facebook and social networking?

thanks to a few emails, got curious and took the plunge into facebook for a test drive.  i enjoy connecting through this blog and try to devote half hour several days/week to share some thoughts so i was reticent to try out this facebook thingie mainly because of time management issues.

so, as i’m playing around with facebook, i [think i] like the features but i can’t quite get a grasp on it.  fwiw, here’s my facebook ID.  for you facebook experts or addicts, here are some questions:

• why does it seem so busy with news, feeds, applications, etc?
  • why am i getting news of people sharing that they’re doing their nails?
  • is there a way to limit or even delete the majority of feeds?
  • is there any privacy?  can one be completely invisible in facebook without deleting their account?  it’s weird to see that people have written something on someone’s walls…
  • why do you like using facebook?
  • and why is this self-valued at 2 billion dollars?

my status:  trying to figure out what the heck facebook does.  feel old looking through myspace and still feel old using facebook.

technology and social networking:  what a world we live in.  it’s amazing.

Filed under:

1. Dennis says:

did you sell out? 🙂

2. gar says:

heya pastor eugene,

FaceBook is an interesting site… it’s definitely a notch above MySpace IMO, if only by a little. It originally was limited only to college students & faculty (you had to have a college e-mail address to register), but it’s expanded a little. I actually got sucked in when my old HS kids invited me to join.

Anyways, some responses to your questions… 😉

1. The crazy news feeds are from everyone who’s listed as your “friend”. People call it the “stalker script”, and yep, it can be edited… just click on the [preferences] link on your homepage to access the controls… it should directly across to the right of News Feed.

2. Beats me. People constantly are updating their status.

3. See first response.

4. Yep, there’s privacy settings. You can make yourself unsearchable (people can’t find you via name search), you can delete / control your outgoing feed, and you can even limit the access to your profile by certain people. I guess whoever designed FaceBook wanted lots of anti-stalker features.

5. I dunno. Inflated value, perhaps?

3. e cho says:

i guess i did sell out.

gar: i really like the look of facebook. it’s clean, unclutters, etc. but it just seems to be so much info.

i think i already put the privacy settings to the lowest i can put it and i still get stuff. i like knowing what people are interested in, what groups they’re involved with, and even getting statuses, but i feel REALLY weird knowing WHEN and WHAT they’ve written on peoples’ WALLS. seems weird to me.

4. jklam says:

i think its busy with news feeds/ apps and such because the user’s interaction with the website needs to continue to change/evolve/stimulate in order to keep said user coming back for more. if facebook were just static profiles, then there would be little motivation to obsessively check facebook.

and i’d guess it’s worth 2 billion because EVERYONE is on it. it’s ridiculous. not only that, but you’ve got a ton of 18-35 year olds, people with lots of disposable income. for advertisers, its like the superbowl everyday.

5. Blake says:

I love facebook.

Granted, it has changed quite a bit in the past two years, but I still prefer it over myspace. It’s clean, uncluttered (when you don’t have too many apps), and doesn’t expose you or your information to anyone outside of facebook like MySpace does.

News Feed: What information is displayed about whom is actually controlled by the user the information is about. For instance, if I want the world to know when I post on a friend’s wall, then so be it: facebook tells the world. However, I cannot limit what I can see about other people. Does that make sense? I can’t decide that I don’t want to hear about so-and-so breaking up with their significant other, or that they’re doing their nails, etc.

One question, P.E.: Why did you turn off your wall? I can’t leave you crazy random messages anymore. 🙂

6. e cho says:

jeff: dang man. you made me feel old again. why couldn’t you have wrote 18-37 so include me in there. i’m no longer coveted…

blake: i have no idea what i did. i didn’t know i turned off the ‘wall.’ i just thought i had no friends.

7. Blake says:

Jeff: HAHAHAHAHA! 😀 Way to make our pastor feel old.

PE: 😀 Whatcha talkin’ ’bout? Yo gots plenty o’ friends! See you Sunday and have an awesome weekend!

8. kent says:

You ask good questions about content, I read some of the same thing in blogs. It seems in some blogs that what ever crosses the author’s mind that person writes it down. I have not looked at my facebook page in months, I actually cannot remember how to get there.

9. Anderson says:

In comparison to MySpace, the Facebook features blows it away IMO. The interface with MySpace is horrible IMO. It only proves that people are very interested in social networking. Until the next best thing arrives, Facebook will likely grow to be the premier site for networking.

10. Rebecca says:

Facebook, MySpace, all of these networking sites, you can argue which is better but in the end they are all the same thing. We are an info-crazy culture, wanting to know the news and gossip about everyone all the time. It’s just taken celebrity watching and transferred it to everyday life. Now everyone is a celebrity. And it’s addictive, this checking to see who has talked to whom and all. But sometimes I wonder why I am checking a Facebook page instead of just calling the person to see how they are really doing.

11. Andy says:

Funny post, I’ve just started playing around with facebook and trying to get “it” – I’ve been blown away by it and the numbers are staggering on the site (just over 1.5 Billion pageviews/day). I wouldn’t be surprised if the site is worth well north of $4-5 billion dollars – MSFT bought something like 1 Trillion ad impressions. Because of the reach, frequency and demographic of facebook, very interesting things can happen that mobilize users quickly – http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/05/24/project-agape-launches-via-facebook/ – issues of social justice can be brought to the forefront and anyone with a passion can build momentum with other users to effect change in the world much faster than ever imaginable. Facebook is here to stay and the possibilities are endless, needless to say I’m a fan.

12. e cho says:

Andy, why couldn’t have started something like Facebook? C’mon man, get to work.

13. Johnny says:

I’m loving Facebook!

Peace & Blessings

J

To support both the equality of women and the dignity of the unborn feels like a very lonely place to be but I know we're not alone. May we press on. And may we lead with hope.

I'm at the Women's March in Seattle to show my solidarity with my wife, my mothers, my daughters, and the female congregants of my church. I'm also here to model for my son what we believe in our home. Many people have already expressed their disappointment, dismay, and disgust with my decision. Such is life. We will always disappoint someone. And that's also a lot of words that begin with "d." I'm here not because I agree or disagree with every single statement or sign at this march (although I really liked this one) but because as a Christian, I believe in the fundamental truth that women are fearfully and wonderfully made in the image of God. They are to be valued, heard, and respected.

And because I believe we can't be a flourishing society without the flourishing of women. And because the Church cannot be the Church without the gifts and voices of women. All the gifts of women.

And in doing so, may we together honor the sanctity of life - from womb to tomb. Collaboration.

col·lab·o·ra·tion
kəˌlabəˈrāSH(ə)n/
noun

the action of working with someone or a group of others  to produce or create something.

May we hold our logos, egos, and tribalism have their place. May we hold them loosely for they too shall pass. May we collaborate for the sake of the greater Kingdom of God ... which endures forever. As we honor Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., don't forget the God behind the man. The one true God who deposited this dream into MLK is still speaking to us today. Are we listening?

Be courageous. Be brave.

Being invited by the King Family to speak at the MLK worship service at Ebenezer Baptist Church in 2016 remains one of the most unexpected honors of my life. On the right is his daughter, Dr. Bernice King and his sister, Dr. Christine King Farris. Walking throughstreet markets in different parts of the world is the best. Soaking in the culture. Listening to the local language and music. Enjoying the amazing cuisine. Meeting new friends. Praying for the Gospel to penetrate. #ChiangRai Blessed be the local, indigenous leaders for it is they who live in the very communities they seek to love. For it is they who understand their context and culture...better than a Westerner ever will. For it is they who will continue to tenaciously pursue a better world with hope, justice and love when visitors like me leave.

Yes, blessed be the local, indigenous leaders. What an honor and privilege to celebrate with the on-the-ground local @thefreedomstory team to celebrate the recent opening of their Education and Resource Center for the local youth in Chiang Rai, Thailanf. This was made possible through a partnership and matching grant by @onedayswages and The Freedom Story.

While it was an honor to be there to cut the cord and say a few words, this is an example of collaboration. Much love to the Freedom Story team including their co-founders Tawee Donchai and @Rachel Goble, to their staff who live in the community, who understand their context and culture, and who tenaciously pursue a better world with hope, justice and love. And of course, much love to the students themselves for they each matter. Finally, to each person that donated to @onedayswages to make this grant possible.

May hundreds and even thousands of youth be impacted, encouraged, and mentored. May they capture a glimpse of God's love for them.

Photo: @benjaminedwards

• Really loved this sign from the women's march from one of our church congregants. Counter cultural. Subversive. L… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 4 hours ago
  • To support both the equality of women & the dignity of the unborn can be lonely but we're not alone. Lead with hope: instagram.com/p/BPjMGTOhMjL/ || 5 hours ago
  • To support both the equality of women & the dignity of the unborn feels like a very lonely place to be but we're not alone. May we press on. || 8 hours ago
  • Going to the Women's March in Seattle bc as a Christian, I believe women are fearfully and wonderfully made and are to be heard & respected. || 11 hours ago
  • Christians: May we be guided by the Scriptures that remind us, "Seek first the Kingdom of God" and not, "Seek first the kingdom of America." || 12 hours ago
  • God bless America...so that we may be a blessing to the hurting, poor, vulnerable, immigrants, oppressed, marginalized. God bless America. || 1 day ago