please stop dancing

Ok, is it bad that I can’t stop laughing?  Anyone remember Rick Astley from the 1980s?  I kinda remember and I thought he was kinda cool.  He emerged as a global sensation and star with the song, Never Gonna Give You Up, which hit #1 in the U.S. and U.K. in 1987.  I never saw the video then since MTV was banned in our family.  And then I saw this video recently on YouTube and just couldn’t stop laughing.  It just makes me smile.

The great thing thing is that Rick is still singing and touring.  But I hope he’s stopped dancing…

What’s the lesson here?  Be careful what gets recorded.  You may forever be remembered via YouTube…

Filed under: entertainment, ,

1. Nick H says:

I think he’s awsome. Thanks for posting this! Next time I get on the dance floor I’m going to bust out some of these moves.

2. e cho says:

i would pay to see you dance like that.

3. Deanne says:

The most perfect part of this is the barman who, at first shot, is staring at this red-head dancing with the most perplexed look on his face. I can only imagine what he is thinking. Appropriate that its the frame frozen on this page!

4. RyanBD says:

What I’m questioning is the choice of venues – what’s with the trench coat + dark alley + “I’m never gonna give you up…never gonna say goodbye…” Stalker? The interplay between dark and light settings…could be a cry for help from the Rickster.

I can’t believe this is the first comment I’m making on this blog.

5. peggyluwho says:

I still think he’s hot.

6. januarys says:

peggy, me too! and he was by far the BEST dancer in that video…. haha

7. abarclay12 says:

He looks like if it was 1985 and Clay Aiken had joined the mafia. But the dance moves are priceless.

8. januarys says:

you act like Clay Aiken is not in the mafia… come on, am i the only one who remembers Fredo?

9. abarclay12 says:

Ha! That made me laugh out loud. You’re right. Fredo was total Clay Aiken. Good call.

10. andie ellis says:

Eugene,
    I just sent this to Rachel and Karl….I haven’t laughed like this in a long time..
    Thanks..
    andie

11. J. Michael Matkin says:

Sadly, I remember this video far too well. Thanks for the trip down amnesia lane, Eugene. Astley ranks up there with Mike Tyson in the Body and Voice Mismatch department.

12. Dan H says:

He was always a bit uncool with me because my Mom always said he was seemed like a ‘nice young man.’

13. DK says:

Eugene, you absolutely made my week. You see, I have this running joke with my wife that my one dancing move is the same as Rick Astley’s one dancing move (where he makes two fists and flails his arms around to the beat). She always just looks at me in confusion–she remembers Rick Astley but not the videos…

I hadn’t actually seen the video in probably 15-20 years, but the dancing was just like I remembered. (If I remember, he does the same kind of dancing in the “Together Forever” video too). Anyway, thanks for posting that–

14. e cho says:

You people are really scaring me how much you liked Rick.

FWIW, my favorite scene is him in denim jeans, denim shirt, big mamma glasses, and dancing like….well, like he always dances.

15. Noel says:

I can never get over the disjoint between his voice and his looks.

16. Mrs.K. says:

Even though I was born in the 80s, and am therefore more a child of the 90s…I love 80s music..so I’ve heard this song dozens of times, but I’ve never seen the video until now. Wow! I know what you mean…I hope for his sake, he’s not dancing anymore, either. Somehow, the bartender reminds me of someone from A Chorus Line…but, wow, Rick is just clapping and shaking and doing a great white boy job there.

I agree with Noel, though…there is a big disjoint between looks and voice….it actually surprised me that it was this song because he didn’t look capable of that voice.

17. […] Nonsense Posts that for whatever reason got responses:  Please Stop Dancing [Glad to know that we have some readers from the ’80s!]; Heroes the TV show [Who knew people […]

18. Have you seen this YouTube video where the Rickster stops colic in its tracks?

Pretty dang impressive! Now people won’t be so quick to judge his dance moves.

19. […] 80’s flashback……  the denim short (sold for $40 at the Gap and still hanging in my closet)… the […]

20. I think the greater crime is the high beltline on those jeans. but jeeez… let’s just appreciate that voice a minute. ahh. soak it in… hearing this, I feel his conviction. He WON’T give us up. It’s nice to trust in that.

21. Carrie says:

aaww no fair – for the 80’s and a white guy….he has rythem!

"He must become greater; I must become less." - John 3:30 We have to remind ourselves of this truth every day lest we forget:

Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant.

Be faithful.

PS: Also, it helps to get some Vitamin D especially if you live in the rainy Northwest Thank you, Brooklyn, for the reminder. Umm, @jlin7 is a Christian but he wasn't very Christlike with me on the basketball court. He muscled me into the paint, dunked on me, mentioned my momma, and then said, "Stick with preaching." Just kidding. Kind of.

If you haven't heard, Jeremy Lin is donating his one games wages (approximately $140,000) and an additional $100 for every 3 pointer made to support Girls' Empowerment and Education through @onedayswages. That game is this Friday vs the Boston Celtics!

Join his campaign as he's inviting his fans to donate just $7. - http://onedayswages.org/jlin

Did you know that 32 million girls of lower secondary school age are not enrolled in school.

Did you know that every year of secondary school increases a girl’s future earning power by 20 percent.

Did you know that if all girls in Sub-Saharan Africa, South and West Asia had a secondary education, child marriage would fall by 64 percent.

We can't change the entire world but we can impact the lives of one, few, and in some cases...many.

#jeremylin #jlin #linsanity #onedayswages Don't be held captive to either praise or criticism.

Know who you are.
Know what you're about.
Know WHO you serve.

The answer to who you serve makes all the difference... It's the day after International Women's Day - and it's still important to celebrate the contribution of women in our lives, society, and world. As we honor women all around the world, I'm also reminded of how women and children are those who are most deeply impacted by injustice - especially poverty.

Sadly, I have witnessed this reality in too many places. ​In 2012, I traveled to a remote area in Eastern Kenya as part of a @onedayswages response to a famine that struck the Horn of Africa region. This famine impacted nearly 13 million people and according to some sources, took the lives of about 250,000 people. During my trip there, I had the chance of meeting many people but the person that still remains in my memory was a Muslim woman named Sahara.

She was so hospitable in inviting us to her small and temporary home. During our conversation, I learned that ​Sahara traveled 300 kilometers (a little under 200 miles) – some by cart and some by foot – as they sought to escape the worst drought that has impacted East Africa (Kenya, Somalia, and Ethiopia) in the past 60 years.

This is not a misprint.
200.

She traveled about 200 miles on cart and foot. ​And all along, she was ill. If you look closely ​at the photo, you might notice the large lump in her throat - likely a large cancerous tumor.​ She did not travel alone. She traveled with her husband who I was not able to meet because he was staying with one of his five other wives in this polygamist community.  She did not travel alone. She also traveled with her six children – the youngest being about 1 and the oldest being around 8. She had just given birth to her sixth child when they began her journey. Her youngest was severely malnourished when they arrived to this new settlement in a town called Benane.
Sahara and her children all survived this journey. They survived because she persisted.
In honor of Sahara...and so many other women who keep...keeping on.