dream travel destination

09places600_1.jpg

I love traveling.  Prior to marriage and parenthood, I traveled to nearly every state and about a dozen countries.  While having children is a great blessing, it impacts our ability to travel for various reasons.  Traveling is wonderful for many reasons but it’s also important in helping shape our worldviews.  It’s refreshing and vital to know that the world is a bigger place than what we know.

The New York Times last Sunday had an INCREDIBLE article entitled, 53 Places to Go in 2008…

What’s on your travel itinerary in the new year? From a new luxury hotel in Laos (where you can take in the view of ancient temples from a chaise lounge by the infinity pool) to the waterfront night clubs of Hvar (the St. Tropez of Croatia) to Death Valley (where recent heavy rains have some flower bloggers speculating on a dazzling spring bloom next year), the travel choices for global nomads have never been more varied.

You must read the entire piece and a glimpse of all 53 places.  Click HERE for the text article and HERE for the interactive graphic version.

So, let’s pretend finances and time isn’t an issue.  Share your answer to this question:

If you could travel anywhere in the world for one month, where would you go and why?

As some of you know, it’s my hope to be traveling next summer during my sabbatical.  The family and I are committed to one place thus far.  We’ll be visiting Korea to spend some time with Minhee’s mother.

Our other travel plans are very contingent on a grant I am applying for.  This grant is specifically designed for pastors and their sabbaticals.  As you can assume, it’s also highly competitive as they only extend about 30 grants/year.  If we get this grant, we are hoping to travel to about 10 countries – in hopes of visiting people and organizations that are working and building sustainable ways to fight global poverty…Folks tackling issues of hunger and nutrition, disease, AIDS, water, education, amongst other areas.  Are there places and/or organizations you personally know [or you’ve visited yourself] you’d recommend?

Filed under: travel

1. andrew says:

I’d love to take a month and tour around Australia and New Zealand. No particular reason except that I’ve never been remotely close to that part of the world.

2. leochen says:

Visited Malang and Bali of Indonesia a few years ago. Beautiful country! And cheap once you get there. Not the safest place in the world, but there’s always the Canadian-flag-on-the-back-pack thing you can do for the whole family. =)

3. rexhamilton says:

There are two places that come to mind: One would be Greece for the best food in the world and the ancient ruins. Second would be Swaziland, Africa where I just spent 2 weeks working with some local pastors. The friendliest people I’ve ever encountered and so much opportunity for hope and healing there.

4. Dan says:

Eugene,

I had a chance to visit South Africa a few years ago and visited the work at the orphanages in God’s Acre. Truly amazing stuff.

I’d recommend visiting South Africa…

5. capt Ralph says:

I have been blessed with visiting about 10 of the 53. I support and wish your family all the best in that sabbatical and important travel. I want to be the first (I am sure others will as well) to suggest visiting the Reghettas in St Petersburg. WOW

6. Kacie says:

have you looked into the Blood Water mission that Jars of Clay is involved with? I’ve heard good things.

If you’re interested in microlending, I can point you towards one that a pastor at my church from Chicago has joined with.

I would always like to go “home” to Indonesia, but other then that I have always wanted to travel through the Alps… Northern Italy, Switzerland, Germany…. One day. 🙂

7. pdxWoman says:

Pastor Cho:

I know a Christian Congolese naturopathic doctor (trained here in the NW), who returned to Africa to start a clinic. He felt naturopathic care would provide the same level of medical assistance, but was more culturally appropriate for his people. If that’s the sort of thing you’re looking into, let me know and I’ll get his contact info for you.

pdxwoman [{AT}] gmail [{DOHT}] com

8. Ben C says:

I just took about a month traveling to Barcelona (Spain), Roma (Italy), and Mykonos & Athens (Greece) recently. I could live in Barcelona which says a lot.

The next place I’d like to visit is Brazil (Sao Paulo, Rio), head back to Seoul, and then go someplace crazy remote in Africa.

Love talking about traveling! Might like it just as much as actually doing it!

9. dcruzin says:

I would love to go to Europe. I’ve been talking to a friend about going to Spain sometime this year, we’ll see where we end up going. I’ve never been to Europe, so ideally I’d spend a month there with some friends and tour around a ton of different countries like Spain, Italy, Greece, France, England, Germany, Switzerland, and more :).

Realistically, this year I’ll probably go to Japan once to visit Nick, and hopefully either somewhere in South America (Argentina?) or Europe as well. I wish the US dollar wasn’t so weak right now..

There are so many places in the US I haven’t been to (like all of the Northeast) so I hope to at least go to NYC next year, too. I totally have a similar dream of wanting to roadtrip around the US, though probably not in an RV and instead with a tent/sleeping bag to camp in all the National Parks.

I love Seattle, PE, but I love travelling, too. Always great to have new places to take photos. Then I could really beef up my current photo collection at my new site I was telling you about: http://dcruzinphotography.com

10. tayloramiles says:

There is no doubt I would got and do annother trek in Nepal. Nepal has amazing culture, Natural beauty, People, food. Its very difficult to describe.

11. Rebecca says:

Currently I am super excited to go back to Europe. I would start in France or Spain and work my way across southern Europe and the Mediterranean. I’ve always wanted to go see Italy and Greece. And if I made it over to Eastern Europe and put my fading Russian skills to use, that would be cool too.

Another great trip would be a road trip up (or down) the east coast. Especially in fall, with the great colors.

I agree with Darwin-I LOVE Seattle but love travelling as well. But this will always be home. I always feel a sense of satisfaction when the plane touches down at SeaTac. 🙂

"He must become greater; I must become less." - John 3:30 We have to remind ourselves of this truth every day lest we forget:

Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant.

Be faithful.

PS: Also, it helps to get some Vitamin D especially if you live in the rainy Northwest Thank you, Brooklyn, for the reminder. Umm, @jlin7 is a Christian but he wasn't very Christlike with me on the basketball court. He muscled me into the paint, dunked on me, mentioned my momma, and then said, "Stick with preaching." Just kidding. Kind of.

If you haven't heard, Jeremy Lin is donating his one games wages (approximately $140,000) and an additional $100 for every 3 pointer made to support Girls' Empowerment and Education through @onedayswages. That game is this Friday vs the Boston Celtics!

Join his campaign as he's inviting his fans to donate just $7. - http://onedayswages.org/jlin

Did you know that 32 million girls of lower secondary school age are not enrolled in school.

Did you know that every year of secondary school increases a girl’s future earning power by 20 percent.

Did you know that if all girls in Sub-Saharan Africa, South and West Asia had a secondary education, child marriage would fall by 64 percent.

We can't change the entire world but we can impact the lives of one, few, and in some cases...many.

#jeremylin #jlin #linsanity #onedayswages Don't be held captive to either praise or criticism.

Know who you are.
Know what you're about.
Know WHO you serve.

The answer to who you serve makes all the difference... It's the day after International Women's Day - and it's still important to celebrate the contribution of women in our lives, society, and world. As we honor women all around the world, I'm also reminded of how women and children are those who are most deeply impacted by injustice - especially poverty.

Sadly, I have witnessed this reality in too many places. ​In 2012, I traveled to a remote area in Eastern Kenya as part of a @onedayswages response to a famine that struck the Horn of Africa region. This famine impacted nearly 13 million people and according to some sources, took the lives of about 250,000 people. During my trip there, I had the chance of meeting many people but the person that still remains in my memory was a Muslim woman named Sahara.

She was so hospitable in inviting us to her small and temporary home. During our conversation, I learned that ​Sahara traveled 300 kilometers (a little under 200 miles) – some by cart and some by foot – as they sought to escape the worst drought that has impacted East Africa (Kenya, Somalia, and Ethiopia) in the past 60 years.

This is not a misprint.
200.

She traveled about 200 miles on cart and foot. ​And all along, she was ill. If you look closely ​at the photo, you might notice the large lump in her throat - likely a large cancerous tumor.​ She did not travel alone. She traveled with her husband who I was not able to meet because he was staying with one of his five other wives in this polygamist community.  She did not travel alone. She also traveled with her six children – the youngest being about 1 and the oldest being around 8. She had just given birth to her sixth child when they began her journey. Her youngest was severely malnourished when they arrived to this new settlement in a town called Benane.
Sahara and her children all survived this journey. They survived because she persisted.
In honor of Sahara...and so many other women who keep...keeping on.