christian hostages in afghanistan – 1 month

On July 19, 2007, 23 Korean Christian relief workers [16 women and 7 men] went to Afghanistan on a short term relief and mission trip.  The majority of them were from Saemmul Presbyterian Church in Bundang, Korea [just south of Seou].  Thus far, two of the male hostages – Pastor Bae Hyung Kyu and Shim Seong Min – have been killed and two of the female hostages were recently released.  After one month, 19 hostages still remain in captivity and their lives still remain uncertain.

184731249-m.jpg

While it is VERY clear that these individuals were Christians, it’s also very clear that their “mission” was to demonstrate the Gospel through care and compassion. People are making the mistake of assuming that this hostage situation took place BECAUSE of these Korean Christians.  They have suddenly become culprits and ceased to be the victims of a grave human rights violation.

As this hostage situation enters its one month mark, let’s renew our commitment to pray and advocate for the remaining hostages.   Spread the word. Shout. Cry. Pray. Blog. Kneel, stand, and shout in solidarity.  But don’t be silent.  Love wins.

Relevant Links and Reads:  Daily Updates; Wikipedia Entry on Korean Hostages; Todd Kim’s Blog on Hostage Situation; Newsweek Exclusive:  Taliban – Why we took the Koreans?; Love Letter from Husband to Wife ; Hostage Families’ Pleas to Taliban ; Families Unite and Pray for Hostages [Baptist Press]; Costly Commitment [blog]; Michelle Malkin – one of the few “visible” voices expressing outrage; Silence of the GodBlogosphere is Deafening; Avaaz.org Petition for Release of Hostages; Families Seek Solace and Comfort [NY Times]; Plight of the Families [JoongAng News]

hostages1.jpg

Filed under: christianity, religion

1. […] Tomorrow is the ONE MONTH MARK of this hostage crisis.  Let’s continue to pray and advocate for our fellow brother and sisters.  19 hostages still remain in captivity with the Taliban. […]

2. Paulas says:

Hi, Cho!

thank you for regular update, we do care for our brothers and sisters in Afaganistan and in our prayers we are always lifting them up. in my place people hardly hear about them, so I do continue to read articles on blogs and other sources and provid the information so that my friends here also can pray for the situation.

keep updating.

Paulas

3. Mark Peach says:

Thanks so much for the daily updates and specifics on what to pray. I continue to pray daily for this situation.

4. Deneen says:

Thank you for the consistent updates on the Korean hostages. I am in a state of disbelief at how little I hear of the hostages, outside of your blog and the Korean news websites that you listed.

I work for a Korean company, and none of my co-workers have even mentioned let alone discussed the hostages.

I am praying for the safe release of the remaining hostages, as well as for the families of the hostages and the country of South Korea.

5. Rand Millar says:

Saturday Greetings Mr. Eugene Cho.

In my reconnoitering of the internet, your site does appear to be the most constant in its attention to the plight of the hostages (and their families and fellow church members). Many thanks for your good work. One thing you may rely on is that they are remembered every Sunday in prayer by the congregations of the thousands of Korean Christian churches throughout the USA and Canada. To put a further edge on the matter, it is exceedingly easy to imagine that each one of them is one of our own church members, teaching Sunday school or going out on short-term or long-term missions.

Whether in unspeakable captivity or in interminable waiting, each person concerned must see this as a trial of faith.

Thank you dearly for tending the candle.

6. Thanks, Eugene, for the updates on the hostages. I’m reading with great interest and am glad that while the media has put this story on the back burner there are those who care. Thanks again for taking the time to keep us in the know.

7. I never even knew about this situation!

8. rogueminister says:

Praise God for these individuals who realize that taking up your cross really means you may have to die for your commitment to Christ. I do pray that their faithfulness will bear witness to the Kingdom of God and that the remaining hostages will be released.

9. Eugene,

I care and I am praying for the release of these hostages. I am praying that God receives the maximum glory in all that happens.

Shane Trammel

10. Gabriel says:

Its my prayer that God who ensured the timely release of Peter will authorise quickly the release of our brethren,my luv to their families.

"He must become greater; I must become less." - John 3:30 We have to remind ourselves of this truth every day lest we forget:

Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant.

Be faithful.

PS: Also, it helps to get some Vitamin D especially if you live in the rainy Northwest Thank you, Brooklyn, for the reminder. Umm, @jlin7 is a Christian but he wasn't very Christlike with me on the basketball court. He muscled me into the paint, dunked on me, mentioned my momma, and then said, "Stick with preaching." Just kidding. Kind of.

If you haven't heard, Jeremy Lin is donating his one games wages (approximately $140,000) and an additional $100 for every 3 pointer made to support Girls' Empowerment and Education through @onedayswages. That game is this Friday vs the Boston Celtics!

Join his campaign as he's inviting his fans to donate just $7. - http://onedayswages.org/jlin

Did you know that 32 million girls of lower secondary school age are not enrolled in school.

Did you know that every year of secondary school increases a girl’s future earning power by 20 percent.

Did you know that if all girls in Sub-Saharan Africa, South and West Asia had a secondary education, child marriage would fall by 64 percent.

We can't change the entire world but we can impact the lives of one, few, and in some cases...many.

#jeremylin #jlin #linsanity #onedayswages Don't be held captive to either praise or criticism.

Know who you are.
Know what you're about.
Know WHO you serve.

The answer to who you serve makes all the difference... It's the day after International Women's Day - and it's still important to celebrate the contribution of women in our lives, society, and world. As we honor women all around the world, I'm also reminded of how women and children are those who are most deeply impacted by injustice - especially poverty.

Sadly, I have witnessed this reality in too many places. ​In 2012, I traveled to a remote area in Eastern Kenya as part of a @onedayswages response to a famine that struck the Horn of Africa region. This famine impacted nearly 13 million people and according to some sources, took the lives of about 250,000 people. During my trip there, I had the chance of meeting many people but the person that still remains in my memory was a Muslim woman named Sahara.

She was so hospitable in inviting us to her small and temporary home. During our conversation, I learned that ​Sahara traveled 300 kilometers (a little under 200 miles) – some by cart and some by foot – as they sought to escape the worst drought that has impacted East Africa (Kenya, Somalia, and Ethiopia) in the past 60 years.

This is not a misprint.
200.

She traveled about 200 miles on cart and foot. ​And all along, she was ill. If you look closely ​at the photo, you might notice the large lump in her throat - likely a large cancerous tumor.​ She did not travel alone. She traveled with her husband who I was not able to meet because he was staying with one of his five other wives in this polygamist community.  She did not travel alone. She also traveled with her six children – the youngest being about 1 and the oldest being around 8. She had just given birth to her sixth child when they began her journey. Her youngest was severely malnourished when they arrived to this new settlement in a town called Benane.
Sahara and her children all survived this journey. They survived because she persisted.
In honor of Sahara...and so many other women who keep...keeping on.