jessica alba, tatas, and breast cancer

Ok, I could have titled this blog a lot of different things but whatever.  It’s not my hope to offend anyone with the usage of “tatas” but please read on before you boycott this blog or choose to send me more hate email.  It’s appropriate since October is Breast Cancer awareness month.  While I haven’t had any immediate family impacted by breast cancer, I know several friends and parishioners that have been impacted.  Have you personally been impacted or someone in your family?  Would you mind sharing?

But tell me the truth, I made you look with the reference to Jessica Alba, right? If you read the whole entry, there’s a picture of Jessica below…

Thanks to Facebook, I reconnected with a friend from college.  I think I met Julia [now] Fiske in 1993 at UC Davis.  I was a sophomore and she was a freshman.  A group of guys [including Randy K. from Quest] on the 3rd floor of Hughes Hall and a group of gals from the 2nd floor hung out.  Just good friendship.  We were all Christians.  For me, their friendship was of great support for me since I was relatively a new Christian.

Anyway, I was very encouraged to read that Julia is a business entrepreneur.  After working as a designer in couple other companies, she started her own company called, Save the Tatas.  Yes, Tatas = another word for breasts.  Some folks may find it offensive but I thought it was ingenious because there’s a PURPOSE.  Here’s the mission of the company:

Ta-tas® Brand Clothing cares about women and their families. That’s why we are committed to making a significant contribution in the fight against cancer. We do this by giving 5% of our gross sales to the fight against the disease. That means, with every sale, every item, every day, all year, every year for as long as we exist, we are fighting cancer from every angle we can. And since our launch in 2004, we have given almost $125,000 to the fight against cancer.

By giving 5% of our gross sales to carefully researched cancer fighting organizations we are fighting the battle on the medical front, in the community and meeting the personal needs of people struggling with the disease.

I’ve been thinking much about stewardship – as a Christian and simply as a human being – and some of the commitments I’ve made as a younger man.  I’m 37, married, 3 kids, own a mortgage, own 3 cars, etc.  I do my part and consider myself generous but feel like I can do so much more with my time, talents, and treasures.  I want to be extravagant.  Tithing is such a small concept.  It really is.  Many of us see tithing as the goal but instead, it should simply be seen as a baseline from where we can grow in our giving.

Additonally, it’s my hope to see others – particularly young people in this and future generations – be creative and dream.  We live in a context where we have SO MUCH and can do so much for others around the larger world that have so little.   Julia’s story is encouraging because it’s an example of how folks can work or create enterprises that generate funds for worthwhile causes.  That is beautiful stewardship!  Her story was recently feature in Newsweek Magazine:

The 2nd Base shirts aren’t the only edgy brand of breast-cancer apparel out there. Since 2004, Los Angeles designer Julie Fikse has sold more than 80,000 shirts carrying variations on the message “Save the Ta-Tas”—and donated $80,000 [correction: $125K] of her profits to breast-cancer charities. Both slogans garner mostly chuckles and enthusiasm, though a few people have reacted negatively, criticizing them as too crude…

How cool is that!

Oh.  Here’s the picture of Ms. Alba from the company’s website.  Enjoy.  🙂

alba.jpg

Filed under: entertainment, religion

1. KH says:

Umm, it’s hard to be offended when I had no idea what TaTas were. But thanks for calling our attention to Breast Cancer Awareness. I have two aunts who lives were deeply impacted by breast cancer.

2. kent says:

I learned a new word today. I was clueless. Whatever we can do help with this issue.

3. Reyes-Chow says:

Um yeah, me too, I had no idea what “tata’s” were. No really, um, ah . . . and this Jessica Alba women . . . she was in the Oscar worthy movie, “Honey” correct 😉

4. Jennifer says:

Me either…I had no idea what tatas are, or who Jessica Alba is. Shrug 🙂

But I love the idea that creativity in giving produes a lot more energy and investment.

5. e cho says:

What? You guys didn’t know what tatas were? You guys are so 1980s. 🙂

Ok, FWIW, I didn’t either but had to look it up in the urban dictionary.

6. Dan H says:

It’s kind of funny when we need to do research in order to be properly offended. 🙂

7. Dan says:

Tata means grandpa in Spanish. At least that’s what my kids call their Mexican grandfather. I thought this was going in a completely different direction. . .

8. worinld says:

I wonder if it’s cuz we’er all in this christian bubble that we didn’t know what tatas were.

lol

I didn’t know that word either… (though i did know the crude reference for the 2nd base shirts….)

9. Kacie says:

nope, I don’t think so, because I grew up overseas in the missionary kid bubble and then attended Bible school, but I DO know what tatas are!

10. kent says:

Yeah so I am 52 so what. punk kid…. what is FWIW?? Where’s my Geritol. it is time for Wheel of Fortune.

11. Leo says:

this is why your blog was rated “R” ! =)

12. Marlene says:

LOL…loved the article…am a member of the Ta-Ta Sisterhood…interesting so many people did not know what they were.

13. timiekley says:

I think tatas are an interesting word. I am not sure where it even came from. Whatever the reason, your post made me laugh – Thanks.

14. titus2woman says:

MORE hate mail? So sorry to hear it’s ever happened at all~yikes! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

15. titus2woman says:

Okay, I know I’m back, but people get upset over this stuff? Come on! Tatas are just a part of life, people! LOL! (((((HUGS))))) sandi~really leavin’ now!

16. gar says:

I’m scared to think of the t-shirts that guys will make for testicular and colon cancer.

17. tatas is more like a bill and ted’s or wayne’s world type of term, but i have heard of it!

18. Blake says:

I’ve known a few of my mom’s friends that were touched by breast cancer and by the grace of God they’ve all survived.

Thanks for the laugh, Kent. 😀 Here’s the only other tag-line your comment was missing: “Get off my lawn!” 😉

Gar: Good stuff . 😀

19. The term “tata’s” is not new … I think I first heard it in “An Officer and a Gentleman” … but when I read the name ‘Jessica Alba’ I had to ask “who?”

I pay little attention to celebrities. On the whole, I don’t think that they add much to the discussion. For me, ‘celebrities’ are part and parcel of that ‘world’ which Jesus said his followers would be no part of. (John 15:19)

Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. Thanks for your prayers.
I have numerous stories to share but for now, the following came up in every conversation with Iraqi/Syrian refugees:

1 Have tea with us. Or coffee. Or juice. Or something with lots of sugar in it. Or better yet, all of the above.
2 We want peace. We want security.
3 We hate ISIS.
4 We just want to go home.
5 Please don't forget us.

Please don't forget them... Father, please bless and protect these Iraqi and Syrian "refugee" children that have already endured so much. Protect their hearts and mind from unfathomable trauma. Plant seeds of hope and vision in their lives. And as we pray for them, teach us how to advocate for them. Amen. "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." -  local Iraqi priest whose church has welcomed many "relatives" to their church's property

It's always a privilege to be invited into peoples' home for tea - even if it's a temporary tent. This is an extended Yezidi family that fled the Mosul, Iraq area because of ISIS. It's indeed true that Christians were targeted by ISIS and thatbstory muat be shared but other minority groups like the Yezidis were also targeted. Some of their heartbreaking stories included the kidnapping of their sister. They shared that their father passed away shortly of a "broken heart." The conversation was emotional but afterwards, we asked each other for permission to take photos. Once the selfies came out, the real smiles came out.

So friends: Pray for Iraq. Pray for the persecuted Church. Pray for Christians, minority groups like the Yezidis who fear they will e completely wiped out in the Middle East,, and Muslims alike who are all suffering under ISIS. Friends: I'm traveling in the Middle East this week - Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. (Make sure you follow my pics/stories on IG stories). Specifically, I'm here representing @onedayswages to meet, learn, and listen to pastors, local leaders, NGOs, and of course directly from refugees from within these countries - including many from Syria.

For security purposes, I haven't been able to share at all but I'm now able to start sharing some photos and stories. For now, I'll be sharing numerous photos through my IG stories and will be sharing some longer written pieces in couple months when ODW launches another wave of partnerships to come alongside refugees in these areas. Four of us are traveling together also for the purpose of creating a short documentary that we hope to release early next year.

While I'm on my church sabbatical, it's truly a privilege to be able to come to these countries and to meet local pastors and indigenous leaders that tirelessly pursue peace and justice, and to hear directly from refugees. I've read so many various articles and pieces over the years and I thought I was prepared but it has been jarring, heartbreaking,  and gut wrenching. In the midst of such chaos, there's hope but there's also a lot of questions, too.

I hope you follow along as I share photos, stories, and help release this mini-documentary. Please tag friends that might be interested.

Please pray for safety, for empathy, for humility and integrity, for divine meetings. Pray that we listen well; To be present and not just be a consumer of these vulnerable stories. That's my biggest prayer.

Special thanks to @worldvisionusa and @worldrelief for hosting us on this journey. 9/11
Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.

Today, I had some gut wrenching and heart breaking conversations about war, violence, and peacemaking. Mostly, I listened. Never in my wildest imagination did I envision having these conversations on 9/11 of all days. I wish I could share more now but I hope to later after I process them for a few days.

But indeed: Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.
May it be so. Amen. Mount Rainier is simply epic. There's nothing like flying in and out of Seattle.

#mountrainier
#seattle
#northwestisbest

• Boom. Final fishing trip. Grateful. A nice way to end my 3 month sabbatical. #catchandrelease twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 1 day ago
  • Christians: May we be guided by the Scriptures that remind us, "Seek first the Kingdom of God" and not, "Seek first the kingdom of America." || 1 day ago
  • Every convo with Iraqi/Syrian refugees included: 1 Have tea with us 2 We want peace 3 We hate ISIS 4 We want to go home 5 Don't forget us || 4 days ago
  • Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan to assess @OneDaysWages' partnerships & to film mini-documentary on refugee crisis. So many emotions. || 4 days ago
  • Pray for Mexico. For those mourning loved ones. For those fighting for life - even under rubbles. For rescue workers. Lord, in your mercy. || 4 days ago
  • Don't underestimate what God can do through you. God has a very long history of using foolish and broken people for His purposes and glory. || 6 days ago