holiday plans?

It’s the holidays.  Thanksgiving and Christmas are already here and before you know it, we’ll be ushering in 2008.  Actually, Christmas was here since mid-August at Costco which is ludicrous but that’s another story.

A simple question to the readers of this blog – in hopes that readers but non-commenters would take the plunge and share even this one tidbit of information.  It’s nothing intimidating.

What are your Thanksgiving and/or Christmas plans this year?  Who’s staying?  Who’s going where?  And if you’re staying, where is “here?”  Who’s leaving the country?  Who has the most exciting plans?

As for my family and I, I’m staying put for both Thanksgiving and Christmas which is great but might try to sneak another trip for couple nights to my faithful destination – Vancouver, British Columbia.

Filed under: family, travel

1. Tommy says:

Nothing exotic but going back to see parents in Southern California over Christmas.

2. Staying in Seattle and enjoying a relaxing dinner with siblings-in-law. Not the most exciting plans but it’ll sure be nice.

3. Dustin says:

Going over to the folks house up in Shoreline

4. (I am one of the readers but non-commenters. Okay, not frequent commenter…)

As you know, we are coming back to the US. It looks like we will live in the Chicago area. A home was found for us in Wheaton, IL, so that’s where will be for Christmas.

5. For thanksgiving we’re going to my sister-in-laws place in Gig Harbor, just our two families for their first major holiday in Washington. Christmas will see both sides of the family at our place over here on the peninsula.

6. Megan says:

Heading to my parents’ house in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Haven’t been there for 2 years, and am still not quite sure how I’m getting there (plane or car). Christmas in Seattle…up on the Snoqualmie Ridge to be specific…with boyfriend’s family.

7. Kim says:

My family (and my 2 cheesecakes, cranberry dressing, broccoli casserole and date-nut bread) will be driving an hour to my parents’ house in Watertown, CT – where we’ll join my folks, sister, brother and their families -and the kids will be in cousin-heaven! 20 people around the table, complete chaos – I look forward to this every year! 🙂

8. e cho says:

To clarify, Leonid is returning to Chicago from St. Petersburg, Russia. Are you going to visit Seattle at all?

I’m hoping for some snow here in Seattle FWIW. I miss that about the East Coast.

9. Will go out to Long Island, NY to visit sister, brother in law, niece and mom for Thanksgiving, Dad and his girlfriend at our Brooklyn apartment on Saturday. Christmas is still up in the air – we may host part of it at our place and spend the rest of the time shuttling between family homes in Brooklyn, Queens and LI.

10. Deanne says:

Staying in Good’ol Seattle. Thanksgiving in Bremerton with the bro’s family but really here for the holidays.

11. Gina says:

Thanksgiving at home in Memphis.

12. david says:

thanksgiving will be spent at the in-laws as well as my sisters, for christmas 7 kids, 10 adults, all family, will fly to reunite with other family in philly. 🙂

13. leochen says:

Tina Kim is throwing a huge binge party for Thanksgiving so I’ll be there for sure… wait, was that suppose to be secret? Christmas will be spent at work, saving lives! ha ha =)

14. Christine says:

We’ll be spending Thanksgiving with grandparents here in Oregon. Small, but sweet.

15. nick says:

This Thanksgiving I’ll be in Kyoto viewing the beautiful fall colors. And for Christmas, eating some delicious food in Hong Kong. Nothing fancy.

16. Todd says:

Heading to Chicago then to wisconsin to spend time with family (family is from chicago, we havea time share in wisconsin)…

so far the trip has been eventful… or something like that:

17. laurakt says:

I’m going to play, “tourist in my home town” and visit all the places in Seattle that I would if I were on vacation here.

18. e cho says:

nick: right…nothing fancy at all.

19. Joseon says:

i’ll be with family, maybe travel to some cool east coast states, and play with the family dog (Jindo kae!)

20. Sarah says:

Hi PE,

Just wanted to chime in and say that this is the FIRST TIME I haven’t celebrated Thanksgiving! No pumpkin pie this year, which makes me extremely depressed. No overeating either, which is a plus.

Anyway, I’m still thankful for friends and family from afar. Happy Thanksgiving!

Sarah

21. e cho says:

sarah:
    thanks for dropping by. you and joel are missed here in the northwest. be well in china. we may try to swing by next summer…

22. Essy says:

Hey PE,

I’ll be going home to the TriCities for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. I did come home early for the Apple Cup, but that was a bit of a disappointment! My family and I will be spending a week or so together for Christmas, playing games (we are REALLY into Rummikub), watching The Office (which I proudly got them hooked on during Thanksgiving break), and having a good time!

23. leochen says:

That food at Tina Kims Thanksgiving was the bomb, as in a bad bomb. Don’t cook again 😛

Father, please bless and protect these Iraqi and Syrian "refugee" children that have already endured so much. Protect their hearts and mind from unfathomable trauma. Plant seeds of hope and vision in their lives. And as we pray for them, teach us how to advocate for them. Amen. "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." -  local Iraqi priest whose church has welcomed many "relatives" to their church's property

It's always a privilege to be invited into peoples' home for tea - even if it's a temporary tent. This is an extended Yezidi family that fled the Mosul, Iraq area because of ISIS. It's indeed true that Christians were targeted by ISIS and thatbstory muat be shared but other minority groups like the Yezidis were also targeted. Some of their heartbreaking stories included the kidnapping of their sister. They shared that their father passed away shortly of a "broken heart." The conversation was emotional but afterwards, we asked each other for permission to take photos. Once the selfies came out, the real smiles came out.

So friends: Pray for Iraq. Pray for the persecuted Church. Pray for Christians, minority groups like the Yezidis who fear they will e completely wiped out in the Middle East,, and Muslims alike who are all suffering under ISIS. Friends: I'm traveling in the Middle East this week - Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. (Make sure you follow my pics/stories on IG stories). Specifically, I'm here representing @onedayswages to meet, learn, and listen to pastors, local leaders, NGOs, and of course directly from refugees from within these countries - including many from Syria.

For security purposes, I haven't been able to share at all but I'm now able to start sharing some photos and stories. For now, I'll be sharing numerous photos through my IG stories and will be sharing some longer written pieces in couple months when ODW launches another wave of partnerships to come alongside refugees in these areas. Four of us are traveling together also for the purpose of creating a short documentary that we hope to release early next year.

While I'm on my church sabbatical, it's truly a privilege to be able to come to these countries and to meet local pastors and indigenous leaders that tirelessly pursue peace and justice, and to hear directly from refugees. I've read so many various articles and pieces over the years and I thought I was prepared but it has been jarring, heartbreaking,  and gut wrenching. In the midst of such chaos, there's hope but there's also a lot of questions, too.

I hope you follow along as I share photos, stories, and help release this mini-documentary. Please tag friends that might be interested.

Please pray for safety, for empathy, for humility and integrity, for divine meetings. Pray that we listen well; To be present and not just be a consumer of these vulnerable stories. That's my biggest prayer.

Special thanks to @worldvisionusa and @worldrelief for hosting us on this journey. 9/11
Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.

Today, I had some gut wrenching and heart breaking conversations about war, violence, and peacemaking. Mostly, I listened. Never in my wildest imagination did I envision having these conversations on 9/11 of all days. I wish I could share more now but I hope to later after I process them for a few days.

But indeed: Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.
May it be so. Amen. Mount Rainier is simply epic. There's nothing like flying in and out of Seattle.

#mountrainier
#seattle
#northwestisbest Took a train to Busan. Did not encounter any zombies but I was ready just in case.

Busan. First visit to this city (couple weeks ago) and was blown away by its beauty. Also, shocked that it has become the fifth largest containment port city in the world. That's a lot of import and export.

#MyAttemptToBeTheBestSmartphonePhotographer
#Pusan #SouthKorea

• Every convo with Iraqi/Syrian refugees included: 1 Have tea with us 2 We want peace 3 We hate ISIS 4 We want to go home 5 Don't forget us || 6 hours ago
  • Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan to assess @OneDaysWages' partnerships & to film mini-documentary on refugee crisis. So many emotions. || 6 hours ago
  • Pray for Mexico. For those mourning loved ones. For those fighting for life - even under rubbles. For rescue workers. Lord, in your mercy. || 6 hours ago
  • Don't underestimate what God can do through you. God has a very long history of using foolish and broken people for His purposes and glory. || 2 days ago
  • Father, bless these Iraqi and Syrian refugee children that have already endured so much. As we pray, teach us how t… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 4 days ago
  • Pray for Iraq. Pray for persecuted Church, minority groups (Yezidis) and Muslims alike who are suffering under ISIS: instagram.com/p/BZF2j6Ngrna/ || 4 days ago