holiday plans?

It’s the holidays.  Thanksgiving and Christmas are already here and before you know it, we’ll be ushering in 2008.  Actually, Christmas was here since mid-August at Costco which is ludicrous but that’s another story.

A simple question to the readers of this blog – in hopes that readers but non-commenters would take the plunge and share even this one tidbit of information.  It’s nothing intimidating.

What are your Thanksgiving and/or Christmas plans this year?  Who’s staying?  Who’s going where?  And if you’re staying, where is “here?”  Who’s leaving the country?  Who has the most exciting plans?

As for my family and I, I’m staying put for both Thanksgiving and Christmas which is great but might try to sneak another trip for couple nights to my faithful destination – Vancouver, British Columbia.

Filed under: family, travel

1. Tommy says:

Nothing exotic but going back to see parents in Southern California over Christmas.

2. Staying in Seattle and enjoying a relaxing dinner with siblings-in-law. Not the most exciting plans but it’ll sure be nice.

3. Dustin says:

Going over to the folks house up in Shoreline

4. (I am one of the readers but non-commenters. Okay, not frequent commenter…)

As you know, we are coming back to the US. It looks like we will live in the Chicago area. A home was found for us in Wheaton, IL, so that’s where will be for Christmas.

5. For thanksgiving we’re going to my sister-in-laws place in Gig Harbor, just our two families for their first major holiday in Washington. Christmas will see both sides of the family at our place over here on the peninsula.

6. Megan says:

Heading to my parents’ house in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Haven’t been there for 2 years, and am still not quite sure how I’m getting there (plane or car). Christmas in Seattle…up on the Snoqualmie Ridge to be specific…with boyfriend’s family.

7. Kim says:

My family (and my 2 cheesecakes, cranberry dressing, broccoli casserole and date-nut bread) will be driving an hour to my parents’ house in Watertown, CT – where we’ll join my folks, sister, brother and their families -and the kids will be in cousin-heaven! 20 people around the table, complete chaos – I look forward to this every year! 🙂

8. e cho says:

To clarify, Leonid is returning to Chicago from St. Petersburg, Russia. Are you going to visit Seattle at all?

I’m hoping for some snow here in Seattle FWIW. I miss that about the East Coast.

9. Will go out to Long Island, NY to visit sister, brother in law, niece and mom for Thanksgiving, Dad and his girlfriend at our Brooklyn apartment on Saturday. Christmas is still up in the air – we may host part of it at our place and spend the rest of the time shuttling between family homes in Brooklyn, Queens and LI.

10. Deanne says:

Staying in Good’ol Seattle. Thanksgiving in Bremerton with the bro’s family but really here for the holidays.

11. Gina says:

Thanksgiving at home in Memphis.

12. david says:

thanksgiving will be spent at the in-laws as well as my sisters, for christmas 7 kids, 10 adults, all family, will fly to reunite with other family in philly. 🙂

13. leochen says:

Tina Kim is throwing a huge binge party for Thanksgiving so I’ll be there for sure… wait, was that suppose to be secret? Christmas will be spent at work, saving lives! ha ha =)

14. Christine says:

We’ll be spending Thanksgiving with grandparents here in Oregon. Small, but sweet.

15. nick says:

This Thanksgiving I’ll be in Kyoto viewing the beautiful fall colors. And for Christmas, eating some delicious food in Hong Kong. Nothing fancy.

16. Todd says:

Heading to Chicago then to wisconsin to spend time with family (family is from chicago, we havea time share in wisconsin)…

so far the trip has been eventful… or something like that:

17. laurakt says:

I’m going to play, “tourist in my home town” and visit all the places in Seattle that I would if I were on vacation here.

18. e cho says:

nick: right…nothing fancy at all.

19. Joseon says:

i’ll be with family, maybe travel to some cool east coast states, and play with the family dog (Jindo kae!)

20. Sarah says:

Hi PE,

Just wanted to chime in and say that this is the FIRST TIME I haven’t celebrated Thanksgiving! No pumpkin pie this year, which makes me extremely depressed. No overeating either, which is a plus.

Anyway, I’m still thankful for friends and family from afar. Happy Thanksgiving!

Sarah

21. e cho says:

sarah:
    thanks for dropping by. you and joel are missed here in the northwest. be well in china. we may try to swing by next summer…

22. Essy says:

Hey PE,

I’ll be going home to the TriCities for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. I did come home early for the Apple Cup, but that was a bit of a disappointment! My family and I will be spending a week or so together for Christmas, playing games (we are REALLY into Rummikub), watching The Office (which I proudly got them hooked on during Thanksgiving break), and having a good time!

23. leochen says:

That food at Tina Kims Thanksgiving was the bomb, as in a bad bomb. Don’t cook again 😛

Window seat. For the win. As leaders, we must not see ministry and family as competing commitments.  We must not sacrifice our marriage and kids for the sake of "ministry." How can we? Loving our families IS ministry & good leadership.

And on a side note, we took this goofy photo for Mother's Day last Sunday at @seattlequest. I was shocked! What in the world happened to our kids? Our 13 year old son blocked four of my shots on the basketball court yesterday. He's since been grounded... I fear that we ask God to move mountains, forgetting that God also wants to move us.

In fact, it's possible that we are that mountain. Time flies. The eldest is wrapping up her 1st year in college and the college tours have begun for the 2nd child. The youngest enters high school in the Fall. Can't say enough about how proud Minhee and I are of the kids - not just of their accomplishments but the people they are and are becoming.

But...man...we can't wait to party it up when we're emptynesters. Party at our house. It's going to be epic. Humbled. Grateful. Mindful of God's grace and faithfulness in my life. It's all grace... It's an unexpected honor to be invited back - even with some mini-drama - to @princetonseminary to receive the 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award - exactly 25 years after starting my journey there as a student in 1992. Wow.

Princeton isn't necessarily for everyone. And to say that I loved everything about my experience would be misleading but it was very formative. Ir challenged me to examine why I believed in what I believed. It reminded me that God could handle my questions. It prepared me for a post-Christian context where I am not entitled to be heard but I had to earn the right to be heard, and of course, it taught me that all is good with a Philly cheese steak at Hoagie Haven.

No one is an island to themselves and I am certainly an example of that. Many people - women and men, young and old, and of many backgrounds - prayed, encouraged, mentored, and loved me along the way. Grateful for my professors at seminary, my many classmates, and the numerous fellow staff and co-laborers I've had the privilege of serving Christ with past and present. And of course, I'm forever inspired by my parents, my children, and my wife, Minhee. Thank you for your faith, hope, and love...and oh, for your patience. Only your family will know and see both the best and worst of you. They've seen my worst...and keep on believing in me.

Thank you again, PTS and President Barnes, for this honor. Then, today, and tomorrow...by God's grace, just striving to be faithful to my Lord and Savior...to preach and live out the convictions of the whole Gospel. Amen. So humbled and grateful to be with @catalystleader in Cincinnati to encourage leaders from all around the country about the invitation to Uncommon Fellowship.

Preached from John 4. We can talk, preach, sing, philsophize, liturgize, and spit rhymes about Samaria...but we still have to talk through Samaria.

• Heartbroken. Praying for Manchester & the UK. For those mourning loved ones. For those injured and fighting for life. Lord, in your mercy. || 1 day ago
  • Window seat. For the win. https://t.co/yG66Sm2bvu || 3 days ago
  • As leaders, we must not sacrifice our family for the sake of ministry because loving our family IS good leadership: instagram.com/p/BUVAGVwg-5z/ || 3 days ago
  • We long for a Gospel that comforts but resist the Gospel that disrupts. Having the former without the latter seduces us into complacency. || 3 days ago
  • Love wins in the end but in the meanwhile,it fights for things that matter. Love isn't sentimental. It's both gentle & fierce. Love endures. || 4 days ago
  • This is what we love to do. Empowering local, indigenous leaders to serve their own communities. Thanks for your su… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 5 days ago