christian hostages in afghanistan – 1 month

On July 19, 2007, 23 Korean Christian relief workers [16 women and 7 men] went to Afghanistan on a short term relief and mission trip.  The majority of them were from Saemmul Presbyterian Church in Bundang, Korea [just south of Seou].  Thus far, two of the male hostages – Pastor Bae Hyung Kyu and Shim Seong Min – have been killed and two of the female hostages were recently released.  After one month, 19 hostages still remain in captivity and their lives still remain uncertain.

184731249-m.jpg

While it is VERY clear that these individuals were Christians, it’s also very clear that their “mission” was to demonstrate the Gospel through care and compassion. People are making the mistake of assuming that this hostage situation took place BECAUSE of these Korean Christians.  They have suddenly become culprits and ceased to be the victims of a grave human rights violation.

As this hostage situation enters its one month mark, let’s renew our commitment to pray and advocate for the remaining hostages.   Spread the word. Shout. Cry. Pray. Blog. Kneel, stand, and shout in solidarity.  But don’t be silent.  Love wins.

Relevant Links and Reads:  Daily Updates; Wikipedia Entry on Korean Hostages; Todd Kim’s Blog on Hostage Situation; Newsweek Exclusive:  Taliban – Why we took the Koreans?; Love Letter from Husband to Wife ; Hostage Families’ Pleas to Taliban ; Families Unite and Pray for Hostages [Baptist Press]; Costly Commitment [blog]; Michelle Malkin – one of the few “visible” voices expressing outrage; Silence of the GodBlogosphere is Deafening; Avaaz.org Petition for Release of Hostages; Families Seek Solace and Comfort [NY Times]; Plight of the Families [JoongAng News]

hostages1.jpg

Filed under: christianity, religion

1. […] Tomorrow is the ONE MONTH MARK of this hostage crisis.  Let’s continue to pray and advocate for our fellow brother and sisters.  19 hostages still remain in captivity with the Taliban. […]

2. Paulas says:

Hi, Cho!

thank you for regular update, we do care for our brothers and sisters in Afaganistan and in our prayers we are always lifting them up. in my place people hardly hear about them, so I do continue to read articles on blogs and other sources and provid the information so that my friends here also can pray for the situation.

keep updating.

Paulas

3. Mark Peach says:

Thanks so much for the daily updates and specifics on what to pray. I continue to pray daily for this situation.

4. Deneen says:

Thank you for the consistent updates on the Korean hostages. I am in a state of disbelief at how little I hear of the hostages, outside of your blog and the Korean news websites that you listed.

I work for a Korean company, and none of my co-workers have even mentioned let alone discussed the hostages.

I am praying for the safe release of the remaining hostages, as well as for the families of the hostages and the country of South Korea.

5. Rand Millar says:

Saturday Greetings Mr. Eugene Cho.

In my reconnoitering of the internet, your site does appear to be the most constant in its attention to the plight of the hostages (and their families and fellow church members). Many thanks for your good work. One thing you may rely on is that they are remembered every Sunday in prayer by the congregations of the thousands of Korean Christian churches throughout the USA and Canada. To put a further edge on the matter, it is exceedingly easy to imagine that each one of them is one of our own church members, teaching Sunday school or going out on short-term or long-term missions.

Whether in unspeakable captivity or in interminable waiting, each person concerned must see this as a trial of faith.

Thank you dearly for tending the candle.

6. Thanks, Eugene, for the updates on the hostages. I’m reading with great interest and am glad that while the media has put this story on the back burner there are those who care. Thanks again for taking the time to keep us in the know.

7. I never even knew about this situation!

8. rogueminister says:

Praise God for these individuals who realize that taking up your cross really means you may have to die for your commitment to Christ. I do pray that their faithfulness will bear witness to the Kingdom of God and that the remaining hostages will be released.

9. Eugene,

I care and I am praying for the release of these hostages. I am praying that God receives the maximum glory in all that happens.

Shane Trammel

10. Gabriel says:

Its my prayer that God who ensured the timely release of Peter will authorise quickly the release of our brethren,my luv to their families.

You can do it, sun. Break through the clouds. I love her. Saturday morning date at Pike Market with @minheejcho. Enjoying the final day of sun before 6 months of rain and gray. Not lol'ing. Some of my moat memorable travels have been to Myanmar (otherwise known as Burma). In fact, the vision of @onedayswages began on my first visit to this country in 2006. On a recent visit, I began learning about the Rohingya people. Sadly, it has escalated to horrendous, genocidal proportions.

Thus far, about 500,000 people have been driven out from Myanmar through violence...with most going to Bangledesh...regulated to a massive refugee camp. Stateless. Undocumented. Minority groups. Dehumanized. Homes and villages destroyed. And so much more unspeakable atrocities.

Yes, it's complex and messy. It always is. But the root of this injustice as the case for so much brokeness in the world is the sin of dehumanizing one anotber as..."the other." May we see each person, including the Rohingya people, as one who is created in the image of God. It's the truth and the remedy to the incessant dehumanization that goes on in our world.

Lord, in your mercy. The obedience of discipleship which includes the work of justice is a marathon. It's long, arduous, and emotional. Be tenacious. But also take care of yourself. Create healthy rhythms. Don't burn out. We need you for the marathon. Friends, don't give up. Press on. In the midst of so much chaos in the world, may we continue to cling to the hope of the whole Gospel. May we cling unto Jesus:

Way maker!
Miracle worker!
Promise keeper!
Light in the darkness!
That is who You are!

What an encounter with the Holy Spirit at @seattlequest today. Grateful for our worship team, the gospel choir, and the Audio/Visual team. Thank you Matt, Teresita, and Chris. Please thank all the volunteers for us. .
The world is broken.
But God is not yet done.
God's work of restoration