christian hostages in afghanistan – 1 month

On July 19, 2007, 23 Korean Christian relief workers [16 women and 7 men] went to Afghanistan on a short term relief and mission trip.  The majority of them were from Saemmul Presbyterian Church in Bundang, Korea [just south of Seou].  Thus far, two of the male hostages – Pastor Bae Hyung Kyu and Shim Seong Min – have been killed and two of the female hostages were recently released.  After one month, 19 hostages still remain in captivity and their lives still remain uncertain.

184731249-m.jpg

While it is VERY clear that these individuals were Christians, it’s also very clear that their “mission” was to demonstrate the Gospel through care and compassion. People are making the mistake of assuming that this hostage situation took place BECAUSE of these Korean Christians.  They have suddenly become culprits and ceased to be the victims of a grave human rights violation.

As this hostage situation enters its one month mark, let’s renew our commitment to pray and advocate for the remaining hostages.   Spread the word. Shout. Cry. Pray. Blog. Kneel, stand, and shout in solidarity.  But don’t be silent.  Love wins.

Relevant Links and Reads:  Daily Updates; Wikipedia Entry on Korean Hostages; Todd Kim’s Blog on Hostage Situation; Newsweek Exclusive:  Taliban – Why we took the Koreans?; Love Letter from Husband to Wife ; Hostage Families’ Pleas to Taliban ; Families Unite and Pray for Hostages [Baptist Press]; Costly Commitment [blog]; Michelle Malkin – one of the few “visible” voices expressing outrage; Silence of the GodBlogosphere is Deafening; Avaaz.org Petition for Release of Hostages; Families Seek Solace and Comfort [NY Times]; Plight of the Families [JoongAng News]

hostages1.jpg

Filed under: christianity, religion

1. […] Tomorrow is the ONE MONTH MARK of this hostage crisis.  Let’s continue to pray and advocate for our fellow brother and sisters.  19 hostages still remain in captivity with the Taliban. […]

2. Paulas says:

Hi, Cho!

thank you for regular update, we do care for our brothers and sisters in Afaganistan and in our prayers we are always lifting them up. in my place people hardly hear about them, so I do continue to read articles on blogs and other sources and provid the information so that my friends here also can pray for the situation.

keep updating.

Paulas

3. Mark Peach says:

Thanks so much for the daily updates and specifics on what to pray. I continue to pray daily for this situation.

4. Deneen says:

Thank you for the consistent updates on the Korean hostages. I am in a state of disbelief at how little I hear of the hostages, outside of your blog and the Korean news websites that you listed.

I work for a Korean company, and none of my co-workers have even mentioned let alone discussed the hostages.

I am praying for the safe release of the remaining hostages, as well as for the families of the hostages and the country of South Korea.

5. Rand Millar says:

Saturday Greetings Mr. Eugene Cho.

In my reconnoitering of the internet, your site does appear to be the most constant in its attention to the plight of the hostages (and their families and fellow church members). Many thanks for your good work. One thing you may rely on is that they are remembered every Sunday in prayer by the congregations of the thousands of Korean Christian churches throughout the USA and Canada. To put a further edge on the matter, it is exceedingly easy to imagine that each one of them is one of our own church members, teaching Sunday school or going out on short-term or long-term missions.

Whether in unspeakable captivity or in interminable waiting, each person concerned must see this as a trial of faith.

Thank you dearly for tending the candle.

6. Thanks, Eugene, for the updates on the hostages. I’m reading with great interest and am glad that while the media has put this story on the back burner there are those who care. Thanks again for taking the time to keep us in the know.

7. I never even knew about this situation!

8. rogueminister says:

Praise God for these individuals who realize that taking up your cross really means you may have to die for your commitment to Christ. I do pray that their faithfulness will bear witness to the Kingdom of God and that the remaining hostages will be released.

9. Eugene,

I care and I am praying for the release of these hostages. I am praying that God receives the maximum glory in all that happens.

Shane Trammel

10. Gabriel says:

Its my prayer that God who ensured the timely release of Peter will authorise quickly the release of our brethren,my luv to their families.

To support both the equality of women and the dignity of the unborn feels like a very lonely place to be but I know we're not alone. May we press on. And may we lead with hope.

I'm at the Women's March in Seattle to show my solidarity with my wife, my mothers, my daughters, and the female congregants of my church. I'm also here to model for my son what we believe in our home. Many people have already expressed their disappointment, dismay, and disgust with my decision. Such is life. We will always disappoint someone. And that's also a lot of words that begin with "d." I'm here not because I agree or disagree with every single statement or sign at this march (although I really liked this one) but because as a Christian, I believe in the fundamental truth that women are fearfully and wonderfully made in the image of God. They are to be valued, heard, and respected.

And because I believe we can't be a flourishing society without the flourishing of women. And because the Church cannot be the Church without the gifts and voices of women. All the gifts of women.

And in doing so, may we together honor the sanctity of life - from womb to tomb. Collaboration.

col·lab·o·ra·tion
kəˌlabəˈrāSH(ə)n/
noun

the action of working with someone or a group of others  to produce or create something.

May we hold our logos, egos, and tribalism have their place. May we hold them loosely for they too shall pass. May we collaborate for the sake of the greater Kingdom of God ... which endures forever. As we honor Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., don't forget the God behind the man. The one true God who deposited this dream into MLK is still speaking to us today. Are we listening?

Be courageous. Be brave.

Being invited by the King Family to speak at the MLK worship service at Ebenezer Baptist Church in 2016 remains one of the most unexpected honors of my life. On the right is his daughter, Dr. Bernice King and his sister, Dr. Christine King Farris. Walking throughstreet markets in different parts of the world is the best. Soaking in the culture. Listening to the local language and music. Enjoying the amazing cuisine. Meeting new friends. Praying for the Gospel to penetrate. #ChiangRai Blessed be the local, indigenous leaders for it is they who live in the very communities they seek to love. For it is they who understand their context and culture...better than a Westerner ever will. For it is they who will continue to tenaciously pursue a better world with hope, justice and love when visitors like me leave.

Yes, blessed be the local, indigenous leaders. What an honor and privilege to celebrate with the on-the-ground local @thefreedomstory team to celebrate the recent opening of their Education and Resource Center for the local youth in Chiang Rai, Thailanf. This was made possible through a partnership and matching grant by @onedayswages and The Freedom Story.

While it was an honor to be there to cut the cord and say a few words, this is an example of collaboration. Much love to the Freedom Story team including their co-founders Tawee Donchai and @Rachel Goble, to their staff who live in the community, who understand their context and culture, and who tenaciously pursue a better world with hope, justice and love. And of course, much love to the students themselves for they each matter. Finally, to each person that donated to @onedayswages to make this grant possible.

May hundreds and even thousands of youth be impacted, encouraged, and mentored. May they capture a glimpse of God's love for them.

Photo: @benjaminedwards

• Really loved this sign from the women's march from one of our church congregants. Counter cultural. Subversive. L… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 4 hours ago
  • To support both the equality of women & the dignity of the unborn can be lonely but we're not alone. Lead with hope: instagram.com/p/BPjMGTOhMjL/ || 5 hours ago
  • To support both the equality of women & the dignity of the unborn feels like a very lonely place to be but we're not alone. May we press on. || 8 hours ago
  • Going to the Women's March in Seattle bc as a Christian, I believe women are fearfully and wonderfully made and are to be heard & respected. || 11 hours ago
  • Christians: May we be guided by the Scriptures that remind us, "Seek first the Kingdom of God" and not, "Seek first the kingdom of America." || 12 hours ago
  • God bless America...so that we may be a blessing to the hurting, poor, vulnerable, immigrants, oppressed, marginalized. God bless America. || 1 day ago