facebook and social networking?

thanks to a few emails, got curious and took the plunge into facebook for a test drive.  i enjoy connecting through this blog and try to devote half hour several days/week to share some thoughts so i was reticent to try out this facebook thingie mainly because of time management issues.

so, as i’m playing around with facebook, i [think i] like the features but i can’t quite get a grasp on it.  fwiw, here’s my facebook ID.  for you facebook experts or addicts, here are some questions:

• why does it seem so busy with news, feeds, applications, etc?
  • why am i getting news of people sharing that they’re doing their nails?
  • is there a way to limit or even delete the majority of feeds?
  • is there any privacy?  can one be completely invisible in facebook without deleting their account?  it’s weird to see that people have written something on someone’s walls…
  • why do you like using facebook?
  • and why is this self-valued at 2 billion dollars?

my status:  trying to figure out what the heck facebook does.  feel old looking through myspace and still feel old using facebook.

technology and social networking:  what a world we live in.  it’s amazing.

Filed under:

1. Dennis says:

did you sell out? 🙂

2. gar says:

heya pastor eugene,

FaceBook is an interesting site… it’s definitely a notch above MySpace IMO, if only by a little. It originally was limited only to college students & faculty (you had to have a college e-mail address to register), but it’s expanded a little. I actually got sucked in when my old HS kids invited me to join.

Anyways, some responses to your questions… 😉

1. The crazy news feeds are from everyone who’s listed as your “friend”. People call it the “stalker script”, and yep, it can be edited… just click on the [preferences] link on your homepage to access the controls… it should directly across to the right of News Feed.

2. Beats me. People constantly are updating their status.

3. See first response.

4. Yep, there’s privacy settings. You can make yourself unsearchable (people can’t find you via name search), you can delete / control your outgoing feed, and you can even limit the access to your profile by certain people. I guess whoever designed FaceBook wanted lots of anti-stalker features.

5. I dunno. Inflated value, perhaps?

3. e cho says:

i guess i did sell out.

gar: i really like the look of facebook. it’s clean, unclutters, etc. but it just seems to be so much info.

i think i already put the privacy settings to the lowest i can put it and i still get stuff. i like knowing what people are interested in, what groups they’re involved with, and even getting statuses, but i feel REALLY weird knowing WHEN and WHAT they’ve written on peoples’ WALLS. seems weird to me.

4. jklam says:

i think its busy with news feeds/ apps and such because the user’s interaction with the website needs to continue to change/evolve/stimulate in order to keep said user coming back for more. if facebook were just static profiles, then there would be little motivation to obsessively check facebook.

and i’d guess it’s worth 2 billion because EVERYONE is on it. it’s ridiculous. not only that, but you’ve got a ton of 18-35 year olds, people with lots of disposable income. for advertisers, its like the superbowl everyday.

5. Blake says:

I love facebook.

Granted, it has changed quite a bit in the past two years, but I still prefer it over myspace. It’s clean, uncluttered (when you don’t have too many apps), and doesn’t expose you or your information to anyone outside of facebook like MySpace does.

News Feed: What information is displayed about whom is actually controlled by the user the information is about. For instance, if I want the world to know when I post on a friend’s wall, then so be it: facebook tells the world. However, I cannot limit what I can see about other people. Does that make sense? I can’t decide that I don’t want to hear about so-and-so breaking up with their significant other, or that they’re doing their nails, etc.

One question, P.E.: Why did you turn off your wall? I can’t leave you crazy random messages anymore. 🙂

6. e cho says:

jeff: dang man. you made me feel old again. why couldn’t you have wrote 18-37 so include me in there. i’m no longer coveted…

blake: i have no idea what i did. i didn’t know i turned off the ‘wall.’ i just thought i had no friends.

7. Blake says:

Jeff: HAHAHAHAHA! 😀 Way to make our pastor feel old.

PE: 😀 Whatcha talkin’ ’bout? Yo gots plenty o’ friends! See you Sunday and have an awesome weekend!

8. kent says:

You ask good questions about content, I read some of the same thing in blogs. It seems in some blogs that what ever crosses the author’s mind that person writes it down. I have not looked at my facebook page in months, I actually cannot remember how to get there.

9. Anderson says:

In comparison to MySpace, the Facebook features blows it away IMO. The interface with MySpace is horrible IMO. It only proves that people are very interested in social networking. Until the next best thing arrives, Facebook will likely grow to be the premier site for networking.

10. Rebecca says:

Facebook, MySpace, all of these networking sites, you can argue which is better but in the end they are all the same thing. We are an info-crazy culture, wanting to know the news and gossip about everyone all the time. It’s just taken celebrity watching and transferred it to everyday life. Now everyone is a celebrity. And it’s addictive, this checking to see who has talked to whom and all. But sometimes I wonder why I am checking a Facebook page instead of just calling the person to see how they are really doing.

11. Andy says:

Funny post, I’ve just started playing around with facebook and trying to get “it” – I’ve been blown away by it and the numbers are staggering on the site (just over 1.5 Billion pageviews/day). I wouldn’t be surprised if the site is worth well north of $4-5 billion dollars – MSFT bought something like 1 Trillion ad impressions. Because of the reach, frequency and demographic of facebook, very interesting things can happen that mobilize users quickly – http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/05/24/project-agape-launches-via-facebook/ – issues of social justice can be brought to the forefront and anyone with a passion can build momentum with other users to effect change in the world much faster than ever imaginable. Facebook is here to stay and the possibilities are endless, needless to say I’m a fan.

12. e cho says:

Andy, why couldn’t have started something like Facebook? C’mon man, get to work.

13. Johnny says:

I’m loving Facebook!

Peace & Blessings

J

"He must become greater; I must become less." - John 3:30 We have to remind ourselves of this truth every day lest we forget:

Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant.

Be faithful.

PS: Also, it helps to get some Vitamin D especially if you live in the rainy Northwest Thank you, Brooklyn, for the reminder. Umm, @jlin7 is a Christian but he wasn't very Christlike with me on the basketball court. He muscled me into the paint, dunked on me, mentioned my momma, and then said, "Stick with preaching." Just kidding. Kind of.

If you haven't heard, Jeremy Lin is donating his one games wages (approximately $140,000) and an additional $100 for every 3 pointer made to support Girls' Empowerment and Education through @onedayswages. That game is this Friday vs the Boston Celtics!

Join his campaign as he's inviting his fans to donate just $7. - http://onedayswages.org/jlin

Did you know that 32 million girls of lower secondary school age are not enrolled in school.

Did you know that every year of secondary school increases a girl’s future earning power by 20 percent.

Did you know that if all girls in Sub-Saharan Africa, South and West Asia had a secondary education, child marriage would fall by 64 percent.

We can't change the entire world but we can impact the lives of one, few, and in some cases...many.

#jeremylin #jlin #linsanity #onedayswages Don't be held captive to either praise or criticism.

Know who you are.
Know what you're about.
Know WHO you serve.

The answer to who you serve makes all the difference... It's the day after International Women's Day - and it's still important to celebrate the contribution of women in our lives, society, and world. As we honor women all around the world, I'm also reminded of how women and children are those who are most deeply impacted by injustice - especially poverty.

Sadly, I have witnessed this reality in too many places. ​In 2012, I traveled to a remote area in Eastern Kenya as part of a @onedayswages response to a famine that struck the Horn of Africa region. This famine impacted nearly 13 million people and according to some sources, took the lives of about 250,000 people. During my trip there, I had the chance of meeting many people but the person that still remains in my memory was a Muslim woman named Sahara.

She was so hospitable in inviting us to her small and temporary home. During our conversation, I learned that ​Sahara traveled 300 kilometers (a little under 200 miles) – some by cart and some by foot – as they sought to escape the worst drought that has impacted East Africa (Kenya, Somalia, and Ethiopia) in the past 60 years.

This is not a misprint.
200.

She traveled about 200 miles on cart and foot. ​And all along, she was ill. If you look closely ​at the photo, you might notice the large lump in her throat - likely a large cancerous tumor.​ She did not travel alone. She traveled with her husband who I was not able to meet because he was staying with one of his five other wives in this polygamist community.  She did not travel alone. She also traveled with her six children – the youngest being about 1 and the oldest being around 8. She had just given birth to her sixth child when they began her journey. Her youngest was severely malnourished when they arrived to this new settlement in a town called Benane.
Sahara and her children all survived this journey. They survived because she persisted.
In honor of Sahara...and so many other women who keep...keeping on.