what a world

Consider how fast our world is changing.  The world I wake up to the next morning will be different than this day.  The world is changing so fast.  I think about the first time I used something called electronic mail 10 years ago.  It was so new and scary…

But to demonstrate how much the world has changed, consider my children:

• My 8 year old daughter is upset that I didn’t buy a Prius.  She learned about hybrids and environmental issues in school and knows of other friends whose parents drive a hybrid.  I embarrass her.
  • My 6 year old daughter checks her email daily now – even though she rarely gets new email.
  • My wife and 4 year old son flew out to San Francisco couple days ago.  As my four year old son hugs me goodbye, he says to me, “Dad, I’ll miss you.  I’ll Skype you.”

What the heck?  Can you imagine how much our world will change for our children’s children?

I thought I was so cool with my Atari 2600, Sony Walkman, and Commodore 64.  I think I still have my walkman somewhere.

What do you miss?  Or rather, what do you fondly remember?

Filed under: family, technology

1. nancy says:

too funny,

i miss the old polaroid cameras.

2. Kim Aliczi says:

I wouldn’t say I “miss” them – but I fondly remember my dad coming home one day with one of the very first calcultors – it performed only basic functions, and cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $30.00 – a FORTUNE back then!

I do miss the early days of being in business with my husband, we had a small but growing sound and lighting company. Our first company comuputer had a whopping 10 mB of RAM and took 5-14″ floppies. Sigh…memories!

3. Wayne Park says:

Great American Hero and Voltron

4. Jerry says:

I miss going to the movies for $1.50. This was in the early 80s.

5. insipid "g" says:

I am JUST waiting to bust out my tapered stone-wash jeans!!! Yeah!!!

6. mszig says:

I remember rotary dial phones, record players, tape recorders and the purple mimeograph papers we would get at school…. those really stunk!

7. “My 8 year old daughter is upset that I didn’t buy a Prius. She learned about hybrids and environmental issues in school and knows of other friends whose parents drive a hybrid. I embarrass her.”

Don’t feel too bad. If she only knew the kind of environmental damage done by the car batteries when they are disposed of she wouldn’t be that upset. Not to mention that those hybrid batteries are thus far prone to dying and need to be replace every 3-5 years- if you’re lucky.

8. Todd Kim says:

Star Blazers when I was 6-7 years old, Redline dirt bikes when I was 9 and Toyota MR2 & Honda CRX when I was 14 years old… oh yeah… Keds in middle school

9. Paulas says:

Hi, Cho!

Yah, Yah, its changing a lot. I always think about this. right now I am a single guy and still I think what will happen when my kids will be growing like me? when they start heaving a children, our ideas and views will be very traditional to them and may not relate to their current context. they will accuse us , ” my dad is kind of narrow minded, and very traditional, he just doesn’t understand us.” … as some times we say it now to our parent’s generation.

I am very interested to know how the world will be changed. and also praying for the Lord’s mercies upon the generation to come.

10. Tracy says:

I miss receiving personal letters in the mail. Something about them meant “soul”/”heart”.

11. Joseon says:

I miss rap songs with records getting scratched.

12. Blake says:

I echo Tracy’s sentiment about postal mail. Sure, email is amazing and handy, but I really miss getting letters writen by hand on carefully chosen paper. 🙂 Sigh, those were the days.

I miss high-tops with three pairs of neon colored laces! That was hot stuff. I also miss Ducktails, Goof Troop, Darkwing Duck, Rescue Rangers, and Home Improvement. 🙂

13. Blake says:

Oh yeah, I totally forgot:

– Monkey Bars (don’t see these much anymore)
    – Sand boxes
    – Doing “Cherry Bombs” on a swing set
    – Teeter-totters
    – Playgrounds built with the purpose of kids having fun as their primary objective, even if they got hurt occasionally. Too many modern playgrounds seem to be designed for safety at the significant expense of creative fun.

It. Still. Hurts.
#TamirRice Incredible news: @onedayswages is projecting to have our most impactful year as we grant out $1.3 million dollars! Thank you so much for your prayers and support...please read on to learn how you can join in our work.

As you gather with family, friends, and loved ones for Thanksgiving and the holidays, I wanted to share an opportunity. Often times, when I speak to people about the privilege of generosity, I remind them, "You don't have to but you get to." It's so true.

My wife and I (and our three kids) started ODW in 2009. We felt the Holy Spirit convicting us to give up our year's salary. It wasn't an easy thing to say "Yes" or "Amen" to but we made the decision to obey. As a result, it took us about three years to save, simplify, and sell off things we didn't need.

It's been an incredible journey as we've learned so much about the heart of God and God's love for the hurting and vulnerable around the world - particularly those living in extreme poverty. ODW is a small, scrappy, grassroots organization (with just 3 full-time employees) but since our launch, we've raised nearly $6 million dollars to help those living in extreme poverty: clean water and sanitation, education, maternal health, human trafficking, refugee crisis, hunger, and the list goes on and on.

So, here's my humble ask: As we do this work, would you consider making a pledge to support our work...so that we can keep doing this work with integrity and excellence?
You can make a one time gift or make monthly pledge of just $25 (or more). Thanks so much for considering this: http://onedayswages.org/give (link in bio, too) Don't just count your blessings. Bless others with your blessings. Here, there, everywhere. Be a blessing for this blesses our Father in Heaven and builds the Kingdom of God.

#ReThinkRegugees #WeWelcomeRefugees
@onedayswages Grateful. Still reflecting on the letters that I've received from classmates and students that have come before me and after me. Never imagined all that God would have in store for me. Lots of humbling things but in the midst of them, there were literally thousands upon thousands of daily decisions and choices to be faithful. That's what matters. Seen or unseen. Noticed or unnoticed. You do your best and sometimes you stumble and fumble along but nevertheless, seeking to be faithful.

Also, you know you're getting old when your school honors you with a Distinguished Alumni Award. Lol. 47 is the new 27. Or something like that. Here's to the next 47. In our culture, we can be so obsessed with the "spectacular" or "glamorous." The Church often engagws in thia language and paradigm...but what if God has called many of us to small, ordinary things?

Will we still be faithful?
Will we still go about such things with great love and joy?

I recently came across this picture taken by @mattylew, one of our church staff...and I started tearing up: This is my mother; in her 70s; with realities of some disabilities that make it difficult for her to stand up and sit down...but here she is on her knees and prostate in prayer. She doesn't have any social media accounts, barely knows how to use her smartphone, doesn't have a platform, hasn't written a book, doesn't have any titles in our church, isn't listed as a leader or an expert or a consultant or a guru. But she simply seeks to do her best - by God's grace - to be faithful to God. She prays for hours every day inteceding for our family, our church, and the larger world.

Even if we're not noticed or celebrated or elevated...let's be faithful. Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant. And not even successful in the eyes of the world.

Be faithful. Amen. #notetoself (and maybe helpful for someone else)

At times, we have to say ‘NO’ to good things to say ‘YES’ to the most important things.

We can't do it all.