holiday plans?

It’s the holidays.  Thanksgiving and Christmas are already here and before you know it, we’ll be ushering in 2008.  Actually, Christmas was here since mid-August at Costco which is ludicrous but that’s another story.

A simple question to the readers of this blog – in hopes that readers but non-commenters would take the plunge and share even this one tidbit of information.  It’s nothing intimidating.

What are your Thanksgiving and/or Christmas plans this year?  Who’s staying?  Who’s going where?  And if you’re staying, where is “here?”  Who’s leaving the country?  Who has the most exciting plans?

As for my family and I, I’m staying put for both Thanksgiving and Christmas which is great but might try to sneak another trip for couple nights to my faithful destination – Vancouver, British Columbia.

Filed under: family, travel

1. Tommy says:

Nothing exotic but going back to see parents in Southern California over Christmas.

2. Staying in Seattle and enjoying a relaxing dinner with siblings-in-law. Not the most exciting plans but it’ll sure be nice.

3. Dustin says:

Going over to the folks house up in Shoreline

4. (I am one of the readers but non-commenters. Okay, not frequent commenter…)

As you know, we are coming back to the US. It looks like we will live in the Chicago area. A home was found for us in Wheaton, IL, so that’s where will be for Christmas.

5. For thanksgiving we’re going to my sister-in-laws place in Gig Harbor, just our two families for their first major holiday in Washington. Christmas will see both sides of the family at our place over here on the peninsula.

6. Megan says:

Heading to my parents’ house in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Haven’t been there for 2 years, and am still not quite sure how I’m getting there (plane or car). Christmas in Seattle…up on the Snoqualmie Ridge to be specific…with boyfriend’s family.

7. Kim says:

My family (and my 2 cheesecakes, cranberry dressing, broccoli casserole and date-nut bread) will be driving an hour to my parents’ house in Watertown, CT – where we’ll join my folks, sister, brother and their families -and the kids will be in cousin-heaven! 20 people around the table, complete chaos – I look forward to this every year! 🙂

8. e cho says:

To clarify, Leonid is returning to Chicago from St. Petersburg, Russia. Are you going to visit Seattle at all?

I’m hoping for some snow here in Seattle FWIW. I miss that about the East Coast.

9. Will go out to Long Island, NY to visit sister, brother in law, niece and mom for Thanksgiving, Dad and his girlfriend at our Brooklyn apartment on Saturday. Christmas is still up in the air – we may host part of it at our place and spend the rest of the time shuttling between family homes in Brooklyn, Queens and LI.

10. Deanne says:

Staying in Good’ol Seattle. Thanksgiving in Bremerton with the bro’s family but really here for the holidays.

11. Gina says:

Thanksgiving at home in Memphis.

12. david says:

thanksgiving will be spent at the in-laws as well as my sisters, for christmas 7 kids, 10 adults, all family, will fly to reunite with other family in philly. 🙂

13. leochen says:

Tina Kim is throwing a huge binge party for Thanksgiving so I’ll be there for sure… wait, was that suppose to be secret? Christmas will be spent at work, saving lives! ha ha =)

14. Christine says:

We’ll be spending Thanksgiving with grandparents here in Oregon. Small, but sweet.

15. nick says:

This Thanksgiving I’ll be in Kyoto viewing the beautiful fall colors. And for Christmas, eating some delicious food in Hong Kong. Nothing fancy.

16. Todd says:

Heading to Chicago then to wisconsin to spend time with family (family is from chicago, we havea time share in wisconsin)…

so far the trip has been eventful… or something like that:

17. laurakt says:

I’m going to play, “tourist in my home town” and visit all the places in Seattle that I would if I were on vacation here.

18. e cho says:

nick: right…nothing fancy at all.

19. Joseon says:

i’ll be with family, maybe travel to some cool east coast states, and play with the family dog (Jindo kae!)

20. Sarah says:

Hi PE,

Just wanted to chime in and say that this is the FIRST TIME I haven’t celebrated Thanksgiving! No pumpkin pie this year, which makes me extremely depressed. No overeating either, which is a plus.

Anyway, I’m still thankful for friends and family from afar. Happy Thanksgiving!

Sarah

21. e cho says:

sarah:
    thanks for dropping by. you and joel are missed here in the northwest. be well in china. we may try to swing by next summer…

22. Essy says:

Hey PE,

I’ll be going home to the TriCities for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. I did come home early for the Apple Cup, but that was a bit of a disappointment! My family and I will be spending a week or so together for Christmas, playing games (we are REALLY into Rummikub), watching The Office (which I proudly got them hooked on during Thanksgiving break), and having a good time!

23. leochen says:

That food at Tina Kims Thanksgiving was the bomb, as in a bad bomb. Don’t cook again 😛

We have to remind ourselves of this truth every day lest we forget:

Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant.

Be faithful.

PS: Also, it helps to get some Vitamin D especially if you live in the rainy Northwest Thank you, Brooklyn, for the reminder. Umm, @jlin7 is a Christian but he wasn't very Christlike with me on the basketball court. He muscled me into the paint, dunked on me, mentioned my momma, and then said, "Stick with preaching." Just kidding. Kind of.

If you haven't heard, Jeremy Lin is donating his one games wages (approximately $140,000) and an additional $100 for every 3 pointer made to support Girls' Empowerment and Education through @onedayswages. That game is this Friday vs the Boston Celtics!

Join his campaign as he's inviting his fans to donate just $7. - http://onedayswages.org/jlin

Did you know that 32 million girls of lower secondary school age are not enrolled in school.

Did you know that every year of secondary school increases a girl’s future earning power by 20 percent.

Did you know that if all girls in Sub-Saharan Africa, South and West Asia had a secondary education, child marriage would fall by 64 percent.

We can't change the entire world but we can impact the lives of one, few, and in some cases...many.

#jeremylin #jlin #linsanity #onedayswages Don't be held captive to either praise or criticism.

Know who you are.
Know what you're about.
Know WHO you serve.

The answer to who you serve makes all the difference... It's the day after International Women's Day - and it's still important to celebrate the contribution of women in our lives, society, and world. As we honor women all around the world, I'm also reminded of how women and children are those who are most deeply impacted by injustice - especially poverty.

Sadly, I have witnessed this reality in too many places. ​In 2012, I traveled to a remote area in Eastern Kenya as part of a @onedayswages response to a famine that struck the Horn of Africa region. This famine impacted nearly 13 million people and according to some sources, took the lives of about 250,000 people. During my trip there, I had the chance of meeting many people but the person that still remains in my memory was a Muslim woman named Sahara.

She was so hospitable in inviting us to her small and temporary home. During our conversation, I learned that ​Sahara traveled 300 kilometers (a little under 200 miles) – some by cart and some by foot – as they sought to escape the worst drought that has impacted East Africa (Kenya, Somalia, and Ethiopia) in the past 60 years.

This is not a misprint.
200.

She traveled about 200 miles on cart and foot. ​And all along, she was ill. If you look closely ​at the photo, you might notice the large lump in her throat - likely a large cancerous tumor.​ She did not travel alone. She traveled with her husband who I was not able to meet because he was staying with one of his five other wives in this polygamist community.  She did not travel alone. She also traveled with her six children – the youngest being about 1 and the oldest being around 8. She had just given birth to her sixth child when they began her journey. Her youngest was severely malnourished when they arrived to this new settlement in a town called Benane.
Sahara and her children all survived this journey. They survived because she persisted.
In honor of Sahara...and so many other women who keep...keeping on. I have to remind myself of this every day...because I can forget every day:

Don't be lazy and make assumptions about people. Ask about their story. Then listen. Be humble. Be teachable. Be human. Be a good neighbor.