turning seven

The aging process continues for everybody – you and I included.

Birthday blessings to our 2nd child as TC turns seven years old today.  Minhee and I are so proud and privileged to be parents to our three children.  They are sources of great joy and hope in our lives.

TC has a special place in our hearts as she was born at one of the most difficult periods of our lives.  We had left our previous church and was unsure how Quest would unfold – if at all.  Nothing I had planned seemed to be coming to fruition and I began to grow angry and questioned God’s presence and faitfulness in my life.  Around the time of TC’s birth, I had no job, no income, no insurance, no motivation, and no idea what the future would hold.   But when she was born, it was so emotional as we sensed the Holy Spirit communicating to us that God hadn’t forsaken us…

Two weeks after she was born, we hosted the first info gathering at our home and began a weekly community group in January 2001.  In In the first few months of planting Quest Church, I still remember preaching on Sundays with TC on my back.   How fast time flies.

trinitysmiling.jpg

Filed under: family

1. Ryan Roberts says:

Mr. Cho,

Thanks for your blog. I read it regularly and often find your posts enlightening and encouraging.
    What a cutie you have there.
    I am an Idahoan living in Daejeon, South Korea. My wife and I have two daughters, ages 13 and 11 and time surely does fly. Savor the moments. We are enjoying our days here living and working in South Korea.
    Keep up the good work.
    Ryan Roberts

2. Kris says:

What a cutie she is! Your story reminds me a bit of Scot and my story in that just days after the birth of our first child, Laura, Scot came home from work and told me he had lost his job. (Long story, but he was working at a factory that made plastic cups, and he basically broke the machine that he was in charge of to the tune of many thousands of dollars. Clearly machine work was not his gifting.) It was the first week after Laura’s birth and Scot was in seminary. It had to be all up hill after that, huh?
    Blessings on your little girl.

3. Jean says:

Happy Birthday to your little one. My youngest just turned two in November.

🙂

4. insipid "g" says:

happy birthday!!!
    tell your dad to reimburse me for that first gathering pizza i bought!

5. Wayne Park says:

THis… sounds familiar.. and encouraging.. DId you write this post for us up at Bellingham?

6. Carol says:

Happy Birthday T! 🙂 enjoy your day & thanks for all your lovely, bright smiles :)!!

7. so cute!!! and i’m sure we’re not all just saying that out of politeness!

that sounds very similar to our church situation (kinda hard to trust God when we have all these expectations of where we “should” be). but God has not forgotten us…

8. bolim says:

Happy B-day to TC! Looks like mom there. Micah arrived (unplanned) 2nd year of my PhD program (w/o scholarship I might add), 1st year teaching at North Park, and me as the sole bread winner b/c Sarah quit teaching to stay home (and I was hoping she was going to pay my through school!). Seems they often do not arrive at times convenient for us. That reminds me, Sarah is due any day now.

Preach the Gospel at all times and sometimes...use signs.

Really loved this sign from one of our church congregants at the women's march.

Counter cultural. Subversive.
Life giving. Good news. To support both the equality of women and the dignity of the unborn feels like a very lonely place to be but I know we're not alone. May we press on. And may we lead with hope.

I'm at the Women's March in Seattle to show my solidarity with my wife, my mothers, my daughters, and the female congregants of my church. I'm also here to model for my son what we believe in our home. Many people have already expressed their disappointment, dismay, and disgust with my decision. Such is life. We will always disappoint someone. And that's also a lot of words that begin with "d." I'm here not because I agree or disagree with every single statement or sign at this march (although I really liked this one) but because as a Christian, I believe in the fundamental truth that women are fearfully and wonderfully made in the image of God. They are to be valued, heard, and respected.

And because I believe we can't be a flourishing society without the flourishing of women. And because the Church cannot be the Church without the gifts and voices of women. All the gifts of women.

And in doing so, may we together honor the sanctity of life - from womb to tomb. Collaboration.

col·lab·o·ra·tion
kəˌlabəˈrāSH(ə)n/
noun

the action of working with someone or a group of others  to produce or create something.

May we hold our logos, egos, and tribalism have their place. May we hold them loosely for they too shall pass. May we collaborate for the sake of the greater Kingdom of God ... which endures forever. As we honor Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., don't forget the God behind the man. The one true God who deposited this dream into MLK is still speaking to us today. Are we listening?

Be courageous. Be brave.

Being invited by the King Family to speak at the MLK worship service at Ebenezer Baptist Church in 2016 remains one of the most unexpected honors of my life. On the right is his daughter, Dr. Bernice King and his sister, Dr. Christine King Farris. Walking throughstreet markets in different parts of the world is the best. Soaking in the culture. Listening to the local language and music. Enjoying the amazing cuisine. Meeting new friends. Praying for the Gospel to penetrate. #ChiangRai Blessed be the local, indigenous leaders for it is they who live in the very communities they seek to love. For it is they who understand their context and culture...better than a Westerner ever will. For it is they who will continue to tenaciously pursue a better world with hope, justice and love when visitors like me leave.

Yes, blessed be the local, indigenous leaders.

• Preach the Gospel at all times and sometimes...use signs. Countercultural. Subversive. Life giving. Truth. - instagram.com/p/BPlwJneBSiW/ || 4 hours ago
  • Really loved this sign from the women's march from one of our church congregants. Counter cultural. Subversive. L… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 1 day ago
  • To support both the equality of women & the dignity of the unborn can be lonely but we're not alone. Lead with hope: instagram.com/p/BPjMGTOhMjL/ || 1 day ago
  • To support both the equality of women & the dignity of the unborn feels like a very lonely place to be but we're not alone. May we press on. || 1 day ago
  • Going to the Women's March in Seattle bc as a Christian, I believe women are fearfully and wonderfully made and are to be heard & respected. || 1 day ago
  • Christians: May we be guided by the Scriptures that remind us, "Seek first the Kingdom of God" and not, "Seek first the kingdom of America." || 1 day ago