what a world

Consider how fast our world is changing.  The world I wake up to the next morning will be different than this day.  The world is changing so fast.  I think about the first time I used something called electronic mail 10 years ago.  It was so new and scary…

But to demonstrate how much the world has changed, consider my children:

• My 8 year old daughter is upset that I didn’t buy a Prius.  She learned about hybrids and environmental issues in school and knows of other friends whose parents drive a hybrid.  I embarrass her.
  • My 6 year old daughter checks her email daily now – even though she rarely gets new email.
  • My wife and 4 year old son flew out to San Francisco couple days ago.  As my four year old son hugs me goodbye, he says to me, “Dad, I’ll miss you.  I’ll Skype you.”

What the heck?  Can you imagine how much our world will change for our children’s children?

I thought I was so cool with my Atari 2600, Sony Walkman, and Commodore 64.  I think I still have my walkman somewhere.

What do you miss?  Or rather, what do you fondly remember?

Filed under: family, technology

1. nancy says:

too funny,

i miss the old polaroid cameras.

2. Kim Aliczi says:

I wouldn’t say I “miss” them – but I fondly remember my dad coming home one day with one of the very first calcultors – it performed only basic functions, and cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $30.00 – a FORTUNE back then!

I do miss the early days of being in business with my husband, we had a small but growing sound and lighting company. Our first company comuputer had a whopping 10 mB of RAM and took 5-14″ floppies. Sigh…memories!

3. Wayne Park says:

Great American Hero and Voltron

4. Jerry says:

I miss going to the movies for $1.50. This was in the early 80s.

5. insipid "g" says:

I am JUST waiting to bust out my tapered stone-wash jeans!!! Yeah!!!

6. mszig says:

I remember rotary dial phones, record players, tape recorders and the purple mimeograph papers we would get at school…. those really stunk!

7. “My 8 year old daughter is upset that I didn’t buy a Prius. She learned about hybrids and environmental issues in school and knows of other friends whose parents drive a hybrid. I embarrass her.”

Don’t feel too bad. If she only knew the kind of environmental damage done by the car batteries when they are disposed of she wouldn’t be that upset. Not to mention that those hybrid batteries are thus far prone to dying and need to be replace every 3-5 years- if you’re lucky.

8. Todd Kim says:

Star Blazers when I was 6-7 years old, Redline dirt bikes when I was 9 and Toyota MR2 & Honda CRX when I was 14 years old… oh yeah… Keds in middle school

9. Paulas says:

Hi, Cho!

Yah, Yah, its changing a lot. I always think about this. right now I am a single guy and still I think what will happen when my kids will be growing like me? when they start heaving a children, our ideas and views will be very traditional to them and may not relate to their current context. they will accuse us , ” my dad is kind of narrow minded, and very traditional, he just doesn’t understand us.” … as some times we say it now to our parent’s generation.

I am very interested to know how the world will be changed. and also praying for the Lord’s mercies upon the generation to come.

10. Tracy says:

I miss receiving personal letters in the mail. Something about them meant “soul”/”heart”.

11. Joseon says:

I miss rap songs with records getting scratched.

12. Blake says:

I echo Tracy’s sentiment about postal mail. Sure, email is amazing and handy, but I really miss getting letters writen by hand on carefully chosen paper. 🙂 Sigh, those were the days.

I miss high-tops with three pairs of neon colored laces! That was hot stuff. I also miss Ducktails, Goof Troop, Darkwing Duck, Rescue Rangers, and Home Improvement. 🙂

13. Blake says:

Oh yeah, I totally forgot:

– Monkey Bars (don’t see these much anymore)
    – Sand boxes
    – Doing “Cherry Bombs” on a swing set
    – Teeter-totters
    – Playgrounds built with the purpose of kids having fun as their primary objective, even if they got hurt occasionally. Too many modern playgrounds seem to be designed for safety at the significant expense of creative fun.

Country living.
I like. The secret to being grateful is no secret. You choose to be grateful. Then you do it again and again. Every day. If you forget, start again. Back to fishing...I mean, umm...back to writing a book. There's no such thing as a self-made person. Someone believed, encouraged, and invested in you. Be grateful and be that someone for others.

Taking a break from the sabbatical...to partner in ministry in Denver at Cherry Hills Church and at the CRU staff conference. It was such a gift to be able to encourage a handful of folks one-to-one, a small group of Asian-American leaders from EPIC, and the larger group of 5000 staff during one of the sessions.

I've been personally blessed, challenged, encouraged, exhorted, and convicted by so many who have poured into my life - friends, acquaintances, and even strangers - and I hope to do that for others as I seek to be faithful to Christ.

Thank you, Lord.
#cru17 Nothing grows by itself. If something matters to us, may we be intentional about growing it.

Invest. Pray. Plant. Water. Nurture. Repeat. God sees and knows us. In fact, God knows everything about us.

Not just the good we try so hard to project but even the mess we often seek to hide.

Let this soak in: Not only are we fully known but in Christ, we are fully pursued and loved.

This is grace.