work and rest in hawaii

Well, someone’s gotta do it.  I’m flying out to Hawaii today with my family to officiate the weddings for two of our church couples next weekend.  I’m committed to my congregation so even if it forces me to fly out to Hawaii, I’ll take one for the team.

After a very busy summer, I’m excited and glad to be taking a few days off not only to rest but to enjoy some quality time with my family as well.  This past summer was probably one of the more intense periods of recent years.  Minhee and I also went to Hawaii over 10 years ago as part of our extended honeymoon travels so it’ll be good to go back to mark our 10 year anniversary this past February.

Now, I’m only hoping that the rains will cease in Hawaii.  I was told today that it absolutely poured for couple days in Hawaii and a flash flood warning has been released.  Great.

Regardless, congratulations to Andy and Diana and to Peter and Lotus [pictured below].  Photo by Leo Chen Photography.  I’ll be blogging through the week through some stuff I’ve written in recent weeks and some photos I’ll post to let folks know how much I’m suffering.  🙂

peterlotus.jpg

Filed under: family, travel, ,

1. leochen says:

I can’t wait for some WARM RAIN! =) Actually, you get to see tons of rainbows between the down pours, especially in the direction of UH in Manoa Valley. Have a great trip! See you in Hawaii!!

2. Jezla says:

Tough job! Have fun and God Bless!

3. LK. says:

i’ll just tell you right now that my wedding is going to take place in longview…now there’s something to look forward to.

4. Randall says:

If you like fish I HIGHLY recommend eating the fried poke dish (or it might be called seared ahi) at a place called You Hungry. It’s a real hole-in-the-wall joint right across the street from the Hawaii Convention Center (not too far from Waikiki).

So good, going broke your mouth! (translation: it’s really tasty)

5. e cho says:

lk: umm, leah can officiate that wedding.

randall: let me know if u have any other suggestions. we’re staying in waikiki.

6. Wayne Park says:

e: sorry I called – you must’ve been in flight. No biggie – we’re ok..
    maybe we’ll connect online or something – enjoy your vacation..

7. Blake says:

I’m so blessed to have a pastor who’s willing to suffer like this for the good on the community. I appreciate it P.E. Don’t let the difficulty of the situation get you down. If you find yourself in need, remember Romans 4:7-12 (end sarcasm) 😉 … You better not come back with a tan.

8. vince says:

Pastor Mygene, yes someone has to do it, you are a good sport. Beautiful photo Leo, and you are also a good sport to travel so far for business. Nice Hawaiin sunset too. Hey wait a minute, that looks exactly like Puget Sound! And the Olympic Mountains!

Window seat. For the win. As leaders, we must not see ministry and family as competing commitments.  We must not sacrifice our marriage and kids for the sake of "ministry." How can we? Loving our families IS ministry & good leadership.

And on a side note, we took this goofy photo for Mother's Day last Sunday at @seattlequest. I was shocked! What in the world happened to our kids? Our 13 year old son blocked four of my shots on the basketball court yesterday. He's since been grounded... I fear that we ask God to move mountains, forgetting that God also wants to move us.

In fact, it's possible that we are that mountain. Time flies. The eldest is wrapping up her 1st year in college and the college tours have begun for the 2nd child. The youngest enters high school in the Fall. Can't say enough about how proud Minhee and I are of the kids - not just of their accomplishments but the people they are and are becoming.

But...man...we can't wait to party it up when we're emptynesters. Party at our house. It's going to be epic. Humbled. Grateful. Mindful of God's grace and faithfulness in my life. It's all grace... It's an unexpected honor to be invited back - even with some mini-drama - to @princetonseminary to receive the 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award - exactly 25 years after starting my journey there as a student in 1992. Wow.

Princeton isn't necessarily for everyone. And to say that I loved everything about my experience would be misleading but it was very formative. Ir challenged me to examine why I believed in what I believed. It reminded me that God could handle my questions. It prepared me for a post-Christian context where I am not entitled to be heard but I had to earn the right to be heard, and of course, it taught me that all is good with a Philly cheese steak at Hoagie Haven.

No one is an island to themselves and I am certainly an example of that. Many people - women and men, young and old, and of many backgrounds - prayed, encouraged, mentored, and loved me along the way. Grateful for my professors at seminary, my many classmates, and the numerous fellow staff and co-laborers I've had the privilege of serving Christ with past and present. And of course, I'm forever inspired by my parents, my children, and my wife, Minhee. Thank you for your faith, hope, and love...and oh, for your patience. Only your family will know and see both the best and worst of you. They've seen my worst...and keep on believing in me.

Thank you again, PTS and President Barnes, for this honor. Then, today, and tomorrow...by God's grace, just striving to be faithful to my Lord and Savior...to preach and live out the convictions of the whole Gospel. Amen. So humbled and grateful to be with @catalystleader in Cincinnati to encourage leaders from all around the country about the invitation to Uncommon Fellowship.

Preached from John 4. We can talk, preach, sing, philsophize, liturgize, and spit rhymes about Samaria...but we still have to talk through Samaria.

• Heartbroken. Praying for Manchester & the UK. For those mourning loved ones. For those injured and fighting for life. Lord, in your mercy. || 10 hours ago
  • Window seat. For the win. https://t.co/yG66Sm2bvu || 2 days ago
  • As leaders, we must not sacrifice our family for the sake of ministry because loving our family IS good leadership: instagram.com/p/BUVAGVwg-5z/ || 2 days ago
  • We long for a Gospel that comforts but resist the Gospel that disrupts. Having the former without the latter seduces us into complacency. || 2 days ago
  • Love wins in the end but in the meanwhile,it fights for things that matter. Love isn't sentimental. It's both gentle & fierce. Love endures. || 3 days ago
  • This is what we love to do. Empowering local, indigenous leaders to serve their own communities. Thanks for your su… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 3 days ago