holiday plans?

It’s the holidays.  Thanksgiving and Christmas are already here and before you know it, we’ll be ushering in 2008.  Actually, Christmas was here since mid-August at Costco which is ludicrous but that’s another story.

A simple question to the readers of this blog – in hopes that readers but non-commenters would take the plunge and share even this one tidbit of information.  It’s nothing intimidating.

What are your Thanksgiving and/or Christmas plans this year?  Who’s staying?  Who’s going where?  And if you’re staying, where is “here?”  Who’s leaving the country?  Who has the most exciting plans?

As for my family and I, I’m staying put for both Thanksgiving and Christmas which is great but might try to sneak another trip for couple nights to my faithful destination – Vancouver, British Columbia.

Filed under: family, travel

1. Tommy says:

Nothing exotic but going back to see parents in Southern California over Christmas.

2. Staying in Seattle and enjoying a relaxing dinner with siblings-in-law. Not the most exciting plans but it’ll sure be nice.

3. Dustin says:

Going over to the folks house up in Shoreline

4. (I am one of the readers but non-commenters. Okay, not frequent commenter…)

As you know, we are coming back to the US. It looks like we will live in the Chicago area. A home was found for us in Wheaton, IL, so that’s where will be for Christmas.

5. For thanksgiving we’re going to my sister-in-laws place in Gig Harbor, just our two families for their first major holiday in Washington. Christmas will see both sides of the family at our place over here on the peninsula.

6. Megan says:

Heading to my parents’ house in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Haven’t been there for 2 years, and am still not quite sure how I’m getting there (plane or car). Christmas in Seattle…up on the Snoqualmie Ridge to be specific…with boyfriend’s family.

7. Kim says:

My family (and my 2 cheesecakes, cranberry dressing, broccoli casserole and date-nut bread) will be driving an hour to my parents’ house in Watertown, CT – where we’ll join my folks, sister, brother and their families -and the kids will be in cousin-heaven! 20 people around the table, complete chaos – I look forward to this every year! 🙂

8. e cho says:

To clarify, Leonid is returning to Chicago from St. Petersburg, Russia. Are you going to visit Seattle at all?

I’m hoping for some snow here in Seattle FWIW. I miss that about the East Coast.

9. Will go out to Long Island, NY to visit sister, brother in law, niece and mom for Thanksgiving, Dad and his girlfriend at our Brooklyn apartment on Saturday. Christmas is still up in the air – we may host part of it at our place and spend the rest of the time shuttling between family homes in Brooklyn, Queens and LI.

10. Deanne says:

Staying in Good’ol Seattle. Thanksgiving in Bremerton with the bro’s family but really here for the holidays.

11. Gina says:

Thanksgiving at home in Memphis.

12. david says:

thanksgiving will be spent at the in-laws as well as my sisters, for christmas 7 kids, 10 adults, all family, will fly to reunite with other family in philly. 🙂

13. leochen says:

Tina Kim is throwing a huge binge party for Thanksgiving so I’ll be there for sure… wait, was that suppose to be secret? Christmas will be spent at work, saving lives! ha ha =)

14. Christine says:

We’ll be spending Thanksgiving with grandparents here in Oregon. Small, but sweet.

15. nick says:

This Thanksgiving I’ll be in Kyoto viewing the beautiful fall colors. And for Christmas, eating some delicious food in Hong Kong. Nothing fancy.

16. Todd says:

Heading to Chicago then to wisconsin to spend time with family (family is from chicago, we havea time share in wisconsin)…

so far the trip has been eventful… or something like that:

17. laurakt says:

I’m going to play, “tourist in my home town” and visit all the places in Seattle that I would if I were on vacation here.

18. e cho says:

nick: right…nothing fancy at all.

19. Joseon says:

i’ll be with family, maybe travel to some cool east coast states, and play with the family dog (Jindo kae!)

20. Sarah says:

Hi PE,

Just wanted to chime in and say that this is the FIRST TIME I haven’t celebrated Thanksgiving! No pumpkin pie this year, which makes me extremely depressed. No overeating either, which is a plus.

Anyway, I’m still thankful for friends and family from afar. Happy Thanksgiving!

Sarah

21. e cho says:

sarah:
    thanks for dropping by. you and joel are missed here in the northwest. be well in china. we may try to swing by next summer…

22. Essy says:

Hey PE,

I’ll be going home to the TriCities for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. I did come home early for the Apple Cup, but that was a bit of a disappointment! My family and I will be spending a week or so together for Christmas, playing games (we are REALLY into Rummikub), watching The Office (which I proudly got them hooked on during Thanksgiving break), and having a good time!

23. leochen says:

That food at Tina Kims Thanksgiving was the bomb, as in a bad bomb. Don’t cook again 😛

Grateful. Still reflecting on the letters that I've received from classmates and students that have come before me and after me. Never imagined all that God would have in store for me. Lots of humbling things but in the midst of them, there were literally thousands upon thousands of daily decisions and choices to be faithful. That's what matters. Seen or unseen. Noticed or unnoticed. You do your best and sometimes you stumble and fumble along but nevertheless, seeking to be faithful.

Also, you know you're getting old when your school honors you with a Distinguished Alumni Award. Lol. 47 is the new 27. Or something like that. Here's to the next 47. In our culture, we can be so obsessed with the "spectacular" or "glamorous." The Church often engagws in thia language and paradigm...but what if God has called many of us to small, ordinary things?

Will we still be faithful?
Will we still go about such things with great love and joy?

I recently came across this picture taken by @mattylew, one of our church staff...and I started tearing up: This is my mother; in her 70s; with realities of some disabilities that make it difficult for her to stand up and sit down...but here she is on her knees and prostate in prayer. She doesn't have any social media accounts, barely knows how to use her smartphone, doesn't have a platform, hasn't written a book, doesn't have any titles in our church, isn't listed as a leader or an expert or a consultant or a guru. But she simply seeks to do her best - by God's grace - to be faithful to God. She prays for hours every day inteceding for our family, our church, and the larger world.

Even if we're not noticed or celebrated or elevated...let's be faithful. Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant. And not even successful in the eyes of the world.

Be faithful. Amen. #notetoself (and maybe helpful for someone else)

At times, we have to say ‘NO’ to good things to say ‘YES’ to the most important things.

We can't do it all.
Pray and choose wisely.
Then invest deeply. May our compassion not just be limited to the West or to those that look like us. Lifting up the people of Iraq, Iran, and Kurdistan in prayer after the 7.3 earthquake - including the many new friends I met on a recent trip to Iraq.

The death toll rises to over 400 and over 7,000 injured in multiple cities and hundreds of villages along the Western border with Iraq.

Lord, in your mercy... We are reminded again and again...that we are Resurrection People living in a Dark Friday world.

It's been a tough, emotional, and painful week - especially as we lament the horrible tragedy of the church shootings at Sutherland Springs. In the midst of this lament, I've been carried by the hope, beauty, and promise of our baptisms last Sunday and the raw and honest testimonies of God's mercy, love, and grace.

Indeed, God is not yet done. May we take heart for Christ has overcome the world. "Without genuine relationships with the poor, we rob them of their dignity and they become mere projects. And God did not intend for anyone to become our projects." Grateful this quote from my book, Overrated, is resonating with so many folks - individuals and  NGOs. / design by @preemptivelove