christian hostages in afghanistan – 1 month

On July 19, 2007, 23 Korean Christian relief workers [16 women and 7 men] went to Afghanistan on a short term relief and mission trip.  The majority of them were from Saemmul Presbyterian Church in Bundang, Korea [just south of Seou].  Thus far, two of the male hostages – Pastor Bae Hyung Kyu and Shim Seong Min – have been killed and two of the female hostages were recently released.  After one month, 19 hostages still remain in captivity and their lives still remain uncertain.

184731249-m.jpg

While it is VERY clear that these individuals were Christians, it’s also very clear that their “mission” was to demonstrate the Gospel through care and compassion. People are making the mistake of assuming that this hostage situation took place BECAUSE of these Korean Christians.  They have suddenly become culprits and ceased to be the victims of a grave human rights violation.

As this hostage situation enters its one month mark, let’s renew our commitment to pray and advocate for the remaining hostages.   Spread the word. Shout. Cry. Pray. Blog. Kneel, stand, and shout in solidarity.  But don’t be silent.  Love wins.

Relevant Links and Reads:  Daily Updates; Wikipedia Entry on Korean Hostages; Todd Kim’s Blog on Hostage Situation; Newsweek Exclusive:  Taliban – Why we took the Koreans?; Love Letter from Husband to Wife ; Hostage Families’ Pleas to Taliban ; Families Unite and Pray for Hostages [Baptist Press]; Costly Commitment [blog]; Michelle Malkin – one of the few “visible” voices expressing outrage; Silence of the GodBlogosphere is Deafening; Avaaz.org Petition for Release of Hostages; Families Seek Solace and Comfort [NY Times]; Plight of the Families [JoongAng News]

hostages1.jpg

Filed under: christianity, religion

1. […] Tomorrow is the ONE MONTH MARK of this hostage crisis.  Let’s continue to pray and advocate for our fellow brother and sisters.  19 hostages still remain in captivity with the Taliban. […]

2. Paulas says:

Hi, Cho!

thank you for regular update, we do care for our brothers and sisters in Afaganistan and in our prayers we are always lifting them up. in my place people hardly hear about them, so I do continue to read articles on blogs and other sources and provid the information so that my friends here also can pray for the situation.

keep updating.

Paulas

3. Mark Peach says:

Thanks so much for the daily updates and specifics on what to pray. I continue to pray daily for this situation.

4. Deneen says:

Thank you for the consistent updates on the Korean hostages. I am in a state of disbelief at how little I hear of the hostages, outside of your blog and the Korean news websites that you listed.

I work for a Korean company, and none of my co-workers have even mentioned let alone discussed the hostages.

I am praying for the safe release of the remaining hostages, as well as for the families of the hostages and the country of South Korea.

5. Rand Millar says:

Saturday Greetings Mr. Eugene Cho.

In my reconnoitering of the internet, your site does appear to be the most constant in its attention to the plight of the hostages (and their families and fellow church members). Many thanks for your good work. One thing you may rely on is that they are remembered every Sunday in prayer by the congregations of the thousands of Korean Christian churches throughout the USA and Canada. To put a further edge on the matter, it is exceedingly easy to imagine that each one of them is one of our own church members, teaching Sunday school or going out on short-term or long-term missions.

Whether in unspeakable captivity or in interminable waiting, each person concerned must see this as a trial of faith.

Thank you dearly for tending the candle.

6. Thanks, Eugene, for the updates on the hostages. I’m reading with great interest and am glad that while the media has put this story on the back burner there are those who care. Thanks again for taking the time to keep us in the know.

7. I never even knew about this situation!

8. rogueminister says:

Praise God for these individuals who realize that taking up your cross really means you may have to die for your commitment to Christ. I do pray that their faithfulness will bear witness to the Kingdom of God and that the remaining hostages will be released.

9. Eugene,

I care and I am praying for the release of these hostages. I am praying that God receives the maximum glory in all that happens.

Shane Trammel

10. Gabriel says:

Its my prayer that God who ensured the timely release of Peter will authorise quickly the release of our brethren,my luv to their families.

Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. Thanks for your prayers.
I have numerous stories to share but for now, the following came up in every conversation with Iraqi/Syrian refugees:

1 Have tea with us. Or coffee. Or juice. Or something with lots of sugar in it. Or better yet, all of the above.
2 We want peace. We want security.
3 We hate ISIS.
4 We just want to go home.
5 Please don't forget us.

Please don't forget them... Father, please bless and protect these Iraqi and Syrian "refugee" children that have already endured so much. Protect their hearts and mind from unfathomable trauma. Plant seeds of hope and vision in their lives. And as we pray for them, teach us how to advocate for them. Amen. "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." -  local Iraqi priest whose church has welcomed many "relatives" to their church's property

It's always a privilege to be invited into peoples' home for tea - even if it's a temporary tent. This is an extended Yezidi family that fled the Mosul, Iraq area because of ISIS. It's indeed true that Christians were targeted by ISIS and thatbstory muat be shared but other minority groups like the Yezidis were also targeted. Some of their heartbreaking stories included the kidnapping of their sister. They shared that their father passed away shortly of a "broken heart." The conversation was emotional but afterwards, we asked each other for permission to take photos. Once the selfies came out, the real smiles came out.

So friends: Pray for Iraq. Pray for the persecuted Church. Pray for Christians, minority groups like the Yezidis who fear they will e completely wiped out in the Middle East,, and Muslims alike who are all suffering under ISIS. Friends: I'm traveling in the Middle East this week - Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. (Make sure you follow my pics/stories on IG stories). Specifically, I'm here representing @onedayswages to meet, learn, and listen to pastors, local leaders, NGOs, and of course directly from refugees from within these countries - including many from Syria.

For security purposes, I haven't been able to share at all but I'm now able to start sharing some photos and stories. For now, I'll be sharing numerous photos through my IG stories and will be sharing some longer written pieces in couple months when ODW launches another wave of partnerships to come alongside refugees in these areas. Four of us are traveling together also for the purpose of creating a short documentary that we hope to release early next year.

While I'm on my church sabbatical, it's truly a privilege to be able to come to these countries and to meet local pastors and indigenous leaders that tirelessly pursue peace and justice, and to hear directly from refugees. I've read so many various articles and pieces over the years and I thought I was prepared but it has been jarring, heartbreaking,  and gut wrenching. In the midst of such chaos, there's hope but there's also a lot of questions, too.

I hope you follow along as I share photos, stories, and help release this mini-documentary. Please tag friends that might be interested.

Please pray for safety, for empathy, for humility and integrity, for divine meetings. Pray that we listen well; To be present and not just be a consumer of these vulnerable stories. That's my biggest prayer.

Special thanks to @worldvisionusa and @worldrelief for hosting us on this journey. 9/11
Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.

Today, I had some gut wrenching and heart breaking conversations about war, violence, and peacemaking. Mostly, I listened. Never in my wildest imagination did I envision having these conversations on 9/11 of all days. I wish I could share more now but I hope to later after I process them for a few days.

But indeed: Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.
May it be so. Amen. Mount Rainier is simply epic. There's nothing like flying in and out of Seattle.

#mountrainier
#seattle
#northwestisbest

• Boom. Final fishing trip. Grateful. A nice way to end my 3 month sabbatical. #catchandrelease twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 20 hours ago
  • Christians: May we be guided by the Scriptures that remind us, "Seek first the Kingdom of God" and not, "Seek first the kingdom of America." || 21 hours ago
  • Every convo with Iraqi/Syrian refugees included: 1 Have tea with us 2 We want peace 3 We hate ISIS 4 We want to go home 5 Don't forget us || 3 days ago
  • Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan to assess @OneDaysWages' partnerships & to film mini-documentary on refugee crisis. So many emotions. || 3 days ago
  • Pray for Mexico. For those mourning loved ones. For those fighting for life - even under rubbles. For rescue workers. Lord, in your mercy. || 3 days ago
  • Don't underestimate what God can do through you. God has a very long history of using foolish and broken people for His purposes and glory. || 6 days ago