work and rest in hawaii

Well, someone’s gotta do it.  I’m flying out to Hawaii today with my family to officiate the weddings for two of our church couples next weekend.  I’m committed to my congregation so even if it forces me to fly out to Hawaii, I’ll take one for the team.

After a very busy summer, I’m excited and glad to be taking a few days off not only to rest but to enjoy some quality time with my family as well.  This past summer was probably one of the more intense periods of recent years.  Minhee and I also went to Hawaii over 10 years ago as part of our extended honeymoon travels so it’ll be good to go back to mark our 10 year anniversary this past February.

Now, I’m only hoping that the rains will cease in Hawaii.  I was told today that it absolutely poured for couple days in Hawaii and a flash flood warning has been released.  Great.

Regardless, congratulations to Andy and Diana and to Peter and Lotus [pictured below].  Photo by Leo Chen Photography.  I’ll be blogging through the week through some stuff I’ve written in recent weeks and some photos I’ll post to let folks know how much I’m suffering.  🙂

peterlotus.jpg

Filed under: family, travel, ,

1. leochen says:

I can’t wait for some WARM RAIN! =) Actually, you get to see tons of rainbows between the down pours, especially in the direction of UH in Manoa Valley. Have a great trip! See you in Hawaii!!

2. Jezla says:

Tough job! Have fun and God Bless!

3. LK. says:

i’ll just tell you right now that my wedding is going to take place in longview…now there’s something to look forward to.

4. Randall says:

If you like fish I HIGHLY recommend eating the fried poke dish (or it might be called seared ahi) at a place called You Hungry. It’s a real hole-in-the-wall joint right across the street from the Hawaii Convention Center (not too far from Waikiki).

So good, going broke your mouth! (translation: it’s really tasty)

5. e cho says:

lk: umm, leah can officiate that wedding.

randall: let me know if u have any other suggestions. we’re staying in waikiki.

6. Wayne Park says:

e: sorry I called – you must’ve been in flight. No biggie – we’re ok..
    maybe we’ll connect online or something – enjoy your vacation..

7. Blake says:

I’m so blessed to have a pastor who’s willing to suffer like this for the good on the community. I appreciate it P.E. Don’t let the difficulty of the situation get you down. If you find yourself in need, remember Romans 4:7-12 (end sarcasm) 😉 … You better not come back with a tan.

8. vince says:

Pastor Mygene, yes someone has to do it, you are a good sport. Beautiful photo Leo, and you are also a good sport to travel so far for business. Nice Hawaiin sunset too. Hey wait a minute, that looks exactly like Puget Sound! And the Olympic Mountains!

In our culture, we can be so obsessed with the "spectacular" or "glamorous." The Church often engagws in thia language and paradigm...but what if God has called many of us to small, ordinary things?

Will we still be faithful?
Will we still go about such things with great love and joy?

I recently came across this picture taken by @mattylew, one of our church staff...and I started tearing up: This is my mother; in her 70s; with realities of some disabilities that make it difficult for her to stand up and sit down...but here she is on her knees and prostate in prayer. She doesn't have any social media accounts, barely knows how to use her smartphone, doesn't have a platform, hasn't written a book, doesn't have any titles in our church, isn't listed as a leader or an expert or a consultant or a guru. But she simply seeks to do her best - by God's grace - to be faithful to God. She prays for hours every day inteceding for our family, our church, and the larger world.

Even if we're not noticed or celebrated or elevated...let's be faithful. Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant. And not even successful in the eyes of the world.

Be faithful. Amen. #notetoself (and maybe helpful for someone else)

At times, we have to say ‘NO’ to good things to say ‘YES’ to the most important things.

We can't do it all.
Pray and choose wisely.
Then invest deeply. May our compassion not just be limited to the West or to those that look like us. Lifting up the people of Iraq, Iran, and Kurdistan in prayer after the 7.3 earthquake - including the many new friends I met on a recent trip to Iraq.

The death toll rises to over 400 and over 7,000 injured in multiple cities and hundreds of villages along the Western border with Iraq.

Lord, in your mercy... We are reminded again and again...that we are Resurrection People living in a Dark Friday world.

It's been a tough, emotional, and painful week - especially as we lament the horrible tragedy of the church shootings at Sutherland Springs. In the midst of this lament, I've been carried by the hope, beauty, and promise of our baptisms last Sunday and the raw and honest testimonies of God's mercy, love, and grace.

Indeed, God is not yet done. May we take heart for Christ has overcome the world. "Without genuine relationships with the poor, we rob them of their dignity and they become mere projects. And God did not intend for anyone to become our projects." Grateful this quote from my book, Overrated, is resonating with so many folks - individuals and  NGOs. / design by @preemptivelove .
May we keep working