facebook and social networking?

thanks to a few emails, got curious and took the plunge into facebook for a test drive.  i enjoy connecting through this blog and try to devote half hour several days/week to share some thoughts so i was reticent to try out this facebook thingie mainly because of time management issues.

so, as i’m playing around with facebook, i [think i] like the features but i can’t quite get a grasp on it.  fwiw, here’s my facebook ID.  for you facebook experts or addicts, here are some questions:

• why does it seem so busy with news, feeds, applications, etc?
  • why am i getting news of people sharing that they’re doing their nails?
  • is there a way to limit or even delete the majority of feeds?
  • is there any privacy?  can one be completely invisible in facebook without deleting their account?  it’s weird to see that people have written something on someone’s walls…
  • why do you like using facebook?
  • and why is this self-valued at 2 billion dollars?

my status:  trying to figure out what the heck facebook does.  feel old looking through myspace and still feel old using facebook.

technology and social networking:  what a world we live in.  it’s amazing.

Filed under:

1. Dennis says:

did you sell out? 🙂

2. gar says:

heya pastor eugene,

FaceBook is an interesting site… it’s definitely a notch above MySpace IMO, if only by a little. It originally was limited only to college students & faculty (you had to have a college e-mail address to register), but it’s expanded a little. I actually got sucked in when my old HS kids invited me to join.

Anyways, some responses to your questions… 😉

1. The crazy news feeds are from everyone who’s listed as your “friend”. People call it the “stalker script”, and yep, it can be edited… just click on the [preferences] link on your homepage to access the controls… it should directly across to the right of News Feed.

2. Beats me. People constantly are updating their status.

3. See first response.

4. Yep, there’s privacy settings. You can make yourself unsearchable (people can’t find you via name search), you can delete / control your outgoing feed, and you can even limit the access to your profile by certain people. I guess whoever designed FaceBook wanted lots of anti-stalker features.

5. I dunno. Inflated value, perhaps?

3. e cho says:

i guess i did sell out.

gar: i really like the look of facebook. it’s clean, unclutters, etc. but it just seems to be so much info.

i think i already put the privacy settings to the lowest i can put it and i still get stuff. i like knowing what people are interested in, what groups they’re involved with, and even getting statuses, but i feel REALLY weird knowing WHEN and WHAT they’ve written on peoples’ WALLS. seems weird to me.

4. jklam says:

i think its busy with news feeds/ apps and such because the user’s interaction with the website needs to continue to change/evolve/stimulate in order to keep said user coming back for more. if facebook were just static profiles, then there would be little motivation to obsessively check facebook.

and i’d guess it’s worth 2 billion because EVERYONE is on it. it’s ridiculous. not only that, but you’ve got a ton of 18-35 year olds, people with lots of disposable income. for advertisers, its like the superbowl everyday.

5. Blake says:

I love facebook.

Granted, it has changed quite a bit in the past two years, but I still prefer it over myspace. It’s clean, uncluttered (when you don’t have too many apps), and doesn’t expose you or your information to anyone outside of facebook like MySpace does.

News Feed: What information is displayed about whom is actually controlled by the user the information is about. For instance, if I want the world to know when I post on a friend’s wall, then so be it: facebook tells the world. However, I cannot limit what I can see about other people. Does that make sense? I can’t decide that I don’t want to hear about so-and-so breaking up with their significant other, or that they’re doing their nails, etc.

One question, P.E.: Why did you turn off your wall? I can’t leave you crazy random messages anymore. 🙂

6. e cho says:

jeff: dang man. you made me feel old again. why couldn’t you have wrote 18-37 so include me in there. i’m no longer coveted…

blake: i have no idea what i did. i didn’t know i turned off the ‘wall.’ i just thought i had no friends.

7. Blake says:

Jeff: HAHAHAHAHA! 😀 Way to make our pastor feel old.

PE: 😀 Whatcha talkin’ ’bout? Yo gots plenty o’ friends! See you Sunday and have an awesome weekend!

8. kent says:

You ask good questions about content, I read some of the same thing in blogs. It seems in some blogs that what ever crosses the author’s mind that person writes it down. I have not looked at my facebook page in months, I actually cannot remember how to get there.

9. Anderson says:

In comparison to MySpace, the Facebook features blows it away IMO. The interface with MySpace is horrible IMO. It only proves that people are very interested in social networking. Until the next best thing arrives, Facebook will likely grow to be the premier site for networking.

10. Rebecca says:

Facebook, MySpace, all of these networking sites, you can argue which is better but in the end they are all the same thing. We are an info-crazy culture, wanting to know the news and gossip about everyone all the time. It’s just taken celebrity watching and transferred it to everyday life. Now everyone is a celebrity. And it’s addictive, this checking to see who has talked to whom and all. But sometimes I wonder why I am checking a Facebook page instead of just calling the person to see how they are really doing.

11. Andy says:

Funny post, I’ve just started playing around with facebook and trying to get “it” – I’ve been blown away by it and the numbers are staggering on the site (just over 1.5 Billion pageviews/day). I wouldn’t be surprised if the site is worth well north of $4-5 billion dollars – MSFT bought something like 1 Trillion ad impressions. Because of the reach, frequency and demographic of facebook, very interesting things can happen that mobilize users quickly – http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/05/24/project-agape-launches-via-facebook/ – issues of social justice can be brought to the forefront and anyone with a passion can build momentum with other users to effect change in the world much faster than ever imaginable. Facebook is here to stay and the possibilities are endless, needless to say I’m a fan.

12. e cho says:

Andy, why couldn’t have started something like Facebook? C’mon man, get to work.

13. Johnny says:

I’m loving Facebook!

Peace & Blessings

J

Father, please bless and protect these Iraqi and Syrian "refugee" children that have already endured so much. Protect their hearts and mind from unfathomable trauma. Plant seeds of hope and vision in their lives. And as we pray for them, teach us how to advocate for them. Amen. "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." -  local Iraqi priest whose church has welcomed many "relatives" to their church's property

It's always a privilege to be invited into peoples' home for tea - even if it's a temporary tent. This is an extended Yezidi family that fled the Mosul, Iraq area because of ISIS. It's indeed true that Christians were targeted by ISIS and thatbstory muat be shared but other minority groups like the Yezidis were also targeted. Some of their heartbreaking stories included the kidnapping of their sister. They shared that their father passed away shortly of a "broken heart." The conversation was emotional but afterwards, we asked each other for permission to take photos. Once the selfies came out, the real smiles came out.

So friends: Pray for Iraq. Pray for the persecuted Church. Pray for Christians, minority groups like the Yezidis who fear they will e completely wiped out in the Middle East,, and Muslims alike who are all suffering under ISIS. Friends: I'm traveling in the Middle East this week - Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. (Make sure you follow my pics/stories on IG stories). Specifically, I'm here representing @onedayswages to meet, learn, and listen to pastors, local leaders, NGOs, and of course directly from refugees from within these countries - including many from Syria.

For security purposes, I haven't been able to share at all but I'm now able to start sharing some photos and stories. For now, I'll be sharing numerous photos through my IG stories and will be sharing some longer written pieces in couple months when ODW launches another wave of partnerships to come alongside refugees in these areas. Four of us are traveling together also for the purpose of creating a short documentary that we hope to release early next year.

While I'm on my church sabbatical, it's truly a privilege to be able to come to these countries and to meet local pastors and indigenous leaders that tirelessly pursue peace and justice, and to hear directly from refugees. I've read so many various articles and pieces over the years and I thought I was prepared but it has been jarring, heartbreaking,  and gut wrenching. In the midst of such chaos, there's hope but there's also a lot of questions, too.

I hope you follow along as I share photos, stories, and help release this mini-documentary. Please tag friends that might be interested.

Please pray for safety, for empathy, for humility and integrity, for divine meetings. Pray that we listen well; To be present and not just be a consumer of these vulnerable stories. That's my biggest prayer.

Special thanks to @worldvisionusa and @worldrelief for hosting us on this journey. 9/11
Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.

Today, I had some gut wrenching and heart breaking conversations about war, violence, and peacemaking. Mostly, I listened. Never in my wildest imagination did I envision having these conversations on 9/11 of all days. I wish I could share more now but I hope to later after I process them for a few days.

But indeed: Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.
May it be so. Amen. Mount Rainier is simply epic. There's nothing like flying in and out of Seattle.

#mountrainier
#seattle
#northwestisbest Took a train to Busan. Did not encounter any zombies but I was ready just in case.

Busan. First visit to this city (couple weeks ago) and was blown away by its beauty. Also, shocked that it has become the fifth largest containment port city in the world. That's a lot of import and export.

#MyAttemptToBeTheBestSmartphonePhotographer
#Pusan #SouthKorea

• Don't underestimate what God can do through you. God has a very long history of using foolish and broken people for His purposes and glory. || 22 hours ago
  • Father, bless these Iraqi and Syrian refugee children that have already endured so much. As we pray, teach us how t… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 2 days ago
  • Pray for Iraq. Pray for persecuted Church, minority groups (Yezidis) and Muslims alike who are suffering under ISIS: instagram.com/p/BZF2j6Ngrna/ || 2 days ago
  • "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." - a local Iraqi priest || 3 days ago
  • I've been traveling through Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan. Meeting local pastors/leaders, NGOs, and refugees. Join us on IG… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 3 days ago
  • Seeking justice is part of our discipleship. In other words, seek justice not just to change the world...but to be changed more like Christ. || 6 days ago