undiscovered beauty and talent

By now, many folks have heard the story of Paul Potts.  If you haven’t, you need to see the video below! He has become an overnight sensation.  An incredible story of a 36-year-old British man who was making a living as a mobile cellphone salesman.  Check out the story line…it’s made for Hollywood:  Bullied as kid and consequently, resorts to singing; Has ambitions of being an opera singer but gives up his dreams; Wasn’t even going to audition for the talent show…But alas, he enters and wins the Britain’s Got Talent show [equivalent to ‘American Idol’ here in the Stateside]. It’s a little mushy but what a wonderful story of a hidden talent that is now uncovered for others to enjoy. I have a reputation of a tough man to maintain but I have to confess I got a little teary-eyed the first time I saw this video. The last time I cried was when the Seattle Seahawks lost to the Pittsburgh Steelers in the Super Bowl couple years back. That was painful but that’s another story.

While there was some “controversy” of some details that revealed Paul had some vocal training, the truth seems to be that he really is an average bloke.

I have never worked as a professional singer. I have poured everything I could earn into a few lessons, but everyone taking part in this television show has had some training,’ he said yesterday.

‘My four performances with Bath Opera a few years back were all amateur. I am angry about this because I have never earned anything, although I did get petrol expenses a couple of times.’ His story is confirmed this weekend by the singing teacher who gave him lessons until Potts was forced to give up in 2003 because of illness. Potts adds that he has always been open about a trip to Italy to improve his voice. He had saved up to sing for Luciano Pavarotti in a masterclass, but had no tuition from the great tenor. [read the full interview]

What’s he going to do with the earnings? Well, he intends to pay off some debt and fix his teeth.  How average and ordinary can you get?  The bloke even has a MySpace account.  I guarantee you that you’re going to see commercials soon with a montage of his singing and ordinary folks saying, “I am Paul Potts.”

I want to resist the temptation of making this a nice “spiritual illustration” but how can one resist?  One of the thoughts that came across my mind as I was seeing this video was the thought of all the undiscovered beauty [and talent] in the lives of all people.  And maybe part of the function of the body of Christ and pastors is to serve as “talent scouts” or discoverers.

Filed under: culture

1. Bill says:

You are special, very special, a fan.

2. chad says:

pastors as “talent scouts”…
    i like that idea
    that’s one i can run with as a youth pastor!

3. Rachel says:

pe- yes! i came across this video last week, truly beautiful!

4. Janet says:

No need to apologize Eugene. I like the idea of churches, Christians, and pastors helping one another to discover the talent and beauty of each person. While it can be construed as New-Ageish, I actually think this is biblical.

Happy Discovering.

5. kd nyquist says:

I’m going to suggest that talent scouting is a sign of quality leadership in all realms, not simply limited to pastors or the like inside church walls. I think pastors have the dual responsiblity of not only uncovering gifts, but also making sure that those gifts are a means used for worship versus becoming passions that spiritually blind the talented. There is a difference between doing something for God and doing something because one is good at it.

6. Don Sturgill says:

Great point, Eugene. As believers, our job description calls for us to see the glorious potential for joy inside of a suffering individual. I was at a low point, myself, when I saw this video…and it was a living sermon to me. Just what I needed, just when I needed it. I have put up (my first ever) blog to invite others who have been touched by Paul to share their experience. Please take a look: http://www.thepaulpottsstory.com

7. Michael says:

I heard about the “real” Paul Potts story after discovering him on youtube recently and I must admit, I felt kind of…deceived? I would’ve preferred to learn about his struggles as an amateur paying for his own lesseons, unpaid amateur performances, surgery, broken collarbone, etc, instead of being led to believe this guy just showed up out of nowhere.

But after a little while, I was still alright with him and I’m a fan. I just don’t like being taken advantage of by the media and recording industry for profit (who does?), which Paul’s initial, sort of half-truth story seemed like.

8. Mick Daly says:

I cry EVERY time I watch Paul’s audition video (that’s dozens of times), and am proud of it! Btw, I too was born in Bristol England!

As an elder at our church I gave a message on Sunday (Journey to Joy) using Paul Potts and his video as an example of a fundamental truth that I think most churches and Christians miss: Jesus was a Man of Joy. Like Paul Potts, when we use God-given gifts and talents (even if we don’t know Him or that he gave them!), and when we use them for the benefit of others, then we give Joy and experience Joy ourselves. Just watch the judges and the audience as Paul begins to sing – that’s some kind of joyful transformation taking place.

I have a feeling that Paul does know where his talent comes from – if not, I pray he learns that truth and that he is on a Journey to Joy that ends in heaven, where Joy comes from and where his and our Joy will be complete.

Mick

9. John Eaton says:

Amen, Gene.

The Jericho road is a long one, and there are many travelers.

John

10. Mami says:

For the record “Britain’s Got Talent” is the equivalent to “America’s Got Talent” – and “Pop Idol” is the equivalent of “American Idol.” Both shows originated in the UK.

It does appear that Paul is a natural singer and any voice coach will now welcome the opportunity to work with him.

11. Hope Anderson says:

I am just so happy for Paul Potts and his family. Much success in the future, Mr. Paul Potts! God Bless you! Hopey

12. […]  The instant judgment.  This is a familiar story, isn’t it?  I’m not talking about Paul Potts (another winning contestant in Britain’s Got Talent) but for us as Christians, Jesus […]

"He must become greater; I must become less." - John 3:30 We have to remind ourselves of this truth every day lest we forget:

Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant.

Be faithful.

PS: Also, it helps to get some Vitamin D especially if you live in the rainy Northwest Thank you, Brooklyn, for the reminder. Umm, @jlin7 is a Christian but he wasn't very Christlike with me on the basketball court. He muscled me into the paint, dunked on me, mentioned my momma, and then said, "Stick with preaching." Just kidding. Kind of.

If you haven't heard, Jeremy Lin is donating his one games wages (approximately $140,000) and an additional $100 for every 3 pointer made to support Girls' Empowerment and Education through @onedayswages. That game is this Friday vs the Boston Celtics!

Join his campaign as he's inviting his fans to donate just $7. - http://onedayswages.org/jlin

Did you know that 32 million girls of lower secondary school age are not enrolled in school.

Did you know that every year of secondary school increases a girl’s future earning power by 20 percent.

Did you know that if all girls in Sub-Saharan Africa, South and West Asia had a secondary education, child marriage would fall by 64 percent.

We can't change the entire world but we can impact the lives of one, few, and in some cases...many.

#jeremylin #jlin #linsanity #onedayswages Don't be held captive to either praise or criticism.

Know who you are.
Know what you're about.
Know WHO you serve.

The answer to who you serve makes all the difference... It's the day after International Women's Day - and it's still important to celebrate the contribution of women in our lives, society, and world. As we honor women all around the world, I'm also reminded of how women and children are those who are most deeply impacted by injustice - especially poverty.

Sadly, I have witnessed this reality in too many places. ​In 2012, I traveled to a remote area in Eastern Kenya as part of a @onedayswages response to a famine that struck the Horn of Africa region. This famine impacted nearly 13 million people and according to some sources, took the lives of about 250,000 people. During my trip there, I had the chance of meeting many people but the person that still remains in my memory was a Muslim woman named Sahara.

She was so hospitable in inviting us to her small and temporary home. During our conversation, I learned that ​Sahara traveled 300 kilometers (a little under 200 miles) – some by cart and some by foot – as they sought to escape the worst drought that has impacted East Africa (Kenya, Somalia, and Ethiopia) in the past 60 years.

This is not a misprint.
200.

She traveled about 200 miles on cart and foot. ​And all along, she was ill. If you look closely ​at the photo, you might notice the large lump in her throat - likely a large cancerous tumor.​ She did not travel alone. She traveled with her husband who I was not able to meet because he was staying with one of his five other wives in this polygamist community.  She did not travel alone. She also traveled with her six children – the youngest being about 1 and the oldest being around 8. She had just given birth to her sixth child when they began her journey. Her youngest was severely malnourished when they arrived to this new settlement in a town called Benane.
Sahara and her children all survived this journey. They survived because she persisted.
In honor of Sahara...and so many other women who keep...keeping on.