turning seven

The aging process continues for everybody – you and I included.

Birthday blessings to our 2nd child as TC turns seven years old today.  Minhee and I are so proud and privileged to be parents to our three children.  They are sources of great joy and hope in our lives.

TC has a special place in our hearts as she was born at one of the most difficult periods of our lives.  We had left our previous church and was unsure how Quest would unfold – if at all.  Nothing I had planned seemed to be coming to fruition and I began to grow angry and questioned God’s presence and faitfulness in my life.  Around the time of TC’s birth, I had no job, no income, no insurance, no motivation, and no idea what the future would hold.   But when she was born, it was so emotional as we sensed the Holy Spirit communicating to us that God hadn’t forsaken us…

Two weeks after she was born, we hosted the first info gathering at our home and began a weekly community group in January 2001.  In In the first few months of planting Quest Church, I still remember preaching on Sundays with TC on my back.   How fast time flies.

trinitysmiling.jpg

Filed under: family

1. Ryan Roberts says:

Mr. Cho,

Thanks for your blog. I read it regularly and often find your posts enlightening and encouraging.
    What a cutie you have there.
    I am an Idahoan living in Daejeon, South Korea. My wife and I have two daughters, ages 13 and 11 and time surely does fly. Savor the moments. We are enjoying our days here living and working in South Korea.
    Keep up the good work.
    Ryan Roberts

2. Kris says:

What a cutie she is! Your story reminds me a bit of Scot and my story in that just days after the birth of our first child, Laura, Scot came home from work and told me he had lost his job. (Long story, but he was working at a factory that made plastic cups, and he basically broke the machine that he was in charge of to the tune of many thousands of dollars. Clearly machine work was not his gifting.) It was the first week after Laura’s birth and Scot was in seminary. It had to be all up hill after that, huh?
    Blessings on your little girl.

3. Jean says:

Happy Birthday to your little one. My youngest just turned two in November.

🙂

4. insipid "g" says:

happy birthday!!!
    tell your dad to reimburse me for that first gathering pizza i bought!

5. Wayne Park says:

THis… sounds familiar.. and encouraging.. DId you write this post for us up at Bellingham?

6. Carol says:

Happy Birthday T! 🙂 enjoy your day & thanks for all your lovely, bright smiles :)!!

7. so cute!!! and i’m sure we’re not all just saying that out of politeness!

that sounds very similar to our church situation (kinda hard to trust God when we have all these expectations of where we “should” be). but God has not forgotten us…

8. bolim says:

Happy B-day to TC! Looks like mom there. Micah arrived (unplanned) 2nd year of my PhD program (w/o scholarship I might add), 1st year teaching at North Park, and me as the sole bread winner b/c Sarah quit teaching to stay home (and I was hoping she was going to pay my through school!). Seems they often do not arrive at times convenient for us. That reminds me, Sarah is due any day now.

"He must become greater; I must become less." - John 3:30 We have to remind ourselves of this truth every day lest we forget:

Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant.

Be faithful.

PS: Also, it helps to get some Vitamin D especially if you live in the rainy Northwest Thank you, Brooklyn, for the reminder. Umm, @jlin7 is a Christian but he wasn't very Christlike with me on the basketball court. He muscled me into the paint, dunked on me, mentioned my momma, and then said, "Stick with preaching." Just kidding. Kind of.

If you haven't heard, Jeremy Lin is donating his one games wages (approximately $140,000) and an additional $100 for every 3 pointer made to support Girls' Empowerment and Education through @onedayswages. That game is this Friday vs the Boston Celtics!

Join his campaign as he's inviting his fans to donate just $7. - http://onedayswages.org/jlin

Did you know that 32 million girls of lower secondary school age are not enrolled in school.

Did you know that every year of secondary school increases a girl’s future earning power by 20 percent.

Did you know that if all girls in Sub-Saharan Africa, South and West Asia had a secondary education, child marriage would fall by 64 percent.

We can't change the entire world but we can impact the lives of one, few, and in some cases...many.

#jeremylin #jlin #linsanity #onedayswages Don't be held captive to either praise or criticism.

Know who you are.
Know what you're about.
Know WHO you serve.

The answer to who you serve makes all the difference... It's the day after International Women's Day - and it's still important to celebrate the contribution of women in our lives, society, and world. As we honor women all around the world, I'm also reminded of how women and children are those who are most deeply impacted by injustice - especially poverty.

Sadly, I have witnessed this reality in too many places. ​In 2012, I traveled to a remote area in Eastern Kenya as part of a @onedayswages response to a famine that struck the Horn of Africa region. This famine impacted nearly 13 million people and according to some sources, took the lives of about 250,000 people. During my trip there, I had the chance of meeting many people but the person that still remains in my memory was a Muslim woman named Sahara.

She was so hospitable in inviting us to her small and temporary home. During our conversation, I learned that ​Sahara traveled 300 kilometers (a little under 200 miles) – some by cart and some by foot – as they sought to escape the worst drought that has impacted East Africa (Kenya, Somalia, and Ethiopia) in the past 60 years.

This is not a misprint.
200.

She traveled about 200 miles on cart and foot. ​And all along, she was ill. If you look closely ​at the photo, you might notice the large lump in her throat - likely a large cancerous tumor.​ She did not travel alone. She traveled with her husband who I was not able to meet because he was staying with one of his five other wives in this polygamist community.  She did not travel alone. She also traveled with her six children – the youngest being about 1 and the oldest being around 8. She had just given birth to her sixth child when they began her journey. Her youngest was severely malnourished when they arrived to this new settlement in a town called Benane.
Sahara and her children all survived this journey. They survived because she persisted.
In honor of Sahara...and so many other women who keep...keeping on.