work and rest in hawaii

Well, someone’s gotta do it.  I’m flying out to Hawaii today with my family to officiate the weddings for two of our church couples next weekend.  I’m committed to my congregation so even if it forces me to fly out to Hawaii, I’ll take one for the team.

After a very busy summer, I’m excited and glad to be taking a few days off not only to rest but to enjoy some quality time with my family as well.  This past summer was probably one of the more intense periods of recent years.  Minhee and I also went to Hawaii over 10 years ago as part of our extended honeymoon travels so it’ll be good to go back to mark our 10 year anniversary this past February.

Now, I’m only hoping that the rains will cease in Hawaii.  I was told today that it absolutely poured for couple days in Hawaii and a flash flood warning has been released.  Great.

Regardless, congratulations to Andy and Diana and to Peter and Lotus [pictured below].  Photo by Leo Chen Photography.  I’ll be blogging through the week through some stuff I’ve written in recent weeks and some photos I’ll post to let folks know how much I’m suffering.  🙂

peterlotus.jpg

Filed under: family, travel, ,

1. leochen says:

I can’t wait for some WARM RAIN! =) Actually, you get to see tons of rainbows between the down pours, especially in the direction of UH in Manoa Valley. Have a great trip! See you in Hawaii!!

2. Jezla says:

Tough job! Have fun and God Bless!

3. LK. says:

i’ll just tell you right now that my wedding is going to take place in longview…now there’s something to look forward to.

4. Randall says:

If you like fish I HIGHLY recommend eating the fried poke dish (or it might be called seared ahi) at a place called You Hungry. It’s a real hole-in-the-wall joint right across the street from the Hawaii Convention Center (not too far from Waikiki).

So good, going broke your mouth! (translation: it’s really tasty)

5. e cho says:

lk: umm, leah can officiate that wedding.

randall: let me know if u have any other suggestions. we’re staying in waikiki.

6. Wayne Park says:

e: sorry I called – you must’ve been in flight. No biggie – we’re ok..
    maybe we’ll connect online or something – enjoy your vacation..

7. Blake says:

I’m so blessed to have a pastor who’s willing to suffer like this for the good on the community. I appreciate it P.E. Don’t let the difficulty of the situation get you down. If you find yourself in need, remember Romans 4:7-12 (end sarcasm) 😉 … You better not come back with a tan.

8. vince says:

Pastor Mygene, yes someone has to do it, you are a good sport. Beautiful photo Leo, and you are also a good sport to travel so far for business. Nice Hawaiin sunset too. Hey wait a minute, that looks exactly like Puget Sound! And the Olympic Mountains!

Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. Thanks for your prayers.
I have numerous stories to share but for now, the following came up in every conversation with Iraqi/Syrian refugees:

1 Have tea with us. Or coffee. Or juice. Or something with lots of sugar in it. Or better yet, all of the above.
2 We want peace. We want security.
3 We hate ISIS.
4 We just want to go home.
5 Please don't forget us.

Please don't forget them... Father, please bless and protect these Iraqi and Syrian "refugee" children that have already endured so much. Protect their hearts and mind from unfathomable trauma. Plant seeds of hope and vision in their lives. And as we pray for them, teach us how to advocate for them. Amen. "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." -  local Iraqi priest whose church has welcomed many "relatives" to their church's property

It's always a privilege to be invited into peoples' home for tea - even if it's a temporary tent. This is an extended Yezidi family that fled the Mosul, Iraq area because of ISIS. It's indeed true that Christians were targeted by ISIS and thatbstory muat be shared but other minority groups like the Yezidis were also targeted. Some of their heartbreaking stories included the kidnapping of their sister. They shared that their father passed away shortly of a "broken heart." The conversation was emotional but afterwards, we asked each other for permission to take photos. Once the selfies came out, the real smiles came out.

So friends: Pray for Iraq. Pray for the persecuted Church. Pray for Christians, minority groups like the Yezidis who fear they will e completely wiped out in the Middle East,, and Muslims alike who are all suffering under ISIS. Friends: I'm traveling in the Middle East this week - Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. (Make sure you follow my pics/stories on IG stories). Specifically, I'm here representing @onedayswages to meet, learn, and listen to pastors, local leaders, NGOs, and of course directly from refugees from within these countries - including many from Syria.

For security purposes, I haven't been able to share at all but I'm now able to start sharing some photos and stories. For now, I'll be sharing numerous photos through my IG stories and will be sharing some longer written pieces in couple months when ODW launches another wave of partnerships to come alongside refugees in these areas. Four of us are traveling together also for the purpose of creating a short documentary that we hope to release early next year.

While I'm on my church sabbatical, it's truly a privilege to be able to come to these countries and to meet local pastors and indigenous leaders that tirelessly pursue peace and justice, and to hear directly from refugees. I've read so many various articles and pieces over the years and I thought I was prepared but it has been jarring, heartbreaking,  and gut wrenching. In the midst of such chaos, there's hope but there's also a lot of questions, too.

I hope you follow along as I share photos, stories, and help release this mini-documentary. Please tag friends that might be interested.

Please pray for safety, for empathy, for humility and integrity, for divine meetings. Pray that we listen well; To be present and not just be a consumer of these vulnerable stories. That's my biggest prayer.

Special thanks to @worldvisionusa and @worldrelief for hosting us on this journey. 9/11
Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.

Today, I had some gut wrenching and heart breaking conversations about war, violence, and peacemaking. Mostly, I listened. Never in my wildest imagination did I envision having these conversations on 9/11 of all days. I wish I could share more now but I hope to later after I process them for a few days.

But indeed: Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.
May it be so. Amen. Mount Rainier is simply epic. There's nothing like flying in and out of Seattle.

#mountrainier
#seattle
#northwestisbest

• Boom. Final fishing trip. Grateful. A nice way to end my 3 month sabbatical. #catchandrelease twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 20 hours ago
  • Christians: May we be guided by the Scriptures that remind us, "Seek first the Kingdom of God" and not, "Seek first the kingdom of America." || 21 hours ago
  • Every convo with Iraqi/Syrian refugees included: 1 Have tea with us 2 We want peace 3 We hate ISIS 4 We want to go home 5 Don't forget us || 3 days ago
  • Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan to assess @OneDaysWages' partnerships & to film mini-documentary on refugee crisis. So many emotions. || 3 days ago
  • Pray for Mexico. For those mourning loved ones. For those fighting for life - even under rubbles. For rescue workers. Lord, in your mercy. || 3 days ago
  • Don't underestimate what God can do through you. God has a very long history of using foolish and broken people for His purposes and glory. || 6 days ago