what a world

Consider how fast our world is changing.  The world I wake up to the next morning will be different than this day.  The world is changing so fast.  I think about the first time I used something called electronic mail 10 years ago.  It was so new and scary…

But to demonstrate how much the world has changed, consider my children:

• My 8 year old daughter is upset that I didn’t buy a Prius.  She learned about hybrids and environmental issues in school and knows of other friends whose parents drive a hybrid.  I embarrass her.
  • My 6 year old daughter checks her email daily now – even though she rarely gets new email.
  • My wife and 4 year old son flew out to San Francisco couple days ago.  As my four year old son hugs me goodbye, he says to me, “Dad, I’ll miss you.  I’ll Skype you.”

What the heck?  Can you imagine how much our world will change for our children’s children?

I thought I was so cool with my Atari 2600, Sony Walkman, and Commodore 64.  I think I still have my walkman somewhere.

What do you miss?  Or rather, what do you fondly remember?

Filed under: family, technology

1. nancy says:

too funny,

i miss the old polaroid cameras.

2. Kim Aliczi says:

I wouldn’t say I “miss” them – but I fondly remember my dad coming home one day with one of the very first calcultors – it performed only basic functions, and cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $30.00 – a FORTUNE back then!

I do miss the early days of being in business with my husband, we had a small but growing sound and lighting company. Our first company comuputer had a whopping 10 mB of RAM and took 5-14″ floppies. Sigh…memories!

3. Wayne Park says:

Great American Hero and Voltron

4. Jerry says:

I miss going to the movies for $1.50. This was in the early 80s.

5. insipid "g" says:

I am JUST waiting to bust out my tapered stone-wash jeans!!! Yeah!!!

6. mszig says:

I remember rotary dial phones, record players, tape recorders and the purple mimeograph papers we would get at school…. those really stunk!

7. “My 8 year old daughter is upset that I didn’t buy a Prius. She learned about hybrids and environmental issues in school and knows of other friends whose parents drive a hybrid. I embarrass her.”

Don’t feel too bad. If she only knew the kind of environmental damage done by the car batteries when they are disposed of she wouldn’t be that upset. Not to mention that those hybrid batteries are thus far prone to dying and need to be replace every 3-5 years- if you’re lucky.

8. Todd Kim says:

Star Blazers when I was 6-7 years old, Redline dirt bikes when I was 9 and Toyota MR2 & Honda CRX when I was 14 years old… oh yeah… Keds in middle school

9. Paulas says:

Hi, Cho!

Yah, Yah, its changing a lot. I always think about this. right now I am a single guy and still I think what will happen when my kids will be growing like me? when they start heaving a children, our ideas and views will be very traditional to them and may not relate to their current context. they will accuse us , ” my dad is kind of narrow minded, and very traditional, he just doesn’t understand us.” … as some times we say it now to our parent’s generation.

I am very interested to know how the world will be changed. and also praying for the Lord’s mercies upon the generation to come.

10. Tracy says:

I miss receiving personal letters in the mail. Something about them meant “soul”/”heart”.

11. Joseon says:

I miss rap songs with records getting scratched.

12. Blake says:

I echo Tracy’s sentiment about postal mail. Sure, email is amazing and handy, but I really miss getting letters writen by hand on carefully chosen paper.🙂 Sigh, those were the days.

I miss high-tops with three pairs of neon colored laces! That was hot stuff. I also miss Ducktails, Goof Troop, Darkwing Duck, Rescue Rangers, and Home Improvement.🙂

13. Blake says:

Oh yeah, I totally forgot:

– Monkey Bars (don’t see these much anymore)
    – Sand boxes
    – Doing “Cherry Bombs” on a swing set
    – Teeter-totters
    – Playgrounds built with the purpose of kids having fun as their primary objective, even if they got hurt occasionally. Too many modern playgrounds seem to be designed for safety at the significant expense of creative fun.

It appears I brought a little Seattle to the NYC. Drizzle fest. 24 hour gathering with a small group of leaders from around the country. Learning. Listening. Asking hard questions. Head exploding. Heart trying to have hope. As I soaked in this breathtaking sunrise this morning above the clouds, I felt compelled to pray for so my places in America and around the world that are experiencing such pain, heartache, injustice, and violence. At times, it feels so overwhelming but in prayer, I was reminded of these words from John 16:33. As we keep striving, working, hoping, preaching, loving, truthtelling, reconciling, repenting, forgiving, dismantling, peacemaking, Kingdom building...may we fix our eyes on Christ: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” - John 16:33 Grateful for a very full weekend of ministry and preaching in Toronto, Canada (GTA). Such a privilege to partner with @worldvisioncan @wvcollective to advocate for the most vulnerable around the world. God is so gracious. A true honor to meet and encourage local pastors, lecture at Tyndale University & Seminary (photo), and preach at Richmond Hills Community Church, Compass Point Bible Church, and New City Church. Thank you, Lord, that you use broken and imperfect people like me to speak of Your love. Today, Minhee and I dropped off our eldest child at her college. We have been thinking and praying about this day for many years. On some days, we hoped it would never come. On other days, we couldn't wait for it to come. On some days, we prayed for time to stop and other days, we prayed with anticipation.

A flood of thoughts rushed my mind.

Is she ready?
Have we done enough?
Have we taught her enough?
What if this? What if that?

And I came home.
And I wept.
Forget my street cred.
I miss her. I love her.
She will always be my little baby.

Happy life. - Eugenius 3:16

I still remember that time, many years ago, when Minhee was pregnant with our first child. She had left her family and friends in Korea just two years before. Her morning sickness was horrible and when she finally had an appetite, she craved her favorite Korean food from certain restaurants in her neighborhood in Seoul, Korea. I had no way of getting that food from those restaurants so I actually said, "How about a Whopper? Big Mac?" Sorry honey. Eat away. You deserve it.

• Wow. Go Huskies. We're. Officially. Back. Go Dawgs. Pac 12 Football. || 3 hours ago
  • It appears I brought a little Seattle to the NYC. Drizzle fest. 24 hour gathering with a small… instagram.com/p/BK_409Ohzr1/ || 9 hours ago
  • Life has its share of pain but don't get down and cynical. Stay engaged. Self-care. Keep learning and growing. Remain hopeful. Be steadfast. || 14 hours ago
  • The Gospel, not social justice, is our identity as believers but the Gospel compels us to love God/love people incl. work 4 the common good. || 2 days ago
  • Folks often ask me, "What is social justice?" "Social justice" are fancier words for "Give a Damn". || 2 days ago
  • RT @EugeneCho: Just met Edna, a sister-in-Christ. She's 90 years old. She met Jesus when she was 85. You're never too young or too old to f… || 2 days ago