work and rest in hawaii

Well, someone’s gotta do it.  I’m flying out to Hawaii today with my family to officiate the weddings for two of our church couples next weekend.  I’m committed to my congregation so even if it forces me to fly out to Hawaii, I’ll take one for the team.

After a very busy summer, I’m excited and glad to be taking a few days off not only to rest but to enjoy some quality time with my family as well.  This past summer was probably one of the more intense periods of recent years.  Minhee and I also went to Hawaii over 10 years ago as part of our extended honeymoon travels so it’ll be good to go back to mark our 10 year anniversary this past February.

Now, I’m only hoping that the rains will cease in Hawaii.  I was told today that it absolutely poured for couple days in Hawaii and a flash flood warning has been released.  Great.

Regardless, congratulations to Andy and Diana and to Peter and Lotus [pictured below].  Photo by Leo Chen Photography.  I’ll be blogging through the week through some stuff I’ve written in recent weeks and some photos I’ll post to let folks know how much I’m suffering.  🙂

peterlotus.jpg

Filed under: family, travel, ,

1. leochen says:

I can’t wait for some WARM RAIN! =) Actually, you get to see tons of rainbows between the down pours, especially in the direction of UH in Manoa Valley. Have a great trip! See you in Hawaii!!

2. Jezla says:

Tough job! Have fun and God Bless!

3. LK. says:

i’ll just tell you right now that my wedding is going to take place in longview…now there’s something to look forward to.

4. Randall says:

If you like fish I HIGHLY recommend eating the fried poke dish (or it might be called seared ahi) at a place called You Hungry. It’s a real hole-in-the-wall joint right across the street from the Hawaii Convention Center (not too far from Waikiki).

So good, going broke your mouth! (translation: it’s really tasty)

5. e cho says:

lk: umm, leah can officiate that wedding.

randall: let me know if u have any other suggestions. we’re staying in waikiki.

6. Wayne Park says:

e: sorry I called – you must’ve been in flight. No biggie – we’re ok..
    maybe we’ll connect online or something – enjoy your vacation..

7. Blake says:

I’m so blessed to have a pastor who’s willing to suffer like this for the good on the community. I appreciate it P.E. Don’t let the difficulty of the situation get you down. If you find yourself in need, remember Romans 4:7-12 (end sarcasm) 😉 … You better not come back with a tan.

8. vince says:

Pastor Mygene, yes someone has to do it, you are a good sport. Beautiful photo Leo, and you are also a good sport to travel so far for business. Nice Hawaiin sunset too. Hey wait a minute, that looks exactly like Puget Sound! And the Olympic Mountains!

Nothing grows by itself. If something matters to us, may we be intentional about growing it.

Invest. Pray. Plant. Water. Nurture. Repeat. God sees and knows us. In fact, God knows everything about us.

Not just the good we try so hard to project but even the mess we often seek to hide.

Let this soak in: Not only are we fully known but in Christ, we are fully pursued and loved.

This is grace.
Amazing grace. Hairstyles change. Sideburn fads come and go but may our commitment to love, honor, respect, and be on mission together for Christ never waver.

Thank you, Minhee. I love you so much even if you made fun of my hairstyle and sideburns. I missed you, Seattle. Grateful for a time to pray, rest, retreat, read, reflect, and sabbath. I've spent the last 12 days in the woods alone. Competely alone. It's been both haunting and refreshing. Haunting because of loneliness. Refreshing because through the silence, I am reminded - again - that I'm not alone. Emmanuel.

Also, bought myself a cheap kayak and loving the solitude time in nature. Also, the kayak is paying instant dividends in my bass fishing game. #sabbathrest #bassfishing #catchandrelease There's nothing selfish about rest and self-care. We can't give what we don't have. Experience life and we'll be life-giving to others. Amen.

#NoteToSelf