hawaii trip highlights and lowlights

The family and I are now back from our week work/play trip to Hawaii.  We had a good time but it’s actually good to be back home.  All is good except two things: 1) learned one of our older congregants broke her hip at church last Sunday and 2) Lance Armstong and Kate Ashley Olson are supposedly dating.  I go away for a week and this is what happens!

Here are some highlights, lowlights, and random information from our excursion to Hawaii to aid you for your future trip to the 50th state:

• Andy and Diana had a great wedding at one of the most beautiful backgrounds of Turtle Bay at North Shore.  I’m not sure if people were looking at me or the view behind me.
  • During their wedding, I had my first experience of a small bug flying into my mouth during the sermon.  I took one for the team and just swallowed the bug and continued on.  No joke.
  • Peter and Lotus had an incredible wedding celebration as well.  All stories are unique and amazing but theirs is truly incredible.  Their celebration was very authentic Hawaiian!  Haoles, packies, chang, choke, ono and whatever other slang they used.
  • George and David were wedding crashers.  They showed up at both weddings and just because they helped play/sing the wedding songs, they must have thought it was ok to eat all the food.  Chris ate too but she has good excuse since she’s eating for two.  The all-you-can-eat sushi bar one of the weddings was nice.
  • We arrived on Monday and it poured like crazy.  For about an hour, it poured like we’ve never seen.  Thought for a sec that we brought the rain from Seattle.  For our kids, it was no problem.  They were swimming in the pool during the rainstorm – the only kids in the pool.
  • Weather turned beautiful after that.  Every day – just perfect weather.  Mid 80s, low humidity, nice trade winds – every day.   Did I say – Every Day?
  • We’re not really fanatical tourists that go to every attraction.  We just did five things:  eat, sleep, beach, swim, and marry people.  But one thing about Waikiki I hated:  all these fancy name brand shops. And also, everybody speaking to me in Japanese.  Arigato.
  • The beaches were great.  We enjoyed playing in the ocean but Christine nearly destroyed my vacation when she left a comment that she heard that the Hawaiian sand is imported from Australia.  What the Beelzebub?  Heck, might as we go directly to Australia then.
  • Why were there so many Questers in Hawaii?  Yes, several were there for the weddings but we ran into 6 more Questers randomly in Hawaii including my wife running into two of them in the women’s bathroom in Hanauma Bay.  We could have had our own Sunday church service…
  • Speaking of Hanauma Bay, what a letdown.  Snorkeling there is just not the same as the experience 10 years ago.  Where did all the fish go?  What happened to Nemo?
  • Speaking of snorkeling, Leo was gracious enough to drive us around for a day and took us to Hanauma Bay.  Leo grew up in Oahu.  While I had my snorkel gear, Leo snorkeled with nothing – not even goggles.  He was going up and down the water.  I was tempted to just grab his bald head and let him take me everywhere under water.  He’s Flipper.
  • One place that I’ll highlight that Leo took us was Leonards where they sell the most incredible and delicious pastry called malasadas.  This is a must eat…along with Spam, Eggs, and Rice for breakfast at your local McDonalds.
  • You think traffic in Seattle is bad?  Honolulu and Waikiki area is crazy.
  • $264 for a round trip ticket?  What a bargain.  Need to do this more often.

Filed under: family, travel, ,

1. leochen says:

I think the bold head might be a little too slippery to hold on to. ha! =)

2. Jessie says:

Pastor Eugene. What are you doing spreading false rumors?? Lance Armstrong is dating Ashley Olsen, not Mary-Kate. (Please see last week’s People for info on Lance’s conflicted emotions about the situation…):-)

3. Wayne Park says:

Hmm.. Hanauma Bay was about the only snorkeling we ever got.. Ash LOVED it. What chon-noms we are. Oh yeah the sand thing was crazy.. imported. and I felt the same way about Waikiki..

4. Tommy says:

You went to the wrong island for relaxation. Waikiki is so overrated. They built it for Japanese tourists. But yes, Leonards…yummy.

I’d recommend Maui for better rest.

5. e cho says:

Jessie: Sorry for the wrong facts. But let’s talk about the real dilemma: why are you reading People Magazine?

Wayne: Happy Birthday bro.

6. insipid "g" says:

you’ll have to snorkel/snuba off of maui (molikini) next time!

7. Jessie says:

i don’t know, i don’t know! i’ve been reading it for years and i just don’t know how to stop……

8. Ben says:

Yes! My ex-gf Ashley grew up in Honolulu and took me to Leonard’s. I believe you’ve met her before. So good. Ruined Krispy Kreme for me.

After my 2 week stay in Honolulu, I realized that I wanted to buy a vacation home sometime in the Hawaii Kai (sp?) area.

The air smells sweet and all you want to do is just chill out all day, everyday.

9. Eugene,
    Sorry I almost destroyed your trip for you but yes next time go straight to Australia. I can guarantee you will not be disappointed with the fish on the Great Barrier Reef. Of course I might be prejudiced.

10. Melissa says:

Lance Armstrong is dating Ashley Olson?

Ew.

11. Andy says:

Thanks for taking one for the team! I saw the bug for a little bit and then saw it disappear, didn’t see where it ended up😉

C'mon! We still got it.

#DontCallUsBeautyAndTheBeast
#HowAboutThatMatchingTie
#OldSchoolKPopStars
#19YearsAndGoingStrong Grateful for the life and leadership of Dr. John M. Perkins. There are alot of sprinters in our culture but make sure to also look for those who are persevering in the marathon of justice and reconciliation. When I think of him and others I consider mentors in my life, they're not necessarily flashy or fancy. Rather, I'm reminded that a life faithfully and honestly lived through life's trials and messiness is one's greatest sermon. The best thing a father can do for their kids...is to care well for their mother. It took me awhile to learn this and I'm still learning this. As a leader, I refuse to sacrifice my marriage and kids for the sake of ministry. How can I? Loving my family IS ministry and leadership.

I acknowledge that I'm so privileged with platform, resources, and opportunities - including the opportunity to travel and take vacations like this trip last month. Its not lost on me. I'm so grateful. I want to steward that privilege well - not just for personal or family enjoyment - but also for the sake of others and the building of the Kingdom of God.
As I pour into others, I'm also learning how important it is to care for oneself; To care for your spouse; To care for your family; To be about the marathon. Preservation not for the sake of self-preservation but for the sake of discipleship and faithfulness.

I used to feel guilty about Sabbath-ing, vacations for my family, being in the outdoors, fishing, and self-care but it's too important  As a lifelong recovering workaholic, I don't want to burn out and I don't want this for others. Flying in and out of Seattle never gets old. One of the most mesmerizing topographies in the country. #windowseat Thank you, Chicago. Put in 10,000 steps. Still one of the best cities to walk. Want to change the world?
Start with your own heart. Examine yourself. Grow in your faith. Begin in your homes. Love your family. Pour into young people. Engage your friends. Meet your neighbors. Seek the welfare of your city. Empathize and advocate for the hurting and marginalized. And yes, it's very possible that God may stir your heart for the nations; For people, causes, and issues in other countries but till then, start in the here and now. Be faithful. Be present.  With the people, spaces, and places right in front of you. Selah.

• I love preaching but also love house visits; To show God's love for people. Today,said hello & prayed for a newborn. https://t.co/aPnkVAfnJ0 || 4 hours ago
  • RT @EugeneCho: Dear Kabul, We mourn the tragedy & violence. We confess that our mourning is often limited to the West. Forgive us. We long… || 9 hours ago
  • Dear Kabul, We mourn the tragedy & violence. We confess that our mourning is often limited to the West. Forgive us. We long for peace w you. || 1 day ago
  • We often say every person is created in the image of God & rightly so. But this must include those who suffer in "other" cities like Kabul. || 1 day ago
  • C'mon! Angels in the Outfield. 19.5 years together and we still got it. And how about that… instagram.com/p/BIOFh7ShpvH/ || 1 day ago
  • We're all feeling weary. So, take the time to retreat and rest. But resist the temptation to stop caring. May our hearts not become callous. || 2 days ago

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,411 other followers