jessica alba, tatas, and breast cancer

Ok, I could have titled this blog a lot of different things but whatever.  It’s not my hope to offend anyone with the usage of “tatas” but please read on before you boycott this blog or choose to send me more hate email.  It’s appropriate since October is Breast Cancer awareness month.  While I haven’t had any immediate family impacted by breast cancer, I know several friends and parishioners that have been impacted.  Have you personally been impacted or someone in your family?  Would you mind sharing?

But tell me the truth, I made you look with the reference to Jessica Alba, right? If you read the whole entry, there’s a picture of Jessica below…

Thanks to Facebook, I reconnected with a friend from college.  I think I met Julia [now] Fiske in 1993 at UC Davis.  I was a sophomore and she was a freshman.  A group of guys [including Randy K. from Quest] on the 3rd floor of Hughes Hall and a group of gals from the 2nd floor hung out.  Just good friendship.  We were all Christians.  For me, their friendship was of great support for me since I was relatively a new Christian.

Anyway, I was very encouraged to read that Julia is a business entrepreneur.  After working as a designer in couple other companies, she started her own company called, Save the Tatas.  Yes, Tatas = another word for breasts.  Some folks may find it offensive but I thought it was ingenious because there’s a PURPOSE.  Here’s the mission of the company:

Ta-tas® Brand Clothing cares about women and their families. That’s why we are committed to making a significant contribution in the fight against cancer. We do this by giving 5% of our gross sales to the fight against the disease. That means, with every sale, every item, every day, all year, every year for as long as we exist, we are fighting cancer from every angle we can. And since our launch in 2004, we have given almost $125,000 to the fight against cancer.

By giving 5% of our gross sales to carefully researched cancer fighting organizations we are fighting the battle on the medical front, in the community and meeting the personal needs of people struggling with the disease.

I’ve been thinking much about stewardship – as a Christian and simply as a human being – and some of the commitments I’ve made as a younger man.  I’m 37, married, 3 kids, own a mortgage, own 3 cars, etc.  I do my part and consider myself generous but feel like I can do so much more with my time, talents, and treasures.  I want to be extravagant.  Tithing is such a small concept.  It really is.  Many of us see tithing as the goal but instead, it should simply be seen as a baseline from where we can grow in our giving.

Additonally, it’s my hope to see others – particularly young people in this and future generations – be creative and dream.  We live in a context where we have SO MUCH and can do so much for others around the larger world that have so little.   Julia’s story is encouraging because it’s an example of how folks can work or create enterprises that generate funds for worthwhile causes.  That is beautiful stewardship!  Her story was recently feature in Newsweek Magazine:

The 2nd Base shirts aren’t the only edgy brand of breast-cancer apparel out there. Since 2004, Los Angeles designer Julie Fikse has sold more than 80,000 shirts carrying variations on the message “Save the Ta-Tas”—and donated $80,000 [correction: $125K] of her profits to breast-cancer charities. Both slogans garner mostly chuckles and enthusiasm, though a few people have reacted negatively, criticizing them as too crude…

How cool is that!

Oh.  Here’s the picture of Ms. Alba from the company’s website.  Enjoy.  🙂

alba.jpg

Filed under: entertainment, religion

1. KH says:

Umm, it’s hard to be offended when I had no idea what TaTas were. But thanks for calling our attention to Breast Cancer Awareness. I have two aunts who lives were deeply impacted by breast cancer.

2. kent says:

I learned a new word today. I was clueless. Whatever we can do help with this issue.

3. Reyes-Chow says:

Um yeah, me too, I had no idea what “tata’s” were. No really, um, ah . . . and this Jessica Alba women . . . she was in the Oscar worthy movie, “Honey” correct 😉

4. Jennifer says:

Me either…I had no idea what tatas are, or who Jessica Alba is. Shrug 🙂

But I love the idea that creativity in giving produes a lot more energy and investment.

5. e cho says:

What? You guys didn’t know what tatas were? You guys are so 1980s. 🙂

Ok, FWIW, I didn’t either but had to look it up in the urban dictionary.

6. Dan H says:

It’s kind of funny when we need to do research in order to be properly offended. 🙂

7. Dan says:

Tata means grandpa in Spanish. At least that’s what my kids call their Mexican grandfather. I thought this was going in a completely different direction. . .

8. worinld says:

I wonder if it’s cuz we’er all in this christian bubble that we didn’t know what tatas were.

lol

I didn’t know that word either… (though i did know the crude reference for the 2nd base shirts….)

9. Kacie says:

nope, I don’t think so, because I grew up overseas in the missionary kid bubble and then attended Bible school, but I DO know what tatas are!

10. kent says:

Yeah so I am 52 so what. punk kid…. what is FWIW?? Where’s my Geritol. it is time for Wheel of Fortune.

11. Leo says:

this is why your blog was rated “R” ! =)

12. Marlene says:

LOL…loved the article…am a member of the Ta-Ta Sisterhood…interesting so many people did not know what they were.

13. timiekley says:

I think tatas are an interesting word. I am not sure where it even came from. Whatever the reason, your post made me laugh – Thanks.

14. titus2woman says:

MORE hate mail? So sorry to hear it’s ever happened at all~yikes! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

15. titus2woman says:

Okay, I know I’m back, but people get upset over this stuff? Come on! Tatas are just a part of life, people! LOL! (((((HUGS))))) sandi~really leavin’ now!

16. gar says:

I’m scared to think of the t-shirts that guys will make for testicular and colon cancer.

17. tatas is more like a bill and ted’s or wayne’s world type of term, but i have heard of it!

18. Blake says:

I’ve known a few of my mom’s friends that were touched by breast cancer and by the grace of God they’ve all survived.

Thanks for the laugh, Kent. 😀 Here’s the only other tag-line your comment was missing: “Get off my lawn!” 😉

Gar: Good stuff . 😀

19. The term “tata’s” is not new … I think I first heard it in “An Officer and a Gentleman” … but when I read the name ‘Jessica Alba’ I had to ask “who?”

I pay little attention to celebrities. On the whole, I don’t think that they add much to the discussion. For me, ‘celebrities’ are part and parcel of that ‘world’ which Jesus said his followers would be no part of. (John 15:19)

Window seat. For the win. As leaders, we must not see ministry and family as competing commitments.  We must not sacrifice our marriage and kids for the sake of "ministry." How can we? Loving our families IS ministry & good leadership.

And on a side note, we took this goofy photo for Mother's Day last Sunday at @seattlequest. I was shocked! What in the world happened to our kids? Our 13 year old son blocked four of my shots on the basketball court yesterday. He's since been grounded... I fear that we ask God to move mountains, forgetting that God also wants to move us.

In fact, it's possible that we are that mountain. Time flies. The eldest is wrapping up her 1st year in college and the college tours have begun for the 2nd child. The youngest enters high school in the Fall. Can't say enough about how proud Minhee and I are of the kids - not just of their accomplishments but the people they are and are becoming.

But...man...we can't wait to party it up when we're emptynesters. Party at our house. It's going to be epic. Humbled. Grateful. Mindful of God's grace and faithfulness in my life. It's all grace... It's an unexpected honor to be invited back - even with some mini-drama - to @princetonseminary to receive the 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award - exactly 25 years after starting my journey there as a student in 1992. Wow.

Princeton isn't necessarily for everyone. And to say that I loved everything about my experience would be misleading but it was very formative. Ir challenged me to examine why I believed in what I believed. It reminded me that God could handle my questions. It prepared me for a post-Christian context where I am not entitled to be heard but I had to earn the right to be heard, and of course, it taught me that all is good with a Philly cheese steak at Hoagie Haven.

No one is an island to themselves and I am certainly an example of that. Many people - women and men, young and old, and of many backgrounds - prayed, encouraged, mentored, and loved me along the way. Grateful for my professors at seminary, my many classmates, and the numerous fellow staff and co-laborers I've had the privilege of serving Christ with past and present. And of course, I'm forever inspired by my parents, my children, and my wife, Minhee. Thank you for your faith, hope, and love...and oh, for your patience. Only your family will know and see both the best and worst of you. They've seen my worst...and keep on believing in me.

Thank you again, PTS and President Barnes, for this honor. Then, today, and tomorrow...by God's grace, just striving to be faithful to my Lord and Savior...to preach and live out the convictions of the whole Gospel. Amen. So humbled and grateful to be with @catalystleader in Cincinnati to encourage leaders from all around the country about the invitation to Uncommon Fellowship.

Preached from John 4. We can talk, preach, sing, philsophize, liturgize, and spit rhymes about Samaria...but we still have to talk through Samaria.

• "They got money for wars but can't feed the poor." ~ Tupac #trumpbudget || 2 days ago
  • Heartbroken. Praying for Manchester & the UK. For those mourning loved ones. For those injured and fighting for life. Lord, in your mercy. || 3 days ago
  • Window seat. For the win. https://t.co/yG66Sm2bvu || 5 days ago
  • As leaders, we must not sacrifice our family for the sake of ministry because loving our family IS good leadership: instagram.com/p/BUVAGVwg-5z/ || 5 days ago
  • We long for a Gospel that comforts but resist the Gospel that disrupts. Having the former without the latter seduces us into complacency. || 5 days ago
  • Love wins in the end but in the meanwhile,it fights for things that matter. Love isn't sentimental. It's both gentle & fierce. Love endures. || 1 week ago