hawaii trip highlights and lowlights

The family and I are now back from our week work/play trip to Hawaii.  We had a good time but it’s actually good to be back home.  All is good except two things: 1) learned one of our older congregants broke her hip at church last Sunday and 2) Lance Armstong and Kate Ashley Olson are supposedly dating.  I go away for a week and this is what happens!

Here are some highlights, lowlights, and random information from our excursion to Hawaii to aid you for your future trip to the 50th state:

• Andy and Diana had a great wedding at one of the most beautiful backgrounds of Turtle Bay at North Shore.  I’m not sure if people were looking at me or the view behind me.
  • During their wedding, I had my first experience of a small bug flying into my mouth during the sermon.  I took one for the team and just swallowed the bug and continued on.  No joke.
  • Peter and Lotus had an incredible wedding celebration as well.  All stories are unique and amazing but theirs is truly incredible.  Their celebration was very authentic Hawaiian!  Haoles, packies, chang, choke, ono and whatever other slang they used.
  • George and David were wedding crashers.  They showed up at both weddings and just because they helped play/sing the wedding songs, they must have thought it was ok to eat all the food.  Chris ate too but she has good excuse since she’s eating for two.  The all-you-can-eat sushi bar one of the weddings was nice.
  • We arrived on Monday and it poured like crazy.  For about an hour, it poured like we’ve never seen.  Thought for a sec that we brought the rain from Seattle.  For our kids, it was no problem.  They were swimming in the pool during the rainstorm – the only kids in the pool.
  • Weather turned beautiful after that.  Every day – just perfect weather.  Mid 80s, low humidity, nice trade winds – every day.   Did I say – Every Day?
  • We’re not really fanatical tourists that go to every attraction.  We just did five things:  eat, sleep, beach, swim, and marry people.  But one thing about Waikiki I hated:  all these fancy name brand shops. And also, everybody speaking to me in Japanese.  Arigato.
  • The beaches were great.  We enjoyed playing in the ocean but Christine nearly destroyed my vacation when she left a comment that she heard that the Hawaiian sand is imported from Australia.  What the Beelzebub?  Heck, might as we go directly to Australia then.
  • Why were there so many Questers in Hawaii?  Yes, several were there for the weddings but we ran into 6 more Questers randomly in Hawaii including my wife running into two of them in the women’s bathroom in Hanauma Bay.  We could have had our own Sunday church service…
  • Speaking of Hanauma Bay, what a letdown.  Snorkeling there is just not the same as the experience 10 years ago.  Where did all the fish go?  What happened to Nemo?
  • Speaking of snorkeling, Leo was gracious enough to drive us around for a day and took us to Hanauma Bay.  Leo grew up in Oahu.  While I had my snorkel gear, Leo snorkeled with nothing – not even goggles.  He was going up and down the water.  I was tempted to just grab his bald head and let him take me everywhere under water.  He’s Flipper.
  • One place that I’ll highlight that Leo took us was Leonards where they sell the most incredible and delicious pastry called malasadas.  This is a must eat…along with Spam, Eggs, and Rice for breakfast at your local McDonalds.
  • You think traffic in Seattle is bad?  Honolulu and Waikiki area is crazy.
  • $264 for a round trip ticket?  What a bargain.  Need to do this more often.

Filed under: family, travel, ,

1. leochen says:

I think the bold head might be a little too slippery to hold on to. ha! =)

2. Jessie says:

Pastor Eugene. What are you doing spreading false rumors?? Lance Armstrong is dating Ashley Olsen, not Mary-Kate. (Please see last week’s People for info on Lance’s conflicted emotions about the situation…):-)

3. Wayne Park says:

Hmm.. Hanauma Bay was about the only snorkeling we ever got.. Ash LOVED it. What chon-noms we are. Oh yeah the sand thing was crazy.. imported. and I felt the same way about Waikiki..

4. Tommy says:

You went to the wrong island for relaxation. Waikiki is so overrated. They built it for Japanese tourists. But yes, Leonards…yummy.

I’d recommend Maui for better rest.

5. e cho says:

Jessie: Sorry for the wrong facts. But let’s talk about the real dilemma: why are you reading People Magazine?

Wayne: Happy Birthday bro.

6. insipid "g" says:

you’ll have to snorkel/snuba off of maui (molikini) next time!

7. Jessie says:

i don’t know, i don’t know! i’ve been reading it for years and i just don’t know how to stop……

8. Ben says:

Yes! My ex-gf Ashley grew up in Honolulu and took me to Leonard’s. I believe you’ve met her before. So good. Ruined Krispy Kreme for me.

After my 2 week stay in Honolulu, I realized that I wanted to buy a vacation home sometime in the Hawaii Kai (sp?) area.

The air smells sweet and all you want to do is just chill out all day, everyday.

9. Eugene,
    Sorry I almost destroyed your trip for you but yes next time go straight to Australia. I can guarantee you will not be disappointed with the fish on the Great Barrier Reef. Of course I might be prejudiced.

10. Melissa says:

Lance Armstrong is dating Ashley Olson?

Ew.

11. Andy says:

Thanks for taking one for the team! I saw the bug for a little bit and then saw it disappear, didn’t see where it ended up😉

People often ask, "How does one stand all that rain in Seattle?" Actually, it doesn't rain that much. I like the rain. Keeps everything "evergreen" and clean. Keeps our air fresh. What's challenging is the gray weather. Give me a few more sunny days. 99 more days to be specific.
Regardless, still love this city. Checking out Canada in case I need to move up North after the presidential election. Just saying, eh.

Downtown Toronto. Fascinating architecture. Amazed by the diversity of this city. We desperately want our children to not just be captivated by the beauty of creation...but more importantly, to the actual Creator of all that is good and beautiful.

Actually, we want and need this truth for our souls, too. What a privilege. This isn't possible without all those who give, pray, and support the work of @onedayswages. This week, I signed and mailed grants to three partner organizations totaling over $170,000. These grants will empower people by supporting maternal health care, refugee relief efforts, access to clean water, provide education, etc.

Sometimes, the brokenness of the world feel so overwhelming but let's keep running the race with endurance. Let's keep pursuing justice, mercy, and humility. Let's be faithful and may we be spurred on to keep working for God's Kingdom...on earth as it is in heaven.

Again, thank you so much for your support for @onedayswages! My wife, Minhee, and I stand on the shoulders of praying mothers. I'd like to take a moment to honor my mother-in-law. It's hard to put words together to embody her life but she is a very special, anointed person. I'm so blessed to have her as a mother in my life.

She was a devoted wife until she lost her husband to cancer, mother to three daughters, and later became a pastor. She became a follower of Christ as an adult and as such, led her her family to Christ. In her late 50s, she obeyed God's calling to go to seminary and be a leader in the church. She graduated #1 in her class and reminded us that it's never too late to follow a new dream or calling.

As she'll soon celebrate her 80th birthday, I'm especially grateful for the ways that she poured into and prayed over Minhee and her other children.  Even though she's officially retired, I'm inspired that the concept of retirement is not in her vocabulary.  She continues to serve the local church, evangelize and bear witness to Christ, and goes to the early morning prayer meeting at 5am everyday to pray for our family, our church, and for others.
Jangmonim, we love and honor you. 어머니, 사랑합니다.

Someday, I hope that when my kids speak of Minhee and I...above all, they would say with integrity that their parents prayed for them and kept pointing them to Christ. On this Mother's Day, I want to take a few words to honor mother.

There’s a moment from a few years ago that will stick with me until the day I die. It’s regarding Sung Wha, my mother.

Minhee and I were at a point of transition, between working at an ethnic Korean church in the northern suburbs of Seattle called Lynnwood and launching Quest in urban Seattle. As I shared earlier, I was in desperate need of a job. I had a mortgage to pay. A pregnant wife. A kid at home.
Then, praise God, after months without work, I finally landed a job.

My mom was in between jobs at this point in her life. She was in her late fifties, but she had such bad knees and degenerative hips that it was, and is, difficult for her to walk. My mom is like a human barometer—when a storm is coming and when it rains, her hips throb. Although my parents lived in San Francisco, she was visiting us in Seattle to encourage us in this difficult season.

As I prepared to go to work one early morning, I walked downstairs to put on my jacket and shoes, and forgot that my mother woke up early every morning to pray. In fact, she had been praying for months that I would find a job. “Eugene, where are you going?” she said when she saw me.

I hadn’t told my mother the news that I had just recently been hired for the janitorial gig at Barnes and Noble. I chose not to because I thought she and my father would be devastated. I didn’t want them to think that after laboring, sacrificing, and doing so much for us over all those years that their son had failed them.

But I couldn’t lie to her, so eventually I told my mom that I got a job and was going to work. “Great! What job? What are you doing?” “Um, I’m working at Barnes and Noble as their custodian,” I said finally.

Without asking another question, my mother got up from the dining table where she had been reading her Bible and praying. She slowly walked slowly toward me.

She approached me, then walked past me without saying a word, and I realized she was headed toward the closet. She opened the closet door, put on her jacket, turned around and said to me (in Korean), “Eugene, let’s go together. I will help you.” This is my mother.

• People often ask, "How do stand all that rain in Seattle?" Actually, it doesn't rain that much.… instagram.com/p/BF2giXwyWTY/ || 7 hours ago
  • Don't obsess about your platform.Just do your thing with passion, humility, integrity. We do what we do for God's glory, not human applause. || 17 hours ago
  • Someone tell Steph Curry that he's the MVP because he's playing a lot like me in my rec league. || 1 day ago
  • .@SeattleQuest recently hosted Kenneth Bae (Prisoner 103). He was detained in DPRK for 735days. WATCH his testimony: vimeo.com/167680426 || 2 days ago
  • RT @seattlequest: Suffering is a short cut to God's heart. Even if your circumstances don't change, God is always w/ you. - KennethBae http… || 3 days ago
  • Oh Lord, You love North Korea, Syria, Iraq, Congo, Nigeria, Turkey and ______. You love the nations. Give us Your heart for the world. Amen. || 4 days ago

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,409 other followers