facebook and social networking?

thanks to a few emails, got curious and took the plunge into facebook for a test drive.  i enjoy connecting through this blog and try to devote half hour several days/week to share some thoughts so i was reticent to try out this facebook thingie mainly because of time management issues.

so, as i’m playing around with facebook, i [think i] like the features but i can’t quite get a grasp on it.  fwiw, here’s my facebook ID.  for you facebook experts or addicts, here are some questions:

• why does it seem so busy with news, feeds, applications, etc?
  • why am i getting news of people sharing that they’re doing their nails?
  • is there a way to limit or even delete the majority of feeds?
  • is there any privacy?  can one be completely invisible in facebook without deleting their account?  it’s weird to see that people have written something on someone’s walls…
  • why do you like using facebook?
  • and why is this self-valued at 2 billion dollars?

my status:  trying to figure out what the heck facebook does.  feel old looking through myspace and still feel old using facebook.

technology and social networking:  what a world we live in.  it’s amazing.

Filed under:

1. Dennis says:

did you sell out? 🙂

2. gar says:

heya pastor eugene,

FaceBook is an interesting site… it’s definitely a notch above MySpace IMO, if only by a little. It originally was limited only to college students & faculty (you had to have a college e-mail address to register), but it’s expanded a little. I actually got sucked in when my old HS kids invited me to join.

Anyways, some responses to your questions… 😉

1. The crazy news feeds are from everyone who’s listed as your “friend”. People call it the “stalker script”, and yep, it can be edited… just click on the [preferences] link on your homepage to access the controls… it should directly across to the right of News Feed.

2. Beats me. People constantly are updating their status.

3. See first response.

4. Yep, there’s privacy settings. You can make yourself unsearchable (people can’t find you via name search), you can delete / control your outgoing feed, and you can even limit the access to your profile by certain people. I guess whoever designed FaceBook wanted lots of anti-stalker features.

5. I dunno. Inflated value, perhaps?

3. e cho says:

i guess i did sell out.

gar: i really like the look of facebook. it’s clean, unclutters, etc. but it just seems to be so much info.

i think i already put the privacy settings to the lowest i can put it and i still get stuff. i like knowing what people are interested in, what groups they’re involved with, and even getting statuses, but i feel REALLY weird knowing WHEN and WHAT they’ve written on peoples’ WALLS. seems weird to me.

4. jklam says:

i think its busy with news feeds/ apps and such because the user’s interaction with the website needs to continue to change/evolve/stimulate in order to keep said user coming back for more. if facebook were just static profiles, then there would be little motivation to obsessively check facebook.

and i’d guess it’s worth 2 billion because EVERYONE is on it. it’s ridiculous. not only that, but you’ve got a ton of 18-35 year olds, people with lots of disposable income. for advertisers, its like the superbowl everyday.

5. Blake says:

I love facebook.

Granted, it has changed quite a bit in the past two years, but I still prefer it over myspace. It’s clean, uncluttered (when you don’t have too many apps), and doesn’t expose you or your information to anyone outside of facebook like MySpace does.

News Feed: What information is displayed about whom is actually controlled by the user the information is about. For instance, if I want the world to know when I post on a friend’s wall, then so be it: facebook tells the world. However, I cannot limit what I can see about other people. Does that make sense? I can’t decide that I don’t want to hear about so-and-so breaking up with their significant other, or that they’re doing their nails, etc.

One question, P.E.: Why did you turn off your wall? I can’t leave you crazy random messages anymore. 🙂

6. e cho says:

jeff: dang man. you made me feel old again. why couldn’t you have wrote 18-37 so include me in there. i’m no longer coveted…

blake: i have no idea what i did. i didn’t know i turned off the ‘wall.’ i just thought i had no friends.

7. Blake says:

Jeff: HAHAHAHAHA! 😀 Way to make our pastor feel old.

PE: 😀 Whatcha talkin’ ’bout? Yo gots plenty o’ friends! See you Sunday and have an awesome weekend!

8. kent says:

You ask good questions about content, I read some of the same thing in blogs. It seems in some blogs that what ever crosses the author’s mind that person writes it down. I have not looked at my facebook page in months, I actually cannot remember how to get there.

9. Anderson says:

In comparison to MySpace, the Facebook features blows it away IMO. The interface with MySpace is horrible IMO. It only proves that people are very interested in social networking. Until the next best thing arrives, Facebook will likely grow to be the premier site for networking.

10. Rebecca says:

Facebook, MySpace, all of these networking sites, you can argue which is better but in the end they are all the same thing. We are an info-crazy culture, wanting to know the news and gossip about everyone all the time. It’s just taken celebrity watching and transferred it to everyday life. Now everyone is a celebrity. And it’s addictive, this checking to see who has talked to whom and all. But sometimes I wonder why I am checking a Facebook page instead of just calling the person to see how they are really doing.

11. Andy says:

Funny post, I’ve just started playing around with facebook and trying to get “it” – I’ve been blown away by it and the numbers are staggering on the site (just over 1.5 Billion pageviews/day). I wouldn’t be surprised if the site is worth well north of $4-5 billion dollars – MSFT bought something like 1 Trillion ad impressions. Because of the reach, frequency and demographic of facebook, very interesting things can happen that mobilize users quickly – http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/05/24/project-agape-launches-via-facebook/ – issues of social justice can be brought to the forefront and anyone with a passion can build momentum with other users to effect change in the world much faster than ever imaginable. Facebook is here to stay and the possibilities are endless, needless to say I’m a fan.

12. e cho says:

Andy, why couldn’t have started something like Facebook? C’mon man, get to work.

13. Johnny says:

I’m loving Facebook!

Peace & Blessings

J

Grateful. Still reflecting on the letters that I've received from classmates and students that have come before me and after me. Never imagined all that God would have in store for me. Lots of humbling things but in the midst of them, there were literally thousands upon thousands of daily decisions and choices to be faithful. That's what matters. Seen or unseen. Noticed or unnoticed. You do your best and sometimes you stumble and fumble along but nevertheless, seeking to be faithful.

Also, you know you're getting old when your school honors you with a Distinguished Alumni Award. Lol. 47 is the new 27. Or something like that. Here's to the next 47. In our culture, we can be so obsessed with the "spectacular" or "glamorous." The Church often engagws in thia language and paradigm...but what if God has called many of us to small, ordinary things?

Will we still be faithful?
Will we still go about such things with great love and joy?

I recently came across this picture taken by @mattylew, one of our church staff...and I started tearing up: This is my mother; in her 70s; with realities of some disabilities that make it difficult for her to stand up and sit down...but here she is on her knees and prostate in prayer. She doesn't have any social media accounts, barely knows how to use her smartphone, doesn't have a platform, hasn't written a book, doesn't have any titles in our church, isn't listed as a leader or an expert or a consultant or a guru. But she simply seeks to do her best - by God's grace - to be faithful to God. She prays for hours every day inteceding for our family, our church, and the larger world.

Even if we're not noticed or celebrated or elevated...let's be faithful. Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant. And not even successful in the eyes of the world.

Be faithful. Amen. #notetoself (and maybe helpful for someone else)

At times, we have to say ‘NO’ to good things to say ‘YES’ to the most important things.

We can't do it all.
Pray and choose wisely.
Then invest deeply. May our compassion not just be limited to the West or to those that look like us. Lifting up the people of Iraq, Iran, and Kurdistan in prayer after the 7.3 earthquake - including the many new friends I met on a recent trip to Iraq.

The death toll rises to over 400 and over 7,000 injured in multiple cities and hundreds of villages along the Western border with Iraq.

Lord, in your mercy... We are reminded again and again...that we are Resurrection People living in a Dark Friday world.

It's been a tough, emotional, and painful week - especially as we lament the horrible tragedy of the church shootings at Sutherland Springs. In the midst of this lament, I've been carried by the hope, beauty, and promise of our baptisms last Sunday and the raw and honest testimonies of God's mercy, love, and grace.

Indeed, God is not yet done. May we take heart for Christ has overcome the world. "Without genuine relationships with the poor, we rob them of their dignity and they become mere projects. And God did not intend for anyone to become our projects." Grateful this quote from my book, Overrated, is resonating with so many folks - individuals and  NGOs. / design by @preemptivelove