please stop dancing

Ok, is it bad that I can’t stop laughing?  Anyone remember Rick Astley from the 1980s?  I kinda remember and I thought he was kinda cool.  He emerged as a global sensation and star with the song, Never Gonna Give You Up, which hit #1 in the U.S. and U.K. in 1987.  I never saw the video then since MTV was banned in our family.  And then I saw this video recently on YouTube and just couldn’t stop laughing.  It just makes me smile.

The great thing thing is that Rick is still singing and touring.  But I hope he’s stopped dancing…

What’s the lesson here?  Be careful what gets recorded.  You may forever be remembered via YouTube…

Filed under: entertainment, ,

1. Nick H says:

I think he’s awsome. Thanks for posting this! Next time I get on the dance floor I’m going to bust out some of these moves.

2. e cho says:

i would pay to see you dance like that.

3. Deanne says:

The most perfect part of this is the barman who, at first shot, is staring at this red-head dancing with the most perplexed look on his face. I can only imagine what he is thinking. Appropriate that its the frame frozen on this page!

4. RyanBD says:

What I’m questioning is the choice of venues – what’s with the trench coat + dark alley + “I’m never gonna give you up…never gonna say goodbye…” Stalker? The interplay between dark and light settings…could be a cry for help from the Rickster.

I can’t believe this is the first comment I’m making on this blog.

5. peggyluwho says:

I still think he’s hot.

6. januarys says:

peggy, me too! and he was by far the BEST dancer in that video…. haha

7. abarclay12 says:

He looks like if it was 1985 and Clay Aiken had joined the mafia. But the dance moves are priceless.

8. januarys says:

you act like Clay Aiken is not in the mafia… come on, am i the only one who remembers Fredo?

9. abarclay12 says:

Ha! That made me laugh out loud. You’re right. Fredo was total Clay Aiken. Good call.

10. andie ellis says:

Eugene,
    I just sent this to Rachel and Karl….I haven’t laughed like this in a long time..
    Thanks..
    andie

11. J. Michael Matkin says:

Sadly, I remember this video far too well. Thanks for the trip down amnesia lane, Eugene. Astley ranks up there with Mike Tyson in the Body and Voice Mismatch department.

12. Dan H says:

He was always a bit uncool with me because my Mom always said he was seemed like a ‘nice young man.’

13. DK says:

Eugene, you absolutely made my week. You see, I have this running joke with my wife that my one dancing move is the same as Rick Astley’s one dancing move (where he makes two fists and flails his arms around to the beat). She always just looks at me in confusion–she remembers Rick Astley but not the videos…

I hadn’t actually seen the video in probably 15-20 years, but the dancing was just like I remembered. (If I remember, he does the same kind of dancing in the “Together Forever” video too). Anyway, thanks for posting that–

14. e cho says:

You people are really scaring me how much you liked Rick.

FWIW, my favorite scene is him in denim jeans, denim shirt, big mamma glasses, and dancing like….well, like he always dances.

15. Noel says:

I can never get over the disjoint between his voice and his looks.

16. Mrs.K. says:

Even though I was born in the 80s, and am therefore more a child of the 90s…I love 80s music..so I’ve heard this song dozens of times, but I’ve never seen the video until now. Wow! I know what you mean…I hope for his sake, he’s not dancing anymore, either. Somehow, the bartender reminds me of someone from A Chorus Line…but, wow, Rick is just clapping and shaking and doing a great white boy job there.

I agree with Noel, though…there is a big disjoint between looks and voice….it actually surprised me that it was this song because he didn’t look capable of that voice.

17. […] Nonsense Posts that for whatever reason got responses:  Please Stop Dancing [Glad to know that we have some readers from the ’80s!]; Heroes the TV show [Who knew people […]

18. Have you seen this YouTube video where the Rickster stops colic in its tracks?

Pretty dang impressive! Now people won’t be so quick to judge his dance moves.

19. […] 80’s flashback……  the denim short (sold for $40 at the Gap and still hanging in my closet)… the […]

20. I think the greater crime is the high beltline on those jeans. but jeeez… let’s just appreciate that voice a minute. ahh. soak it in… hearing this, I feel his conviction. He WON’T give us up. It’s nice to trust in that.

21. Carrie says:

aaww no fair – for the 80’s and a white guy….he has rythem!

Window seat. For the win. As leaders, we must not see ministry and family as competing commitments.  We must not sacrifice our marriage and kids for the sake of "ministry." How can we? Loving our families IS ministry & good leadership.

And on a side note, we took this goofy photo for Mother's Day last Sunday at @seattlequest. I was shocked! What in the world happened to our kids? Our 13 year old son blocked four of my shots on the basketball court yesterday. He's since been grounded... I fear that we ask God to move mountains, forgetting that God also wants to move us.

In fact, it's possible that we are that mountain. Time flies. The eldest is wrapping up her 1st year in college and the college tours have begun for the 2nd child. The youngest enters high school in the Fall. Can't say enough about how proud Minhee and I are of the kids - not just of their accomplishments but the people they are and are becoming.

But...man...we can't wait to party it up when we're emptynesters. Party at our house. It's going to be epic. Humbled. Grateful. Mindful of God's grace and faithfulness in my life. It's all grace... It's an unexpected honor to be invited back - even with some mini-drama - to @princetonseminary to receive the 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award - exactly 25 years after starting my journey there as a student in 1992. Wow.

Princeton isn't necessarily for everyone. And to say that I loved everything about my experience would be misleading but it was very formative. Ir challenged me to examine why I believed in what I believed. It reminded me that God could handle my questions. It prepared me for a post-Christian context where I am not entitled to be heard but I had to earn the right to be heard, and of course, it taught me that all is good with a Philly cheese steak at Hoagie Haven.

No one is an island to themselves and I am certainly an example of that. Many people - women and men, young and old, and of many backgrounds - prayed, encouraged, mentored, and loved me along the way. Grateful for my professors at seminary, my many classmates, and the numerous fellow staff and co-laborers I've had the privilege of serving Christ with past and present. And of course, I'm forever inspired by my parents, my children, and my wife, Minhee. Thank you for your faith, hope, and love...and oh, for your patience. Only your family will know and see both the best and worst of you. They've seen my worst...and keep on believing in me.

Thank you again, PTS and President Barnes, for this honor. Then, today, and tomorrow...by God's grace, just striving to be faithful to my Lord and Savior...to preach and live out the convictions of the whole Gospel. Amen. So humbled and grateful to be with @catalystleader in Cincinnati to encourage leaders from all around the country about the invitation to Uncommon Fellowship.

Preached from John 4. We can talk, preach, sing, philsophize, liturgize, and spit rhymes about Samaria...but we still have to talk through Samaria.

• "They got money for wars but can't feed the poor." ~ Tupac #trumpbudget || 1 day ago
  • Heartbroken. Praying for Manchester & the UK. For those mourning loved ones. For those injured and fighting for life. Lord, in your mercy. || 3 days ago
  • Window seat. For the win. https://t.co/yG66Sm2bvu || 5 days ago
  • As leaders, we must not sacrifice our family for the sake of ministry because loving our family IS good leadership: instagram.com/p/BUVAGVwg-5z/ || 5 days ago
  • We long for a Gospel that comforts but resist the Gospel that disrupts. Having the former without the latter seduces us into complacency. || 5 days ago
  • Love wins in the end but in the meanwhile,it fights for things that matter. Love isn't sentimental. It's both gentle & fierce. Love endures. || 6 days ago