ms. teen south carolina and geography

I feel bad even posting this video but after an intense work of hard labor, renovation, emails about pews and chairs, and other blah blah blah, I needed a good laugh.  And wow, this video of Miss Teen South Carolina at the recent pageant is pretty hilarious.

She was asked what she thought about a poll that stated that 1 out of 5 Americans couldn’t locate where the US is located on a world map.  Her answer:

I personally believe the U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uh, some, uh…people out there in our nation don’t have maps, and, uh, I believe that our education like such as South Africa and, uh, the Iraq everywhere like, such as and…I believe that they should, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., err, uh, should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future for our…

I’m sure that Miss Teen South Carolina is a sweet gal.  In fact, I’m so glad to hear that many of her friends and family have emerged to extend their sincere support and friendship.  That’s cool.   And for whatever reason, I’ve got this feeling that some really good things are ahead for her life.  She’s also shown great maturity in handling this situation:

“Everything did come at me at once. I was overwhelmed and I made a mistake. Everybody makes a mistake. I’m human,” she said Tuesday. “I seriously think I only heard about one or two words of the actual question.”

We’ve all had moments like this so our character is evident in how we respond.  She’s done great.  I’m sure she’ll bounce back, look back and have a good laugh.

Filed under: entertainment

1. Helen says:

Yeah, it was pretty hilarious and I felt bad for laughing but she’s handling it so well. She definitely is showing her maturity. Good for her. This happens to all of us. It’s how we respond as you said.

2. gar says:

Don’t feel bad. I posted it too… haha.

3. Blake says:

Yeah, I laughed pretty hard too. But she definitely has handled it with poise and maturity. Besides, she lost and has still received more media coverage than the winner. (Miss Colorado, was it?) As they say, there’s no such thing as bad publicity. 😉 Long term I think she’ll come out on top after this.

4. honjii says:

I didn’t see or hear her “damage control” but I’m sure in the interim hours she had plenty of coaching on how to respond with the proper spin. I think the video is hilarious and have no doubt she is sweetheart, but still really is the bimbo she appears to be. Even if she only heard two words of the question (as claimed) that doesn’t explain her disjointed and idiotic, Bush-like response.

5. Blake says:

I dunno, Honjii… I read a few articles out there on the newswire that said she was an AP/honors student in high school, plus this was her first experience on TV period. Doesn’t sound so bimbo to me. Granted, she really didn’t help herself with all the filler-words and the awkwardly placed “such as,” but I don’t know if I’d use the term “bimbo.” 🙂 Maybe I just feel for the girl because I’m a blond as well and I feel obligated to defend her. 😉 lol.

6. peachgirl11 says:

that’s hilarious!

7. erichenderson says:

A follow-up from miss west carolina: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUE1Cu04Jzo

8. coffee says:

Miss Teen South Carolina answered that question badly, but she’s still got her looks to fall back on…

Thank you, Brooklyn, for the reminder. Umm, @jlin7 is a Christian but he wasn't very Christlike with me on the basketball court. He muscled me into the paint, dunked on me, mentioned my momma, and then said, "Stick with preaching." Just kidding. Kind of.

If you haven't heard, Jeremy Lin is donating his one games wages (approximately $140,000) and an additional $100 for every 3 pointer made to support Girls' Empowerment and Education through @onedayswages. That game is this Friday vs the Boston Celtics!

Join his campaign as he's inviting his fans to donate just $7. - http://onedayswages.org/jlin

Did you know that 32 million girls of lower secondary school age are not enrolled in school.

Did you know that every year of secondary school increases a girl’s future earning power by 20 percent.

Did you know that if all girls in Sub-Saharan Africa, South and West Asia had a secondary education, child marriage would fall by 64 percent.

We can't change the entire world but we can impact the lives of one, few, and in some cases...many.

#jeremylin #jlin #linsanity #onedayswages Don't be held captive to either praise or criticism.

Know who you are.
Know what you're about.
Know WHO you serve.

The answer to who you serve makes all the difference... It's the day after International Women's Day - and it's still important to celebrate the contribution of women in our lives, society, and world. As we honor women all around the world, I'm also reminded of how women and children are those who are most deeply impacted by injustice - especially poverty.

Sadly, I have witnessed this reality in too many places. ​In 2012, I traveled to a remote area in Eastern Kenya as part of a @onedayswages response to a famine that struck the Horn of Africa region. This famine impacted nearly 13 million people and according to some sources, took the lives of about 250,000 people. During my trip there, I had the chance of meeting many people but the person that still remains in my memory was a Muslim woman named Sahara.

She was so hospitable in inviting us to her small and temporary home. During our conversation, I learned that ​Sahara traveled 300 kilometers (a little under 200 miles) – some by cart and some by foot – as they sought to escape the worst drought that has impacted East Africa (Kenya, Somalia, and Ethiopia) in the past 60 years.

This is not a misprint.
200.

She traveled about 200 miles on cart and foot. ​And all along, she was ill. If you look closely ​at the photo, you might notice the large lump in her throat - likely a large cancerous tumor.​ She did not travel alone. She traveled with her husband who I was not able to meet because he was staying with one of his five other wives in this polygamist community.  She did not travel alone. She also traveled with her six children – the youngest being about 1 and the oldest being around 8. She had just given birth to her sixth child when they began her journey. Her youngest was severely malnourished when they arrived to this new settlement in a town called Benane.
Sahara and her children all survived this journey. They survived because she persisted.
In honor of Sahara...and so many other women who keep...keeping on. I have to remind myself of this every day...because I can forget every day:

Don't be lazy and make assumptions about people. Ask about their story. Then listen. Be humble. Be teachable. Be human. Be a good neighbor. It's a sad reality but our society runs on the currency of fear. Don't feed into this frenzy.

Rather, invest in faith, hope, and love.