hawaii trip highlights and lowlights

The family and I are now back from our week work/play trip to Hawaii.  We had a good time but it’s actually good to be back home.  All is good except two things: 1) learned one of our older congregants broke her hip at church last Sunday and 2) Lance Armstong and Kate Ashley Olson are supposedly dating.  I go away for a week and this is what happens!

Here are some highlights, lowlights, and random information from our excursion to Hawaii to aid you for your future trip to the 50th state:

• Andy and Diana had a great wedding at one of the most beautiful backgrounds of Turtle Bay at North Shore.  I’m not sure if people were looking at me or the view behind me.
  • During their wedding, I had my first experience of a small bug flying into my mouth during the sermon.  I took one for the team and just swallowed the bug and continued on.  No joke.
  • Peter and Lotus had an incredible wedding celebration as well.  All stories are unique and amazing but theirs is truly incredible.  Their celebration was very authentic Hawaiian!  Haoles, packies, chang, choke, ono and whatever other slang they used.
  • George and David were wedding crashers.  They showed up at both weddings and just because they helped play/sing the wedding songs, they must have thought it was ok to eat all the food.  Chris ate too but she has good excuse since she’s eating for two.  The all-you-can-eat sushi bar one of the weddings was nice.
  • We arrived on Monday and it poured like crazy.  For about an hour, it poured like we’ve never seen.  Thought for a sec that we brought the rain from Seattle.  For our kids, it was no problem.  They were swimming in the pool during the rainstorm – the only kids in the pool.
  • Weather turned beautiful after that.  Every day – just perfect weather.  Mid 80s, low humidity, nice trade winds – every day.   Did I say – Every Day?
  • We’re not really fanatical tourists that go to every attraction.  We just did five things:  eat, sleep, beach, swim, and marry people.  But one thing about Waikiki I hated:  all these fancy name brand shops. And also, everybody speaking to me in Japanese.  Arigato.
  • The beaches were great.  We enjoyed playing in the ocean but Christine nearly destroyed my vacation when she left a comment that she heard that the Hawaiian sand is imported from Australia.  What the Beelzebub?  Heck, might as we go directly to Australia then.
  • Why were there so many Questers in Hawaii?  Yes, several were there for the weddings but we ran into 6 more Questers randomly in Hawaii including my wife running into two of them in the women’s bathroom in Hanauma Bay.  We could have had our own Sunday church service…
  • Speaking of Hanauma Bay, what a letdown.  Snorkeling there is just not the same as the experience 10 years ago.  Where did all the fish go?  What happened to Nemo?
  • Speaking of snorkeling, Leo was gracious enough to drive us around for a day and took us to Hanauma Bay.  Leo grew up in Oahu.  While I had my snorkel gear, Leo snorkeled with nothing – not even goggles.  He was going up and down the water.  I was tempted to just grab his bald head and let him take me everywhere under water.  He’s Flipper.
  • One place that I’ll highlight that Leo took us was Leonards where they sell the most incredible and delicious pastry called malasadas.  This is a must eat…along with Spam, Eggs, and Rice for breakfast at your local McDonalds.
  • You think traffic in Seattle is bad?  Honolulu and Waikiki area is crazy.
  • $264 for a round trip ticket?  What a bargain.  Need to do this more often.

Filed under: family, travel, ,

1. leochen says:

I think the bold head might be a little too slippery to hold on to. ha! =)

2. Jessie says:

Pastor Eugene. What are you doing spreading false rumors?? Lance Armstrong is dating Ashley Olsen, not Mary-Kate. (Please see last week’s People for info on Lance’s conflicted emotions about the situation…) 🙂

3. Wayne Park says:

Hmm.. Hanauma Bay was about the only snorkeling we ever got.. Ash LOVED it. What chon-noms we are. Oh yeah the sand thing was crazy.. imported. and I felt the same way about Waikiki..

4. Tommy says:

You went to the wrong island for relaxation. Waikiki is so overrated. They built it for Japanese tourists. But yes, Leonards…yummy.

I’d recommend Maui for better rest.

5. e cho says:

Jessie: Sorry for the wrong facts. But let’s talk about the real dilemma: why are you reading People Magazine?

Wayne: Happy Birthday bro.

6. insipid "g" says:

you’ll have to snorkel/snuba off of maui (molikini) next time!

7. Jessie says:

i don’t know, i don’t know! i’ve been reading it for years and i just don’t know how to stop……

8. Ben says:

Yes! My ex-gf Ashley grew up in Honolulu and took me to Leonard’s. I believe you’ve met her before. So good. Ruined Krispy Kreme for me.

After my 2 week stay in Honolulu, I realized that I wanted to buy a vacation home sometime in the Hawaii Kai (sp?) area.

The air smells sweet and all you want to do is just chill out all day, everyday.

9. Eugene,
    Sorry I almost destroyed your trip for you but yes next time go straight to Australia. I can guarantee you will not be disappointed with the fish on the Great Barrier Reef. Of course I might be prejudiced.

10. Melissa says:

Lance Armstrong is dating Ashley Olson?

Ew.

11. Andy says:

Thanks for taking one for the team! I saw the bug for a little bit and then saw it disappear, didn’t see where it ended up 😉

Everyone loves the idea of  reconciliation...until it involves truthtelling, confessing, repenting, dismantling, forgiving, and peacemaking. Charlottesville. So heartbreaking and infuriating. We weep and mourn over the hatred in the hearts of these white nationalists. We weep and mourn but we can't be defeated.

As I stare at this photo that's making its round on the internet, I'm reminded of the utter importance of showing up. I'm grateful for the news media, law enforcement, clergy, and peaceful protesters that are currently there to report, protect, pray, and protest.

And this is an invitation to us. May we not be mere bystanders. May we keep pressing forward. Seek justice. Love mercy. Walk humbly. Commit to truth-telling, justice, reconciliation, peacemaking. Follow the ways of Christ. Every day. And it's important to note that we don't have to go to Charlottesville to do this. In fact, it's more important that we do this exactly where we're at. May we live out the call to reconciliation in our churches, workplaces, neighborhoods, schools, and around our dining tables. Lord, may it be so... We don't have to go to Charlottesville to do this. We have to do this wherever were called to be.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” ~ Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. /// Thanks to those who let me know that the photo wasn't actually from today but rather from last month in Charlottesville. - https://www.facebook.com/FrankSomervilleKTVU/posts/1551137301616258:0 Grateful for a spontaneous, last minute trip with Minhee to my old stomping grounds - San Francisco. 48 hours of visiting this special city that I called home for so many years.

Pic 1: Went to the Cliff House restaurant where we got engaged about 21 years ago to make out. Oops, sorry, I meant...to reflect on God's faithfulness over these many years.

Pic 2: Walked across the Golden Gate Bridge because it's such an iconic place - with some of the most incredible views.

Pic 3: Enjoyed a glass of some Cabernet Sauvignon and pretended to be wine connoisseurs at a vineyard.

Pic 4: Had lunch at my favorite Chinese restaurant, Sam Tung, which boasts some of the best chicken in the country. And of course, we ate at In-n-out.

Pic 5: And finally, celebrated with the good folks at @thefreedomstory where @onedayswages received their annual Freedom Award. What an honor.

Grateful. Thankful for this sabbatical. Breathe.

Show yourself some grace.

We can't do everything for everyone in every situation. Do what you can and do it with a joyful heart.

Amen A family that eats sushi together stays together.

Seriously, I don't ever remember eating so much as a teenager but these kids eat and eat and eat. Perhaps, the reason why this kid is pushing 6 feet tall. Grateful for a special treat with the family at @JaponessaSeattle. I'm sharing an obligatory, "I love and appreciate my wife, she's amazing" photo. Also...because I did something naughty...or brilliant. ;) Seattle is in the midst of a crazy heatwave. Near 100 degrees, hazy, and humid. An excessive heat advisory warning has also been issued.

So, Minhee and I needed to run some errands. It waa horrible but sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do. It's also known as adulting.

So, I'm driving and the air conditioning seems to have minimal effect. Minhee is in the passenger's seat and umm, when she's not paying attention, I turn on her seat heater to 5 - the highest level. All along, she's complaining about how hot she is...for nearly an hour...until she finally realizes what I did.

Bam. Boom. Gotcha.

Minhee, I love you!

• Dear Barcelona: We are so sorry. We mourn the violence and tragedy in your beautiful city. We pray for healing and yearn for peace. Amen. || 8 hours ago
  • Love wins in the end but meanwhile, it fights for things that matter. Love isn't sentimental. It's both gentle & fierce. Seek God's Kingdom. || 1 day ago
  • In response to racism, folks often say, "It's a sin issue." Yes...but don't be naive. Sin creates sinful systems: youtube.com/watch?v=LEbUa0… || 2 days ago
  • Everyone loves the idea of reconciliation...until it involves truthtelling, confessing, repenting, dismantling, forgiving, and peacemaking. || 4 days ago
  • Church leaders: At times, we ought to be silent. This isn't 1 of those times. Be courageous. Be pastoral/prophetic. Preach the whole Gospel. || 5 days ago
  • Charlottesville. So heartbreaking and infuriating. We weep & mourn but may we keep pressing forward. Seek justice. Love mercy. Walk humbly. || 5 days ago