turning seven

The aging process continues for everybody – you and I included.

Birthday blessings to our 2nd child as TC turns seven years old today.  Minhee and I are so proud and privileged to be parents to our three children.  They are sources of great joy and hope in our lives.

TC has a special place in our hearts as she was born at one of the most difficult periods of our lives.  We had left our previous church and was unsure how Quest would unfold – if at all.  Nothing I had planned seemed to be coming to fruition and I began to grow angry and questioned God’s presence and faitfulness in my life.  Around the time of TC’s birth, I had no job, no income, no insurance, no motivation, and no idea what the future would hold.   But when she was born, it was so emotional as we sensed the Holy Spirit communicating to us that God hadn’t forsaken us…

Two weeks after she was born, we hosted the first info gathering at our home and began a weekly community group in January 2001.  In In the first few months of planting Quest Church, I still remember preaching on Sundays with TC on my back.   How fast time flies.

trinitysmiling.jpg

Filed under: family

1. Ryan Roberts says:

Mr. Cho,

Thanks for your blog. I read it regularly and often find your posts enlightening and encouraging.
    What a cutie you have there.
    I am an Idahoan living in Daejeon, South Korea. My wife and I have two daughters, ages 13 and 11 and time surely does fly. Savor the moments. We are enjoying our days here living and working in South Korea.
    Keep up the good work.
    Ryan Roberts

2. Kris says:

What a cutie she is! Your story reminds me a bit of Scot and my story in that just days after the birth of our first child, Laura, Scot came home from work and told me he had lost his job. (Long story, but he was working at a factory that made plastic cups, and he basically broke the machine that he was in charge of to the tune of many thousands of dollars. Clearly machine work was not his gifting.) It was the first week after Laura’s birth and Scot was in seminary. It had to be all up hill after that, huh?
    Blessings on your little girl.

3. Jean says:

Happy Birthday to your little one. My youngest just turned two in November.

🙂

4. insipid "g" says:

happy birthday!!!
    tell your dad to reimburse me for that first gathering pizza i bought!

5. Wayne Park says:

THis… sounds familiar.. and encouraging.. DId you write this post for us up at Bellingham?

6. Carol says:

Happy Birthday T! 🙂 enjoy your day & thanks for all your lovely, bright smiles :)!!

7. so cute!!! and i’m sure we’re not all just saying that out of politeness!

that sounds very similar to our church situation (kinda hard to trust God when we have all these expectations of where we “should” be). but God has not forgotten us…

8. bolim says:

Happy B-day to TC! Looks like mom there. Micah arrived (unplanned) 2nd year of my PhD program (w/o scholarship I might add), 1st year teaching at North Park, and me as the sole bread winner b/c Sarah quit teaching to stay home (and I was hoping she was going to pay my through school!). Seems they often do not arrive at times convenient for us. That reminds me, Sarah is due any day now.

Window seat. For the win. As leaders, we must not see ministry and family as competing commitments.  We must not sacrifice our marriage and kids for the sake of "ministry." How can we? Loving our families IS ministry & good leadership.

And on a side note, we took this goofy photo for Mother's Day last Sunday at @seattlequest. I was shocked! What in the world happened to our kids? Our 13 year old son blocked four of my shots on the basketball court yesterday. He's since been grounded... I fear that we ask God to move mountains, forgetting that God also wants to move us.

In fact, it's possible that we are that mountain. Time flies. The eldest is wrapping up her 1st year in college and the college tours have begun for the 2nd child. The youngest enters high school in the Fall. Can't say enough about how proud Minhee and I are of the kids - not just of their accomplishments but the people they are and are becoming.

But...man...we can't wait to party it up when we're emptynesters. Party at our house. It's going to be epic. Humbled. Grateful. Mindful of God's grace and faithfulness in my life. It's all grace... It's an unexpected honor to be invited back - even with some mini-drama - to @princetonseminary to receive the 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award - exactly 25 years after starting my journey there as a student in 1992. Wow.

Princeton isn't necessarily for everyone. And to say that I loved everything about my experience would be misleading but it was very formative. Ir challenged me to examine why I believed in what I believed. It reminded me that God could handle my questions. It prepared me for a post-Christian context where I am not entitled to be heard but I had to earn the right to be heard, and of course, it taught me that all is good with a Philly cheese steak at Hoagie Haven.

No one is an island to themselves and I am certainly an example of that. Many people - women and men, young and old, and of many backgrounds - prayed, encouraged, mentored, and loved me along the way. Grateful for my professors at seminary, my many classmates, and the numerous fellow staff and co-laborers I've had the privilege of serving Christ with past and present. And of course, I'm forever inspired by my parents, my children, and my wife, Minhee. Thank you for your faith, hope, and love...and oh, for your patience. Only your family will know and see both the best and worst of you. They've seen my worst...and keep on believing in me.

Thank you again, PTS and President Barnes, for this honor. Then, today, and tomorrow...by God's grace, just striving to be faithful to my Lord and Savior...to preach and live out the convictions of the whole Gospel. Amen. So humbled and grateful to be with @catalystleader in Cincinnati to encourage leaders from all around the country about the invitation to Uncommon Fellowship.

Preached from John 4. We can talk, preach, sing, philsophize, liturgize, and spit rhymes about Samaria...but we still have to talk through Samaria.

• "They got money for wars but can't feed the poor." ~ Tupac #trumpbudget || 18 hours ago
  • Heartbroken. Praying for Manchester & the UK. For those mourning loved ones. For those injured and fighting for life. Lord, in your mercy. || 2 days ago
  • Window seat. For the win. https://t.co/yG66Sm2bvu || 4 days ago
  • As leaders, we must not sacrifice our family for the sake of ministry because loving our family IS good leadership: instagram.com/p/BUVAGVwg-5z/ || 4 days ago
  • We long for a Gospel that comforts but resist the Gospel that disrupts. Having the former without the latter seduces us into complacency. || 4 days ago
  • Love wins in the end but in the meanwhile,it fights for things that matter. Love isn't sentimental. It's both gentle & fierce. Love endures. || 5 days ago