ms. teen south carolina and geography

I feel bad even posting this video but after an intense work of hard labor, renovation, emails about pews and chairs, and other blah blah blah, I needed a good laugh.  And wow, this video of Miss Teen South Carolina at the recent pageant is pretty hilarious.

She was asked what she thought about a poll that stated that 1 out of 5 Americans couldn’t locate where the US is located on a world map.  Her answer:

I personally believe the U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uh, some, uh…people out there in our nation don’t have maps, and, uh, I believe that our education like such as South Africa and, uh, the Iraq everywhere like, such as and…I believe that they should, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., err, uh, should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future for our…

I’m sure that Miss Teen South Carolina is a sweet gal.  In fact, I’m so glad to hear that many of her friends and family have emerged to extend their sincere support and friendship.  That’s cool.   And for whatever reason, I’ve got this feeling that some really good things are ahead for her life.  She’s also shown great maturity in handling this situation:

“Everything did come at me at once. I was overwhelmed and I made a mistake. Everybody makes a mistake. I’m human,” she said Tuesday. “I seriously think I only heard about one or two words of the actual question.”

We’ve all had moments like this so our character is evident in how we respond.  She’s done great.  I’m sure she’ll bounce back, look back and have a good laugh.

Filed under: entertainment

1. Helen says:

Yeah, it was pretty hilarious and I felt bad for laughing but she’s handling it so well. She definitely is showing her maturity. Good for her. This happens to all of us. It’s how we respond as you said.

2. gar says:

Don’t feel bad. I posted it too… haha.

3. Blake says:

Yeah, I laughed pretty hard too. But she definitely has handled it with poise and maturity. Besides, she lost and has still received more media coverage than the winner. (Miss Colorado, was it?) As they say, there’s no such thing as bad publicity. 😉 Long term I think she’ll come out on top after this.

4. honjii says:

I didn’t see or hear her “damage control” but I’m sure in the interim hours she had plenty of coaching on how to respond with the proper spin. I think the video is hilarious and have no doubt she is sweetheart, but still really is the bimbo she appears to be. Even if she only heard two words of the question (as claimed) that doesn’t explain her disjointed and idiotic, Bush-like response.

5. Blake says:

I dunno, Honjii… I read a few articles out there on the newswire that said she was an AP/honors student in high school, plus this was her first experience on TV period. Doesn’t sound so bimbo to me. Granted, she really didn’t help herself with all the filler-words and the awkwardly placed “such as,” but I don’t know if I’d use the term “bimbo.” 🙂 Maybe I just feel for the girl because I’m a blond as well and I feel obligated to defend her. 😉 lol.

6. peachgirl11 says:

that’s hilarious!

7. erichenderson says:

A follow-up from miss west carolina: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUE1Cu04Jzo

8. coffee says:

Miss Teen South Carolina answered that question badly, but she’s still got her looks to fall back on…

Father, please bless and protect these Iraqi and Syrian "refugee" children that have already endured so much. Protect their hearts and mind from unfathomable trauma. Plant seeds of hope and vision in their lives. And as we pray for them, teach us how to advocate for them. Amen. "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." -  local Iraqi priest whose church has welcomed many "relatives" to their church's property

It's always a privilege to be invited into peoples' home for tea - even if it's a temporary tent. This is an extended Yezidi family that fled the Mosul, Iraq area because of ISIS. It's indeed true that Christians were targeted by ISIS and thatbstory muat be shared but other minority groups like the Yezidis were also targeted. Some of their heartbreaking stories included the kidnapping of their sister. They shared that their father passed away shortly of a "broken heart." The conversation was emotional but afterwards, we asked each other for permission to take photos. Once the selfies came out, the real smiles came out.

So friends: Pray for Iraq. Pray for the persecuted Church. Pray for Christians, minority groups like the Yezidis who fear they will e completely wiped out in the Middle East,, and Muslims alike who are all suffering under ISIS. Friends: I'm traveling in the Middle East this week - Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. (Make sure you follow my pics/stories on IG stories). Specifically, I'm here representing @onedayswages to meet, learn, and listen to pastors, local leaders, NGOs, and of course directly from refugees from within these countries - including many from Syria.

For security purposes, I haven't been able to share at all but I'm now able to start sharing some photos and stories. For now, I'll be sharing numerous photos through my IG stories and will be sharing some longer written pieces in couple months when ODW launches another wave of partnerships to come alongside refugees in these areas. Four of us are traveling together also for the purpose of creating a short documentary that we hope to release early next year.

While I'm on my church sabbatical, it's truly a privilege to be able to come to these countries and to meet local pastors and indigenous leaders that tirelessly pursue peace and justice, and to hear directly from refugees. I've read so many various articles and pieces over the years and I thought I was prepared but it has been jarring, heartbreaking,  and gut wrenching. In the midst of such chaos, there's hope but there's also a lot of questions, too.

I hope you follow along as I share photos, stories, and help release this mini-documentary. Please tag friends that might be interested.

Please pray for safety, for empathy, for humility and integrity, for divine meetings. Pray that we listen well; To be present and not just be a consumer of these vulnerable stories. That's my biggest prayer.

Special thanks to @worldvisionusa and @worldrelief for hosting us on this journey. 9/11
Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.

Today, I had some gut wrenching and heart breaking conversations about war, violence, and peacemaking. Mostly, I listened. Never in my wildest imagination did I envision having these conversations on 9/11 of all days. I wish I could share more now but I hope to later after I process them for a few days.

But indeed: Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.
May it be so. Amen. Mount Rainier is simply epic. There's nothing like flying in and out of Seattle.

#mountrainier
#seattle
#northwestisbest Took a train to Busan. Did not encounter any zombies but I was ready just in case.

Busan. First visit to this city (couple weeks ago) and was blown away by its beauty. Also, shocked that it has become the fifth largest containment port city in the world. That's a lot of import and export.

#MyAttemptToBeTheBestSmartphonePhotographer
#Pusan #SouthKorea

• Every convo with Iraqi/Syrian refugees included: 1 Have tea with us 2 We want peace 3 We hate ISIS 4 We want to go home 5 Don't forget us || 6 hours ago
  • Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan to assess @OneDaysWages' partnerships & to film mini-documentary on refugee crisis. So many emotions. || 6 hours ago
  • Pray for Mexico. For those mourning loved ones. For those fighting for life - even under rubbles. For rescue workers. Lord, in your mercy. || 6 hours ago
  • Don't underestimate what God can do through you. God has a very long history of using foolish and broken people for His purposes and glory. || 2 days ago
  • Father, bless these Iraqi and Syrian refugee children that have already endured so much. As we pray, teach us how t… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 4 days ago
  • Pray for Iraq. Pray for persecuted Church, minority groups (Yezidis) and Muslims alike who are suffering under ISIS: instagram.com/p/BZF2j6Ngrna/ || 4 days ago