what a world

Consider how fast our world is changing.  The world I wake up to the next morning will be different than this day.  The world is changing so fast.  I think about the first time I used something called electronic mail 10 years ago.  It was so new and scary…

But to demonstrate how much the world has changed, consider my children:

• My 8 year old daughter is upset that I didn’t buy a Prius.  She learned about hybrids and environmental issues in school and knows of other friends whose parents drive a hybrid.  I embarrass her.
  • My 6 year old daughter checks her email daily now – even though she rarely gets new email.
  • My wife and 4 year old son flew out to San Francisco couple days ago.  As my four year old son hugs me goodbye, he says to me, “Dad, I’ll miss you.  I’ll Skype you.”

What the heck?  Can you imagine how much our world will change for our children’s children?

I thought I was so cool with my Atari 2600, Sony Walkman, and Commodore 64.  I think I still have my walkman somewhere.

What do you miss?  Or rather, what do you fondly remember?

Filed under: family, technology

1. nancy says:

too funny,

i miss the old polaroid cameras.

2. Kim Aliczi says:

I wouldn’t say I “miss” them – but I fondly remember my dad coming home one day with one of the very first calcultors – it performed only basic functions, and cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $30.00 – a FORTUNE back then!

I do miss the early days of being in business with my husband, we had a small but growing sound and lighting company. Our first company comuputer had a whopping 10 mB of RAM and took 5-14″ floppies. Sigh…memories!

3. Wayne Park says:

Great American Hero and Voltron

4. Jerry says:

I miss going to the movies for $1.50. This was in the early 80s.

5. insipid "g" says:

I am JUST waiting to bust out my tapered stone-wash jeans!!! Yeah!!!

6. mszig says:

I remember rotary dial phones, record players, tape recorders and the purple mimeograph papers we would get at school…. those really stunk!

7. “My 8 year old daughter is upset that I didn’t buy a Prius. She learned about hybrids and environmental issues in school and knows of other friends whose parents drive a hybrid. I embarrass her.”

Don’t feel too bad. If she only knew the kind of environmental damage done by the car batteries when they are disposed of she wouldn’t be that upset. Not to mention that those hybrid batteries are thus far prone to dying and need to be replace every 3-5 years- if you’re lucky.

8. Todd Kim says:

Star Blazers when I was 6-7 years old, Redline dirt bikes when I was 9 and Toyota MR2 & Honda CRX when I was 14 years old… oh yeah… Keds in middle school

9. Paulas says:

Hi, Cho!

Yah, Yah, its changing a lot. I always think about this. right now I am a single guy and still I think what will happen when my kids will be growing like me? when they start heaving a children, our ideas and views will be very traditional to them and may not relate to their current context. they will accuse us , ” my dad is kind of narrow minded, and very traditional, he just doesn’t understand us.” … as some times we say it now to our parent’s generation.

I am very interested to know how the world will be changed. and also praying for the Lord’s mercies upon the generation to come.

10. Tracy says:

I miss receiving personal letters in the mail. Something about them meant “soul”/”heart”.

11. Joseon says:

I miss rap songs with records getting scratched.

12. Blake says:

I echo Tracy’s sentiment about postal mail. Sure, email is amazing and handy, but I really miss getting letters writen by hand on carefully chosen paper. 🙂 Sigh, those were the days.

I miss high-tops with three pairs of neon colored laces! That was hot stuff. I also miss Ducktails, Goof Troop, Darkwing Duck, Rescue Rangers, and Home Improvement. 🙂

13. Blake says:

Oh yeah, I totally forgot:

– Monkey Bars (don’t see these much anymore)
    – Sand boxes
    – Doing “Cherry Bombs” on a swing set
    – Teeter-totters
    – Playgrounds built with the purpose of kids having fun as their primary objective, even if they got hurt occasionally. Too many modern playgrounds seem to be designed for safety at the significant expense of creative fun.

Window seat. For the win. As leaders, we must not see ministry and family as competing commitments.  We must not sacrifice our marriage and kids for the sake of "ministry." How can we? Loving our families IS ministry & good leadership.

And on a side note, we took this goofy photo for Mother's Day last Sunday at @seattlequest. I was shocked! What in the world happened to our kids? Our 13 year old son blocked four of my shots on the basketball court yesterday. He's since been grounded... I fear that we ask God to move mountains, forgetting that God also wants to move us.

In fact, it's possible that we are that mountain. Time flies. The eldest is wrapping up her 1st year in college and the college tours have begun for the 2nd child. The youngest enters high school in the Fall. Can't say enough about how proud Minhee and I are of the kids - not just of their accomplishments but the people they are and are becoming.

But...man...we can't wait to party it up when we're emptynesters. Party at our house. It's going to be epic. Humbled. Grateful. Mindful of God's grace and faithfulness in my life. It's all grace... It's an unexpected honor to be invited back - even with some mini-drama - to @princetonseminary to receive the 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award - exactly 25 years after starting my journey there as a student in 1992. Wow.

Princeton isn't necessarily for everyone. And to say that I loved everything about my experience would be misleading but it was very formative. Ir challenged me to examine why I believed in what I believed. It reminded me that God could handle my questions. It prepared me for a post-Christian context where I am not entitled to be heard but I had to earn the right to be heard, and of course, it taught me that all is good with a Philly cheese steak at Hoagie Haven.

No one is an island to themselves and I am certainly an example of that. Many people - women and men, young and old, and of many backgrounds - prayed, encouraged, mentored, and loved me along the way. Grateful for my professors at seminary, my many classmates, and the numerous fellow staff and co-laborers I've had the privilege of serving Christ with past and present. And of course, I'm forever inspired by my parents, my children, and my wife, Minhee. Thank you for your faith, hope, and love...and oh, for your patience. Only your family will know and see both the best and worst of you. They've seen my worst...and keep on believing in me.

Thank you again, PTS and President Barnes, for this honor. Then, today, and tomorrow...by God's grace, just striving to be faithful to my Lord and Savior...to preach and live out the convictions of the whole Gospel. Amen. So humbled and grateful to be with @catalystleader in Cincinnati to encourage leaders from all around the country about the invitation to Uncommon Fellowship.

Preached from John 4. We can talk, preach, sing, philsophize, liturgize, and spit rhymes about Samaria...but we still have to talk through Samaria.

• Heartbroken. Praying for Manchester & the UK. For those mourning loved ones. For those injured and fighting for life. Lord, in your mercy. || 1 day ago
  • Window seat. For the win. https://t.co/yG66Sm2bvu || 3 days ago
  • As leaders, we must not sacrifice our family for the sake of ministry because loving our family IS good leadership: instagram.com/p/BUVAGVwg-5z/ || 3 days ago
  • We long for a Gospel that comforts but resist the Gospel that disrupts. Having the former without the latter seduces us into complacency. || 3 days ago
  • Love wins in the end but in the meanwhile,it fights for things that matter. Love isn't sentimental. It's both gentle & fierce. Love endures. || 4 days ago
  • This is what we love to do. Empowering local, indigenous leaders to serve their own communities. Thanks for your su… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 5 days ago