes...use signs. Countercultural. Subversive. Life giving. Truth. - instagram.com/p/BPlwJneBSiW/ || 4 hours ago
  • Really loved this sign from the women's march from one of our church congregants. Counter cultural. Subversive. L… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 1 day ago
  • To support both the equality of women & the dignity of the unborn can be lonely but we're not alone. Lead with hope: instagram.com/p/BPjMGTOhMjL/ || 1 day ago
  • To support both the equality of women & the dignity of the unborn feels like a very lonely place to be but we're not alone. May we press on. || 1 day ago
  • Going to the Women's March in Seattle bc as a Christian, I believe women are fearfully and wonderfully made and are to be heard & respected. || 1 day ago
  • Christians: May we be guided by the Scriptures that remind us, "Seek first the Kingdom of God" and not, "Seek first the kingdom of America." || 1 day ago