facebook and social networking?

thanks to a few emails, got curious and took the plunge into facebook for a test drive.  i enjoy connecting through this blog and try to devote half hour several days/week to share some thoughts so i was reticent to try out this facebook thingie mainly because of time management issues.

so, as i’m playing around with facebook, i [think i] like the features but i can’t quite get a grasp on it.  fwiw, here’s my facebook ID.  for you facebook experts or addicts, here are some questions:

• why does it seem so busy with news, feeds, applications, etc?
  • why am i getting news of people sharing that they’re doing their nails?
  • is there a way to limit or even delete the majority of feeds?
  • is there any privacy?  can one be completely invisible in facebook without deleting their account?  it’s weird to see that people have written something on someone’s walls…
  • why do you like using facebook?
  • and why is this self-valued at 2 billion dollars?

my status:  trying to figure out what the heck facebook does.  feel old looking through myspace and still feel old using facebook.

technology and social networking:  what a world we live in.  it’s amazing.

Filed under:

1. Dennis says:

did you sell out? 🙂

2. gar says:

heya pastor eugene,

FaceBook is an interesting site… it’s definitely a notch above MySpace IMO, if only by a little. It originally was limited only to college students & faculty (you had to have a college e-mail address to register), but it’s expanded a little. I actually got sucked in when my old HS kids invited me to join.

Anyways, some responses to your questions… 😉

1. The crazy news feeds are from everyone who’s listed as your “friend”. People call it the “stalker script”, and yep, it can be edited… just click on the [preferences] link on your homepage to access the controls… it should directly across to the right of News Feed.

2. Beats me. People constantly are updating their status.

3. See first response.

4. Yep, there’s privacy settings. You can make yourself unsearchable (people can’t find you via name search), you can delete / control your outgoing feed, and you can even limit the access to your profile by certain people. I guess whoever designed FaceBook wanted lots of anti-stalker features.

5. I dunno. Inflated value, perhaps?

3. e cho says:

i guess i did sell out.

gar: i really like the look of facebook. it’s clean, unclutters, etc. but it just seems to be so much info.

i think i already put the privacy settings to the lowest i can put it and i still get stuff. i like knowing what people are interested in, what groups they’re involved with, and even getting statuses, but i feel REALLY weird knowing WHEN and WHAT they’ve written on peoples’ WALLS. seems weird to me.

4. jklam says:

i think its busy with news feeds/ apps and such because the user’s interaction with the website needs to continue to change/evolve/stimulate in order to keep said user coming back for more. if facebook were just static profiles, then there would be little motivation to obsessively check facebook.

and i’d guess it’s worth 2 billion because EVERYONE is on it. it’s ridiculous. not only that, but you’ve got a ton of 18-35 year olds, people with lots of disposable income. for advertisers, its like the superbowl everyday.

5. Blake says:

I love facebook.

Granted, it has changed quite a bit in the past two years, but I still prefer it over myspace. It’s clean, uncluttered (when you don’t have too many apps), and doesn’t expose you or your information to anyone outside of facebook like MySpace does.

News Feed: What information is displayed about whom is actually controlled by the user the information is about. For instance, if I want the world to know when I post on a friend’s wall, then so be it: facebook tells the world. However, I cannot limit what I can see about other people. Does that make sense? I can’t decide that I don’t want to hear about so-and-so breaking up with their significant other, or that they’re doing their nails, etc.

One question, P.E.: Why did you turn off your wall? I can’t leave you crazy random messages anymore. 🙂

6. e cho says:

jeff: dang man. you made me feel old again. why couldn’t you have wrote 18-37 so include me in there. i’m no longer coveted…

blake: i have no idea what i did. i didn’t know i turned off the ‘wall.’ i just thought i had no friends.

7. Blake says:

Jeff: HAHAHAHAHA! 😀 Way to make our pastor feel old.

PE: 😀 Whatcha talkin’ ’bout? Yo gots plenty o’ friends! See you Sunday and have an awesome weekend!

8. kent says:

You ask good questions about content, I read some of the same thing in blogs. It seems in some blogs that what ever crosses the author’s mind that person writes it down. I have not looked at my facebook page in months, I actually cannot remember how to get there.

9. Anderson says:

In comparison to MySpace, the Facebook features blows it away IMO. The interface with MySpace is horrible IMO. It only proves that people are very interested in social networking. Until the next best thing arrives, Facebook will likely grow to be the premier site for networking.

10. Rebecca says:

Facebook, MySpace, all of these networking sites, you can argue which is better but in the end they are all the same thing. We are an info-crazy culture, wanting to know the news and gossip about everyone all the time. It’s just taken celebrity watching and transferred it to everyday life. Now everyone is a celebrity. And it’s addictive, this checking to see who has talked to whom and all. But sometimes I wonder why I am checking a Facebook page instead of just calling the person to see how they are really doing.

11. Andy says:

Funny post, I’ve just started playing around with facebook and trying to get “it” – I’ve been blown away by it and the numbers are staggering on the site (just over 1.5 Billion pageviews/day). I wouldn’t be surprised if the site is worth well north of $4-5 billion dollars – MSFT bought something like 1 Trillion ad impressions. Because of the reach, frequency and demographic of facebook, very interesting things can happen that mobilize users quickly – http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/05/24/project-agape-launches-via-facebook/ – issues of social justice can be brought to the forefront and anyone with a passion can build momentum with other users to effect change in the world much faster than ever imaginable. Facebook is here to stay and the possibilities are endless, needless to say I’m a fan.

12. e cho says:

Andy, why couldn’t have started something like Facebook? C’mon man, get to work.

13. Johnny says:

I’m loving Facebook!

Peace & Blessings

J

There's no such thing as a self-made person. Someone believed, encouraged, and invested in you. Be grateful and be that someone for others.

Taking a break from the sabbatical...to partner in ministry in Denver at Cherry Hills Church and at the CRU staff conference. It was such a gift to be able to encourage a handful of folks one-to-one, a small group of Asian-American leaders from EPIC, and the larger group of 5000 staff during one of the sessions.

I've been personally blessed, challenged, encouraged, exhorted, and convicted by so many who have poured into my life - friends, acquaintances, and even strangers - and I hope to do that for others as I seek to be faithful to Christ.

Thank you, Lord.
#cru17 Nothing grows by itself. If something matters to us, may we be intentional about growing it.

Invest. Pray. Plant. Water. Nurture. Repeat. God sees and knows us. In fact, God knows everything about us.

Not just the good we try so hard to project but even the mess we often seek to hide.

Let this soak in: Not only are we fully known but in Christ, we are fully pursued and loved.

This is grace.
Amazing grace. Hairstyles change. Sideburn fads come and go but may our commitment to love, honor, respect, and be on mission together for Christ never waver.

Thank you, Minhee. I love you so much even if you made fun of my hairstyle and sideburns. I missed you, Seattle. Grateful for a time to pray, rest, retreat, read, reflect, and sabbath. I've spent the last 12 days in the woods alone. Competely alone. It's been both haunting and refreshing. Haunting because of loneliness. Refreshing because through the silence, I am reminded - again - that I'm not alone. Emmanuel.

Also, bought myself a cheap kayak and loving the solitude time in nature. Also, the kayak is paying instant dividends in my bass fishing game. #sabbathrest #bassfishing #catchandrelease