jessica alba, tatas, and breast cancer

Ok, I could have titled this blog a lot of different things but whatever.  It’s not my hope to offend anyone with the usage of “tatas” but please read on before you boycott this blog or choose to send me more hate email.  It’s appropriate since October is Breast Cancer awareness month.  While I haven’t had any immediate family impacted by breast cancer, I know several friends and parishioners that have been impacted.  Have you personally been impacted or someone in your family?  Would you mind sharing?

But tell me the truth, I made you look with the reference to Jessica Alba, right? If you read the whole entry, there’s a picture of Jessica below…

Thanks to Facebook, I reconnected with a friend from college.  I think I met Julia [now] Fiske in 1993 at UC Davis.  I was a sophomore and she was a freshman.  A group of guys [including Randy K. from Quest] on the 3rd floor of Hughes Hall and a group of gals from the 2nd floor hung out.  Just good friendship.  We were all Christians.  For me, their friendship was of great support for me since I was relatively a new Christian.

Anyway, I was very encouraged to read that Julia is a business entrepreneur.  After working as a designer in couple other companies, she started her own company called, Save the Tatas.  Yes, Tatas = another word for breasts.  Some folks may find it offensive but I thought it was ingenious because there’s a PURPOSE.  Here’s the mission of the company:

Ta-tas® Brand Clothing cares about women and their families. That’s why we are committed to making a significant contribution in the fight against cancer. We do this by giving 5% of our gross sales to the fight against the disease. That means, with every sale, every item, every day, all year, every year for as long as we exist, we are fighting cancer from every angle we can. And since our launch in 2004, we have given almost $125,000 to the fight against cancer.

By giving 5% of our gross sales to carefully researched cancer fighting organizations we are fighting the battle on the medical front, in the community and meeting the personal needs of people struggling with the disease.

I’ve been thinking much about stewardship – as a Christian and simply as a human being – and some of the commitments I’ve made as a younger man.  I’m 37, married, 3 kids, own a mortgage, own 3 cars, etc.  I do my part and consider myself generous but feel like I can do so much more with my time, talents, and treasures.  I want to be extravagant.  Tithing is such a small concept.  It really is.  Many of us see tithing as the goal but instead, it should simply be seen as a baseline from where we can grow in our giving.

Additonally, it’s my hope to see others – particularly young people in this and future generations – be creative and dream.  We live in a context where we have SO MUCH and can do so much for others around the larger world that have so little.   Julia’s story is encouraging because it’s an example of how folks can work or create enterprises that generate funds for worthwhile causes.  That is beautiful stewardship!  Her story was recently feature in Newsweek Magazine:

The 2nd Base shirts aren’t the only edgy brand of breast-cancer apparel out there. Since 2004, Los Angeles designer Julie Fikse has sold more than 80,000 shirts carrying variations on the message “Save the Ta-Tas”—and donated $80,000 [correction: $125K] of her profits to breast-cancer charities. Both slogans garner mostly chuckles and enthusiasm, though a few people have reacted negatively, criticizing them as too crude…

How cool is that!

Oh.  Here’s the picture of Ms. Alba from the company’s website.  Enjoy.  🙂

alba.jpg

Filed under: entertainment, religion

1. KH says:

Umm, it’s hard to be offended when I had no idea what TaTas were. But thanks for calling our attention to Breast Cancer Awareness. I have two aunts who lives were deeply impacted by breast cancer.

2. kent says:

I learned a new word today. I was clueless. Whatever we can do help with this issue.

3. Reyes-Chow says:

Um yeah, me too, I had no idea what “tata’s” were. No really, um, ah . . . and this Jessica Alba women . . . she was in the Oscar worthy movie, “Honey” correct 😉

4. Jennifer says:

Me either…I had no idea what tatas are, or who Jessica Alba is. Shrug 🙂

But I love the idea that creativity in giving produes a lot more energy and investment.

5. e cho says:

What? You guys didn’t know what tatas were? You guys are so 1980s. 🙂

Ok, FWIW, I didn’t either but had to look it up in the urban dictionary.

6. Dan H says:

It’s kind of funny when we need to do research in order to be properly offended. 🙂

7. Dan says:

Tata means grandpa in Spanish. At least that’s what my kids call their Mexican grandfather. I thought this was going in a completely different direction. . .

8. worinld says:

I wonder if it’s cuz we’er all in this christian bubble that we didn’t know what tatas were.

lol

I didn’t know that word either… (though i did know the crude reference for the 2nd base shirts….)

9. Kacie says:

nope, I don’t think so, because I grew up overseas in the missionary kid bubble and then attended Bible school, but I DO know what tatas are!

10. kent says:

Yeah so I am 52 so what. punk kid…. what is FWIW?? Where’s my Geritol. it is time for Wheel of Fortune.

11. Leo says:

this is why your blog was rated “R” ! =)

12. Marlene says:

LOL…loved the article…am a member of the Ta-Ta Sisterhood…interesting so many people did not know what they were.

13. timiekley says:

I think tatas are an interesting word. I am not sure where it even came from. Whatever the reason, your post made me laugh – Thanks.

14. titus2woman says:

MORE hate mail? So sorry to hear it’s ever happened at all~yikes! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

15. titus2woman says:

Okay, I know I’m back, but people get upset over this stuff? Come on! Tatas are just a part of life, people! LOL! (((((HUGS))))) sandi~really leavin’ now!

16. gar says:

I’m scared to think of the t-shirts that guys will make for testicular and colon cancer.

17. tatas is more like a bill and ted’s or wayne’s world type of term, but i have heard of it!

18. Blake says:

I’ve known a few of my mom’s friends that were touched by breast cancer and by the grace of God they’ve all survived.

Thanks for the laugh, Kent. 😀 Here’s the only other tag-line your comment was missing: “Get off my lawn!” 😉

Gar: Good stuff . 😀

19. The term “tata’s” is not new … I think I first heard it in “An Officer and a Gentleman” … but when I read the name ‘Jessica Alba’ I had to ask “who?”

I pay little attention to celebrities. On the whole, I don’t think that they add much to the discussion. For me, ‘celebrities’ are part and parcel of that ‘world’ which Jesus said his followers would be no part of. (John 15:19)

"He must become greater; I must become less." - John 3:30 We have to remind ourselves of this truth every day lest we forget:

Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant.

Be faithful.

PS: Also, it helps to get some Vitamin D especially if you live in the rainy Northwest Thank you, Brooklyn, for the reminder. Umm, @jlin7 is a Christian but he wasn't very Christlike with me on the basketball court. He muscled me into the paint, dunked on me, mentioned my momma, and then said, "Stick with preaching." Just kidding. Kind of.

If you haven't heard, Jeremy Lin is donating his one games wages (approximately $140,000) and an additional $100 for every 3 pointer made to support Girls' Empowerment and Education through @onedayswages. That game is this Friday vs the Boston Celtics!

Join his campaign as he's inviting his fans to donate just $7. - http://onedayswages.org/jlin

Did you know that 32 million girls of lower secondary school age are not enrolled in school.

Did you know that every year of secondary school increases a girl’s future earning power by 20 percent.

Did you know that if all girls in Sub-Saharan Africa, South and West Asia had a secondary education, child marriage would fall by 64 percent.

We can't change the entire world but we can impact the lives of one, few, and in some cases...many.

#jeremylin #jlin #linsanity #onedayswages Don't be held captive to either praise or criticism.

Know who you are.
Know what you're about.
Know WHO you serve.

The answer to who you serve makes all the difference... It's the day after International Women's Day - and it's still important to celebrate the contribution of women in our lives, society, and world. As we honor women all around the world, I'm also reminded of how women and children are those who are most deeply impacted by injustice - especially poverty.

Sadly, I have witnessed this reality in too many places. ​In 2012, I traveled to a remote area in Eastern Kenya as part of a @onedayswages response to a famine that struck the Horn of Africa region. This famine impacted nearly 13 million people and according to some sources, took the lives of about 250,000 people. During my trip there, I had the chance of meeting many people but the person that still remains in my memory was a Muslim woman named Sahara.

She was so hospitable in inviting us to her small and temporary home. During our conversation, I learned that ​Sahara traveled 300 kilometers (a little under 200 miles) – some by cart and some by foot – as they sought to escape the worst drought that has impacted East Africa (Kenya, Somalia, and Ethiopia) in the past 60 years.

This is not a misprint.
200.

She traveled about 200 miles on cart and foot. ​And all along, she was ill. If you look closely ​at the photo, you might notice the large lump in her throat - likely a large cancerous tumor.​ She did not travel alone. She traveled with her husband who I was not able to meet because he was staying with one of his five other wives in this polygamist community.  She did not travel alone. She also traveled with her six children – the youngest being about 1 and the oldest being around 8. She had just given birth to her sixth child when they began her journey. Her youngest was severely malnourished when they arrived to this new settlement in a town called Benane.
Sahara and her children all survived this journey. They survived because she persisted.
In honor of Sahara...and so many other women who keep...keeping on.