ms. teen south carolina and geography

I feel bad even posting this video but after an intense work of hard labor, renovation, emails about pews and chairs, and other blah blah blah, I needed a good laugh.  And wow, this video of Miss Teen South Carolina at the recent pageant is pretty hilarious.

She was asked what she thought about a poll that stated that 1 out of 5 Americans couldn’t locate where the US is located on a world map.  Her answer:

I personally believe the U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uh, some, uh…people out there in our nation don’t have maps, and, uh, I believe that our education like such as South Africa and, uh, the Iraq everywhere like, such as and…I believe that they should, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., err, uh, should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future for our…

I’m sure that Miss Teen South Carolina is a sweet gal.  In fact, I’m so glad to hear that many of her friends and family have emerged to extend their sincere support and friendship.  That’s cool.   And for whatever reason, I’ve got this feeling that some really good things are ahead for her life.  She’s also shown great maturity in handling this situation:

“Everything did come at me at once. I was overwhelmed and I made a mistake. Everybody makes a mistake. I’m human,” she said Tuesday. “I seriously think I only heard about one or two words of the actual question.”

We’ve all had moments like this so our character is evident in how we respond.  She’s done great.  I’m sure she’ll bounce back, look back and have a good laugh.

Filed under: entertainment

1. Helen says:

Yeah, it was pretty hilarious and I felt bad for laughing but she’s handling it so well. She definitely is showing her maturity. Good for her. This happens to all of us. It’s how we respond as you said.

2. gar says:

Don’t feel bad. I posted it too… haha.

3. Blake says:

Yeah, I laughed pretty hard too. But she definitely has handled it with poise and maturity. Besides, she lost and has still received more media coverage than the winner. (Miss Colorado, was it?) As they say, there’s no such thing as bad publicity. 😉 Long term I think she’ll come out on top after this.

4. honjii says:

I didn’t see or hear her “damage control” but I’m sure in the interim hours she had plenty of coaching on how to respond with the proper spin. I think the video is hilarious and have no doubt she is sweetheart, but still really is the bimbo she appears to be. Even if she only heard two words of the question (as claimed) that doesn’t explain her disjointed and idiotic, Bush-like response.

5. Blake says:

I dunno, Honjii… I read a few articles out there on the newswire that said she was an AP/honors student in high school, plus this was her first experience on TV period. Doesn’t sound so bimbo to me. Granted, she really didn’t help herself with all the filler-words and the awkwardly placed “such as,” but I don’t know if I’d use the term “bimbo.” 🙂 Maybe I just feel for the girl because I’m a blond as well and I feel obligated to defend her. 😉 lol.

6. peachgirl11 says:

that’s hilarious!

7. erichenderson says:

A follow-up from miss west carolina: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUE1Cu04Jzo

8. coffee says:

Miss Teen South Carolina answered that question badly, but she’s still got her looks to fall back on…

In our culture, we can be so obsessed with the "spectacular" or "glamorous." The Church often engagws in thia language and paradigm...but what if God has called many of us to small, ordinary things?

Will we still be faithful?
Will we still go about such things with great love and joy?

I recently came across this picture taken by @mattylew, one of our church staff...and I started tearing up: This is my mother; in her 70s; with realities of some disabilities that make it difficult for her to stand up and sit down...but here she is on her knees and prostate in prayer. She doesn't have any social media accounts, barely knows how to use her smartphone, doesn't have a platform, hasn't written a book, doesn't have any titles in our church, isn't listed as a leader or an expert or a consultant or a guru. But she simply seeks to do her best - by God's grace - to be faithful to God. She prays for hours every day inteceding for our family, our church, and the larger world.

Even if we're not noticed or celebrated or elevated...let's be faithful. Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant. And not even successful in the eyes of the world.

Be faithful. Amen. #notetoself (and maybe helpful for someone else)

At times, we have to say ‘NO’ to good things to say ‘YES’ to the most important things.

We can't do it all.
Pray and choose wisely.
Then invest deeply. May our compassion not just be limited to the West or to those that look like us. Lifting up the people of Iraq, Iran, and Kurdistan in prayer after the 7.3 earthquake - including the many new friends I met on a recent trip to Iraq.

The death toll rises to over 400 and over 7,000 injured in multiple cities and hundreds of villages along the Western border with Iraq.

Lord, in your mercy... We are reminded again and again...that we are Resurrection People living in a Dark Friday world.

It's been a tough, emotional, and painful week - especially as we lament the horrible tragedy of the church shootings at Sutherland Springs. In the midst of this lament, I've been carried by the hope, beauty, and promise of our baptisms last Sunday and the raw and honest testimonies of God's mercy, love, and grace.

Indeed, God is not yet done. May we take heart for Christ has overcome the world. "Without genuine relationships with the poor, we rob them of their dignity and they become mere projects. And God did not intend for anyone to become our projects." Grateful this quote from my book, Overrated, is resonating with so many folks - individuals and  NGOs. / design by @preemptivelove .
May we keep working