jessica alba, tatas, and breast cancer

Ok, I could have titled this blog a lot of different things but whatever.  It’s not my hope to offend anyone with the usage of “tatas” but please read on before you boycott this blog or choose to send me more hate email.  It’s appropriate since October is Breast Cancer awareness month.  While I haven’t had any immediate family impacted by breast cancer, I know several friends and parishioners that have been impacted.  Have you personally been impacted or someone in your family?  Would you mind sharing?

But tell me the truth, I made you look with the reference to Jessica Alba, right? If you read the whole entry, there’s a picture of Jessica below…

Thanks to Facebook, I reconnected with a friend from college.  I think I met Julia [now] Fiske in 1993 at UC Davis.  I was a sophomore and she was a freshman.  A group of guys [including Randy K. from Quest] on the 3rd floor of Hughes Hall and a group of gals from the 2nd floor hung out.  Just good friendship.  We were all Christians.  For me, their friendship was of great support for me since I was relatively a new Christian.

Anyway, I was very encouraged to read that Julia is a business entrepreneur.  After working as a designer in couple other companies, she started her own company called, Save the Tatas.  Yes, Tatas = another word for breasts.  Some folks may find it offensive but I thought it was ingenious because there’s a PURPOSE.  Here’s the mission of the company:

Ta-tas® Brand Clothing cares about women and their families. That’s why we are committed to making a significant contribution in the fight against cancer. We do this by giving 5% of our gross sales to the fight against the disease. That means, with every sale, every item, every day, all year, every year for as long as we exist, we are fighting cancer from every angle we can. And since our launch in 2004, we have given almost $125,000 to the fight against cancer.

By giving 5% of our gross sales to carefully researched cancer fighting organizations we are fighting the battle on the medical front, in the community and meeting the personal needs of people struggling with the disease.

I’ve been thinking much about stewardship – as a Christian and simply as a human being – and some of the commitments I’ve made as a younger man.  I’m 37, married, 3 kids, own a mortgage, own 3 cars, etc.  I do my part and consider myself generous but feel like I can do so much more with my time, talents, and treasures.  I want to be extravagant.  Tithing is such a small concept.  It really is.  Many of us see tithing as the goal but instead, it should simply be seen as a baseline from where we can grow in our giving.

Additonally, it’s my hope to see others – particularly young people in this and future generations – be creative and dream.  We live in a context where we have SO MUCH and can do so much for others around the larger world that have so little.   Julia’s story is encouraging because it’s an example of how folks can work or create enterprises that generate funds for worthwhile causes.  That is beautiful stewardship!  Her story was recently feature in Newsweek Magazine:

The 2nd Base shirts aren’t the only edgy brand of breast-cancer apparel out there. Since 2004, Los Angeles designer Julie Fikse has sold more than 80,000 shirts carrying variations on the message “Save the Ta-Tas”—and donated $80,000 [correction: $125K] of her profits to breast-cancer charities. Both slogans garner mostly chuckles and enthusiasm, though a few people have reacted negatively, criticizing them as too crude…

How cool is that!

Oh.  Here’s the picture of Ms. Alba from the company’s website.  Enjoy.  🙂

alba.jpg

Filed under: entertainment, religion

1. KH says:

Umm, it’s hard to be offended when I had no idea what TaTas were. But thanks for calling our attention to Breast Cancer Awareness. I have two aunts who lives were deeply impacted by breast cancer.

2. kent says:

I learned a new word today. I was clueless. Whatever we can do help with this issue.

3. Reyes-Chow says:

Um yeah, me too, I had no idea what “tata’s” were. No really, um, ah . . . and this Jessica Alba women . . . she was in the Oscar worthy movie, “Honey” correct 😉

4. Jennifer says:

Me either…I had no idea what tatas are, or who Jessica Alba is. Shrug 🙂

But I love the idea that creativity in giving produes a lot more energy and investment.

5. e cho says:

What? You guys didn’t know what tatas were? You guys are so 1980s. 🙂

Ok, FWIW, I didn’t either but had to look it up in the urban dictionary.

6. Dan H says:

It’s kind of funny when we need to do research in order to be properly offended. 🙂

7. Dan says:

Tata means grandpa in Spanish. At least that’s what my kids call their Mexican grandfather. I thought this was going in a completely different direction. . .

8. worinld says:

I wonder if it’s cuz we’er all in this christian bubble that we didn’t know what tatas were.

lol

I didn’t know that word either… (though i did know the crude reference for the 2nd base shirts….)

9. Kacie says:

nope, I don’t think so, because I grew up overseas in the missionary kid bubble and then attended Bible school, but I DO know what tatas are!

10. kent says:

Yeah so I am 52 so what. punk kid…. what is FWIW?? Where’s my Geritol. it is time for Wheel of Fortune.

11. Leo says:

this is why your blog was rated “R” ! =)

12. Marlene says:

LOL…loved the article…am a member of the Ta-Ta Sisterhood…interesting so many people did not know what they were.

13. timiekley says:

I think tatas are an interesting word. I am not sure where it even came from. Whatever the reason, your post made me laugh – Thanks.

14. titus2woman says:

MORE hate mail? So sorry to hear it’s ever happened at all~yikes! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

15. titus2woman says:

Okay, I know I’m back, but people get upset over this stuff? Come on! Tatas are just a part of life, people! LOL! (((((HUGS))))) sandi~really leavin’ now!

16. gar says:

I’m scared to think of the t-shirts that guys will make for testicular and colon cancer.

17. tatas is more like a bill and ted’s or wayne’s world type of term, but i have heard of it!

18. Blake says:

I’ve known a few of my mom’s friends that were touched by breast cancer and by the grace of God they’ve all survived.

Thanks for the laugh, Kent. 😀 Here’s the only other tag-line your comment was missing: “Get off my lawn!” 😉

Gar: Good stuff . 😀

19. The term “tata’s” is not new … I think I first heard it in “An Officer and a Gentleman” … but when I read the name ‘Jessica Alba’ I had to ask “who?”

I pay little attention to celebrities. On the whole, I don’t think that they add much to the discussion. For me, ‘celebrities’ are part and parcel of that ‘world’ which Jesus said his followers would be no part of. (John 15:19)

To support both the equality of women and the dignity of the unborn feels like a very lonely place to be but I know we're not alone. May we press on. And may we lead with hope.

I'm at the Women's March in Seattle to show my solidarity with my wife, my mothers, my daughters, and the female congregants of my church. I'm also here to model for my son what we believe in our home. Many people have already expressed their disappointment, dismay, and disgust with my decision. Such is life. We will always disappoint someone. And that's also a lot of words that begin with "d." I'm here not because I agree or disagree with every single statement or sign at this march (although I really liked this one) but because as a Christian, I believe in the fundamental truth that women are fearfully and wonderfully made in the image of God. They are to be valued, heard, and respected.

And because I believe we can't be a flourishing society without the flourishing of women. And because the Church cannot be the Church without the gifts and voices of women. All the gifts of women.

And in doing so, may we together honor the sanctity of life - from womb to tomb. Collaboration.

col·lab·o·ra·tion
kəˌlabəˈrāSH(ə)n/
noun

the action of working with someone or a group of others  to produce or create something.

May we hold our logos, egos, and tribalism have their place. May we hold them loosely for they too shall pass. May we collaborate for the sake of the greater Kingdom of God ... which endures forever. As we honor Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., don't forget the God behind the man. The one true God who deposited this dream into MLK is still speaking to us today. Are we listening?

Be courageous. Be brave.

Being invited by the King Family to speak at the MLK worship service at Ebenezer Baptist Church in 2016 remains one of the most unexpected honors of my life. On the right is his daughter, Dr. Bernice King and his sister, Dr. Christine King Farris. Walking throughstreet markets in different parts of the world is the best. Soaking in the culture. Listening to the local language and music. Enjoying the amazing cuisine. Meeting new friends. Praying for the Gospel to penetrate. #ChiangRai Blessed be the local, indigenous leaders for it is they who live in the very communities they seek to love. For it is they who understand their context and culture...better than a Westerner ever will. For it is they who will continue to tenaciously pursue a better world with hope, justice and love when visitors like me leave.

Yes, blessed be the local, indigenous leaders. What an honor and privilege to celebrate with the on-the-ground local @thefreedomstory team to celebrate the recent opening of their Education and Resource Center for the local youth in Chiang Rai, Thailanf. This was made possible through a partnership and matching grant by @onedayswages and The Freedom Story.

While it was an honor to be there to cut the cord and say a few words, this is an example of collaboration. Much love to the Freedom Story team including their co-founders Tawee Donchai and @Rachel Goble, to their staff who live in the community, who understand their context and culture, and who tenaciously pursue a better world with hope, justice and love. And of course, much love to the students themselves for they each matter. Finally, to each person that donated to @onedayswages to make this grant possible.

May hundreds and even thousands of youth be impacted, encouraged, and mentored. May they capture a glimpse of God's love for them.

Photo: @benjaminedwards

• Really loved this sign from the women's march from one of our church congregants. Counter cultural. Subversive. L… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 4 hours ago
  • To support both the equality of women & the dignity of the unborn can be lonely but we're not alone. Lead with hope: instagram.com/p/BPjMGTOhMjL/ || 5 hours ago
  • To support both the equality of women & the dignity of the unborn feels like a very lonely place to be but we're not alone. May we press on. || 8 hours ago
  • Going to the Women's March in Seattle bc as a Christian, I believe women are fearfully and wonderfully made and are to be heard & respected. || 11 hours ago
  • Christians: May we be guided by the Scriptures that remind us, "Seek first the Kingdom of God" and not, "Seek first the kingdom of America." || 12 hours ago
  • God bless America...so that we may be a blessing to the hurting, poor, vulnerable, immigrants, oppressed, marginalized. God bless America. || 1 day ago