the honeymoon is over

About three months ago, an amazing “miracle” took place.  Interbay Church – a 65 year old, traditional, older, and mostly Anglo church  – decided to “close” down and join Quest Church – a 6 year old, emerging, urban, and multiethnic churchplant.  In closing their church and merging with Quest, Interbay gave to Quest ALL of their assets which includes a church building and small warehouse conservatively valued at $6 million dollars. Even more miraculously, nearly all of their 50 adults – thus far – have decided to become part of Quest.

You can read some previous entries about this: Quest + Interbay = 1 church [pre-decision],  We Are One [post decision], and Seattle PI article on Merger.

Here’s another article that was recently published in the Companion Magazine:

At first glance, Cho and Bartel are an unlikely pair. Cho, thirty-six, wears chunky-framed glasses, dresses fashionably, and as pastor of an up-and coming multiethnic emerging church made up of twenty- and thirtysomethings, he’s been quoted often in Seattle’s two newspapers, the Times and the Post-Intelligencer. Bartel, sixty-one, is a pastor-shepherd in the truest sense of the word…

Make no mistake about it, however, Cho and Bartel are tight. They have spent many hours in prayer and conversation over the decision to unite their ministries. They speak in almost reverent tones of each other. It is clear in an interview in May that they enjoy each other’s company.

“We’ve been dating way too long,” says Cho. “My wife is a little jealous of Pastor Ray. I did tell her, though, that when the merger happens in June, we’re not kissing.” [Read full article]

Almost three months have passed and I get frequent emails and questions, internally and externally, asking in some form or another: “How’s it going?”

Well, it’s been going well – on the most part.  But, let me be honest.  It hasn’t always been easy and it’s painful to see some folks that are really struggling.  It’s been a challenge but the benefits and pluses far outweigh the negatives.  The two churches are were VERY different and that’s both the beauty and challenge.  On the most part, I would say that about 80% of the church community are flowing with things.  However, there’s about 10% from the former Interbay “Community” that naturally and understandably are struggling with this process called c-h-a-n-g-e.  About 10%+ from Quest are struggling because returning to the “traditional” building from our cafe space/quest ethos exemplifies much of what they fled away from – “institutional religion.”

Another way to put it is that “the honeymoon’s over.”  The pastoral staff have tried to be pastorally sensitive – especially to the older Interbay community but more change is coming.  Before the churches decided to come together, the leadership team at Quest clearly explained to Interbay some of the change that would need to take place.  And so, that time has come.  This upcoming Sunday, we’ll begin 27 days of renovation.  While there won’t be any major changes, people will be walking into a dramatically different looking sanctuary on Sunday, September 23.  Here are some of the renovations that will take place. *We’re still receiving donations if you’ve got a few thousand dollars you’d like to give away as a tax-deductible donation.

If Quest folks [meaning the WHOLE church] are reading this blog, thanks both for your courage and your patience. Yes, the honeymoon’s over but even deeper days are ahead.  I sincerely believe that.  We can soon stop worrying about stuff and focus on the heart of Quest:  Soul, Community, Justice and Compassion, and Global Presence.

merger4.jpg

copy-of-_c027619.jpg

pictures by Leo Chen Photography

Filed under: church, ministry, quest church, religion

1. Jerry says:

Eugene:

I’m always encouraged to hear these stories and only hope that they’ll happen more frequently.

2. Matt says:

Its a small point, but Interbay, though older and mostly white (more Swedish than Anglo I would guess) is also “urban” in a geographical sense (though I understand one can use the adjective in a broader sense as well).

3. Jennifer says:

I think this is a very good merger, and I have done everything to put my heart into it. I am so very glad we are where we are.

But, as someone in the 10% on the Quest side, I can honestly say this has been a hard transition for me.

It just takes a while for trust to grow. I know that’s probably true on both sides 🙂 For me, finding Quest was a real breath of fresh air and – I’m just being vulnerable here – it has been frightening to think about it becoming the kind of modern, Evangelical (in the bad sense), stuffy church that I’ve walked away from.

I think this is going to become a beautiful thing, but we’ve got to walk together, and come to trust each other for a while. And that will just take some time. I’m glad we’re here, and I’m glad for this process, and am looking forward to the future together.

Eugene, I do want to thank you for your sensitive leadership in all of this. That has been a real blessing.

4. DS says:

Eugene,
    Honestly, I think the hardest aspect of the transition has been the preaching. I like Pastor Ray alot and am excited to have him as part of the larger staff since everyone is so young. I know I speak for others when I say that it’s been tough to not have you teaching regularly. I was glad to read last Sunday that you’ll be back teaching regularly soon. Peace out.

5. Jennifer says:

DS,

I have really enjoyed getting to know Ray a little bit through kid’s camp and other things. I like him and respect him. But, oh man, I am right there with about missing Eugene as doing the main teaching. I am anxious to get back on track with that.

6. e cho says:

we’re trying to honor the “transition plan” to have pastor ray teach about half for the first six months. with so many new folks and transition, it’s been intentional to get the other pastors/staff exposed as well. i’m excited to be teaching regularly as well. my hands and arms are starting to get out of shape.

7. Blake says:

I too am rather stoked about what our beautiful community will look like several month’s from now, even moreso 5 years from now. 🙂

Sounds like I’m in the minority here, but I’ve really been enjoying Pastor Ray’s teaching. Not that I enjoy your teaching any less P.E. I just really find Pastor Ray to be a good teacher.

8. e cho says:

We are very blessed to have good teachers like Ray and others on staff. Very blessed.

9. Merging with Emerging

Inspirerende historie om en 65 år gammel tradisjonell kirke som slår seg sammen med en seks år gammel urban, multietnisk kirke. Det er tydeligvis mulig. (via)

10. Rick L in Tx says:

Eugene, I dropped by after reading your post in Jesus Creed. Why don’t you invite Ray to do a guest blog on yours? I agree with you that it would be a valued addition to the conversation. If he’s hesitant, tell him Rick L in Texas thinks he ought to do it too!

11. Jason Powell says:

Hi Eugene,

My name is Jason Powell and I live in Phoenix, AZ. I am poised to become the interim senior pastor at a struggling, small, 10 year old, Covenant church plant here in Phoenix. I will probably be facing many of the same struggles you have (helping an older, traditional cov. church into the 21st century). I emailed you a few days ago…don’t know if you got it. I would love to connect with you if you have the time to glean some wisdom, tips, etc. I’m good friends with Pat Stark from Genesis here in Phoenix. Great to hear about what you guys are doing…I’m praying for you.

It. Still. Hurts.
#TamirRice Incredible news: @onedayswages is projecting to have our most impactful year as we grant out $1.3 million dollars! Thank you so much for your prayers and support...please read on to learn how you can join in our work.

As you gather with family, friends, and loved ones for Thanksgiving and the holidays, I wanted to share an opportunity. Often times, when I speak to people about the privilege of generosity, I remind them, "You don't have to but you get to." It's so true.

My wife and I (and our three kids) started ODW in 2009. We felt the Holy Spirit convicting us to give up our year's salary. It wasn't an easy thing to say "Yes" or "Amen" to but we made the decision to obey. As a result, it took us about three years to save, simplify, and sell off things we didn't need.

It's been an incredible journey as we've learned so much about the heart of God and God's love for the hurting and vulnerable around the world - particularly those living in extreme poverty. ODW is a small, scrappy, grassroots organization (with just 3 full-time employees) but since our launch, we've raised nearly $6 million dollars to help those living in extreme poverty: clean water and sanitation, education, maternal health, human trafficking, refugee crisis, hunger, and the list goes on and on.

So, here's my humble ask: As we do this work, would you consider making a pledge to support our work...so that we can keep doing this work with integrity and excellence?
You can make a one time gift or make monthly pledge of just $25 (or more). Thanks so much for considering this: http://onedayswages.org/give (link in bio, too) Don't just count your blessings. Bless others with your blessings. Here, there, everywhere. Be a blessing for this blesses our Father in Heaven and builds the Kingdom of God.

#ReThinkRegugees #WeWelcomeRefugees
@onedayswages Grateful. Still reflecting on the letters that I've received from classmates and students that have come before me and after me. Never imagined all that God would have in store for me. Lots of humbling things but in the midst of them, there were literally thousands upon thousands of daily decisions and choices to be faithful. That's what matters. Seen or unseen. Noticed or unnoticed. You do your best and sometimes you stumble and fumble along but nevertheless, seeking to be faithful.

Also, you know you're getting old when your school honors you with a Distinguished Alumni Award. Lol. 47 is the new 27. Or something like that. Here's to the next 47. In our culture, we can be so obsessed with the "spectacular" or "glamorous." The Church often engagws in thia language and paradigm...but what if God has called many of us to small, ordinary things?

Will we still be faithful?
Will we still go about such things with great love and joy?

I recently came across this picture taken by @mattylew, one of our church staff...and I started tearing up: This is my mother; in her 70s; with realities of some disabilities that make it difficult for her to stand up and sit down...but here she is on her knees and prostate in prayer. She doesn't have any social media accounts, barely knows how to use her smartphone, doesn't have a platform, hasn't written a book, doesn't have any titles in our church, isn't listed as a leader or an expert or a consultant or a guru. But she simply seeks to do her best - by God's grace - to be faithful to God. She prays for hours every day inteceding for our family, our church, and the larger world.

Even if we're not noticed or celebrated or elevated...let's be faithful. Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant. And not even successful in the eyes of the world.

Be faithful. Amen. #notetoself (and maybe helpful for someone else)

At times, we have to say ‘NO’ to good things to say ‘YES’ to the most important things.

We can't do it all.